Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s impeachment has almost no impact on the WH2020 betting

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s impeachment has almost no impact on the WH2020 betting – he’s still an evens chance to win

The betdata/io chart shows the latest WH2020 betting and as can be seen Trump remains the evens favourite to secure re-election in November next year. The overnight apparently dramatic news that this is only the third time in US history that the House of Representatives has voted in this way was widely anticipated and, of course, only the Senate can remove him from office.

Read the full story here

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    First.
  • Looks like impeachment is improving Trump's odds of winning re-election according to the market. 😭
  • Is Jezza going to be a graceless tw@t again today?
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,879
    Really tough spot for Pelosi. She knows this impeachment may backfire politically but at the same time, it would be a complete dereliction of duty to just allow Trump's crimes to go entirely unanswered.
  • Is Jezza going to be a graceless tw@t again today?

Is the Pope Catholic?
  • FPT
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

Hiliary Benn on Sky continuing to do his best to keep losing votes for Labour via his inner Mr Stop Brexit.

There are very many who are understandably upset that Brexit is lost to the remain cause and it is like bereavement, time will be needed for them to adjust to the dramatic change in their hopes and dreams

Wise words, MrG. If we are to heal as a country, an understanding of this is required. Sadly, I am not sure that healing is on the agenda!

Your old mucker Boris explicitly said it was in his victory speech.
    Boris says one thing and does another.
    1.01 weighs in

Oh of course! Let the division remain!!

isam said:

Hiliary Benn on Sky continuing to do his best to keep losing votes for Labour via his inner Mr Stop Brexit.

There are very many who are understandably upset that Brexit is lost to the remain cause and it is like bereavement, time will be needed for them to adjust to the dramatic change in their hopes and dreams

Wise words, MrG. If we are to heal as a country, an understanding of this is required. Sadly, I am not sure that healing is on the agenda!

And as we know, his word is his bond.

It's obviously not on a lot of people's agenda, takes two to make up
    Saying you want healing and then legislating to promote a hard Brexit are not compatible.
    Sure it is. Healing can occur post-Brexit.
    What concessions do you think Boris will give?
    To whom?
    To the people with whom he wants to heal.
    He will Get Brexit Done.

For too long many opponents of Brexit were stuck in the first stage of grief (shock and denial). Mr Meeks of this parish has got stuck on the anger stage. Once Brexit is done people can move onwards to acceptance and healing can begin.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    On twitter there is a Laura Pidcock letter to constituents, apparently.

It is apparently quite amusing.
  • Queen wearing Brexit Party Blue?

Corbyn ignores Johnson walking like a zombie, good natured shoving & pushing between Thornberry & Blackford
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Someone tell Corbs to cheer up. :p
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    In response to @Philip_Thompson (FPT):-

“That article talks about “ongoing ... prosecutions”. If that is a reference to NI then it suggests that the government is seeking to stop the prosecution of Soldier F, charged with two murders. I bloody hope not.

Double jeopardy already applies and does not need new legislation, unless the government is preparing to repeal the legislation which allowed the retrials of the killers of Stephen Lawrence. And retrospective legislation has always been contrary to English law, except in very specific circumstances.

It still remains to be seen exactly what mischief needs to be addressed which cannot already be dealt with using the existing law. Or whether the government is really trying to give certain groups immunity from the law.”
  • Emily Thornberry being a graceless tw@t it seems. Not walking with her opposite number.
  • Cyclefree said:

“That article talks about “ongoing ... prosecutions”. If that is a reference to NI then it suggests that the government is seeking to stop the prosecution of Soldier F, charged with two murders. I bloody hope not.

Double jeopardy already applies and does not need new legislation, unless the government is preparing to repeal the legislation which allowed the retrials of the killers of Stephen Lawrence. And retrospective legislation has always been contrary to English law, except in very specific circumstances.

It still remains to be seen exactly what mischief needs to be addressed which cannot already be dealt with using the existing law. Or whether the government is really trying to give certain groups immunity from the law.”

Indeed we will see. The bits I quoted seem reasonable, the devil will indeed be in the details though.
  • Emily Thornberry being a graceless tw@t it seems. Not walking with her opposite number.

You shock me.
  • nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Why don't you read it first, then report back.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Cyclefree said:

Indeed we will see. The bits I quoted seem reasonable, the devil will indeed be in the details though.
    I disagree about them being reasonable. But we will see. The rule of law is the foundation stone of democracy and a free country. I am genuinely concerned about Boris’s - and the new Tory party’s - instincts in this regard.
  • Royal Commission on Criminal Justice

You shock me.
    I read it.

tl;dr - it wasn't Corbyn's fault
    tl;dr - it was the media and establishment's fault
  • “Minimum levels of service during transport strikes”
  • isam said:
    It's such a sterile debate. Pretty obviously, there's a spectrum. If I wanted to present myself as middle class, I'd say that I was a privately and university educated City professional. If I wanted to present myself as working class, I'd say that I was the son of a printer and the first person in my family to go to university. All of the above is true.

I suspect my mother would define herself as "respectable" long before she thought about being working class or middle class. I can't honestly say I think about being the member of a class from one month to the next.
  • FPT

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

1.01 weighs in

isam said:

Saying you want healing and then legislating to promote a hard Brexit are not compatible.
    To whom?
    He will Get Brexit Done.

For too long many opponents of Brexit were stuck in the first stage of grief (shock and denial). Mr Meeks of this parish has got stuck on the anger stage. Once Brexit is done people can move onwards to acceptance and healing can begin.
    A brief counsellor as well? Is there no end to your talents?!
  • Ban on export of plastic waste outside OECD

FPTA repealed
  • It seems most of the queens speech is about enshrining in law what the government must do! Even the government doesnt trust the government!
  • FPT

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

1.01 weighs in

isam said:

To whom?
    He will Get Brexit Done.

A brief counsellor as well? Is there no end to your talents?!
    I'm not a brief counsellor.

Ban on export of plastic waste outside OECD

FPTA repealed

Glorious news :o
  • Despite my inner republican, it's good to see Her Majesty look like a proper Queen, rather than a Drag Queen :lol:
  • The end of FTPA. Hurrah!
  • Jezza should have told Boris all about how he won the argument....

Despite my inner republican, it's good to see Her Majesty look like a proper Queen, rather than a Drag Queen :lol:

Social conservatives 😜
  • nunu2 said:

https://medium.com/@laura.pidcock.mp/letter-to-the-people-i-represented-406aea893243
  • "Despite the costed manifesto and the painstaking and detailed work of different Labour teams, it didn’t seem achievable. You talked about wanting control back to your country, but when I relayed how a Ministry of Employment Rights would unlock power in the most fundamental way — in the control over your employment and working life — I understand that it did not resonate. I could almost hear media pundits yawning when I tried to talk about the Ministry of Employment Rights."

bleakly funny

“Minimum levels of service during transport strikes”

Good.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    nunu2 said:

Available via the Northern Echo.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rkrkrk said:

Really tough spot for Pelosi. She knows this impeachment may backfire politically but at the same time, it would be a complete dereliction of duty to just allow Trump's crimes to go entirely unanswered.

I don't understand why the Mueller obstruction of justice stuff isn't in this impeachment. Mutiple senior memebers of Trump's campaign tream have been arrested over it, millions of dollars of corrupt payments seized, clear evidence that Trump has covered it up (except when he's blabbing about it). Why is that not in the articles of impeachment?

By making it about Biden it makes this impeachment look like a reaction to Trump going after Dems personally.

It is super weird.

The end of FTPA. Hurrah!

What existed before FTPA? Was it just by convention that the PM had the right to call an election and that the government would fall if it lost a confidence vote? If so, can they just go back to those days? Or does something more precise need to be written down now?
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Are all the Beefeaters at Houses of Parliament today? Who entertains the tourists at the Tower? Or are they like Liverpool FC and have a youth team for the other fixture?

More house buying subsidies to annoy me. Just build more.
  • Jezza looks ready to explode.
    tlg86 said:

The end of FTPA. Hurrah!

What existed before FTPA? Was it just by convention that the PM had the right to call an election and that the government would fall if it lost a confidence vote? If so, can they just go back to those days? Or does something more precise need to be written down now?
    Probably needs to be written down now, but you could write it in such a way that it restores the status quo ante.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    tlg86 said:

The end of FTPA. Hurrah!

Royal Prerogative which once removed cannot be returned.
    tlg86 said:

The end of FTPA. Hurrah!

The precision of the current act is the problem. There needs to be more flexibility.
  • tlg86 said:

The end of FTPA. Hurrah!

The Septennial Act (as amended) existed which was repealed, that can be brought back.

However the mechanism for calling the election was a Royal Prerogative and its not clear how or if that can be brought back. Some argument it can't be brought back but we'll see soon I guess.

Any surprises in the Gracious Speech? I didn't spot any.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Who is May talking to ?

Royal Commission on Criminal Justice

Tories going soft on crime? Or ending automatically release?

Its almost as if the Queen didn't realise he'd won the argument!

Its almost as if the Queen didn't realise he'd won the argument!
    At least he doesn't have to pretend to watch her on Christmas Day anymore.
  • Ian Blackford sitting in Dennis Skinner’s old seat.....as leader of the third largest contingent of MPs I suppose it makes sense...or does it by tradition go to the longest serving opposition MP?

Either way we’ve traded one tedious windbag for another...
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Is Jezza going to be a graceless tw@t again today?

Today specifically, as opposed to any other day?
  • Are all the Beefeaters at Houses of Parliament today? Who entertains the tourists at the Tower? Or are they like Liverpool FC and have a youth team for the other fixture?

The government isn't in the business of building houses. House building companies do it and they do it to meet demand.

If people find it easier to buy homes, then that encourages companies to build more homes. One feeds the other. It is simple supply and demand.
  • I think he might quit earlier than planned.. He's really not happy
    https://twitter.com/CoxeyLoxey/status/1207612442940977152?s=20
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019

I think he might quit earlier than planned.. He's really not happy
    twitter.com/CoxeyLoxey/status/1207612442940977152?s=20

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh....bad tempered Magic Grandpa.

I reckon he goes full Gavin Belson when he loses it.

To be fair what has he got to be happy about?

Are all the Beefeaters at Houses of Parliament today? Who entertains the tourists at the Tower? Or are they like Liverpool FC and have a youth team for the other fixture?

The government isn't in the business of building houses. House building companies do it and they do it to meet demand.

If people find it easier to buy homes, then that encourages companies to build more homes. One feeds the other. It is simple supply and demand.
    The government supplies the bung and the executives provide the demand for bonuses.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    algarkirk said:

nunu2 said:

Brief summary: Bafflement that people don't love Jeremy. Jeremy is brilliant. The manifesto was brilliant. Everything would have been brilliant had Labour got in to power. A Labour Brexit would have been brilliant and everyone would have been happy. Now, we'll get a Tory Brexit and everyone will be sad. It's all the media's fault. They won't let you see Jeremy like I see him.

And there seems to be £27 at 75 on Betfair that he'll go this year

To be fair what has he got to be happy about?
    He won the argument.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    Alistair said:

rkrkrk said:

I don't understand why the Mueller obstruction of justice stuff isn't in this impeachment. Mutiple senior memebers of Trump's campaign tream have been arrested over it, millions of dollars of corrupt payments seized, clear evidence that Trump has covered it up (except when he's blabbing about it). Why is that not in the articles of impeachment?

By making it about Biden it makes this impeachment look like a reaction to Trump going after Dems personally.

It is super weird.
    There has been talk of further House investigations as some of the Special Counsel material that was presented to grand juries becomes available. And if Trump's tax records are finally released that should be another gold mine.

Remember the almighty clusterf*** that were the Theresa May exit date markets?
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

nunu2 said:

Brief summary: Bafflement that people don't love Jeremy. Jeremy is brilliant. The manifesto was brilliant. Everything would have been brilliant had Labour got in to power. A Labour Brexit would have been brilliant and everyone would have been happy. Now, we'll get a Tory Brexit and everyone will be sad. It's all the media's fault. They won't let you see Jeremy like I see him.
    Funny, I was just going to summarise Laura Pidcock's letter to constituents along these lines!
  • tlg86 said:

The government supplies the bung and the executives provide the demand for bonuses.
    They'll only get bonuses if they're making a profit and they'll only be making a profit if they're both building and selling more homes.

House building rates are at record levels and home ownership rates are going up. The policies are working as intended.

Lol it's obviously a lay.
    On topic. It's not surprising the markets haven't moved. There's no chance of him being convicted in the Senate, and the impeachment process only hardens the resolve of himself and his supporters.
    Thanks for the answers on the FTPA.
  • I really don't know how Jezza would have coped as PM. He barely manages to keep it together working 4 days a week. Imagine what he would have been like having to be 24/7.
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

nunu2 said:

And it's the Conservatives fault for putting up a candidate, and the voters come in for gentle stick for voting for him. New Labour is not without blame; one more heave to the left should sort it, along with a campaign explaining better why vile Tory scum (whom I shall never kiss) should vote for me.

Apart from those self evident truths her letter is all nonsense.

• Pulpstar said:

Lol it's obviously a lay.
    Brave, at 979/1!
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.120629015
  • Pulpstar said:

Tories need more private housing by hook or crook, University is a great factory for producing Labour voters; home ownership a fab one for Making new Tories

Indeed and Help to Buy has been working with that. Any more ways they can make Help to Buy work to improve home ownership rates is great for producing Tory voters - and great for the people getting out of renting and on to the housing ladder.

It baffles me why some on this site are unhappy with policies that are ensuring house building is occuring and home ownership rates are going up.
  • Are all the Beefeaters at Houses of Parliament today? Who entertains the tourists at the Tower? Or are they like Liverpool FC and have a youth team for the other fixture?

Regulation and the associated planning requirements and local plans are the biggest brake on house building.

Regulation and the associated planning requirements and local plans are the biggest brake on house building.
    Indeed so deregulation while continuing with Help to Buy policies would be a good next step at escalating the building that is occuring already at record levels and further increase our current increase in home ownership rates.

I would support abolition of the green belt but I'm aware that's a niche view.
  • Sandpit said:

Remember the almighty clusterf*** that were the Theresa May exit date markets?
    She continued as acting leader iirc. I reckon if JC steps down he'll do it properly like EdM

Planning rules are being reformed (yet again).

• I'm not a brief counsellor.

Ha, still, predictive text at least gives an accurate assessment of any putative counselling career you might be considering.
  • New homes bonus has been very useful in getting councils to free up available sites for housing...
    I think much of the new housing stock is overpriced garbage but it's superior to renting for the owners. Which is all it needs to beat really.
    Pulpstar said:

I think much of the new housing stock is overpriced garbage but it's superior to renting for the owners. Which is all it needs to beat really.

The Tories better hope house prices don't crash at the next recession.
    Pulpstar said:

Tories need more private housing by hook or crook, University is a great factory for producing Labour voters; home ownership a fab one for Making new Tories

Is that true at current house price to income ratios?

• isamisam Posts: 40,722

isam said:
    It's such a sterile debate. Pretty obviously, there's a spectrum. If I wanted to present myself as middle class, I'd say that I was a privately and university educated City professional. If I wanted to present myself as working class, I'd say that I was the son of a printer and the first person in my family to go to university. All of the above is true.

I suspect my mother would define herself as "respectable" long before she thought about being working class or middle class. I can't honestly say I think about being the member of a class from one month to the next.
    It is relevant because there is a vacancy for labour leader, and several of the candidates are desperate to portray themselves in class terms.
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

The Tories had better keep interest rates low then - as the overpriced garbage (for it often really is both too small and poorly built) is only cheaper than renting because typical mortgage interest rates are below 3% (Standard Variable rates are higher but most people remortgage at the end of each term).
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    "And no one who needs care has to sell their home to pay for it".

Are we any nearer knowing who will pay for it? General taxation? A charge on the estate after death?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    isam said:
    Someone who knows what working class means
    edited December 2019

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

nunu2 said:

Funny, I was just going to summarise Laura Pidcock's letter to constituents along these lines!
    To be fair to Laura Pidcock, she explores and mines a rich vein of unconscious - maybe subconscious - humour following a long and distinguished left tradition. She jumps straight from the pages of Beachcomber or Peter Simple. Her entertainment value is endless and I shall miss her - as we miss John Prescott. Whereas, say, Lloyd RM or Burgon, or even the great Jezza, are bullying humourless amateurs by comparison.

Could she not be found a seat in Bootle or Walton or somewhere where she can carry on her important work without having to worry about getting anyone to vote for her?

• Brexit Department has got the chop.
    eek said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

The Tories had better keep interest rates low then - as the overpriced garbage (for it often really is both too small and poorly built) is only cheaper than renting because typical mortgage interest rates are below 3% (Standard Variable rates are higher but most people remortgage at the end of each term).
    It's the dog that doesn't bark. When was the last time the media talked about monetary policy? A big part of why we are so divided as a country is because of low interest rates. Yet, journalists, many of whom have done very well out of this arrangement, don't want to talk about it.
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

A period of sub inflation/sub wage increase growth in house prices is best for the Tories.
    Nominal gains so remortgaging etc isn't a problem for owners but increasing affordability.
  • tlg86 said:

The end of FTPA. Hurrah!

It was all based on a letter to The Times, no really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lascelles_Principles
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    So the heckle died with Dennis Skinner's career.

Disappointing. Boo.

What was wrong with "D'oh, Jeremy Corbyn".
  • Yeah The Rise Of Skywalker was a good way to this trilogy but it was no Endgame.
  • Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

A period of sub inflation/sub wage increase growth in house prices is best for the Tories.
    Nominal gains so remortgaging etc isn't a problem for owners but increasing affordability.
    That's what's happened in recent years I believe. House price to wage ratios are coming down again.

Its a function of improved housebuilding rates I suspect. The more building that occurs the less pressure on house price inflation there is.
  • Yeah The Rise Of Skywalker was a good way to this trilogy but it was no Endgame.

No Mandalorian then :-)
  • twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1207626835066007554?s=20

It is clear he is going to be a sad angry man screaming at the moon even after he steps down.

No Baby [spoilers] either.
    Decision for the remortgage - 5 years or 2.... genuinely tricky to work out.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    He's entitled to be pissed off. It's literally a ritual humiliation. Losing to someone like Boris really has to hurt. Fair play to him.
  • I wonder if this'll backfire.

It may well cause his base to turn out, but that won't matter if floating voters are against him.
  • I wonder if this'll backfire.

It may well cause his base to turn out, but that won't matter if floating voters are against him.

There's a huge risk it backfires like the Benn Act.

No Baby [spoilers] either.
    To be fair, the 2 most recent episodes of the Baby [censored], I mean Mandalorian, has been quite good.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,722
    It’s the happiest line in Britain... here’s what you would’ve won!
This discussion has been closed.