Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From a 4.9% betting chance to 75% one in just nine days – Bide

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    It will be coming round again by then.

Nov. - Time to Die.....
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

I think for the first time in history, I disagree with Glen.

What's wrong with making MPs beholden to a tiny clique of (usually wealthy and well-educated) people?

There's a reason people are well educated and wealthy, the country should listen to such people.

https://twitter.com/BritishGQ/status/1235252440875888645

Like Rhodesia, yes I follow you. I don’t think it would be that bad an idea to limit the franchise to those with a certain level of academic achievement really
    Except that would just lead to the disenfranchised using protest or even violence if necessary to make their voice heard
    Or they could study hard to obtain the necessary qualifications
    I always thought the voting system that Neville Shute outlined in I the Wet had a lot going for it. Up to seven votes possible depending on a range of things the last only to be granted by the monarch.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I am stunned by how identical Sanders’ situation is to Corbyn. Yet again young people simply do not turn out to vote.

I swear in sixty years time (if I make it that far) I'll still be reading people shocked that young people simply do not turn out - and also saying that the left will ultimately take over because the young support them so when the old die off the country will be full of leftwingers.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    IanB2 said:

Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

Chameleon said:

Flanner said:

Chameleon said:

The line for rate of increase for each of the Western European countries is quite startling...

Yep. It's really something. Seeing them start to rocket is what made me a wee bit concerned.

It also reveals that of Washington State's 24 cases, 9 are dead. Which seems interesting...
    It has to be certain that Washington State's 9 dead are NOT from 24 cases, but from somewhere closer to 300 to 400.

Italy's death rate - the highest in the developed world is 3.2%, and almost the only way lethality could be higher in Washington would be if the quality of care were a great deal worse.

A far likelier explanation is that reporting in the US is running 90% below reality. Which probably means that,the infection rate will get a very great deal worse, because that in turn means 90% of sick people are failing to self-isolate.

Trump's about to have a new Korea scale outbreak on his hands. And on his watch.

Which probably means we now have a real chance of an experienced, centrist politician in the White House next January.
    Totally agreed. The scientist behind NextStrain.org said about 6 days ago that there was proof that it'd been circulating in Seattle since late Jan, and was probably doubling every 6.1 days. He said the midpoint prediction was 700 infections at that time. Which translates to 1,400 now.

Since then we've also discovered that there's been multiple strains in Seattle, so that initial prediction was too low.

How many other people slipped through the (non-existent) net in early Feb? 10, 50, 100? Whatever that number is, times it by 1,000 to get an extremely rough estimate of where the US is now. The US's response is terrifying.
    Against those sorts of US projections, wouldn’t we expect a lot more people actually seriously ill by now?
    Potentially, potentially not. What we do know is that this US flu season has been absolutely horrific in the US. So a drop off in the flu season could coincide with the rise of coronavirus cases. Bear in mind that it takes a while for otherwise healthy people to get hospitalisation sick and there's a decent incubation period.

Let's say that there's 15,000 cases in the US, about half would be very recently infected and perhaps not showing signs. 5 days ago there would have been ~7500 cases. Lets say that it takes 5-10 days of being ill before getting further treatment, now we're down to 3700-1875 cases mature enough. Add in a 9% intensive care rate and you're down to 300-170 people being hospitalised for Coronavirus out of a 15,000 total population at the time. That's a drop in the ocean in the US, given that they've completely missed 3 deaths from coronavirus (at least) it doesn't seem completely un-credible.
    If the US ordinary flu has been that bad, you’d expect it to have reduced the pool of people who fall into the most at risk categories for wooflu, making the disparity in death rates even more marked.
    If you're towards the backend of a flu season and people drop dead of flu symptoms you're going to assume that it's the flu. See: the 3 that died in Feb in Washington.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267

I am stunned by how identical Sanders’ situation is to Corbyn. Yet again young people simply do not turn out to vote.

I swear in sixty years time (if I make it that far) I'll still be reading people shocked that young people simply do not turn out - and also saying that the left will ultimately take over because the young support them so when the old die off the country will be full of leftwingers.
    It is of course possible that the reason the young don’t turn out for politicians like Sanders and Corbyn is because they are not enthused by them or their message. Rather than laziness.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,927
    HYUFD said:
    I find it really pitiful that the President of the USA persists in calling his opponents silly names, most of us left that sort of behaviour behind in the schoolyard by the time we had reached 10 years of age. I can't think of anyone who has demeaned the office in the way Trump has.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:
    I find it really pitiful that the President of the USA persists in calling his opponents silly names, most of us left that sort of behaviour behind in the schoolyard by the time we had reached 10 years of age. I can't think of anyone who has demeaned the office in the way Trump has.
    I agree. Sad.

Ah, my coat. :D
  • Options

No need to be rude to me. I warned about this when Corbyn lost and the surge didn’t come. Enough for me.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,638
    kle4 said:

What's wrong with making MPs beholden to a tiny clique of (usually wealthy and well-educated) people?

There's a reason people are well educated and wealthy, the country should listen to such people.

Of course you'd say that, you wealthy well educated person!

More seriously, I find the fetishisation of membership size by some another sign of being overly concerned with members above all others. Important people, lifeblood of a party, any party, but there are limits.
    I must have missed part of this conversation. Why are we talking about the size of Burgon’s member?
  • Options

No need to be rude to me. I warned about this when Corbyn lost and the surge didn’t come. Enough for me.
    Perhaps I'm missing it, but how was that rude?
  • Options
    I do realise that coronavirus is v v serious. I really do. I am at higher risk if I catch it than I would like. So I am washing my hands and being sensible.

But at the moment with the wall to wall coverage of it, including on here, I rather fear that I am at risk of dying of boredom with the topic.

Sorry. Not meaning to sound frivolous or wanting to send @eadric off on one. But really. Even in wartime people occasionally talked about other stuff.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,948
    Cyclefree said:

It is of course possible that the reason the young don’t turn out for politicians like Sanders and Corbyn is because they are not enthused by them or their message. Rather than laziness.
    Our perceptions of laziness are skewed in the first place. The young are mostly working, the elderly are mostly not. We give one workday to vote with a couple of hours either end, and are surprised that the ones who have to also do a full days work in the middle are less likely to vote.

On top we then make absentee voting the realm of the post box and letters rather than online which again will skew massively to the elderly and against the young. Im not suggesting online voting as that has its own set of problems, but the set up is almost designed to assist elderly voters and deter younger ones (at least relatively).
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,400
    edited March 2020
    Cyclefree said:

It is because they don't give a monkeys, by and large, about politics, at that age.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340
    Cyclefree said:

I think younger people might have been more susceptible to the constant messages "all politicians are the same" "all politicians are crap" and generally demonising politicians, which I find unhealthy. Most politicians are no worse than most other people. In fact, the only politicians I personally know (of the local variety in various countries), have, so far as I can tell, been mostly motivated by a sincere desire to make things better for their fellow human beings. Now, there may be a higher proportion of sociopaths, chancers and crooks at the very top. Power corrupts and all that. But most politicians are at least as decent as the rest of us.

And who does this anti-politician propaganda benefit? The rich and powerful - the same place a lot of it comes from. The ballot box is the one place we are all equal, after all.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

More seriously, I find the fetishisation of membership size by some another sign of being overly concerned with members above all others. Important people, lifeblood of a party, any party, but there are limits.
    I must have missed part of this conversation. Why are we talking about the size of Burgon’s member?
    Is its possible that its greater than his IQ>?

• Options

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

That I wouldn’t know, but I certainly wouldn’t use ‘fetishising’ and ‘member size’ in the same sentence.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Cyclefree said:

Our perceptions of laziness are skewed in the first place. The young are mostly working, the elderly are mostly not. We give one workday to vote with a couple of hours either end, and are surprised that the ones who have to also do a full days work in the middle are less likely to vote.

On top we then make absentee voting the realm of the post box and letters rather than online which again will skew massively to the elderly and against the young. Im not suggesting online voting as that has its own set of problems, but the set up is almost designed to assist elderly voters and deter younger ones (at least relatively).
    Are the youth of today unable to seal an envelope or something? :p
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,782
    edited March 2020

isam said:

Like Rhodesia, yes I follow you. I don’t think it would be that bad an idea to limit the franchise to those with a certain level of academic achievement really
    So you'd disenfranchise Cambridge graduates?

Gets my vote.....
    According to wiki MPs for Oxford University were elected under STV between 1918 and 1935:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_University_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_1920s

Good to be reminded of the legendary Crutwell.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I wasn't being rude to you. I actually thought I was agreeing with you as it sounded like you'd foresaw Sanders plan was doomed. You never even said what I was saying. It's Sanders and his supporters who were delusional enough to think he was winning a Youthquake. I never thought you were saying that, in fact I don't recall speaking to you much since the election and kudos to you for coming back.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I do realise that coronavirus is v v serious. I really do. I am at higher risk if I catch it than I would like. So I am washing my hands and being sensible.

But at the moment with the wall to wall coverage of it, including on here, I rather fear that I am at risk of dying of boredom with the topic.

Sorry. Not meaning to sound frivolous or wanting to send @eadric off on one. But really. Even in wartime people occasionally talked about other stuff.

We could talk about some of the strange traits in human behavior are brought out by crisis. Apparently 10,000 masks and thousands of bottles of Han sanitizer have ‘disappeared’ from French hospitals. You now need a prescription to buy a mask.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,224
    California and Maine haven't been called by a lot of news organisations such as the New York Times.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Are the youth of today unable to seal an envelope or something? :p
    Are the elderly of today unable to work an I-Phone or Instagram?

Different generations are used to different things, it doesnt make one better or worse than the other.
  • Options

Why do you take everything personally? He wasn't being rude to you, he was making a point about the left in general.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The problem with Sanders is his rhetoric is going to lead to delivering a Trump victory if Biden gets the nomination.

He is causing a chasm between his supporters and other Dems , and this will cause problems trying to unite in November.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

You're fooling no-one with your "not meaning to send @eadric off on one..." line!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

It is because they don't give a monkeys, by and large, about politics, at that age.
    I disagree. At least based on my entirely anecdotal evidence of my 3 and their friends. They are very interested and all vote. But the 2 who were at least prepared to listen to Corbyn when he first came on the scene made an active decision to turn away from him by last year. And not because of laziness.

“The lazy young” is a a tired assumption it seems to me. And more than a bit patronising.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

You're fooling no-one with your "not meaning to send @eadric off on one..." line!
    Well, teasing hasn’t been banned yet, has it!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    nico67 said:

The problem with Sanders is his rhetoric is going to lead to delivering a Trump victory if Biden gets the nomination.

He is causing a chasm between his supporters and other Dems , and this will cause problems trying to unite in November.

This was the charge Clinton made in 2016, and I'm not sure I really buy it. The chasms are already there, and figures like Clinton and Biden will simply tend to reduce left turnout even without prior leftwing involvement in the primaries.

The right and left of the Democrats blaming each other is a symptom of their different constituencies, not understanding each other and huge cultural divides.
  • Options
    ITN News:

Flybe likely to go bankrupt very soon without a government handout (which has been refused).
  • Options
    Shit, first cases in Alicante. Was hoping that the weather, +20 for a week would restrict it. Now in Alicante and
    Orihuela.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Cyclefree said:

We could talk about some of the strange traits in human behavior are brought out by crisis. Apparently 10,000 masks and thousands of bottles of Han sanitizer have ‘disappeared’ from French hospitals. You now need a prescription to buy a mask.
    “Han sanitizer”. That is a brilliant typo!

I am making my own. I make my own hand cream and exfoliator - largely to save my poor hands from what gardening does to them. So this is not such a big step.

We could talk about what is happening on the Greek border. Or what the hell the Turks are doing in Syria.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935
    Andy_JS said:

California and Maine haven't been called by a lot of news organisations such as the New York Times.

Its close in Maine.

On the other hand Bernie is only just in excess of 250,000 ahead in California
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I think that's exactly what it is!

I've long had a theory that the reason the non-voting young don't vote nowadays is not because they are disenchanted but instead because they are content and as a result complacent. Rather than angry they are ok with their lives: they've not had to work, they've not struggled with debt, they've not struggled to put food on the table, they've not had to pay taxes.

Today's young adults have been infantilised and it's only once they grow up and real life kicks them that they find something that bothers enough to vote. Until then they're not lazy they just don't care - and they noisy youth that do care about firebrands are the odd ones out.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I have spoken to my doctor about my current infection today and am taking another course of anti biotics. He said I was in the highest risk factor which I did know but was unable to advise whether or not I should travel to Vancouver in May

My wife and I will take that decision at the end of April and if we decide not to go we lose our air fare. However, the hotel and other costs are free to cancel with no penalty

I have noticed reports of planes flying with few passengers and that does not look as if it is going to change anytime soon

However, I agree with you Cyclefree and do read 'eadric'posts but am not influenced by his somewhat scary stories but he is an important poster.

I saw some early postings on the US politics this morning and it was so funny to see poster after poster trying to get HYUFD to admit he called Sanders wrong without any success whatsover

I do agree with the poster who suggested to accept you are wrong on occasions is good for the soul, but I am holding my breath for HYUFD
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

nichomar said:

Cyclefree said:

I am making my own. I make my own hand cream and exfoliator - largely to save my poor hands from what gardening does to them. So this is not such a big step.

We could talk about what is happening on the Greek border. Or what the hell the Turks are doing in Syria.
    Actually all sorts of things are slipping below the radar giving a free pass to organizations to get away with anything. Our ability to cope with more than two issues at once is limited, well for men it is!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684

trying to get hold of sanitising wipes online.

Any ideas?

Amazon.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Why do you take everything personally? He wasn't being rude to you, he was making a point about the left in general.
    I think CHB was actually taking the micky out of himself. That is how I read it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

That I wouldn’t know, but I certainly wouldn’t use ‘fetishising’ and ‘member size’ in the same sentence.
    You haven't read Jackie Collins then !
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020

Cyclefree said:

I think that's exactly what it is!

I've long had a theory that the reason the non-voting young don't vote nowadays is not because they are disenchanted but instead because they are content and as a result complacent. Rather than angry they are ok with their lives: they've not had to work, they've not struggled with debt, they've not struggled to put food on the table, they've not had to pay taxes.

Today's young adults have been infantilised and it's only once they grow up and real life kicks them that they find something that bothers enough to vote. Until then they're not lazy they just don't care - and they noisy youth that do care about firebrands are the odd ones out.
    There's some elements of truth in this, but then many millennials do undoubtedly struggle with a more precarious existence than their parents. I think particularly since the 1980s, and in Britain and in America particularly, any form of collective optimism that the young might invest in a political party still has to swim heavily against the individualist tide. There's greater barriers of cynicism, self-consciousness, and solely economic self-interest than before, with the internet and social media increasing that atomisation, as well as ghettoising political warriors of the left and right slightly away from the cultural mainstream in their own facebook algorithms and groups. That doesn't mean it's impossible, though.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Monkeys said:

kinabalu said:

Disappointed it's not going to be Bernie. Biden will doubtless beat Trump - which let's face it is the main thing - but IMO Bernie would have done so too. President Sanders could have been iconic and the necessary game-changer for a country so wealthy and powerful yet with such deeply offensive levels of poverty and inequality. Change is coming - but not quite yet.

That said, Biden is OK. And compared to the individual he will replace he is the Second Coming. So, yes, I'm totally behind him now. Whatever it takes, including the right medication. C'mon Joe!

Biden won't beat Trump. .
    Coronavirus is the game-changer here, otherwise I'd agree.

And, no, Sanders wouldn't win. He would be utterly pulverised in the US election. For Americans he's 1000x worse than Corbyn. Not because of terrorist sympathies or anti-semitism but the worst 'S' crime of them all. Socialist.
    Things are changing. 57% of Dems in *Texas* see socialism as favourable vs only 37% unfavourable.

The thing is GOP have cried wolf on calling every dem a socialist it is losing its effect. In a similar in which the left called everyone they didnt like racist.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,613
    MaxPB said:

trying to get hold of sanitising wipes online.

Any ideas?

Amazon.
    Amazon also has plenty of gloves and plenty of rubbing alcohol
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,048
    Cyclefree said:

Yes, it is a subset of youth that are engaged, and do turn out. The rest don't care much, at least until politics slaps them in the face with something like tuition fees.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Cyclefree said:

I think younger people might have been more susceptible to the constant messages "all politicians are the same" "all politicians are crap" and generally demonising politicians, which I find unhealthy. Most politicians are no worse than most other people. In fact, the only politicians I personally know (of the local variety in various countries), have, so far as I can tell, been mostly motivated by a sincere desire to make things better for their fellow human beings. Now, there may be a higher proportion of sociopaths, chancers and crooks at the very top. Power corrupts and all that. But most politicians are at least as decent as the rest of us.

And who does this anti-politician propaganda benefit? The rich and powerful - the same place a lot of it comes from. The ballot box is the one place we are all equal, after all.
    I 100% disagree. If they thought that they'd be more balanced in their voting. I think the people who vote have something they care about but don't reflect the rest of their age cohort. They'd don't think politicians are the same, they don't t think about politics full stop. They haven't experienced or thought about politics much at all in the first place. They simply and frankly don't care.

I doubt they've had enough conversations about politics for "they're all the same" to even feature that highly in their thinking.
  • Options

I saw some early postings on the US politics this morning and it was so funny to see poster after poster trying to get HYUFD to admit he called Sanders wrong without any success whatsover

I do agree with the poster who suggested to accept you are wrong on occasions is good for the soul, but I am holding my breath for HYUFD

Sanders had a terrific day.

OK, the electoral results were a bit shit but it’s more than compensated for by Bloomberg’s endorsement.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I have spoken to my doctor about my current infection today and am taking another course of anti biotics. He said I was in the highest risk factor which I did know but was unable to advise whether or not I should travel to Vancouver in May

My wife and I will take that decision at the end of April and if we decide not to go we lose our air fare. However, the hotel and other costs are free to cancel with no penalty

I have noticed reports of planes flying with few passengers and that does not look as if it is going to change anytime soon

However, I agree with you Cyclefree and do read 'eadric'posts but am not influenced by his somewhat scary stories but he is an important poster.

I fear that last might be the most risky thing in your post.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OK, the electoral results were a bit shit but it’s more than compensated for by Bloomberg’s endorsement.
    Eh?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Eh?
    Bloomberg endorsed Biden. Best news imaginable for Sanders.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

I fear that last might be the most risky thing in your post.
    Yes missed out 'not' !!!!
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Andy_JS said:

Its close in Maine.

On the other hand Bernie is only just in excess of 250,000 ahead in California
    I not that AK and PB, between then have 278,000 so more than the margin that Bernie won by.

Had they pulled out before the early voting started?????

Probably not as 10% might have gone for sanders and 10% might not have voted for anybody.

But still sanders looks like he has 'won' California with less that 32%

Note: Counting still ongoing so numbers and % may change.
  • Options
    Interesting to know how many posters on here had parents that were interested in politics, watched the news and reacted to it. We are quick to claim young people just are not interested but are the just reflecting their parents?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Highest risk? Does your doc know you are only 20? ;)
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I wish but my doctor sees me as 76
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,372
    The new 007 title is rather unfortunate given the current outbreak...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Back in September he thought Warren was going to be the nominee.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,733

Cyclefree said:

The point about planes needing to keep flying so that airlines do not forfeit their slots was raised at PMQs today.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

One does need to separate risk of dying from risk of being infected in the first place. I doubt if Mr G goes to packed night clubs or othe mass events but I would think twice about going to this years eistddord.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Back in September he thought Warren was going to be the nominee.
    He did rather rabbit on about that.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The point about planes needing to keep flying so that airlines do not forfeit their slots was raised at PMQs today.
    Yes I heard that
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Cyclefree said:

Sounds like heresy to me.
  • Options
    Some of today's news from the Sky website:

"Migrant 'shot dead by Greek police' at Turkish border
    Turkey says Greek forces killed a migrant and wounded five others but Greece says the claims are "fake news"."
    https://news.sky.com/story/migrant-shot-dead-by-greek-police-at-turkish-border-11949436

"Flybe could collapse in days amid outbreak-related slump in bookings
    Sources said on Wednesday that there was a possibility that Flybe could fall into administration within a matter of days."
    https://news.sky.com/story/regional-airline-flybe-in-last-ditch-talks-to-avert-collapse-11949393

"Italy shuts all schools and universities as deaths rise
    Italy's prime minister says the health service could be overwhelmed - as authorities plan to expand the quarantine "red zone"."
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-italy-shuts-schools-and-universities-as-deaths-rise-11949431
  • Options

They could just change it to 'Wash Your Bloody Hands' to strike the right note.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    edited March 2020
    nichomar said:

Interesting to know how many posters on here had parents that were interested in politics, watched the news and reacted to it. We are quick to claim young people just are not interested but are the just reflecting their parents?

I cannot blame my parents for be becoming a geeky spod, I don't recall either of them discussing politics with me on a single occasion in my formative years. I've sinced learned my father has voted for pretty much everyone including OMRLP, and has gone from membership of a Conservative club (though how passionately I know not) to Corbynista. No telling with some people. He did state when I was a teen that Labour won under Blair by becoming the Tories, so maybe that was a sign, though it was without criticism at the time.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

nichomar said:

As a boy, I watched my Dad read a broadsheet newspaper - either Guardian or the Times - from beginning to end, front page to sports, every day. It took him half an hour or more.

But wow he was well informed, and I picked up the habit, and read a serious newspaper every day until about 10 years ago (now I pick and choose articles online)

It's a great but unspoken loss - the reading of the papers. A good newspaper tells you about lots of different stuff, not just stuff you already know you find interesting. It broadens the mind and sharpens the vocabulary.

It is sad the habit is dying out.
    I wonder where we would be on coronavirus without internet and only a printed press and daily TV news (not rolling 24hrs). I doubt it would be on the front pages in the UK (yet).
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Cyclefree said:

One does need to separate risk of dying from risk of being infected in the first place. I doubt if Mr G goes to packed night clubs or othe mass events but I would think twice about going to this years eistddord.
    Mr and Mrs Big G are fortunate that we only socialise with our family, have not been in a cinema since the first screening of South Pacific, and generally enjoy our home and garden. Our days at going to events are long past so we are fortunate in that respect and actually to self isolate would be relatively easy
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,857
    eadric said:

nichomar said:

As a boy, I watched my Dad read a broadsheet newspaper - either Guardian or the Times - from beginning to end, front page to sports, every day. It took him half an hour or more.

But wow he was well informed, and I picked up the habit, and read a serious newspaper every day until about 10 years ago (now I pick and choose articles online)

It's a great but unspoken loss - the reading of the papers. A good newspaper tells you about lots of different stuff, not just stuff you already know you find interesting. It broadens the mind and sharpens the vocabulary.

The quality of journalism is too.

The Telegraph used to be up there with the Times.

It’s now absolute shite.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340

kamski said:

Cyclefree said:

I 100% disagree. If they thought that they'd be more balanced in their voting. I think the people who vote have something they care about but don't reflect the rest of their age cohort. They'd don't think politicians are the same, they don't t think about politics full stop. They haven't experienced or thought about politics much at all in the first place. They simply and frankly don't care.

I doubt they've had enough conversations about politics for "they're all the same" to even feature that highly in their thinking.
    The ones who don't vote are pretty much by definition "balanced in their voting"

Sure some don't care, but most of the ones I know are very political but are sadly convinced that voting is a sham
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    eadric said:

Cyclefree said:

nichomar said:

Cyclefree said:

How do you make your own?

I have a shagload of sanitiser in the loft, thanks to some - ahem - clairvoyance, but if this drags on for months even that will run out (given that you're meant to use it ten times a day etc)

AIUI you need 60% alcohol and aloe vera. Where does one buy 60% alky?
    Stroh rum.
  • Options

They could just change it to 'Wash Your Bloody Hands' to strike the right note.
    To be honest it was a crap and unimaginative Bond film title to start with.

I just think the whole franchise struggles without the creativity and imagination of Ian Fleming.

Only one I can think of who’s got the broad flavour right (in novels) is Anthony Horowitz.
  • Options

eadric said:

nichomar said:

I wonder where we would be on coronavirus without internet and only a printed press and daily TV news (not rolling 24hrs). I doubt it would be on the front pages in the UK (yet).
    And if there was ‘fog in channel’ Europe would be ‘cut off’
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Options
    Strong team for Leicester, but Birmingham no pushover and in form.

Off to the match shortly, before this sort of thing gets banned.

Odds have come in a bit but too short on Birmingham still.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Strong team for Leicester, but Birmingham no pushover and in form.

Off to the match shortly, before this sort of thing gets banned.

Odds have come in a bit but too short on Birmingham still.

• Options
  • Options
    Those looking for value on Sanders would probably be best considering the 20/1 on him to be Next President.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

eadric said:

Cyclefree said:

nichomar said:

Cyclefree said:

I have a shagload of sanitiser in the loft, thanks to some - ahem - clairvoyance, but if this drags on for months even that will run out (given that you're meant to use it ten times a day etc)

Stroh rum.
    Surgical spirit. Boots.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

eadric said:

nichomar said:

The quality of journalism is too.

The Telegraph used to be up there with the Times.

It’s now absolute shite.
    And that’s not a massively high bar. Ultimately I feel that newspapers went wrong when they started treating opinion as news. And unfortunately it’s even something that has infested the TV news channels these days. Constant editorialising when people need the facts.
  • Options

eadric said:

Cyclefree said:

nichomar said:

Cyclefree said:

Stroh rum.
    Woods 100 is rather good rum, and at 57% abv (if drunk neat!) Is virucidal for Coronavirus (estimated 40 something % required) so Splice the Mainbrace and get ready to go over the top!

• Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Remember when we worried about a No-Deal Brexit, comparable to That Time It Snowed but a little longer? Good times!
  • Options
    nichomar said:

My parents had a normal interest in politics. My mum is a Conservative of the Christian Democrat type (she disapproves of Boris Johnson). My dad proudly boasted of being a promiscuous floating voter. They talked about politics occasionally. It was not a big part of home life though.

My mum knows I bet on politics, essentially disapproves but occasionally coyly asks me what I think is going to happen about some events. I usually disappoint her with my lack of certainty.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,302

Foxy said:

584 new cases and 28 deaths in Italy today :-(

I'm still struggling to understand why Italy seems to have such a worse handle on the situation than so many other places. A different strain ? A different age profile ? Poor organisation ? Different data ? What's the reason.
    It is antigenically a slightly different strain, but I don't think Italy is handling it badly. Just unlucky that it hit there first.
    Obviously luck is part of it, but also note the hand washing stats from 2015 (someone posted this yesterday but relevant to above question)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-european-countries-that-wash-their-hands-least-after-going-to-the-toilet-a6757711.html

In relation to its size Venice might also be the most visited European tourist city for Chinese travellers.
    Hmm. Not quite sure I accept this outrageous slur about our national hygiene:

The accuracy of the results, however, may be debatable after a 2011 study found that, while 95 per cent of Britons claim to wash their hands after visiting the bathroom, barely a tenth actually do.

Seems ridiculously low to me and how could they possibly verify it?
    WTF?

I don't believe that only one in ten wash their hands after using the bathroom.

I mean kids... sure... But the rest of us?
  • Options
    Starmer recommits to nationalising everything. Bloody hell.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Monkeys said:

Remember when we worried about a No-Deal Brexit, comparable to That Time It Snowed but a little longer? Good times!

I remember the times when 1000s of pixels were wasted on debates over Gregg's pasty taxes and if the chancellor should order a posh burger or not.....

This outbreak does put into perspective all the nonsense about supply shortages if we hard Brexit'ed, when if 20%+ of the population is off work for weeks on end, then we will really see genuine shortages.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    This didn't count for much in the end.

https://twitter.com/Zigmanfreud/status/1233899404517527552
  • Options
    eadric said:

Monkeys said:

I was thinking just that today. O for the horrors of No Deal Brexit! A big new lorry park in Kent! A slight shortage of Brie! Possible difficulties with pensions for expats that will nonetheless get sorted!

Now we have: millions will die, entire countries will collapse. Regents Park will become a tented mortuary.

Feck.
    Are you sure you aren’t getting the two mixed up? ;)

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eadric said:

The absolute irony of this deeply stupid post

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1235268044470898688?s=20

This guy was one of the biggest Project Fearmongers against Brexit. Now he wants to dismiss coronavirus as media hype

I think he is wrong; generally the scarier a CV headline, the more boringly authoritative the source turns out to be. There's a shedload of *really* frightening stuff from China and Iran on twitter, but it isn't breaking through to MSM. Indeed, I am struck by the lack of reporting from Our Man On The Spot in Wuhan or Tehran: having that footage either confirmed, or debunked, by a reliable source would clarify things a lot.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Starmer recommits to nationalising everything. Bloody hell.

No wonder Long Bailey is not gaining any traction with the left.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

eadric said:

Cyclefree said:

nichomar said:

Cyclefree said:

Stroh rum.
    Surgical spirit. Boots.
    I wouldn’t recommend @eadric drinks surgical spirit should the panic pass quicker than expected.
  • Options

nichomar said:

My parents had a normal interest in politics. My mum is a Conservative of the Christian Democrat type (she disapproves of Boris Johnson). My dad proudly boasted of being a promiscuous floating voter. They talked about politics occasionally. It was not a big part of home life though.

My mum knows I bet on politics, essentially disapproves but occasionally coyly asks me what I think is going to happen about some events. I usually disappoint her with my lack of certainty.
    Same with my parents.

They basically think gambling is a decadent sin (and slightly non-U) but also ask me questions I can’t answer too.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Monkeys said:

I remember the times when 1000s of pixels were wasted on debates over Gregg's pasty taxes and if the chancellor should order a posh burger or not.....

This outbreak does put into perspective all the nonsense about supply shortages if we hard Brexit'ed, when if 20%+ of the population is off work for weeks on end, then we will really see genuine shortages.
    Before I discovered PB. I trust we considered Byron to be downmarket overpriced crap?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

twitter.com/Zigmanfreud/status/1233899404517527552

They are getting a shock like all the Corybnistas here...
  • Options
    eadric said:

Monkeys said:

I was thinking just that today. O for the horrors of No Deal Brexit! A big new lorry park in Kent! A slight shortage of Brie! Possible difficulties with pensions for expats that will nonetheless get sorted!

Now we have: millions will die, entire countries will collapse. Regents Park will become a tented mortuary.

Feck.
    I keep imagining the gorgeous professional young women in my office naked.

Can you help?
  • Options

eadric said:

Monkeys said:

Feck.

Can you help?
    Do you expect him to send more gorgeous professional women?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Did a load of tweets and some rallies not cut the mustard? Weird.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

584 new cases and 28 deaths in Italy today :-(

I'm still struggling to understand why Italy seems to have such a worse handle on the situation than so many other places. A different strain ? A different age profile ? Poor organisation ? Different data ? What's the reason.
    It is antigenically a slightly different strain, but I don't think Italy is handling it badly. Just unlucky that it hit there first.
    Obviously luck is part of it, but also note the hand washing stats from 2015 (someone posted this yesterday but relevant to above question)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-european-countries-that-wash-their-hands-least-after-going-to-the-toilet-a6757711.html

In relation to its size Venice might also be the most visited European tourist city for Chinese travellers.
    Hmm. Not quite sure I accept this outrageous slur about our national hygiene:

The accuracy of the results, however, may be debatable after a 2011 study found that, while 95 per cent of Britons claim to wash their hands after visiting the bathroom, barely a tenth actually do.

Seems ridiculously low to me and how could they possibly verify it?
    WTF?

I don't believe that only one in ten wash their hands after using the bathroom.

I mean kids... sure... But the rest of us?
    Alas, in hospitals and laboratories, the results are shocking too. How can you tell? - cameras on the wash basins, then simple counting.

The way Johns Hopkins finally got rid of its intractable central line infection issues? - resetting the culture to allow nurses to speak up if they saw that surgeons had not washed their hands or had otherwise not followed good hygiene, or if anyone did not follow the protocol for putting in a line.
  • Options

eadric said:

Monkeys said:

Feck.

Can you help?
    Do you expect him to send more gorgeous professional women?
    Now, there’s an idea.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,639

Andy_JS said:

They came, they chanted, they clapped, they waved posters.

And then they forgot to turn out to vote.
  • Options
    eadric said:

isam said:
    We should be doing that here. Now. Why are we still hosting France in a massive rugby match, with tens of thousands of visitors?!?!

Nuts.
    As the expert said this morning, pushing people into pubs and front rooms to watch it on TV is more risky. In an open air stadium the worst is that a carrier infects the people sitting either side. So it’s cancel, or hold, not hold with no audience.
  • Options

This discussion has been closed.