Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes make it 6/4 that there’ll be another Brexit referend

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856

Jon Worth has posted a useful and succinct Twitter thread on how Boris might get the numbers to pass a deal. He concludes:

https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1183752172737040385

It's really not that big of an ask if the DUP back a deal. And it seems any deal Boris will agree will realistically be backed by them.

If the DUP object it's a big ask.
    As it has been for a year. Nothing has changed.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,816
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Second our navy is bigger than Spain's and we could blockade the entire Spanish coast if we wished and am sure our old allies Portugal would give us a hand sealing the border their side too

The Spanish coast is 5,000 kilometers long.

And Spain is also connected by land to France.

And I really don't know why I'm engaging with you.
    So what, all major Spanish ports could be blockaded and Spain's main connection to France is via the mountains of the Pyrenees, hardly an effective method of carrying all food imports in
    They do come down to sea level, you know. Railways and roads. Things have moved on a bit since the 1930s.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Second our navy is bigger than Spain's and we could blockade the entire Spanish coast if we wished and am sure our old allies Portugal would give us a hand sealing the border their side too

So what, all major ports could be blockaded and Spain's main connection to France is via the mountains of the Pyrenees, hardly an effective method of carrying all food imports in
    Spain is surely self-sufficient in food.
    With the RAF also bombing Spanish food factories, farms etc I doubt it
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

In view of Johnson's comparison of Corbyn and Mcdonnell to Trotsky and Lenin in his speech today, there can be no complaint if in future Labour seeks to compare him and Cummings to Himmler and Heydrich - or vice versa.

That's an interesting suggestion, as a common complaint is that some truly execrable people get treated as acceptable for some reason because they are marxist - see Stalin flags at rallys - in a way that would rightly cause outrage if it was a fascist being displayed, so if he is saying comparing with those two is ok, is he as you suggest inviting reasonable comparison with horrible people on the other side? I think that probably depends on whether Corbyn or McDonnell would object to being compared to Trostsky or Lenin.
    Probably Corbyn would object - rather than Mcdonnell.
  • Options

And in response to a question as to what he thinks is most likely to happen:

https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1183761082839646208

which is pretty much my view, although it's hard to be confident.

I'd generally agree, and as MorrisDancer suggests it is not in enough peoples' interests to approve a deal, but why do people still suggest there will be any abstentions whatsoever? Who abstains on the biggest constitutional and political question of the generation?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,091
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

So what, all major Spanish ports could be blockaded and Spain's main connection to France is via the mountains of the Pyrenees, hardly an effective method of carrying all food imports in
    They do come down to sea level, you know. Railways and roads. Things have moved on a bit since the 1930s.
    Presumably we’re going to bomb the TGV line.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2019
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

In view of Johnson's comparison of Corbyn and Mcdonnell to Trotsky and Lenin in his speech today, there can be no complaint if in future Labour seeks to compare him and Cummings to Himmler and Heydrich - or vice versa.

That's an interesting suggestion, as a common complaint is that some truly execrable people get treated as acceptable for some reason because they are marxist - see Stalin flags at rallys - in a way that would rightly cause outrage if it was a fascist being displayed, so if he is saying comparing with those two is ok, is he as you suggest inviting reasonable comparison with horrible people on the other side? I think that probably depends on whether Corbyn or McDonnell would object to being compared to Trostsky or Lenin.
    I don't see why he'd object. Corbyn is a man of long-standing principles.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/78174/jeremy-corbyn-called-complete-rehabilitation-leon
  • Options
    All perfectly reasonable if a deal is getting close. But BoJo says NoGo. Weird.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I wonder what Bozo will do .

The EU say we need more time , will he flounce out and say right no deal then even though there was a chance of finalizing it but because of his stupid pledge the brat can’t bear not getting his way .
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,173
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

So what, all major ports could be blockaded and Spain's main connection to France is via the mountains of the Pyrenees, hardly an effective method of carrying all food imports in
    Heavens.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

The RAF would also be bombing Spanish roads and railway tracks too of course
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Have I missed the bit in the QS about declaring war on Spain?
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I was away for a while... how have we gotten to this point please?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Would there be any chance you could rustle up a thread header on the UK's planning for an all-out military campaign against Spain as part of necessary no-deal planning? I'm sure it would be a worthwhile exercise in balancing out what some see as the excessively remainy content often seen in these pages and help show the merits of the arguments for leaving.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    nico67 said:

There were only 8 allegations of voter ID fraud at the last election .

The new voter ID is a solution looking for a problem .

It's a solution to the problem of people voting for parties other than the Conservatives.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

The EU say we need more time , will he flounce out and say right no deal then even though there was a chance of finalizing it but because of his stupid pledge the brat can’t bear not getting his way .
    It was a stupid pledge (if effective in convincing BXP voters he was on their side, which was its intent) given the scenario where it is almost done but needs very small details working out, but one small mitigating point is I would kind of believe him in saying more time is not needed.

These things have been discussed to death for a long time, and new proposals seem to be focusing on a few discrete areas, and I don't buy that it is impossible to reach agreement, or work things through to a point where it is clear agreement cannot be reached, on those discrete areas in the time they have remaining. Such things are not beyond the wit or will of the EU.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Blockading a country which is a big supplier of food to the UK would have the advantage that it's not an attack they'd be preparing against.

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Blockading a country which is a big supplier of food to the UK would have the advantage that it's not an attack they'd be preparing against.
    No one expects the Spanish intervention.
    Good one :+1:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I thought the point of Brexit was to blockade our own ports?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Have I missed the bit in the QS about declaring war on Spain?

I think Spanish citizens who have 3 forms of photo ID will be exempt, or something, but I've only skimmed the thread.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Well if McDonnell would not consider it an insult it's not really equivalent to comparing Boris to the likes of Heydrich.
  • Options
    Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I was away for a while... how have we gotten to this point please?
    Only in the event of a Spanish invasion of Gibraltar and refusal to withdraw
  • Options
    But if it won't cost anything it is not about disenfranchising the poor, they've seen that argument coming. That it is unnecessary and disproportionate seems a better way to go in rejecting the idea than saying it a class issue because of cost, which can be refuted it seems.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024

rcs1000 said:

Why would anyone able to and bothered to register vote not be able to or bothered to get the necessary ID?

Taking up the issue of ID at polling booths, this is implicitly a tax on people who don't have ID. It's a tax because if you don't have a driving license (young, urban people) or a passport (older or poorer folk), then you will need to spend time filling out forms and gathering documents. That is time you could have spent working or enjoying yourself or reading. Just because it's opportunity cost, doesn't make the cost any less real.
    If, as looks likely, we broaden the NI Electoral card system to the rest of the UK - you will not need to fill in a form to get a card in person. You turn up, show you are on the electoral register, hand over your National Insurance number and they do all the work for you.

Yes - that will take time - but it no more so than getting a library card or a bus pass. And a bus pass with a photograph will mean you don't need any additional ID.

Look at the reality of how the system works in NI and you will see that it does work. It needs a few tweaks - as I have spoken about already - but it does work.

Thanks for this.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

UK active military personnel 150 000, Spanish active military personnel 121 000

UK aircraft carriers 2, Spanish aircraft carriers 1

UK nuclear submarines 12, Spanish nuclear submarines 0

UK military aircraft 811, Spanish military aircraft 522

All of which is rather overwhelmed by one key statistic, distance from nearest land border...

Spain 0 metres, UK 1.6 million metres.

So what, the Falklands were further and we recaptured them from Argentina
    You are a very funny guy but I have one question. In such a conflict would you enlist?
    If duty calls..I am sure I could direct operations from a bunker somewhere
    Based entirely on opinionpolls
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Do we know how many incidents of voter impersonation there were? Convictions would be only a fraction, though I assume the overall number is still low.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

But if it won't cost anything it is not about disenfranchising the poor, they've seen that argument coming. That it is unnecessary and disproportionate seems a better way to go in rejecting the idea than saying it a class issue because of cost, which can be refuted it seems.
    I suppose worth considering what it will cost the government in that case (verifying photos, printing cards and administering the free ID system isn't going to be particularly cheap) and whether it's a worthwhile use of public funds given the lack of evidence of a problem. On a cost-benefit basis I'd expect measures to reduce postal voting fraud would give a far better return on any measure other than reducing non-Tory votes.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    I haven't seen his ID.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Given that bus passes (with photo) work for the NI system - and every person over a certain age can get one of them for free - that further undermines his scaremongering.

It should not be harder to get a bus pass or a library card than it should be to register and to vote.

All electoral systems should be as robust as possible - this is a step towards that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'd generally agree, and as MorrisDancer suggests it is not in enough peoples' interests to approve a deal, but why do people still suggest there will be any abstentions whatsoever? Who abstains on the biggest constitutional and political question of the generation?
    Most of the ex-Tories voted for May's deal. It is a stretch to say her deal was acceptable but the Johnson deal is not.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

justin124 said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Oh god. Fish. Again.
    Does everyone on here really give a flying fuck about national fishing grounds? If you told me Spanish trawlers can fish off the coast of Aberdeenshire, and Scottish ones can fish in Galician waters, am I meant to care about this? Serious question, I've no idea why everyone gets so animated about this issue.

Perhaps because its one of our countries natural resources?

Do other countries give away their natural resources to other nations free of charge? If there's an oil field in Spain can anyone who wants to from any firm from any country choose to rock up and take that resource away? Or are the nations other natural resources resolved by the country?
    Are you wearing your English nationalist hat or your British nationalist hat when you say our country's resources? Do you even know?
    Our country is the United Kingdom.

I would like my country to be England, but it is not. You and I would like your country to be Scotland, but it is not. On an international scale our country is the United Kingdom whatever semantics you may deploy.

In the Scottish referendum the question asked was "Should Scotland be an independent country?" to which the voters of Scotland unfortunately voted No, so Scotland by definition is not an independent country nor is England.
    Your country is England, mine Scotland. We live in a supranational state - by definition: vide Ireland and the GFA.
    My country is Great Britain.
    justin124 said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Oh god. Fish. Again.
    Does everyone on here really give a flying fuck about national fishing grounds? If you told me Spanish trawlers can fish off the coast of Aberdeenshire, and Scottish ones can fish in Galician waters, am I meant to care about this? Serious question, I've no idea why everyone gets so animated about this issue.

fish
    Are you wearing your English nationalist hat or your British nationalist hat when you say our country's resources? Do you even know?
    fish
    Your country is England, mine Scotland. We live in a supranational state - by definition: vide Ireland and the GFA.
    My country is Great Britain.
    That's neither a country nor a nation state.

It's an island.
    Therefore does not include Isle of Wight, Lundy, Lindisfarne, Lewis, etc. etc.
  • Options

Given that bus passes (with photo) work for the NI system - and every person over a certain age can get one of them for free - that further undermines his scaremongering.

It should not be harder to get a bus pass or a library card than it should be to register and to vote.

All electoral systems should be as robust as possible - this is a step towards that.
    Ok, DNA test before casting your ballot. That's robust.
  • Options
    He's gone for rhyming slang.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I thought all goods shipments into Barcelona came via mule over the mountain pass.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Tesco control a large part of the agriculture around me on the costa Blanca they have stopped planting now for three weeks.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    What are the plans if France occupies Sark?
  • Options
    slade said:

Therefore does not include Isle of Wight, Lundy, Lindisfarne, Lewis, etc. etc.

But does include Lincolnshire. Sadly.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Polruan said:

kle4 said:

I suppose worth considering what it will cost the government in that case (verifying photos, printing cards and administering the free ID system isn't going to be particularly cheap) and whether it's a worthwhile use of public funds given the lack of evidence of a problem. On a cost-benefit basis I'd expect measures to reduce postal voting fraud would give a far better return on any measure other than reducing non-Tory votes.
    Councils already have the infrastructure in place to run a free ID card system - they use it to administer the free bus pass for those over the retirement age.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,744
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

Die in a ditch, according to him.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

kle4 said:

But that's coming at it from the other direction. Cost to benefit is one way to possibly oppose it, but the objection being posed is cost to the individual, not government, which seems to be easily dismissed if (a big if) the government plans are true.
  • Options

We send Nadine Dorries in and they leave.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Most of the ex-Tories voted for May's deal. It is a stretch to say her deal was acceptable but the Johnson deal is not.
    Yes, assuming he gets one. It's a figleaf for Labour leavers to continue to say no though but also I just cannot see anyone going neutral, so if someone is really petty or they feel freed by lack of the Tory whip they'd surely switch from yes to no, rather than abstain.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

All of which is rather overwhelmed by one key statistic, distance from nearest land border...

You are a very funny guy but I have one question. In such a conflict would you enlist?
    If duty calls..I am sure I could direct operations from a bunker somewhere
    Based entirely on opinionpolls
    "The voters of Epping will deliver a landslide for the Conservatives if we annex Ibiza. The invasion starts tomorrow."
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Polruan said:

kle4 said:

But that's coming at it from the other direction. Cost to benefit is one way to possibly oppose it, but the objection being posed is cost to the individual, not government, which seems to be easily dismissed if (a big if) the government plans are true.
    Yes, I agree with you. I don't actually believe that it will be implemented in a way that doesn't impose financial cost on individuals (e.g. cost of printing photos, postage, travel to offices to obtain ID) plus time cost. My point was that even if the government genuinely bears all financial cost the scope for objection doesn't fall away, it just moves from it being an objection based on the wealth of those who don't have other ID to an objection based on it being a waste of a fairly large chunk of money.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Jacob Rees-Mogg has reportedly hinted that the government could somehow use "European law" to achieve a No Deal Brexit at the end of the month.

Does anyone have any idea what he is talking about?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030

malcolmg said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

WingsoverScotland turning against the EU this afternoon after it fails to stand up for the jailed Catalan nationalists against the Spanish government.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/faith-is-always-blind/

If the SNP then follow suit and back the Catalans against Spain, the EU and Spanish government will then have no complaint when Boris blocks indyref2 and will show no enthusiasm for an Independent Scotland joining the EU either

The SNP, by backing the Catalans, have already poisoned their relationship with the Spanish - who will royally screw them if an independent Scotland ever came knocking at the EU's door seeking entry. Fishing rights would only be the start.
    Yes, in that sense Boris can happily play Spain off against the SNP and ignore Sturgeon
    But the question is, why? Why would he want to do that? The Scottish Parliament clearly voted for a referendum. Why wouldn't we grant one?
    It's a mystery, the likes of HYUFD are insistent that indy would lose again and surely such a second loss (à la Quebec) would kill the issue stone dead.
    Yet desperate not to allow a democratic vote they insist they will win, says it all.
    We heard the "once in a generation" rant one too many times in that famously non-divisive referendum campaign. Sorry, your not getting another one.

You could try a drink to commiserate if you can afford the fun tax.
    Mince, Salmond mentioned once about it being a once in a generation opportunity in his opinion, usual unionist garbage.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Why would anyone able to and bothered to register vote not be able to or bothered to get the necessary ID?

This worries me. There shouldn't be extraneous hoops that people need to jump through to vote. We need to have the fewest barriers to exercising our democratic rights possible, while also guarding our system against fraud.

Taking up the issue of ID at polling booths, this is implicitly a tax on people who don't have ID. It's a tax because if you don't have a driving license (young, urban people) or a passport (older or poorer folk), then you will need to spend time filling out forms and gathering documents. That is time you could have spent working or enjoying yourself or reading. Just because it's opportunity cost, doesn't make the cost any less real.

Still, we want to avoid the risk of personation. So, the solution is simple. If you don't have photo ID you can still vote, but you will get your photo snapped. This can be done in a gloriously low tech initially (i.e. a polaroid, a voter's number and a signature from the polling clerk), but could be become more sophisticated in time.

The consequence of this is to remove the "vote tax", but to also effectively stamp our personation.
    That's a reasonable proposal.
  • Options
    What are the rest of NATO, the EU and the Hispanosphere doing while the RAF is bombing Guernica ?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

WingsoverScotland turning against the EU this afternoon after it fails to stand up for the jailed Catalan nationalists against the Spanish government.

The SNP, by backing the Catalans, have already poisoned their relationship with the Spanish - who will royally screw them if an independent Scotland ever came knocking at the EU's door seeking entry. Fishing rights would only be the start.
    Yes, in that sense Boris can happily play Spain off against the SNP and ignore Sturgeon
    Gibraltar?
    The UK has a bigger and more powerful military than Spain, so Spain will not be invading Gibraltar any time soon
    You might not want to check out the figures for armu and air force personnel. Not much of an advatage there, even before allowing for logistics.

Binkov's battlegrounds is definitive (until @Dura_Ace shows up).

UK vs Spain total war
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbeh-PtHZh0

Spain invades Gibraltar
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=heNh3t76YAs

Armed forces comparison, UK vs Spain
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAjq5_8gU5w
    Good grief!
    It gets loonier and loonier on here, must be something in the water down there.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Jacob Rees-Mogg has reportedly hinted that the government could somehow use "European law" to achieve a No Deal Brexit at the end of the month.

He's talking bollocks.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited October 2019
    I deplore the lack of Leaver ambition. Britain should be pre-emptively occupying Heligoland.
  • Options
    Chris said:

It’s garbage . It’s already been rubbished by legal experts .
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

If reports are to be believed, his proposed deal is considerably harder - and more damaging - than May’s deal was. So that might be a good reason for not voting for such a hard Brexit.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

I deplore the lack of Leaver ambition. Britain should be pre-emptively occupying Heligoland.

Steady on, I need to google where they are first!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If the SNP then follow suit and back the Catalans against Spain, the EU and Spanish government will then have no complaint when Boris blocks indyref2 and will show no enthusiasm for an Independent Scotland joining the EU either

But the question is, why? Why would he want to do that? The Scottish Parliament clearly voted for a referendum. Why wouldn't we grant one?
    It's a mystery, the likes of HYUFD are insistent that indy would lose again and surely such a second loss (à la Quebec) would kill the issue stone dead.
    Yet desperate not to allow a democratic vote they insist they will win, says it all.
    We heard the "once in a generation" rant one too many times in that famously non-divisive referendum campaign. Sorry, your not getting another one.

You could try a drink to commiserate if you can afford the fun tax.
    Mince, Salmond mentioned once about it being a once in a generation opportunity in his opinion, usual unionist garbage.
    How many times does Mr Salmond need to intone before we take him seriously?

Is there some secret incantation where he chants things three times before they become so? And are candles and virgins involved?
  • Options

What are the rest of NATO, the EU and the Hispanosphere doing while the RAF is bombing Guernica ?

Painting classes.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

Strictly taking it back. We swapped it for Zanzibar in about 1890. It’s in the North Sea in the German Bight in the approaches to Hamburg.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Waiting for Spain to leave Gibraltar and not taking any action against the UK, a country with nuclear weapons
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Gibraltar?
    The UK has a bigger and more powerful military than Spain, so Spain will not be invading Gibraltar any time soon
    How would you see the composition and tactics of a taskforce sent to reclaim Gibraltar?
    First of all Gibraltar has its own defence Force anyway in the form of the Royal Gibraltar Regiment but I would suspect bombing raids launched from the Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier, missiles launched from British submarines in the Mediterranean, then the SAS and paras sent in to secure key areas and arm the locals for guerrillla warfare house to house, followed by a full scale ground invasion to reoccupy it would do fine.

LOL!!

You're nothing if not game!
    Not quite sure what would be left of Gibraltar after all that 😂
    Who would supply the planes for the aircraft carrier, assuming the leaks are fixed and it is seaworthy nowadays.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

The top export from the Falklands Islands now is not lamb but squid to Spain.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Stupid question , who would change his nappies
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited October 2019
    Polruan said:

kle4 said:

Polruan said:

kle4 said:

Yes, I agree with you. I don't actually believe that it will be implemented in a way that doesn't impose financial cost on individuals (e.g. cost of printing photos, postage, travel to offices to obtain ID) plus time cost. My point was that even if the government genuinely bears all financial cost the scope for objection doesn't fall away, it just moves from it being an objection based on the wealth of those who don't have other ID to an objection based on it being a waste of a fairly large chunk of money.
    Brilliant politics.

Throw in a harmless policy to draw all the ire and anger. Genuine issues become invisible behind the outrage over nothing more than an insignificant free pimple.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

They would starve us , no more salads
  • Options

Similar to those for a Spanish invasion of Gibraltar but France makes no claim to Sark anyway
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

This worries me. There shouldn't be extraneous hoops that people need to jump through to vote. We need to have the fewest barriers to exercising our democratic rights possible, while also guarding our system against fraud.

Still, we want to avoid the risk of personation. So, the solution is simple. If you don't have photo ID you can still vote, but you will get your photo snapped. This can be done in a gloriously low tech initially (i.e. a polaroid, a voter's number and a signature from the polling clerk), but could be become more sophisticated in time.

The consequence of this is to remove the "vote tax", but to also effectively stamp our personation.
    That's a reasonable proposal.
    As far as I remember if someone goes into to vote and their right to vote is questioned then they are allowed to vote on a yellow ballot paper which is put in an envelope and never opened unless that vote could have affected the result. As an aside whilst it would be extremely difficult to trace a single vote and voter it is possible. When you vote you get a paper from a numerically sequenced book with the number on both the ballot and the counter foil. Your polling number is written on the counter foil and if it came to a petition you can identify a voter. personation was a problem in NI because the meme was vote early vote often,the only problem there is on the mainland are the abuse of postal votes which are equally open to abuse in care homes and other such environments.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314
    Gordon bloody Bennett.

I never thought Brexit would be sunlit uplands but I didn’t expect it to include war with Spain!
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    kle4 said:

if you were a sailor you would know, they are duty free, great place to stock up before going on to Norway or the Baltic.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314
    HYUFD said:

Similar to those for a Spanish invasion of Gibraltar but France makes no claim to Sark anyway
    They can stick it up their Jersey?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Bombing the lettuces, tomatoes and other assorted vegetables
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Waiting for Spain to leave Gibraltar and not taking any action against the UK, a country with nuclear weapons
    Come on having a laugh is one thing and I’m sure you are so wind back before you destroy your reputation for at least having a Tory positive view on polls by appearing completley and utterly bonkers. I assume your having a laugh?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,708

kle4 said:

if you were a sailor you would know, they are duty free, great place to stock up before going on to Norway or the Baltic.
    Invasion bight not be a good idea.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    ydoethur said:

Gordon bloody Bennett.

I never thought Brexit would be sunlit uplands but I didn’t expect it to include war with Spain!

Just like old times!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Gordon bloody Bennett.

HYUFD is always looking for a silver lining.
    Though he’s not yet promised TSE war with the French.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Gordon bloody Bennett.

HYUFD is always looking for a silver lining.
    Though he’s not yet promised TSE war with the French.
    Apparently we will if they try to evade our blockade of Spain.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    ydoethur said:

Gordon bloody Bennett.

It has nothing to do with Brexit, even had it been a Remain vote a Spanish attempted invasion of Gibraltar would have led the UK to declare war on Spain in response
  • Options

Chris said:

He's talking bollocks.
    Sticking to his area of expertise, then.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Come on having a laugh is one thing and I’m sure you are so wind back before you destroy your reputation for at least having a Tory positive view on polls by appearing completley and utterly bonkers. I assume your having a laugh?
    Who knows ?
    In his case, it’s quite difficult to separate the serious from the satirical.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Bombing the lettuces, tomatoes and other assorted vegetables
    That’s a bit too close to my bar for God’s sake but at least the Spanish can put up their euro fighters seven days a week which apparently the RAF can’t. I have four stationed two miles away so not too worried. I think Malcom’s turnips are more dangerous. As another aside the Thomas Cook collapse is causing serious problems with the tourist industry with hotels already closing and a very bleak future outlook.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

No I am serious.

A Spanish invasion of Gibraltar would require a UK declaration of war on Spain exactly as we went to war with Argentina when they invaded the Falklands.

UK sovereign territory must be defended
  • Options
    There seems to be a total shutdown in Barcelona's airport and pro-independence movement is mobilized all around Catalonia in response to political verdicts
  • Options
    Just a thought will the government try the trick of not providing tellers for certain votes .

Thinking back , the Kinnock amendment passed because no tellers were provided in the no lobby .

Would the government try this with a vote on no deal . Nothing would surprise me , not sure what Bercow could do on this front .

Of course if they did this there would be huge outrage , and more likely a VONC would follow but then they could also cheat that aswell .

• Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

No I am serious.

A Spanish invasion of Gibraltar would require a UK declaration of war on Spain exactly as we went to war with Argentina when they invaded the Falklands.

Spain wont invade Gibraltar. Who came up with that one?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

They can stick it up their Jersey?
    That’s a Hermeneutic question.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    HYUFD said:

Get some professional help.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

No I am serious.

Himself
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

No I am serious.

What if Ireland claims County Antrim after a six-county vote for unification? Do we go to war with Ireland to defend your statelet?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

No I am serious.

What if Ireland claims County Antrim after a six-county vote for unification? Do we go to war with Ireland to defend your statelet?
    He will say yes so why ask the question?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

No I am serious.

Himself

Oh... well it’s marginally amusing but given he is ‘so close’ to the levers of power I should be marginally worried. I could turn my swimming pool into an Anderson shelter I suppose.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

No I am serious.

No more drugs for HYUFD!
  • Options
    As far as Spain goes I should know better but 1 were the convictions for sedition purely based on an illegal referendum and associated costs, or is there more to it?
    2 is the Supreme Court in Spain politically controlled or free of the executive? I’ve looked at RTVE but it’s beyond my Spanish.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    Interesting, I'd identified the "best" decades for parties in a previous thread, though I'd omitted UKIP.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Gordon bloody Bennett.

War of Andrea Jenkyns' Ear?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

No I am serious.

There was no declaration of war during the Falklands conflict.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

nico67 said:

There were only 8 allegations of voter ID fraud at the last election .

The new voter ID is a solution looking for a problem .

It's a solution to the problem of people voting for parties other than the Conservatives.
    Rahman?
  • Options

Let them keep the Barclays

(Anyway it’s part of the Duke of Normandy’s territory so it’s up to her)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Gordon bloody Bennett.

We’re missing a trick I feel. We should be seizing Burgundy and the Amalfi coast, surely.

Stuff Gibraltar.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

No I am serious.

No more drugs for HYUFD!
    Alternatively, he needs a double dose?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Gordon bloody Bennett.

That is the sunlit uplands!
This discussion has been closed.