Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Septuagenarians continue to dominate the Democratic nomination

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Septuagenarians continue to dominate the Democratic nomination race to face septuagenarian Trump

We are now just six and a half weeks off the first big event in WH2020 – the Iowa caucuses on February 3rd when those seeking the Democratic nomination will face their first electoral test with real voters. The crowded field has slimmed back a bit with former favourite Kamala Harris pulling out but there are a lot of contenders still there.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Bugger.
  • In stark contrast to my next Labour leader market, my Democratic nomination bets are an unhappy affair.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Bugger.

Another first? Suspicious.
  • In stark contrast to my next Labour leader market, my Democratic nomination bets are an unhappy affair.

Ditto.
  • What’s the plural of caucus?

Is it caucusii?
  • Apart from Churchill, who was something of a special case, when did Britain last have a septuagenarian PM?
  • FPT

So if this transfer happens Liverpool’s starting line up will include

Gini, Mini, Mane, Mo.

Takumi Minamino due for Liverpool medical to seal move from RB Salzburg

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/18/takumi-minamino-due-for-liverpool-medical-to-seal-move-from-rb-salzburg

Would he be a starting player or a squad player? If he's going to be a starting player that is outstandingly good value!
    I think he’ll be first choice when Mane or Salah aren’t playing this season.

But eventually he’ll become a first choice.
    You think he'll be picked ahead of Origi? Who's he going to be first choice ahead of? Or just eventually when someone moves on?
    No, just given our fixture pile up in the second half of the season, I’d expect the front three to be rotated and Origi, Shaqiri, and Minamino to play a fair bit.

Minamino is similar to Mane and Salah, so when they aren’t playing he’d be logical choice.
    Makes sense. And while fixture congestion due to Qatar won't happen every season congestion due to 4 regular competitions each season should. Champions League runs should not be a rarity so makes sense to plan for congestion being for life not just for Christmas.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

In stark contrast to my next Labour leader market, my Democratic nomination bets are an unhappy affair.

Trust in my Girl Liz and you will be fine in the end.

Apart from Churchill, who was something of a special case, when did Britain last have a septuagenarian PM?

Chamberlain, 1940.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prime_ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_age
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    RobD said:

Apart from Churchill, who was something of a special case, when did Britain last have a septuagenarian PM?

Chamberlain, 1940.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prime_ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_age
    Didn't turn out well, did it.

From where I'm standing, we've got to give these young people a chance.
  • I’m ok so long as Bloomberg and Yang crash and burn, and Clinton doesn’t go on an ego trip.
  • It is a fascinating cultural difference. They’d get nowhere in the leadership race for a major British party, simply on the basis of age. I wonder what drives that?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited December 2019
    Bloomberg is a slight worry, but I think everyone has seen his ads by now and made up their mind.
    I don't think it's realistic to win when you skip the first 4 contests.
    The top (And most realistic 4) are happy valley in my book anyway.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    The PM of Malaysia is 94, these candidates are too young!
    If I was starting the book De Novo, Biden looks like a superior chance than 25% I think. He's kept a consistent lead in national polling, is well liked by the party and is competitive for the lead in all early states.

The reasons he's being bet against are the sort of fluff that caused twitter to think Labour were going to win last week.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    edited December 2019

I’m ok so long as Bloomberg and Yang crash and burn, and Clinton doesn’t go on an ego trip.

Have covered Bloomberg but am the same otherwise.
    But if Julian Castro, Klobuchar or Booker can somehow get back into it...
    Here's a thought - May back in the Cabinet? I've often thought it a shame ex PMs usually bugger off now or take lower profiles, especially if they might be good ministers even if not good pms.

Probably too soon, and theres ERGers to reward
  • kle4 said:

Here's a thought - May back in the Cabinet? I've often thought it a shame ex PMs usually bugger off now or take lower profiles, especially if they might be good ministers even if not good pms.

Make her Northern Ireland Secretary.
  • kle4 said:

I'm really impressed that TMay hasn't 'done one' and has returned to the backbenches and continue to be a constituency MP ... fair play to her.
  • kle4 said:

not Brexit sec?
  • kle4 said:

not Brexit sec?
    That job’s getting abolished in January.

I think Mrs May is the ideal person to explain why putting a border in the Irish Sea is a brilliant idea.
  • kle4 said:

We'll pass on that idea, lol.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,730
    isam said:
    Bit tight against the pillars there, and no mic system? Time to use a different room.
    kle4 said:

Home didn't, in the 70's.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393

What’s the plural of caucus?

Is it caucusii?

Morecus
    If Yvette Cooper is going to run for the leadership again, she needs to be a damn sight more inspiring than last time.

If her and Burnham hadn't been so vanilla in 2015 Jezza wouldn't have had a look-in.

kle4 said:

In fairness I have a slightly different perspective of what constitutes recent happenings than your fine self ;)

If Yvette Cooper is going to run for the leadership again, she needs to be a damn sight more inspiring than last time.

If her and Burnham hadn't been so vanilla in 2015 Jezza wouldn't have had a look-in.

None will make the mistake of backing a tory proposal in a vote though.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Is it caucusii?

Caucuses. It's a relatively recent addition to the English language and irregular plurals are now considered linguistically closed. See also strong verbs.
    The country made a bit of an error in not giving Johnson a large enough majority...

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1207189304784625664 :*
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    I agree with Pulpstar that Biden shouldn't be underestimated just because he's the boringly obvious choice. I still think Buttigieg flatters to deceive and will fall short in practice. Sanders seems to be edging upwards as the more unambiguous leftie, though the progressive wing really needs to get an early Warren or Sanders decision to avoid Biden winning every contest. Age doesn't seem to be a factor for most voters (even here - among the reasons not to fancy Corbyn, that didn't really feature large), though Sanders will need to reckon that health will be an issue.

The Bloomberg, Clinton and Yang candidacies, by contrast, all look clear lays.
    Pulpstar said:

The country made a bit of an error in not giving Johnson a large enough majority...

Not all ERG will be hardliners. The majority of the ERG backed May's deal, in the end. More important is how many are true believing Spartans and how many would fold if Boris told them to.
  • More definitive evidence that the Brexit Party cost the Tories seats at the GE. About 20 in fact, the consequence of which is that Johnson was denied a 3 figure majority.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nigel-farage-stopped-tories-taking-20-more-seats-say-pollsters-d0wdjppxh

Paul Hilder, chief executive of the polling firm Datapraxis, said: “According to our analysis, there are at least 20 Labour-held seats where the Brexit Party likely cost the Tories victory. One of the things that happened through the campaign was that some of the Labour to Brexit Party switchers came back to Labour, a few went tactically to the Tories and some ended up staying home.” He added: “In seats such as Hartlepool, Rotherham and Barnsley Central and East, between 70 and 90 per cent of Brexit Party voters said they would vote Conservative if it was a two-horse race, with a maximum of 6.5 per cent choosing Labour instead.”

More definitive evidence that the Brexit Party cost the Tories seats at the GE. About 20 in fact, the consequence of which is that Johnson was denied a 3 figure majority.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nigel-farage-stopped-tories-taking-20-more-seats-say-pollsters-d0wdjppxh

Paul Hilder, chief executive of the polling firm Datapraxis, said: “According to our analysis, there are at least 20 Labour-held seats where the Brexit Party likely cost the Tories victory. One of the things that happened through the campaign was that some of the Labour to Brexit Party switchers came back to Labour, a few went tactically to the Tories and some ended up staying home.” He added: “In seats such as Hartlepool, Rotherham and Barnsley Central and East, between 70 and 90 per cent of Brexit Party voters said they would vote Conservative if it was a two-horse race, with a maximum of 6.5 per cent choosing Labour instead.”

So the result was even worse for Labour than the numbers imply? :p
  • BOOM

Emily Thornberry has declared she is entering the race to succeed Jeremy Corbyn, revealing she warned the Labour leadership that backing a Brexit election would be an “act of catastrophic political folly”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/18/emily-thornberry-throws-her-hat-into-ring-for-labour-leadership
  • kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Not all ERG will be hardliners. The majority of the ERG backed May's deal, in the end. More important is how many are true believing Spartans and how many would fold if Boris told them to.
    What Boris has to hope for is that the ERG thing hasn't become a cult in itself, with people attracted to its notoriety, scheming and power to destroy and humiliate prime ministers. If its members are there because they get a kick out of causing trouble then Boris may have problems.
  • BOOM

Emily Thornberry has declared she is entering the race to succeed Jeremy Corbyn, revealing she warned the Labour leadership that backing a Brexit election would be an “act of catastrophic political folly”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/18/emily-thornberry-throws-her-hat-into-ring-for-labour-leadership

She was holed below the line before she even started.

• So Emily Thornberry is going to try and win the Labour leadership at the same time as taking Caroline Flint to court.

What larks.

BOOM

Come on Emily!
    [poster failed to declare a financial interest in this outcome].
    David Miliband is out to 500-1.

Backers must have lost faith.
  • If Emily Thornberry wins the Labour leadership contest then I'm joining the Labour party.

Finally I will have a leader that shares my worldview on the Brexiteers/Working Class voters.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762

I agree with Pulpstar that Biden shouldn't be underestimated just because he's the boringly obvious choice. I still think Buttigieg flatters to deceive and will fall short in practice. Sanders seems to be edging upwards as the more unambiguous leftie, though the progressive wing really needs to get an early Warren or Sanders decision to avoid Biden winning every contest. Age doesn't seem to be a factor for most voters (even here - among the reasons not to fancy Corbyn, that didn't really feature large), though Sanders will need to reckon that health will be an issue.

The Bloomberg, Clinton and Yang candidacies, by contrast, all look clear lays.

In fairness reasons not to fancy Corbyn was a pretty crowded field but his relative inexperience in only being a stripling at 70 years of age did not feature too highly.
    rkrkrk said:

BOOM

Come on Emily!
    How much did you get on at 80s or so ?

Managed to pick up £11 at 38.78 just now so she's actually my best realistic result now.
    No idea who laid Thornberry just then at 34s - Thanks very much for such a cheap top up on an obviously major figure anyway.

If Emily Thornberry wins the Labour leadership contest then I'm joining the Labour party.

Finally I will have a leader that shares my worldview on the Brexiteers/Working Class voters.

I think the row might help her amongst the Labour membership. Certainly the ardent momentum remainers - Flint knows why Labour lost the north but the membership doesn't care.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Pulpstar said:

Yes but once the Withdrawal Agreement is passed thanks to the Tory majoroty, Boris could probably extend the transition period with opposition votes if needed, though I doubt he will

BOOM

Thornberry Ken Clarke to Starmer's Portillo and Long-Bailey's IDS?
  • Pulpstar said:

If Emily Thornberry wins the Labour leadership contest then I'm joining the Labour party.

I think the row might help her amongst the Labour membership. Certainly the ardent momentum remainers - Flint knows why Labour lost the north but the membership doesn't care.
    I think she'll annoy the Corbynites by saying she warned against agreeing to Boris Johnson's election.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

In fairness I have a slightly different perspective of what constitutes recent happenings than your fine self ;)
    Understood. Grandson 2 'studied' the Cold War for GCSE History. Found it difficult to understand my memory that it wasn't a straight choice matter for many. Wonder what will happen if he starts looking at such matters as Suez and the CND.
    Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

BOOM

Come on Emily!
    How much did you get on at 80s or so ?

Managed to pick up £11 at 38.78 just now so she's actually my best realistic result now.
    Just a tenner unfortunately. Still hopefully it can help dig me out of a hole.
    Also just read her pitch, rubbish compared to Starmer's. Reads like an I told you so note. I don't think she actually has much chance tbh.
  • Dura_Ace said:

Is it caucusii?

Caucuses. It's a relatively recent addition to the English language and irregular plurals are now considered linguistically closed. See also strong verbs.
    Spoilsport. Coming here with your actual knowledge. I was hoping for Caucii
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes but once the Withdrawal Agreement is passed thanks to the Tory majoroty, Boris could probably extend the transition period with opposition votes if needed, though I doubt he will
    Lol do you really think the opposition is going to help Johnson out if he's in a tight spot ?
    The previous few years have shown that perceived party advantage was ALL that mattered to the opposition - particularly in opposing May's moderate deal.
    I say perceived because it actually was losing them votes hand over fist in the labour leave heartlands.
    They'd rather see the country reduced to ash than help Johnson out :p
    Thornberry standing. Horray! Time to get the flags out!

To me, she epitomises what has gone wrong with the Labour Party. She'll be below RLB on my ballot - if she gets that far.
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Lol do you really think the opposition is going to help Johnson out if he's in a tight spot ?
    The previous few years have shown that perceived party advantage was ALL that mattered to the opposition - particularly in opposing May's moderate deal.
    I say perceived because it actually was losing them votes hand over fist in the labour leave heartlands.
    'Reduced to ash' was a threat/prospect in the 50's, so that should suit the Leavers.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,342
    Dura_Ace said:

Is it caucusii?

Regretfully agree about caucuses. Strong verbs are so interesting it would be great if there were a campaign to think up new ones.
    edited December 2019
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

The opposition will not vote for the Withdrawal Agreement no but it will pass now with the Tory majority, the opposition will vote to extend the transition period though as they voted to extend Article 50
    In betting news, the BBC has just announced 'Bet365 boss Denise Coates has received a £323m payday, confirming her position as the UK's best paid executive.'
  • Dura_Ace said:

Is it caucusii?

Ban this sick filth!
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,342
    HYUFD said:

BOOM

Any comparison between Ken Clarke and the enemy of white van man is doomed to failure.

In betting news, the BBC has just announced 'Bet365 boss Denise Coates has received a £323m payday, confirming her position as the UK's best paid executive.'

First against the wall?

(As Greta might say)
  • has the site been hacked? I get a bitcoin giveaway scam advert in place of the old PB header?
  • has the site been hacked? I get a bitcoin giveaway scam advert in place of the old PB header?

I'll speak to Robert.
    HYUFD said:
    Let's hope so. We don't want all those Daily Mail reading gammons coming back here.
    Who will the first rebel on Europe be ?

I reckon Craig McKinley when we sell Gibraltar off to Spain.
    HYUFD said:
    Great idea. Generosity of spirit. Maybe entitle them to a generic European passport, too.

has the site been hacked? I get a bitcoin giveaway scam advert in place of the old PB header?

Can Peter Jones even believe how much his investment has gone up by ?
    Pulpstar said:

Boris would be toppled as Tory leader in 5 minutes if he even contemplated that
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Thornberry must know she has no chance. Can only think she is trying to keep a top job in the next Shadow Cabinet.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Oops wrong thread. What I meant to say was:

The ERG are fanatics and they are not Conservatives either. They definitely got Brexit but not the one, if we are to believe their support for the Conservative Party, that they wanted. They got it at the expense of the sanctity of the Union, which they have placed in peril.

Great, I hear you and maybe others say, but then again you and others aren't and weren't representatives of the Conservative and Unionist Party.

So they vanquished the windmill but lost a whole lot more, on their own terms.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Artist said:

Thornberry must know she has no chance. Can only think she is trying to keep a top job in the next Shadow Cabinet.

And how is her suing a former colleague going to help her chances?

Why would you want to be part of this shitshow in any case? She hardly distinguished herself as Shadow FS.
    So it is now priced in that Bozo is lying.
  • I know it's not exactly news, but Richard Burgon is getting destroyed on the Daily Politics.
  • algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

BOOM

Any comparison between Ken Clarke and the enemy of white van man is doomed to failure.

Ken Clarke made a career out of offending natural Conservative supporters in the professions as he moved round Whitehall. Imo he was a leading cause of Labour regaining office under Blair.
    Cyclefree said:

Artist said:

And how is her suing a former colleague going to help her chances?

Why would you want to be part of this shitshow in any case? She hardly distinguished herself as Shadow FS.
    Not suing could be seen as admitting it was true. It was her suing that made me think she was planning to run actually.

I know it's not exactly news, but Richard Burgon is getting destroyed on the Daily Politics.

In anticipation that he becomes Shadow Chancellor, can I be the first PBer to say Burgonomics.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited December 2019
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Toppled by who? Even if we accept the Falklands has some totemic value to older Conservatives, why should a party now so careless about breaking up the United Kingdom go to the wall to retain Gibraltar?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Toppled by who? Even if we accept the Falklands has some totemic value to older Conservatives, why should a party now so careless about breaking up the United Kingdom go to the wall to retain Gibraltar?
    Yep good point. Those most noble of Unionists the ERG have just presided over, nay provoked the opening of a pathway to a united Ireland. They aren't going to rise up about tiddly old Gibraltar which, frankly, sounds like a hotbed of foreigners in any case.
  • I've got a bet on Emily from circa 2 years ago... Lord knows with which bookie and probably won't need to find out either!!
  • algarkirk said:

Dura_Ace said:

Is it caucusii?

Regretfully agree about caucuses. Strong verbs are so interesting it would be great if there were a campaign to think up new ones.
    Actually it's not Latin https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/caucus

Dive is a new strong verb, Americans say dove not dived
  • Pulpstar said:

The Deal will simply exclude (not apply) to Gibraltar.

Fabian Picardo has been crystal clear he’d prefer No Deal to any form of sovereignty compromise with Spain.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

HYUFD said:
    Let's hope so. We don't want all those Daily Mail reading gammons coming back here.
    Uncharacteristically nasty for you - and so stereotyped! Must be a Labour supporter.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,730
    felix said:
    Ex pats in Spain breathe a sigh of relief after the fear mongering that they could be sent home?
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    edited December 2019

To me, she epitomises what has gone wrong with the Labour Party. She'll be below RLB on my ballot - if she gets that far.

She would be an absolute disaster. Can do well in the Commons, but as Labour leader she will repel exactly the sort of voters they need to tempt back.
    Looking through constituency results I'm actually coming to the conclusion that Brexit was a bigger issue than Corbyn.

Rotherham, 14376 Labour votes. Even with a sub Foot leader that's scarcely believable.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    isam said:

felix said:
    Ex pats in Spain breathe a sigh of relief after the fear mongering that they could be sent home?
    I doubt many expected that given the noises from the Spanish government. However, options could still be difficult for the poorer ones should the reciprocal healthcare arrangements go. Unlikely but still possible.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Is it caucusii?

Caucasian. Which neatly describes the Iowa electorate.
  • In a negotiation it is normal, indeed required, to lie.

Union : our members won't accept less than 5%. Cost of living, you made lots of profit last year, etc

Employer:we can't go above 3%. Trading conditions not good etc

So when they agree on 4% do we berate both sides for lying? I think not.

Boris has simply made an opening gambit that he wants out by 31 Dec. That can be changed in if necessary (simply by passing another act of Parliament).

It simply is not possible to conduct a negotiation without lying.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

In stark contrast to my next Labour leader market, my Democratic nomination bets are an unhappy affair.

I'm green on the Democratic front runners but red on Hillary. Very red on Trump. Starting to worry.

• nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    felix said:

isam said:

felix said:
    I doubt many expected that given the noises from the Spanish government. However, options could still be difficult for the poorer ones should the reciprocal healthcare arrangements go. Unlikely but still possible.
    Under the Geneva convention they couldn’t send us home but they could make lives more difficult. I’ll have my EU citizenship thank you very much if offered.

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

The Tories made clear in their manifesto they would ban indyref2 in Scotland so of course no compromise with Spain over Gibraltar.

Gibraltar is also over 90% pro UK unlike Northern Ireland which is 50 50 at best
  • Thornberry standing. Horray! Time to get the flags out!

I agree but for me RLB will still be last. Johnson will be very confident of winning in 2024 with either of them there for different reasons. So it comes down to whether you want the cult to consolidate its grip in the meantime, or not.
    edited December 2019

I agree but for me RLB will still be last. Johnson will be very confident of winning in 2024 with either of them there for different reasons. So it comes down to whether you want the cult to consolidate its grip in the meantime, or not.
    RLB would be Labour's IDS, no hugely negative reaction but no positive reaction either, in fact some would probably fail to even recognise she was Labour leader
This discussion has been closed.