Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak now edges ahead of Johnson as preferred PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Gove will be looking for signs of cocaine use in Sunak's background.

Also is the Tory Party ready to elect a non-white leader?

Non-Tories love to keep asking this question, in the belief the Tory party is secretly a little bit racist. It just goes to show how little they understand them.

Tories don't give a shit what colour your skin is - they care if you're good or not.

I know this is hard for the identity politics obsessed Left to get their heads around but it's the truth.
    Ah, but would you let him marry your daughter?

Before anyone shouts at me, one daughter-in-law in Thai!
    Yes.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416
    edited September 2020

MaxPB said:

That's a rubbish decision, it should be up to the teams and drivers.

Its the right decision - sport is not politics.
    For somebody called "state go away" you seem awfully keen on controlling what people do, say, or wear.
    Sorry if you check (google it perhaps ) you will find that formula one is not run by the state
    You clearly believe in individual liberty. Thus why do you support Formula 1 controlling what Lewis Hamilton wears? Who cares what he wears?
    I believe in liberty from the state . Other organisations can have whatever rules they like . As a sports fan I dont like to see politics and sport mixed . I like to watch sport for its own sake not be force fed politics through it. Especially dont like sport being used to demand arrests of people.
    You must be a very sensitive soul if you think someone wearing a T-shirt is "forcing feeding you politics". Bless you.

I suggest you toughen up and stop being such a snowflake.
    I did wish you good luck in your change of career a few weeks ago and I can see that you will make a decent pompous barrister from your posts today. I answered your questions honestly and you continue to sneer and then insult. Sort yourself out a bit
  • Options

I know this is hard for the identity politics obsessed Left to get their heads around but it's the truth.

You do realise that by your constant treatment of "the left" is some monolithic "identity politics" entity you're engaging in the exact same identity politics you deride so much.

Or is "identity politics" only bad if its an identity you don't subscribe to?
    You are a classic example of it and someone I always think of (accurately) when I think of "the Left".
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    RobD said:

RobD said:

You do realise that by your constant treatment of "the left" is some monolithic "identity politics" entity you're engaging in the exact same identity politics you deride so much.

I would say that there is a portion of "progressive" politics that tries to see everything though the lens of race. The same people seem to find successful minorities as a problem.
    I don't disagree with you. However there is a portion of those on the right who seem to treat everybody on "the left" as some monolithic entity. That's identity politics too and it's just as bad.

Some people may need to check their hypocrisy.
    Was he, or was he referring to the identity politics obsessed Left, a subset of the Left?
    It's always the same. It's always "the left". It doesn't mean anything, but it propagates the whole "us vs them" culture war narrative which is not helpful whatsoever.
    Except it wasn't "the left" that he was referring to.
    Rubbish. It was the same yesterday that the National Trust engaging with some nutters somehow means the whole organisation has capitulated to one side of the culture war. It's just ridiculous.
  • Options

You are a classic example of it and someone I always think of (accurately) when I think of "the Left".
    Except I prescribe to none of the views you seem to think "the left" are obsessed with.

You just don't like me because I'm happy to call out your hypocrisy.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,224

MaxPB said:

For somebody called "state go away" you seem awfully keen on controlling what people do, say, or wear.
    Sorry if you check (google it perhaps ) you will find that formula one is not run by the state
    You clearly believe in individual liberty. Thus why do you support Formula 1 controlling what Lewis Hamilton wears? Who cares what he wears?
    I believe in liberty from the state . Other organisations can have whatever rules they like . As a sports fan I dont like to see politics and sport mixed . I like to watch sport for its own sake not be force fed politics through it. Especially dont like sport being used to demand arrests of people.
    You must be a very sensitive soul if you think someone wearing a T-shirt is "forcing feeding you politics". Bless you.

All of the above is why sports often have very broad bans on anything vaguely political. It always offends someone - and you then get into judging what is and is not acceptable.

What would you think if a Chinese athlete at the next Olympics wears a symbol *supporting* the actions of the Chinese Government in Tibet?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,885

MaxPB said:

Total liberty from the state?
    Can I dump an old mattress in front of your driveway without the state being able to take action against me?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I did wish you good luck in your change of career a few weeks ago and I can see that you will make a decent pompous barrister from your posts today. I answered your questions honestly and you continue to sneer and then insult. Sort yourself out a bit
    Sort yourself out a bit and get over yourself. It's a t-shirt. It's not a personal insult. Who cares? Have you got nothing better to whinge about?

I don't want to be a barrister so your insult isn't even accurate.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

MaxPB said:

Can I dump an old mattress in front of your driveway without the state being able to take action against me?
    No not total liberty of course. But I do believe that the balance is too much towards the state not the individual (or local groups even ) these days
  • Options

MaxPB said:

All of the above is why sports often have very broad bans on anything vaguely political. It always offends someone - and you then get into judging what is and is not acceptable.

What would you think if a Chinese athlete at the next Olympics wears a symbol *supporting* the actions of the Chinese Government in Tibet?
    I assume @state_go_away also opposes the presence of poppys on football shirts?

It all comes down to "politics is only acceptable in sport if I agree with it". The left are guilty of this. The right are guilty of this.
  • Options
    @state_go_away

People aren't that interested in politics: they like to switch off and have light hearted fun. When they're doing that they especially don't like being preached at.

The problem we have right now is that BLM messages are permeating into all forms of sport, music and talent shows - which people like to watch and enjoy as a form of leisure, fun and relaxation; an escape from the real world.

The advocates of the BLM messages see that sort of resistance and objection as closet racism and therefore it provides evidence to them that people need even *more* of it.

That's really stupid.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902

F1 setting itself up to be a spicy race. Forgot that it didn't start at 2pm so missed the start. Doh!

Spicy.....its Sheff United vs Leeds at the moment...now that's what I call spicy.
    What are those small championship clubs up to?
    Watched a bit of Stoke vs Preston as I was finally able to get my TV to work... None of the fake crowd noise nonsense !
  • Options
    Dele Alli again not in the Spurs squad....days are numbered there.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,526
    edited September 2020
    eek said:

dixiedean said:

Very sadly it would be a way to demolish the newly found Red Wall.
    I take no pleasure in that at all.
    If Gove went down that route I suspect it would explode in his face.

As to Sunak as leader - is there any *detailed* polling on his popularity? Regional, male/female etc?
    Only part of that wall - if Sunak was leader all Yorkshire seats and teesside seats would regard him as one of their own for he represents a Yorkshire seat and is frequently seen around Teesside (Red wall seats next to his constituency).
    Really?

He was born in Southampton, Educated at Winchester College, PPE at Oxford, worked for Goldman Sachs, married an Indian heiress, then was parachuted into a safe seat in 2015.

Not much Yorkshire in that!
  • Options

eristdoof said:

MaxPB said:

No not total liberty of course. But I do believe that the balance is too much towards the state not the individual (or local groups even ) these days
    I'm not particularly a fan but Black Lives Matter isn't 'the state'.
  • Options

@state_go_away

People aren't that interested in politics: they like to switch off and have light hearted fun. When they're doing that they especially don't like being preached at.

The problem we have right now is that BLM messages are permeating into all forms of sport, music and talent shows - which people like to watch and enjoy as a form of leisure, fun and relaxation; an escape from the real world.

The advocates of the BLM messages see that sort of resistance and objection as closet racism and therefore it provides evidence to them that people need even *more* of it.

That's really stupid.

If you see a reference to BLM and immediately start frothing at the mouth it says something about you, and it isn't something positive.

I don't even support the nutters that permeate BLM.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

MaxPB said:

It all comes down to "politics is only acceptable in sport if I agree with it". The left are guilty of this. The right are guilty of this.
    Actually i dont like poppies on football shirts and believe i posted at the time on this when it was relevant. I thought the FA was arrogant to demand the right to do this in internationals. BTW you seem to be falling into your own warning of assuming the right and left are monolithic blocks - I am neither right or left in the sense of the traditional use of the terms
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Actually i dont like poppies on football shirts and believe i posted at the time on this when it was relevant. I thought the FA was arrogant to demand the right to do this in internationals.
    If a raging BLM zealot started a campaign to remove poppies from football shirts I highly doubt you'd be queuing up to support them.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

As to Sunak as leader - is there any *detailed* polling on his popularity? Regional, male/female etc?
    Only part of that wall - if Sunak was leader all Yorkshire seats and teesside seats would regard him as one of their own for he represents a Yorkshire seat and is frequently seen around Teesside (Red wall seats next to his constituency).
    Really?

He was born in Southampton, Educated at Winchester College, PPE at Oxford, worked for Goldman Sachs, married an Indian heiress, then was parachuted into a safe seat in 2015.

The phenomenon of how some politicians get "adopted" into the areas they chose to run from office from, and some don't, is worthy of thread header.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    E

alex_ said:

O/T - so i'm reading that EDF (owned 84% by French taxpayers) are arguing for the British taxpayer to underwrite cost of new nuclear plant in Somerset. Wouldn't this be helped along a bit if restrictions on state aid were relaxed a bit in UK-EU trade negotiations... #innocent face

(yes i know there's probably some argument about use of state aid for national infrastructure...)

Germany spends a lot on infrastructure. It would be nice to know quite what are the EU rules to which Brexiteers object, especially the Thatcherite half to whom state aid is itself anathema.
    When you travel to Europe you see how much more modern much of the infrastructure is, railways being the outstanding example. Travel to the US and you see the reverse, with even the wealthy bumping along the crumbling interstates
  • Options
    If a sportsperson kisses their same sex partner on the podium, is that "ramming politics down people's throats"? Because 10 years ago, that would certainly be considered politics, and it still would be now to some.

That's why that argument is ridiculous. "Politics" just means "stuff I disagree with".
  • Options

Non-Tories love to keep asking this question, in the belief the Tory party is secretly a little bit racist. It just goes to show how little they understand them.

Tories don't give a shit what colour your skin is - they care if you're good or not.

Well that's fantastic news then, I very much hope he gets a fair hearing.

The Tory Party is undoubtedly racist though, no amount of shutdown due to "identity politics" is going to stop that. Labour of course is/was racist too.
    Eh? Where do you get that from?

Seriously?
    If you don't think the Tories have an Islamophobia problem you're not arguing in good faith to be honest.
  • Options

Foxy said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

Really?

The phenomenon of how some politicians get "adopted" into the areas they chose to run from office from, and some don't, is worthy of thread header.
    Sunak's more Yorkshire than Yorkshire tea
  • Options
    edited September 2020

@state_go_away

That's really stupid.

Yes very much agree. I can argue politics and enjoy doing so in the right setting (ie on here) . People should not be so arrogant that they assume that they can bring politics to all media and leisure platforms - sport , facebook, culture . Thought we learnt this after the Olympic boycotts of the 70s and 80s
  • Options

@state_go_away

That's really stupid.

Yes very much agree. I can argue politics and enjoy doing so in the right setting (ie on here) . People shoudl not be so arrogant that they assume that they can bring politics to all media and leisure platforms - sport , facebook, culture .
    Well you're both wrong.

Consider my previous point: is a sportsperson kissing their same-sex partner on the podium "preaching"? Because 10 years ago, and still to some today, that would be considered "politics".

"Politics" means "stuff I disagree with".
  • Options

If a sportsperson kisses their same sex partner on the podium, is that "ramming politics down people's throats"? Because 10 years ago, that would certainly be considered politics, and it still would be now to some.

That's why that argument is ridiculous. "Politics" just means "stuff I disagree with".

I think its you getting a bit obsessed now as kissing partners (if allowed at all on podiums) is not politics is it? Its a more normal human emotion of love and triumph (in this setting - cue Alex Higgins in 1982 etc) .
  • Options
    Just a question, a few years ago having a gay couple on a soap would have been considered "identity politics" and bringing politics into leisure, did you oppose it then and hence do you still oppose it now?

In which case, what would you like these programmes to look like?
  • Options
    edited September 2020

I think its you getting a bit obsessed now as kissing partners (if allowed at all on podiums) is not politics is it? Its a more normal human emotion of love and triumph (in this setting - cue Alex Higgins in 1982 etc) .
    No - you're missing the point. You are not a homophobe and thus kissing partners is not something you disagree with.

However to others, and to much more of the population even as recent as 10 years ago, that would be "politics". In Russia and Poland that is considered "politics".

"Politics" is just "stuff I disagree with".
  • Options

Just a question, a few years ago having a gay couple on a soap would have been considered "identity politics" and bringing politics into leisure, did you oppose it then and hence do you still oppose it now?

That's exactly what it is. Decrying things as "identity politics" is just acknowledging your own prejudices.
  • Options
    It’s a bit odd, Tories should be in favour of respect of privacy and liberty. Private companies can do what they like, what business do the Tories have to tell them what to do.

I can only understand the objections at the BBC. ITV, etc makes no sense to me.
  • Options

@state_go_away

That's really stupid.

Sport and music are poles apart in this respect. Sport tries as much as possible to keep out of politics, while not doing it any favours by being very slow to keep up with the times (women in football, minority explayers not getting to higher ranked positions as much/quickly as they should.

The barriers for minority groups of all kind are much lower in music, than in sport down the years, and many musicians are overtly political in their music. Many more are very clear in their poltical opinons. This is not new and goes at least back to the 50's.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Actually i dont like poppies on football shirts and believe i posted at the time on this when it was relevant. I thought the FA was arrogant to demand the right to do this in internationals.
    If a raging BLM zealot started a campaign to remove poppies from football shirts I highly doubt you'd be queuing up to support them.
    Honestly , take a look at your posts today - you are first complaining about the left being viewed under one block. Then assume things about my views that my answers have made no indication that I hold those views (perhaps just because you lump me on the "right". I honestly find you a bit immature . I am on record as opposing poppies on shirts (at the time when it was in the news ) so that is my position .
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Is that how they managed to elect Peter Griffiths at Smethwick or why so many Tory MPs agreed with Enoch Powell?There have been many Apartheid sympathisers and pro-Ian Smith MPs on the Tory benchers too - and Terry Dicks wanted to see Nelson Mandela hanged. No racism at all there though.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

@state_go_away

That's really stupid.

Yes very much agree. I can argue politics and enjoy doing so in the right setting (ie on here) . People should not be so arrogant that they assume that they can bring politics to all media and leisure platforms - sport , facebook, culture . Thought we learnt this after the Olympic boycotts of the 70s and 80s
    How deliciously ironic that a poster calling themselves “state_go_away” advocates against freedom of expression.

This is the problem with libertarians: almost none of them are actually interested in reducing or eliminating power over people. What they actually want is to shift it from being exercised by the collective so they can try and grab more of it for themselves. Of course the problem is that they’re just useful idiots and it’s never going to be them that benefits from such a shift.
  • Options
    Getting a bit tense on here again.

Lib Dem landslide in 2024!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Honestly , take a look at your posts today - you are first complaining about the left being viewed under one block. Then assume things about my views that my answers have made no indication that I hold those views (perhaps just because you lump me on the "right". I honestly find you a bit immature . I am on record as opposing poppies on shirts (at the time when it was in the news ) so that is my position .
    You may think I'm immature, but I think your disingenuous. You are unwilling to engage on any issue you don't have an answer to, and you don't like your views being challenged.

I make a point that I bet you wouldn't support a campaign to remove poppies from football shirts that was started by a "leftie BLM zealot" and your response is a personal attack. Does that mean I was right?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    eristdoof said:

@state_go_away

That's really stupid.

Sport and music are poles apart in this respect. Sport tries as much as possible to keep out of politics, while not doing it any favours by being very slow to keep up with the times (women in football, minority explayers not getting to higher ranked positions as much/quickly as they should.

The barriers for minority groups of all kind are much lower in music, than in sport down the years, and many musicians are overtly political in their music. Many more are very clear in their poltical opinons. This is not new and goes at least back to the 50's.
    Football has openly opposed racism and homophobia (in a lesser extent) for a long time. Once upon a time that would be considered "politics".

Once again, "politics" is simply "stuff I disagree with".
  • Options

That's exactly what it is. Decrying things as "identity politics" is just acknowledging your own prejudices.
    The funny thing is that those who disparage "identity politics" love wrapping themselves in the flag, singing Rule Britannia and saluting Spitfires.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043

The Tory Party is undoubtedly racist though, no amount of shutdown due to "identity politics" is going to stop that. Labour of course is/was racist too.

Seriously?
    Keep up!

To paraphrase one of the great Conservative writers of our time, Muslim Women look like bank robbers and letter boxes and of course "Picanninies" have water melon smiles. If that is not at the very least a racially stereotypical dog whistle, I don't know what is. Oh, I forgot, that is mere satire when it flows from the pen or tongue of Boris Johnson.

There is a rump of the Conservative Party including MPs who haven't moved on from Peter Griffiths. The hatred of figures like Khan and Abbott is palpable.
  • Options

@state_go_away

That's really stupid.

What about the South African sport boycotts of the 70s and 80s. Do you disagree with those?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    eristdoof said:

@state_go_away

That's really stupid.

What about the South African sport boycotts of the 70s and 80s. Do you disagree with those?
    Can't believe sport tried to shove their opposition to apartheid down our throats! Absolutely disgraceful.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

So, since both Warsi and Javid think there IS a problem, and Bozo committed to an independent review, where is it?
    If there's nothing to hide?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

I saw my first stupid bastard wearing a poppy today. This year's poppy cringefest is going to be something special as its going to have to distract, what Marx would have described as, 'the decaying elements of all classes' from both Covid-19 AND possible Australian-style Brexit.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

E

alex_ said:

O/T - so i'm reading that EDF (owned 84% by French taxpayers) are arguing for the British taxpayer to underwrite cost of new nuclear plant in Somerset. Wouldn't this be helped along a bit if restrictions on state aid were relaxed a bit in UK-EU trade negotiations... #innocent face

(yes i know there's probably some argument about use of state aid for national infrastructure...)

Germany spends a lot on infrastructure. It would be nice to know quite what are the EU rules to which Brexiteers object, especially the Thatcherite half to whom state aid is itself anathema.
    When you travel to Europe you see how much more modern much of the infrastructure is, railways being the outstanding example. Travel to the US and you see the reverse, with even the wealthy bumping along the crumbling interstates

Route 1010 from San Fracisco to San Jose cuts through the richest place on earth. It is a potholed, clogged up disaster zone. No wonder they are so focused on driverless cars in Silicon Valley!

• Options
    The Tories have been in power since 2010, maybe they're just piss poor at governing and making change as opposed to the entire country being run by a secret left wing cartel?

I wonder if we replaced left wing with Jewish, how quickly the Tories would come in here screaming
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Receipe - Short ribs, 1/2 kilo

Ingredients

Short ribs, carrots, onions, beef stock & British WII movies.

1) Brown the short ribs in a frying pan.
    2) Chuck them in a oven usable pot
    3) Brown some onions in the same frying pan - sluice around with a bit of red wine.
    4) Chuck the onions in the oven pot.
    5) Do the same fro some chunks of carrot.
    6) Fill the pot to submerge everything, with
    -- a) Pint of beef stock
    -- b) The rest of the red wine
    -- c) a bit of water, if required.
    7) Oven to 130c fan
    8) Watch 2 B&W British WII Movies. At least 2.
    9) You may want to reduce the sauce on the stove and at the very end, drop in one square of cooking chocolate. Makes super thick, smooth gravy.

Eat with mashed potatoes, corn on the cob.
  • Options
    Switzerland firmly rejects end of free movement with EU - projection

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54316316
  • Options

No doubt they'll be going it alone any day now, Brexiteers insist we're not the first!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Seriously?
    Keep up!

To paraphrase one of the great Conservative writers of our time, Muslim Women look like bank robbers and letter boxes and of course "Picanninies" have water melon smiles. If that is not at the very least a racially stereotypical dog whistle, I don't know what is. Oh, I forgot, that is mere satire when it flows from the pen or tongue of Boris Johnson.

There is a rump of the Conservative Party including MPs who haven't moved on from Peter Griffiths. The hatred of figures like Khan and Abbott is palpable.
    And Patel, Sunak, Javid, Kwarteng, Ahmad, Sharma, Zahawi... they can't stand 'em!
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

I saw my first stupid bastard wearing a poppy today. This year's poppy cringefest is going to be something special as its going to have to distract, what Marx would have described as, 'the decaying elements of all classes' from both Covid-19 AND possible Australian-style Brexit.
    I know people who wear poppies all year around. It isn't that unusual an ornament any more.

I expect that you wouldn't fancy a pint in this Leicester pub?

https://twitter.com/robpalkwriter/status/1214899237521174528?s=19

@Giantpoppywatch on twitter is well worth a browse.
  • Options
    Government science adviser says coronavirus lockdowns will only 'defer the problem' rather than solve it, as he warns it is 'entirely possible' there will be a third wave of infections next year

Lockdown with a Vengeance....
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    A prerequisite for identify politics is lumping a group of people together based on their identity, so you can pin a label or characteristic onto them, rather than seeing them as individuals.

In my experience it is something all Tory and Labour supporters love doing.
    ( ;) )

Meanwhile, central Milan is buzzing, even Sunday lunchtime. Deserted main city centres must be a UK/US thing
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

A prerequisite for identify politics is lumping a group of people together based on their identity, so you can pin a label or characteristic onto them, rather than seeing them as individuals.

In my experience it is something all Tory and Labour supporters love doing.
    ( ;) )

Not all Tories are racist, I think the Tory Party itself is.

Not all Labourites are racist, I think the Labour Party itself is.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Seriously?
    Keep up!

And Patel, Sunak, Javid, Kwarteng, Ahmad, Sharma, Zahawi... they can't stand 'em!
    "We're not racist. Some of our best MPs are Asian!"
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

As a kid, we all used to buy a poppy for the Haig Fund to presumably support old servicemen. You would see three or four of the old boys paying their respects at the local cenotaph at 11.00 on the Sunday closest to 11/11 before heading down the pub for a swift half. I appreciated that

In the last twenty years the poppy has been hijacked by civilians of my age, who were fortunate enough to miss conscription.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

IshmaelZ said:

Seriously?
    Keep up!

It's that smattering of gentiles on the Labout front bench that gets me. The worst sort of tokenism.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,859

The Tories have been in power since 2010, maybe they're just piss poor at governing and making change as opposed to the entire country being run by a secret left wing cartel?

I wonder if we replaced left wing with Jewish, how quickly the Tories would come in here screaming

As noted elsewhere, if the BBC was really as woke as some people claim, it would not have been led by a series of pale, stale men...
  • Options

No doubt they'll be going it alone any day now, Brexiteers insist we're not the first!
    The biggest mistake the Brexiters made was thinking that they would bring the EU crashing down. Which their vision of a future UK, insofar as there ever was one, depended upon. Instead they have achieved the reverse, and whatever the deal or no deal, we are destined to a vassal future on the fringes akin to Mexico v the US
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Seriously?
    Keep up!

If you don't think there are any racists in the Conservative Party that would be more than upset if Sunak or Javid became leader, I have a Garden Bridge to sell you.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

I agree with much of your post, but you've fallen into the trap of thinking the UK is not in Europe.
  • Options

You used to get a lot of people complaining that the gays were trying to "ram it down their throat", which I always found an amusing choice of metaphor.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Surprised a combo Our Fallen/Our NHS symbol has yet to appear. I also sense that Our Elderly are coming up fast on the inside rail this autumn.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    Not the best race, but...

My 5.6 on Bottas to win came in :)
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

As a kid, we all used to buy a poppy for the Haig Fund to presumably support old servicemen. You would see three or four of the old boys paying their respects at the local cenotaph at 11.00 on the Sunday closest to 11/11 before heading down the pub for a swift half. I appreciated that

In the last twenty years the poppy has been hijacked by civilians of my age, who were fortunate enough to miss conscription.
    I think it was Simon Jenkins who wrote a great opinion piece as to why 100 years after the eleventh day was the right time to draw a line under military remembrance. I think he had right.

After all, the dead of the Napoleonic period go unremembered despite having died to save us from kilogrammes and driving on the right
  • Options

You used to get a lot of people complaining that the gays were trying to "ram it down their throat", which I always found an amusing choice of metaphor.
    My attitude to these issues is one I believe is very classically liberal.

I don't give a toss what people do. You want to be gay, fine. You want to be trans, fine.

You want to have gay people, or trans people on TV, fine.

I am not gay nor trans but you won't tell me how to live and I won't do the same to you. And that's how it's always been for me.
  • Options
    In my actual life, I woke in a pretty "woke" workplace and I've never experienced anyone shoving anything down my throat (sorry for the image) or any other such issue. People get on with life, I don't give a toss who you are or where you come from.

My motto is very simple, there are twats in all walks of life.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Seriously?
    Keep up!

If you don't think there are any racists in the Conservative Party that would be more than upset if Sunak or Javid became leader, I have a Garden Bridge to sell you.
    Prolly more of a problem in the Red Wall than the core vote (or rather the core vote until Johnson took over). And have you noticed what sex and colour every single Labour leader ever has been?

Do you know who said this:

“For this second time in their history, Messrs. Merry and Cunninghame have introduced a number of Russian Poles [Lithuanians actually] to Glengarnock Ironworks. What object they have in doing so is beyond human ken unless it is, as stated by a speaker at Irvine, to teach men how to live on garlic and oil, or introduce the Black Death, so as to get rid of the surplus labourers."?
  • Options
    I think there's a legitimate debate to be had about transitioning and the age and so on that can happen but I think the concept of trans people in society and in media is something we can no longer reasonably debate against, just as we can't reasonably debate against having gay people on TV or in media
  • Options
    Dirty dirty leeds win again.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

As noted elsewhere, if the BBC was really as woke as some people claim, it would not have been led by a series of pale, stale men...
    Yes, it was the LibDems who chose an unsuitable woman, just because they felt they had to; a mistake even Labour avoided
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

IshmaelZ said:

Seriously?
    Keep up!

Didn't the Guardian informalities us that British Hindus (among others) are not actually members of a minority?
  • Options
    To his enemies, he is a stubborn politician who never changes his mind or apologises for his previous statements. But behind the scenes, the coronavirus has forced Boris Johnson to rethink one of his most cherished beliefs.

Who the hell thinks this lol? He flip flops constantly, this whole Brexit issue arguably started because he flip flopped
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Scott_xP said:

If that were true, BoZo would never have been leader
    Boris won a majority of 80, he got the leadership because he said he would win. He won.
  • Options
    I accept the Labour Party is/was racist and I saw it too late - I have apologised multiple times for the hurt we/I have caused by being ignorant to the issue and I have tried my best to understand and move forward since.

I know people attack my flip flop from Corbyn to Starmer but I genuinely have tried my best to learn and move on. I maintain that my personal views haven't changed on anything, I just accept my views don't win votes
  • Options
    But the Tory Party should be willing to do the same with their own racism.
  • Options
    I can't wait until we have QAnon believers on here.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Boris won a majority of 80, he got the leadership because he said he would win. He won.
    Did he win, or did Corbyn lose? Time will tell
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

I would like to counter your argument with a pithy put-down, however you are right so I can't.

Johnson is nonetheless a dangerous workshy idler who does not deserve the great office he holds.
  • Options
    In the intervening days, government policy appeared to veer. Draconian measures were discussed, including an immediate “circuit-breaker” national lockdown and a ban on family-to-family contacts. Some aides suggested pubs and restaurants should be closed.

Rishi Sunak, the chancellor, moved to fight the closures, in a meeting with Johnson and No 10 aides on the Friday evening. Both No 10 and No 11 dismissed “totally untrue” rumours circulating in Westminster that the chancellor threatened to resign if there was a “fortnight firewall” lockdown. What no one disputes is that his opposition helped killed the idea — for now.

Sensible measures were discussed and then ignored. God help us
  • Options
    Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist, also spoke, explaining the light-touch approach of his government. But he pointed out that the rules were tightening in his home country.

Swedish advocates quickly scrambling for another country to copy
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

Where we go one, we go Sean.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sean will be a Communist tomorrow for some balance
  • Options
    More than 50 MPs have joined a “common sense” group demanding less draconian Covid rules, opposing plans for tax rises and demanding further action to curb migration.

So how are we going to pay for this then? These people are nuts
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,859

More than 50 MPs have joined a “common sense” group demanding less draconian Covid rules, opposing plans for tax rises and demanding further action to curb migration.

And so much for the "80 majority"...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Gosh. Been to meditate and it's kicked off.
    My original points were.
    1. There is a subset of people who will refuse to vote for an Asian PM purely based on their ethnicity. Surely undeniable, if unfathomable to my mind.
    2. This attitude is more prevalent in areas of very low non-white population. Speculative, but would seem to fit with known facts from attitudes surveys.
    3. Many of the classic Red Wall seats fit this profile.
    4. Many of these seats have small majorities. Therefore, if the number of people covered by point 1 who voted Tory last time (and they will have voted for all parties and none) exceeds that majority then the Tories will lose that seat all other things being equal.

No more nor less than that.
  • Options

Dirty dirty leeds win again.

Old, stale 1970s news. Leeds are now paragons of virtue under Bielsa's total football reign. Only two yellow cards so far this season.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Oh look, our first denialist.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

And so much for the "80 majority"...
    I would be disappointed if Labour joined in with the "Brady bunch" just to humiliate the Government.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    edited September 2020

As long as BJ and Dom keep pushing the culture war buttons these types will be happy to channel their energies masks & statchoos. Woe betide us when the gruesome twosome get the boot and the Tory party decides that the centre should hold...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Seriously?
    Keep up!

Prolly more of a problem in the Red Wall than the core vote (or rather the core vote until Johnson took over). And have you noticed what sex and colour every single Labour leader ever has been?

“For this second time in their history, Messrs. Merry and Cunninghame have introduced a number of Russian Poles [Lithuanians actually] to Glengarnock Ironworks. What object they have in doing so is beyond human ken unless it is, as stated by a speaker at Irvine, to teach men how to live on garlic and oil, or introduce the Black Death, so as to get rid of the surplus labourers."?
    Keir.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

I assume they are also no dealers, scrap the license fee, shoot the immigrants out of the water type of unthinkers.
  • Options
    I wonder where we would be if Corbyn was still the leader, or RLB had won
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Dura_Ace said:

I'm a luckyguy I didn't bet I knew who you meant a couple of days ago.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Seriously?
    Keep up!

Keir.
    Yup.
This discussion has been closed.