Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get well soon, Prime Minister

Comments

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,603
    That was a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Boris Johnson Party.
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    TGOHF666 said:

Good job but pretty intellectual and probably way above most people's heads I fear. .

Like Brexit ? The public aren’t daft - let’s not patronise them.
    The public are extremely daft. This is far more nuanced and complex than Brexit.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Well I’m depressed. The only important thing is being able to see other households. The rest is meaningless.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,591
    ydoethur said:

Good job but pretty intellectual and probably way above most people's heads I fear. So the net take may be a muddled belief that you can sort-of end lockdown (which isn't exactly what he said).

You thought that was intellectual?
    The self described writers of popular fiction seem unanimous on this point...
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769
    Brom said:

ydoethur said:

What a lot of vacuous rubbish. That could all have been said in a tweet.

That's rubbish, twitter tells you that people are not responsible enough or smart enough to understand the slogan or taking any form of personal resonsibility. It needed the excellent speech and explanation from Boris. That was pretty clear and the alert system is a great idea. If people don't understand 'stay alert' and the words that came with it they now have zero excuse after watching that.
    Basically what he said was that you can now exercise more than once a day, and return to work if you can’t work from home.

That’s one tweet.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Only air. So can I drive to Spain after all then?

But at the moment you can’t drive through Spain. My wife may be allowed to visit tomorrow. As movement is allowed within the same health area from tomorrow.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,591
    ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

That's rubbish, twitter tells you that people are not responsible enough or smart enough to understand the slogan or taking any form of personal resonsibility. It needed the excellent speech and explanation from Boris. That was pretty clear and the alert system is a great idea. If people don't understand 'stay alert' and the words that came with it they now have zero excuse after watching that.
    Basically what he said was that you can now exercise more than once a day, and return to work if you can’t work from home.

That’s one tweet.
    And a traffic light.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    TGOHF666 said:

Andy_JS said:

Beth Rigby informs us that it's okay to swim in a pond.

I have a rucksack full of bricks if she wants to start soon.
    That made me laugh more than it should. I wonder what percentage of the population is made up of people who swim in ponds.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

Thought it was fine. It didn't r3ally say much we didn't already know, but remember most people don't follow things closely and a roadmap has been demanded.

The big one was if you cant work from home, you should go to work. Death Rigby said the government very worried that the lockdown was too successful when it came to things like construction sector.

That’s odd, because Day Aggregates in Woking seems as busy as ever. We had three stone trains come in last Monday.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    A nothingburger.

He looks ok, though, which rather undermines this thread
    ydoethur said:

Good job but pretty intellectual and probably way above most people's heads I fear. So the net take may be a muddled belief that you can sort-of end lockdown (which isn't exactly what he said).

First half, yes. By public standards that would have been pretty tough going. R numbers, graphs and equations. Most of that would've been straight over people's heads.

Not knocking Boris. I liked it. But I fear people will see it as an amber light to do what they want.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,409
    The graphic was very misleading. Suggested that each of the stages of easing would lower R further.

In reality they will cause the opposite.
  • ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

I think I just heard Ydoethur and every other secondary school teacher scream.

Dave's sister in law tweets on this subject

https://twitter.com/emilysheffield/status/1259546445197303808
    Pointless. So few will turn up that there will be nothing of use or importance to do, or staff to do it. One of those things that get quietly dropped (or negated by ‘new’ research).
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,620
    Decent plan by Bozza.

Will at least allow people to sunbathe in the park, and stop the ludicrous spectacle of people berating others for taking a local drive to open countryside.
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    Andy_JS said:

cheers Beth
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    Andy_JS said:

That's good news - lakes not generally warm enough until now
  • johnoundlejohnoundle Posts: 120

A complete and utter waste of time.

Nothing has changed.

Have you got problems with basic comprehension skills?

• TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

TGOHF666 said:

Good job but pretty intellectual and probably way above most people's heads I fear. .

The public are extremely daft. This is far more nuanced and complex than Brexit.
    The voters weren’t daft then nor now.

You don’t need a degree in grievance studies from Brighton University to understand the R number.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,016
    "Anyone who can't work from home should return to work. Unless you go on the bus. Or work in hospitality. Or work in a shop."
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

"Nothing has changed."

He's literally describing how things have changed.
    So what's changed for me then? Anything? Nope, thought not.
    You can now go outside more often for exercise, for example.
    In England you could go out for exercise as many times as you wanted.
    Couldn't sit on a park bench though, could you? ;)
    That wasn't what you said. You talked about exercise. But yes that is a change. No arsey plod.
    Well the advice was once per day:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do
    So what? It's the law that matters. The advice is not to drink and drive.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    Apologies if I missed it as I was slightly distracted, the PM didn't mention anything about face coverings/masks did he?
    p.s. Boris looked fine by the way (sorry, Alastair)
    ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

That’s one tweet.
    To be fair he set out the sequence for changes to come. The big question- that no one is talking about - is what is the ultimate aim? Is it eradication?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Apologies if I missed it as I was slightly distracted, the PM didn't mention anything about face coverings/masks did he?

Nope....
    Keir Starmer sounds distinctly unimpressed.
    Starmer on BBC News.
    Sir Keith “ The voters are too stupid to understand this “ on BBC.

The left never learn.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,409

He said if you wear one you look like a letter box.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    What about Garden centres?
    ydoethur said:

He’s a fucking moron complaining about different things happening in different parts of the UK.
    There was no mention of when shielded oldies can come out of hiding.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981

Nope....
    Thanks.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    This is why it was worth waiting for the actual speech. Nothing in that was controversial and it was very clear that if the infection rate starts to rise then we're back to "stay home".

It's a bit of a shot in the dark but it doesn't look like anything announced will have a huge increase in the R, if that turns out to be the case it will seem like a good move, if not we revert and people have their answer as to why we can't end the current lockdown measures.

July for pubs reopening though. 😢
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    What is Starmer suggesting?

Scrap devolution?

It's in the nature of devolution that dissolved authorities may take different approach.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010
    So social distancing is going to be maintained on public transport but everyone who can't work from home is encouraged to go into work.

How does that work?
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

The voters weren’t daft then nor now.

You don’t need a degree in grievance studies from Brighton University to understand the R number.
    Yeah you really do.

People are fantastically dumb.

I'm guessing you don't mix much with them ...
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

That’s one tweet.
    To be fair he set out the sequence for changes to come. The big question- that no one is talking about - is what is the ultimate aim? Is it eradication?
    You are assuming he and Cummings have thought them through that far.

Starmer straight on to the public transport thing - ‘how can they get to work tomorrow morning?’
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,100
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

"Nothing has changed."

He's literally describing how things have changed.
    So what's changed for me then? Anything? Nope, thought not.
    You can now go outside more often for exercise, for example.
    In England you could go out for exercise as many times as you wanted.
    Couldn't sit on a park bench though, could you? ;)
    That wasn't what you said. You talked about exercise. But yes that is a change. No arsey plod.
    Well the advice was once per day:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do
    Yes, you could sit on a Park Bench.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,462
    ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

That’s one tweet.
    Well we have always been allowed to exercise more than once per day, and if we cant work from home we have always been supposed to work at our normal place of work unless it is banned. So those would be zero changes.

We can now sunbathe or rest in parks (hurrah, its an obvious change), and we can clearly drive to a place of exercise. And people on incoming flights will be quarantined.

Those seem to be the changes possibly with more on the never never.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So you can sunbathe and play sports with your family and should go to work if you cannot WFH and work in construction, other than that a fuss about nothing and lockdown stays and no changes.

Simply sets out future steps if the public comply with the rules and quarantine for foreign visitors

Agreed
    Schools not to open until June, pubs until July at the earliest
    Schools are already open for NHS workers.

No which is a terrible mistake.

Hong Kong. 7.5 million people as densely populated as anywhere on the planet. Compulsory face masks. 5 deaths.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    ydoethur said:

These 'women' of the 'left' know good intellekshual stuff when they see it.
  • How did Starmer ever get to be DPS if he is so thick?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Good point from sks about 12 hour notice about going to work tomorrow but we have to wait till Wednesday for sunbathing
    MikeL said:

Scrap devolution?

It's in the nature of devolution that dissolved authorities may take different approach.

While it is reasonable for Scotland, Wales, NI to follow divergent paths, wouldn’t it have been sensible to talk to them first to at least make sure they all knew what the other was doing?

And I say that as somebody who has not exactly been supportive of Sturgeon’s approach today.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    TGOHF666 said:

Boris is back - good stuff - grown up - excellent communication.

For retards who don’t know what the law is and think we exist by ministerial proclamation, certainly.
    MikeL said:

Disingenuous by Starmer.

It's blindingly obvious that workers aren't going to be expected to arrange new travel plans by tomorrow morning.

This is cheap, childish criticism for the sake of it.

Boris also made it clear the exact details would be laid out tomorrow in parliament. This was about setting the general roadmap, but Keith has demanded.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Hong Kong. 7.5 million people as densely populated as anywhere on the planet. Compulsory face masks. 5 deaths.

Tend to agree. There's clearly a great reluctance in the wider public, but if we'd made it part of some national effort savetheNHS etc etc campaign, people would probably have done it.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,964
    Andy_JS said:

Ducks are rejoicing at that news.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,603
    ydoethur said:

Adam Price very angry on BBC Wales. That guy makes sense.
    Chris said:

So social distancing is going to be maintained on public transport but everyone who can't work from home is encouraged to go into work.

How does that work?

Is what they're asking on the beeb.

ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

That’s one tweet.
    Well we have always been allowed to exercise more than once per day
    Have we? That certainly wasn’t my understanding. Admittedly the wording ‘one form of exercise a day’ is slightly ambiguous.
    Chris said:

How does that work?

Drive.
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    oh, and because Boris came into play in the middle of it, that bone question about lecture theatres.

A lecture of 160 now becomes only suitable for tutorial groups.

A smaller room of 24 seats now takes 3 students.

Practicals are a whole different kettle of boiled fish.

I thought obvious, but given this weekend has seen some of the most bone posting since 1 minute before the exit poll results.
    MikeL said:

Disingenuous by Starmer.

It's blindingly obvious that workers aren't going to be expected to arrange new travel plans by tomorrow morning.

Then - how do they get to work?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

That’s one tweet.

Starmer straight on to the public transport thing - ‘how can they get to work tomorrow morning?’
    Johnson said go in a car or better bike or walk.
    Can you now drive to do exercise? BBC guy in Cardiff thinks so.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

That’s one tweet.

Not by public transport if they can help it - although saying that the busiest bus I have seen in Colchester in 2 weeks had a grand total of 2 passengers on it
    SKS also picking up on how to get to work with public transport social distance-compliant.
  • Could have been answered in a Tweet that, instead we had an empty and pointless announcement of nothing.

As long as I am unable to leave my home for more than exercise, or go back to work in an office, life has not changed.

Come on CHB, can't you for once, just once, take off the Party glasses?
    Nothing has changed for me. Perhaps for other people - but not for me.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

If I go back into school, because they don’t have the necessary tech, I can’t do that.

So I might be able to teach 12 and 10.

What happens to 7, 8 and 9?
    I'm guessing your school has a month to sort out the necessary tech. Shouldn't be the end of the world to do that with a month's notice.
    If they have the money.
    Should be easier for the school to find the tech than it was for you to do so - and with more notice too.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

That’s one tweet.
    Have we? That certainly wasn’t my understanding. Admittedly the wording ‘one form of exercise a day’ is slightly ambiguous.
    The advice was to exercise once a day, it was never against the rules.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Disingenuous by Starmer.

Then - how do they get to work?
    Could it be that some might be able to and some might need time to work out a way of getting in?
  • We have a lazy (if charismatic) hand-waver in charge at a time when a grasp of the detail would be rather useful. Depressing.

How did Starmer ever get to be DPS if he is so thick?

He’s not thick - but he want to protect all of us because we are thick , stupid racists.

Not clever - like Brexit blocking lawyer Sir Keith.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,462
    tlg86 said:

Yes from Wednesday

"And from this Wednesday, we want to encourage people to take more and even unlimited amounts of outdoor exercise.

You can sit in the sun in your local park, you can drive to other destinations, you can even play sports but only with members of your own household."

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

That’s one tweet.

Johnson said go in a car or better bike or walk.
    OK.

So everyone who goes to Brum by train for non-office work is now expected to drive.

Tomorrow, I shall look for a queue that goes past my front door to Stafford.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,016
    nichomar said:

Only air. So can I drive to Spain after all then?

But at the moment you can’t drive through Spain. My wife may be allowed to visit tomorrow. As movement is allowed within the same health area from tomorrow.
    Hope for mid August then.
    MaxPB said:

Chris said:

How does that work?

Drive.
    Yes. Get your driver to take you to and from work. Perhaps in the Audi rather than the Arnage so as not to attract attention.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    TGOHF666 said:

Sir Keith “ The voters are too stupid to understand this “ on BBC.

The left never learn.

Just out of interest, why do you seem to find it hilarious to refer to the LOTO as Sir Keith?

Scrub that, I think I already know the answer
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    His breathing was much better
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010
    edited May 2020
    MaxPB said:

Chris said:

How does that work?

Drive.
    Is this really the extent of the planning behind lifting the lockdown?

I hope everyone is ready for the second wave.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,964
    tlg86 said:

You always could.
  • ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

If I go back into school, because they don’t have the necessary tech, I can’t do that.

It sounded like all they are thinking about is a transition day or something. This idea of ‘seeing’ their teacher is nonsensical; likely a hastily changed sentence to replace something that fell apart during the talks with unions.

By the end of June it’s just assemblies (not going to happen), prizegiving (not going to happen), sports days (not going to happen) and concerts (not going to happen) anyway.

Quite embarrassing, really. If they are this confused over education it makes you question everything else. If they just want to let them see their mates they should have just said that.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,100
    edited May 2020
    It will be interesting to see how that works in with the wider pavements and lanes for people on bikes.

Can we have a daily graph of @MarqueeMark 's blood pressure :smiley: ?

• GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    edited May 2020

Could have been answered in a Tweet that, instead we had an empty and pointless announcement of nothing.

As long as I am unable to leave my home for more than exercise, or go back to work in an office, life has not changed.

I’m the same. I am still confined to a small house with my now ex-girlfriend with no possibility of escape in the near future.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Good that we now all have an ounce more freedom and some more will retern to work soon, but, overall dismayed at the announcement.

with only 16,000 or whatever it is getting infected a day and R at or near 1, we are not going to any closer to 'heard immunity' any time soon, there for, R is not going to drop in any meaning full way, so we are now stuck at this level, until, we have a vaccine, (maybe that should be if we ever get a vaccine)

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Could have been answered in a Tweet that, instead we had an empty and pointless announcement of nothing.

Then good yours didn't need to change then. You're able to go to the office now if you need to do so, and if you don't need to do so then what are you bothered about?
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

A complete and utter waste of time.

Nothing has changed.

Have you got problems with basic comprehension skills?

You don't remember how we were being fervently assured that double-digit Tory leads necessarily meant that Jeremy was about to waltz into No. 10? :wink:
  • gettingbettergettingbetter Posts: 476

"Anyone who can't work from home should return to work. Unless you go on the bus. Or work in hospitality. Or work in a shop."

or have children
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Scrap devolution?

While it is reasonable for Scotland, Wales, NI to follow divergent paths, wouldn’t it have been sensible to talk to them first to at least make sure they all knew what the other was doing?

And I say that as somebody who has not exactly been supportive of Sturgeon’s approach today.
    And have Sturgeon announce it at noon?

Very little of substance announced - I suspect there may be more tomorrow in parliament.
  • Having not been on this site for a long time I am very sad to see that tribal politics is still so strong.

For me tribal politics is one of the saddest and most childish traits there is, and some of you on here need to grow up.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    MaxPB said:

Chris said:

How does that work?

Drive.
    If you havent a car?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    I will be fascinated to see what evidence Nicola has that the R rate is higher in Scotland. Given the chronically poor level of testing in Scotland she may just be being cautious. But are we really going to have construction sites open in England and locked up in Scotland? English factories taking contracts from Scottish businesses because they can deliver and Scottish companies can’t?

I do not believe that is a sustainable position. She will need to come in line with Boris very quickly.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    HYUFD said:

So you can sunbathe and play sports with your family and should go to work if you cannot WFH and work in construction, other than that a fuss about nothing and lockdown stays and no changes.

Simply sets out future steps if the public comply with the rules and quarantine for foreign visitors

Are you sure it is just for foreign visitors? I assumed it would include Brits returning from holiday abroad.

tlg86 said:

You always could.
    The police don’t think so.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

I'm guessing your school has a month to sort out the necessary tech. Shouldn't be the end of the world to do that with a month's notice.
    If they have the money.
    Should be easier for the school to find the tech than it was for you to do so - and with more notice too.
    Possibly - if they have the money.

I already had the tech. And a fall back.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

That’s one tweet.
    The SI is clear. You were allowed to go out "to take exercise". No mention of frequency. In England.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

I kind of think you are missing the point of what he said.

The plan is that IF things are still improving then Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 might go back.

That was it.

He said something vague about giving Years 10 and 12 some face to face time with teachers but was clear that nothing else would happen until it was safe to do so.

So the short answer is that in all likelihood the earliest years 7,8 and 9 will go back is September.

And it is worth saying I think that no one in their right mind would criticise you or any other teacher for saying no if they feel they are being put at risk. But that was not the impression I got from the statement.

edited May 2020
    TOPPING said:

SKS also picking up on how to get to work with public transport social distance-compliant.

Limited capacity at train stations, social distancing queues to get onto the platform and a full schedule.

Anyway, office workers form the bulk of people on peak time trains, we aren't going back to the office for a pretty long time.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Starmer didn't seem very constructive there, maybe he hadn't seen the 15 minute speech and was somewhat confused.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Blindingly obvious each company will have to 1) take decision to reopen, then 2) make arrangements, then 3) inform staff.

Any idiot would realise companies aren't just going to be expecting to see their employees at 9am tomorrow morning.

It's either childish by Starmer or he is very, very stupid indeed.
  • Could have been answered in a Tweet that, instead we had an empty and pointless announcement of nothing.

Then good yours didn't need to change then. You're able to go to the office now if you need to do so, and if you don't need to do so then what are you bothered about?
    Can't see some of my family or my friends - and I feel as isolated and lonely as I was before.
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Limited capacity at train stations, social distancing queues to get onto the platform and a full schedule.
    Are the unions on board?

(Boom boom.)
This discussion has been closed.