Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Finchley & Golders Green – the only constituency where there’v

Comments

• Options
    nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

We need to get this all over social media. Now.

If you want to use the royal ‘we’ then use it on a partisan web site or make it plain whom-we are
    From the context they are probably not big fans of Jeremy...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204
    Oh fuck, he’s just said he’ll pay pension changes from reserves and has admitted there isn’t enough money here to do it.
  • Options
    Aaron Bastani thinks it's going brilliantly. Shocker.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,747

The Hindus (pro) and the Sikhs (against) are piling into the Chief Rabbi’s row with Jeremy Corbyn too now. Just the Jedis left to come and that’s a religious full house. Take a bow, #GE2019 https://t.co/PgOSt3JXGJ

The Protestants, Catholics, Baptists and various other Christian denominations are on the phone. They'd like to hav a little chat about your definition of "full house"
  • Options
    The theory is called 'Reader Response' some people have made up their mind before the interview started.

Corbyn is doing well at the moment, no major gaffes.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

The theory is called 'Reader Response' some people have made up their mind before the interview started.

Bollocks
  • Options

Aaron Bastani thinks it's going brilliantly. Shocker.

Dr Peters also thinks he’s a journalist.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2019

What a contrast, calm, polite Corbyn and frantic, bulbous Neil.

I get the feeling that Neil has an inflated opinion of his own skills as an interviewer, almost a bullying style. He doesn't seem to be denting Corbyn at the moment.

Neil has destroyed him...may well happen to Boris as well...but he's destroyed him none the less.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

And you are not one of them?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Brillo lifts back the curtain - and finds the Wizard simply isn't there.....
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

We need to get this all over social media. Now.

If you want to use the royal ‘we’ then use it on a partisan web site or make it plain whom-we are
    We = all right thinking people.....
    I agree that it is a disaster but equally feel Johnson is almost as bad and less principled than corbyn in his views on which both are wrong most of the time. Right yes correct no. Lib dem member speaking!
  • Options

He’s admitted his whole tax policy is a lie and that the money he will use for increased pensions is insufficient to cover it.
    What would a major gaffe be?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    ydoethur said:

Oh fuck, he’s just said he’ll pay pension changes from reserves and has admitted there isn’t enough money here to do it.

Did he say how he’ll pay for the other £650billion?
  • Options
    What day is Boris due in the torture chair?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    OT. Miriam Margolyes excellent on Ch 4 News in defence of Jeremy Corbyn. I happen to know her and she is a woman of the utmost integrity and what's more unlike most commentators on this subject by virtue of her age and history she knows what she's talking about.
  • Options
    He didn't have the grace to say thank you at the end.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    RobD said:

Not sure but we think it might be 16th December...

;)
  • Options
    That wasn’t a car crash. That was a motorway pileup followed by a nuclear missile incoming.
    Good grief.
    I will say he did manage to keep it more or less together though. A couple of times it looked as though he was going to go shouty. But he didn’t.
    But my goodness, he was seriously out of his depth.
  • Options

The worst half-hour political interview of all time.
  • Options

Given the pounding he took, I can in fairness understand that.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Boris is going to get bent over and fucked isn't he?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tomorrow and I expect he will suffer as well

But after that anyone who votes anything but conservative risks putting Corbyn in power

• Options
    ydoethur said:

He’s admitted his whole tax policy is a lie and that the money he will use for increased pensions is insufficient to cover it.
    See: https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1199398042086133761

If any of the responses follow the details laid out here, then you know where the steer has come from.

• Options
    Who is next up for a total doing? The Sky Q guide does not enlighten me.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yes.
    And some of us would enjoy that hugely if he weren’t up against this third rate apology for a politician.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302
    RobD said:

There's another interview tomorrow at 7:30 I assume that it's him (could be JS though)
  • Options
    Roger said:

OT. Miriam Margolyes excellent on Ch 4 News in defence of Jeremy Corbyn. I happen to know her and she is a woman of the utmost integrity and what's more unlike most commentators on this subject by virtue of her age and history she knows what she's talking about.

There is no defence for Corbyn
  • Options
    Twitter 'Truly horrific' now shown to be a joke tweet, calm down an invent another angle.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Have never seen a party leader so completely exposed and eviscerated
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited November 2019

New poll: Labour up 3, Tory lead down to 8, with Ashcroft, though the methodology is unusual: he downweights everyone by their lack of certainty to vote, so the total are less than 100: Con 36, Lab 28, LD 15, BXP 9 (asked only in seats where they're standing). Lots and lots of other data too, including the important one that 51% of LDs now say they'll vote Labour if Lab has a better chance (and 69% vice versa) - these figures are well up on previous polls. Survey done Nov 21-25.

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/11/would-you-vote-tactically-what-worries-you-most-about-a-tory-or-labour-government-what-would-actually-happen-under-johnson-or-corbyn-week-3-of-my-general-election-dashboard/

Looks about right to me.

Interested in the ComRes poll for tonight if not out yet - this is an absolutely critical stage of the campaign, now.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    A very poor start from Corbyn on anti semitism . He got better after that but I’ve yet to see an AN interview that wasn’t brutal .

A horrible half hour for Labour but I doubt Bozo will fair much better .
  • Options

Twitter 'Truly horrific' now shown to be a joke tweet, calm down an invent another angle.

Underplayed it?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,601
    Bit of a damp squib. No real surprises or gotcha.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Billy Goat Gruff is gonna be busy tonight I see
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

Would you like to list the instances of anti semitism that particularly offend you? Two or three will do.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Boris will be getting battered by his staff right about now prepping for his interview; it's not like they don't know what's coming from Andrew Neil.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

RobD said:

There's another interview tomorrow at 7:30 I assume that it's him (could be JS though)
    According to the SCUM it's 3rd or 4th december

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10426643/andrew-neil-interviewing-party-leaders-election/
  • Options

ydoethur said:

See: https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1199398042086133761
    If any of the responses follow the details laid out here, then you know where the steer has come from.
    Sad to say, but I think cutting off his own feet on tax is more damaging than his bizarre comments on antisemitism. Those are already priced in. But publicly saying his manifesto is wrong - that’s not good. That could be hugely damaging for him.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Has Johnson ordered his brown suit yet?
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

RobD said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10426643/andrew-neil-interviewing-party-leaders-election/
    Phew - postals will be done by then!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Have never seen a party leader so completely exposed and eviscerated

No, but then Jo Swinson hasn't been interviewed yet.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    'We will use reserves'
    We dont have that much in reserve do we?
    No.
    So he has to run a surplus. Lol.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

A very poor start from Corbyn on anti semitism . He got better after that but I’ve yet to see an AN interview that wasn’t brutal .

A horrible half hour for Labour but I doubt Bozo will fair much better .

How did he do in the Tory leadership interview, and will AN have any new lines of questioning? The advantage he has is that he most obvious weakspot is Brexit, but he won’t actually mind that getting back onto the headlines. Remind the leavers what they are voting for.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,747
    MaxPB said:

I hope that's a metaphor. Although if you meant it literally, I think the viewing figures would go up... :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Given the pounding he took, I can in fairness understand that.
    As a professional politician, you take it on the chin and you say thank you at the end. What you feel inside matters not. You deal with it

Having said that Corbyn has never been a professional politician. He has been a fringe campaigner.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Would you like to list the instances of anti semitism that particularly offend you? Two or three will do.
    All and every example
  • Options
    Mad shouty labour leader wants to give us, a retired couple with 50k income and significant assets, 30k + when I can’t spend what I have. Why did the stupid bugger not sit down and think how this could actually be spun positively I can only assume that the ‘genius’ behind the labour campaign thinks voters are even more stupid than the Tory genius thinks they are.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

RobD said:

Tomorrow night
  • Options
    I like reading Brillo on twitter...

this sums him up at times

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1199410801804746752
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Mad shouty labour leader wants to give us, a retired couple with 50k income and significant assets, 30k + when I can’t spend what I have. Why did the stupid bugger not sit down and think how this could actually be spun positively I can only assume that the ‘genius’ behind the labour campaign thinks voters are even more stupid than the Tory genius thinks they are.

Why didn’t they say they’d means test it?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

nichomar said:

Yeah, it'd be popular and cost a fraction of the current proposal.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    With that framing, and particular combination of words and image, that could easily be a twitter post or youtube advert from the Conservatives.

Odd.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    3.2m now registered to vote since GE called. Still nearly 6m unregistered though
  • Options
    At last, Corbyn properly confronted with the lie that only the top 5% will pay more tax. And as for Waspi, John Rentoul's tweet is correct. Labour are clueless on funding their spending, and the the Tories should hammer Labour on this together with borrowing money to compensate the likes of Emma Thompson, Sarah Ferguson and Diane Abbott.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

nichomar said:

In effect he will, via taxing it as income.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Anecdotal, but signs in Finchley & GG are that the message is sinking in: vote Berger, get Corbyn. Besides which, they have precious little base support to build from, and (beyond lots of leaflets) have been pretty invisible so far.

Similar logic should help see the Tories home in next door Hendon as well.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

MaxPB said:

I hope that's a metaphor. Although if you meant it literally, I think the viewing figures would go up... :)
    If you said people had to watch or pay a fine, the national debt would clear overnight.
  • Options

3.2m now registered to vote since GE called. Still nearly 6m unregistered though

A good chunk of those will already be registered
  • Options

A good number of those will be re-registrations.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Neil not only exposed Corbyn's anti Semitism, he also brutally exposed his jaw dropping economic illiteracy, which will probably do more damage than the racism. That section about the taxes is going to come back and haunt Labour. Deeply damaging interview, appalling timing if you're a Labour supporter, but I think even the most ardent apologist would have trouble spinning that one.
  • Options

With that framing, and particular combination of words and image, that could be a twitter post from the Conservatives.

Odd.
    Maybe it’s a Zionist cabal inside the Beeb? Try that angle. Might work
  • Options
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

nichomar said:

Have they said they'll do that?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

nichomar said:

It also gets accounted for when calculating benefits, which will be reduced for those receiving this bribe. The biggest gainers are the middle-class and well-off.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Positives for Jo and Boris - most postal votes will have been sent by the time they face Brillo!
  • Options
    Jason said:

Neil not only exposed Corbyn's anti Semitism, he also brutally exposed his jaw dropping economic illiteracy, which will probably do more damage than the racism. That section about the taxes is going to come back and haunt Labour. Deeply damaging interview, appalling timing if you're a Labour supporter, but I think even the most ardent apologist would have trouble spinning that one.

Don't worry they'll keep spinning it. (just look at some of the comments on here).

The fact that he couldn't understand that government bonds were debt is truly shocking.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    humbugger said:

At last, Corbyn properly confronted with the lie that only the top 5% will pay more tax. And as for Waspi, John Rentoul's tweet is correct. Labour are clueless on funding their spending, and the the Tories should hammer Labour on this together with borrowing money to compensate the likes of Emma Thompson, Sarah Ferguson and Diane Abbott.

Javid started up the rebuttals today, I think he is going to have a bigger role than Boris over the next two weeks. Last time the Tories had no such go to person.
    Not saying it will work mind, but they will have some ammo after tonights performance.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    alex_ said:

nichomar said:

Won't get the votes.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Byronic said:

With that framing, and particular combination of words and image, that could be a twitter post from the Conservatives.

Odd.
    You don't need a zionist cabal to be not doing your job as an independent broadcaster, I think. Given the intertwining of my own life with the Jewish life of my partner and children, I'm also unlikely to be receptive to thoughts of Zionist cabals.
  • Options
    humbugger said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

nichomar said:

All income, capital gains and dividends will be taxable at the same rate, so yes.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    I'm very far from a Corbyn supporter but a lot of people on here and twitter are going to be looking a bit foolish if labour are up a couple of points by the week-end...
  • Options

RobD said:

Tomorrow and I expect he will suffer as well

But after that anyone who votes anything but conservative risks putting Corbyn in power

No they don’t stop ramping the threat of labour a majority Johnson government will be disastrous just in a different way. I assume you believe this government represents your one Nate Tory view of the world along with the other now right wing tories who believe they are one nation versions?
  • Options

How does that compare with 2017?

Incidentally I was on a .gov website the other day and there was a banner at the top inviting anyone to register to vote. My own experience of UK government websites has been surprisingly positive over the last few years, particularly for things like car tax.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Odd.
    You don't need a zionist cabal to be not doing your job as an independent broadcaster, I think.
    Ummm...news organisation has embarrassing clip of racist politician being impaled over his racism.
    News organisation uses it to illustrate news story that everyone is calling said politician and his party racist.
    Not seeing how that’s a breach of impartiality...
  • Options
    Analysis by the Electoral Reform Society shows that 3.2 million people have registered to vote since the general election was called.

This figure is 875,000 higher than the same period during the 2017 election, when 2.3 million people registered before the deadline - representing a 38% increase.

18-25 group up by more than 300,000 on GE 2017 26-35 group up by more than 200,000 compared to GE2017

Bodes well for closing the gap further in final 2 weeks imo.
  • Options
    If Labour had ditched Corbyn after the VONC, they would very probably be in power by now

If Labour had ditched Corbyn after he lost the last GE, they would very probably be on the verge of taking power now

What will now be left after Corbyn?
  • Options
    I think it’s probably good for Labour if the media focus on the a-s bit of the interview. It’s not the swing vote damaging stuff.
  • Options
    Jason said:

Corbyn was useless at everything. He struggled with every single question. And he struggled calamitously on tax, borrowing and Brexit.

That should be a game changer. But will anyone watch it? Does anyone care? Hmm.
  • Options
    For anyone wanting to know what Corbyn meant by issuing government bonds to pay for nationalised industries, in reality it means confiscation of private assets. As a young lawyer I inherited the admin of a number of very old trusts. In each one, the trust could not be wound up because the estate included ownership of government bonds, war bonds from WWI. Each year they paid out the equivalent of about £2 10 shillings per quarter but they couldn't be surrendered. In each case the original owner of the bonds had been dead for more than 50 years! It was only in recent years that the Government bought out the remaining value of the bonds to the ultimate heirs and of course in a great many cases the money just went straight back to the Exchequer because either there were no heirs or they couldn't be traced. That is why Corbyn and MacDonnell are keen on them. It is the ultimate form of the never never.

As for thinking the super rich would willingly pay "a little more tax", that will be a return to Labour in the 1970s when tax went up as high as 90+%. Andrew Neill was quite correct, the super rich will simply leave and take their money with them. Multi-national companies will offshore their registered offices and Corporation Tax revenues will plummet.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

humbugger said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

nichomar said:

All income, capital gains and dividends will be taxable at the same rate, so yes.
    But Labour have described it as compensation. Have they specifically stated that Waspi payments will be taxable?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I think it’s probably good for Labour if the media focus on the a-s bit of the interview. It’s not the swing vote damaging stuff.

It’s come to something though when the best thing that can be said about an interview was that the party leader lied about his actions then refused to apologise for them.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,925
    edited November 2019
    Saw the headline and thought it was going to say " Finchley & Golders Green – the only constituency where the Lib Dems aren't value to back"!!!!

Interesting to see what minute Fernandinho gets his yellow card tonight. Pep normally gets them done
  • Options

If Labour had ditched Corbyn after the VONC, they would very probably be in power by now

If Labour had ditched Corbyn after he lost the last GE, they would very probably be on the verge of taking power now

The Left will still be in charge after Corbyn. And a lot of them are even worse than he is.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Jason said:

Corbyn was useless at everything. He struggled with every single question. And he struggled calamitously on tax, borrowing and Brexit.

They don't need to have watched it live. This interview will dominate the headlines over the coming 48 hours. That is where the damage is done.

No apology over antisemitism (which would have been a very easy win to have taken - and shows where his sympathies really lie)

No understanding of his own tax lies

No answer to paying for his WASPI pledge

No answer on maintaining our security alliances

Most of these will cut through
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Jason said:

Don't worry they'll keep spinning it. (just look at some of the comments on here).

The fact that he couldn't understand that government bonds were debt is truly shocking.
    Is there a clip? It’s been clear for several years what Labour mean by “Govt bonds”. They think they can print it. Effectively it’s the “people’s quantitative easing” stuff.
  • Options

"If any of the responses follow the details laid out here, then you know where the steer has come from. "

and there it is.

Think for yourself, pal, it'll save pain later.
  • Options
    Watching the defense come *exactly* as predicted is almost as jaw dropping as the interview.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    looking at the above - vote blue to make sure Labour punished
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    I know nothing of Scottish politics, but fact is that the man shredded by Neil is the man Nicola Sturgeon is prepared prop up as prime minister of Britain (which would still include Scotland).

Has Ms Sturgeon thought this through?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,598

If Labour only lose 50 seats the Corbynites could be difficult to shift from the top of the party. They'e need to lose more than that in order for a clear-out to take place.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Byronic said:

Jason said:

I think the ratings won’t be as bad as Labour might hope for !

AN is brutal and pulls apart all politicians, if I was Bozo I’d call in sick !
  • Options

How does that compare with 2017?

Incidentally I was on a .gov website the other day and there was a banner at the top inviting anyone to register to vote. My own experience of UK government websites has been surprisingly positive over the last few years, particularly for things like car tax.
    UP by 900k (550k in the 18-35 group)

4 hrs to go
  • Options
    Byronic said:

The full interview? No. That will probably not change many views. He was dire, but most people who pay attention to such things (on both sides) knew that already.
    What will damage Corbyn are the clips. The refusal to apologise, the admission that ordinary people will pay more tax, and the confession that his WASPI pledge is unaffordable. Those three clips played widely on TV could well hurt Labour badly. Especially the last two as it instantly removes the one area his supporters claim to see an advantage over Johnson, wrong though they are - honesty.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

He went to Eton so probably had experience of that anyway :)
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

I'm very far from a Corbyn supporter but a lot of people on here and twitter are going to be looking a bit foolish if labour are up a couple of points by the week-end...

This is very possible but it’s also fair to say it won’t have done him any favours. Who knows that 2 points could have been 4 points if he hadn’t crashed and burned all over the news and internet.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    alex_ said:

lol - and thats your positive ?
This discussion has been closed.