Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From a 4.9% betting chance to 75% one in just nine days – Bide

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Hillary Clinton shortens on the news even though a brokered convention is less likely than before now.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,022
    eadric said:

TOPPING said:

After watching the press conference yesterday I was largely reassured by our strategy.

However, I really do not understand why the egg chasing is going ahead this weekend.

If cancelling that gave us another week of respite then I think most in the country would take that.

Thoughts?

Sorry to bang on about it but perhaps the most efficient transmission vector for this disease is the London Underground. If they are going to cancel a sports event with 80,000-odd people in the fresh air then they should cancel the tube also which carries 2m people per day.

Oh and the gyms because those are surely a hotbed of disease transmission. And...and...

No point with the marquee events. If the risk is such that they want to stop the spread they must take the appropriate steps and that means go big.
    As of yesterday you were in Paris .....trying to shake hands with people.

lol. You are a total f*cking moron and you are now more likely to die. Well done.
    Charming.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,299
    edited March 2020
    It seems odd that so many of our cases are still people returning from abroad, and so few being spread here.

We’d have to be shit hot at testing everyone coming back from northern Italy (etc), and/or returnees would have to be equally hot at isolating themselves from family and friends, to avoid all contact with Brits. Despite travelling all the way home, etc.
  • Options
    alterego said:

isam said:

The South African equivalent still has Godfrey Elfwick's creator's joke tweet up as advice

https://twitter.com/godblesstoto/status/1234933269461901313?s=20
    I understand that in Australia it's known as Wooflu. Probably partly because of one easy method of passing it on.
    The Aussies are certainly top dogs in this kind of stuff, mockingly funny without being hurtful unless.......
    Isn’t the Wooflu the local park?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

OT good meta piece by Tyler Cowen on the covid-19 arguments:

Overall, the growthers tend to be analytical people who work a lot with numbers and are used to modeling the problems they face. The mindset in Washington, by contrast — and indeed much of America — is much closer to the base-raters.

The base-raters, when assessing the likelihood of a particular scenario, start by asking how often it has happened before. That is, they estimate its base-rate likelihood. And history shows that major pandemics have lately been rare.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-03-03/how-fast-will-the-new-coronavirus-spread-two-sides-of-the-debate
    In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, on which day will the patch cover half of the lake?

The "lot of fuss about nothing" claim depends heavily on not knowing the right answer to that.

The "shut down the country and airports and cancel all sports and gatherings now" hysteria depends upon not knowing the answer too.
    The point of cancelling large gatherings is that doubling in size is not a given, you can add stuff to the water that makes it less friendly to lilies. Unfortunately they grow under the water where you can't see them before they show up on top, so you have to add it to all the water in the lake, even though most of the water doesn't yet have lilies in it.
    I will refuse to believe that the government is taking the threat seriously until they close down the tube in London at the very least (and the rail network arguably after that).
    Hang on a sec! I still need to do Inverness to Kyle, Inverness to Thurso and Wick, and Inverurie to Inverness. Oh and Dale Rail from Clitheroe to Hellifield!

Slumming it in Aberdeen this week with brother, sister in law and their newborn son. How likely is the Aberdeen to Inverness line to be swamped by hand-egg fans at the weekend? But will hopefully be able to do it by Friday...
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

BBC News just said 85 positive tests.

Up 34, the balloon is going up...

Though may be in part increased testing in Monday.

Dr Foxy not a happy bunny.
    Now 6 cases in London where I am, compared with 4 in South Tyrol, Italy where I am going skiing on Saturday. I'll feel safer on a wide open piste than on the tube.
    Which resort? I was in Passo Tonale two weeks ago.

Good for you that you are still going.
  • Options
    Bloomberg has endorsed Biden.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    pocket money?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996
    alterego said:

Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Now 6 cases in London where I am, compared with 4 in South Tyrol, Italy where I am going skiing on Saturday. I'll feel safer on a wide open piste than on the tube.
    Relative populations?
    Good point. London approx 9 million. South Tyrol about 0.5 million plus a few hundred thousand skiiers. Still prefer the open pistes to the crowded tube. We have instructions to ski at least one metre apart.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,259

There are five and a half months from now until the Republican convention which will determine who Betfair pay out on as the Republican nominee. What could possibly go wrong? Trump can be laid at 1.06. He has already asked whether he could nuke a hurricane and use a flu vaccine against the coronavirus. He is the most iconic president since JFK, in a country where the median age is 38. "The President and the Land are One" is what he will have to go for, and it won't work.

My best model (logistic) predicts near-universal infection by early May, ~11 million deaths in the US by the summer. Can they hold e-conventions?

Would you mind posting your projections for what numbers in the UK might look like, please?
    I haven't looked at any one country individually yet. I'm using figures for the world outside of China, starting when the number was 697 on 15 Feb.
    sure you've got a perfectly good reason for excluding China (though I note you include every single human on the planet in your predictions??)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,997
    Did Bloomberg have any adverts that didn't attack Trump?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Isn’t that Lombardy?
  • Options
    eadric said:

TOPPING said:

After watching the press conference yesterday I was largely reassured by our strategy.

However, I really do not understand why the egg chasing is going ahead this weekend.

If cancelling that gave us another week of respite then I think most in the country would take that.

Thoughts?

Sorry to bang on about it but perhaps the most efficient transmission vector for this disease is the London Underground. If they are going to cancel a sports event with 80,000-odd people in the fresh air then they should cancel the tube also which carries 2m people per day.

Oh and the gyms because those are surely a hotbed of disease transmission. And...and...

No point with the marquee events. If the risk is such that they want to stop the spread they must take the appropriate steps and that means go big.

lol. You are a total f*cking moron and you are now more likely to die. Well done.
    This group really needs a mute or block option.

This idiot is a waste of time and effort.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Corvara on the Sella Ronde. I am taking serious precautions including upon my return.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,022
    eadric said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

Thoughts?

Charming.
    I've been nice to people on here despite being roundly mocked, for a month, for being completely right about everything. I was the only adult in a room full of wailing toddlers, like Phillip, Topping, Ian, etc.

I'm done with it. If the mods want to block me, lettem. We're all way beyond that.
    Your post to Topping was horrible, even in supposed jest. And how do you know you are completely right? This thing hasn't played out yet. Get a grip.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

Thoughts?

Charming.
    I've been nice to people on here despite being roundly mocked, for a month, for being completely right about everything. I was the only adult in a room full of wailing toddlers, like Phillip, Topping, Ian, etc.

I'm done with it. If the mods want to block me, lettem. We're all way beyond that.
    I think you have your analogy the wrong way around.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    eek said:

Did Bloomberg have any adverts that didn't attack Trump?
    He ran quite a few here in NY bigging up his record as mayor of NYC.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    kamski said:

There are five and a half months from now until the Republican convention which will determine who Betfair pay out on as the Republican nominee. What could possibly go wrong? Trump can be laid at 1.06. He has already asked whether he could nuke a hurricane and use a flu vaccine against the coronavirus. He is the most iconic president since JFK, in a country where the median age is 38. "The President and the Land are One" is what he will have to go for, and it won't work.

My best model (logistic) predicts near-universal infection by early May, ~11 million deaths in the US by the summer. Can they hold e-conventions?

Would you mind posting your projections for what numbers in the UK might look like, please?
    I haven't looked at any one country individually yet. I'm using figures for the world outside of China, starting when the number was 697 on 15 Feb.
    sure you've got a perfectly good reason for excluding China (though I note you include every single human on the planet in your predictions??)
    China have taken measures that no other country is able to do,
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Corvara on the Sella Ronde. I am taking serious precautions including upon my return.
    I did the San Leonardo to Moso gorge walk last year. A nice area.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779
    eadric said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

Thoughts?

Charming.

When asked for practical advice your only suggestion was to sell shares. Ian suggested the same, at the same point in time, just without the melodrama and attention seeking.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,336
    edited March 2020

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

Thoughts?

Charming.
    I am flattered. He could no more efficiently tell me how much he looks up to me if he popped round to my home and tried to elbow bump me.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Lennon said:

Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

*Known* cases...

Edit: But your tube v open pistes point is certainly valid...
    Yes. I was having a debate on this point with a friend earlier.

At some point infection might be everywhere, and there may be no cause to isolate. 3% of the world is gonna die. 10% will maybe die without acute care.

Those are the numbers we are potentially looking at. A significant shrinkage of the the global population.

So you might as well head out and do your thang.

The Black Death was obviously a boon for more than just agricultural workers then.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

Thoughts?

Charming.

I think you have your analogy the wrong way around.
    No, I don't. Think about it.
    The one thing you are not doing is behaving like a level headed grown up.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Lucky you - hope you get some fresh snow. Flying into Venice or Innsbruck?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IanB2 said:

It seems odd that so many of our cases are still people returning from abroad, and so few being spread here.

We’d have to be shit hot at testing everyone coming back from northern Italy (etc), and/or returnees would have to be equally hot at isolating themselves from family and friends, to avoid all contact with Brits. Despite travelling all the way home, etc.

That would be a useful statistic, I have tried to estimate the imported v community cases in Spain as each announcement has being saying traveler from .... or source not known. It was running at under 10% community spread but as the volume of cases rise the quality of info seems to be falling.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Chameleon said:

kamski said:

Henrietta2's model L is looking very good (at this early stage). It predicts very widespread infection, and the associated social desolation, pretty damn soon.
    It doesn’t predict anything. She has just drawn a line (curve) through some dots. As new dots come in, she’ll keep moving the line. At the end, she’ll still have a line through some dots, and have predicted nothing.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

How do you feel about 10000 people from the south of France turning up in Edinburgh on Sunday?
    Scan their temperatures on arrival.

But yes, I wouldn't go myself.
    Better to scan on departure I would have thought.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Barnesian said:

alterego said:

Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Relative populations?
    Good point. London approx 9 million. South Tyrol about 0.5 million plus a few hundred thousand skiiers. Still prefer the open pistes to the crowded tube. We have instructions to ski at least one metre apart.
    And don't break anything!

Have fun.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Innsbruck. Its snowing this week, sunny periods next week.
  • Options

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

Thoughts?

Every village needs its idiot.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

Chameleon said:

kamski said:

Henrietta2's model L is looking very good (at this early stage). It predicts very widespread infection, and the associated social desolation, pretty damn soon.
    Are you considering your posts as constructive, to enable people to be forewarned and prepared ? I can understand if you do.

I have to say, though, sometimes it's seems that you're wanting to share the truth of gloom and fear, as if that is the only truth. EveniIf the disease goes to the absolute worst end of predictions, which we have no idea about so far, life isn't possible on the basis of this constant fear.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited March 2020
    alterego said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

Thoughts?

Given how events have unfolded calling him an idiot is marginally harsh. Hysterical may be more apt.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Hillary Clinton shortens on the news even though a brokered convention is less likely than before now.

And that is why this market is impossible to trade successfully
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Innsbruck is a v easy airport I find - small and convenient car hire.

I was in Obergurgl, Austria a few weeks ago and at the highest point there is a magnificent view, right across to the Marmalada, Sella Ronda.
  • Options
    When does Biden hit 50% in a national poll ?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

alterego said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

Thoughts?

Given how events have unfolded calling him an idiot is marginally harsh. Hysterical may be more apt.
    I picked up on "idiot" from the post I was responding to but wouldn't have done so had I disagreed with its use.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Bloomberg out.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

kamski said:

It doesn’t predict anything. She has just drawn a line (curve) through some dots. As new dots come in, she’ll keep moving the line. At the end, she’ll still have a line through some dots, and have predicted nothing.
    This attitude is just insane.

This is why I (and others) are the adults, and you and Topping etc are the snotty nosed toddlers.

You don't like what the big bad older person is saying, because it is scary, and makes you wet yourself, so you wail at them and hit them with tiny fists.

Behaviourally, it is interesting. On a forum, it becomes boring.
    You are delusional, unable even to see yourself in the mirror.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Innsbruck is a v easy airport I find - small and convenient car hire.

I was in Obergurgl, Austria a few weeks ago and at the highest point there is a magnificent view, right across to the Marmalada, Sella Ronda.
    I plan to go up the Marmalada and ski all the way down. I've done it before.
  • Options
    The problem with these "10% of the world's population are going to die of this virus" predictions isn't just that they are wrong. I know lots of people who were saying the same kind of thing for the last 3 viruses. Now people have been complacent, and perhaps as a result we've lost the chance to contain this one. Part of the fault lies with the hysterical doom-mongers.

We might actually get a wake-up call with this pandemic, as the next one could be a lot worse and we need to have better systems in place around the world.
  • Options
    Is Sander`s cause totally lost? Can now get 21 - BF for Next President.
  • Options
    Just did a search on twitter for

mike2bernie 0 results
    bloomberg2sanders 0 results
    bloomberg2bernie 0 results
    mike2sanders 2 results from 2011
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Last August?
  • Options
    Bloomberg is 78 and his net worth is estimated at $55 billion. So what if he dropped half a billion on a one-off gamble for the presidency? It affects his lifestyle not one bit. For you or me, it's eye-watering. For him, it's chump change.

He'll be far more concerned about the reputational side. $500 million is nothing. Sneers from Trump, and cheap laughs on TV shows are probably infinitely more important to him.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

Pretty soon I think, if you squeeze DKs etc.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

kamski said:

This is why I (and others) are the adults, and you and Topping etc are the snotty nosed toddlers.

You don't like what the big bad older person is saying, because it is scary, and makes you wet yourself, so you wail at them and hit them with tiny fists.

You are delusional, unable even to see yourself in the mirror.
    S'OK. He's catastrophising. It's a thing. I presume that the alcohol intensifies it while also as he says removing inhibitions he might for some reason have had with strangers on the internet.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

kamski said:

It's not insane it's just pointing one of the flaws in the "model".

I seem to remember 3 different lines through the dots though.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    TOPPING said:

Thoughts?

Sorry to bang on about it but perhaps the most efficient transmission vector for this disease is the London Underground. If they are going to cancel a sports event with 80,000-odd people in the fresh air then they should cancel the tube also which carries 2m people per day in an intimately enclosed space.

Yes a fair point in a few weeks and probably one that is being modelled.

But the risk at the moment is people bringing it in. Why would we encourage that just for a silly game that hardly anyone cares about?
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,165
    Would Bernie even have a chance if Warren did drop out before the next primaries? Or has Biden got this now regardless?
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

kinabalu said:

Monkeys said:

Biden won't beat Trump. Very few people who have held cabinet positions go on the be president, it IS only ex-VP'sn but they either did something special in office, or ran against a VP. Biden is a dafty and his son already caused one president to be impeached.

I genuinely can't see how he loses. My one caveat - and it is a big one - is his condition. There will be gaffes. Fine, it's priced in, but not if they are of a nature and frequency that lead people to go, "You know that? This guy is not up to it. It's sad. I'd like to vote for him but I don't think I can."

Has he "gone over" in other words? Not because he is 77 years old. It happens to different people at different ages. Has it happened with Joe? If it has, the Dems might be about to make a monumental blunder. On balance, I think it's going to be OK.
    tmust be remembered that Trump isn't particularly famous for making sense.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/donald-trumps-rambling-90-second-speech-stuns-english-speaking-world_uk_57ab37d7e4b08ab70dc0f646
    It doesn't matter. He's presidential by virtue of the fact that he's president, and he's ready to fight dirtier than Biden ever could. Perception is reality and the aim isn't to raise his own popularity, it's to lower everyone else's. Watch.
  • Options
    eadric said:

kamski said:

The problem with these "10% of the world's population are going to die of this virus" predictions isn't just that they are wrong. I know lots of people who were saying the same kind of thing for the last 3 viruses. Now people have been complacent, and perhaps as a result we've lost the chance to contain this one. Part of the fault lies with the hysterical doom-mongers.

We might actually get a wake-up call with this pandemic, as the next one could be a lot worse and we need to have better systems in place around the world.

"the next one could be a lot worse"

Genius.
    Yes I am talking about fools like you.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited March 2020
    Is one of the early symptoms seeing everything in bold type? :/
  • Options

Bloomberg is 78 and his net worth is estimated at $55 billion. So what if he dropped half a billion on a one-off gamble for the presidency? It affects his lifestyle not one bit. For you or me, it's eye-watering. For him, it's chump change.

He'll be far more concerned about the reputational side. $500 million is nothing. Sneers from Trump, and cheap laughs on TV shows are probably infinitely more important to him.
    More seriously, he's now got a lot of data, will be interesting to see how he uses it.
  • Options
    alterego said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

Thoughts?

Yes. its quite (B)ironic he is ours.
  • Options
    kamski said:

eadric said:

kamski said:

Genius.
    It wouldn’t be so bad if, when 4% of the population haven’t died, there was the slightest chance that he might have learned something. But we all know that when the next issue of concern comes along he’ll be just the same.
  • Options
    kamski said:

eadric said:

kamski said:

Genius.
    @eadric has glimpsed the monster.

You know how it is - the bit when you catch sight of the monster in a horror film and you finally know it's real.

As I said, catastrophising.
  • Options
    Biden is a 79% chance (1.27) as nominee and a 35% chance (2.82) as next president. That implies a 44% chance of beating Trump if Biden is nominee.

I would have thought his chances of beating Trump were 50% or more from the head to head polls in the swing states, the momentum that Biden will now have (back a winner), and the downsides for Trump (virus, healthcare, economy) which don't yet show in the polls.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Bloomberg has also now dropped below 15% in the California count. Latest:

Sanders 33.6
    Biden 24.9
    Bloomberg 14.3
    Warren 12.0
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pretty soon I think, if you squeeze DKs etc.
    Ah yes they have a weird habit of not making their polls sum through to 100%.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Barnesian said:

Biden is a 79% chance (1.27) as nominee and a 35% chance (2.82) as next president. That implies a 44% chance of beating Trump if Biden is nominee.

I would have thought his chances of beating Trump were 50% or more from the head to head polls in the swing states, the momentum that Biden will now have (back a winner), and the downsides for Trump (virus, healthcare, economy) which don't yet show in the polls.

First term presidents normally get reelected. I expect that will be the default on the markets until Trump really messes up.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Even that he can rationalize away - telling himself he gave the Dems a backstop when it looked like they needed it, but now they don't. And he can now use the infrastructure he has created for this run and his other causes (gun control, education) to support Biden's fight against Trump.

He'll be disappointed, but he'll rationalize it and move on to the next challenge because that is the mindset of someone as genuinely successful (i.e. not Trumpian successful) as Bloomberg.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Is Sander`s cause totally lost? Can now get 21 - BF for Next President.

This seems a slight over-correction, but only slight.

He's running out of road in a truncated primary season, with less time to regain momentum between defeats. 365 more delegates next Tuesday, 577 the Tuesday after that.

He needs something big to change the narrative... which isn't impossible, but tick-tock.
  • Options

Would Bernie even have a chance if Warren did drop out before the next primaries? Or has Biden got this now regardless?

IMO, Biden has this now, unless he does a Biden on us.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Bloomberg has also now dropped below 15% in the California count. Latest:

Sanders 33.6
    Biden 24.9
    Bloomberg 14.3
    Warren 12.0

That's bad news for Clinton backers, but I'm not sure they are rational people.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Even that he can rationalize away - telling himself he gave the Dems a backstop when it looked like they needed it, but now they don't. And he can now use the infrastructure he has created for this run and his other causes (gun control, education) to support Biden's fight against Trump.

He'll be disappointed, but he'll rationalize it and move on to the next challenge because that is the mindset of someone as genuinely successful (i.e. not Trumpian successful) as Bloomberg.
    True. And Trump would be wise not to gloat too much... how much is each mocking tweet worth in terms of $$$ to the Biden campaign?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Thoughts?

Sorry to bang on about it but perhaps the most efficient transmission vector for this disease is the London Underground. If they are going to cancel a sports event with 80,000-odd people in the fresh air then they should cancel the tube also which carries 2m people per day in an intimately enclosed space.

Yes a fair point in a few weeks and probably one that is being modelled.

But the risk at the moment is people bringing it in. Why would we encourage that just for a silly game that hardly anyone cares about?
    There are plenty of tourists on the tube.
  • Options

If Sanders drops out Warren would have a chance
  • Options
    kamski said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

kamski said:

I don't understand what value the model by Henrietta is adding though? If you want a rough idea of numbers then just take some of the headlines and do a back of the fag paper calculation. But writing it out here every few days as if it is telling us something *useful* seems a bit callous.

Can you imagine someone screaming in the town hall during WW1 about the fatality rates and that they have done some forward calculations of what that meant for next week/month/year? I don't think it would go down well.

If it is someone who really understands how to put infectious disease models together and that information is being put to some useful purpose, then fair enough.

But for us I think it is sufficient to know that this is going to be bad. That's just me though.
  • Options
    Interesting

https://twitter.com/mj_lee/status/1235227607819575297

Warren slew Bloomberg in the debate, staying in now could turn her into a Gabbard like figure.
  • Options
    Is this important

Sky report Bloomberg has dropped out and supports Biden
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kamski said:

eadric said:

kamski said:

Genius.

You know how it is - the bit when you catch sight of the monster in a horror film and you finally know it's real.

Well, no, because if it's real it ain't catastrophising - unless you are making an "it's only a movie" point. Even in real life, the ship does sometimes hit the iceberg. I am not panicking, because I don't think a good clear out of the age >50 biomass is something to worry about long term, but it takes anti-vaxxer levels of ascientism to be able to believe that we are not in for a seriously shit time.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It was and is possible to be very concerned about Covid-19 without hyperventilating.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Lennon said:

Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

*Known* cases...

Edit: But your tube v open pistes point is certainly valid...
    Yes. I was having a debate on this point with a friend earlier.

At some point infection might be everywhere, and there may be no cause to isolate. 3% of the world is gonna die. 10% will maybe die without acute care.

Those are the numbers we are potentially looking at. A significant shrinkage of the the global population.

So you might as well head out and do your thang.

Hahaha!! That's my take too. Once I've got this building contractor to finish his job (which unfortunately may take some time), I'll be off on an open-ended adventure. I was thinking somewhere like the Old Town in Ljubljana...
    Yes, me too.

I have a lovely job in Nicaragua coming up, a private island in a lake etc. Until recently I was thinking cautiously - cancel everything, hide out, etc. As many will do. And as many will be forced to do. There will be lockdowns, I expect.

Now, I dunno. If the plague is everywhere being somewhere particular makes no sense, plus if there's a 5-10% chance of dying whatever, then we should be enjoying every moment.

Eat, Drink and Be Merry!
    You should always live every week like it is your last. Enjoy life. Too short, too precious.
  • Options

It was and is possible to be very concerned about Covid-19 without hyperventilating.

Spot on Alastair
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    Been in London today. Saw a grand total of 3 people with face masks. And one of them had taken it off to make a phone call. And yet the media always seem to find someone in a mask for their photos. Funny that.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

eadric said:

kamski said:

Genius.

Well, no, because if it's real it ain't catastrophising - unless you are making an "it's only a movie" point. Even in real life, the ship does sometimes hit the iceberg. I am not panicking, because I don't think a good clear out of the age >50 biomass is something to worry about long term, but it takes anti-vaxxer levels of ascientism to be able to believe that we are not in for a seriously shit time.
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

eadric said:

kamski said:

Genius.

Biomass !!!!

I'm over 50, as are many of my peers.

Is it good we may die due to this ?

Really ?
  • Options
  • Options

Having followed a few twitter feeds from Iran I am very worried about it, but I don't see it as the end of days.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

eadric said:

kamski said:

Genius.

Biomass !!!!

Really ?
    I am well over 50.
  • Options
    The Democrat nomination process seems to have gone into hyperdrive.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

eadric said:

kamski said:

Genius.

Biomass !!!!

Really ?
    I am well over 50.
    My question did not relate to your age.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

eadric said:

kamski said:

Genius.

We shall see where we end up. Shit time? You betcha. But as Mr Meeks, together with just about any sensible soul, has noted, you can be concerned without being an absolute twat about it and thereby making it all about yourself.

But for sure, he adds to the gaiety of the site. I don't forgive him for being a c*** wrt tim but that's small beer I suppose in the scheme of things.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

eadric said:

kamski said:

Genius.

Biomass !!!!

Really ?
    I am well over 50.
    Then it could well be argued you're taking an artificially over-distanced approach.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

eadric said:

kamski said:

Genius.

Biomass !!!!

Really ?
    I am well over 50.
    Do you form a huddle at the meet and despair at your prospects given the forthcoming 5ft hedges?
  • Options
    eadric said:

kamski said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

kamski said:

I don't understand what value the model by Henrietta is adding though? If you want a rough idea of numbers then just take some of the headlines and do a back of the fag paper calculation. But writing it out here every few days as if it is telling us something *useful* seems a bit callous.

Can you imagine someone screaming in the town hall during WW1 about the fatality rates and that they have done some forward calculations of what that meant for next week/month/year? I don't think it would go down well.

If it is someone who really understands how to put infectious disease models together and that information is being put to some useful purpose, then fair enough.

But for us I think it is sufficient to know that this is going to be bad. That's just me though.
    This is PB. We are data geeks. We analyse numbers, and bet on them.

More importantly, if a mid range scenario for coronavirus is that, say, "X million will die", then this has an enormous impact on almost any political or economic forecasting

So if we DON'T discuss this (out of what, politeness? deference to the faint hearted? then the site's intrinsic purpose is nullified.
    Is not living in fear, even if there is a major threat, faint-hearted, or the opposite ?
  • Options
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/485898-warren-reassessing-campaign-after-disappointing-super-tuesday?userid=370913

"Elizabeth is talking to her team to assess the path forward," the campaign aide said.

It's err not very good.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    LOL. When to win is to lose.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

OT good meta piece by Tyler Cowen on the covid-19 arguments:

Overall, the growthers tend to be analytical people who work a lot with numbers and are used to modeling the problems they face. The mindset in Washington, by contrast — and indeed much of America — is much closer to the base-raters.

The base-raters, when assessing the likelihood of a particular scenario, start by asking how often it has happened before. That is, they estimate its base-rate likelihood. And history shows that major pandemics have lately been rare.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-03-03/how-fast-will-the-new-coronavirus-spread-two-sides-of-the-debate
    In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, on which day will the patch cover half of the lake?

The "lot of fuss about nothing" claim depends heavily on not knowing the right answer to that.

The "shut down the country and airports and cancel all sports and gatherings now" hysteria depends upon not knowing the answer too.
    The point of cancelling large gatherings is that doubling in size is not a given, you can add stuff to the water that makes it less friendly to lilies. Unfortunately they grow under the water where you can't see them before they show up on top, so you have to add it to all the water in the lake, even though most of the water doesn't yet have lilies in it.
    I will refuse to believe that the government is taking the threat seriously until they close down the tube in London at the very least (and the rail network arguably after that).
    Hang on a sec! I still need to do Inverness to Kyle, Inverness to Thurso and Wick, and Inverurie to Inverness. Oh and Dale Rail from Clitheroe to Hellifield!

Slumming it in Aberdeen this week with brother, sister in law and their newborn son. How likely is the Aberdeen to Inverness line to be swamped by hand-egg fans at the weekend? But will hopefully be able to do it by Friday...
    You also need to do the curve that avoids Inverness station. One train per day does that, I think.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Spot on Alastair
    When am I ever wrong, @Big_G_NorthWales?
  • Options
    eadric said:

kamski said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

kamski said:

More importantly, if a mid range scenario for coronavirus is that, say, "X million will die", then this has an enormous impact on almost any political or economic forecasting

So if we DON'T discuss this (out of what, politeness? deference to the faint hearted?) then the site's intrinsic purpose is nullified.
    You are starting to sound like a fox hunter trying to explain how damaging foxes are, when we all know you just enjoy chasing them about on horseback for fun.

You are enjoying your drama queen act, and if we really were talking about two million UK dead you shouldn’t be.
  • Options
    eadric said:

kamski said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

kamski said:

So if we DON'T discuss this (out of what, politeness? deference to the faint hearted?) then the site's intrinsic purpose is nullified.
    Nah not for me. No-one is going to make any decisions based on Henrietta's model. I think we need to conduct ourselves in a proper way as much as possible. We have all got a part to play.
  • Options

Spot on Alastair
    Now you are pushing it somewhat !!!!!!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    The British equivalent would be Anne Widdicombe up against one of Frank Field or Ken Livingstone!
  • Options
    What is Betdaq? Anyone use it? Same as Betfair?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    Dr Foxy posted the photo of South Korea doing drive through testing. Seems like UK is getting it as well.

Potential coronavirus patients are being tested at drive-thru centres in London today as part of a city-wide bid to stop the infection from spreading at hospitals.

A test centre has opened at Parsons Green, west London, where people who believe they have contracted Covid-19 can be checked while still sat in their own cars.

Photos taken today show brave nurses donning face masks and protective glasses while swabbing patients in their nose and mouth through an open car window.

The Central London Community Healthcare NHS trust launched the scheme this week. If successful, it will be rolled out more widely across England.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8073749/NHS-sets-London-coronavirus-testing-centre-UK-cases-rise-53.html
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/485898-warren-reassessing-campaign-after-disappointing-super-tuesday?userid=370913

"Elizabeth is talking to her team to assess the path forward," the campaign aide said.

It's err not very good.

I'm no political consultant, but I'm guessing the masterplan involved her doing a bit better than third place in her own state.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

eadric said:

kamski said:

Genius.

Biomass !!!!

Really ?
    I am well over 50.
    Do you form a huddle at the meet and despair at your prospects given the forthcoming 5ft hedges?
    Well ... yes, actually. It's a huddle of one, though, and the despair is silent and internalised.

Also these days I go through gates, if there is one.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Been in London today. Saw a grand total of 3 people with face masks. And one of them had taken it off to make a phone call. And yet the media always seem to find someone in a mask for their photos. Funny that.

I've been to several supermarkets today (for different reasons) across north London and Essex

Saw my first real "panic buying". Large queues, huge purchases, handwash sold out, signs saying "Sorry we don't have X or X"

I actually don't think this can be fairly labelled panic buying. It is a rational response to the likelihood that we are following Italy into a serious situation with closed schools, quarantines, lockdowns
    LOL sorry I need to break my don't respond directly to twats rule.

So have I got this right, people are going into lockdown and quarantine. So why are they buying handwash if they aren't going to go anywhere?
  • Options

Spot on Alastair
    Didn't you switch your Biden/Sanders position last night :D ?
This discussion has been closed.