Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Personal View of Sunak’s plans from a Lake District Pub – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I've just been to my local national chain of convenience stores with post office attachment and noticed none of the staff were wearing masks.

Did you therefore report them to the police for breaking the law?
    I expect most decent people will not report them to the police

It is up to enforcement authorities to check these issues
    We the public ARE the enforcement authorities though.
    We should form a Committee of Safety, get some Presbyterians on board, and it will be like old times.
    Things go in cycles, apparently shutting pubs and cancelling Christmas has a 314 year cycle. Have we also shut the bear baiting yet?
    Already been shut, so we'll have to end monarchy instead.
    Not while the Queen lives.
    Indeed, it is going to be a culture shock for us all when Charles ascends to the throne.

As a republican, he'll do so much for the republicanism movement than any republican.
    I think Charles is pretty unobjectionable really, and will clam up a lot more once he's king, but even though I doubt in this country it will see republicanism succeed the simple end of an era moment will im sure mean you are right it will give the idea a shot in the arm.
    I did hear that some private polling/focus groups showed the Queen took a hit for her role during the shameful prorogation.

'The Queen did not save us.'

It'll be incremental, ironically I can see King Charles III* refusing to give Royal Assent to a bill he objects to, or getting involved in politics in a way his mother hasn't.

*Or whatever he calls himself.
  • Options
    The R number, which measures how quickly the epidemic is growing, has risen to between 1.2 and 1.5, from last week's figure of 1.1 to 1.4, the UK government says.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Says man who campaigned to end free trade with Europe.
    No he didn't, he's always advocated having a free trade agreement with Europe, just as the Tories are still seeking to negotiate.

The EU != free trade.
    A free trade agreement is the biggest misnomer around. All they do is reduce or remove tariffs. You can’t get true free trade without political integration of one form or another.
    Of course you can, you can do what the EEC did in its early days which was much more the principle of mutual recognition and much less political integration.

The EU's political integration is a political choice not an economic necessity.
    You don’t think a customs union is political?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I've just been to my local national chain of convenience stores with post office attachment and noticed none of the staff were wearing masks.

We should form a Committee of Safety, get some Presbyterians on board, and it will be like old times.
    Things go in cycles, apparently shutting pubs and cancelling Christmas has a 314 year cycle. Have we also shut the bear baiting yet?
    so say a great many people around the world I bet. I cannot think of another explanation for retention in various countries where apparently all major parties agree yet they haven't done it yet.
    Because the alternative is seem as not an improvement. Within 5 minutes of getting a President, in the UK, the cost will exceed that of the Royal Family. With all the added fun of some political clown in the office.

By comparison Jug Ears will say some mildly nice things about multi faith and saving the whales. Which are hardly out of style at the moment.
    I'm a royalist myself, its just with this Barbados talk recently it is really weird that some places seem to have consensus to change but take ages to do it. Alternatives being worse doesn't apply when all major parties don't think that's true, as is the case in a few places
  • Options

The R number, which measures how quickly the epidemic is growing, has risen to between 1.2 and 1.5, from last week's figure of 1.1 to 1.4, the UK government says.

Lockdown 2: Lockdown Harder is coming next week.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    No he didn't, he's always advocated having a free trade agreement with Europe, just as the Tories are still seeking to negotiate.

The EU != free trade.
    An FTA with the EU will be far less ambitious than the Single Market. The "free trade" argument for leaving the EU is at best ill-informed, but more likely just dishonest.
    The EU is less than 6% of the planet's population and is rapidly shrinking as a share of global GDP and trade.

The future is not little Europeanism, it is embracing the globe as Britain has successfully done for centuries. I expect in my lifetime we will trade more with Asia than with Europe.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU != free trade.
    A free trade agreement is the biggest misnomer around. All they do is reduce or remove tariffs. You can’t get true free trade without political integration of one form or another.
    Of course you can, you can do what the EEC did in its early days which was much more the principle of mutual recognition and much less political integration.

Not especially, though I think its a bad idea for us to be in the customs union it is much more economic than a Parliament passing laws on working conditions etc
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited September 2020

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, it is going to be a culture shock for us all when Charles ascends to the throne.

As a republican, he'll do so much for the republicanism movement than any republican.
    I think Charles is pretty unobjectionable really, and will clam up a lot more once he's king, but even though I doubt in this country it will see republicanism succeed the simple end of an era moment will im sure mean you are right it will give the idea a shot in the arm.
    I did hear that some private polling/focus groups showed the Queen took a hit for her role during the shameful prorogation.

It'll be incremental, ironically I can see King Charles III* refusing to give Royal Assent to a bill he objects to, or getting involved in politics in a way his mother hasn't.

There is some divide along political lines, Tories and Leavers are the strongest monarchists for example 49% of monarchists who vote vote Tory compared to only 34% who vote Labour while 61% of republicans vote Labour compared to only 13% who vote Tory.

Similarly 56% of monarchists voted Leave while 65% of republicans voted Remain

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2018/05/18/who-are-monarchists

Tory voters by 46% to 27% think Prince Charles will make a good King, Labour voters by 33% to 31% think he will not. However perhaps surprisingly LDs are the biggest Charles fans, 50% of LD voters think Charles will make a good King to only 24% who think he will not

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/will-prince-charles-make-a-good-king
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

All that polling will have shown is people not understanding the role or else a lot more people thinking autocratic government is a good thing than we thought (which given they wanted her to act like an autocrat to stop Johnson acting autocratic is pretty amusing). Wanting the queen to act differently there only makes sense if no one thinks about it.
  • Options
    I wonder if Sunak is so likely to be the next leader that laying him is good value
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU != free trade.
    An FTA with the EU will be far less ambitious than the Single Market. The "free trade" argument for leaving the EU is at best ill-informed, but more likely just dishonest.
    The EU is less than 6% of the planet's population and is rapidly shrinking as a share of global GDP and trade.

The future is not little Europeanism, it is embracing the globe as Britain has successfully done for centuries. I expect in my lifetime we will trade more with Asia than with Europe.
    Which Asian countries do you think will trade more with us than with their neighbours, or are they all guilty of “little Asianism”?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I would honestly be amazed if 1 in 1000 could explain what on earth the prorogation dispute was about, who won and why it mattered.
    Politics JOE produced a handy explainer, which is as catchy and hilarious as it later turned out to be mistaken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0pTpwqkB48
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I would honestly be amazed if 1 in 1000 could explain what on earth the prorogation dispute was about, who won and why it mattered.
    Because lots of people view everything through the Brexit prism, she was seen as conniving with the Brexiteers/Boris.

The other thing was when the SCOTUK ruled against the government, that view spread to non Brexiteers.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

given even at the time the government said it wasn't about Brexit and then complained about remainers blocking them you're probably right.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU != free trade.

Not especially, though I think its a bad idea for us to be in the customs union it is much more economic than a Parliament passing laws on working conditions etc
    If you don’t think a customs union is particularly political then you don’t think the ability to make your own trade deals is particularly important, so your whole argument is reduced to utterly incoherent Union Jack underpantsism.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU != free trade.

Which Asian countries do you think will trade more with us than with their neighbours, or are they all guilty of “little Asianism”?
    Asian countries aren't guilty of little Asianism, they quite rightly seek to trade with the whole globe and not put up customs barriers and political barriers against the rest of the world. They're not seeking to group Asia together into some kind of Asian Union.

You only need to look at what proportion of our goods today are manufactured in Asia to see how well they're pulling it off and why GDP has for decades grown much faster in Asia than in Europe. The EU is a failing project that fails to fix the real problems Europe has.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929
    DavidL said:

isam said:
    Imagine that letter was from Imans... What would the response be then?
    Whose response, Peter Hitchens'? I would have thought it would be the same as it was to this one
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

I wonder if Sunak is so likely to be the next leader that laying him is good value

Possibly. I think that this is a pretty visual of Sunak's Chancellorship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFuHikdkBXw

And we are just getting to the top.
  • Options
    Apparently some universities are forming special leper areas on campus, where they will be allowed to intermingle, get a drink etc, away from the rest of society.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

I’m don’t know but given they have chosen unproven popular failure it’s entirely likely they will chose another unproven candidate such as Sunak.
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

There are a lot of republicans in this country who (rightly) recognise its a non-issue while HMQ is alive.

Once Charles ascends, it may not happen immediately or even be likely, but the self-imposed gag on discussing the subject will be lifted.
    And that's not even a bad thing. I know which side I'm on, presently, but moments of transition should mean things come up for debate. Her Majesty knows that I've not doubt, hence doing what she can by getting Charles agreed to be next Comminwealth head.

I recall David Herdson did a piece saying that was preparing the ground for a regency.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

There are a lot of republicans in this country who (rightly) recognise its a non-issue while HMQ is alive.

Once Charles ascends, it may not happen immediately or even be likely, but the self-imposed gag on discussing the subject will be lifted.
    And that's not even a bad thing. I know which side I'm on, presently, but moments of transition should mean things come up for debate. Her Majesty knows that I've not doubt, hence doing what she can by getting Charles agreed to be next Comminwealth head.

I recall David Herdson did a piece saying that was preparing the ground for a regency.
    I'm quite happy and willing to serve as the Regent of the UK for the next 30 years or so.
  • Options

Apparently some universities are forming special leper areas on campus, where they will be allowed to intermingle, get a drink etc, away from the rest of society.

That’s a novel idea
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU != free trade.

Leaving the EU doesn't make it easier to trade with Asia. Countries like Germany, even Italy, are more successful at trading with Asia than we are, and don't seem to need to leave the EU to do so. Plus of course there is the role of distance in explaining trade intensities (size and distance being the main drivers of trade) which explains why we trade more with countries a short drive away than those on the other side of the planet. This whole global Britain stuff is just economically illiterate guff for weak-minded imperial nostalgics.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

If anyone supports the Monarchy only because they like the monarch in post, then they do not understand the institution very well.

The whole point of monarchy is genetics, not popularity. We could have Margaret on the throne now, very easily, or Prince Andrew as heir, if birth order was only slightly different.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Possibly. I think that this is a pretty visual of Sunak's Chancellorship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFuHikdkBXw

A steep rise followed by fast and rapid movement, some exhilarating ups and downs and a journey that at the end leaves people saying "what an awesome ride"?
  • Options

DavidL said:

A steep rise followed by fast and rapid movement, some exhilarating ups and downs and a journey that at the end leaves people saying "what an awesome ride"?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And how can they do that effectively without public assistance, there are only so many police about at any one time
    Local authority personnel should assist as well as those allocated to checking these matters
    Many Local Authority workers have been on full pay since the end of March without doing any work.
    How many is 'many'? Which local authorities? Which jobs?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Maybe but personally I got slightly queasy just looking at the video.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

If anyone supports the Monarchy only because they like the monarch in post, then they do not understand the institution very well.

The whole point of monarchy is genetics, not popularity. We could have Margaret on the throne now, very easily, or Prince Andrew as heir, if birth order was only slightly different.
    I'm a republican, but I know there's no point discussing it while HMQ is alive. That doesn't mean that I support the monarchy because of the current monarch, it just means I know its futile to discuss it while she lives.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Likelihood to vote by mail in North Carolina thus far (Gen Z defined at 1)

1 Gen Z
    1.11 for millenials
    1.68 for Gen Xers
    5 for Boomers
    7.67 for silent generation.
  • Options
    A trial of a new vaccine that appears to train the immune system to fight coronavirus has begun in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54296224
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Is that the false negative rate ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And how can they do that effectively without public assistance, there are only so many police about at any one time
    Local authority personnel should assist as well as those allocated to checking these matters
    Many Local Authority workers have been on full pay since the end of March without doing any work.
    In fairness we have had quite a lot of our staff on furlough over that time. Cleaners, receptionists, clerk support, delivery men, some librarians, basically all the people who normally help those working in the buildings work efficiently. They've all been on full wages.
  • Options
    Coronavirus, the flu, and a common cold walk into a bar at 9:59pm.

The bartender asks "What is this? Some kind of sick joke?"
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    nichomar said:

That’s a novel idea
    Christ, the last thing we should import from the US is frat houses.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU != free trade.

Asian countries aren't guilty of little Asianism, they quite rightly seek to trade with the whole globe and not put up customs barriers and political barriers against the rest of the world. They're not seeking to group Asia together into some kind of Asian Union.

You only need to look at what proportion of our goods today are manufactured in Asia to see how well they're pulling it off and why GDP has for decades grown much faster in Asia than in Europe. The EU is a failing project that fails to fix the real problems Europe has.
    Do you think being in the EU by definition implies additional barriers to trade with the rest of the world? If you do, this is a fundamental misconception.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Waiting to broach the subject until the next changeover is not misunderstanding the point of the system its sensibly picking a moment to review it.
  • Options

nichomar said:

That’s a novel idea
    We’re referring to what exists already, the Students Union.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I'm quite happy and willing to serve as the Regent of the UK for the next 30 years or so.
    I don't think she'll be around to regent for for that long.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2020
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

That’s a novel idea
    What I have been told it isn't that. They are having special restricted zone with marquees and only people who live on campus are allowed into the zone.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    'From now on'. So it's a choice, fair enough, and one they are adjusting on, not some immutable law that people are unreasonable for questioning
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU != free trade.

Leaving the EU doesn't make it easier to trade with Asia. Countries like Germany, even Italy, are more successful at trading with Asia than we are, and don't seem to need to leave the EU to do so. Plus of course there is the role of distance in explaining trade intensities (size and distance being the main drivers of trade) which explains why we trade more with countries a short drive away than those on the other side of the planet. This whole global Britain stuff is just economically illiterate guff for weak-minded imperial nostalgics.
    They may be more successful but even they're not doing that great. Germany has been shrinking relative to the rest of the globe. This is the problem of narcissistically only thinking about Europe, there's a big wide world outside our tiny continent.

In 1993 when the EEC became the EU, Germany made up 5.2% of global GDP.
    In 2018 Germany was just 2.9% of global GDP.

Look how Germany has fallen behind or grown slower than so many other countries in the past three decades:

GDP per capita: 1993 (EEC becomes the EU) ... 2018
    Germany $25,522 ... $47,603
    USA $26,387 ... $62,794
    Singapore $18,290 ... $64,581
    Australia $17,634 ... $51,373
    New Zealand $13,094 ... $41,945
    Canada $20,121 ... $46,233
    South Korea $8,741 ... $31,362
  • Options
    kle4 said:

'From now on'. So it's a choice, fair enough, and one they are adjusting on, not some immutable law that people are unreasonable for questioning
    It's an immutable law that, as Thatcher put it: "By turning our backs we would forfeit our right to influence what happens in the Community. But what happens in the Community will inevitably affect us."
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    I doubt young Carrie will be going anywhere in her expensive boat today; the weather around the lake is diabolical.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, I would support the monarchy even if it meant Prince Andrew would be the next King though I know I would be in a small minority on that.

Through most of our history we have had good and bad Kings and Queens, just as we have had good and bad Prime Ministers, there is no guarantee whoever you have leading the country or as Head of State will be any good, we are just fortunate our monarch and Head of State for the last nearly 70 years has been outstanding
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Far too logical. I am 59 this weekend and the Queen was our Queen well before I was born. She is history, our history and she has been an exceptional servant to this country worthy of respect. Her kids? Not so much. Then the institution will be looked at on its merits. And its clearly an anachronism with some nice Disney style features.
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

That’s a novel idea
    What I have been told it isn't that. They are having special restricted zone with marquees and only people who live on campus are allowed into the zone.
    That is very unfair to the 2/3 that live off campus.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    edited September 2020

HYUFD said:

The EU != free trade.

They may be more successful but even they're not doing that great. Germany has been shrinking relative to the rest of the globe. This is the problem of narcissistically only thinking about Europe, there's a big wide world outside our tiny continent.

Look how Germany has fallen behind or grown slower than so many other countries in the past three decades:

USA $26,387 ... $62,794
    Only one of the countries on your list had to absorb a failed communist state. It's you who's failing to see the bigger picture.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU != free trade.

USA $26,387 ... $62,794
    On those numbers we should aspire to be Singapore, especially as Singapore leads the PISA education rankings too
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Bar Council has snuffed out an attempt by controversial barrister Henry Hendron to nominate himself as a candidate in its upcoming elections.

Hendron, who was suspended from practice for three years in 2016 after he admitted supplying drugs which killed his boyfriend at a chemsex orgy in Temple, was seeking to join the regulator to oversee the profession.

He submitted his bid at 16:57 on Monday, three minutes before the deadline.

At 16:58, the Bar Council's executive team rejected his application, informing him that printing 'HH' as his signature was insufficient. Hendron volleyed back a hand-signed version which he says would have arrived no later than 17:01.

But he was told his application was still being rejected because he was out of time. "You can't be serious about that?" replied the barrister, who won his appeal against a second suspension in 2019.

However, head of Governance Natalie Zara was indeed serious, and informed Hendron she was "unable to correspond any further on this matter" with him.

The barrister, who has acted for Conservative politicians Nigel Evans and Nadine Dorries, intends to escalate the matter to the courts, and has made an application in the RCJ to validate his nomination and get himself back on the ballot.

Hendron argued in his nomination's supporting statement that "to lead change we need a Bar Council which is diverse in every respect, which includes and embraces all, from the young radicals to the old dinosaurs of the bar, and those in between the two".

He continued, "I am (very!) openly gay, opinionated (but in a reasoned (and I hope nice way!)), tolerant and compassionate and I believe that the Bar needs to stand up and lead the change in the legal sector, and not simply respond to change thrust upon it".

Hendron told RollOnFriday it was ironic that his statement addressed how the Bar Council should be 'leading change', "yet at the heart of its own election process it seemingly fights any change at all by its stubborn refusal to adapt with the times and allow electronic signature".

He said the requirement for a handwritten signature specified in the nomination guidance was "no doubt" added by "some administrative junky [sic]" within the Bar Council.

The Bar Council did not respond to requests for comment.

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/exclusive-bar-council-crushes-chemsex-barristers-election-bid

The man's a twat but some organisations really don't help themselves, do they?
    IF deadlines AND signature requirement were part of nomination rules, then he has NO CASE - surely a lawyer could figure THAT out.

Maybe he and Kanye West should get together and compare notes?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As an example electrical and mechanical engineers and associated staff. You will be amazed how many this includes. I deal with five Local Authorities. An electrical engineer at a council is a golf buddy of mine. he has worked one day in 6 months.
  • Options

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/the-busiest-ive-seen-central-london-in-months-as-pubs-evict-drinkers-at-10pm-ffh2d3tvf

This policy is an absolute disaster</blockquot

Strange that your new hero Keir backs it along with Sadiq Khan

• Options

kle4 said:

It's an immutable law that, as Thatcher put it: "By turning our backs we would forfeit our right to influence what happens in the Community. But what happens in the Community will inevitably affect us."
    They seem clear you're wrong about immutability. I changed my mind and switched back to remain, but no one can get away with claiming something is black and white when even one if the parties involved say its grey.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited September 2020
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I think you're missing the distinction between supporting the monarchy and not supporting the abolition of the monarchy.

There are those, and I am one, who see the flaws of monarchy as an institution but don't see addressing it as any sort of a priority while we in fact have a widely respected monarch, who has been there a very long time.

When she dies, some of us would feel it might be time to politely knock it on the head. More would feel like that if the next in line was Andrew. But he isn't, and I can see why some people would continue to not support abolition not on principle but on the practical grounds that there could quite easily be worse heads of state than Charles Windsor so why bother?
  • Options
    They should shut pubs and bars entirely. I would hate it but it's for the best.
  • Options
    On a lighter note, look at the replies to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/BorderKent/status/1309461389900230662
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

That’s a novel idea
    I used to run one.. I was supposing extra-special-leper-colonies.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    edited September 2020
    A bit like enforced mask wearing, now what was the daily positive case rate when mask wearing in shops was introduced? We are full tilt martingale mask wearing system now. In two weeks masks wearing will be enforced in offices and in another two weeks in all outdoor spaces. By December we will be wearing nuclear suits at all times.

Tomorrow night I will attend the pub. I must now wear a mask as I walk through the pub on arrival, when I sit down at a table with people not from my household I do not need to wear a mask, but when i go to to the toilet I do. Now that really makes sense.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Scott_xP said:

Toby, who regrets supporting BoZo, now highlights another article that at a minimum might provide an excuse for BoZo stepping down...

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1309468921653800960

Funny that

Yet this is exactly what most people who know or have worked with Boris expected from the beginning. I don’t see any particular reason to think he is still ill.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is that the false negative rate ?

Quite probably. Given that 30% is not uncommon for a single test....
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196
    A wise man once said "it is you patriotic duty to go to the pub". And it wasn't so long ago.
  • Options

They should shut pubs and bars entirely. I would hate it but it's for the best.

Why not trying enforcing mask wearing and social distancing as the pubs close, wack out a few fines and be seen would solve the problem.
  • Options

I think my favourite was:
    Crouching Driver, Hidden Wagon
  • Options
    Excellent header @Cyclefree. Should be tweeted widely to MPs and their aides.

• Options

A bit like enforced mask wearing, now what was the daily positive case rate when mask wearing in shops was introduced? We are full tilt martingale mask wearing system now. In two weeks masks wearing will be enforced in offices and in another two weeks in all outdoor spaces. By December we will be wearing nuclear suits at all times.

Tomorrow night I will attend the pub. I must now wear a mask as I walk through the pub on arrival, when I sit down at a table with people not from my household I do not need to wear a mask, but when i go to to the toilet I do. Now that really makes sense.
    Well if your siting with people you don’t really know then you are an idiot. Failure to make shop assistants and bar staff as a serial error, failure o enforce it has been another.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2020
    DavidL said:

I think my favourite was:
    Crouching Driver, Hidden Wagon
    Yes, that's is a goody.

I also liked 'Bend it like Beckenham' and 'The Sittingbourne Ultimatum'.

Here's one of my own: 'Gone with the Weald'
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Toby, who regrets supporting BoZo, now highlights another article that at a minimum might provide an excuse for BoZo stepping down...

Funny that

Yet this is exactly what most people who know or have worked with Boris expected from the beginning. I don’t see any particular reason to think he is still ill.
    A political historian once said that being PM is like shining an x-ray on the character and the soul.

We seem to have an outstanding case here.

Can't recall who wrote that though.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The Bar Council has snuffed out an attempt by controversial barrister Henry Hendron to nominate himself as a candidate in its upcoming elections.

Hendron, who was suspended from practice for three years in 2016 after he admitted supplying drugs which killed his boyfriend at a chemsex orgy in Temple, was seeking to join the regulator to oversee the profession.

He submitted his bid at 16:57 on Monday, three minutes before the deadline.

At 16:58, the Bar Council's executive team rejected his application, informing him that printing 'HH' as his signature was insufficient. Hendron volleyed back a hand-signed version which he says would have arrived no later than 17:01.

But he was told his application was still being rejected because he was out of time. "You can't be serious about that?" replied the barrister, who won his appeal against a second suspension in 2019.

However, head of Governance Natalie Zara was indeed serious, and informed Hendron she was "unable to correspond any further on this matter" with him.

The barrister, who has acted for Conservative politicians Nigel Evans and Nadine Dorries, intends to escalate the matter to the courts, and has made an application in the RCJ to validate his nomination and get himself back on the ballot.

Hendron argued in his nomination's supporting statement that "to lead change we need a Bar Council which is diverse in every respect, which includes and embraces all, from the young radicals to the old dinosaurs of the bar, and those in between the two".

He continued, "I am (very!) openly gay, opinionated (but in a reasoned (and I hope nice way!)), tolerant and compassionate and I believe that the Bar needs to stand up and lead the change in the legal sector, and not simply respond to change thrust upon it".

Hendron told RollOnFriday it was ironic that his statement addressed how the Bar Council should be 'leading change', "yet at the heart of its own election process it seemingly fights any change at all by its stubborn refusal to adapt with the times and allow electronic signature".

He said the requirement for a handwritten signature specified in the nomination guidance was "no doubt" added by "some administrative junky [sic]" within the Bar Council.

The Bar Council did not respond to requests for comment.

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/exclusive-bar-council-crushes-chemsex-barristers-election-bid

The man's a twat but some organisations really don't help themselves, do they?
    IF deadlines AND signature requirement were part of nomination rules, then he has NO CASE - surely a lawyer could figure THAT out.

Maybe he and Kanye West should get together and compare notes?
    Surely a decent barrister (if he is one) can argue electronic signatures count. There will be plenty who have used them in the last six months, yours truly included.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Yes, Boris and the c*** will try and hand him political defeat after defeat to destroy his credibility even if it means taking down the whole country by destabilising the treasury. They care more about their agenda than the future if the nation.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    If the EU think they'll win round UK waiverers by the promise of ever closer union, I think they may have made a tactical mistake.

(incidentally - I don't think they just mean the UK)
  • Options
    Mayor Invisible of London has popped up to demand Boris ban household mixing in London. The government are going to get bumped into this, it is just a matter of how long now.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yes, Boris and the c*** will try and hand him political defeat after defeat to destroy his credibility even if it means taking down the whole country by destabilising the treasury. They care more about their agenda than the future if the nation.
    Cummings maybe; perhaps even Gove but I'm not really sure Boris has an agenda besides hoping things will turn out nice again. Whether @CorrectHorseBattery has quite got the hang of this laying lark is a separate question.
  • Options

A wise man once said "it is you patriotic duty to go to the pub". And it wasn't so long ago.
    I know that a blethering chump said that- who was the wise man?
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

Lockdown 2: Lockdown Harder is coming next week.
    Fo sho
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Well, just come back from a v. pleasant, and filling meal, at a well thought of local restaurant. Positives. The food; chicken Kiev with lightly curried vegetables for her, lamb shank with Moroccan 'vegetables' for me. And very good they were, too. As was the spicy calamari with which I started. And a very pleasant Pinot Grigio too. All staff we saw were masked. About the half the usual number of tables.
    Negatives.No sign of anywhere to check in the with NHS App.Couldn't get internet access to keep up with Essex progress against Somerset.

Give it a day or so and I'll do a run round the local pubs. Purely, of course, in the interests of supplying information to this site. Perish the thought that there'd be any other reason!
  • Options
    I am not sure western society, as we know it, is going to survive a winter of lockdown
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    edited September 2020

The problem is, you think the government should be ranking risk activities, and using that as the basis of restrictions, such as mask wearing.

That makes perfect sense, right?

Wrong.

The government wants to minimise the spread of CV19, while also minimising the economic impact.

If you want to do something that increases R (like having schools and universities go back), then you need to find other measures that reduce it. Even if those measures are lower risk, you need to proscribe them to allow activities with higher R (but greater societal impact) to happen.

• Options
    Grandiose said:

If the EU think they'll win round UK waiverers by the promise of ever closer union, I think they may have made a tactical mistake.

(incidentally - I don't think they just mean the UK)

I think you've missed the point of the Charles Michel tweet. He's saying that there are no privileges for being an ex-member.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

I am not sure western society, as we know it, is going to survive a winter of lockdown

At least we've got the US civil war to look forward to.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Well if your siting with people you don’t really know then you are an idiot. Failure to make shop assistants and bar staff as a serial error, failure o enforce it has been another.
    I will be sitting with lifelong friends, but they are not part of my household. Its ok to breathe on them but I must wear a mask in what is a socially distanced toilet. ie some urinals closed
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    MaxPB said:

The same Boris who promoted Rishi to Chief Secretary to the Treasury as soon as he became PM, trusted him to represent him in a general election debate, and then (with Cummings) unceremoniously forced Javid out because they wanted Rishi to be the Chancellor so much?

It's a view.
  • Options

LadyG said:

Extraordinary that this comment now seems quite rational. Major civil strife in America is now a distinct possibility, and if it comes it will be hideously envenomed by race
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The problem is, you think the government should be ranking risk activities, and using that as the basis of restrictions, such as mask wearing.

That makes perfect sense, right?

Wrong.

The government wants to minimise the spread of CV19, while also minimising the economic impact.

If you want to do something that increases R (like having schools and universities go back), then you need to find other measures that reduce it. Even if those measures are lower risk, you need to proscribe them to allow activities with higher R (but greater societal impact) to happen.

I know we will never agree but if you look at the graphs a week after mask wearing in shops was introduced in July cases started increasing.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196

I know that a blethering chump said that- who was the wise man?
    A Latin Scholar no less.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

LadyG said:

Won't be a clear-cut, geographically, as last time though. So probably messier.
    'Two hundred and thirty years ago our forefathers.....
  • Options
    In about ten weeks, if Covid the Sequel continues to worsen as it is now, Brexit is going to seem a ridiculous act of dangerous and decadent pointlessness. The polls may swing wildly against it.

What would Boris do then?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Funny that

I want to play a game with the still ill theorists: I give them 20 stills or videos of Boris, 10 from Jan to March and 10 from June to August, and they have to allocate them correctly. He always looks like that.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929
    LadyG said:

People wont do it
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Funny that

I want to play a game with the still ill theorists: I give them 20 stills or videos of Boris, 10 from Jan to March and 10 from June to August, and they have to allocate them correctly. He always looks like that.
    He's also a new father, of a screaming baby, at the age of 56. He is bound to look totally fucked all the time.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

In about ten weeks, if Covid the Sequel continues to worsen as it is now, Brexit is going to seem a ridiculous act of dangerous and decadent pointlessness. The polls may swing wildly against it.

What would Boris do then?

Stop with this ridiculous Project Fear, Brexit will be a success, you just need to believe in it harder.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

nichomar said:

I will be sitting with lifelong friends, but they are not part of my household. Its ok to breathe on them but I must wear a mask in what is a socially distanced toilet. ie some urinals closed
    Can I ask what gender you identify as? I thought Nerys was F.
This discussion has been closed.