Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If this polling turns out to be accurate then it is great news

Comments

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,863

stodge said:

I simply can't understand how Labour are 1/5 in both Ilford seats - both prices are absurd. Labour should be 1/20 to hold Ilford South and shouldn't even be favourites to hold North.

I don't like betting odds on but the 1/5 for Labour to hold South is very tempting while the 3/1 for the Conservatives to take North is also worth a punt.

You mean Labour should be favourites in Ilford North?
    Please try and read what I said before jumping in.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I wonder whether Damian Lyons Lowe from Survation are doing some polling including a question on the Waspi women . Going by his tweet he thinks this is likely to hurt the Tories.

Anyone who believes an unfunded £58bn pledge made after the manifesto was published should be too thick to vote.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The so called 50,000 new nurses pledge from Bozo is another bare faced lie .

18,500 of those are currently working in the NHS and all they’re doing is trying to get them to stay on when they’re expected to be leaving .

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

camel said:

RobD said:

The UK has to do a lot more - as does every other country. You're right it's a global problem.

But just trumpeting "we're not the problem" is why there's been so little progress.

So little progress? Again, look how far emissions have been cut since the peak in the 1970s.
    That is a fair point. I'm old enough to remember learning about acid rain in school geography lessons circa 1990. British coal-fired power stations used to chuck out so much carbon dioxide and sulphur dioxide that they created toxic clouds that, basically, dissolved trees in Norway.

Earlier this year, Britain had the first recorded days since the advent of widespread electrical power in which 0% of the electricity in the National Grid came from burning coal. If that's not progress I'm not sure what is.
    Ditto. Its funny we never hear about acid rain anymore, nor the hole in the ozone layer.

I also remember learning in science classes how in Britain large percentages of moths evolved from light to dark to light again because of the pollution that existed in the past and how cleaned up the country is now relative to the past.
    Not so much they learnt, just that in some species such as Peppered Moth, the black form carbonaria was far less obvious to predating birds against sooty walls. The genes were still there and once we cleaned up the buildings, the black and white forms could again find better camouflaged places to rest. The carbonaria form is now again quite scarce (I've had a couple in the garden over the past six years).
    More upsetting for keen horticulturalists, the reduction of sulphur compounds in the atmosphere is greatly increasing the incidence of fungal infections such as rose black spot.

Nothing for allotment holders in the tory manifesto. Toffs one and all.
    Black spot has always been and remains a problem in Devon.
    Ever since the days of Robert Louis Stevenson indeed
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited November 2019
    nico67 said:

18,500 of those are currently working in the NHS and all they’re doing is trying to get them to stay on when they’re expected to be leaving .

So it is 50k more nurses working, and some of them are already experienced nurses.

Even better ;-)

The Frances Coppola demolition of the Waspi Women promise was amusing - so rushed out that they haven't even identified the correct group of women.

But it is improved productivity in the Hail Mary Pass factory.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

I wonder whether Damian Lyons Lowe from Survation are doing some polling including a question on the Waspi women . Going by his tweet he thinks this is likely to hurt the Tories.

Will the question include the information that it will cost the public an extra £58 billion in uncosted borrowing and / or taxes? Because that seems like a relevant piece of context, no?
    Are there some workings behind the £58bn?
    Number of women affected times the average amount of compensation.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited November 2019
    nico67 said:

The pledge is not for 'new' nurses but for the total number of nurses to be 50k above current expectation
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

I simply can't understand how Labour are 1/5 in both Ilford seats - both prices are absurd. Labour should be 1/20 to hold Ilford South and shouldn't even be favourites to hold North.

I don't like betting odds on but the 1/5 for Labour to hold South is very tempting while the 3/1 for the Conservatives to take North is also worth a punt.

You mean Labour should be favourites in Ilford North?
    Please try and read what I said before jumping in.
    You wrote:
    "Labour should be 1/20 to hold Ilford South and shouldn't even be favourites to hold North."

I presumed it was a typo?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

Thing is Labour can have all sorts of popular individual policies... The problem is that no one actually believes they can deliver them.
    And if Bozos lies begin to grate with the public then they might also start thinking he won’t deliver his pledges either . It’s all well and good him trashing Labour but he’s got to look trustworthy on the other side .
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,214
    stodge said:

Ave_it said:

Anyone voting LD this time? :lol:

Yes, me. Anyone voting Conservative?
    Ian Austin and John Woodcock.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    edited November 2019
    I just noticed perchance an old thread that mentions online v phone poll.. Does anyone phone poll/interview face to face anymore?
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    nico67 said:

Oh dear. Well that’s convinced me. Definitely going to vote for the bit-thick, economically illiterate old commie now.
  • Options

nico67 said:

The pledge is not for 'new' nurses but for the total number of nurses to be 50k above current expectation
    Lmao ! Current expectation ! The Tories are selling it as new nurses .
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Where? In your head?
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

stodge said:

Ave_it said:

I'd vote tory if I got to make baby with Isabel Hardman.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

No the pledge is for more nurses.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited November 2019
    geoffw said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

Will the question include the information that it will cost the public an extra £58 billion in uncosted borrowing and / or taxes? Because that seems like a relevant piece of context, no?
    https://twitter.com/Frances_Coppola/status/1198376608761032707

https://twitter.com/Frances_Coppola/status/1198377963726786563

https://twitter.com/Frances_Coppola/status/1198378741216563201

https://twitter.com/JohnSands17/status/1198651556553535490

https://twitter.com/Frances_Coppola/status/1198654141645705216

https://twitter.com/ThomasBridge3/status/1198676729247805441

https://twitter.com/Frances_Coppola/status/1198676774713991169
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    edited November 2019
    geoffw said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

Wow thanks for that insight!

I was rather wondering if anyone has the stats on numbers impacted and avereage amount per person.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,214
    nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

Thing is Labour can have all sorts of popular individual policies... The problem is that no one actually believes they can deliver them.
    And if Bozos lies begin to grate with the public then they might also start thinking he won’t deliver his pledges either . It’s all well and good him trashing Labour but he’s got to look trustworthy on the other side .
    Why? I am sure he would be content with a five and a half year Premiership. Anyway a landslide could allow him to future proof the Tories.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

geoffw said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

I was rather wondering if anyone has the stats on numbers impacted and avereage amount per person.
    £15,380 average, £31,300 maximum. A huge bung.

https://news.sky.com/story/general-election-2019-labours-58bn-pledge-to-right-waspi-injustice-11869005
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited November 2019

nico67 said:

Anyone who believes an unfunded £58bn pledge made after the manifesto was published should be too thick to vote.
    Anyone who believes 350m for the NHS should be too thick to vote.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Reducing the rate at which you have to replace staff is not to be sneezed at. There is a similar problem in teaching with (I think this is right, but I’m not looking it up) 50% of teachers leaving after five years. If you can reduce this then the teachers in each school become more experienced on average and the not inconsiderable costs of recruitment are reduced.

I’m not saying it’s easy of course, and relying on it for a third of the total seems optimistic.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    nico67 said:

Yes, and the snap judgement everywhere was that free broadband was going to be ultra popular and sink the Tories.

People are much smarter than Labour are giving them credit for.
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

Yes, but nothing in the way of costings. It's a completely unfunded policy.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169

geoffw said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

Yes. I should think you'll find them easily.
    ~3.7m women and ~ £15,000 average.
  • Options
    My nurse isn't brand new! I demand a fresh Boris nurse!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    GIN1138 said:

New Electoral Calculus projection takes Con up to a majority of 80

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

Some remarkable ranges there:

............. Low Predicted High

Labour 123 - 202 - 281

LD 13 - 20 - 62

SNP 20 - 41 - 47

Con 247 - 365 - 448

448!!!! lolz
  • Options

Hellloooo Nurse!
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Good job Boris is here to provide a moderate One Nation conservative government
  • Options

My own experience of nurses is that the more experienced they are, the better.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

Be fair now. McDonnell says the funding is a very special arrangement. Borrowing in other words.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

geoffw said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

15k x 3.8m women
  • Options

RobD said:

The UK has to do a lot more - as does every other country. You're right it's a global problem.

But just trumpeting "we're not the problem" is why there's been so little progress.

So little progress? Again, look how far emissions have been cut since the peak in the 1970s.
    That is a fair point. I'm old enough to remember learning about acid rain in school geography lessons circa 1990. British coal-fired power stations used to chuck out so much carbon dioxide and sulphur dioxide that they created toxic clouds that, basically, dissolved trees in Norway.

Earlier this year, Britain had the first recorded days since the advent of widespread electrical power in which 0% of the electricity in the National Grid came from burning coal. If that's not progress I'm not sure what is.
    I'm old enough that I was taught that global warning and global cooling were caused by the earth not having a stable orbit round the sun.. Moves in it warms, moves out it cools. Hence several ice ages each ended by a period of global warming.
    You were taught the earth goes round the sun!? :wink:
  • Options
    Charles said:

geoffw said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

15k x 3.8m women
    For christ’s sake don’t give Diane Abbott the task of calculating that.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,669
    FT poll tracker update:

Con 43%
    Lab 29%
    LD 15%
    SNP/PC 4%
    BRX 4%
    Grn 3%

https://www.ft.com/content/263615ca-d873-11e9-8f9b-77216ebe1f17
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    It's not good for democracy that the parties are knowingly promulgating nonsense in their manifestos. Even in 2017, this did not happen. It suggests a political class out of touch and out of control, which is what Brexit was meant to stop. (But Cummings always tricks people into thinking that ceding political power means gaining control - which is a fantasy.)
  • Options
    Charles said:

geoffw said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

15k x 3.8m women
    Thank-you!
  • Options

Just finished season three of The Crown.

Rather slow and nothing like as good as the first two.

Wilson and Heath are good though. The episodes slow and tedious, except Aberfan.

The trouble is probably that as we come up to date, the writers lose historical perspective and start including all sorts of trivial incidents that they happen to remember. We have seen this with other series too.
    It's not just that. It's the casting.

Olivia Coleman gets better as the series goes on but you still know it's her.

And Helena Bonham-Carter is just Helena Bonham-Carter, as always. You're never convinced for a second she's Margaret.

Having said that, Tobias Menzies is superb as Philip.
  • Options

nico67 said:

You do know what the actual number is by the end of the 2024, don't you?

HINT: way more than £350m per week.,,,,,

• Options

GIN1138 said:

Labour 123 - 202 - 281

LD 13 - 20 - 62

SNP 20 - 41 - 47

Con 247 - 365 - 448

448!!!! lolz
    247!!!! lolzer!

(Admittedly there's more chance of Man U winning the Premiership but hey-ho!)
  • Options
    RobD said:

geoffw said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

https://news.sky.com/story/general-election-2019-labours-58bn-pledge-to-right-waspi-injustice-11869005
    Thanks
  • Options

Evening, Sean :)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Labour 123 - 202 - 281

LD 13 - 20 - 62

SNP 20 - 41 - 47

Con 247 - 365 - 448

448!!!! lolz
    They are fair ranges though.

It shows just how much error there is in predicting seat totals.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

He's an interesting one to watch for sure. He seems quite cynical about the polls in general, probably because of how much he was ridiculed last time.
  • Options

Evening, Sean :)
    Just remember my advice the next time you need a cannula. And never volunteer to let a student nurse fit a catheter...
  • Options
    humbugger said:

MaxPB said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

Be fair now. McDonnell says the funding is a very special arrangement. Borrowing in other words.
    You shouldn't traduce McDonnell in that way. It might not be borrowing.

Printing is always an option.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Labour 123 - 202 - 281

LD 13 - 20 - 62

SNP 20 - 41 - 47

Con 247 - 365 - 448

448!!!! lolz
    They are fair ranges though.

It shows just how much error there is in predicting seat totals.
    And how much exposure on spread betting!
  • Options
    camel said:

humbugger said:

MaxPB said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

Or create a new currency. Corbyn Credits?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Labour 123 - 202 - 281

LD 13 - 20 - 62

SNP 20 - 41 - 47

Con 247 - 365 - 448

448!!!! lolz
    247!!!! lolzer!

SNP 20 is quite a lolz too.

To dream, the impossible dream.....
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Wilson and Heath are good though. The episodes slow and tedious, except Aberfan.

The trouble is probably that as we come up to date, the writers lose historical perspective and start including all sorts of trivial incidents that they happen to remember. We have seen this with other series too.

And Helena Bonham-Carter is just Helena Bonham-Carter, as always. You're never convinced for a second she's Margaret.

If you believe that you believe in leprechauns but so what
  • Options

camel said:

humbugger said:

MaxPB said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

Corbyt-coin
  • Options
    stodge said:

Ave_it said:

Me , for the first time at my 9th general election
  • Options
    Scanned the Conservative manifesto. Lots of wriggle room in most of it but emphatic that they will scrap the Fixed Term Parliament Act. That should get a lot of thumbs ups on here.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    I voted Labour once!
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Blimey this report on BBC News at 10 from from Rother Valley is not great for Labour and Corbyn.
  • Options

camel said:

humbugger said:

MaxPB said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

Corbyt-coin
    Brilliant. Redeemable at your local Red Star store where you can purchase any number of Venezuelan, Cuban or North Korean goods.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Probably thoroughly unfair but I see Helena BC as the female actor equivalent of Hugh Grant - quite good in a specific character but can only do that character (with a nagging suspicion that all one is seeing is a slightly exaggerated version of themselves).
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Scanned the Conservative manifesto. Lots of wriggle room in most of it but emphatic that they will scrap the Fixed Term Parliament Act. That should get a lot of thumbs ups on here.

If they get a decent majority why would they do that? It's a guaranteed 5 years
  • Options

stodge said:

Ave_it said:

Me , for the first time at my 9th general election
    Welcome to Hell! 😆
  • Options

camel said:

humbugger said:

MaxPB said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

Corbyt-coin
    Excellent. Fresh air clearly leads to sharp wit.
  • Options

nico67 said:

He's an interesting one to watch for sure. He seems quite cynical about the polls in general, probably because of how much he was ridiculed last time.
    Aren't we due another Survation poll or have I missed one this weekend?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Charles said:

geoffw said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

15k x 3.8m women
    For christ’s sake don’t give Diane Abbott the task of calculating that.
    Err is the answer 60 squillion ... or £7.50

The amount of jokes I get about her - easily the most ridiculed politician in the UK

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    matt said:

Probably thoroughly unfair but I see Helena BC as the female actor equivalent of Hugh Grant - quite good in a specific character but can only do that character (with a nagging suspicion that all one is seeing is a slightly exaggerated version of themselves).
    In fairness Grant was great as Thorpe
  • Options

Apparently the reaction to it has higher ups at the studio worried for the next cast change. They're annoyed that Claire Foy and Matt Smith were so bloody good in seasons 1 and 2. It's a very tough act to follow and, unfortunately, Olivia Colman doesn't measure up. Hopefully she will hone in the performance for season 4 but she didn't make a believable queen this time around. With Claire Foy I was able to forget that it wasn't actually the queen I was watching, I didn't have any moment like that with Colman on screen which is a shame because I really hoped she would nail it.
  • Options
    camel said:

camel said:

humbugger said:

MaxPB said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

Corbyt-coin
    Excellent. Fresh air clearly leads to sharp wit.
    Not the blockchain behind Corbyt-coin coin you have to worry about.

It's the blockheads.....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2019
    Just in case there was anyone still under the illusion that the DataPraxis MRP results were "the YouGov MRP" here is the final sentence from their webpage

The results here are modelled by DataPraxis, not by YouGov, who will be producing their own separate estimates.

Not that I'm thinking of anyone in specific
  • Options

geoffw said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

£2Bn for potholes

£1Bn for childcare

I know, they seem small in comparison to Labour's trillion pound bill, but it's still a lot of money.
    Do you honestly think potholes deserve more money than childcare though?
    As a childless singleton that doesn't drive I don't care about either. But anybody claiming to be green should oppose both subsiding care pollution and over population.
    I personally think we should be encouraging the use of public transport as much as possible and phasing out cars entirely - that should be the ultimate goal IMHO
    Not a fan of electric cars?
    They're better than petrol and diesel cars - and if there is no reasonable public transport they seem like a good compromise. But fundamentally we need to transition away from private transport.
    And rely on the State anytime we want to travel. Marvellous.
    Plus the state knowing exactly where you are going all the time. Spooky!
    Point of order - based on my trains into London, knowing I’ve caught one tells you very little little about either where I am or where I am going.
    Are you sure your Trainline app doesn't tell Google?
    No that only tells you where I should be and where I’m meant to be going.
    "I'll tell you a riddle. You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter. How can it not matter to you where the train will take you?"
    If you are a sad train loon?
  • Options

nico67 said:

https://twitter.com/guidofawkes/status/1198627938067001344?s=12

• Options

GIN1138 said:

Labour 123 - 202 - 281

LD 13 - 20 - 62

SNP 20 - 41 - 47

Con 247 - 365 - 448

448!!!! lolz
    247!!!! lolzer!

I'll tell you what, you can have your SNP 20 if I can have my Con 247! :lol:
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

camel said:

humbugger said:

MaxPB said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

Corbyt-coin
    Brilliant. Redeemable at your local Red Star store where you can purchase any number of Venezuelan, Cuban or North Korean goods.
    Average queue time 17 hours
  • Options
    matt said:

Did you see her in Fight Club? Or does nobody talk about that?
  • Options

nico67 said:

One was leaked today, Labour closing the gap by one point, to 30, Tories on 41
  • Options
    My wife is 65 next July she has had exactly zero notification that her state pension does not start til July 2021 not one single communication.
  • Options
    How long b4 NPEXMP. Is back.on trying to tell us that voters are now moving back to Labour?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Back to betting rather than the bear-pit for a moment.

I'm still sitting on my BUY of Conservative seats at 325 - should I cash out now and take a reasonable profit or should I stick it out? I think 360-380 is the range and I'd prefer more than 380 for obvious reasons - might happen but less certain than I was.

Looking at the election battles in East London, I can back Labour to win East Ham at 1/100 with Paddy and Betfair, not a bad bet and if you have £100k lying around and you want to have £101k on 13/12 it's as much a certainty as anything in this life.

The three seats which interest me in my neck of the woods are as follows:

Dagenham & Rainham: - Jon Cruddas is defending a majority of 4,652 and the Conservatives need a 5% swing which is right on the mark of the polls. The Tories are marginally favourites and you can bet 9/10 with Bet365 while Labour are Evens with Sky Bet which looks tempting. Many firms have both parties odds on suggesting this is going to be very close. For now, I'll stay out.

Ilford South: Mike Gapes held for Labour last time with a majority of 31.647 but he has defected to and is running as a Change UK - TIG candidate. He is on offer at 3s generally with Labour at 1/5. It's my experience MPs have an exaggerated view of their "personal" vote and I can't see Gapes holding this seat - indeed, I think he'll finish third. Labour at 1/5 looks a cracking bet.

Ilford North: Against the run of play, this was a rare Conservative loss in 2015 when Wes Streeting got home by 589 votes. Despite no UKIP candidate in 2017, Streeting stretched his majority to nearly 10,000. There is a BXP candidate this time and Labour are 1/5 with the Conservatives at 3s.

You think there is a chance of the Conservatives gaining Ilford North ???

I really can't see how they can overturn a near 10k majority in a seat which is moving demographically away from them.

You're right about Ilford South though.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Met Office long range forecast for December:

Sunday 8 Dec - Sunday 22 Dec
    The period is likely to begin on the cold side for most regions, with wintry showers at times in the north, and perhaps over high ground in the south. Widespread frosts and ice are also likely. There looks to be a change around mid-month to milder conditions, although the timing is very uncertain.

What could possibly go wrong with a December election?
  • Options
    timmo said:

If they get a decent majority why would they do that? It's a guaranteed 5 years
    Because they'd be able to go to the polls earlier if the opinion polling looked right i.e. revert to the typical tactic of looking for an election after around 4 years.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Labour 123 - 202 - 281

LD 13 - 20 - 62

SNP 20 - 41 - 47

Con 247 - 365 - 448

448!!!! lolz
    247!!!! lolzer!

Can we compromise? Tories on 448 and SNP on 20?
  • Options
    kjohnw1 said:

nico67 said:

And I have fairies at the bottom of my garden.
  • Options

The period is likely to begin on the cold side for most regions, with wintry showers at times in the north, and perhaps over high ground in the south. Widespread frosts and ice are also likely. There looks to be a change around mid-month to milder conditions, although the timing is very uncertain.

1918?

1923?
  • Options
    RobD said:

geoffw said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

Might we see the biggest gender divide this election?
  • Options

In the words of Blackadder....“looks like some kind of hat might be in order.”
  • Options

I just noticed perchance an old thread that mentions online v phone poll.. Does anyone phone poll/interview face to face anymore?

The regular Ipsos-MORI monitor is a phone poll.
  • Options

RobD said:

geoffw said:

BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

Might we see the biggest gender divide this election?
    Always interesting at how much more the young voter is pro Labour than the male one.
  • Options
    As climate change has been mentioned can I ask if Greta and the XRs have been protesting at Chinese embassies since this was revealed ?

While the rest of the world has cut coal-based electricity over the past 18 months, China has added enough to power 31 million homes.

That's according to a study that says China is now in the process of building or reviving coal equivalent to the EU's entire generating capacity.

China is also financing around a quarter of all proposed coal plants outside its borders.

Researchers say the surge is a major threat to the Paris climate targets.

China's reliance on coal as a key step in developing the economy led to the fabled "one coal plant a week" building programme between 2006 and 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50474824
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kjohnw1 said:

nico67 said:

And I have fairies at the bottom of my garden.
    Well John McDonnell has just found £58billion down the back of the sofa😀
  • Options

nico67 said:

One was leaked today, Labour closing the gap by one point, to 30, Tories on 41
    It seems to have been pulled from Britain Elects . Could it be a fake poll or is it correct but just leaked . Do we have confirmation yet.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Labour 123 - 202 - 281

LD 13 - 20 - 62

SNP 20 - 41 - 47

Con 247 - 365 - 448

448!!!! lolz
    247!!!! lolzer!

Can we compromise? Tories on 448 and SNP on 20?
    We'll throw in LibDems on 13 if that helps.
  • Options

As climate change has been mentioned can I ask if Greta and the XRs have been protesting at Chinese embassies since this was revealed ?

While the rest of the world has cut coal-based electricity over the past 18 months, China has added enough to power 31 million homes.

That's according to a study that says China is now in the process of building or reviving coal equivalent to the EU's entire generating capacity.

China is also financing around a quarter of all proposed coal plants outside its borders.

Researchers say the surge is a major threat to the Paris climate targets.

China's reliance on coal as a key step in developing the economy led to the fabled "one coal plant a week" building programme between 2006 and 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50474824

For that matter were Greta and the XRs protesting at Chinese embassies when this was reported in September 2018:

Building work has restarted at hundreds of Chinese coal-fired power stations, according to an analysis of satellite imagery.

The research, carried out by green campaigners CoalSwarm, suggests that 259 gigawatts of new capacity are under development in China.

The authors say this is the same capacity to produce electricity as the entire US coal fleet.

The study says government attempts to cancel many plants have failed.

According to this study, there was a surge in new coal projects approved at provincial level in China between 2014 and 2016. This happened because of a decentralisation programme that shifted authority over coal plant construction approvals to local authorities.

The report says that at present China has 993 gigawatts of coal power capacity, but the approved new plants would increase this by 25%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45640706
  • Options

nico67 said:

It was on @Britainelects earlier.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

geoffw said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

£2Bn for potholes

£1Bn for childcare

I know, they seem small in comparison to Labour's trillion pound bill, but it's still a lot of money.
    As a childless singleton that doesn't drive I don't care about either. But anybody claiming to be green should oppose both subsiding care pollution and over population.
    I personally think we should be encouraging the use of public transport as much as possible and phasing out cars entirely - that should be the ultimate goal IMHO
    They're better than petrol and diesel cars - and if there is no reasonable public transport they seem like a good compromise. But fundamentally we need to transition away from private transport.
    Point of order - based on my trains into London, knowing I’ve caught one tells you very little little about either where I am or where I am going.
    "I'll tell you a riddle. You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter. How can it not matter to you where the train will take you?"
    Talking of which - Sunil - ever been on this little fella?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre_Metro_Operations
  • Options
    Brom said:

Blimey this report on BBC News at 10 from from Rother Valley is not great for Labour and Corbyn.

What happened?
  • Options

geoffw said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

£2Bn for potholes

£1Bn for childcare

Actually, the answer was: "Because we'll be together!"
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

matt said:

Did you see her in Fight Club? Or does nobody talk about that?
    As I said, probably unfair. But feelings are more important than facts now....
  • Options

How long b4 NPEXMP. Is back.on trying to tell us that voters are now moving back to Labour?

You missed his report from Portsmouth then?
  • Options
    camel said:

stodge said:

Ave_it said:

I'd vote tory if I got to make baby with Isabel Hardman.

I'm still angry with her dad for never getting around to introducing me after saying he would several years ago...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797

Sure, but Labour are promising that too.

I'm more worried that the Tories vaguely promise they want to look at the relationship between government, parliament and the courts. Given how their most fervent Tories on here reacted to the prorogation decision - immediately saying it would mean political appointments in future - and given how Boris reacted, it looks like code for 'the court will feel my wrath'.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

He already did that earlier today.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    kjohnw1 said:

nico67 said:

Case in point. Convicted criminal masquerading as a journalist but pushing lines that are helpful to one party.
This discussion has been closed.