Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With 93 days to go Trump is going to have to do better than th

1235»

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

It might actually be a firecracker warehouse

LOL seriously Max? What else might fizz and crackle like that (and I don't mean a Suzuki FS1E).

Where is @Dura_Ace when we need him.

Hold on.....

WHERE IS @DURA_ACE!!!?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe @Yokes knows something...
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    MaxPB said:

Worrying trend from the ONS data today, excess deaths in homes have continued to rise. This points to more people dying of undiagnosed health issues rather than having them treated in hospital.

Why do you think this is happening?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    theProle said:

England case numbers, absolute

Anyone using the last 3-5 days to prove a point is an idiot.

Am I being thick, or has High Peak gone AWOL? Looked through several times and can't spot it
    Can't see a number of London boroughs either, so not a complete list
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    theProle said:

England case numbers, absolute

Anyone using the last 3-5 days to prove a point is an idiot.

Am I being thick, or has High Peak gone AWOL? Looked through several times and can't spot it
    Same for the Devons - West Devon was bottom 2, can't find it now
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    MaxPB said:

Worrying trend from the ONS data today, excess deaths in homes have continued to rise. This points to more people dying of undiagnosed health issues rather than having them treated in hospital.

Could it also be elderly people who might otherwise have moved into care homes or hospitals? (and died there)
  • Options

Not only did IDS not read the Withdrawal Agreement that he voted for and insisted should be ratified without delay, he also doesn't understand the bits he didn't read:

https://twitter.com/JamesCrisp6/status/1290624097542639616

To be fair the EU shafted is on the EIB. Returning capital at nominal value at the end of the loan cycle was particularly egregious
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Re: Englands "COVID deaths" numbers. Isn't it about time that PHE admitted that they've seriously cocked up with the counting? Our hospitals are half empty and they are claiming that the vast majority of people suffering seriously enough from Covid that it kills them are not going to hospital. I understand the message "protect the NHS" might have been taken onboard, but not to this extent...

Whereas there are other countries with far fewer reported deaths (including population adjusted) which are reporting high levels of ICU occupation and severe shortages of hospital space. The whole thing just doesn't smell right at all, however much people want to use numbers as an indicator of poor government performance.

Or is it simply seen that reporting high numbers suits the public health message, and they are quite happy with it. But people are going to ask questions, and once they lose all faith in the numbers it will be very difficult to convincingly implement tough measures on the back of them.
  • Options
    It's funny to see the UK get shafted in the WA they agreed to. Many of us said it was just May's deal repackaged but Johnson - as usual - lied and pretended we'd won. The EU always wins.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204

It's funny to see the UK get shafted in the WA they agreed to. Many of us said it was just May's deal repackaged but Johnson - as usual - lied and pretended we'd won. The EU always wins.

Actually, quite a few of us pointed out it was the EU’s original deal repackaged - not May’s deal.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    alex_ said:

Re: Englands "COVID deaths" numbers. Isn't it about time that PHE admitted that they've seriously cocked up with the counting? Our hospitals are half empty and they are claiming that the vast majority of people suffering seriously enough from Covid that it kills them are not going to hospital. I understand the message "protect the NHS" might have been taken onboard, but not to this extent...

Whereas there are other countries with far fewer reported deaths (including population adjusted) which are reporting high levels of ICU occupation and severe shortages of hospital space.

At a guess, the PHE daily death count probably contains quite a lot of those "people who had Covid in March and got run over by a bus in July" type of cases, supplemented by genuine deaths in the home - perhaps because very old people in multi-generational households in the hotspot areas really are choosing not to be carted off to hospital but to stay put and let nature take its course.

But yes, it is also quite true that - regardless of the gradual increase in cases identified by testing, which has now been ongoing for a month - total Covid patients in hospitals (both the ventilator and non-ventilator cases) continue to trickle steadily downwards. At the present rate of decline, the total number of hospital patients with Covid should be down below 1,000 in about another 7-10 days.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Charles said:

Not only did IDS not read the Withdrawal Agreement that he voted for and insisted should be ratified without delay, he also doesn't understand the bits he didn't read:

To be fair the EU shafted is on the EIB. Returning capital at nominal value at the end of the loan cycle was particularly egregious
    Do you mean that Boris shafted us? Considering it’s his amazing, oven-ready deal.
  • Options

I suspect that a lot of the hard Brexiteers thought that it would be a simple matter to disown the Withdrawal agreement and abandon it once it had been passed. So didn't bother reading it that much or bother to try to understand it (except to misrepresent elements of it when attacking it under May). They are now confronting the hard reality that signing up to things actually has consequences under international law and aren't actually that easy to get out of.

And at least had they voted for it under May they could have tried to argue that it was a necessity to deliver Brexit which they didn't agree with. Whereas once it was Johnson's agreement they tried to claim that it was something it wasn't, which actually tied them to it with on the record quotes in Parliament and elsewhere saying how great it was.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Actually, quite a few of us pointed out it was the EU’s original deal repackaged - not May’s deal.
    This site is in general far and away above the average Twitter/Facebook idiot, so this doesn't surprise me.

It is the deal May originally had before the DUP got in the way.

If Johnson can sell EEA, that would be great.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715
    Scott_xP said:
    Wonder how he pronounces (the great state of - they always say that) Arkansas.
    Put it in a list after Kansas to make it more difficult.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Pulpstar said:

How can there be such a disparity between pollsters

There were 17 polls in July. All bar one had the Tories between 41 and 44%, the 46% from YouGov was a high side outlier.
    The Labour share has been between 35 and 39%. I'm going to include the solitary 35% as it's been matched by this poll.

So taking a fag packet aggregate we've got 42.5% for the Tories and 37% for Labour.

44/35 is in line with that, this particular poll is good for the Tories but it's not outside the expected current range.
    Survation is the only pollster currently using UK - as distinct from GB - data.The effect is to knock approx 1% off the Tory and Labour vote shares as compared with other pollsters. In GB terms,therefore, this poll is implying Con 45% Lab 36%.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yep. It would be nice to still be in the customs union by default come January, with no ongoing financial obligations in return. It might even be a card in the hand for the UK to play...
  • Options
    Looks like the Saudi takeover of Newcastle United is not dead yet. Ashley is desperate for the cash to reinvest into Sports Direct, and the deal has not been withdrawn from the Premier League so the O&D test is still ongoing.

It’s starting to look like the “pull out” from PIF was a move to try and force the Premier League into making a decision. Talks are still very much ongoing, at a quicker pace, I hear.
  • Options
    Historically Survation was kinder to Labour. The "I'll wait for Survation" was a favourite of Bastani and co
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057

ydoethur said:

This site is in general far and away above the average Twitter/Facebook idiot, so this doesn't surprise me.

But Johnson thinks that being “just another Norway” would make Brexit “a total waste of time” and apparently said: “I’d rather us stay in than leave like that."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5339046/boris-johnson-warns-allies-that-brexit-is-still-far-from-certain-and-they-face-a-big-fight-to-deliver-it/
  • Options
    I'm just reading now about this thing that happened in Beirut, which is being described in some sources as "like Hiroshima." It isn't a nuclear detonation, but it genuinely looks like one from the pictures that are circulating. Horrific.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited August 2020

Pulpstar said:

There were 17 polls in July. All bar one had the Tories between 41 and 44%, the 46% from YouGov was a high side outlier.
    The Labour share has been between 35 and 39%. I'm going to include the solitary 35% as it's been matched by this poll.

So taking a fag packet aggregate we've got 42.5% for the Tories and 37% for Labour.

44/35 is in line with that, this particular poll is good for the Tories but it's not outside the expected current range.
    I put little store on polls just now and expect at some time they will show parity, or even a labour lead, but with their majority HMG is not going anywhere for 4 years
    Unless the FTPA is repealed we are now less than 3 years and 9 months from the next election due on May 2nd 2024. It would also mean that we are as close to the next GE as to Trump being elected at beginning of November 2016!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

I put little store on polls just now and expect at some time they will show parity, or even a labour lead, but with their majority HMG is not going anywhere for 4 years
    Unless the FTPA is repealed we are now less than 3 years and 9 months from the next election due on May 2nd 2024.
    Remember the FTPA cant just be “repealed”. It must be replaced with something else.
  • Options

I'm just reading now about this thing that happened in Beirut, which is being described in some sources as "like Hiroshima." It isn't a nuclear detonation, but it genuinely looks like one from the pictures that are circulating. Horrific.

The video on the front page of the BBC site is unbelievable until you see it.
  • Options
    The fact Johnson didn't go for No Deal last year suggests to me that he knows it will be a disaster
  • Options
    August 4, 2020 Primaries - Arizona, Kansas, Michigan, Washington State

Scheduled poll closing hours:

Kansas 7.00 pm CDT & MDT = 1.00 pm - 2.00 pm BST
    > bulk of state Central Time zone, but some western rural counties Mountain Time.

Michigan 8.00 pm EDT & CDT = 1.00 pm - 2.00 pm BST
    > most of state Eastern Time zone, but western Upper Peninsula Central Time.

Arizona 7.00 pm MST = 2.00 am BST
    > state does NOT observe daylight savings time in the summer.

Washington 8.00 pm PDT = 4.00 am BST
    > vote-by-mail state, ballots must be returned (in drop box) by 8pm, or postmarked (if returned via mail) by Primary Day.
  • Options

The fact Johnson didn't go for No Deal last year suggests to me that he knows it will be a disaster

Obviously it won’t be easy. I guess the question is: will the pain and disruption be worth it?

I don’t think it will, but hey, could be wrong.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited August 2020

Obviously it won’t be easy. I guess the question is: will the pain and disruption be worth it?

I suspect the Brexiteers have latched on to COVID as their excuse. They can let Brexit be a disaster but say that if it wasn't for that pesky virus it would have all been sunset uplands. Sadly, the morons that voted for it will believe them.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Whereas there are other countries with far fewer reported deaths (including population adjusted) which are reporting high levels of ICU occupation and severe shortages of hospital space.

At a guess, the PHE daily death count probably contains quite a lot of those "people who had Covid in March and got run over by a bus in July" type of cases, supplemented by genuine deaths in the home - perhaps because very old people in multi-generational households in the hotspot areas really are choosing not to be carted off to hospital but to stay put and let nature take its course.

But yes, it is also quite true that - regardless of the gradual increase in cases identified by testing, which has now been ongoing for a month - total Covid patients in hospitals (both the ventilator and non-ventilator cases) continue to trickle steadily downwards. At the present rate of decline, the total number of hospital patients with Covid should be down below 1,000 in about another 7-10 days.
    FWIW, measuring across the week from the Sunday before last to the one just gone, both total hospital Covid cases and ventilator bed patients are down by 11%. Today's NHS England death count - bearing in mind that this is Tuesday so we're now back to weekday reporting levels - is only 6 (although there are an additional 5 cases where Covid is listed as a cause on the death certificate without any positive test result having been obtained.)
  • Options
    If there's no prospect of some sort of palatable deal (even a temporary one which allows them to claim there's no extension to the transition whilst in effect being an extension to the transition) there must be a strong prospect of a harsh lockdown being implement to "combat the second wave". But making it quite likely that the economy will then grow after it's lifted in January...
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,562
    edited August 2020

Scott_xP said:
    Wonder how he pronounces (the great state of - they always say that) Arkansas.
    Put it in a list after Kansas to make it more difficult.
    To increase difficulty, add in the word "Arkansan" (native of Arkansas, emphasis on 1st syb).

(Arkansas pronounced "Arr-kaan-saw"; Arkansan pronounced "Arr-kaan-zen", emphasis on 2nd syb)
  • Options
    rpjs said:

I suspect the Brexiteers have latched on to COVID as their excuse. They can let Brexit be a disaster but say that if it wasn't for that pesky virus it would have been all sunset uplands. Sadly, the morons that voted for it will believe them.
    Insulting the voters has been the continual recourse of those disappointed by the EU referendum result for the whole of the past four-and-a-bit years. They also keep getting pushed back and back and back and losing all the arguments. These two things may be connected.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,598
    edited August 2020
    TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

These figures are not particularly good for the Democrats:

"2020 vs 2016

Top Battlegrounds: Biden+2.1 [2020: Dem+5.5, 2016: Dem+3.4]
    RCP National Average: Biden+0.8 [2020: Dem+7.4, 2016: Dem+6.6]
    Fav Ratings: Trump+4.3 [2020: Dem+11.0, 2016: Dem+15.3]"

https://www.realclearpolitics.com

You mean this is bad for democrats?
    1. Biden improving on Hillary by 2.1% in battlegrounds, when she lost the key ones by a whisker
    2. Biden having a 7.4% national lead (when the consensus is that he only needs 2% lead to win) and
    3. Trump on -11.5% approval

Those figures you post are changes on 2016, not the current state.

PS And as I have posted on here before, this is not an apples to apples comparison. Most pollsters have corrected for the under-representation of non-college-educated white workers that caused the problems with the 2016 results. So the 2020 polls should be friendlier to Trump than the 2016 results, meaning that the shift to Dems is larger than you post.
    The best of those 3 indicators for the Democrats is a 2% shift in their favour compared to 4 years ago, or a 1% swing using the British way of looking at it.
  • Options
    I am increasingly worried about these batsmen.

They are looking far, far too comfortable.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

rpjs said:

I suspect the Brexiteers have latched on to COVID as their excuse. They can let Brexit be a disaster but say that if it wasn't for that pesky virus it would have been all sunset uplands. Sadly, the morons that voted for it will believe them.
    Insulting the voters has been the continual recourse of those disappointed by the EU referendum result for the whole of the past four-and-a-bit years. They also keep getting pushed back and back and back and losing all the arguments. These two things may be connected.
    If it follows demagogues like a moron, and votes to destroy the country's economy like a moron...
  • Options
    I expect lots of Bishop bashing following this tweet.

https://twitter.com/JustinWelby/status/1290701860588969991
  • Options
    rpjs said:

rpjs said:

If it follows demagogues like a moron, and votes to destroy the country's economy like a moron...
    And there goes another General Election.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

If there's no prospect of some sort of palatable deal (even a temporary one which allows them to claim there's no extension to the transition whilst in effect being an extension to the transition) there must be a strong prospect of a harsh lockdown being implement to "combat the second wave". But making it quite likely that the economy will then grow after it's lifted in January...

God only knows. With both this disease and this Government, who can say what's coming next?
  • Options
    What a snowflake Matthew Goodwin is, he's positively woke.

https://twitter.com/jdportes/status/1290626424127344640
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Unlikely. The unemployment rate would end up even more horrific than it already is.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Does it? It shows that non-homeowners in expensive areas were more likely to have voted leave. Unless I'm misinterpreting the quotation.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    The far left continues to do its best to downplay crimes against the Jewish people. Grace Blakeley is still treated as a serious commenter by the BBC.

https://www.twitter.com/LoicTheStoic/status/1290484900643000320
  • Options

Charles said:

Do you mean that Boris shafted us? Considering it’s his amazing, oven-ready deal.
    I doubt he cared about that piece

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991

Duffield was one of only a handful of Labour MPs to win a seat from the Tories in 2017 and hold it in 2019, she is electable unlike Corbynites, the Archbishop is right
  • Options
    James Vince you muppet.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Does it? It shows that non-homeowners in expensive areas were more likely to have voted leave. Unless I'm misinterpreting the quotation.
    You’ve misread it. See the entire twitter exchange.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It had a consent agreement and kept NI benefitting from UK trade deals, so not the same.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    RobD said:

UK poll parity soon, what do we think?

Does saying something a thousand times make it more likely to happen?
    I certainly hope so, it's my entire strategy.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
    RobD said:

Compared to homeowners yes, but the more expensive the area the less likely both homeowners and non-homeowners were likely to vote leave.
  • Options

What has she said?
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

ydoethur said:

It had a consent agreement and kept NI benefitting from UK trade deals, so not the same.
    Which particular trade deals?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

A deal which is basically EEA minus free movement would be fine with most voters, EEA also allows us to do our own trade deals and regain control of our fishing waters
  • Options

Another Old Etonian. They're everywhere, I tell you.
  • Options

Possibly. Certainly whatever the merits or not of the deal he did get for the transition, and whether or not it is a repacked May deal, that he got one at the least demonstrated that he was not, as I for one had thought at the time, gung ho for No Deal as a matter of principal. Therefore the idea he definitely wants no deal post transition as many postulate I don't think can be assumed based on his actions last year.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

alex_ said:

FWIW, measuring across the week from the Sunday before last to the one just gone, both total hospital Covid cases and ventilator bed patients are down by 11%. Today's NHS England death count - bearing in mind that this is Tuesday so we're now back to weekday reporting levels - is only 6 (although there are an additional 5 cases where Covid is listed as a cause on the death certificate without any positive test result having been obtained.)
    I do wonder why *anyone* is dying in the community. If you're ill enough to die, you're ill enough to be in hospital. And there's plenty of capacity. Apparently 88 deaths in England today and only 6-11 in hospital. That doesn't really pass the smell test.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

ydoethur said:

The first was always implicit, as Northern Ireland could have ended it at any time by withdrawing from the Good Friday Agreement. The second is (1) not true, as we will be in separate customs territories and (2) not relevant as we don’t have any and will not be getting any any time soon.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

What has she said?
    I believe that it's the latest episode in the God-awful trans rights culture war. Summary:

Woman: "women have vaginas"
    Trans lobby to woman: "you are Hitler"

Etc etc, repeat until dead.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Gabs3 said:

ydoethur said:

Any trade deal. Under the agreement NI is kept technically in the UK customs union, just the checks are on the Irish Sea. Therefore NI busineses will be able to claim back any tariff difference between the EU-country X deal and UK-country X deal.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Possibly. Certainly whatever the merits or not of the deal he did get for the transition, and whether or not it is a repacked May deal, that he got one at the least demonstrated that he was not, as I for one had thought at the time, gung ho for No Deal as a matter of principal. Therefore the idea he definitely wants no deal post transition as many postulate I don't think can be assumed based on his actions last year.
    Possibly. Don't forget though that he was confined by the old Parliament when he got his revised deal. He needed to get something he could try and get through Parliament - and if not through Parliament then to take to the electorate.

Coming back with nothing, or going to the electorate with nothing, would have been riskier.

That is no longer an issue now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    It'll be both, of course, but I think it heartening that people are not planning to divest themselves of personal responsibility (inasmuch as including themselves implicitly within the public).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

What has she said?
    I paraphrase.

Women have vaginas.

If you don’t have a vagina then you’re not a woman.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

A deal which is basically EEA minus free movement would be fine with most voters, EEA also allows us to do our own trade deals and regain control of our fishing waters
    We could replace free movement with a points-based system whereby citizens of the EEA automatically get 100 points.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Zzzzz
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

alex_ said:

Gabs3 said:

ydoethur said:

Any trade deal. Under the agreement NI is kept technically in the UK customs union, just the checks are on the Irish Sea. Therefore NI busineses will be able to claim back any tariff difference between the EU-country X deal and UK-country X deal.
    That’s entirely different from ‘benefitting’ from any trade deals. Even if they are able to claim them back, which in practice we know they won’t be.

Johnson lied. This is a poor deal on the EU’s terms. May’s wasn’t. But unfortunately too many people believed him.
  • Options

Interesting choice of words, presumably deliberate, that she does not 'seek' to demean others. What is she supposed to have done?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    edited August 2020

ydoethur said:

What has she said?
    I paraphrase.

Women have vaginas.

If you don’t have a vagina then you’re not a woman.
    I believe my ex-brother now has a vagina (although I admit I didn't actually ask her exactly what her last operation entailed). Is she now a woman?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

What has she said?
    I believe that it's the latest episode in the God-awful trans rights culture war. Summary:

Woman: "women have vaginas"
    Trans lobby to woman: "you are Hitler"

Etc etc, repeat until dead.
    Typical.

One of the more fascinating studies that still needs to be written is the Fascistic tendencies of the left in the 1980s, and how Corbynism has warped and developed it into something deeply sinister.

John o’Farell’s memoirs acknowledge it in one line, but few people seem anxious to run with the idea.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Having voted Remain in 2016 is now a greater indication of being posh and well off than voting Tory in 2019, if you voted Tory in 2015, Remain in 2016 and LD in 2019 you are poshest of all.

See seats like St Albans and Richmond Park which are extremely expensive and went from Tory to LD last year
  • Options

kle4 said:

Possibly. Don't forget though that he was confined by the old Parliament when he got his revised deal. He needed to get something he could try and get through Parliament - and if not through Parliament then to take to the electorate.

Coming back with nothing, or going to the electorate with nothing, would have been riskier.

That is no longer an issue now.
    Fair point, but though riskier getting nothing and going for broke in an election was an option, in fact an option the opposition seemed to have prepared for and were thrown into uncertainty when it turned out not to be his plan. I think it was very useful for him because it immediately blunted the acccusation all he wanted was no deal, and allegations he wanted no deal at the end of transition were much harder to make stick.

But I think the risk of no deal is probably higher now, for the reason you suggest that there is less impetus to try as hard to get one.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    What’s the difference between Boris Johnson and a clown?

One is somebody who gets dressed up in silly costumes and daft hairstyles before making everyone laugh at their confusion and incompetence.

The other is a circus performer.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    It is a worry that they are still making the 'guidance not legislation' error 4-5 months into this. Obviously there is a place for guidance, a lot of it in fact, but right at the start there was confusion over what was law and what wasn't, and they really shouldn't be getting that mixed up.
  • Options

alex_ said:

I do wonder why *anyone* is dying in the community. If you're ill enough to die, you're ill enough to be in hospital. And there's plenty of capacity. Apparently 88 deaths in England today and only 6-11 in hospital. That doesn't really pass the smell test.
    I assume that some patients are too frightened to go into hospital, or are frail anyway and would rather stay home than face the likelihood of dying in hospital, or don't realise exactly how ill they are and die before anyone rings 999. There will also be a (currently unquantified) proportion of these cases which, as I mentioned earlier, are of the "had Covid months ago, died of something completely different, registered as Covid deaths because PHE are complete rubbish" variety. But yes, given that the hospital numbers are a tiny fraction of what they were at peak and are in continuous decline, the daily death numbers look very strange.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    edited August 2020

alex_ said:

Sigh - 88 deaths *reported* today.

That means filling in the reporting hole on the weekend. Using PHE's methodology, deaths are probably below 40 per day now.

• Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Matthew Goodwin is a bit shit, why is he held up as some kind of intellectual God
  • Options
    I'm a leftie and an active user of Twitter but the hate for Duffield I'm afraid has passed me by. Is it just more cries of the leftie dying mob
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited August 2020
    HYUFD said:
    Which is literally the opposite of what Goodwin wrote in the original criticised article.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,598
    HYUFD said:
    Good to see the public correctly blaming themselves if they don't follow the rules.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,519
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    It is a worry that they are still making the 'guidance not legislation' error 4-5 months into this. Obviously there is a place for guidance, a lot of it in fact, but right at the start there was confusion over what was law and what wasn't, and they really shouldn't be getting that mixed up.
    I don't think there much confusion at all at the start. It was there to read for anyone who wanted to make the effort.

There was confusion when media morons started rabbiting on about "rules", which was an invented undefined category.

I agree it is somewhat more foggy now, though.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,519
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:

What has she said?
    She replied to a reference to "Individuals with a cervix" with "Do you mean women?"

Which is fine. I'm thinking that people using the term "transphobe" should get a "troll" classification in most cases.

Though it is ironic as it is exactly the same demonisation technique feminists have been using for decades, when anyone who dares to disagree with them is instantly branded a "rape apologist" or a "misogynist".

What comes around, goes around.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

It might actually be a firecracker warehouse

LOL seriously Max? What else might fizz and crackle like that (and I don't mean a Suzuki FS1E).

Where is @Dura_Ace when we need him.

Hold on.....

WHERE IS @DURA_ACE!!!?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe @Yokes knows something...
    J'y suis. J'y reste.

Know that I am here, I have no particular insight to add other than it the explosion on its own is too big for an air strike. It could be a shipment of weapons for Hezb that have been blow up by accident or "accident".
This discussion has been closed.