Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Septuagenarians continue to dominate the Democratic nomination

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    RobD said:
    It certainly seems like it at times :wink:
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    RobD said:

Wow, there are that many PB Tories?

:)

I've got a 100% record so far as a 3 quidder.

I'm assuming they won't be running a similar system this time?

I think i'd go for RBL/Burgon.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,094
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

I have been doing a little research. I could be wrong, but I think this is the first time since 1919 that Labour have not held a seat in Staffordshire and the first time ever that the Tories have held them all.

Considering this is still an industrial and ex-mining County, it does go to show the collapse of traditional Labour support.

Wikipedia has some helpful charts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Parliamentary_constituencies_in_Staffordshire
    Thanks, although that shows the current not the historic situation.

What’s striking about that is there’s only one constituency - Stoke Central - that even looks close. The rest are fairly safe Tory at the moment. And yet, it’s not long ago that the likes of Cannock and Newcastle under Lyme were considered safe for Labour.

Although that thought should give certain Tories pause as well...
    If you scroll down there are more charts!
    I was just testing, honestly *tries to look innocent and fails dismally*

Thanks, these are very interesting indeed. Do you know if they do them for all counties? Northumberland and Cumbria would be an interesting set.
    I am indeed spoiling you.

There should be links at the bottom for different regions. Thanks to the wikipedia editors who put them together!
    Thanks. No Labour MPs in Cumberland for the first time since 1910 is also pretty damning.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,368
    On class, I'm not sure that voters care about the class of their representatives, it that they want them to understand (and care) about their lives and problems. Someone from a southern working class family (like me) has no more knowledge about what its like to have grown up or to live in one of the areas that has seen a mass employer, whether mining, steel etc, disappear than does a toff in his mansion. There was no reason for those people to choose Corbyn over Johnson, both are clueless about their lives and problems, but Johnson at least seemed to get one bit - the desire for Brexit, whether that desire was wise or not - and didn't pretend to be one of them.

Obviously, this is an outsider view as I'm not really part of that community (I live in a former mining area, but one that's done OKish, and used to live in Newport in Wales, but I grew up elsewhere). I think someone who grew up in or lives in one of those communities and is authentically part of it could have an advantage because they'll have a head start in understanding the problems and may be able to talk about solutions. An outsider, whether working class from elsewhere or a toff can earn the votes if they pay a bit of attention and are seen to be making an effort to understand the problems. There was nothing in the Labour offering for these people (rail travel prices - irrelevant to many, tuition fees - likewise if you/your peers/your children are not going to university and doubly so if those who do go to university move away from hte constituency to where the good jobs are, free broadband - you've other more pressing problems, nationalised utilities with reduced charges - limited relevance if you're nowhere near making ends meet anyway). What these people want to know is where the good quality jobs are going to come from that will breathe life back into their towns and that's a hard problem and not one that any of the parties talked about in any meaningful way.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    edited December 2019
    SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Don't worry, they'll probably do a thorough screening for gammons.
  • Options
    RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Are such a bunch of hamateurs capable of it?
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

I have been doing a little research. I could be wrong, but I think this is the first time since 1919 that Labour have not held a seat in Staffordshire and the first time ever that the Tories have held them all.

Considering this is still an industrial and ex-mining County, it does go to show the collapse of traditional Labour support.

Wikipedia has some helpful charts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Parliamentary_constituencies_in_Staffordshire
    Looking through the wiki pages, there are now 17 counties with only Conservative MPs.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

What’s striking about that is there’s only one constituency - Stoke Central - that even looks close. The rest are fairly safe Tory at the moment. And yet, it’s not long ago that the likes of Cannock and Newcastle under Lyme were considered safe for Labour.

Notts is another one that has seen big change. in 1997, Lab won all but Rushcliffe and now they only have the 3 in Nottingham left.

Similarly in Derbyshire, they had them all in 1997 except Derbyshire Dales and now they only have Derby S and Chesterfield left.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609

kle4 said:

SunnyJim said:

kle4 said:

Lady Hale is worried, as she should be.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50836164

We saw HYUFDs immediate reaction to the prorogation ruling was that political appointment of judges was inevitable, and he clearly captures the tory mood on such matters. Boris is going to go for the courts in a big way - we know he is vindictive by nature.

Perhaps it will give her pause for thought on her gloating.

Yes, her gloating is so egregious the government deciding to undermine the courts is perfectly proportionate a response.
    If she wanted to get into politics and creating laws then maybe she should have stood for Parliament?
    Again missing the point about whether even if her judgement was wrong is this the correct response.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

kle4 said:

Yes, her gloating is so egregious the government deciding to undermine the courts is perfectly proportionate a response.

'Undermine' is a touch over the top.

Unless appointees were builders, postmen, bus drivers etc rather than members of the legal profession qualified to take up positions in the court.
    The judging of their politics based on their rulings is nonsense and should not be made official. And I say that as someone who would have been content if the prorogation ruling went the other way.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,285
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

They can probably smoke out any gammons by watching out for obvious porkies.
  • Options
    Talking about majorities from the BBC:

"A simple majority is, as it says on the tin, a majority in its literal terms - 51%."

0/10, see me after class.
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Notts is another one that has seen big change. in 1997, Lab won all but Rushcliffe and now they only have the 3 in Nottingham left.

Similarly in Derbyshire, they had them all in 1997 except Derbyshire Dales and now they only have Derby S and Chesterfield left.
    Notts is especially interesting because you can see the gradual retreat of Labour outside Nottingham over time. You would not notice the interruption of Labour’s decline in 1997 as you would by looking at Staffs, Glos or Worcestershire.
  • Options
    Friday will be interesting to see just how many labour mps submit to Corbyns whip against the WDA. One last act of self harm
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

But will that save their bacon?
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Looking through the wiki pages, there are now 17 counties with only Conservative MPs.
    The representative majesty of FPTP.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, a poll on the 2016 referendum day had Remain ahead by 10 points.

An opinion poll doesn't outweigh a referendum result.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Likely not, whichever way you slice it.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,610
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

There is a suggestion that Keir Starmer and Jess Phillips are working class, because their parents or grand parents were, and this will help them understand the concerns of Labour voters who voted for Boris. My proposition is that people from a working class, provincial background who go to Uni then go to work in a big city, become as disconnected, if not more, from the lives of the working class as those from a privileged background educated at private schools. Sorry I don't really know what socio economic class means

What does working class mean?
    Working class people get cash loans from their parents and always pay them back
    Middle class people get cash gifts from their parents and never pay them back

Middle-class people think the world is a garden and are shocked when things go wrong
    Working-class people think the world is a jungle and are never shocked when things go wrong

Working class people save up and pay their own deposit when buying a house
    Middle class people expect their parents to give them the deposit, or even buy the house for them.

There's a few more as well ("never write a cheque you can't cash, never pack a bag you can't carry") but that'll do to be going on with.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,895
    SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

You're a twat. It's deeply uncivic to interfere in a leadership campaign of your opponents, especially when you are deliberately choosing those you deem the worst candidates.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

SunnyJim said:

kle4 said:

We saw HYUFDs immediate reaction to the prorogation ruling was that political appointment of judges was inevitable, and he clearly captures the tory mood on such matters. Boris is going to go for the courts in a big way - we know he is vindictive by nature.

If she wanted to get into politics and creating laws then maybe she should have stood for Parliament?
    Again missing the point about whether even if her judgement was wrong is this the correct response.
    It is a pretty inevitable response when judges start creating rather than enforcing laws.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Then they’re burgered, aren’t they?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,954

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

You're a twat. It's deeply uncivic to interfere in a leadership campaign of your opponents, especially when you are deliberately choosing those you deem the worst candidates.
    Along these lines, I always wonder why some states in the US have open primaries. There must be a temptation for some to vote for the worst candidate.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Yes - there's no cure for their condition.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,946
    edited December 2019

The idea that English voters have a rational, pragmatic attitude to Scots making their own decision re. the Union seems to have receded somewhat. Presumably after decades of whining about the oppressive EU taking away their sovereignty, they've now decided that's their job.

https://twitter.com/rosscolquhoun/status/1207341259226046464?s=20

Somebody needs to know the difference between a majority and a plurality.
    You'd think if you were looking for a someone who would know that, Yougov might be one of the first places you'd look.

• Options
    edited December 2019

You have offended me.

I certainly DO NOT consider RBL/Burgon as the worst candidates.

They would be outstanding. 🤣
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

These puns are getting positively rasher. If you don’t rind, I think we’ll leave it there before they get out of control.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Why would they do that? Surely both gammons and the far-left both want continuity-Corbyn? If anything they should advertise Labour Party memberships on ConHome.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    edited December 2019

The idea that English voters have a rational, pragmatic attitude to Scots making their own decision re. the Union seems to have receded somewhat. Presumably after decades of whining about the oppressive EU taking away their sovereignty, they've now decided that's their job.

https://twitter.com/rosscolquhoun/status/1207341259226046464?s=20

Somebody needs to know the difference between a majority and a plurality.
    You'd think if you were looking for a someone who would know that, Yougov might be one of the first places you'd look.

Ross Colquhoun works for YouGov? That's not what his twitter bio says..

And YouGov's tweet appears to show they know what a plurality is.
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, a poll on the 2016 referendum day had Remain ahead by 10 points.

An opinion poll doesn't outweigh a referendum result.

Fair enough. I shall take as my model the reticence that PB Yoons show in referring to polls that previously said that a majority of Scots don't want another indy ref.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299
    edited December 2019
    SunnyJim said:

You have offended me.

I certainly DO NOT consider RBL/Burgon as the worst candidates.

They would be outstanding.
    That shouting creature from Hove would be worse, should he be persuaded to stand.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

SunnyJim said:

kle4 said:

It is a pretty inevitable response when judges start creating rather than enforcing laws.
    I know I am probably being dense here but how exactly did the SC 'create' a new law? Surely a new law has to be an Act of Parliament passed by both houses and and duly given royal assent?
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Hey, if Labour don’t like it, they should rewrite their rules to remove a loophole a fairly bright five year old would have spotted.

Blame Ed Miliband for making it possible, not those who do as he asked.

In any case, Labour members are in no position to lecture given they chose the nutcase twice even without help.
  • Options
    glw said:

Why would they do that? Surely both gammons and the far-left both want continuity-Corbyn? If anything they should advertise Labour Party memberships on ConHome.

You're right you know.

The people the far-left despise would definitely give them the very leadership pairing they yearn for.

Which should tell them something.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

SunnyJim said:

kle4 said:

I know I am probably being dense here but how exactly did the SC 'create' a new law? Surely a new law has to be an Act of Parliament passed by both houses and and duly given royal assent?
    They reinterpreted a wide variety of case law, some of it rather aggressively, to declare an action that was previously legal was not legal.

In theory, that’s not creating a new law.

In practice, however, it is a distinction without a difference.
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Agreed, and @SunnyJim will no doubt be moaning about the lack of a proper opposition and/or screaming blue murder at the prospect of a 'marxist' government winning power and turning Britain into Venezuela come the next GE.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

SunnyJim said:

kle4 said:

No, it really isn't.

It is precisely the judges role to define bits of the law which are undefined.
    If Parliament is unhappy about the way they've done it, a reasonable response might be to look at those aspects of constitutional law surrounding prorogation and then perhaps legislate on them.
    Packing the courts with politically vetted judges is wrong. And a conservative ought to recognise that.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

These puns are getting positively rasher. If you don’t rind, I think we’ll leave it there before they get out of control.
    You're quite right - we're just scratching around for puns now.
  • Options
    Did any PBers move a large wedge of their assets offshore last Thursday in case Corbyn got into No 10?
  • Options

Friday will be interesting to see just how many labour mps submit to Corbyns whip against the WDA. One last act of self harm

Every one.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Every one.
    There aren't many Labour leavers left - maybe Graham Stringer?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

There is a suggestion that Keir Starmer and Jess Phillips are working class, because their parents or grand parents were, and this will help them understand the concerns of Labour voters who voted for Boris. My proposition is that people from a working class, provincial background who go to Uni then go to work in a big city, become as disconnected, if not more, from the lives of the working class as those from a privileged background educated at private schools. Sorry I don't really know what socio economic class means

What does working class mean?
    Working class people get cash loans from their parents and always pay them back
    Middle class people get cash gifts from their parents and never pay them back

Middle-class people think the world is a garden and are shocked when things go wrong
    Working-class people think the world is a jungle and are never shocked when things go wrong

Working class people save up and pay their own deposit when buying a house
    Middle class people expect their parents to give them the deposit, or even buy the house for them.

There's a few more as well ("never write a cheque you can't cash, never pack a bag you can't carry") but that'll do to be going on with.
    Interesting. I'm *definitely* middle class...

On a related topic, it's been interesting watching certain 'bubbles' on social media. Other commentators on here have pointed out the conspiracy theorists, but what's been more interesting to me is the sharing of recommendations of what to do to feel better in light of the "end of the world" (aka, Tory Landslide).

The recommendations are numerous, but include: donate to food banks, help others less able, visit elderly relatives, reconnect with a friend, feed the birds, etc. Basically, double-down on making a positive difference in our communities.

And it occurs to me that there are a lot of people out there who feel that if - somehow - progressive politicians were swept to power, somehow all of this would be solved, that homelessness and poverty would somehow disappear. I'm not saying everyone feels like this, but difficult to shake the suspicion that - rather than being part of the problem, they just want someone else to solve those things that ruin 'the garden' (as you refer to it).

I wonder if a period of adopting a working class mindset might be a bit of a tonic for these people. After all, one of the best recommendations for anyone riven by anxiety, stress and worry is to focus on helping others?
  • Options

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:
    I don't think referring to "working class" takes us forward in any meaningful way. Socio-economic class could help more and then we could try to define which strata we are talking about.
    "My proposition is that people from a working class, provincial background who go to Uni then go to work in a big city, become as disconnected, if not more, from the lives of the working class as those from a privileged background..."

I disagree with that proposition, I think it pushes the argument too far.

If you have had 18 years of experience growing up in a particular environment, that will always be with you, and shape your attitudes, behaviours and political outlook. At least it has with me. And I'll never feel at home in a born & bred Middle Class circle.
    Yeah that proposition is bollox I think. Seriously, I would say that the upper middle class privately educated people I knew at university were totally clueless about working class people, and totally uninterested too. Middle class comprehensive school kids like me were perhaps moderately clueless, although since I had known working class people at school and through evening/weekend jobs I was perhaps not totally clueless. The relatively few working class kids I knew at uni were the least clueless, and also the most likely in my experience to move back to their home areas after uni suggesting they hadn't become disconnected.
    Where I think Isam is right is that a university education does have a tendency to put up some barriers between people, as it does tend to broaden one's perspectives. I don't know what can be done about that. I would observe though that as a country we really must do something about our class divide and all the nonsense about how people talk etc. Some of the school leavers I worked with at a restaurant were a lot smarter than some of the people I knew at Cambridge.
    I have made a journey from working class to middle class and I always thought I had kept my understanding of what it was to be poor.

Volunteering at Citizens Advice has disabused me of that notion. I am continually shocked at how difficult life is for some of our poorer compatriots. Sometimes some of the people we see have not helped themselves but generally they have made the serious error of being bloody unlucky.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,355
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Notts is especially interesting because you can see the gradual retreat of Labour outside Nottingham over time. You would not notice the interruption of Labour’s decline in 1997 as you would by looking at Staffs, Glos or Worcestershire.
    Notts is also interesting if you compare to 1987. Back then, Lab held Bassetlaw, Mansfield and Ashfield but not the three Nottingham seats. Now even in this nadir when they are miles behind in Manfield etc they hold the three city seats very comfortably indeed.

There's a lot of interest to be had in considering the seats which were marginal in 1997 which are now safe reasonably safe Lab even as the party's score of seats has halved. Hove, Bristol West, Edgbaston, Chester. But as far as I can think, only one seat which went Lab in 2019 but was Con in 1997: Canterbury. Anyone think of any others?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,946
    edited December 2019

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Strangely the PB 3 quidders went all quiet when their gas was put at a peep at the 2017 GE; at one point there was even an attempt by some to claim that it wasn't really a thing. The opportunistic triumphalism that's encouraging them to crawl out of their holes isn't very attractive.
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Strangely the PB 3 quidders went all quiet when their gas was put at a peep at the 2017 GE; at one point there was even an attempt by some to claim that it wasn't really a thing. The opportunistic triumphalism that's encouraging them to crawl out of their holes isn't very attractive.
    It didn’t make any difference to either result. Corbyn would still have won both times.

I do hope however that Labour will reflect on what people are saying and close this stupid loophole. I doubt it though because it’s very lucrative for them and they’re clearly badly in need of money.
  • Options

Certainly no triumphalism here.

Just a solid belief that you can never have too much democracy and therefore there is nothing wrong with expressing a view if invited to do so.

Which the 3 quidders were.
  • Options

It's not really self harm at this point is it though, with a GE 5 years away
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,355
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Notts is also interesting if you compare to 1987. Back then, Lab held Bassetlaw, Mansfield and Ashfield but not the three Nottingham seats. Now even in this nadir when they are miles behind in Manfield etc they hold the three city seats very comfortably indeed..
    There's a lot of interest to be had in considering the seats which were marginal in 1997 which are now safe reasonably safe Lab even as the party's score of seats has halved. Hove, Bristol West, Edgbaston, Chester. But as far as I can think, only one seat which went Lab in 2019 but was Con in 1997: Canterbury. Anyone think of any others?
    Edit: 1983, not 1987.
  • Options
    I’m a middle-class Shire Tory.

No dressing that up, unless it’s in a Barbour wax jacket, red trousers and brogues of course.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,032
    ydoethur said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Hey, if Labour don’t like it, they should rewrite their rules to remove a loophole a fairly bright five year old would have spotted.

Blame Ed Miliband for making it possible, not those who do as he asked.

In any case, Labour members are in no position to lecture given they chose the nutcase twice even without help.
    Oh goody, inch perfect Boris governments 'til I die.
  • Options
    Is it just me or has Sainsbury’s gone downmarket?

It used to be decidedly middle-class but is now brushing its clothes barely above the likes of Asda and Tesco. And even Morrisons arguably pips it in some areas now.

Yuk.
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

And is it SNP triumphalism that’s encouraged your attractive side to come out of the woodwork so frequently since Friday morning?
  • Options

It used to be decidedly middle-class but is now brushing its clothes barely above the likes of Asda and Tesco. And even Morrisons arguably pips it in some areas now.

Yuk.

Is there a Waitrose or an M&S close by? If so that is where I would expect to find much of the middle class.
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

I thought about it for a second, but it just seems unsporting. Jezza during the elections came to a place only a couple of miles away from me. I didn’t go and try and whip,up an angry mob of protestors. I just left it.

But as night follows day the local CLP would have been in meltdown getting as many supporters out to boo, picket and heckle any event Boris would have turned up to.
  • Options

No dressing that up, unless it’s in a Barbour wax jacket, red trousers and brogues of course.

In nature, bright red colouring is usually a "warning! toxic! avoid!" signal.

Just sayin'.
  • Options
    Can i ask Labour voters/supporters on here.

What is your opinion on why Labour lost?

Will be interesting to gauge if what Burgon etc are saying is right/wrong/
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Yuk.

Is there a Waitrose or an M&S close by? If so that is where I would expect to find much of the middle class.
    I used to scoff at people who spouted on about Waitrose... until I moved near one and tried it myself. No going back (while funds last!).
  • Options

Unlikely, but you never know. What’s he said?
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Just sayin'.
    Like strawberries?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

I was just testing, honestly *tries to look innocent and fails dismally*

Thanks, these are very interesting indeed. Do you know if they do them for all counties? Northumberland and Cumbria would be an interesting set.
    I am indeed spoiling you.

There should be links at the bottom for different regions. Thanks to the wikipedia editors who put them together!
    Thanks. No Labour MPs in Cumberland for the first time since 1910 is also pretty damning.
    The council of the historic county of Cumberland is making a comeback!
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Animal_pb said:

Just sayin'.
    I suffered in the run-up to election day through not being able to wear my favourite red trousers because Jezza had asked people to wear something red to show their support for him... :wink:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It's surely likely to be right/wrong - one of those at least :wink:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

That the manifesto was right, leadership was right and this was all down to Brexit nothing else pretty much
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Improbable that somebody so left wing would be right, though...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Don't be sow silly :lol:
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited December 2019

ydoethur said:

There was a famous scientist who dismissed what an opponent was saying as “not even wrong”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,610

RobD said:
    It certainly seems like it at times :wink:
    Be fair. 23,998 were @HYUFD . . One was @SeanT who pressed the wrong button whilst trying to order raw opium and absinthe. And the last was @Byronic five minutes later PURELY BY COINCIDENCE
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Just sayin'.
    Like strawberries?
    Wild strawberries aren't bright red. Bright red strawberries aren't natural, we've farmed them into a form we wanted.
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Just sayin'.
    I suffered in the run-up to election day through not being able to wear my favourite red trousers because Jezza had asked people to wear something red to show their support for him... :wink:
    Look on the bright side - everyone around you benefited :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Along these lines, I always wonder why some states in the US have open primaries. There must be a temptation for some to vote for the worst candidate.
    Although there is always the risk they end up winning. Those who voted for Corbyn might have regretted it if he had ended up Prime Minister
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Don't be sow silly :lol:
    This contest is now a boar.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

Just sayin'.
    Like strawberries?
    Wild strawberries aren't bright red. Bright red strawberries aren't natural, we've farmed them into a form we wanted.
    Roses then?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I think Labour's combined leadership and EU position has done something which has been a long running issue for the Tories.

It's (For electoral purposes) expunged the ghost of Thatcher in England's old coalfields. Seismic.

Millions of new voters now have the blue taint.
    Sunil means "blue"...

#justsayin'
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

Just sayin'.
    Like strawberries?
    Roses then?
    You can get white and yellow roses.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,088

Yuk.

The only way to avoid definitely brushing shoulders with the lower orders is to have your groceries delivered. But for heaven's sake remember to select A-B for the class of the delivery driver, or who knows what you may have to put up with?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,072
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

This contest is now a boar.

Complete bollOX I'm afraid.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,127

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I think Labour's combined leadership and EU position has done something which has been a long running issue for the Tories.

It's (For electoral purposes) expunged the ghost of Thatcher in England's old coalfields. Seismic.

Sunil means "blue"...

#justsayin'
    You woke up and emerged from the haystack to tell us that.

• Options
    geoffw said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sunil means "blue"...

#justsayin'

I voted Tory in a relatively safe Labour seat :blush:
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

And is it SNP triumphalism that’s encouraged your attractive side to come out of the woodwork so frequently since Friday morning?
    Soz, I shall henceforth try to live up to the standard of civility, reasonableness and the generosity of spirit constantly displayed by yersel.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

Just sayin'.
    Like strawberries?
    Roses then?
    Well they do grow on you!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Chris said:

Yuk.

The only way to avoid definitely brushing shoulders with the lower orders is to have your groceries delivered. But for heaven's sake remember to select A-B for the class of the delivery driver, or who knows what you may have to put up with?
    A lady I met recently told me Ocado had sent her a man from Liverpool! Can you imagine? To be on the safe side, she got the maid to burn all the groceries, and disinfect the fridge afterwards!
  • Options
    Chris said:

Yuk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FF95JjCdaM
  • Options

geoffw said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sunil means "blue"...

#justsayin'

ditto - making a point, pointlessly.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

Although there is always the risk they end up winning. Those who voted for Corbyn might have regretted it if he had ended up Prime Minister
    I thought cross party voting in US primaries was not uncommon!
  • Options

Another day, another gang of child sex abusers in a Yorkshire town:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-50838823

Anybody watch the darts last night?

how could so many working class male bigots have roared a young woman on to breaking a glass ceiling?

Saw a clip of that on Sky earlier. What a reaction! Good for Fallon.

They also got Phil 'The Power' Taylor on, and he was very fulsome in his praise for her, and what a positive move forward this was for the game.
    Why are we talking about pub game on PB?
    One nation Conservatism

you've got at least 10 more years of it so better adapt.
    Soccer, cricket, F1, and rugby union are the only sports worth watching.

If the Tories really want to hold places like Rother Valley then they should talk non stop about rugby union.
    you should try hurling
    Personally, I find cricket and F1 boring but Lewis Hamilton should win the 2020 title and if he does, perhaps the spoty.

I don't disagree or dislike hurling but it's definitely a physical​ and tough (rough) sport.
    cricket isn't a sport its a sleeping pill substiute

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Astounding statistic.
  • Options

how could so many working class male bigots have roared a young woman on to breaking a glass ceiling?

They also got Phil 'The Power' Taylor on, and he was very fulsome in his praise for her, and what a positive move forward this was for the game.
    One nation Conservatism

If the Tories really want to hold places like Rother Valley then they should talk non stop about rugby union.
    you should try hurling
    Personally, I find cricket and F1 boring but Lewis Hamilton should win the 2020 title and if he does, perhaps the spoty.

I don't disagree or dislike hurling but it's definitely a physical​ and tough (rough) sport.

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Astounding statistic.
    I agree. How could anyone watch cricket and not be riveted?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sunil means "blue"...

#justsayin'

Hey, this is PB :)
  • Options

Chris said:

Yuk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FF95JjCdaM
    Spooky.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

One nation Conservatism

you should try hurling

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Astounding statistic.
    Do they call it "test" cricket because it "tests" your patience?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

One nation Conservatism

you should try hurling

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Astounding statistic.
    God only knows.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,146

kle4 said:

SunnyJim said:

kle4 said:

Clearly you understand absolutely nothing about the common law, the rule of law and have not even noted that the SC ruling was not that of 1 judge but all 9 of them.
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sunil means "blue"...

#justsayin'

Hey, this is PB :)
    nem con
  • Options

ydoethur said:

One nation Conservatism

you should try hurling

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Astounding statistic.
    Rugby plays tests as well. That’s only a test of your caution if you’re an England supporter at the Welsh end of whatever they call the Millennium Stadium this week.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Anyway all politics aside I will wish you all,a very merry Xmas and from a betting perspective a prosperous new year, am off to Tenerife tomorrow and then a seven day cruise on a Spanish cruise ship which incidentally has also asked all passengers to desist from discussing politics! Hopefully will be back after but hoping to break my addiction to Pb.com after the most exciting four years in UK politics I have ever known.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

Just sayin'.
    Like strawberries?
    Yes they are.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

One nation Conservatism

you should try hurling

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Astounding statistic.
    Some would agree.
  • Options

Yuk.

Upper middle class, yes.

Waitrose is great but very pricey. Impossible to go in there for anything without walking out at least £30 poorer.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

One nation Conservatism

you should try hurling

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Astounding statistic.
    Says someone who finds obscure train journeys exciting!
  • Options
    Chris said:

Yuk.

Superb.
This discussion has been closed.