Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today’s front pages are yet again dominated by the coronavirus

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342
    Big jump in oil prices this morning. Have the Russians and the Saudis made up?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,773
    What was it, just 3 weeks ago it was still running riot?

Hoping by May we are all looking at each other going "Is that all there is to a pandemic?"
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    geoffw said:

Really sorry to hear that. But he looks good and speaks well.
    Little correction to his tweet: he means "je suivis" not "je suis".
    Doesn't je suis mean I am following and well as I am?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    geoffw said:

Je suivis would be Passé Simple. "Je suis" is Indicatif Présent of suivre. I am following all instructions.

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,059

IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

James_M said:

Morning all. @Big_G_NorthWales I sent you a message via Vanilla. If you would like me to post over a small bottle of sanitiser to you, I would be happy to do so. You mentioned yesterday you had little/none and were self-isolating. Just get in touch via the Vanilla inbox/messaging system if the sanitiser would be helpful.

Isnt the advice that soap and hot water is actually better - and if you are self isolating, why would you need satitiser? just asking.
    He wanted it in event he had to visit doctor/collect prescription etc , ie the very odd time he could not avoid leaving house for urgent medical items.
    He'd be well advised to sign up with a delivery service through a local pharmacy, or register with one that posts your prescriptions such as Pharmacy2U. I don't see the point of self isolating and then wandering down the shops for a prescription; a chemist is a nexus for the unwell and not a sensible place to visit.
    I agree about posted prescriptions, unnecessary visits to a pharmacist should be the last thing the vulnerable should do.

Unforeseen not repeat prescription visits is another matter.
    It's a concern on pharmacy websites.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757

Hoping by May we are all looking at each other going "Is that all there is to a pandemic?"
    Depends if you believe them.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,539

That would be a miracle. But let's all hope so.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,536
    IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

I think his French is even better than yours. He means "je suis."
    . "Je suis naturellement toutes les instructions .. "
    or "Je suiviss naturellement toutes les instructions .. "
    Take your pick.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053

welshowl said:

Well God speed his recovery of course, but that’s another “celebrity” down with it. Given official figure are still talking thousands and if pushed the scientific advisors will say tens of thousands ( if I an keeping up), the chances of so many “known” figures such as Idris Elba, Nadine Dorries, Neil Ferguson the epidemiology expect etc etc being positive with it seem a bit out of whack. Is it much much more prevalent than we think/acknowledge? Clearly this is the iceberg theory, but knowing the size of the submerged bit is surely the question of the moment ( aside from effective drugs!), but even without a test are we only a relative short time away from the answer stating us in the face anyway??
    I imagine because if a 'celebrity' wants a test, they'll get a test.

Whereas my wife, and my work colleague, both of whom are exhibiting symptoms (indeed, almost all the symptoms) are told to bog off and stop bothering us.
    It is no coincidence that the US hit crisis stage as sports teams were getting the results of their players' tests through. One basketball match was stopped halfway thorough. The sports teams could afford private tests which were not available to the public. Once the sports teams had a positive they pretty much had to inform the public.
    geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

I think his French is even better than yours. He means "je suis."
    . "Je suis naturellement toutes les instructions .. "
    or "Je suivis naturellement toutes les instructions .. "
    Take your pick.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Agreed.

I think this thing is burning out faster than people expected.
    edited March 2020

Post just been delivered. One Mothers Day card for Mrs C and a flyer with an offer for travel insurance.

Travel insurance? Now?

Haha. There's a full page ad in the Guardian for a cruise today lol!
    Actually that reminds I was thinking about when deciding whether to get up or not this morning. Can the virus be transmitted on newsprint? If so should (???Big G and) I get newspapers?

Or, as per someone else's post, should I cancel Private Eye?
    Just get your butler to turn the pages....
  • DavidL said:

Could be the Chinese recovery too.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,424

Agreed.

If that happens, then the media will blame Boris for over-reacting and crashing the economy...
    edited March 2020
    You know its really really serious, even Paddy Power won't make a joke out of it to try and drive traffic...

Paddy Power Betfair have taken a stand against marketing that uses the current novel coronavirus pandemic to sell or promote products, announcing a zero tolerance approach…

https://www.highstakesdb.com/10228-paddy-power-betfair-take-firm-stance-on-coronavirus-marketing.aspx

Post just been delivered. One Mothers Day card for Mrs C and a flyer with an offer for travel insurance.

Travel insurance? Now?

Actually that reminds I was thinking about when deciding whether to get up or not this morning. Can the virus be transmitted on newsprint? If so should (???Big G and) I get newspapers?

Just get your butler to turn the pages....
    He's self-isolating in his pantry.
    Dura_Ace said:

geoffw said:

Je suivis would be Passé Simple. "Je suis" is Indicatif Présent of suivre. I am following all instructions.

I take that correction, ta.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

That would be a miracle. But let's all hope so.
    One day at a time
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207
    My son works in a school for children with severe learning difficulties

They are staying open, including through the holidays - but to be fair a lot of parents and staff have voted with their feet already
    edited March 2020
    Outrageous, scientists telling the truth....

People with 'underlying conditions' are being treated as expendable. But our lives matter

The language used by officials describing the spiralling scenarios risks dehumanising us, and makes us feel we no longer matter. To take just one example: Dr Nick Phin, deputy director of the National Infection Service at Public Health England, went on Newsnight last week and didn’t blink as he nonchalantly talked about those with “pre-existing conditions” who will have “more serious illness and unfortunately death”.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/19/underlying-conditions-coronavirus-health

You know its really really serious, even Paddy Power won't make a joke out of it to try and drive traffic...

Paddy Power Betfair have taken a stand against marketing that uses the current novel coronavirus pandemic to sell or promote products, announcing a zero tolerance approach…

https://www.highstakesdb.com/10228-paddy-power-betfair-take-firm-stance-on-coronavirus-marketing.aspx

You wouldn't have bet on that, would you!

Agreed.

If that happens, then the media will blame Boris for over-reacting and crashing the economy...
    Led no doubt by Piers Morgan.
  • DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815

Agreed.

There will probably be enough deaths to stop that, but not enough that he gets blamed for causing too many.

Maybe there was method in their madness to delay lockdown until now.

welshowl said:

Well God speed his recovery of course, but that’s another “celebrity” down with it. Given official figure are still talking thousands and if pushed the scientific advisors will say tens of thousands ( if I an keeping up), the chances of so many “known” figures such as Idris Elba, Nadine Dorries, Neil Ferguson the epidemiology expect etc etc being positive with it seem a bit out of whack. Is it much much more prevalent than we think/acknowledge? Clearly this is the iceberg theory, but knowing the size of the submerged bit is surely the question of the moment ( aside from effective drugs!), but even without a test are we only a relative short time away from the answer stating us in the face anyway??
    My neighbour has just said to me (over the hedge, 2 metres apart) that he reckons there's something they aren't telling us.
    "They" are preparing the rocket ships, to leave us to fend for ourselves.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442

Why are so many tube stations closed, forcing more people into other ones, which are then more crowded?

Why do people think hand sanitiser is any fecking use at all above and beyond soap? anti bacterial is not anti viral...

I have more questions but it's a busy time for all of us.

The closed stations look to the be some of the lease popular
  • What was it, just 3 weeks ago it was still running riot?

Agreed.

In China, yes. After the extreme lockdown that we didn't do.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,975
    edited March 2020
    Guess that's only happened because China has locked down their country for weeks though? And of course no one knows if it will flare up again when the restrictions are lifted...
    Unlike in China, where the government doesn't have to worry about the public, here the government can't win. Days of why aren't the schools closed, we are waiting until the optimal time, but they should be closed, we demand it, ok they are closed from Friday, U-TURNNNNNNN...outrageous the government have closed schools, its so unfair.
  • JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

Is that quite true or is it just no new cases in Hubei?

Worldometer has this update:

China: for the first time since the beginning of the outbreak, there have been 0 new cases in Wuhan and in the Hubei province, and no new and no existing suspected cases in Wuhan and in Hubei.

34 new cases, 8 new deaths (all in Hubei), and 819 new discharges occurred in China on March 18, as reported by the National Health Commission (NHC) of China.
    No new local cases anywhere in China.

All 34 new cases came from people returning from overseas.
    Ah ok thanks - that's good news.
    You think so?

No new cases (if true) can only have been done by super rigid isolation measures. These cannot be lifted or cases will just take off again. China may possibly have the culture and state actors to enforce the level required, but here?

Happy to be corrected but one way or another most of us are going to have to catch this disease unless we get a vaccine, but that will be a year away and probably more. So this just means the lid has been clamped tight for now.

I can only see a horrible balancing act of "allowing" a manageable number of infections, with control measures strict enough to keep that number low enough so the NHS is not overwhelmed. Looks like that balance is found with much tighter restrictions than we first thought, and the timescale involved is going to be very long. Look at Italy, so far they have gone for isolation max and still have not got it under control (although the 14 days timescale will be key to fully judge this - hopefully their numbers will start to fall).

We will be Italy soon surely though. Grim
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876
    China has its own particular definition of essential employees; the quest for technological domination is not to be interrupted...

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Cover-Story/How-China-s-chip-industry-defied-the-coronavirus-lockdown
    TAIPEI -- Most high-speed trains have not stopped in Wuhan since Chinese authorities locked down the city on Jan. 23, in an attempt to control the outbreak of the novel coronavirus that originated there. Most, but not all. Some have kept special reserved carriages, occupied by experts heading into the middle of the quarantine zone -- not to its clinics or hospitals, but to Yangtze Memory Technologies, China's most high-profile memory chip project.

"You have to present special permits from both local and central governments, and medical proof that you are healthy when you board the train. You will then be arranged in a special carriage, along with other people who are also returning to work in strategic industries such as semiconductors," a person briefed on the process told the Nikkei Asian Review.

"Yes, don't be surprised. The train will stop at Wuhan for you."

Beginning in February, Yangtze Memory sent cars to the station to pick up groups of staff, depositing them at a self-quarantine dormitory for a week before they were allowed to enter the main working area, sources close to the project told Nikkei.

These secret trips, which have not yet been reported, brought volunteer employees back to the center of the epidemic to relieve some 300 engineers who had been working on rotating shifts at the factory since the shutdown began. Many were young professionals under the age of 30, who were originally assigned to cover the Lunar New Year but then became stranded at the facility. For more than a month, they labored to keep the plant running.

"They are banned from leaving the company campus and are under massive pressure. ... Most of them work more than 10-12 hours a day and are on call all the time," said an industry source familiar with the matter. The government also lifted labor regulations to allow employees to work more than the mandatory cap of 36 hours overtime a month….

Long article, but worth reading in full.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    eristdoof said:

welshowl said:

My neighbour has just said to me (over the hedge, 2 metres apart) that he reckons there's something they aren't telling us.
    "They" are all fundamentally "B" Ark people anyway.

Agreed.

It seemed to me that many people were willing the problem to burn out quicker than it really is/was, with statements along the lines of 'the new cases in Italy are getting a bit less exponential'
    eristdoof said:

welshowl said:

I heard the Lizard People can't catch it....
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:
    It seems to be HCQ (Plaquenil) that is the common factor. The NHS has my dad on HCQ and Kaletra.

Unlike in China, where the government doesn't have to worry about the public, here the government can't win. Days of why aren't the schools closed, we are waiting until the optimal time, but they should be closed, we demand it, ok they are closed from Friday, U-TURNNNNNNN...outrageous the government have closed schools, its so unfair.

Not really.
    I've been saying for a couple of weeks they should close schools, and am relieved they've got around to it.

eristdoof said:

welshowl said:

I heard the Lizard People can't catch it....
    David Icke was on some show yesterday talking about coronavirus. No idea what he said, but I presume it included talk of the Lizard People.
    edited March 2020
    Nigelb said:

Not really.
    I've been saying for a couple of weeks they should close schools, and am relieved they've got around to it.
    Have you turned on the news today...its wall to wall people complaining about the closures.

And after all the stuff about the country should be locked down, when they lock down London this weekend, it will be the same.
    Charles said:

Foxy said:
    It seems to be HCQ (Plaquenil) that is the common factor. The NHS has my dad on HCQ and Kaletra.
    Your Dad has the virus, or taking for other reasons?
    GIN1138 said:

Guess that's only happened because China has locked down their country for weeks though? And of course no one knows if it will flare up again when the restrictions are lifted...
    They'll find out soon enough, and will no doubt reintroduce control measures if it does.
    It's not pretty, but they are capable of responses we can't really emulate.

I suspect, though, that even partial quarantine/lockdowns are more effective than we fear - particularly if backed by a steady increase in testing.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,850
    edited March 2020
    Re; an earlier comment about the Chinese government shutting down live animal markets and chinese medicine ; Chinese medicine, at least in its herbal varieties, can be effective. Many Western pharmaceutical companies have taken Chinese herbal combinations for use in anti-malarial drugs, for instance - and it's apparently anti-malarial drugs that are one of those showing some potential in this case. It would be ironic, if that's the right word, if chinese herbal prescriptions became one of the only ways of dealing with what may be the ill-advised consequences of using animals in other parts of chinese medicine.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,141
    edited March 2020
    Over 17000 cases in Spain now - 25% increase in 24 hours acc. to RTVE. Gulp!

Nigelb said:

Not really.
    Have you turned on the news today...its wall to wall people complaining about the closures.

And after all the stuff about the country should be locked down, when they lock down London this weekend, it will be the same.
    Sky reporting that London supermarkets are asking for police protection in the event of lockdown.

Agreed.

We have locked down. Far more prematurely in the viruses development than when China did theirs.

I’m not ready to draw too many lessons just yet.

Except with Brexit.

You're the only person on this site (the only one) still totally obsessed by it.

That makes you a real fanatic and weirdo.
    It's the British government that has decided that pandemics do not alter its timetable, ready or not. As if Britain won't have had enough disruption by then.

But the nut-nut Leavers adamantly refuse to condemn that insane priority.
    I will give my answer for the third time.

You've ignored it the other two times because it doesn't fit with your agenda.

Transition WILL be extended.

But it is idiotic to announce it now - you will get the likes of Farage and a wing of the Brexiteers pushing back against the government.

Right now we need to be collaborating.

So why create a problem when you don't need to?

May is at least 6 weeks away. I hope that by then we will be enjoying the long evenings in beer gardens and going on holidays again. But no-one is going to be credibly saying "well that was all a fuss abouth nothing!"
    Charles said:

I’m not ready to draw too many lessons just yet.

Except with Brexit.

You're the only person on this site (the only one) still totally obsessed by it.

That makes you a real fanatic and weirdo.
    It's the British government that has decided that pandemics do not alter its timetable, ready or not. As if Britain won't have had enough disruption by then.

But the nut-nut Leavers adamantly refuse to condemn that insane priority.
    I will give my answer for the third time.

You've ignored it the other two times because it doesn't fit with your agenda.

Transition WILL be extended.

But it is idiotic to announce it now - you will get the likes of Farage and a wing of the Brexiteers pushing back against the government.

Right now we need to be collaborating.

So why create a problem when you don't need to?
    Everyone who isn't an obsessive is on the same page.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,141

Nigelb said:

Not really.

As everyone predicted. And as many of us keep saying - no right answers - just less wrong.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,622
    edited March 2020

DavidL said:

Could be the Chinese recovery too.
    The markets are doing their best around the resistance of 5000/20000. I wonder whether we will see something of a recovery, at least in the short term.

Some investors must be hunting about looking for companies that aren’t going to be hit too badly and that will bounce back fast.
    felix said:

DavidL said:

The implications of this virus are spreading ever wider and it is genuinely challenging to stay on the front foot. Yesterday's decisions about schools had not been thought through so far as exams and University entrance is concerned, the previous days announcements had not been thought through in relation to tenants, the details of how gig workers are going to get paid are clearly a work in progress.

None of this is a criticism of a government working under the most extraordinary pressure. Its just a fact that this is like nothing we have seen for a very long time. Some patience is going to be required.

And most importantly a variety of mistakes are being made daily in every country - including many we're not yet aware of for precisely the reason you state.
    But as the WHO guy said that if you need to be right before you move you will never win.
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,843

China: for the first time since the beginning of the outbreak, there have been 0 new cases in Wuhan and in the Hubei province, and no new and no existing suspected cases in Wuhan and in Hubei.

34 new cases, 8 new deaths (all in Hubei), and 819 new discharges occurred in China on March 18, as reported by the National Health Commission (NHC) of China.

Ah ok thanks - that's good news.
    You think so?

No new cases (if true) can only have been done by super rigid isolation measures. These cannot be lifted or cases will just take off again. China may possibly have the culture and state actors to enforce the level required, but here?

Happy to be corrected but one way or another most of us are going to have to catch this disease unless we get a vaccine, but that will be a year away and probably more. So this just means the lid has been clamped tight for now.

I can only see a horrible balancing act of "allowing" a manageable number of infections, with control measures strict enough to keep that number low enough so the NHS is not overwhelmed. Looks like that balance is found with much tighter restrictions than we first thought, and the timescale involved is going to be very long. Look at Italy, so far they have gone for isolation max and still have not got it under control (although the 14 days timescale will be key to fully judge this - hopefully their numbers will start to fall).

We will be Italy soon surely though. Grim
    If the isolation measures are continued for a month or so after the last new local cases, wouldn't that mean the virus has effectively died out? Restrictions then slowly eased off, to monitor initial results, with restrictions only being lifted in stages. All foreign arrivals screened and tested, and in the early days maybe even quarantined automatically.

Nigelb said:

Not really.

Sky reporting that London supermarkets are asking for police protection in the event of lockdown.
    I am glad I am nowhere near London, because despite the twitterati demanding a lockdown, I don't think people are going to take to it as well as in China.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Endillion said:

"They" are all fundamentally "B" Ark people anyway.

If you're sat between Gavin Williamson and Chris Grayling you know you're on the escape ship that's going to be fired into the sun.
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,389

Agreed.

We have locked down. Far more prematurely in the viruses development than when China did theirs.
    I was downtown this morning after dropping my son at school. It was deserted. I went into the butchers and bakers (our candlemaker unfortunately closed down) and paid by contactless and left. Shops are going to really struggle to keep their existing staff levels with the custom they are getting.

Nigelb said:

Not really.

Of course.
    People express their fears and worries, and different people have different opinions. In times of crisis, anything but the clearest communication exacerbates worries.

It will pass.
    felix said:

Nigelb said:

Not really.

As everyone predicted. And as many of us keep saying - no right answers - just less wrong.
    I am particularly sick of the media, find an edge case and then bang on about ad infinitum. They are smart, they know there is no right answer to this, the situation is rapidly evolving and decisions are being made hourly. Yes they have an overall plan, but as we saw with the new Imperial modeling, new data comes in and requires massive adjustments.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,164
    Probably an idiot boss, but does depend a bit on the firm, if they are making hand sanitisers it should be all hands to the pump.
    DavidL said:

Agreed.

I was downtown this morning after dropping my son at school. It was deserted. I went into the butchers and bakers (our candlemaker unfortunately closed down) and paid by contactless and left. Shops are going to really struggle to keep their existing staff levels with the custom they are getting.
    When I drove my daughter to school this morning and picked her up last night it was noteworthy just how empty the streets were of traffic. The drive home last night took 10 minutes less than it normally takes.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012
    Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Gordon actually very sensible on R4.

Let’s be honest, he understands this stuff much better than Boris.

Rishi is impressive, but so far he’s letting hundreds of thousands of jobs go to the wall, while sick-in-the-head loyalists like HYUFD advocate broth.

I really don`t think is is right or accurate to be party-political over this.

HYUFD is an excellent poster on this site, and whether or not you agree with his ideology (of course he won`t agree with your similarly) his posts are usually just factual and his breadth and depth of knowledge on all things political, both present and historical, is simply astonishing.

Not often that you see someone say that HY's posts are "usually just factual", TBH
    We all get cross with one another on this site - and that is inevitable and fine. I just think HYUFD gets far more stick than is justified
    When he says things along the lines of "renters have been told they wont be evicted for a few months, what more do they want?" there isn't a stick long enough.
    If you pay the rent for renters the money goes to landlords, not to tenants and mortgage payments have been suspended not ended for 3 months too.

You are just partisan anti Tory
    Surely mortgage payments are only suspended where you have money issues, they are not going to suspend everyone's payments
    They will be suspended on request for everyone, presumably because the government has agreed this with the Council of Mortgage Lenders. Mortgage interest will still be charged, but deferred. If a repayment mortgage, then capital repayments will be similarly be deferred.

The effect is that either: 1) borrowers need to increase their payments further down the line to pay back these deferrals or 2) the term will be extended until the debt is fully repaid.

To be clear, no taxpayer money is being given to mortgage borrowers whatsoever - a lie that seems to be being promoted by those who rent.
    Thanks for that , I did not imagine I would get the option. Presume you need to contact your lender then.

DavidL said:

Agreed.

When I drove my daughter to school this morning and picked her up last night it was noteworthy just how empty the streets were of traffic. The drive home last night took 10 minutes less than it normally takes.
    And they are going to be even emptier once we are no longer doing the school runs.
    DavidL said:

Agreed.

Son of a friend is a store manager with one of the big supermarkets/ He reported, and it was passed on to us, that a woman tore into one of his cashiers for not sanitising her hands while checking out her purchases. Customer then took out her credit card, put it her mouth, while she did something else with her hands, then took the card from her mouth and handed it to the cashier.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Agreed.

And they are going to be even emptier once we are no longer doing the school runs.
    Indeed, I suspect most of the cars on the road at that time were school runs. Next week it will be a ghost town.
    DavidL said:

Agreed.

Went outside for a look at our market. Crowded, although people standing well part. So far as we could see, anyway.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,871

I don't believe a word that comes out of China. Obviously they aren't testing all, but I would expect even the numbers from official tests to be suppressed.

They are probably hoping they can get back to business as usual, and publishing poor numbers won't help that.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,998
    edited March 2020
    malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Rishi is impressive, but so far he’s letting hundreds of thousands of jobs go to the wall, while sick-in-the-head loyalists like HYUFD advocate broth.

HYUFD is an excellent poster on this site, and whether or not you agree with his ideology (of course he won`t agree with your similarly) his posts are usually just factual and his breadth and depth of knowledge on all things political, both present and historical, is simply astonishing.

Not often that you see someone say that HY's posts are "usually just factual", TBH
    We all get cross with one another on this site - and that is inevitable and fine. I just think HYUFD gets far more stick than is justified
    When he says things along the lines of "renters have been told they wont be evicted for a few months, what more do they want?" there isn't a stick long enough.
    If you pay the rent for renters the money goes to landlords, not to tenants and mortgage payments have been suspended not ended for 3 months too.

Surely mortgage payments are only suspended where you have money issues, they are not going to suspend everyone's payments
    They will be suspended on request for everyone, presumably because the government has agreed this with the Council of Mortgage Lenders. Mortgage interest will still be charged, but deferred. If a repayment mortgage, then capital repayments will be similarly be deferred.

The effect is that either: 1) borrowers need to increase their payments further down the line to pay back these deferrals or 2) the term will be extended until the debt is fully repaid.

To be clear, no taxpayer money is being given to mortgage borrowers whatsoever - a lie that seems to be being promoted by those who rent.
    Thanks for that , I did not imagine I would get the option. Presume you need to contact your lender then.
    Yes, and I would expect them to be extremely understanding of your position - they may offer you a longer "holiday" than they are obliged to do.

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Another day, another lot of whining from the media. Oh schools are shut but why haven’t they told us how the precious dears are going to get their exam results yet? Why must everything be instant? This insatiable appetite for knowing everything now is bordering on the absurd.

Yes it is - though understand that my daughter (and many other children) is distraught that the GCSEs that she has worked so hard towards will not not happen when planned.
    Yes, my lad is in the same position. Contrary to what you might expect, he and most of his pals are not at all happy about their GCSEs being cancelled. As I have said before, we will owe our youth a large debt of gratitude for the sacrifices they are making for the sake of their grandparents.
    What are you hearing is the likely outcome? GCSEs put back to September?
    Absolutely no idea - better ask one of the teachers on here! Among the kids, the expectation (and worry!) is that their grades will be based on their mock exam results and/or teacher assessments. Hopefully my lad will know more when he gets back from school today.
    That was what the various talking heads were saying on R4 Today. No exams. Based on predicted grades, with a right to redress.

My son has very good grades, but had flu and his grandmother die right in the middle of his mocks. So not ideal.
    Without boasting, I got the best 'A' Level grades of my year, but had hitherto been written off as a failure by the teachers. So not a good thing if it will be based on the bias of teachers with their favourite students.
    It can work the other way - my son was predicted to get certain grades last year - he didnt get them in all subjects because he didn't do well in the exams

He would have had a better result this way in all probability

Bottom line nothing is going to be perfect and we will all have to make the best of it
    There is a strong correlation between expected and actual grades, but it is a far from perfect science. There are also a lot of students who convince themselves that they can turn a D in the mock into an A in the summer; almost all of them are wrong.

There is no easy solution. For A-levels I would go with UCAS predictions as they are already known, but that won’t help with GCSE students and those not applying to university. Some schools also have a habit of over predicting, so it seems a shame to reward them.

I cannot think of any solution which will not cause a huge fuss.
    Many don't realise though and do badly in mocks and then pull their socks up and put in the effort. Back in olden times I failed all 8 of my subjects at prelims but then did a bit of work and skooshed all of the actual exams and that in the day when they were real exams and no passes for getting 10%.

I don't believe a word that comes out of China. Obviously they aren't testing all, but I would expect even the numbers from official tests to be suppressed.

They are probably hoping they can get back to business as usual, and publishing poor numbers won't help that.
    I think that's about as likely as lizard people.

I don't trust China but I think they're desperate to avoid any chance of a new outbreak happening there and aren't taking any chances.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,507
    Sadly the much vaunted small business loans scheme is NOT 100% guaranteed by govt, only 80%, and each lender is subject to a lending cap.

The rumours that the 20% non-guaranteed element requires security from the business seems to be true.

A very disappointing effort unless the government makes some very quick revisions.
    Floater said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

That would make sense Malc

My employer still paying me - save the money for people who need it - it will go further then too
    I am amazed it is not that , but assume benefit of doing it as blanket option is it saves a lot of time and administration in proving you are broke or not and so let people get relief quicker. As the lenders will make out of it in long term I presume they will be happy to do it for all.

I don't trust China but I think they're desperate to avoid any chance of a new outbreak happening there and aren't taking any chances.
    I'd agree with that.
    The Chinese government are very practiced liars, but unlike Trump, they are smart, rather than compulsive liars.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2020

What the virus crisis teaches us:
    1. The world is complex and interconnected.
    2. There are no easy solutions.
    3. Experts are absolutely essential.
    4. The market does not have all the answers.
    5. The state is a force for good.
    6. Populism is a fake prospectus.
    7. Solidarity wins.
    Discuss.

Sounds a bit like ‘I was right all along’ to me

I’ll join in

8. Capitalism, globalisation and air travel come at a cost that people who profited from it didn’t want to believe

9. Open borders spread diseases
    isam said:

7. Solidarity wins.
    Discuss.

I’ll join in

8. Capitalism, globalisation and air travel come at a cost that people who profited from it didn’t want to believe
    Externalities count, after all.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,267
    malcolmg said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Another day, another lot of whining from the media. Oh schools are shut but why haven’t they told us how the precious dears are going to get their exam results yet? Why must everything be instant? This insatiable appetite for knowing everything now is bordering on the absurd.

Yes it is - though understand that my daughter (and many other children) is distraught that the GCSEs that she has worked so hard towards will not not happen when planned.
    Yes, my lad is in the same position. Contrary to what you might expect, he and most of his pals are not at all happy about their GCSEs being cancelled. As I have said before, we will owe our youth a large debt of gratitude for the sacrifices they are making for the sake of their grandparents.
    Absolutely no idea - better ask one of the teachers on here! Among the kids, the expectation (and worry!) is that their grades will be based on their mock exam results and/or teacher assessments. Hopefully my lad will know more when he gets back from school today.
    That was what the various talking heads were saying on R4 Today. No exams. Based on predicted grades, with a right to redress.

My son has very good grades, but had flu and his grandmother die right in the middle of his mocks. So not ideal.
    Without boasting, I got the best 'A' Level grades of my year, but had hitherto been written off as a failure by the teachers. So not a good thing if it will be based on the bias of teachers with their favourite students.
    It can work the other way - my son was predicted to get certain grades last year - he didnt get them in all subjects because he didn't do well in the exams

Bottom line nothing is going to be perfect and we will all have to make the best of it
    There is a strong correlation between expected and actual grades, but it is a far from perfect science. There are also a lot of students who convince themselves that they can turn a D in the mock into an A in the summer; almost all of them are wrong.

There is no easy solution. For A-levels I would go with UCAS predictions as they are already known, but that won’t help with GCSE students and those not applying to university. Some schools also have a habit of over predicting, so it seems a shame to reward them.

Many don't realise though and do badly in mocks and then pull their socks up and put in the effort. Back in olden times I failed all 8 of my subjects at prelims but then did a bit of work and skooshed all of the actual exams and that in the day when they were real exams and no passes for getting 10%.
    Many students think they can do that: far fewer actually do.

I’ve very rarely seen anyone do much worse in the real thing though, apart from some exceptional circumstances.

One positive thing from this would be getting students to take their mocks more seriously I suppose, but at much too high a cost.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,221
    Nigelb said:

I'd agree with that.
    The Chinese government are very practiced liars, but unlike Trump, they are smart, rather than compulsive liars.
    so does that make them better or worse people to deal with ?
    The Guardian is reporting on the now published Windrush report. Says
    'In a scathing report on the way British citizens were wrongly deported, dismissed from their jobs and deprived of services such as the NHS, the department is blamed for operating a “culture of disbelief and carelessness”. And the long-awaited investigation concludes that the failings “are consistent with some elements of the definition of institutional racism”."
    "
    Priti Patel says that she is 'truly sorry'.

Doesn't, at this stage, say what she's going to do about it, though.

Travel insurance? Now?

everything so far points to it lasting much longer on paper/cardboard etc, so best to not touch it , store safely for suitable period and you have a new loo roll.
    edited March 2020

Nigelb said:

I'd agree with that.
    so does that make them better or worse people to deal with ?
    Yes. :smile:

Good, because they are rational; bad, because a rational adversary is a stronger adversary.
    Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Yes, and I would expect them to be extremely understanding of your position - they may offer you a longer "holiday" than they are obliged to do.
    I am still getting paid and far from skint but would happily defer and pay it in the distant future
  • DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    Is 20% security for a loan really all that bad?

Sounds like a reasonable compromise rather than just giving free money out to every business in the country, some of which might have gone bust anyway.
    malcolmg said:

Travel insurance? Now?

everything so far points to it lasting much longer on paper/cardboard etc, so best to not touch it , store safely for suitable period and you have a new loo roll.
    Hmmm. Thanks for that. Might well cancel deliveries.
    isam said:

7. Solidarity wins.
    Discuss.

I’ll join in

People moving around spread diseases, not borders. The virus really doesnt care if someone goes from Durham to Southampton or Paris to Frankfurt. (Accept that air travel may be worse for spreading the disease than other long distance transport (bar cruises!))
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,922

malcolmg said:

Travel insurance? Now?

I think 72 hours will cover it comfortably, so you can read the paper 3 days out of date.
  • spire2spire2 Posts: 183
    I feel quite encouraged watching this press conference. the experts don't seem to be calling for further enforcement
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    isam said:

7. Solidarity wins.
    Discuss.

I’ll join in

8 is undoubtedly true and I would add that a lot of people have benefited from globalisation but do not want to believe they have. I am not sure about 9. People spread diseases.

Sadly the much vaunted small business loans scheme is NOT 100% guaranteed by govt, only 80%, and each lender is subject to a lending cap.

The rumours that the 20% non-guaranteed element requires security from the business seems to be true.

A very disappointing effort unless the government makes some very quick revisions.

Most of the business that will be at risk will be financially better off closing down, not paying employees or creditors, get released from rental commitments and re-opening under a different name than getting involved with these loans. Pathetic from the govt if they promise whatever it takes and offer nothing substantial but try and put a big number out there to make supporters think they are helping.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Lloyd's of London has announced that its Underwriting Room will close at the end of today and all staff to continue working remotely.

Given that business is still conducted face to face, this is probably long overdue and should both help contain the spread and reducing the number of people using public transport in and out of Bank station (and London Bridge, and Liverpool St) at key times.

As far as I know, this is unprecedented. and the first time the Room has been closed for any length of time since the 17th century.

malcolmg said:

Travel insurance? Now?

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces
    MattW said:

malcolmg said:

Travel insurance? Now?

I think 72 hours will cover it comfortably, so you can read the paper 3 days out of date.
    I have taken to removing the front page/back page, then washing my hands thoroughly and reading the rest.

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Many students think they can do that: far fewer actually do.

I’ve very rarely seen anyone do much worse in the real thing though, apart from some exceptional circumstances.

One positive thing from this would be getting students to take their mocks more seriously I suppose, but at much too high a cost.
    I went from a U to an A in one of my A-Levels, still maintain they were of a similar standard but got a 0 for one essay as the teacher thought I was taking the piss. I say she was taking the piss with her marking.
    spire2 said:

I feel quite encouraged watching this press conference. the experts don't seem to be calling for further enforcement

Is there one now? I thought 5pm was Virus Update Time.
    Endillion said:

Lloyd's of London has announced that its Underwriting Room will close at the end of today and all staff to continue working remotely.

Given that business is still conducted face to face, this is probably long overdue and should both help contain the spread and reducing the number of people using public transport in and out of Bank station (and London Bridge, and Liverpool St) at key times.

As far as I know, this is unprecedented. and the first time the Room has been closed for any length of time since the 17th century.

What about during the wars?

spire2 said:

Is there one now? I thought 5pm was Virus Update Time.
    Science press conference with the 2 boffins no politicians.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207
    Endillion said:

To be fair loads of underwriters had already transitioned to WAH for the duration
This discussion has been closed.