Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Back in the world of political betting Biden confirms that his

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,487

Schools staying open? How the feck does that fit with avoiding unnecessary journeys and gatherings?

Schools might not be considered unnecessary gatherings?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,763

My parents are both in their seventies. I normally visit them every other weekend, but I suppose that's now out the window for a while.

I live with my mum. She's 70+. :open_mouth:
    Either leave home now or spend the next 3 months at home.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,207
    edited March 2020
    Biden already has the black vote sewn up, if he wants to win over progressive voters who backed Sanders Warren might be a better choice
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,982
    DavidL said:

There is nowhere near enough on what people are supposed to do regarding getting paid. If this continues for 4 weeks there will be 10 million people not working.

I honestly think that we are going to need an updated statement from the Chancellor. His budget already seems to be addressing a different world from the one we have. Our businesses need cash injections so that they can (a) keep trading lawfully and (b) keep paying their workforce to help overall demand. This is becoming increasingly urgent.

Either this is addressed or we face a sustained depression, with all the consequences that brings. Ideally, we need coordinated international action at the government and central bank level. Trump ad the US cannot be trusted to be a part of that, but others can. Something Europe-wide surely has to be the focus.

• Options

There is nowhere near enough on what people are supposed to do regarding getting paid. If this continues for 4 weeks there will be 10 million people not working.

Sick pay if they cannot work at home which the Budget guaranteed
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,539

MrEd said:

eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

"1111 new cases and 1 new death in Germany"

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

binary outcome in Germany
    Their figures are really weird and getting weirder. 6,924 cases and 14 deaths? They should have 4-5x that, minimum, probably many more at this stage since many cases unfortunately end quickly with an early death weighting the fatality higher at the start. France has 1500 fewer cases and 127 deaths.

They are either doing something very right or they are using different criteria for recording deaths than anyone else.
    I have no idea why this is either.
    If they are only reporting COVID-19 primary cause of deaths that would be a dishonest way of reporting, and IMO does not sound like the German way of doing things.

My opinion about a week ago was that the higher numbers of ICU beds was meaning they could keep the critical cases alive for longer. The extreme diference in cases to deaths is now so large I doubt if that can be the explanation.
    Here is another theory I will throw in (with no scientific knowledge or background to provide any evidence) namely certain populations are more prone to the cytokine storm effect, which seems to be killing many of the Covid 19 victims. Germany has very low numbers of deaths but so do Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Iceland given their cases.

Germany + Austria + Norway + Denmark + Sweden + Iceland = 11711 cases, 54 serious / critical cases, 31 deaths

Spain = 9,428 cases, 272 serious / critical, 335 deaths

France = 5,423 cases, 400 serious / critical, 127 deaths (as of yesterday)
    Could it be to do with climate? Maybe covid-19 doesn't like it too hot (India, Malaysia, Africa, etc.) or too cold (Nordic countries).
    India 114 cases, 2 deaths.
    Malaysia 566 cases, 0 deaths.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021

RobD said:

nico67 said:

Please tell me this government will realize that it has to extend the transition period . How will new infrastructure be done in time now . On both sides of the Channel that’s now an issue .

And if a deal can’t be reached in time are you going to force business to go to WTO after the catastrophe of this virus .

Surely they must realize that most people will understand if there’s an extension to the transition . It’s a shame this government didn’t stop playing to the gallery by putting that clause forbidding an extension into its legislation.

If the Commons shuts down how do you change that .

I mean there's going to be zero cross-border trade in a few weeks. A perfect time to leave the EU with zero disruption. :)
    Yes, of course. Perpetuating the CV-induced complete lockdown until the end of time is a brilliant proposal, Mr Cummings.
    A particularly cunning plan. :D
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Corbyn going to be self isolated by the weekend

The only positive thing in this dreadful crisis

So who will be leading Labour in the meanwhile?

Although, TBF, if they put my fat lazy old tomcat in as caretaker he would probably do a better job...
    McDonnell seems to be on 24/7
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,763
    ydoethur said:

Schools staying open? How the feck does that fit with avoiding unnecessary journeys and gatherings?

We are not in normal times.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

The Penny Drops. Why is it advice rather than order?

1. I order you not to go to the pub. Pub shuts down and claims on insurance.
    2. I ask you not to go to pub. Pub shuts down due to lack of trade, can't claim in insurance

This would be an act of god, surely?
    If the government orders a shut down thats very different to choosing a voluntary shut down.
    It is, but under what clause in any insurance policy ever issued is it an insured event? How would the clause be worded?
    This is quite wrong, and too late to edit it

"Civil Authority Ingress / Egress. Government-mandated closure of business premises that directly causes loss of revenue.[3] Examples include forced business closures because of government-issued curfews or street closures related to a covered event."

is something standardly covered by Business Interruption Insurance, says wiki. What proportion of businesses have such cover is a question, of course.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    On the vaccine question we got the feeling they were warming us up for the idea that one might not becoming.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    All these reduced flights are soon going to be affecting international trade. It's important at this stage to know what proportion of goods to europe are coming in by ship, and what proportion by air.
  • Options

Oh, well! Bang go my journeys on the Kyle Line and Far North Line up in Scotland.

And the Sunday-only Dale Rail in Lancashire.

And checking out the openings of the Trafford Branch on Metrolink, Wolverhampton Station tram extension and Blackpool North Station tram extension.

:(

• Options

All these reduced flights are soon going to be significantly affecting international trade. It's important at this stage to know what proportion of goods to europe are coming in by ship, and what proportion by air.

Flight radar app seems to indicate air freight is still flying
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    I still can’t find out what was said about those with underlying conditions? I couldn’t watch the announcement and can’t find anything in the initial reports.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sick pay is not enough in this crisis
  • Options
    edited March 2020

All these reduced flights are soon going to be significantly affecting international trade. It's important at this stage to know what proportion of goods to europe are coming in by ship, and what proportion by air.

Do any significant proportion of goods come with passenger aircraft, too ? I always thought mail did, for instance, but someone tells me not.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,405

It’s pretty clear what we all should be doing. There is no big difference between advise and order here. If you can stay in, that’s what you should do. End of story. We should not have to waste police time on enforcing this. We should be grown up enough to do it.

It was never going to be compulsory and policed. If we ever do that we will know it is potentially the apocalypse.
  • Options

Do any significant proportion of goods come with passenger aircraft too ? I always thought mail did, for instance, but someone tells me not.
    I am not sure
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

ydoethur said:

Closing schools might make the virus spread more, as kids are scattered into playdates, child care facilities and work places. Allowing the parents who can actually keep them home to do so while keeping them open for others might be the right balance.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

India 114 cases, 2 deaths.
    Malaysia 566 cases, 0 deaths.

The Malaysian number is kinda similar to us taking into acct population (ie lot lower than most of Europe). The India number though - that's insanely tiny.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Do any significant proportion of goods come with passenger aircraft too ? I always thought mail did, for instance, but someone tells me not.
    I am not sure
    There is a fair amount of air cargo but that would not be a lot of the overall bulk transported.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,450
    ukpaul said:

I still can’t find out what was said about those with underlying conditions? I couldn’t watch the announcement and can’t find anything in the initial reports.

They said the detail was on the website. PHE in this case, I think.
  • Options
    53 UK deaths
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Tim_B said:

Because he's off his tits on drugs to stay awake...?

https://twitter.com/docrussjackson/status/1239177198755549184?s=19

Because he can see something crawling out of her ear? Or because he's Joe Biden in disguise?
    As long as he doesn't try to grab her Donald Trump style.
  • Options
    WOW the latest twitter exchange between New York Governor and Trump.

That man is insane (no, not the Governor)
  • Options

53 UK deaths

Source ?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Gabs3 said:

ydoethur said:

Closing schools might make the virus spread more, as kids are scattered into playdates, child care facilities and work places. Allowing the parents who can actually keep them home to do so while keeping them open for others might be the right balance.
    Plus NHS staff with kids can no longer come into work, plus elderly parents being pressed into childcare duty increasing their risk of infection.

These are multi-faceted problems with no simple solution, no silver bullet. Judgements are being made to balance the various factors. Some will be right, some will be wrong. Naively of not, I do genuinely believe the government has the right people looking at this*, and are trying to do the right thing.

* Dominic Cummings can do one, however.
  • Options
    Passengers on Braemar to be flown back to UK from Cuba on wednesday
  • Options
    Philadelphia shutting down "all non essential businesses"
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,397

HYUFD said:

Buckle up. The financial ride will be bumpier than the medical one.
  • Options
    Surely letting people engage in the occasional minor act of rebellion against the lockdown must help reduce the chance of a major uprising against it?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    edited March 2020
    My mothers got two shows coming up at the local theater (one at the end of this month and one in April)

Wonder if she'll be able to get her money back on the tickets?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,388
    edited March 2020

Passengers on Braemar to be flown back to UK from Cuba on wednesday

Confirmed by my friend who is on it. He has no idea if he will be further quarantined... nor where he is being flown back to...
  • Options
    Dow down nearly 10% - 20911 - 9.80%
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302

53 UK deaths

Source ?
    Hancock in the HoC
  • Options
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

Buckle up. The financial ride will be bumpier than the medical one.
    We may need social as well as financial changes. The divisive rhetoric about welfare of the last 40 years may have to go, for the sake of the economy and collective wellbeing if nothing else.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909

Right. I’d better order in beer for home.

Order in?
  • Options
    Foss said:

Surely letting people engage in the occasional minor act of rebellion against the lockdown must help reduce the chance of a major uprising against it?

Thanx Baby Jesus, for the 2nd amendment.
  • Options

53 UK deaths

Source ?
    Matt Hancock, the health secretary, says to MPs:

The disease is now accelerating and 53 people have sadly now died. Our hearts across the whole House go out to their families

Our policy is to fight this virus with everything we’ve got.
  • Options

53 UK deaths

Source ?
    Sky
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Fenster said:

I can only think that the infection was there a while, got into hospitals where nurses etc caught it (without knowing) and spread it to lots of already very ill people!?

Very sad indeed.

That makes perfect sense, aloong with the very low morbidity rate for S Korea, Nordic countries where presumably plenty of healthy young people with ILI have been tested.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2020

Do any significant proportion of goods come with passenger aircraft, too ? I always thought mail did, for instance, but someone tells me not.
    Yes, a large proportion.

Edit: See here (15.56)

However Elizabeth de Jong the FTA’s UK policy advisor are concerned about the sharp reduction in flights warning that 70% of freight is transported on passenger planes including critical pharmaceuticals, scientific equipment, some food and flowers.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/16/coronavirus-live-updates-us-cdc-events-europe-lockdown-uk-deaths-australia-france-italy-spain-update-latest-news
  • Options
    From an acquaintance:
    Just got off a Goldman Sachs Investee call where 1,500 companies dialed in. The key economic takeaways were:

50% of Americans will contract the virus (150m people) as it's very communicable. This is on a par with the common cold (Rhinovirus) of which there are about 200 strains and which the majority of Americans will get 2-4 per year.

70% of Germany will contract it (58M people). This is the next most relevant industrial economy to be effected.

Peak-virus is expected over the next eight weeks, declining thereafter.

Mortality rate on average of up to 2%, heavily weight towards the elderly and immunocompromised; meaning up to 3m people (150m*.02). In the US about 3m/yr die mostly due to old age and disease, those two being highly correlated (as a percent very few from accidents). There will be significant overlap, so this does not mean 3m new deaths from the virus, it means elderly people dying sooner due to respiratory issues. This may however stress the healthcare system.

There is a debate as to how to address the virus pre-vaccine. The US is tending towards quarantine. The UK is tending towards allowing it to spread so that the population can develop a natural immunity. Quarantine is likely to be ineffective and result in significant economic damage but will slow the rate of transmission giving the healthcare system more time to deal with the case load.

China’s economy has been largely impacted which has affected raw materials and the global supply chain. It may take up to six months for it to recover.

Global GDP growth rate will be the lowest in 30 years at around 2%.

There will be economic damage from the virus itself, but the real damage is driven mostly by market psychology. Viruses have been with us forever. Stock markets should fully recover in the 2nd half of the year.

Technically the market generally has been looking for a reason to reset after the longest bull market in history.

There is NO systemic risk. No one is even talking about that. Governments are intervening in the markets to stabilize them, and the private banking sector is very well capitalized. It feels more like 9/11 than it does like 2008.
  • Options

Yes, a large proportion.
    Food ?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

My parents are both in their seventies. I normally visit them every other weekend, but I suppose that's now out the window for a while.

I live with my mum. She's 70+. :open_mouth:
    Either leave home now or spend the next 3 months at home.
    He’s left it a bit late to leave home
  • Options
    Either the government undertakes to keep UK businesses going during this unprecedented health emergency - and their employees in work - or we face a sustained depression once it is over. This is a huge test for Boris Johnson. Let Hancock handle the health issues, the PM has an economy to save. Will he, can he do it?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,057
    Rachel Johnson in today's Times:

"Doing what we are told not to do has always been a family trait."
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Well, I may have gone to the office for the last time today.
  • Options

Yes, a large proportion.
    Food ?
    Some, yes.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    Stocky said:

Are oldies who normally get a regular blood tests for warfarin allowed out?

My mother is in a care home and last Friday they banned all visitors indefinitely. It is my parents` wedding anniversary on Wednesday. My mum and dad will not see each other on their anniversary for the first time ever. When I drive four hours to go down to see them at the weekend, I shall only be able to see my father, despite it being Mother`s Day.

They have taken this action off their own bat, no legal compulsion to do it. They are, in effect, keeping my mother captive. I rang to express my concern today. After the manager predictably and understandably expressed her wish to protect people (despite carers going in and out all day) she admitted that a key factor in their policy decision is that, in her words: "if the virus got into the care home it could wipe out our residents, and this would be bad for business!"

I applaud her honesty, I guess.
    Give me strength, if you really can't grasp that it is not a good idea to visit a care home in the current circumstances then there is little hope and the restrictions will become compulsory and more draconian. Missing 1 wedding anniversary and 1 mothers day right now is trivial.

I simply do not believe that the manager of a care home told you that they are trying to avoid Covid-19 spreading through a care home because it would be "bad for business". Are you prepared to name the care home?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Either the government undertakes to keep UK businesses going during this unprecedented health emergency - and their employees in work - or we face a sustained depression once it is over. This is a huge test for Boris Johnson. Let Hancock handle the health issues, the PM has an economy to save. Will he, can he do it?

I fear what might usually sound like hyperbole really isn't.
  • Options

Foss said:

What, exactly, would you expect the police and army to do with 500 unarmed men in Brixton during a hot summer's week that didn't result in running battles and blood on the streets?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Yes, a large proportion.
    Food ?
    Some, yes.
    Sorry to keep at this, but if you're aware of the particular background of this, any specific category of food that will have social implications ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,559
    Anorak said:

From an acquaintance:
    Just got off a Goldman Sachs Investee call where 1,500 companies dialed in. The key economic takeaways were:

50% of Americans will contract the virus (150m people) as it's very communicable. This is on a par with the common cold (Rhinovirus) of which there are about 200 strains and which the majority of Americans will get 2-4 per year.

70% of Germany will contract it (58M people). This is the next most relevant industrial economy to be effected.

Mortality rate on average of up to 2%, heavily weight towards the elderly and immunocompromised; meaning up to 3m people (150m*.02). In the US about 3m/yr die mostly due to old age and disease, those two being highly correlated (as a percent very few from accidents). There will be significant overlap, so this does not mean 3m new deaths from the virus, it means elderly people dying sooner due to respiratory issues. This may however stress the healthcare system.

There is a debate as to how to address the virus pre-vaccine. The US is tending towards quarantine. The UK is tending towards allowing it to spread so that the population can develop a natural immunity. Quarantine is likely to be ineffective and result in significant economic damage but will slow the rate of transmission giving the healthcare system more time to deal with the case load.

China’s economy has been largely impacted which has affected raw materials and the global supply chain. It may take up to six months for it to recover.

There will be economic damage from the virus itself, but the real damage is driven mostly by market psychology. Viruses have been with us forever. Stock markets should fully recover in the 2nd half of the year.

Technically the market generally has been looking for a reason to reset after the longest bull market in history.

There is NO systemic risk. No one is even talking about that. Governments are intervening in the markets to stabilize them, and the private banking sector is very well capitalized. It feels more like 9/11 than it does like 2008.

That’s the sort of short-term heavy analysis you’d expect from a financier, unused to contemplating the longer term impact of systemic and cultural changes.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Floater said:

I am not sure
    There is a fair amount of air cargo but that would not be a lot of the overall bulk transported.

Floater said:

I am not sure

I think a lot of fruit veg etc from Spain comes in cheaply off the back of scheduled flights. Let me know when you run out of celery etc and I’ll. Post you some
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Yes, a large proportion.

However Elizabeth de Jong the FTA’s UK policy advisor are concerned about the sharp reduction in flights warning that 70% of freight is transported on passenger planes including critical pharmaceuticals, scientific equipment, some food and flowers.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/16/coronavirus-live-updates-us-cdc-events-europe-lockdown-uk-deaths-australia-france-italy-spain-update-latest-news
    Not much on short-haul; lots of long-haul.

Heathrow brings in about 1.5 million tonnes of cargo per year, despite handling very few freighters. The most of any UK airport by quite a way. For context, almost 500 million tonnes came in through seaports (and the tunnel).

EDIT: That's two-way cargo, but it will be weighted towards inbound as we import much more than we export in terms of physical goods. And services don't weigh much :)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909
    Floater said:

Shit will have to have Dairylea
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Yes, a large proportion.

Thanks. Yes, this is important. Governments will presumably then want help organise the logistics of a shift to freight as quickly as they can.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,814
    eadric said:

MrEd said:

eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

Their figures are really weird and getting weirder. 6,924 cases and 14 deaths? They should have 4-5x that, minimum, probably many more at this stage since many cases unfortunately end quickly with an early death weighting the fatality higher at the start. France has 1500 fewer cases and 127 deaths.

They are either doing something very right or they are using different criteria for recording deaths than anyone else.
    If they are only reporting COVID-19 primary cause of deaths that would be a dishonest way of reporting, and IMO does not sound like the German way of doing things.

My opinion about a week ago was that the higher numbers of ICU beds was meaning they could keep the critical cases alive for longer. The extreme diference in cases to deaths is now so large I doubt if that can be the explanation.
    Here is another theory I will throw in (with no scientific knowledge or background to provide any evidence) namely certain populations are more prone to the cytokine storm effect, which seems to be killing many of the Covid 19 victims. Germany has very low numbers of deaths but so do Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Iceland given their cases.

Germany + Austria + Norway + Denmark + Sweden + Iceland = 11711 cases, 54 serious / critical cases, 31 deaths

MrEd said:

eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

Consumption of olive oil?
    If your boyfriend was Popeye you'd drink a bit.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,214

I'm at home waiting for the group text telling us not to go in. Slightly surprised it's not arrived already...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Although, TBF, if they put my fat lazy old tomcat in as caretaker he would probably do a better job...
    I know he’s a little younger, but given his heart condition I would have thought he’s even more vulnerable.

Similarly Abbott with her diabetes.

You would have thought Thornberry therefore is the obvious person to front for Labour, but it doesn’t seem to be happening. Petty spite?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

You finally told your boss what you really think of him? :wink:
  • Options
    Foss said:

Foss said:

What, exactly, would you expect the police and army to do with 500 unarmed men in Brixton during a hot summer's week that didn't result in running battles and blood on the streets?
    Waiting for 'herd immunity' to set in.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Anorak said:

From an acquaintance:

That’s the sort of short-term heavy analysis you’d expect from a financier, unused to contemplating the longer term impact of systemic and cultural changes.
    It sounds extraordinarily credible and not at all like whistling in the dark.
  • Options

Yes, a large proportion.
    Food ?
    Some, yes.
    Sorry to keep at this, but if you're aware of the particular background of this, any specific category of food that will have social implications ?
    Avocados!

To be clear I'm not an expert on this, but presumably we're talking mainly about fruit and veg from Kenya, South Africa, Central and South America. Fairly low volumes on food, I would guess.

A bigger issue would be medical supplies.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Floater said:

Philadelphia has its own painful political decision-making history with the Spanish flu.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

nichomar said:

RobD said:

nichomar said:

We

It’s pretty clear what we all should be doing. There is no big difference between advise and order here. If you can stay in, that’s what you should do. End of story. We should not have to waste police time on enforcing this. We should be grown up enough to do it.

we should but are we? not everybody is like the Brits on holiday in Tenerife or Benidorm, a significant proportion of the population are selfish and stupid.
    Did you see the photos of how empty Waterloo was during rush hour this morning? The vast majority are getting the message.
    Let’s see what the clubs and pubs are like at the weekend
    One wonders how long the youth will go along with missing out on socialising for the sake of their elders. I've not been able to stop my own lad going to the gym (and risking infection), but then, as he says, he'd be more likely to catch it at school anyway.

Any youngster who is carrying on regardless because they believe the virus won't affect them clearly hasn't been paying attention to the economic implications.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    kinabalu said:

It was never going to be compulsory and policed. If we ever do that we will know it is potentially the apocalypse.
    I think we are just seeing a measured escalation of measures, getting people used to the ideas of restrictions, and then pushing them harder as and when.

Appreciate there are "logical types" who don't get this - and always want to go from A to Z in one jump. But that's not really appropriate or practical in a liberal democracy of 60 million.

I think Boris and the experts got the tone about right. And, of course, they can recalibrate on a day-to-day basis with the press conferences.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    DavidL said:

ukpaul said:

They said the detail was on the website. PHE in this case, I think.
    No detail, just mentions ‘some health issues’ and that’s worse than useless.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    Just watched the presser... I like what Boris says, we are grown ups, we shouldn’t have to be ordered by force of law to stay in when the government are more or less telling us it’s the only way to save lives. Honestly the press are like children
  • Options
    isam said:

Just watched the presser... I like what Boris says, we are grown ups, we shouldn’t have to be ordered by force of law to stay in when the government are more or less telling us it’s the only way to save lives. Honestly the press are like children

Rather different to most other countries where people are being threatened with arrest or being rounded up by the army.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I am afraid it will have to be, if you cannot work from home the government cannot afford to pay all other workers more than sick pay and a survival income for the next few months.

It is possible the government could suspend mortgage payments as Italy has or suspend evictions for non payment of rents as California has to cut peoples costs but it cannot afford to do more than that
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I know he’s a little younger, but given his heart condition I would have thought he’s even more vulnerable.

Similarly Abbott with her diabetes.

You would have thought Thornberry therefore is the obvious person to front for Labour, but it doesn’t seem to be happening. Petty spite?
    Probably and McDonnell is 68
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,173
    DavidL said:

Another 349 deaths in Italy today. And we are catching them up.

Deaths will be a very trailing indicator. I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

IanB2 said:

Anorak said:

From an acquaintance:

My gut reaction to this is that it is incredibly optimistic - global growth, not even recession. It strikes me as a very narrow look at the financial fundamentals, without considering social reactions and other 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc... order impacts.

Edit: that said, I hope it's correct.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Floater said:

53 UK deaths

Source ?
    Matt Hancock, the health secretary, says to MPs:

The disease is now accelerating and 53 people have sadly now died. Our hearts across the whole House go out to their families

Our policy is to fight this virus with everything we’ve got.
    From the more hopeful signs earlier in the day, that's now a worse performance in deaths if not severe cases than other northern countries. We're going to have to shift to being more mentally prepared, whatever the pattern of the disease may end up being here.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Andy_JS said:

isam said:

Rather different to most other countries where people are being threatened with arrest or being rounded up by the army.
    Situations like this remind us that there are some significant cultural differences between Britain and continental Europe, let alone Asia. We really don't get along well with seriously authoritarian measures outside of wartime.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

Anorak said:

From an acquaintance:

Yes, it's interesting but very limited in value. Just presumes America will shrug off 3 million extra deaths, and most of them in a short space of time?

Nations will be traumatised. They won't bounce back. Unless we find a good vaccine fear will rule behaviour for a long time, consumption will be subdued. So many things will change, lots of them we won't even be able to guess at

God will be back tho. Go long on church building and buy shares in hymnal printers.
    And folk simply won`t have the money available to invest. And without that money there will be insufficient demand to push prices back up to anywhere near previous levels (as the report suggests).
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yes if he request a national unity government.
    Asks Kier Starmer if he is elected Labour leader, Nicola Sturgeon, Sadiq Khan, Welsh and Ni leader, plus other mayors from the regions.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am afraid it will have to be, if you cannot work from home the government cannot afford to pay all other workers more than sick pay and a survival income for the next few months.

It is possible the government could suspend mortgage payments as Italy has or suspend evictions for non payment of rents as California has to cut peoples costs but it cannot afford to do more than that
    No it does not.

In this crisis sickness pay must be the equivalent to the workers weekly wage
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,559

The big take-away for me (that hasn't been leaked before) is the testing. They clearly are still community testing, ramping up capacity and there is going to be a big push on testing those that have had it.

I don't know if that is a U-Turn of a U-Turn or just the last press conference they didn't explain (deliberately or not) the plan in this regard.

It was announced by sturgeon after the first Cobra meeting; when the UK government finally got round to doing their post-Cobra press conference, they didn’t say much about it, and I don’t think any journalist was alert enough to ask.
  • Options
    Idris Elba tests positive.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    HYUFD said:

If anyone's struggling on the mortgage front, a number of providers are allowing payment holidays for a few months (not sure how many a few is, but might help someone).
  • Options
    All UK deaths have been people with underlying health conditions AFAIK.
  • Options
    TimT said:

IanB2 said:

Anorak said:

From an acquaintance:

My gut reaction to this is that it is incredibly optimistic - global growth, not even recession. It strikes me as a very narrow look at the financial fundamentals, without considering social reactions and other 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc... order impacts.

My Germanity may be the reason why the sarcastic intent of my comment was too sublime to be detected by you.
  • Options
    Even now, it seems many of us are in denial about just how big this crisis is economically. It's epochal. It's going to change everything. We won't get on top of it by hoping. We have to be proactive. And we have to accept that there will be a cost. A big one. If we don't, we're buggered.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it does not.

Impossible, it would bankrupt the country and given you will only be allowed out of the house for one food shop what are you going to spend it on anyway?
    As I said sick pay and maybe suspension of mortgage payments and evictions for non payment of rents for those who cannot work at home is about the best the government can do given this situation will likely last for months
  • Options

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

Anorak said:

From an acquaintance:

My Germanity may be the reason why the sarcastic intent of my comment was too sublime to be detected by you.
    Not just Germans, I frequently miss irony and sarcasm in posts. Without the vocal tones, it is way harder to pick up.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,624
    TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

isam said:

Situations like this remind us that there are some significant cultural differences between Britain and continental Europe, let alone Asia. We really don't get along well with seriously authoritarian measures outside of wartime.
    The old joke - what's the difference between Britain, Germany and Switzerland?

In Britain, if it's not prohibited, it's allowed.
    In Germany, if it's not allowed, it's prohibited.
    In Switzerland, if it's not prohibited, it's mandatory.
    :lol: I like that.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

Anorak said:

From an acquaintance:

Yes, it's interesting but very limited in value. Just presumes America will shrug off 3 million extra deaths, and most of them in a short space of time?

Nations will be traumatised. They won't bounce back. Unless we find a good vaccine fear will rule behaviour for a long time, consumption will be subdued. So many things will change, lots of them we won't even be able to guess at

God will be back tho. Go long on church building and buy shares in hymnal printers.
    Why believe in a God that created Coronaviruses?

• Options
    TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

isam said:

The old joke - what's the difference between Britain, Germany and Switzerland?

In Britain, if it's not prohibited, it's allowed.
    In Germany, if it's not allowed, it's prohibited.
    In Switzerland, if it's not prohibited, it's mandatory.
    In the United States everything is permitted, unless it is prohibited.
    In Germany everything is prohibited, unless it is permitted.
    In Italy, everything is permitted, Even what is prohibited.
    In the Soviet Union everything is prohibited, even what is permitted.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it does not.

Impossible, it would bankrupt the country and given you will only be allowed out of the house for one food shop what are you going to spend it on anyway?
    As I said sick pay and maybe suspension of mortgage payments and evictions for non payment of rents for those who cannot work at home is about the best the government can do given this situation will likely last for months
    That sentence would have been greatly improved by judicious use of the Oxford comma...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    C'mon pb geeks - what is the Govt's majority if all MPs over 70 have to self isolate?
This discussion has been closed.