Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A Personal View of Sunak’s plans from a Lake District Pub – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2020 in General
A Personal View of Sunak’s plans from a Lake District Pub – politicalbetting.com

A country pub pic.twitter.com/Sf7HlmXheX

Read the full story here

Comments

• First.
  • Cardiff and Swansea will be placed under local lockdown measures from 18:00 BST on Sunday, the Welsh Government has announced.
  • @TSE did you make any headway on the slow loading of Vanilla?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    I've just been to my local national chain of convenience stores with post office attachment and noticed none of the staff were wearing masks.
    I want to know how China has prevented a second wave thus far (have they?).

No. I’ll have to do a proper look at it next week.
  • I want to know how China has prevented a second wave thus far (have they?).

Perhaps they have and they’ve covered it up.

More likely they’ve taken some extreme measures to combat any second wave.

Measures we can’t take, like welding people in their homes.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,839

I want to know how China has prevented a second wave thus far (have they?).

Some suppression of the numbers, but also the rules will 100% be enforced there. Far more invasive track and trace system than we'd ever allow here too most likely.
  • GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    It is clear to me that Sunak wants to prioritise "viable" (his words) jobs.

I think the necessary inference from his lack of additional support to the hospitality sector is he believes that any such jobs are now unviable. Which means, ultimately, that he expects restrictions to continue well into next year.

His choice is to prioritise the overall productivity of the economy over the hospitality sector.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706

I've just been to my local national chain of convenience stores with post office attachment and noticed none of the staff were wearing masks.

Did you therefore report them to the police for breaking the law?

No. I’ll have to do a proper look at it next week.
    Thanks for looking into it, very much appreciated.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Grandiose said:

I think the necessary inference from his lack of additional support to the hospitality sector is he believes that any such jobs are now unviable. Which means, ultimately, that he expects restrictions to continue well into next year.

His choice is to prioritise the overall productivity of the economy over the hospitality sector.

The problem is that you actually don't know what viable is - many businesses look viable until a supplier or large customer goes bankrupt taking them with it.
  • Grandiose said:

It's pure economics, the allocation of scarce resources.

I don't envy him, there's only bad choices to make.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,590
    Not so strange - in recent years, Westminster council has actually policed the license premises within the borough. As opposed to the Good Olde Days*

*Which weren't good.
    HYUFD said:

No of course not.
  • DavidL said:

The government has given this sector:
    Furlough
    Cash grants not given to other affected sectors. These are apparently going to be repeated.
    Bounce back loans
    Deferral of taxes
    A reduction in VAT
    EOTHO

I really don't think it can be said that he hasn't tried.

But he may still fail because demand has collapsed due to people being scared, the need to discourage reckless behaviour spreading the virus and boosting the R number and a lot of people simply not having any money because they too are being hit. This is very sad and frustrating for those affected and I have genuine sympathy for them, just as I do for the many advocates who are currently unable to pay their bills.

Also a 12 month abolition of business rates which can be hundreds or thousands of pounds a month.
  • HYUFD said:

I expect most decent people will not report them to the police

It is up to enforcement authorities to check these issues
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952
    Hospitality is buggered until it stops being the primary domestic vector for the transmission of Covid 19. For too many people, there is not eough in the for column to counterbalance the risk of catching Covid in the against column.

We have been out to a few local restaurants - and the food is lovely. But there is still a ghost at the feast. It doesn't make you want to linger any longer than it takes to eat.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Where the government really falls down is lack of honesty. When these new measures were introduced there was a cascade of folk suddenly realising their jobs and businesses were unviable. This seems to have come as something of a surprise to many.
    They ought never to have let that impression take hold. But Boris saves Summer/Xmas, here's a tenner off your food, go on holiday, go on and get plastered was too tempting, rather than some realistic levelling about the scale and potential duration of the problem.
    July and August was the time to emphasise that hard choices lay ahead.
    Instead we got feel good boosterism.

HYUFD said:

We the public ARE the enforcement authorities though.

HYUFD said:

And how can they do that effectively without public assistance, there are only so many police about at any one time
    eek said:

Grandiose said:

The problem is that you actually don't know what viable is - many businesses look viable until a supplier or large customer goes bankrupt taking them with it.
    This.

For example, quite a few people are saying "let the centre of London die. It will only harm some EvulRicheFurriners/Tories".

So x thousand pubs close. And x branches of Rymans and..... and.....

Then the vaccine comes through. So a year later.....

HYUFD said:

No of course not.
    So therefore as you refuse to help enforce the law there is no point you complaining about it is there
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And how can they do that effectively without public assistance, there are only so many police about at any one time
    Local authority personnel should assist as well as those allocated to checking these matters
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    edited September 2020
    Pulpstar said:
    Blimey you/he make it sound like their way is something we should desire/be envious of
  • HYUFD said:

We should form a Committee of Safety, get some Presbyterians on board, and it will be like old times.
    edited September 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Local authority personnel should assist as well as those allocated to checking these matters
    Again, there are not enough local authority personnel to do it all themselves.

If you saw a murder or a rape or a burglery or an assault being committed or someone speeding would you report that illegal activity so the police could then investigate and take action? If yes then you also should report someone not wearing a facemask when required to the police for breaking the law
  • I shall be doing my bit for the hospitality sector this weekend by spending three nights in a hotel.
  • @Cyclefree I don't understand why you think the VAT cut doesn't help those on the flat rate scheme. This struck me as very odd as it really should and according to this yes it does: https://www.gov.uk/vat-flat-rate-scheme/how-much-you-pay

For a pub the flat rate scheme has reduced VAT from 6.5% to just 1% so that's an 84.6% reduction in VAT bills liable which should be significant

If your daughter thinks she isn't gaining from this scheme then I'd recommend she seeks professional advice as she absolutely should be gaining as far as I understand it. I wouldn't want her to be paying 6.5x the amount liable.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Pubs are an anachronism from the time when almost everybody lived in shitty, cramped houses. They'll go the same way as public baths sooner or later.

I've got a really nice house so why would I want to go somewhere to sit next to a fruit machine while some wanker chats shit about his new golf shoes?
    I'll go for 7,300 reported cases as a guess for England today.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    Toby, who regrets supporting BoZo, now highlights another article that at a minimum might provide an excuse for BoZo stepping down...

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1309468921653800960

Funny that
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:
    Blimey you/he make it sound like their way is something we should desire/be envious of
    Keeps infections down ;)
    edited September 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

Pubs are an anachronism from the time when almost everybody lived in shitty, cramped houses. They'll go the same way as public baths sooner or later.

I've got a really nice house so why would I want to go somewhere to sit next to a fruit machine while some wanker chats shit about his new golf shoes?

In villages and market towns pubs are the social centre of the community as well as doing good Sunday lunches for walkers and visitors
    Dura_Ace said:

You might have a nice house, but have you seen the tiny cramped dross that passes for new builds ?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    Dura_Ace said:

So you can smile with smug satisfaction, knowing that your golf shoes were more expensive, obviously
  • Scott_xP said:

Toby, who regrets supporting BoZo, now highlights another article that at a minimum might provide an excuse for BoZo stepping down...

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1309468921653800960

Funny that

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1309471496021192706?s=21
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No of course not.
    So therefore as you refuse to help enforce the law there is no point you complaining about it is there
    It’s my god given English right to complain so complain I will.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

You might have a nice house, but have you seen the tiny cramped dross that passes for new builds ?
    Which is now also the office...,
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,262
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:
    If it works, sure. Would you rather be dead than share your credit card details? It's not as though the Government can't look at them anyway, you know.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

HYUFD said:

We should form a Committee of Safety, get some Presbyterians on board, and it will be like old times.
    Things go in cycles, apparently shutting pubs and cancelling Christmas has a 314 year cycle. Have we also shut the bear baiting yet?
    edited September 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No of course not.
    It’s my god given English right to complain so complain I will.
    The government have made it illegal to be in a shop without a facemask now, whether staff or not, now the PM can either send the army onto the streets as he has not ruled out and double the number of police on patrol and put CCTV on every street corner and ensure you are watched at every waking moment you are outside the house as in the Far East or the public can help enforce the law by reporting these illegal acts.

If you refuse to do so there is no more the government can do
  • kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Things go in cycles, apparently shutting pubs and cancelling Christmas has a 314 year cycle. Have we also shut the bear baiting yet?
    Already been shut, so we'll have to end monarchy instead.

HYUFD said:

The only way it will be like old times is when Covid no longer stalks the land....
    isam said:
    There is nothing spineless about complying with the law on Covid
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2020
    Pulpstar said:

twitter.com/hughster/status/1309476438702264321

Its a nonsense comparison. There is absolutely no way the UK public would accept the state spying on our every move, every payment we make, every interaction.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    (On topic.) At the core of this discussion, there is an issue.

Increased costs are imposed on the hospitality industry by the government.

Who should pay these costs?

Should it be the people who use the restaraunts and pubs? Should it be the people who own them? Or should it be the taxpayers in general?

If it is to be the last, as Ms @Cyclefree suggests, then we should not forget that it is all taxpayers who will be subsidising the activities of those who eat out.

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Until the Restoration
  • Pulpstar said:

Its a nonsense comparison. There is absolutely no way the UK public would accept the state spying on our every move, every payment we make, every interaction.
    Half the British public probably thinks they already do that.

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

OK but only for a few years. And we'll be needing Ireland and Jamaica back.
  • Pulpstar said:

Higher, lower, nice to see you, to see you.....
    we hear about the anger and frustration all the time, I think we get it.
  • The q-anon stuff is a red flag for a society in steep decline.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753

DavidL said:

The government has given this sector:
    Furlough
    Cash grants not given to other affected sectors. These are apparently going to be repeated.
    Bounce back loans
    Deferral of taxes
    A reduction in VAT
    EOTHO

I really don't think it can be said that he hasn't tried.

But he may still fail because demand has collapsed due to people being scared, the need to discourage reckless behaviour spreading the virus and boosting the R number and a lot of people simply not having any money because they too are being hit. This is very sad and frustrating for those affected and I have genuine sympathy for them, just as I do for the many advocates who are currently unable to pay their bills.

Also a 12 month abolition of business rates which can be hundreds or thousands of pounds a month.
    Absolutely. Forgot that one and its a biggy.
  • The Bar Council has snuffed out an attempt by controversial barrister Henry Hendron to nominate himself as a candidate in its upcoming elections.

Hendron, who was suspended from practice for three years in 2016 after he admitted supplying drugs which killed his boyfriend at a chemsex orgy in Temple, was seeking to join the regulator to oversee the profession.

He submitted his bid at 16:57 on Monday, three minutes before the deadline.

At 16:58, the Bar Council's executive team rejected his application, informing him that printing 'HH' as his signature was insufficient. Hendron volleyed back a hand-signed version which he says would have arrived no later than 17:01.

But he was told his application was still being rejected because he was out of time. "You can't be serious about that?" replied the barrister, who won his appeal against a second suspension in 2019.

However, head of Governance Natalie Zara was indeed serious, and informed Hendron she was "unable to correspond any further on this matter" with him.

The barrister, who has acted for Conservative politicians Nigel Evans and Nadine Dorries, intends to escalate the matter to the courts, and has made an application in the RCJ to validate his nomination and get himself back on the ballot.

Hendron argued in his nomination's supporting statement that "to lead change we need a Bar Council which is diverse in every respect, which includes and embraces all, from the young radicals to the old dinosaurs of the bar, and those in between the two".

He continued, "I am (very!) openly gay, opinionated (but in a reasoned (and I hope nice way!)), tolerant and compassionate and I believe that the Bar needs to stand up and lead the change in the legal sector, and not simply respond to change thrust upon it".

Hendron told RollOnFriday it was ironic that his statement addressed how the Bar Council should be 'leading change', "yet at the heart of its own election process it seemingly fights any change at all by its stubborn refusal to adapt with the times and allow electronic signature".

He said the requirement for a handwritten signature specified in the nomination guidance was "no doubt" added by "some administrative junky [sic]" within the Bar Council.

The Bar Council did not respond to requests for comment.

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/exclusive-bar-council-crushes-chemsex-barristers-election-bid
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

In villages and market towns pubs are the social centre of the community as well as doing good Sunday lunches for walkers and visitors
    That is sooo 20th Century.

Pulpstar said:

In the event that Sealion had actually worked (Alien Spacebat impossible but still...) and the Nazis conquered the UK....

1/3 of the country would have fought to the death
    1/3 of the country wouldn't have noticed

The other 1/3rd would have been lining up round the block to join up and be a BlockFuhrer.....
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

eek said:

Grandiose said:

This.

For example, quite a few people are saying "let the centre of London die. It will only harm some EvulRicheFurriners/Tories".

So x thousand pubs close. And x branches of Rymans and..... and.....

Then the vaccine comes through. So a year later.....

Those that are needed will come back one way or another

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

That is sooo 20th Century.
    Even more so now with fewer residents commuting into cities and more having lunch in their local pub
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050
    edited September 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

I wouldn't put in quite those terms, but there is some truth in what you say. The numbers of pubs closing over the last couple of decades proves the point. It is not just that homes have got nicer, but also new means of communication make pubs less relevant to a younger generation.

Pubs that survive do so by evolving. There are markets for gastropubs, sports bars, hipster craft beer emporiums etc etc, but the back street boozers like the Queen Vic or Rovers Return are an anachronism.

isam said:
    Imagine that letter was from Imans... What would the response be then?
  • Pulpstar said:

If it is that'd match the 7-8 day case doubling idea.

The Bar Council has snuffed out an attempt by controversial barrister Henry Hendron to nominate himself as a candidate in its upcoming elections.

Hendron, who was suspended from practice for three years in 2016 after he admitted supplying drugs which killed his boyfriend at a chemsex orgy in Temple, was seeking to join the regulator to oversee the profession.

At 16:58, the Bar Council's executive team rejected his application, informing him that printing 'HH' as his signature was insufficient. Hendron volleyed back a hand-signed version which he says would have arrived no later than 17:01.

But he was told his application was still being rejected because he was out of time. "You can't be serious about that?" replied the barrister, who won his appeal against a second suspension in 2019.

However, head of Governance Natalie Zara was indeed serious, and informed Hendron she was "unable to correspond any further on this matter" with him.

The barrister, who has acted for Conservative politicians Nigel Evans and Nadine Dorries, intends to escalate the matter to the courts, and has made an application in the RCJ to validate his nomination and get himself back on the ballot.

Hendron argued in his nomination's supporting statement that "to lead change we need a Bar Council which is diverse in every respect, which includes and embraces all, from the young radicals to the old dinosaurs of the bar, and those in between the two".

He continued, "I am (very!) openly gay, opinionated (but in a reasoned (and I hope nice way!)), tolerant and compassionate and I believe that the Bar needs to stand up and lead the change in the legal sector, and not simply respond to change thrust upon it".

Hendron told RollOnFriday it was ironic that his statement addressed how the Bar Council should be 'leading change', "yet at the heart of its own election process it seemingly fights any change at all by its stubborn refusal to adapt with the times and allow electronic signature".

He said the requirement for a handwritten signature specified in the nomination guidance was "no doubt" added by "some administrative junky [sic]" within the Bar Council.

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/exclusive-bar-council-crushes-chemsex-barristers-election-bid

If handwritten is required that's that. Makes sense to change it but surely not retroactively.

Though if he emailed 3 minutes I'd have emailed back after it since you cannot demand instant response and you should get in sooner just in case there's a problem.
  • HYUFD said:
    Says man who campaigned to end free trade with Europe.

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Not while the Queen lives.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Many Local Authority workers have been on full pay since the end of March without doing any work.
  • They all knew what he was like, and still chose him as their leader and our PM. Spare us the handwringing. Either get rid of him or STFU.
  • HYUFD said:
    No he didn't, he's always advocated having a free trade agreement with Europe, just as the Tories are still seeking to negotiate.

The EU != free trade.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Many Local Authority workers have been on full pay since the end of March without doing any work.
    Which LAs are those?
  • HYUFD said:
    He was shocked - shocked! - to discover nationalism going on in the Brexit campaign.
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

so say a great many people around the world I bet. I cannot think of another explanation for retention in various countries where apparently all major parties agree yet they haven't done it yet.
  • DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, it is going to be a culture shock for us all when Charles ascends to the throne.

As a republican, he'll do so much for the republicanism movement than any republican.

The Bar Council has snuffed out an attempt by controversial barrister Henry Hendron to nominate himself as a candidate in its upcoming elections.

The man's a twat but some organisations really don't help themselves, do they?

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

well that makes me feel like a chump for working all this time.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    edited September 2020
    "We are all in this together". If ever there was a situation in which that catchphrase applied it is now, in the pandemic, and the whole world is in it together. But where is the international coordination that this catastrophe calls for? Countries are applying their own travel restrictions on visitors from or visits to other countries. The arm of the UN known as the WHO is proffering opinion and advice from the sidelines but is generally ignored by government actors. The EU, which with Schengen has established travel protocols and regulations, is similarly not much more than a by-standing onlooker. IATA urges governments to implement systematic covid19 testing before international departures so that borders can be reopened but is pissing in the wind. Shouldn't sovereignty and autonomous national policies be eschewed in favour of the greater global good in this area? The UN and the EU are revealed to be not fit for this purpose, and this is the fault of all countries but especially the "world leaders", USA and China, who are very far from leading by example.
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

so say a great many people around the world I bet. I cannot think of another explanation for retention in various countries where apparently all major parties agree yet they haven't done it yet.
    Because the alternative is seem as not an improvement. Within 5 minutes of getting a President, in the UK, the cost will exceed that of the Royal Family. With all the added fun of some political clown in the office.

By comparison Jug Ears will say some mildly nice things about multi faith and saving the whales. Which are hardly out of style at the moment.
  • HYUFD said:
    No he didn't, he's always advocated having a free trade agreement with Europe, just as the Tories are still seeking to negotiate.

The EU != free trade.
    A free trade agreement is the biggest misnomer around. All they do is reduce or remove tariffs. You can’t get true free trade without political integration of one form or another.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So what's ne...no, I am going to resist.

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, it is going to be a culture shock for us all when Charles ascends to the throne.

As a republican, he'll do so much for the republicanism movement than any republican.
    I think Charles is pretty unobjectionable really, and will clam up a lot more once he's king, but even though I doubt in this country it will see republicanism succeed the simple end of an era moment will im sure mean you are right it will give the idea a shot in the arm.
  • HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Locals" especially if they serve food have better prospects than the city centre bars dependent on the weekend bingers. Won't miss the latter.
    Friend of mine made redundant today. He's a chef.
  • HYUFD said:

The EU != free trade.
    A free trade agreement is the biggest misnomer around. All they do is reduce or remove tariffs. You can’t get true free trade without political integration of one form or another.
    Of course you can, you can do what the EEC did in its early days which was much more the principle of mutual recognition and much less political integration.

The EU's political integration is a political choice not an economic necessity.
  • HYUFD said:

The EU != free trade.
    An FTA with the EU will be far less ambitious than the Single Market. The "free trade" argument for leaving the EU is at best ill-informed, but more likely just dishonest.

They all knew what he was like, and still chose him as their leader and our PM. Spare us the handwringing. Either get rid of him or STFU.
    They thought they needed him to turn their fortunes around and win an election. They were right.

They likely knew it meant trouble later, but what politicians don't choose trouble later over trouble today?
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

The q-anon stuff is a red flag for a society in steep decline.
    I don't know about that, but it certainly tells you that the person concerned is extremely gullible. Even as conspiracies go QAnon was obviously total bloody nonsense from day one, and made may oblique claims that were almost immediately falsified. That it gained any traction at all is astounding, it's like people reading the Illuminatus! Trilogy and instead of enjoying the satire they are thinking it is real.
  • kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I think Charles is pretty unobjectionable really, and will clam up a lot more once he's king, but even though I doubt in this country it will see republicanism succeed the simple end of an era moment will im sure mean you are right it will give the idea a shot in the arm.
    There are a lot of republicans in this country who (rightly) recognise its a non-issue while HMQ is alive.

Once Charles ascends, it may not happen immediately or even be likely, but the self-imposed gag on discussing the subject will be lifted.
  • Millions of counterfeit and fake goods, including 27 million face masks, have been seized in Europe.

The eight-month operation, named Aphrodite, was led by Italian and Irish authorities, with support from the EU's law enforcement co-operation agency Europol.

Authorities tracked online sales of fake items before carrying out checks in a number of countries, leading to the confiscation of nearly 28 million illegal and counterfeit goods.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

He’s just the way to the sainted Kate and blessed william
This discussion has been closed.