Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak now edges ahead of Johnson as preferred PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Presumably Labour backing the rebels would be a "pro-democracy" move, Johnson might find it hard to attack as he'd also be attacking his own MPs
  • Options

Dirty dirty leeds win again.

Old, stale 1970s news. Leeds are now paragons of virtue under Bielsa's total football reign. Only two yellow cards so far this season.
    I was being ironic. Bielsa Ball is great to watch, love it. And I am not even a Leeds fan.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Breaking rules big style

The Local Police of Granada has evicted a party to celebrate a baptism and a communion in which 270 people gathered without a mask or safety distance, an event organized in a place without a license that had attractions for children and a stage for musicians without respect health measures against coronavirus. As reported to Efe by the Councilor for Security of Granada, César Díaz, the police intervention took place in a farmhouse known as "Carrijo", located in the surroundings of La Vega
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891
    edited September 2020
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Tories don't give a shit what colour your skin is - they care if you're good or not.

If that were true, BoZo would never have been leader
    Boris won a majority of 80, he got the leadership because he said he would win. He won.
    Because a white Old Etonian Oxford graduate said he would win, the Conservative Party put their faith in him.

Do you think as many Conservative Party Members would put their faith in a black candidate who left a Lewisham comprehensive with 2 O'levels and a few CSE's promising "I will win"?

• Options
    Forward thinking and planning

The Minister of Health of Catalonia, Alba Verges, has warned that this Christmas only family gatherings of six people will be allowed in the region, both in private and public spaces after analyzing the projections of the pandemic for the month of December. In addition, she adds that there will be no parades of kings in the streets in the traditional way.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605

Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist, also spoke, explaining the light-touch approach of his government. But he pointed out that the rules were tightening in his home country.

Swedish advocates quickly scrambling for another country to copy

Brazil perhaps?

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1309964249175863297?s=19
  • Options

Gove will be looking for signs of cocaine use in Sunak's background.

Also is the Tory Party ready to elect a non-white leader?

Non-Tories love to keep asking this question, in the belief the Tory party is secretly a little bit racist. It just goes to show how little they understand them.

Tories don't give a shit what colour your skin is - they care if you're good or not.

I know this is hard for the identity politics obsessed Left to get their heads around but it's the truth.
    Ah, but would you let him marry your daughter?

Before anyone shouts at me, one daughter-in-law in Thai!
    Yes.
    With that money I doubt there would be many problems
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,073
    edited September 2020
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

If a raging BLM zealot started a campaign to remove poppies from football shirts I highly doubt you'd be queuing up to support them.

I saw my first stupid bastard wearing a poppy today. This year's poppy cringefest is going to be something special as its going to have to distract, what Marx would have described as, 'the decaying elements of all classes' from both Covid-19 AND possible Australian-style Brexit.
    I know people who wear poppies all year around. It isn't that unusual an ornament any more.

I expect that you wouldn't fancy a pint in this Leicester pub?

https://twitter.com/robpalkwriter/status/1214899237521174528?s=19

@Giantpoppywatch on twitter is well worth a browse.
    One of the local bars in my bit had a rolling projection of poppies floating over its exterior for several days last year. Must admit that my curiosity is piqued on how they're going to surpass that this year.

Edit: is that the Teletubbies in the second pic?
  • Options
    I see Prof Gupta was again on the shows this morning. I know we should get a range of views, but she has spouted absolute providable rubbish for months e.g. claim of IFR being ~0.1%, when given the deaths in NYC at the time, it was impossible.

It damages a perfectly legitimate debate about what measures are sensible and most effective.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Non-Tories love to keep asking this question, in the belief the Tory party is secretly a little bit racist. It just goes to show how little they understand them.

I know this is hard for the identity politics obsessed Left to get their heads around but it's the truth.
    Well that's fantastic news then, I very much hope he gets a fair hearing.

The Tory Party is undoubtedly racist though, no amount of shutdown due to "identity politics" is going to stop that. Labour of course is/was racist too.
    Eh? Where do you get that from?

Seriously?
    Keep up!

To paraphrase one of the great Conservative writers of our time, Muslim Women look like bank robbers and letter boxes and of course "Picanninies" have water melon smiles. If that is not at the very least a racially stereotypical dog whistle, I don't know what is. Oh, I forgot, that is mere satire when it flows from the pen or tongue of Boris Johnson.

There is a rump of the Conservative Party including MPs who haven't moved on from Peter Griffiths. The hatred of figures like Khan and Abbott is palpable.
    And Patel, Sunak, Javid, Kwarteng, Ahmad, Sharma, Zahawi... they can't stand 'em!
    If you don't think there are any racists in the Conservative Party that would be more than upset if Sunak or Javid became leader, I have a Garden Bridge to sell you.
    Prolly more of a problem in the Red Wall than the core vote (or rather the core vote until Johnson took over). And have you noticed what sex and colour every single Labour leader ever has been?

Do you know who said this:

“For this second time in their history, Messrs. Merry and Cunninghame have introduced a number of Russian Poles [Lithuanians actually] to Glengarnock Ironworks. What object they have in doing so is beyond human ken unless it is, as stated by a speaker at Irvine, to teach men how to live on garlic and oil, or introduce the Black Death, so as to get rid of the surplus labourers."?
    I have to come clean I don't. Don't think I am all for defending left of centre racism from today or yesteryear. I am not.

The anti-Semitism of Corbyn's Labour is unacceptable. The argument that the Conservatives can't be anti-Islamic because they have BAME MPs is a poor argument and proves nothing. Labour had Jewish MPs under Corbyn (and yes many did leave during his reign of terror) but the fact that they belonged to his Labour party didn't prove Corbyn wasn't an anti-Semite.
  • Options

Dirty dirty leeds win again.

Is that rhyming slang?
    Dirty=Dirty Deeds = Leeds
  • Options
    nichomar said:

The Minister of Health of Catalonia, Alba Verges, has warned that this Christmas only family gatherings of six people will be allowed in the region, both in private and public spaces after analyzing the projections of the pandemic for the month of December. In addition, she adds that there will be no parades of kings in the streets in the traditional way.

This is the sort of thing Boris should have announced this week. No ski holidays, no popping to Dubai for some winter sun, no having 10s of people round for Christmas or New Year in groups of 6.
  • Options
    If Sayeeda Warsi thinks the Tories are Islamophobic, I believe her.

Before you answer, if Luciana Berger says Labour is anti-Semitic (and I think she does) and I said she's wrong, I can predict what the response would be.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

If a raging BLM zealot started a campaign to remove poppies from football shirts I highly doubt you'd be queuing up to support them.

I saw my first stupid bastard wearing a poppy today. This year's poppy cringefest is going to be something special as its going to have to distract, what Marx would have described as, 'the decaying elements of all classes' from both Covid-19 AND possible Australian-style Brexit.
    I know people who wear poppies all year around. It isn't that unusual an ornament any more.

One of the local bars in my bit had a rolling projection of poppies floating over its exterior for several days last year. Must admit that my curiosity is piqued on how they're going to surpass that this year.

Who knows. Spencer attracts an interesting cluentele:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/funeral-wake-erupted-bloody-brawl-3263313?utm_source=sharebar&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sharebar
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    edited September 2020
    dixiedean said:

Gosh. Been to meditate and it's kicked off.
    My original points were.
    1. There is a subset of people who will refuse to vote for an Asian PM purely based on their ethnicity. Surely undeniable, if unfathomable to my mind.
    2. This attitude is more prevalent in areas of very low non-white population. Speculative, but would seem to fit with known facts from attitudes surveys.
    3. Many of the classic Red Wall seats fit this profile.
    4. Many of these seats have small majorities. Therefore, if the number of people covered by point 1 who voted Tory last time (and they will have voted for all parties and none) exceeds that majority then the Tories will lose that seat all other things being equal.

No more nor less than that.

Except that the only evidence we have (polling) suggests that the popularity of the Chancellor does not match that supposed regional profile.

See my post below....
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I have to come clean I don't. Don't think I am all for defending left of centre racism from today or yesteryear. I am not.

The anti-Semitism of Corbyn's Labour is unacceptable. The argument that the Conservatives can't be anti-Islamic because they have BAME MPs is a poor argument and proves nothing. Labour had Jewish MPs under Corbyn (and yes many did leave during his reign of terror) but the fact that they belonged to his Labour party didn't prove Corbyn wasn't an anti-Semite.

Keir Hardie. Not sure what it proves, but I came across it last night and thought it was interesting.

Of course there are fcking horrible people everywhere, and a lot of them in the Conservative party. But everybody knows that one token x is a token so you have to have a second token x to counter that perception, and ... But if you add enough to the series it eventually proves something. We have just one white gentile in the four great offices of state at the moment, and he is not the most popular one with the party.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Newcastle playing well. :)
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Well that's fantastic news then, I very much hope he gets a fair hearing.

The Tory Party is undoubtedly racist though, no amount of shutdown due to "identity politics" is going to stop that. Labour of course is/was racist too.
    Eh? Where do you get that from?

Seriously?
    Keep up!

To paraphrase one of the great Conservative writers of our time, Muslim Women look like bank robbers and letter boxes and of course "Picanninies" have water melon smiles. If that is not at the very least a racially stereotypical dog whistle, I don't know what is. Oh, I forgot, that is mere satire when it flows from the pen or tongue of Boris Johnson.

There is a rump of the Conservative Party including MPs who haven't moved on from Peter Griffiths. The hatred of figures like Khan and Abbott is palpable.
    And Patel, Sunak, Javid, Kwarteng, Ahmad, Sharma, Zahawi... they can't stand 'em!
    If you don't think there are any racists in the Conservative Party that would be more than upset if Sunak or Javid became leader, I have a Garden Bridge to sell you.
    Prolly more of a problem in the Red Wall than the core vote (or rather the core vote until Johnson took over). And have you noticed what sex and colour every single Labour leader ever has been?

Do you know who said this:

“For this second time in their history, Messrs. Merry and Cunninghame have introduced a number of Russian Poles [Lithuanians actually] to Glengarnock Ironworks. What object they have in doing so is beyond human ken unless it is, as stated by a speaker at Irvine, to teach men how to live on garlic and oil, or introduce the Black Death, so as to get rid of the surplus labourers."?

"The argument that the Conservatives can't be anti-Islamic because they have BAME MPs is a poor argument and proves nothing."

It is also a classic for denial of racism in an organisation. It is used as a reason for refusing to investigate how the problem can be solved.
  • Options
    No sign of maskage...again this weird belief that outside you can't catch it.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I see Prof Gupta was again on the shows this morning. I know we should get a range of views, but she has spouted absolute providable rubbish for months e.g. claim of IFR being ~0.1%, when given the deaths in NYC at the time, it was impossible.

It damages a perfectly legitimate debate about what measures are sensible and most effective.

Does anyone call her out on her utterly failed predictions?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Alistair said:

Dura_Ace said:

I can't wait until we have QAnon believers on here.

Where we go one, we go Sean.
    I'm a luckyguy I didn't bet I knew who you meant a couple of days ago.
    No, you were right... It's exactly the sort of claptrap the Assadist crank would be into.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Keir Hardie. Not sure what it proves, but I came across it last night and thought it was interesting.

Of course there are fcking horrible people everywhere, and a lot of them in the Conservative party. But everybody knows that one token x is a token so you have to have a second token x to counter that perception, and ... But if you add enough to the series it eventually proves something. We have just one white gentile in the four great offices of state at the moment, and he is not the most popular one with the party.
    I couldn't care less about the creed, colour, religion, gender or sexual orientation of any of our political masters. I don't rate Johnson, Raab or Patel, because they come across to me as incompetents.

I once recruited a guy from Cardiff who was of Carribean heritage. He was a grafter and very good at his job. I was told by a colleague that I wouldn't last long because my Regional Director was racially prejudiced. I didn't! Ironically enough the Regional followed me out of the door a year or two later. The guy I had employed lasted another twenty plus years and worked his way up through the ranks.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985

Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist, also spoke, explaining the light-touch approach of his government. But he pointed out that the rules were tightening in his home country.

The Swedes think the Danes and the Germans did a better job of controlling CV19. Their government has setup an enquiry into Sweden's response. And Sweden is starting to introduce tougher lockdown measures in Stockholm.

In very few countries (perhaps South Korea) do citizens think their own government has done a universally good job of dealing with the pandemic.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964
    edited September 2020

dixiedean said:

Gosh. Been to meditate and it's kicked off.
    My original points were.
    1. There is a subset of people who will refuse to vote for an Asian PM purely based on their ethnicity. Surely undeniable, if unfathomable to my mind.
    2. This attitude is more prevalent in areas of very low non-white population. Speculative, but would seem to fit with known facts from attitudes surveys.
    3. Many of the classic Red Wall seats fit this profile.
    4. Many of these seats have small majorities. Therefore, if the number of people covered by point 1 who voted Tory last time (and they will have voted for all parties and none) exceeds that majority then the Tories will lose that seat all other things being equal.

No more nor less than that.

Except that the only evidence we have (polling) suggests that the popularity of the Chancellor does not match that supposed regional profile.

See my post below....
    Nothing at all in my post suggested it was regional.
    Your polls talk about the "North". My post didn't.
    The same point could be made about many Home Counties seats. But the majorities are much bigger there than the number of bigots concerned.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The Swedes think the Danes and the Germans did a better job of controlling CV19. Their government has setup an enquiry into Sweden's response. And Sweden is starting to introduce tougher lockdown measures in Stockholm.

In very few countries (perhaps South Korea) do citizens think their own government has done a universally good job of dealing with the pandemic.
    I do believe the UK is ranked lowest in the world by approval.
  • Options
    Surely, our willingness to break solemn agreements is the killer. Negotiations cannot continue with partners who defy the rule of law.
  • Options

I'm sure we have QAnon believers on here. They just keep it quiet.

QAnon and BLM are a response to the natural human instinct to believe "the truth is in the middle".

It therefore makes sense to take the most extreme position possible because that moves the middle a little bit towards your side. It's why the DUP and the IRA destroyed the UUP and the SDLP - because both communities wanted to move the middle, and the best way to do that was to take the most extreme view possible.

Sadly, this means the death of nuance. Taking an extreme position makes it very hard to see anything of value in your political opponent's views. It makes empathy and compromise hard. It means stoking the up the very edges of society and making violence more likely.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

QAnon and BLM are a response to the natural human instinct to believe "the truth is in the middle".

It therefore makes sense to take the most extreme position possible because that moves the middle a little bit towards your side. It's why the DUP and the IRA destroyed the UUP and the SDLP - because both communities wanted to move the middle, and the best way to do that was to take the most extreme view possible.

Sadly, this means the death of nuance. Taking an extreme position makes it very hard to see anything of value in your political opponent's views. It makes empathy and compromise hard. It means stoking the up the very edges of society and making violence more likely.

I must have missed this but what is QAnon?
  • Options

I think Manaus in Amazonian is the place closest to Herd immunity.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/09/22/1008709/brazil-manaus-covid-coronavirus-herd-immunity-pandemic/

66% prevalence of antibodies and an IFR of 0.38%, though with a very young population, only 6% aged over 60.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

As a kid, we all used to buy a poppy for the Haig Fund to presumably support old servicemen. You would see three or four of the old boys paying their respects at the local cenotaph at 11.00 on the Sunday closest to 11/11 before heading down the pub for a swift half. I appreciated that

In the last twenty years the poppy has been hijacked by civilians of my age, who were fortunate enough to miss conscription.
    I think it was Simon Jenkins who wrote a great opinion piece as to why 100 years after the eleventh day was the right time to draw a line under military remembrance. I think he had right.

After all, the dead of the Napoleonic period go unremembered despite having died to save us from kilogrammes and driving on the right
    I think we are a very long way off from getting rid of "military remeberance", and the Napeoleonic Wars are still on the "Remembrance List" in France, Germany etc. although of course any direct contact with those wars is long since gone.
    The problem is not with remembering that military and civilians died, because politicians started wars.

The problem is with the poppys. It is now almost impossible to be a public figure without wearing a poppy at the certain time of year. If someone doesn't wear a poppy, they are forced to defend their motives. This then extends to ordinary life with shop workers and office workerrs being cajoled into wearing one. The original idea of the poppy was to promote a charity and nobody should be forced (or have to pretend) to donate to a charity. Charity donations are a deeply personal choice.
    That is a good summary and the distaste for me is the forced wearing (if only by peer pressure) that it brings. Same with taking the knee for BLM etc . Its distasteful mainly because it is false and shallow
  • Options

If Sayeeda Warsi thinks the Tories are Islamophobic, I believe her.

Before you answer, if Luciana Berger says Labour is anti-Semitic (and I think she does) and I said she's wrong, I can predict what the response would be.

It's a weight of evidence thing, innit? I can't remember who Warsi was except that tim had rather a crush on her, but she is a relatively lone voice compared to the Labour AS thing.
    rcs1000 said:

Does the QAnon mindset also do discreet silence? (he double-bluffed.)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I think Manaus in Amazonian is the place closest to Herd immunity.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/09/22/1008709/brazil-manaus-covid-coronavirus-herd-immunity-pandemic/

66% prevalence of antibodies and an IFR of 0.38%, though with a very young population, only 6% aged over 60.
    They paid a very high price for it though
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

trust me you really dont want to know.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm sorry, I usually agree with what you write. But you really can't link BLM and QAnon in that way. Yes at its fringes, BLM is an extremist movement; but most BLM 'supporters' are decent, law-abiding folk from all walks of life who just want to see more social justice.
    By contrast, QAnon is a completely off-the-wall, very dangerous conspiracy movement that is the nearest thing we have in modern societies to 1930s-style fascism. The article linked to earlier on QAnon by somebody is a good summary of their nutty yet dangerous agenda:
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18751513.big-read-inside-qanon-cult-contagion-spreads-scotland/
  • Options
    Well tbh if you are going to make stupid laws like the 10pm pub shutting one what do you expect? The government needs some common sense
  • Options

Well tbh if you are going to make stupid laws like the 10pm pub shutting one what do you expect? The government needs some common sense
    Hodges seems to be saying this one's on Gove.

Leadership dreams just blown up?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    If you release your tax forms we'll do the drugs tests.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

I presume they're modern squaddies with helmet-mounted cameras. Certainly not Prussian pickelhaubes with corks on the spikes.
  • Options
    QAnon is busy folding in full blood libel to their belief set.

It's all there.
  • Options
    Introducing these restrictions when an area has 33/100,000 is bizarre you need 3000 people to find one known case. enforce the existing restrictions properly before adding more which result in unexpected or intended consequences.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited September 2020

I thought the whole point of knocking on the head the 11pm pub shutting law a few years ago was to stop everyone being chucked out at the same time? All this has achieved is promoting binge drinking and another nail in the hostpitality industry (with no effect on covid-19 ,arguably making it worse). Probably a major reason why tories lost their lead in last opinion poll as well
  • Options

I thought the whole point of knocking on the head the 11pm pub shutting law a few years ago was to stop everyone being chucked out at the same time? All this has achieved is promoting binge drinking and another nail in the hostpitality industry (with no effect on covid-19 ,arguably making it worse). Probably a major reason why tories lost their lead in last opinion poll as well
    Yep. iirc the police were in favour of Blair's reforms to night time economy.

We are seeing policy by panic.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Any recognition of how real world human behaviour responds to the ever moving targets the government keeps erecting seems to have passed them by. Whatever Cummo is an expert in, it isn't behavioural science
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/RichardAScott/status/1310122011662995456

The Tories have one chance to retain these voters, they are not off to a good start
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,936
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2020

twitter.com/RichardAScott/status/1310122011662995456

The Tories have one chance to retain these voters, they are not off to a good start

The closure, announced in June 2019. So he went into the GE with this already known.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706

The closure, announced in June 2019. So he went into the GE with this already known.
    The then potential, not actual, closure.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2019/06/06/ford-confirms-start-of-consultation-on-potential-closure-of-brid.html

Presumably the closure has now been made definite?
  • Options

Early onset gammonism, poor chap.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2020
    Carnyx said:

The then potential, not actual, closure.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2019/06/06/ford-confirms-start-of-consultation-on-potential-closure-of-brid.html

Presumably the closure has now been made definite?
    No...

Ford set to close Bridgend engine plant in 2020

Workers were sent home after receiving a letter which said they will lose their jobs in phases by 25 September next year.

6 June 2019
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-48533790

A couple of days ago it was the last of these people being let go and the final closure, but they have been shutting it down for 15 months. Going into the GE, it was clear what was happening.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    edited September 2020
    OfCom regulates telecomms and broadcasting.

WTF does Dacre know about either?

Pure cronyism.

With the punting of a former telecoms exec as the next CEO of the health service the Tories are just laughing in our faces now.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I can't tell you because George Soros won't let me.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Any recognition of how real world human behaviour responds to the ever moving targets the government keeps erecting seems to have passed them by. Whatever Cummo is an expert in, it isn't behavioural science
    Not sure we can pin this one of Cummings. Maybe a journalist will enlighten us. But I suspect he is busy working on his pet projects not covid.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

His only real skill is in dishonest electioneering, with a side interest in rambling blog posts and hiring racists.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

It shut Friday.

We are hoping Britishvolt might move in.

Jamie Wallis ironically won on the platform of getting Brexit done, but Bridgend was never Red Wall. As the Ogwr constituency it had a Conservative MP in the Thatcher years.
  • Options

Pure cronyism.

With the punting of a former telecoms exec as the next CEO of the health service the Tories are just laughing in our faces now.

And Royal Mail
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

That is very rude, and all the "lefties" who have "liked" your post should be ashamed of themselves!

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Anyone for pizza? And a little shot of adrenochrome?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

He looks exactly like a "generic Tory MP". Clearly born for the job.
  • Options
    glw said:

The mere fact his name is being suggested to run Ofcom makes me think that those proposing him don't even really understand what Ofcom does, which is entirely probable if Boris is any way involved.

It's not a serious appointment.

It's a story that bumped something else off the front pages for a day
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    That's quite a weak ad compared to most of their others. You can get away with cutting an pasting speec midsentence for comedy, but no-one takes it seriously for a political point, except for those who would never vote Trump anyway.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,979

nichomar said:

This is the sort of thing Boris should have announced this week. No ski holidays, no popping to Dubai for some winter sun, no having 10s of people round for Christmas or New Year in groups of 6.
    Or popping over to Italy for motor-boat trips?
  • Options
    Of course one of Dacre's key tasks, as assigned by Cummings, will be getting rid of the impartiality rules for broadcast as these will clearly get in the way of new GB News TV channel.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

That is very rude, and all the "lefties" who have "liked" your post should be ashamed of themselves!

Sorry. Just trying to raise awareness.
  • Options
    Are there any real conservatives left? As in ones who believe in slow, steady, thoughtful change and preserving institutions handed down rather than taking a wrecking ball to everything in sight?

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

glw said:

The mere fact his name is being suggested to run Ofcom makes me think that those proposing him don't even really understand what Ofcom does, which is entirely probable if Boris is any way involved.

It's not a serious appointment.

It's a story that bumped something else off the front pages for a day
    Track and no trace? Student prisons?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Anyone for pizza? And a little shot of adrenochrome?
    Pineapple on the pizza?
  • Options
    glw said:

Pure cronyism.

Of all the stupid things Boris has done I think this might take the biscuit. The bulk of Ofcom's job is regulating the telecomms market, the broadcasting stuff that gets the hard-right in a froth is a relatively small part of the job. Now Dacre might suit them for dealing with the latter, but I doubt that he has even the tiniest clue about telecomms. The mere fact his name is being suggested to run Ofcom makes me think that those proposing him don't even really understand what Ofcom does, which is entirely probable if Boris is any way involved.
    I doubt Dacre even knows we have the new fangled broadband internet in some parts of the realm.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

That's quite a weak ad compared to most of their others. You can get away with cutting an pasting speec midsentence for comedy, but no-one takes it seriously for a political point, except for those who would never vote Trump anyway.

I suspect it has an intended audience of 1, and probably hit the mark
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It is the latest cover for nutjobs, loons and weirdos....

"QAnon[a] (/ˌkjuːəˈnɒn/) is a far-right conspiracy theory[b] alleging that a cabal of Satan-worshiping pedophiles running a global child sex-trafficking ring is plotting against President Donald Trump, who is battling them, leading to a "day of reckoning" involving the mass arrest of journalists and politicians. No part of the theory is based on fact."

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAnon
  • Options
    It is hilarious seeing the GOP trying to spin a "Dems are anti-catholic" narrative out of nothing given the religious views of some GOPers.

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1310203051635077122?s=19
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I'm sorry, I usually agree with what you write. But you really can't link BLM and QAnon in that way. Yes at its fringes, BLM is an extremist movement; but most BLM 'supporters' are decent, law-abiding folk from all walks of life who just want to see more social justice.
    By contrast, QAnon is a completely off-the-wall, very dangerous conspiracy movement that is the nearest thing we have in modern societies to 1930s-style fascism. The article linked to earlier on QAnon by somebody is a good summary of their nutty yet dangerous agenda:
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18751513.big-read-inside-qanon-cult-contagion-spreads-scotland/
    You are confusing BLM supporters, with the BLM platform. I strongly believe that US policing is both overly reliant on military tactics, that there is far too little done about officers with multiple upheld complaints against them, and that racism is endemic in many police forces.

But I do not believe in Marxist-Leninism, I don't believe there is any such thing as "cultural appropriation", and I think Critical Race Theory is a bunch of bollocks.
  • Options

Are there any real conservatives left? As in ones who believe in slow, steady, thoughtful change and preserving institutions handed down rather than taking a wrecking ball to everything in sight?

Not in the party.

Worldometer covid deaths currently 999,667.
  • Options
    Another handball penalty...

• Options
    Lovely controversial VAR handball :):):)

The salty commentators is the icing on the cake.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Fuck football.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It is the latest cover for nutjobs, loons and weirdos....

"QAnon[a] (/ˌkjuːəˈnɒn/) is a far-right conspiracy theory[b] alleging that a cabal of Satan-worshiping pedophiles running a global child sex-trafficking ring is plotting against President Donald Trump, who is battling them, leading to a "day of reckoning" involving the mass arrest of journalists and politicians. No part of the theory is based on fact."

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAnon
    The Trump bit is a bolt-on. QAnon recognisably grew out of Clintonphobia and was going years before Trump. Trump has boosted it from a tiny group of loons. To a massive group of loons.
  • Options
    Former GOP governor of Pennsylvania Tom Ridge endorses Joe Biden

axios
  • Options
    Kane sent off after the match. :D
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    MaxPB said:

Fuck football.

Nailed on penalty.
  • Options
    Super Brucey's Mags
  • Options

Lovely controversial VAR handball :):):)

The salty commentators is the icing on the cake.

Straight Red for the mouth breather?
  • Options

Kane sent off after the match. :D

Oh it wasn't Kane after all.
  • Options

Of course one of Dacre's key tasks, as assigned by Cummings, will be getting rid of the impartiality rules for broadcast as these will clearly get in the way of new GB News TV channel.

It's not within Ofcom's gift though. It is part of the Communications Act 2003 - which will require amendment - para 319 and 320 dictate the Ofcom rules, and give a legal requirement to due impartiality.
  • Options
    Newcastle United have 4 points so far, from 3 shots on target.
  • Options
    Wingers/ wing backs should now be spending their allotted training aiming the ball at any defender’s hands/ arms if they are facing away in the penalty area. Soon there should be 5 or 6 penalties in each game.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Interesting line up for City vs City

Amartey playing in a back 3? Or in DM role manmarking KdB?

The Manchester looked tired last week, but Mahrez always scores against Leicester.

Away teams seem to do well without crowds, so the 9.8 on Leicester win looks good.
  • Options
    Ofcom is highly involved in the future FTTP network that will be rolled out by Openreach.

Putting Dacre in charge suggests the Tories don't have a clue what they're doing - this will surely damage the chance of an FTTP rollout in timely fashion. A terrible appointment if true.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

A substantial minority of Americans believe the "drops" of Q, who claims to be an intelligence officer in the US. He has spread stories that include:

- the idea that Hillary Clinton is running a paedophile network from a pizza parlor in DC (Pizzagate)

- the Idea that a video exists of Hillary Clinton (it's always her, isn't it?) Killing a baby, removing its face, and then wearing it. (Frazzledrip)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

A substantial minority of Americans believe the "drops" of Q, who claims to be an intelligence officer in the US. He has spread stories that include:

- the idea that Hillary Clinton is running a paedophile network from a pizza parlor in DC (Pizzagate)

- the Idea that a video exists of Hillary Clinton (it's always her, isn't it?) Killing a baby, removing its face, and then wearing it. (Frazzledrip)
    Assuming those allegations are true (which obviously they aren't), what exactly do QAnon supporters even want? A no deal Brexit perhaps?
  • Options
    Those case numbers continue to be terrible
  • Options

Those case numbers continue to be terrible

Not rising, though
This discussion has been closed.