Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Pandemic: Millions of people in the north affected by new

Comments

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

So now on a Friday afternoon the government blows planned wedding receptions for tomorrow out of the water. How much more s**t and clueless can they behave?

They even released guidance this very morning that wedding were allowed in the north west!
    Weddings are allowed.
    This morning the govt published new guidance stating weddings of up to 30 were specifically fine in the NW despite the high rates. By half twelve they are not allowed in the rest of the country with lower rates.

And many people will have booked an August 2020 wedding before the virus even existed.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Jonathan said:

Is the government still paying us to eat out?

There's no virus where I live and in the vast, vast majority of the country. There are about 7-9 problem areas where the R is well above 1.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,145

Where are those PBers who said the virus would burn out and disappear?

I didn't say it would burn out, but I did think the Oxford model might be right and we have some natural immunity/dark matter. Still think it is early days on that front.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    Actually hands, face, space is a good slogan
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346

Where are those PBers who said the virus would burn out and disappear?

I didn't say it would burn out, but I did think the Oxford model might be right and we have some natural immunity/dark matter. Still think it is early days on that front.
    The hospital admission evidence is that it might be weakening
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1289149537542701056

None is the answer I strongly suspect.

Panic. Blind panic.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,959
    edited July 2020

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

So now on a Friday afternoon the government blows planned wedding receptions for tomorrow out of the water. How much more s**t and clueless can they behave?

They even released guidance this very morning that wedding were allowed in the north west!
    Weddings are allowed.
    This morning the govt published new guidance stating weddings of up to 30 were specifically fine in the NW despite the high rates. By half twelve they are not allowed in the rest of the country with lower rates.

And many people will have booked an August 2020 wedding before the virus even existed.
    Yeah, weddings are allowed. It's the planned relaxation of rules relating to receptions that is being stopped.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Got to be honest lads, I've not played a blinder on the veepstakes. I don't hate my book, but it's certainly not as good as my Lab/LD/Con leaderships ones, or the primaries/general winners.

• Options

Scott_xP said:
    This starting to border on madness. Get the schools open like Sweden.
    In August?
    No, September, but already sounds like noises being made that that may not happen.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,621
    edited July 2020
    MaxPB said:

This idea the the government should be negotiating things with self-appointed community leaders is absolutely for the birds.

As an Asian person if some trumped up "community leader" tried to tell me how to live my life I'd tell them to get fucked. Government advice is what matters, not what any idiot community leader thinks. It's frankly patronising to assume that "community leaders" actually speak for anyone other than themselves, the government is best to act as if they don't exist and speaking directly to the community, not via some idiot pushing whatever agenda they have.

I dont think theres an issue in communicating to community groups, every little helps, but as you say it seems awfully patronising to try to develop things so closely with 'community leaders' (as a white man do I have a community leader? Cllrs are supposed to be that) as if they are much more influential than they probably are .

Notification, yes. But more than that? Probably unnecessary.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Pulpstar said:

That thing about weddings being allowed so long as they're "covid secure" with up to 30 people looks bonkers to me inside a hotspot area.

Well looks like that's all changed in the last few hours.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Panic. Blind panic.

The Prime Minister literally just started his press conference quoting the infection numbers that led to this decision.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,215
    edited July 2020

Panic. Blind panic.

I have been told that the following are similar to the heat maps used by PHE

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Chris Whitty is man with enormous power over our lives, unscrutised, unaccountable and it seems, not replaceable. I'm not even sure how qualified he is to make these decisions given he is a medic and not and epidemiologist. He even hinted today he wants to constrain the people pf Britain further

This cannot be right. It cannot.

This isn;t medicine. It is tyranny.
  • Options
    I’m so frustrated that my Government seems to finally to be intent on taking some unpopular but hopefully timely measures in the interest of public health - but blew all its political/social capital to do so on #saveDom.

As I said at the time it was never about making the Government look weak - it was about ensuring it could remain strong and credible.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    In August?
    No, September, but already sounds like noises being made that that may not happen.
    If the choice is bowling alleys and cinemas, or schools, then I choose schools!
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,380

This interesting:

A new test powered by artificial intelligence (AI) could be capable of identifying coronavirus within one hour, according to new research.
    Its developers say it can rapidly screen people arriving at hospitals for Covid-19 and accurately predict whether or not they have the disease, the Press Association reports.
    The Curial AI test has been developed by a team at the University of Oxford and assesses data typically gathered from patients within the first hour of arriving in an emergency department - such as blood tests and vital signs - to determine the chance of a patient testing positive for Covid-19.
    Testing for the virus currently involves the molecular analysis of a nose and throat swab, with results having a typical turnaround time of between 12 and 48 hours.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jul/31/coronavirus-live-news-england-tightens-restrictions-who-says-young-people-behind-some-spikes

(at 12:15)

It is, but I wish they'd report more than just 'accuracy'. At current infection rates I could easily produce an algorithm with (likely) 90% or greater accuracy:

print("Prediction: Patient does not have COVID-19")

I'm sure theirs is actually quite good, but to judge that you need sensitivity and specificity (or similar).

I used to work in a related area (predicting in hospital adverse events such as death, ICU admission, cardiac arrest) and it's scary how predictive simple vital signs could be. Add in some blood tests results and it was like seeing the future, even with something simple like logistic regression.
  • Options

Chris Whitty is man with enormous power over our lives, unscrutised, unaccountable and it seems, not replaceable. I'm not even sure how qualified he is to make these decisions given he is a medic and not and epidemiologist. He even hinted today he wants to constrain the people pf Britain further

For starters didn't he recently appear before a select committee of Parliament?
  • Options

Yes just like living under Kim Jong Un.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

This idea the the government should be negotiating things with self-appointed community leaders is absolutely for the birds.

As an Asian person if some trumped up "community leader" tried to tell me how to live my life I'd tell them to get fucked. Government advice is what matters, not what any idiot community leader thinks. It's frankly patronising to assume that "community leaders" actually speak for anyone other than themselves, the government is best to act as if they don't exist and speaking directly to the community, not via some idiot pushing whatever agenda they have.

I dont think theres an issue in communicating to community groups, every little helps, but as you say it seems awfully patronising to try to develop things so closely with 'community leaders' (as a white man do I have a community leader? Cllrs are supposed to be that) as if they are much more influential than they probably are .

Notification, yes. But more than that? Probably unnecessary.
    Could get the Boyos out in NI - anyone gets within a sledgehammer handle length of anyone else, gets their kneecaps smashed.

Community policing at its finest....
  • Options

If, hypothetically, you were a government minister who has made a decision late in the evening which you wanted to disseminate to the public extremely fast, could you think of a better way of doing it than using Twitter, which every journalist in the country would soon pick up, either directly or through re-tweets, and report?

Oh for Heavens sake...

If the govt PR team phoned up the Beeb and Sky and said "We are sending over a minister / spokesperson to make a major announcement" do you think the response would be "Sorry No.10 but we are all in bed having our cocoa"?

It would be on screen and live about 10 seconds after No.10 put the phone down. "We interrupt this programme...."
    It was on screen and live immediately. Of course not everyone watches the TV nowadays.

What on earth is the problem? I know lots of people hate this government - I'm not exactly a fan myself - but laying into them for using modern means of rapid communication to get an urgent announcement out is one of the most bizarre criticisms I've ever heard.
    If that was all they did that's be something. If the criticism is of too short notice thats worth assessing as well (and certainly that's part of it). But when it strays into the methodology I think things are on shakier ground, particularly as the principal complaint.
  • Options

Panic. Blind panic.

No, I've seen the data that the government is using and how they map out the local viral growth rates. To some degree this is an overreaction to save face for Asian people, but really it is necessary. There is real data backing the new lockdown decisions. @Malmesbury posts the per 100k positive test rates everyday, it's quite similar to what the government uses to make decisions and we're all quite lucky on PB to have that level of insight.
  • Options

Adam Parsons, Sky Europe correspondence, has just said a cluster of EU countries with big increases in cases of covid are worrying many in Europe, with cracks showing in EU unity, and the EU are worrying that a full national lockdown across some EU countries, even across the whole of the EU may come about

Lucky we have no problems of our own to concern us.
    The evidence covid is increasing both here and across Europe is very worrying for everyone
    Not entirely unexpected of course, but we're all panicking as much as the first time.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2020

Chris Whitty is a very distinguished epidemiologist.

His Gresham College lectures on the subject are excellent:

https://www.gresham.ac.uk/series/infectious-diseases/
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

There's no virus where I live and in the vast, vast majority of the country. There are about 7-9 problem areas where the R is well above 1.
    There is virus everywhere the difference is that is yet to be discovered apart about to be imported from elsewhere. We went for 10 weeks in our town in Spain with no cases then four pop up out of the blue!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    kle4 said:

Adam Parsons, Sky Europe correspondence, has just said a cluster of EU countries with big increases in cases of covid are worrying many in Europe, with cracks showing in EU unity, and the EU are worrying that a full national lockdown across some EU countries, even across the whole of the EU may come about

The evidence covid is increasing both here and across Europe is very worrying for everyone
    Not entirely unexpected of course, but we're all panicking as much as the first time.
    i am not panicking but am concerned

I believe Boris has contacted Starmer and Starmer is on board with the changes

Good to see unity
  • Options

'Cracks in EU unity' is a slow news day headline. Not that there are never cracks, frankly its be worrying if there wasnt, but it's something EU officials pull out at every event to emphasise importance of working together. It was never just Brexiteers who overdid talk of EU disunity.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

There is virus everywhere the difference is that is yet to be discovered apart about to be imported from elsewhere. We went for 10 weeks in our town in Spain with no cases then four pop up out of the blue!
    I would say that the virus has been suppressed to a very low level. This means that transmission can become invisible - asymptomatic. This has been seen around the world.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

No, there's a lot of testing in the UK. If there was a huge number of unknown cases then it would have shown up already.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Who planned their wedding reception on the first day after the planned (not confirmed) date of allowing them again?
    At a guess, people with already planned weddings for 1 August who were told by the government a few weeks back that they could hold a reception as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MaxPB said:

nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

No, there's a lot of testing in the UK. If there was a huge number of unknown cases then it would have shown up already.
    But are they mass testing in Devon? Genuine question.

There seem to be quite a lot of occasional 1s in most of the country, in my charts..
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

I’m so frustrated that my Government seems to finally to be intent on taking some unpopular but hopefully timely measures in the interest of public health - but blew all its political/social capital to do so on #saveDom.

As I said at the time it was never about making the Government look weak - it was about ensuring it could remain strong and credible.

Yep. It is not PC to say that Johnson's craven mishandling of that episode cost and will continue to cost many lives and livelihoods - and of course one cannot quantify the impact - but it almost certainly did.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes, the whole concept of 'community leaders' is patronising, verging on racist. No-one talks about 'community leaders' in respect of the white population of, say, Winchester.
    Don't they?

Is the Archbishop of Canterbury not a community leader?
    I've never heard him referred to that way. I'd be fascinated by analysis of use of the term.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287

Yes, it is a worry. We've put men who hitherto, by the very nature of their professions, were somewhat obscure, introverted, socially awkward and monomaniacal into positions of immense and unchallenged power. We can all see the psychological dangers of such a collision. Not a healthy mix.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Does anyone else watch these conferences and just fast-forward Boris to hear from Whitty?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It's a rapidly evolving situation. The overall situation shows the country has done badly and the government will carry the can on that, but I find it difficult to condemn things as clueless or shambolic simply because they are sometimes urgent and short notice. In itself that's not proof of cluelessness - you have a plan, then you react as into changes.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,227

Scott_xP said:
    In August?
    If the choice is bowling alleys and cinemas, or schools, then I choose schools!
    Of course the schools should open. There seems to have been very little spreading happening at schools. More harm will be done to children not going to school. If it's really "schools or pubs" then only an idiot could describe that as a dilemma.
  • Options
    Has the Gov't started thinking about christmas ? Or more soon the schools reopening ?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If Mr Whittaker has evidence for that then he should provide it, if he hasn't then he should lose the whip. What a disgraceful thing to say.

He's right. I've been looking at the data, it's very, very obvious that Asians are not taking the virus seriously at all. I've seen it first hand with invites to large family gatherings, 30-40 people in someone's front room all talking over each other. The NW London area has had worse infection rates than N or W London and Northwick park hospital was a disaster zone for a very long time. Asians have had a poor virus period.

I think it's also because in South Asian culture there's no such thing as personal space. It's not as bad in the UK but it's still not great.
    Plus the ones in Yorkshire surely have grandparents coming out with “when I were a lad back in Pakistan.....” tales of horror.
  • Options

Yes, it is a worry. We've put men who hitherto, by the very nature of their professions, were somewhat obscure, introverted, socially awkward and monomaniacal into positions of immense and unchallenged power. We can all see the psychological dangers of such a collision. Not a healthy mix.
    I'm increasingly worried where this is all heading as we seem to be going towards the position that the NHS must be protected from dealing with more than a handful of cases at all costs including finally destroying our economy, sending 1000s to an early death because the NHS is shut for anything else and removing ancient rights of liberty.

Maybe the heat is getting to me and I am over reacting, but this is getting worrying.
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    isam said:
    Difficult to reduce the complex question of ethnicity to a simple matter of skin colour. However, I wouldn't have chosen that third picture - and probably not the second either - if I was trying to contradict Whittaker's contention about the BAME community.
  • Options
    isam said:
    There may well be plenty of social distancing going on on the beach shot (Less so the other two) - the 'length' of that photo is around a mile iirc.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Quick, get an economist to talk to Johnson. He'll soon be back on track.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,333
    Persistent fatigue following SARS-CoV-2 infection is common and independent of severity of initial infection
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.29.20164293v1
    Fatigue is a common symptom in those presenting with symptomatic COVID-19 infection. However, it is unknown if COVID-19 results in persistent fatigue in those recovered from acute infection. We examined the prevalence of fatigue in individuals recovered from the acute phase of COVID-19 illness using the Chalder Fatigue Score (CFQ-11). We further examined potential predictors of fatigue following COVID-19 infection, evaluating indicators of COVID-19 severity, markers of peripheral immune activation and circulating pro-inflammatory cytokines. Of 128 participants (49.5 ± 15 years; 54% female), more than half reported persistent fatigue (52.3%; 45/128) at 10 weeks (median) after initial COVID-19 symptoms. There was no association between COVID-19 severity (need for inpatient admission, supplemental oxygen or critical care) and fatigue following COVID-19. Additionally, there was no association between routine laboratory markers of inflammation and cell turnover (leukocyte, neutrophil or lymphocyte counts, neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio, lactate dehydrogenase, C-reactive protein) or pro-inflammatory molecules (IL-6 or sCD25) and fatigue post COVID-19. Female gender and those with a pre-existing diagnosis of depression/anxiety were over-represented in those with fatigue. Our findings demonstrate a significant burden of post-viral fatigue in individuals with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection after the acute phase of COVID-19 illness. This study highlights the importance of assessing those recovering from COVID-19 for symptoms of severe fatigue, irrespective of severity of initial illness, and may identify a group worthy of further study and early intervention.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes, the whole concept of 'community leaders' is patronising, verging on racist. No-one talks about 'community leaders' in respect of the white population of, say, Winchester.
    So, if they were cancelling Xmas instead of Eid, you would think it wrong if the Bishop of Winchester was asked to help soften the blow?
    Is he in charge of eating, drinking, shopping and television?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Who planned their wedding reception on the first day after the planned (not confirmed) date of allowing them again?
    At a guess, people with already planned weddings for 1 August who were told by the government a few weeks back that they could hold a reception as well.
    But why would they have planned it on the first day that restrictions were only planned to be relaxed, not confirmed? It's the same story as people jetting off to Spain.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

You're hysterical. Its certainly right that whether these and other measures are the right course should be vigorously debated, but Whitty is answerable to government who are answerable to parliament. That you may think neither are doing a good job doesnt make Whitty a tyrant.

He cannot do anything if the government doesnt act on what he says, so your 'this cannot be right' stuff is totally right - as it's not what is happening.

The questions about his suitability, whether his advice is the right course? Totally fine. Whinging that hes unaccountable and this is tyranny? Nonsense
  • Options

kle4 said:

Good to see unity
    Is it? Who is going to question the wisdom of the current strategy?
  • Options

The man thinks he is a genius by saying hands, face, face quickly!

"man woman person camera TV" - that's the one that sorts out the men from the boys
  • Options

Hands, face, space
    I need a hearing test! Makes a bit more sense, the pride he showed in being able to say it was quite bizarre.
    Person, woman, man, camera, TV
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Hands, face, space
    I need a hearing test! Makes a bit more sense, the pride he showed in being able to say it was quite bizarre.
    Person, woman, man, camera, TV
    beat you in a photo - :smile:
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,273
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

But why would they have planned it on the first day that restrictions were only planned to be relaxed, not confirmed? It's the same story as people jetting off to Spain.
    My friend’s wedding is next Saturday.

Been the date since 2018, she was told if the government allowed weddings on that date then she couldn’t cancel it and get her money back.

I guess people whose weddings were tomorrow were in a similar boat.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Germany seems to have more than its fair share of nutters:

Under the umbrella title ‘End of the pandemic – the Day of Freedom’ diverse groups from the extreme left and right, including anti-vaxers, Holocaust deniers, and conspiracy theorists who believe the virus has been imposed by an elite in order to gain power, are due to hold dozens of individual protests across the German capital.
    Among the demonstrators, one group has suggested ‘storming the Reichstag’, the German parliament building. Others have rejected the idea, arguing it could bring the entire demonstration into disrepute. Over 1500 police are expected to be on duty, with around 22,000 protesters due to take part from across Germany, according to Berlin’s interior ministry.
    [The demonstrations are] drawing in a range of interest groups, including followers of the elusive US group QAnon - an online conspiracy theory cult focused on the idea of a “deep state” dominance, one of whose heroes is US president Donald Trump, or the alliance ‘Querdenken’ (‘lateral thinking’) whose followers sport tin foil pendants and are against a coronavirus vaccine.

They sound like those bizarre groups roaming around Europe during the Black Death.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Good to see unity
    I was referring to the public as a whole. I think we are collectively in a state of panic and hysteria and dont see that changing.
  • Options

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

My friend’s wedding is next Saturday.

Been the date since 2018, she was told if the government allowed weddings on that date then she couldn’t cancel it and get her money back.

I guess people whose weddings were tomorrow were in a similar boat.
    That's a fair point about it not being refunded. At least the wedding can go ahead, and the reception can be refunded (since those are legally prohibited)?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:
    There may well be plenty of social distancing going on on the beach shot (Less so the other two) - the 'length' of that photo is around a mile iirc.
    Yup - long lensing.
  • Options

Under the umbrella title ‘End of the pandemic – the Day of Freedom’ diverse groups from the extreme left and right, including anti-vaxers, Holocaust deniers, and conspiracy theorists who believe the virus has been imposed by an elite in order to gain power, are due to hold dozens of individual protests across the German capital.
    Among the demonstrators, one group has suggested ‘storming the Reichstag’, the German parliament building. Others have rejected the idea, arguing it could bring the entire demonstration into disrepute. Over 1500 police are expected to be on duty, with around 22,000 protesters due to take part from across Germany, according to Berlin’s interior ministry.
    [The demonstrations are] drawing in a range of interest groups, including followers of the elusive US group QAnon - an online conspiracy theory cult focused on the idea of a “deep state” dominance, one of whose heroes is US president Donald Trump, or the alliance ‘Querdenken’ (‘lateral thinking’) whose followers sport tin foil pendants and are against a coronavirus vaccine.

They sound like those bizarre groups roaming around Europe during the Black Death.

Dont you love it when the far left and far right agree on things? Ome day they'll realise how much they have in common.
  • Options
    Just had a thought - is it too much to hope that we won't have to see the family over Christmas?
  • Options

Panic. Blind panic.

The Prime Minister literally just started his press conference quoting the infection numbers that led to this decision.
    As Foxy was saying earlier, there isn’t much sign (in Leicester at least) of a surge going on hospitalisation statitistics.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Cherry has abandoned her attempt to be selected for Edinburgh Central
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

I'm increasingly worried where this is all heading as we seem to be going towards the position that the NHS must be protected from dealing with more than a handful of cases at all costs including finally destroying our economy, sending 1000s to an early death because the NHS is shut for anything else and removing ancient rights of liberty.

Maybe the heat is getting to me and I am over reacting, but this is getting worrying.
    At last somebody else gets it. This precisely where we are heading. And with the full compliance of the government and MPs.

Why? because governing is so much easier this way than the proper way, the democratic way. and our leaders have got a taste for it.

I;ve never before welcomed an economic collapse, but I think to be honest it is the only thing that can save us from this awful , awful state of affairs in the short term because people will wake up to the truth.

I guess at some juncture we will have an election but to be honest I am not even sure about that.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    IanB2 said:

Panic. Blind panic.

As Foxy was saying earlier, there isn’t much sign (in Leicester at least) of a surge going on hospitalisation statitistics.
    Indeed but hospitalisation statistics are a lagging indicator. Deaths are even more lagging.

The pattern seems to be that without action the virus spreads in increasing numbers within the healthy young, who pass it on to the more vulnerable, some of whon go to hospital, some of whom die. Rapid testing is being done that has caught the first step and the attempt is to break the chain of transmission before it reaches the last step.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Panic. Blind panic.

The evidence from earlier in this epidemic, is that by the time the hospitalisations start to rise, it's already too late.
  • Options

This interesting:

A new test powered by artificial intelligence (AI) could be capable of identifying coronavirus within one hour, according to new research.
    Its developers say it can rapidly screen people arriving at hospitals for Covid-19 and accurately predict whether or not they have the disease, the Press Association reports.
    The Curial AI test has been developed by a team at the University of Oxford and assesses data typically gathered from patients within the first hour of arriving in an emergency department - such as blood tests and vital signs - to determine the chance of a patient testing positive for Covid-19.
    Testing for the virus currently involves the molecular analysis of a nose and throat swab, with results having a typical turnaround time of between 12 and 48 hours.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jul/31/coronavirus-live-news-england-tightens-restrictions-who-says-young-people-behind-some-spikes

(at 12:15)

There are already a number of RT-LAMP* test kits in development, which are rapid, cheap, and increasingly accurate.

*Reverse Transcription Loop-mediated Isothermal Amplification
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Transcription_Loop-mediated_Isothermal_Amplification
  • Options
    I feel compelled to offer this 27-minute podcast all about the firmness and colour of dog poo. Not for the faint-hearted. But it makes interesting background listening while you catch up on the latest PB comments:

https://www.bellaandduke.com/podcast/is-your-dogs-stool-healthy-secrets-revealed-podcast-82/?utm_campaign=397617_To customers Podcast 82 - Is Your Dogs Poo Healthy? We Reveal All&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Bella & Duke Limited&dm_i=5BSK,8ISX,2M6J80,XQRL,1
  • Options

kle4 said:

Good to see unity
    Is it? Who is going to question the wisdom of the current strategy?
    Many will. Backbenchers, media figures, public figures. Nature abhors a vacuum and if an opposition leader does not oppose (for what they presumably think is a good reason) someone fills in. That wont be as notable, but if the opposition dont oppose it's usually a good sign (not always yes).
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    kinabalu said:

"man woman person camera TV" - that's the one that sorts out the men from the boys
    Except that's the wrong order...

You're apparently not as smart as Donald Trump :(
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:
    While it was wrong for Whittaker to say that in my view, the images that keep getting posted such as the beach and the VE Day conga did not lead to a rise of infections, while it's clear that household gatherings are doing so.
  • Options
    Yes sadly the redundancies will accelerate quite sharply now. People are about to find out what universal credit means.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Rare intervention in politics from a charlatan:

https://twitter.com/Tim_Burgess/status/1288962912833417217
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

kinabalu said:

Except that's the wrong order...

You're apparently not as smart as Donald Trump :(
    Ouch. Line crossed!
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

To whom should politicians listen during a pandemic if not to epidemiologists? You're obviously a fan of the US Republicans - and I can also find something to admire in their general ruthlessness - but they're following the exact strategy you recommend and it's leading them to electoral oblivion. Is the doctrinal purity of refusing to take measures to control the pandemic worth losing America to the left? Because that's what those idiots are currently on course to achieve.
  • Options

Just had a thought - is it too much to hope that we won't have to see the family over Christmas?

That is the great prize. The carrot helping so many people through this harrowing year. However Sod's law - which is as iron as any of Newton's offerings - says that holidays in Cornwall in Aug/Sep will have to be cancelled but things will be relaxed again just in time for Christmas.
  • Options

The Prime Minister and the Government are in charge. If you don't like them taking (or not taking) those recommendations the buck stops with them.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    IanB2 said:

I feel compelled to offer this 27-minute podcast all about the firmness and colour of dog poo. Not for the faint-hearted. But it makes interesting background listening while you catch up on the latest PB comments:

https://www.bellaandduke.com/podcast/is-your-dogs-stool-healthy-secrets-revealed-podcast-82/?utm_campaign=397617_To customers Podcast 82 - Is Your Dogs Poo Healthy? We Reveal All&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Bella & Duke Limited&dm_i=5BSK,8ISX,2M6J80,XQRL,1

Before I plunge in, does it resolve the mystery of the disappearance of white dog poop?
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416
    edited July 2020
    Sorry but the measures today are farcical. You just cannot impose measures like this at short notice - businesses and people have a right to plan ahead and everybody will now start to give up. Cinemas will surely lock up for good after this announcement. Its not as if the government (or any other) can control this virus in a King Canute way that they seem to pretend they can (because it makes them and the scientists seem jolly important and in control). Herd immunity is the only way out of this and the NHS needs to step up and not rest on its hero worship devotees opinion of it .It should surely be able to handle a few cases of this and still function to save life normally
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,936
    I am supposed to be going to a wedding in Hampshire tomorrow, with a small garden wedding reception.

Talk about short notice!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954

diverse groups from the extreme left and right, including anti-vaxers, Holocaust deniers, and conspiracy theorists who believe the virus has been imposed by an elite in order to gain power

On that description, I don't think PB should be casting the first stone.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I am supposed to be going to a wedding in Hampshire tomorrow, with a small garden wedding reception.

Talk about short notice!

Off message there!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    I know this is from zerohedge, but Trump is going to be so jealous

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1289162731308961792
  • Options
    Comparison of Face-Touching Behaviors Before and During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pandemic
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2768767

Evidence is pretty clear, in Asia at least, that face touching was reduced at the same time as mask wearing increased.
    More evidence required from Europe for definite conclusions.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sadly you’ve done so yourself with that completely wrong ordering!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Sadly you’ve done so yourself with that completely wrong ordering!
    He doesn't get the bonus points!
  • Options

Certainly the medical people I've been involved with since lockdown have included several almost angry at the idea a non Covid issue should come up, I'd not be surprised if the protect the nhs policy was a bit too effective.

Life has to go on even during pandemics, we cannot constantly be stopping things for fear of capacity issues.

And to read as recommended earlier in lockdown, The Naked Sun, about a world with no physical contact.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Pulpstar said:

Has the Gov't started thinking about christmas ? Or more soon the schools reopening ?

Will there be an exception in the regulations for Santa Claus or will he have to leave presents outside for everyone except those in his bubble?
  • Options

To whom should politicians listen during a pandemic if not to epidemiologists? You're obviously a fan of the US Republicans - and I can also find something to admire in their general ruthlessness - but they're following the exact strategy you recommend and it's leading them to electoral oblivion. Is the doctrinal purity of refusing to take measures to control the pandemic worth losing America to the left? Because that's what those idiots are currently on course to achieve.
    The Radical "Do Nothing" Democrats are hardly anything to frighten the horses.

How can they be if they will be doing nothing?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    eek said:

What he needs is a national security law in Republican states cancelling the election and decreeing that their electoral college votes must be assigned to the incumbent.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Talk about short notice!

There you go. The answer to who might plan a reception on 1 August is HY FUD. Or at least, his friends or relatives.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Will there be an exception in the regulations for Santa Claus or will he have to leave presents outside for everyone except those in his bubble?
    Just remember to leave the hand sanitiser bottle out next to the mince pie and sherry.
  • Options

Sorry but the measures today are farcical. You just cannot impose measures like this at short notice - businesses and people have a right to plan ahead and everybody will now start to give up. Cinemas will surely lock up for good after this announcement. Its not as if the government (or any other) can control this virus in a King Canute way that they seem to pretend they can (because it makes them and the scientists seem jolly important and in control). Herd immunity is the only way out of this and the NHS needs to step up and not rest on its hero worship devotees opinion of it .It should surely be able to handle a few cases of this and still function to save life normally

Herd immunity yes, but the way to get herd immunity is a either letting it sweep through everyone which will see millions dead . . . or a vaccine.

When we have vaccines in Phase III trials, 250 million vaccine doses on order and the first delivery of the first vaccine being scheduled for September at the earliest why the heck would we not control the virus until a vaccine is ready?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Just remember to leave the hand sanitiser bottle out next to the mince pie and sherry.
    We're going to do that!
  • Options
    eek said:

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1289162731308961792

Saw that coming. Even if the situation were not increasing itd be a good excuse for the security law to bed in, exclude more candidates and intimidate people.

After the disastrous (for Beijing) local elections Covid 19 has been a godsend for them.
  • Options

Yes sadly the redundancies will accelerate quite sharply now. People are about to find out what universal credit means.
    Very little.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2020
    "face coverings will be compulsory in more indoor settings where people are likely to come into contact with people they do not know"

So do you have to now wear a mask in the gym? In fact, how can gyms still be allowed to be open, but not bowling alleys or attending an outdoor sporting event?