Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today’s front pages are yet again dominated by the coronavirus

12346»

Comments

• Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    edited March 2020
    Johnson has never had to face the consequences of anything he's ever done in his entire life. Now he's facing nothing but consequences. It must be infernal torture for him. HAHA.
  • alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Gordon actually very sensible on R4.

Let’s be honest, he understands this stuff much better than Boris.

Rishi is impressive, but so far he’s letting hundreds of thousands of jobs go to the wall, while sick-in-the-head loyalists like HYUFD advocate broth.

I really don`t think is is right or accurate to be party-political over this.

HYUFD is an excellent poster on this site, and whether or not you agree with his ideology (of course he won`t agree with your similarly) his posts are usually just factual and his breadth and depth of knowledge on all things political, both present and historical, is simply astonishing.

Not often that you see someone say that HY's posts are "usually just factual", TBH
    We all get cross with one another on this site - and that is inevitable and fine. I just think HYUFD gets far more stick than is justified
    When he says things along the lines of "renters have been told they wont be evicted for a few months, what more do they want?" there isn't a stick long enough.
    If you pay the rent for renters the money goes to landlords, not to tenants and mortgage payments have been suspended not ended for 3 months too.

You are just partisan anti Tory
    Surely mortgage payments are only suspended where you have money issues, they are not going to suspend everyone's payments
    They will be suspended on request for everyone, presumably because the government has agreed this with the Council of Mortgage Lenders. Mortgage interest will still be charged, but deferred. If a repayment mortgage, then capital repayments will be similarly be deferred.

The effect is that either: 1) borrowers need to increase their payments further down the line to pay back these deferrals or 2) the term will be extended until the debt is fully repaid.

To be clear, no taxpayer money is being given to mortgage borrowers whatsoever - a lie that seems to be being promoted by those who rent.
    Thanks for that , I did not imagine I would get the option. Presume you need to contact your lender then.
    Yes, and I would expect them to be extremely understanding of your position - they may offer you a longer "holiday" than they are obliged to do.
    I am still getting paid and far from skint but would happily defer and pay it in the distant future
    Regardless of cost?
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,538
    There is no comms shambles, just the media desperately trying to create another crisis.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106

Calling HYUFD to tell us all how amazing this government is

https://twitter.com/carryonkeith/status/1240580717979095040

Additional loans require security, this is no different, once the crisis eases and businesses recover the Government and taxpayers need some assurance business owners will repay them
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,124
    [Admin] Could not log in with Chrome even after deleting cookies & cache. OK on Firefox.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207
    First minister Nicola Sturgeon confirmed there are six reported deaths in Scotland of people who tested positive for the coronavirus.

The deaths in Scotland have doubled - from three to six - since yesterday.

The number of cases rise by 39 taking the total of positive cases to 266.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

What was it, just 3 weeks ago it was still running riot?

Hoping by May we are all looking at each other going "Is that all there is to a pandemic?"
    Agreed.

I think this thing is burning out faster than people expected.
    If that happens, then the media will blame Boris for over-reacting and crashing the economy...
    There's no prospect of it happening, there doesn't seem to be any public health person who thinks that the pandemic will be over soon. It will be a continuous process of suppression measures until a vaccine is widely available.
    Easter, Passover and Ramadan next month. Anything been said about discouraging religious gatherings or are we trusting to God to look after her own?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,985

Probably an idiot boss, but does depend a bit on the firm, if they are making hand sanitisers it should be all hands to the pump.
    I like the mixed metaphor.

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

Post just been delivered. One Mothers Day card for Mrs C and a flyer with an offer for travel insurance.

Travel insurance? Now?

Haha. There's a full page ad in the Guardian for a cruise today lol!
    Actually that reminds I was thinking about when deciding whether to get up or not this morning. Can the virus be transmitted on newsprint? If so should (???Big G and) I get newspapers?

Or, as per someone else's post, should I cancel Private Eye?
    everything so far points to it lasting much longer on paper/cardboard etc, so best to not touch it , store safely for suitable period and you have a new loo roll.
    Hmmm. Thanks for that. Might well cancel deliveries.
    I think 72 hours will cover it comfortably, so you can read the paper 3 days out of date.
    I have taken to removing the front page/back page, then washing my hands thoroughly and reading the rest.
    I haven't read a newspaper for years. Does the ink still come off on your fingers?

There is no comms shambles, just the media desperately trying to create another crisis.
    A policy shambles then, if not comms? Or just that pesky media and public wanting to know what is going on and what they are supposed to do about it?
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    HYUFD said:

Additional loans require security, this is no different, once the crisis eases and businesses recover the Government and taxpayers need some assurance business owners will repay them
    They need security because they don't have the power to sell the property otherwise. The government has loads of powers.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,164
    HYUFD said:

Why choose that route when under our company law you can just close down, shaft the people you owe or work for you and re-open without penalty?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,644
    isam said:

9. Open borders spread diseases

Does your definition of open borders now include tourism?
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,267

Easter, Passover and Ramadan next month. Anything been said about discouraging religious gatherings or are we trusting to God to look after her own?

The Church of England has stopped all services until further notice.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Pope has cancelled Easter. Jesus will stay dead this year.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    HYUFD said:

More likely is that they will not be taken in the first place. Businesses with disappearing cusotmer bases are not going to take on more debt. They will cut costs (ie, jobs) and/or stop trading instead. This is not a sustainable approach from the government given the scale of the crisis.

• Nigelb said:

Unlike in China, where the government doesn't have to worry about the public, here the government can't win. Days of why aren't the schools closed, we are waiting until the optimal time, but they should be closed, we demand it, ok they are closed from Friday, U-TURNNNNNNN...outrageous the government have closed schools, its so unfair.

Not really.
    I've been saying for a couple of weeks they should close schools, and am relieved they've got around to it.
    Have you turned on the news today...its wall to wall people complaining about the closures.

And after all the stuff about the country should be locked down, when they lock down London this weekend, it will be the same.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-lockdown-travel-downing-street-coronavirus-a4391811.html
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,059

That didn't work in Iran or S.Korea, did it!

Surely if he cancels Good Friday then Easter is not needed?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

HYUFD said:

More likely is that they will not be taken in the first place. Businesses with disappearing cusotmer bases are not going to take on more debt. They will cut costs (ie, jobs) and/or stop trading instead. This is not a sustainable approach from the government given the scale of the crisis.

Companies who are told they can't trade ceasing to trade is sustainable and logical. But funds will be needed to ensure security etc and continuation until they can resume trading once more.

HYUFD said:

Time for my twice-daily suggestion of student loan type arrangements with income-contingent repayments. Tbh I am beginning to doubt Rishi & Dom lurk here.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,507
    HYUFD said:

Absolutely comical, Ali.
  • Endillion said:

eristdoof said:

welshowl said:

Well God speed his recovery of course, but that’s another “celebrity” down with it. Given official figure are still talking thousands and if pushed the scientific advisors will say tens of thousands ( if I an keeping up), the chances of so many “known” figures such as Idris Elba, Nadine Dorries, Neil Ferguson the epidemiology expect etc etc being positive with it seem a bit out of whack. Is it much much more prevalent than we think/acknowledge? Clearly this is the iceberg theory, but knowing the size of the submerged bit is surely the question of the moment ( aside from effective drugs!), but even without a test are we only a relative short time away from the answer stating us in the face anyway??
    My neighbour has just said to me (over the hedge, 2 metres apart) that he reckons there's something they aren't telling us.
    "They" are preparing the rocket ships, to leave us to fend for ourselves.
    "They" are all fundamentally "B" Ark people anyway.
    Remember what happened to the people not on the "B" Ark.
    Spoiler alert!
    They all died due to un-sanitised telephones.
  • JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

Is that quite true or is it just no new cases in Hubei?

Worldometer has this update:

China: for the first time since the beginning of the outbreak, there have been 0 new cases in Wuhan and in the Hubei province, and no new and no existing suspected cases in Wuhan and in Hubei.

34 new cases, 8 new deaths (all in Hubei), and 819 new discharges occurred in China on March 18, as reported by the National Health Commission (NHC) of China.
    No new local cases anywhere in China.

All 34 new cases came from people returning from overseas.
    Ah ok thanks - that's good news.
    You think so?

No new cases (if true) can only have been done by super rigid isolation measures. These cannot be lifted or cases will just take off again. China may possibly have the culture and state actors to enforce the level required, but here?

Happy to be corrected but one way or another most of us are going to have to catch this disease unless we get a vaccine, but that will be a year away and probably more. So this just means the lid has been clamped tight for now.

I can only see a horrible balancing act of "allowing" a manageable number of infections, with control measures strict enough to keep that number low enough so the NHS is not overwhelmed. Looks like that balance is found with much tighter restrictions than we first thought, and the timescale involved is going to be very long. Look at Italy, so far they have gone for isolation max and still have not got it under control (although the 14 days timescale will be key to fully judge this - hopefully their numbers will start to fall).

We will be Italy soon surely though. Grim
    If the isolation measures are continued for a month or so after the last new local cases, wouldn't that mean the virus has effectively died out? Restrictions then slowly eased off, to monitor initial results, with restrictions only being lifted in stages. All foreign arrivals screened and tested, and in the early days maybe even quarantined automatically.
    I can't see us here in the West collectively being disciplined enough to conform if the isolation measures are extremely strict. BoJo's Dad will still be going to the pub...that sort of attitude.

Having the virus die out for a lack of hosts seems like wishful thinking unfortunately. Again i am not even remotely an expert so this may be nonsense.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2020

isam said:

I never really had a definition of open borders to change, but yes I’d say so. It’s obvious that people moving around the world spreads diseases quicker than if no one did at all. I’m not saying there shouldn’t be tourism, but I think there is too much cheap air travel and we are paying the hidden cost now.

Surely if he cancels Good Friday then Easter is not needed?
    Wot, no eggs!
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Passover: All United Synagogues closed for all services until further notice. Most non-United Synagogue entities that I am aware of are either closing or placing severe restrictions n numbers through the door (and pressure being put on them to close completely). Chief Rabbi and various other communal leaders have publicly stated they will not be participating in any "pop-up" services and that everyone should continue praying at home on their own.

Endillion said:

eristdoof said:

welshowl said:

Well God speed his recovery of course, but that’s another “celebrity” down with it. Given official figure are still talking thousands and if pushed the scientific advisors will say tens of thousands ( if I an keeping up), the chances of so many “known” figures such as Idris Elba, Nadine Dorries, Neil Ferguson the epidemiology expect etc etc being positive with it seem a bit out of whack. Is it much much more prevalent than we think/acknowledge? Clearly this is the iceberg theory, but knowing the size of the submerged bit is surely the question of the moment ( aside from effective drugs!), but even without a test are we only a relative short time away from the answer stating us in the face anyway??
    My neighbour has just said to me (over the hedge, 2 metres apart) that he reckons there's something they aren't telling us.
    Spoiler alert!
    In fact I think we could all do with something to sanitise phones right now: there’s little point in cleaning your hands if you immediately grasp a phone to which you earlier transferred the virus.
  • DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    What is worse, some businesses going bust because they won't put some skin in the game (20%) or the government being on the hook for huge loans to every business in the country which will in all likelihood never get paid back?

They can't just hand out free money on such an enormous scale, it's crazy.

China: for the first time since the beginning of the outbreak, there have been 0 new cases in Wuhan and in the Hubei province, and no new and no existing suspected cases in Wuhan and in Hubei.

34 new cases, 8 new deaths (all in Hubei), and 819 new discharges occurred in China on March 18, as reported by the National Health Commission (NHC) of China.

You think so?

No new cases (if true) can only have been done by super rigid isolation measures. These cannot be lifted or cases will just take off again. China may possibly have the culture and state actors to enforce the level required, but here?

Happy to be corrected but one way or another most of us are going to have to catch this disease unless we get a vaccine, but that will be a year away and probably more. So this just means the lid has been clamped tight for now.

I can only see a horrible balancing act of "allowing" a manageable number of infections, with control measures strict enough to keep that number low enough so the NHS is not overwhelmed. Looks like that balance is found with much tighter restrictions than we first thought, and the timescale involved is going to be very long. Look at Italy, so far they have gone for isolation max and still have not got it under control (although the 14 days timescale will be key to fully judge this - hopefully their numbers will start to fall).

If the isolation measures are continued for a month or so after the last new local cases, wouldn't that mean the virus has effectively died out? Restrictions then slowly eased off, to monitor initial results, with restrictions only being lifted in stages. All foreign arrivals screened and tested, and in the early days maybe even quarantined automatically.
    I can't see us here in the West collectively being disciplined enough to conform if the isolation measures are extremely strict. BoJo's Dad will still be going to the pub...that sort of attitude.

Having the virus die out for a lack of hosts seems like wishful thinking unfortunately. Again i am not even remotely an expert so this may be nonsense.
    On here, if you breathe, you're an expert.

isam said:

What the virus crisis teaches us:
    1. The world is complex and interconnected.
    2. There are no easy solutions.
    3. Experts are absolutely essential.
    4. The market does not have all the answers.
    5. The state is a force for good.
    6. Populism is a fake prospectus.
    7. Solidarity wins.
    Discuss.

Sounds a bit like ‘I was right all along’ to me

I’ll join in

8. Capitalism, globalisation and air travel come at a cost that people who profited from it didn’t want to believe

8 is undoubtedly true and I would add that a lot of people have benefited from globalisation but do not want to believe they have. I am not sure about 9. People spread diseases.

Well you are right about 9 in the way that heroin doesn’t kill people, it just enables people who take it to kill themselves

So 9 (edit) open borders enable the spread of diseases
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,164

Endillion said:

eristdoof said:

welshowl said:

Spoiler alert!
    In fact I think we could all do with something to sanitise phones right now: there’s little point in cleaning your hands if you immediately grasp a phone to which you earlier transferred the virus.
    Unless you have a brand new £1000 Iphone or Samsung, just use an anti bac wet wipe imo. Dont worry about potential damage, there probably is some but its not going to stop working overnight because of it.
    isam said:

isam said:

I never really had a definition of open borders to change, but yes I’d say so. It’s obvious that people moving around the world spreads diseases quicker than if no one did at all. I’m not saying there shouldn’t be tourism, but I think there is too much cheap air travel and we are paying the hidden cost now.
    Covid 19 is definitely green
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383

What is worse, some businesses going bust because they won't put some skin in the game (20%) or the government being on the hook for huge loans to every business in the country which will in all likelihood never get paid back?

Of course they can, if they choose; they can print it.

They'll be handing it out in non-productive benefits anyway once all these companies go bust.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2020

If you give me 100k and I have to repay 20k you are giving me 80k.

That is not a lot better from the lenders viewpoint.

It is the wrong solution to the issues we have.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,538

A policy shambles then, if not comms? Or just that pesky media and public wanting to know what is going on and what they are supposed to do about it?
    The government has been clear what people are supposed to do.
  • I am pleased that HYUFD has stepped up to the plate to assure business that going out of business is the same as staying in business. And once the government get battered into submission and propose a scheme that is fit fir purpose he will singing its praises just as effusively despite the screaming contradiction from one to the other.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

You think so?

I believe spain is in the west I can only go out to supermarket, pharmacy doctors etc and then only on my own, I can’t have friends round for a drink or drop in on neighbours. It’s not fun but 99.999% are just getting on with it.
    edited March 2020
    alterego said:

isam said:

isam said:

Yes! In the old days it would have been deemed an act of God in response to the damage we have done to his world. Maybe the future will see it recorded that way!

Any environmentalists who oppose mass immigration and globalism must be feeling a strange mixture of pretty smug and extreme concern

They'll be handing it out in non-productive benefits anyway once all these companies go bust.
    Another expert opinion.

HYUFD said:

Time for my twice-daily suggestion of student loan type arrangements with income-contingent repayments. Tbh I am beginning to doubt Rishi & Dom lurk here.
    Well, I'm hardly likely to let on am I?

Edit: Ooops!
    alterego said:

Another expert opinion.
    Where am I claiming to be an expert?
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,998
    CBS vox pop:

“If I get corona, I get corona. At the end of the day, I'm not gonna let it stop me from partying”: Spring breakers are still flocking to Miami, despite coronavirus warnings. https://cbsn.ws/33sb67i

And:

"Everything might be canceled due to #CoronavirusPandemic concerns, but oh man, the beach is packed," CBS affiliate WTSP reporter Liz Burch tweeted over the weekend.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,644
    isam said:

isam said:

But disease doesn't care about the purpose of travel. A place could have draconian immigration laws but still become a hotspot because of business travel or tourism.

I am pleased that HYUFD has stepped up to the plate to assure business that going out of business is the same as staying in business. And once the government get battered into submission and propose a scheme that is fit fir purpose he will singing its praises just as effusively despite the screaming contradiction from one to the other.

Nailed it!
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,052
    isam said:

isam said:

I hate this disingenuous stuff. This virus has been spread by business travellers and tourists. Until now I've never heard anyone talking about "open borders" including those groups.

Otherwise I agree, we should pay the costs of what we do. We should have a carbon tax, a pandemic tax on, a tax on food produced misusing antibiotics, a tax on polluters etc
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Just chatted with some London friends who're heading to Glasgow..."before the lock down"

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1240616429503774720?s=20
    edited March 2020

I am pleased that HYUFD has stepped up to the plate to assure business that going out of business is the same as staying in business. And once the government get battered into submission and propose a scheme that is fit fir purpose he will singing its praises just as effusively despite the screaming contradiction from one to the other.

They have been given these vast loans previsely to stop them going out of business.

However the money for government loans does not grow on trees, ultimately it comes from taxpayers and it is only right taxpayers get some security for their loans from the business owners they are bailing out
    isam said:

alterego said:

isam said:

isam said:

Yes! In the old days it would have been deemed an act of God in response to the damage we have done to his world. Maybe the future will see it recorded that way!

Any environmentalists who oppose mass immigration and globalism must be feeling a strange mixture of pretty smug and extreme concern
    I would hope not "smug" but can't think of an alternative. Maybe, just maybe, this will have some consequential and compensatory benefits for the undoubted pain.

alterego said:

Another expert opinion.
    Where am I claiming to be an expert?
    Your expertise shines like a beacon.
  • isam said:

alterego said:

isam said:

isam said:

What does immigration have to do with it?
  • NEW THREAD

Not without huge inflation they can't

No, it will be livestreamed instead
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,200

Yup, absolutely agree with that. Better to take on the debt now as the government rather than have people on benefits in 6 months time.

Just chatted with some London friends who're heading to Glasgow..."before the lock down"

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1240616429503774720?s=20

Is that so they can be locked up? 😉
  • HYUFD said:

They have been given these vast loans previsely to stop them going out of business.

However the money for government loans does not grow on trees, ultimately it comes from taxpayers and it is only right taxpayers get some security for their loans from the business owners they are bailing out
    I'll say it slowly for you CHYUFD

They haven't been given any loans. Most of the businesses in trouble will not be eligible for the loans. They won't have 20% they can put in (hence the need for emergency cash) nor will they have a business plan that a bank will sign off ("its a hotel, we have staff to pay and no guests because the PM said people can't come").

Which means no cash. Which means they fold.

I know that for ideological reasons you probably support the wholescale bankruptcy of UK business - survival of the fittest and all that. If so why not just say so. Instead you are on here literally copying Comical Ali insisting there are no troops despite them being seen behind you. One of us looks like an utter tit mate. And it isn't me.
  • I literally cheered when Sunak said "we're ready to loan business £330bn or more, whatever it takes". But now the details come out we find that most of this emergency funding won't be issued to the businesses in emergency.

Except that it will be. Because the government will be forced - by its own backbenchers - to actually issue actual cash before the Tory party is directly responsible for the absolute destruction of most of the economy.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,507

I literally cheered when Sunak said "we're ready to loan business £330bn or more, whatever it takes". But now the details come out we find that most of this emergency funding won't be issued to the businesses in emergency.

Except that it will be. Because the government will be forced - by its own backbenchers - to actually issue actual cash before the Tory party is directly responsible for the absolute destruction of most of the economy.

Exactly right.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012
    alterego said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Gordon actually very sensible on R4.

Let’s be honest, he understands this stuff much better than Boris.

Rishi is impressive, but so far he’s letting hundreds of thousands of jobs go to the wall, while sick-in-the-head loyalists like HYUFD advocate broth.

I really don`t think is is right or accurate to be party-political over this.

HYUFD is an excellent poster on this site, and whether or not you agree with his ideology (of course he won`t agree with your similarly) his posts are usually just factual and his breadth and depth of knowledge on all things political, both present and historical, is simply astonishing.

Not often that you see someone say that HY's posts are "usually just factual", TBH
    We all get cross with one another on this site - and that is inevitable and fine. I just think HYUFD gets far more stick than is justified
    When he says things along the lines of "renters have been told they wont be evicted for a few months, what more do they want?" there isn't a stick long enough.
    If you pay the rent for renters the money goes to landlords, not to tenants and mortgage payments have been suspended not ended for 3 months too.

You are just partisan anti Tory
    Surely mortgage payments are only suspended where you have money issues, they are not going to suspend everyone's payments
    They will be suspended on request for everyone, presumably because the government has agreed this with the Council of Mortgage Lenders. Mortgage interest will still be charged, but deferred. If a repayment mortgage, then capital repayments will be similarly be deferred.

The effect is that either: 1) borrowers need to increase their payments further down the line to pay back these deferrals or 2) the term will be extended until the debt is fully repaid.

To be clear, no taxpayer money is being given to mortgage borrowers whatsoever - a lie that seems to be being promoted by those who rent.
    Thanks for that , I did not imagine I would get the option. Presume you need to contact your lender then.
    Yes, and I would expect them to be extremely understanding of your position - they may offer you a longer "holiday" than they are obliged to do.
    I am still getting paid and far from skint but would happily defer and pay it in the distant future
    Regardless of cost?
    Well if added at end it would come out of my estate hopefully as I plan to never pay my house off, otherwise it would be a tiny monthly increase. For the amount it would hardly matter either way and I am unlikely to bother with hassle of the paperwork.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,759

The Church of England has stopped all services until further notice.
    Few will notice.
This discussion has been closed.