Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak now edges ahead of Johnson as preferred PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I can't wait until we have QAnon believers on here.

I'm sure we have QAnon believers on here. They just keep it quiet.

QAnon and BLM are a response to the natural human instinct to believe "the truth is in the middle".

It therefore makes sense to take the most extreme position possible because that moves the middle a little bit towards your side. It's why the DUP and the IRA destroyed the UUP and the SDLP - because both communities wanted to move the middle, and the best way to do that was to take the most extreme view possible.

Sadly, this means the death of nuance. Taking an extreme position makes it very hard to see anything of value in your political opponent's views. It makes empathy and compromise hard. It means stoking the up the very edges of society and making violence more likely.

I must have missed this but what is QAnon?
    A substantial minority of Americans believe the "drops" of Q, who claims to be an intelligence officer in the US. He has spread stories that include:

- the idea that Hillary Clinton is running a paedophile network from a pizza parlor in DC (Pizzagate)

- the Idea that a video exists of Hillary Clinton (it's always her, isn't it?) Killing a baby, removing its face, and then wearing it. (Frazzledrip)
    The key plank is that Trump is engaged in a battle with a network of Dem aligned pedophiles and any day now is going to expose the whole stinking lot of them.

The initial version is that Clinton and others were under secret arrest and had trackers attached to them.

This Secret arrest has morphed into new, different versions.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

QAnon and BLM are a response to the natural human instinct to believe "the truth is in the middle".

It therefore makes sense to take the most extreme position possible because that moves the middle a little bit towards your side. It's why the DUP and the IRA destroyed the UUP and the SDLP - because both communities wanted to move the middle, and the best way to do that was to take the most extreme view possible.

Sadly, this means the death of nuance. Taking an extreme position makes it very hard to see anything of value in your political opponent's views. It makes empathy and compromise hard. It means stoking the up the very edges of society and making violence more likely.

I'm sorry, I usually agree with what you write. But you really can't link BLM and QAnon in that way. Yes at its fringes, BLM is an extremist movement; but most BLM 'supporters' are decent, law-abiding folk from all walks of life who just want to see more social justice.
    By contrast, QAnon is a completely off-the-wall, very dangerous conspiracy movement that is the nearest thing we have in modern societies to 1930s-style fascism. The article linked to earlier on QAnon by somebody is a good summary of their nutty yet dangerous agenda:
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18751513.big-read-inside-qanon-cult-contagion-spreads-scotland/
    You are confusing BLM supporters, with the BLM platform. I strongly believe that US policing is both overly reliant on military tactics, that there is far too little done about officers with multiple upheld complaints against them, and that racism is endemic in many police forces.

But I do not believe in Marxist-Leninism, I don't believe there is any such thing as "cultural appropriation", and I think Critical Race Theory is a bunch of bollocks.
    I'm not sure if we're disagreeing or not, and I'm not confusing anything, with respect. The BLM platform is neither here nor there, really, especially in the UK. Most BLM supporters have never heard of critical race theory, or Marxist-Leninism, I'd wager. Ask Raheem Sterling. But my point was that the BLM movement (not its critical race theory proponents) should not be compared with the lunacy and paranoia of QAnon. Your acceptance that racism is endemic in many (USA) police forces suggests there's a problem. But what's the solution? Ask the police to behave better?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Those case numbers continue to be terrible

It remains a live question how they translate into hospitalisations and deaths. Last time round, a. we had no such pure age-segregated petri dishes as the universities, and b. lethality seems overall to have been higher than it is now. Watch this space.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited September 2020

They actually correlate quite well to that 111/999 gateway chart.
  • Options

No sign of maskage...again this weird belief that outside you can't catch it.
    Why is that belief weird? It might be wrong but is not weird. Isn't it what the government has been telling people? Isn't it baked into the guidelines about wearing masks on buses and in shops rather than all the time?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    I don't think I disagree with this actually. I don't recall ever been given material from an organisation that wanted to overthrow capitalism during my schooling...

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/sep/27/uk-schools-told-not-to-use-anti-capitalist-material-in-teaching
  • Options

No sign of maskage...again this weird belief that outside you can't catch it.
    Why is that belief weird? It might be wrong but is not weird. Isn't it what the government has been telling people? Isn't it baked into the guidelines about wearing masks on buses and in shops rather than all the time?
    You're still supposed to socially distance though. Hence why councils have been vandalising modifying our high streets and city centres to expand the width of pavements into the road, which nobody ever uses...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

My Bottas bet is looking good!
    As is my safety car bet!

Good call on Bottas. It's starting to look like Hillary Clinton's election team has infiltrated Mercedes to misdirect Lewis Hamilton on the rules.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    UK cases

• Options
    UK cases scaled by 100K population

• Options
    edited September 2020
    UK case summary

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    Foxy said:

Interesting line up for City vs City

Amartey playing in a back 3? Or in DM role manmarking KdB?

The Manchester looked tired last week, but Mahrez always scores against Leicester.

Away teams seem to do well without crowds, so the 9.8 on Leicester win looks good.

Well that forecast didn't take long...
  • Options
    UK Deaths

• Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

A substantial minority of Americans believe the "drops" of Q, who claims to be an intelligence officer in the US. He has spread stories that include:

- the idea that Hillary Clinton is running a paedophile network from a pizza parlor in DC (Pizzagate)

- the Idea that a video exists of Hillary Clinton (it's always her, isn't it?) Killing a baby, removing its face, and then wearing it. (Frazzledrip)
    Assuming those allegations are true (which obviously they aren't), what exactly do QAnon supporters even want? A no deal Brexit perhaps?
    Mandatory pineapple on pizza, I believe.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Assuming those allegations are true (which obviously they aren't), what exactly do QAnon supporters even want? A no deal Brexit perhaps?
    Good god! 😱
  • Options
    I asked this earlier - calling Foxy - not sure how to interpret this... ethnicity in COVID cases....

The switch over from "Other" seems strange - all categorisations come from the COVID surveillance report. Which is also the source of the data.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Good god! 😱
    And mandatory, 24/7, playing of Radiohead on every radio channel.

Also Python as the only allowed programming language.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Good god! 😱

I like Python so at least there's some common ground there.
  • Options
    The situation in the Caucasus could escalate into outright war between Turkey and Russia.

https://twitter.com/babaktaghvaee1/status/1310233977819725834?s=21
  • Options
    Scrap "national disgrace" GCSEs. From TES:
    GCSEs are a "national disgrace", according to a coalition of education experts calling for the exams to be scrapped.

The key figures in the education sector made the comments to Tes after signing an open letter criticising the UK's "mutant exam system".

Geoff Barton, general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL), was among the signatories, who have formed a coalition aiming to fix the "exams merry-go-round" by piloting alternative approaches in schools.

https://www.tes.com/news/scrap-national-disgrace-gcses-experts-urge

Alongside bolshy union leaders, fellow signatories include Ken Baker and the headmaster of Eton. Of course, they are only following PBers who made the same suggestion during A-level-gate.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Good god! 😱

I like Python so at least there's some common ground there.
    Python is a scripting language. People who write large applications in it deserve to associate with QAnon.

Mind you, RCS will smile when I say that the best use of Python I have come across was as a spreadsheet script language.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,150

The situation in the Caucasus could escalate into outright war between Turkey and Russia.

Someone should remind the Russians how well it went the time they lent some Buks to Ukrainian nationalists just as a Malaysian Airlines Airbus was flying overhead.
  • Options
    https://digital.nhs.uk/dashboards/nhs-pathways

This is quite a good data source, seems to show we had a definite peak last week and now a drop off.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,790
    edited September 2020
    A couple of new polls out in key swing states by NBC/Marist .

Biden leads by 10 points 54 to 44 in Wisconsin and by 8 points 52 to 44 in Michigan.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

A couple of new polls out in key swing states NBC/Marist .

Biden leads by 10 points 54 to 44 in Wisconsin and by 8 points 52 to 44 in Michigan

And not only is the SC nomination is firing up the Dems more than the GOP but that majority in each state say it should be up to the winner to nominate.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm sorry, I usually agree with what you write. But you really can't link BLM and QAnon in that way. Yes at its fringes, BLM is an extremist movement; but most BLM 'supporters' are decent, law-abiding folk from all walks of life who just want to see more social justice.
    By contrast, QAnon is a completely off-the-wall, very dangerous conspiracy movement that is the nearest thing we have in modern societies to 1930s-style fascism. The article linked to earlier on QAnon by somebody is a good summary of their nutty yet dangerous agenda:
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18751513.big-read-inside-qanon-cult-contagion-spreads-scotland/
    You are confusing BLM supporters, with the BLM platform. I strongly believe that US policing is both overly reliant on military tactics, that there is far too little done about officers with multiple upheld complaints against them, and that racism is endemic in many police forces.

But I do not believe in Marxist-Leninism, I don't believe there is any such thing as "cultural appropriation", and I think Critical Race Theory is a bunch of bollocks.
    Amen - and it is very brave of you to be so honest given where you live.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

https://digital.nhs.uk/dashboards/nhs-pathways

This is quite a good data source, seems to show we had a definite peak last week and now a drop off.

I *think* what that shows is that the we had a massive surge in people *thinking* that the seasonal back-to-school-flu was COVID. Not an un-natural reaction, I might add.

As to an actual drop in COVID... well, I am waiting to see.....
  • Options

Not rising, though
    Indeed and much better than France and Spain atm.
  • Options
    C# representing
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Some good polling for Biden today.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Alistair said:

nico679 said:

Biden leads by 10 points 54 to 44 in Wisconsin and by 8 points 52 to 44 in Michigan

And not only is the SC nomination is firing up the Dems more than the GOP but that majority in each state say it should be up to the winner to nominate.
    I'm not displeased with Mitch's actions on the SC, must say.
  • Options

Someone should remind the Russians how well it went the time they lent some Buks to Ukrainian nationalists just as a Malaysian Airlines Airbus was flying overhead.
    Giving anti-aircraft missiles to just about everyone is an old, old Russian hobby. It stems from the USSR military policy of giving every cook a shoulder launched SAM - create a blanket of missile launches against assumed Western air superiority.

People complained about the Stingers-to-Afghanistan thing. But the CIA actually did a pretty good job of policing up the unused ones.

It is worth noting that every single airliner downed by a sub-national group with a missile has done it with a Russian missile - or clone thereof.
  • Options
    felix said:

Not rising, though
    Indeed and much better than France and Spain atm.
    ATM, we must not get complacent.
  • Options
    Is this the work of the rule of 6?
  • Options
    I was amazed to read the other day that some Universities insisted on students paying their accommodation fees before telling them that most of their course was to be online. Surely if thatvis remotely true it would make sense for students who can to return home after quarantine and for the Unis to remit those costs and a portion of the teaching fees.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,790
    edited September 2020
    Alistair said:

nico679 said:

Looks like an own goal by the GOP especially as over 60% support Roe v Wade and a clear majority support the ACA. The Dems should highlight the ACA as that’s what really hurt the GOP in the mid-terms .

Another poll by CBS has the odious Lindsey Graham up by just one point in the South Carolina Senate race , a lesser known pollster has him down two points to Harrison . I would love to see him lose his seat , he really is a loathsome individual.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    More government hi jinx with algorithms.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/27/tory-councillors-in-revolt-over-plans-to-accelerate-housebuilding#img-1

Surprisingly enough it seems that there is more demand for homes in the leafy Home Counties than in the brownfield North.
    Whoever could have guessed?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    Almost half of British companies have warned that their Brexit preparations have been hit by the pandemic, as business leaders demanded a last-minute compromise to reach a trade deal and avert chaos at the border.

As a crucial week of talks begins, more than three-quarters of businesses (77%) said they wanted a deal to be agreed, according to a survey by the Confederation of British Industry. Only 4% of businesses said they preferred a no-deal outcome. Support for a deal rises to 86% among distribution companies and 83% of manufacturers.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    felix said:

I was amazed to read the other day that some Universities insisted on students paying their accommodation fees before telling them that most of their course was to be online. Surely if thatvis remotely true it would make sense for students who can to return home after quarantine and for the Unis to remit those costs and a portion of the teaching fees.

If this is true then the students may well have a legal case for misrepresentation. I am aware that a number of people are looking at the possibility of legal action.
  • Options
    felix said:

What about those in private accommodation?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Almost half of British companies have warned that their Brexit preparations have been hit by the pandemic, as business leaders demanded a last-minute compromise to reach a trade deal and avert chaos at the border.

As a crucial week of talks begins, more than three-quarters of businesses (77%) said they wanted a deal to be agreed, according to a survey by the Confederation of British Industry. Only 4% of businesses said they preferred a no-deal outcome. Support for a deal rises to 86% among distribution companies and 83% of manufacturers.

Tories used to be the party of business.

What a joke that is now.
  • Options

felix said:

They may have a case against the University authorities? To me it sounds like fraud although I am not a lawyer!
  • Options
    @williamglenn so what's the play here? Turkey invades Armenia? Russia does what?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Has anyone seen Dura Ace this afternoon?
  • Options

Can we not do any of this until the 5th November please?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

felix said:

If this is true then the students may well have a legal case for misrepresentation. I am aware that a number of people are looking at the possibility of legal action.
    Perhaps someone should have a look at how "private" some of the hall of residence for students really are. Quite a few of the "non-university" ones have substantial University ownership, I understand.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Sunak, the smiling assassin, and whilst I think about it, someone says the Lib Dems are still functioning, is that true, is there any real evidence?,
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    edited September 2020

felix said:

If they entered into private rental agreements in reliance on representations made by university authorities and if those representations were untrue at the time they made them, then they may well have a case for damages against the university. A lot of “ifs” and it will depend on the evidence.

At the moment I am more concerned at the way the universities are trying to stop students leaving their halls at all. There is no legal basis for what they are doing and it is only going to take one tragedy (and please God this does not happen) for the universities doing this to be in big trouble.
  • Options
    theakes said:

Sunak, the smiling assassin, and whilst I think about it, someone says the Lib Dems are still functioning, is that true, is there any real evidence?,

Worryingly gone AWOL! However they are needed in the campaign to eject the Tories at GE2024.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

felix said:

If they entered into private rental agreements in reliance on representations made by university authorities and if those representations were untrue at the time they made them, then they may well have a case for damages against the university. A lot of “ifs” and it will depend on the evidence.

At the moment I am more concerned at the way the universities are trying to stop students leaving their halls at all. There is no legal basis for what they are doing and it is only going to take one tragedy (and please God this does not happen) for the universities doing this to be in big trouble.
    Thank you. Very interesting. Surely such action would essentially bankrupt the university sector? The Government would have to step in.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

felix said:

felix said:

It certainly does look like University business plans are built around having the students on site. My guess is that many universities have "strategic" investments in places where the students are spending their money. From accommodation to bars. Create a company town......

It was interesting to see, over the years, how Southampton University has gone from a university in a town to a giant mega campus with a small, fading, town attached....
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    Has anyone seen Dura Ace this afternoon?
    Actually donuts are a far too pedestrian activity for Mr Ace.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    I think this guy is starting with the wrong assumption that gigantic pharma companies will be happy to trash their reputations to help Trump claim victory in the vaccine race.
  • Options

C# representing

... itching to press the "flag" button!

--AS
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

felix said:

It certainly does look like University business plans are built around having the students on site. My guess is that many universities have "strategic" investments in places where the students are spending their money. From accommodation to bars. Create a company town......

It was interesting to see, over the years, how Southampton University has gone from a university in a town to a giant mega campus with a small, fading, town attached....
    It's not just 1st year students in student blocks though. Many 2nd and 3rd year students would not have committed to spending thousands of pounds to rent shared houses in student areas of cities if they knew their course was going to be all online.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited September 2020

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

felix said:

It all goes back to student loans. For years and years politicians have concentrated repeatedly on the issue of tuition fees. The effect of the student loan system on accommodation has been almost completely ignored. It has turned what was previously a fairly marginal profit, low cost, basic, poor quality accommodation sector into one which has seen massive infiltration by big property players, largely in cahoots with universities themselves.

All aware that (without actually improving the basic nature of most student accommodation much in most cases - even if there was much demand for this) they could charge (and largely make a condition of university entrance) extortionate rents to students, aware that the student loan system (based on repayment on the never never) would pick up the tab. To students it made little difference as future repayments were linked to future earnings and only rose with those earnings not with size of debt. The size of debt only being relevant to how long the repayments were required, or ultimately how much would be written off.
  • Options

@williamglenn so what's the play here? Turkey invades Armenia? Russia does what?

There’s a good thread on it here.

https://twitter.com/sfrantzman/status/1310219246559989761?s=21
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    glw said:

OfCom regulates telecomms and broadcasting.

WTF does Dacre know about either?

Pure cronyism.

With the punting of a former telecoms exec as the next CEO of the health service the Tories are just laughing in our faces now.

Of all the stupid things Boris has done I think this might take the biscuit. The bulk of Ofcom's job is regulating the telecomms market, the broadcasting stuff that gets the hard-right in a froth is a relatively small part of the job. Now Dacre might suit them for dealing with the latter, but I doubt that he has even the tiniest clue about telecomms. The mere fact his name is being suggested to run Ofcom makes me think that those proposing him don't even really understand what Ofcom does, which is entirely probable if Boris is any way involved.
    Boris hasn’t ‘done’ anything, the job isn’t even open yet. It’s a simple old-fashioned kite-flying exercise for a media reaction, and guess what they’re all talking about today?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Some of them believe that Trump is fighting a brave, and secret, war against the peados and their democratic enablers. So keeping Trump in there is vital.
  • Options
    Hat trick Vardy

City 1 - Leicester 3
  • Options

felix said:

They may have a case against the University authorities? To me it sounds like fraud although I am not a lawyer!
    alex_ said:

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

felix said:

It all goes back to student loans. For years and years politicians have concentrated repeatedly on the issue of tuition fees. The effect of the student loan system on accommodation has been almost completely ignored. It has turned what was previously a fairly marginal profit, low cost, basic, poor quality accommodation sector into one which has seen massive infiltration by big property players, largely in cahoots with universities themselves.

All aware that (without actually improving the basic nature of most student accommodation much in most cases - even if there was much demand for this) they could charge (and largely make a condition of university entrance) extortionate rents to students, aware that the student loan system (based on repayment on the never never) would pick up the tab. To students it made little difference as future repayments were linked to future earnings and only rose with those earnings not with size of debt. The size of debt only being relevant to how long the repayments were required, or ultimately how much would be written off.
    While teaching mostly sub-standard degrees over a much longer period of time than is necessary. For me the current university system seems like a ginat misselling scandal in the making.
  • Options

I asked this earlier - calling Foxy - not sure how to interpret this... ethnicity in COVID cases....

The switch over from "Other" seems strange - all categorisations come from the COVID surveillance report. Which is also the source of the data.

? Chinese

As the ratios are per capita, a small Chinese population could make for a big early spike.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

? Chinese

As the ratios are per capita, a small Chinese population could make for a big early spike.
    But we were hearing that is was the BAME community that was being hit disproportionally . I am wondering if lots of BAME people were ticking "other" on forms early on or something.

From the chart it looks like most croups are quite clustered - except "other" got hammered, and now British Pakistanis are being hit hardest instead?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

felix said:

Quite. Add in the use of student halls of residence to get domestic planning permission through..... I mentioned this happening in London, previously. Hall of residence being built with the explicit plan of gentrify the area with students, convert and sell.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    felix said:

felix said:

alex_ said:

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

felix said:

While teaching mostly sub-standard degrees over a much longer period of time than is necessary. For me the current university system seems like a ginat misselling scandal in the making.
    A lot of that dates back to the dubious use of statistics put forward for university earning potential "premiums" promoted originally by Blair governments back in the late 90s. Which arguably was a classic case of claiming cause and effect, for things which were more to do with unrelated correlation.

The fact that many of the most high paid professions required university qualifications - but not that university per se was a career boost or provided specific skills to succeed in the jobs market. That it is not surprising that the most academically inclined individuals had greater earnings potential in later life (ie. the key was the individuals at university, not actually a bonus linked to university participation). And that as university participation grew, employers would increasingly use university degrees as a threshold differentiator for white collar jobs, where previously they might have settled for A-Levels.

In other words, the university participation "premium" became a self-fulfilling reality, which had nothing to do with the actual skills that university equipped people with.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Alistair said:

nico679 said:

Looks like an own goal by the GOP especially as over 60% support Roe v Wade and a clear majority support the ACA. The Dems should highlight the ACA as that’s what really hurt the GOP in the mid-terms .

Another poll by CBS has the odious Lindsey Graham up by just one point in the South Carolina Senate race , a lesser known pollster has him down two points to Harrison . I would love to see him lose his seat , he really is a loathsome individual.
    The Biden campaign has talked about nothing but the ACA in relation to the Supreme Court Nomination.

They have been given a gift given the ACB has written that she thinks the ACA is unconstitutional and should be overturned - with the court case to do so scheduled to begin a week after the election.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    felix said:

felix said:

alex_ said:

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

felix said:

There’s a massive opening for someone to set up an online university charging £3k a year in fees for a full time course, with a course meeting in person once a month somewhere central.
  • Options

Foxy said:

? Chinese

But we were hearing that is was the BAME community that was being hit disproportionally . I am wondering if lots of BAME people were ticking "other" on forms early on or something.

From the chart it looks like most croups are quite clustered - except "other" got hammered, and now British Pakistanis are being hit hardest instead?
    Other must include Filipinos and other East Asians, who are found mostly in London, while the Lancashire towns have larger Pakistani populations. I think those graphs are reflecting the geography of the current outbreak.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    @foxy - I hope you had the Mahrez first goalscorer/Leicester to win double.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

? Chinese

Other must include Filipinos and other East Asians, who are found mostly in London, while the Lancashire towns have larger Pakistani populations. I think those graphs are reflecting the geography of the current outbreak.
    Doesn't really explain the high rate at the moment in the North East which doesn't have very many people who aren't White British.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

? Chinese

So you think that "Filipinos and other East Asians" were hit horribly, horribly hard in the early stages of this?

Is so, we have some staggeringly bad reporting on this. 4x as many cases (proportionally) in the "other" grouping at peak!
  • Options
    Leicester 4
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    tlg86 said:

@foxy - I hope you had the Mahrez first goalscorer/Leicester to win double.

🙂

Its not over yet, but an unusually good prediction it appears to be so far.

Maddison now too...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

nico679 said:

I'm not displeased with Mitch's actions on the SC, must say.
    If I hadn't been burnt by assuming the attempt to unseat John Bercow from the speakership prior to the 2015 election was a sign the Cons thought it was going to be incredibly tight I would definitely be confidently stating that the GOP think they are in for a total an utter kicking based on their SC manoeuvres.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

UK Deaths

Beware the weekend effect
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

? Chinese

So you think that "Filipinos and other East Asians" were hit horribly, horribly hard in the early stages of this?

Is so, we have some staggeringly bad reporting on this. 4x as many cases (proportionally) in the "other" grouping at peak!
    There were quite a few Filipinos in the Nursing and HCA sector deaths in the first wave. It is not a very big community, so could be heavily overrepresented.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576

Hat trick Vardy

City 1 - Leicester 3

Time to place a bet on Leicester winning the premiership?
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckxH99QiFl0

For the future leadership campaign
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Hat trick Vardy

City 1 - Leicester 3

Liverpool look very likely to retain it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Hat trick Vardy

City 1 - Leicester 3

Every year.😅

Once it came in at 3000/1, but only 500/1 this year .
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    edited September 2020
    Another Leicester penalty scored

City 2 - Leicester 5

Amazing
  • Options

Another Leicester penalty

All legit though. What are the Manchester defence playing at?

• Options
    Foxy said:

Another Leicester penalty

All legit though. What are the Manchester defence playing at?

Clowns
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

Hat trick Vardy

City 1 - Leicester 3

The City of I hope you mean :wink:
  • Options
    Rishi sounds like a more natural and relaxed Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    The last time Man City conceded five at home in the league:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLv2jShDQnw
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

? Chinese

There were quite a few Filipinos in the Nursing and HCA sector deaths in the first wave. It is not a very big community, so could be heavily overrepresented.
    Sadly, then, it seems the standard handling of race in this country has allowed this to be ignored.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Some of them believe that Trump is fighting a brave, and secret, war against the peados and their democratic enablers. So keeping Trump in there is vital.
    Yes. Their man has proved to be every bit more venal, corrupt, dishonest and incompetent than even his most ardent detractors feared.
    So cognitive dissonance requires he must be waging some below the radar war against unspeakable evil.
    Otherwise they would have to accept they've been conned.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

felix said:

felix said:

alex_ said:

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

felix said:

There’s a massive opening for someone to set up an online university charging £3k a year in fees for a full time course, with a course meeting in person once a month somewhere central.
    A friend who got into a Phd program at Oxford, commented that he was the proud possessor of the most expensive library card in the world. Plus a bi-weekly hour or 2 with a world authority in his subject.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

Hat trick Vardy

City 1 - Leicester 3

The City of I hope you mean :wink:
    Hope you enjoyed being top of the League.

😅
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Evening all :)

On topic, what is to be made of Rishi Sunak? To this non-Conservative, there's more than a hint of John Major about him. He will be the perfect antidote to what has gone before just as Major was the perfect antidote to Thatcher.

Sunak seems an excellent manager and administrator - possibly as much in the detail as Gordon Brown in his way. Does that make him a Prime Minister? It won't stop him but rather like Major, Sunak will have the task of re-inventing a party which has been in power for a long period against an Opposition party growing in confidence and re-establishing its credentials as an alternative Government.

Major won in 1992 for many reasons but let's not forget his "victory" was bought at the cost of most of the pre-existing majority. He lost 40 seats, which Sunak can ill afford to repeat. Yet Starmer is no Kinnock and with the LDs always lurking to ambush a few seats, the possibility of another Hung Parliament after the next GE cannot be discounted.

You wouldn't choose a Sunak or a Major if you wanted a charismatic leader to take you back from Opposition to Government - they are men of and for Government, the proverbial "safe pair of hands" and ideal for good times against moderate opposition.

Catch them in a thoughtful moment and even the Conservatives on here will concede Blair in his pomp was a formidable political operator and he crushed Major - Starmer is no Kinnock but he is no Blair either.

History is rarely symmetrical but all Governments have a shelf life. After 13 years in office, the Conservatives in 1964 and Labour in 2010 ran out of road. Whether Covid will come to resemble the socio-cultural changes of the early 60s or the impact of the financial crash in 2008 in political terms is far from certain but it seems improbable there will be no lasting impact.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

UK Deaths

Beware the weekend effect
    Starts hammering nails into a baseball bat....

"eh?"
This discussion has been closed.