Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling analysis: One in three CON GE2017 Remainers now say th

Comments

• The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    spudgfsh said:

Just to say!

Talking to a bloke in a Halifax in a pub. He would vote to remain! I will see what others think...

when he said he'd vote to remain, was that to remain in the pub?
    No, He was against Brexit! He said it would limit his travel and immigrants would depress his wage as non-EU immigrants would depress his earning potential!
  • chloechloe Posts: 308
    We are getting lots of Lib Dem leaflets in Finchley and Golders Green. They certainly seem to be fighting hard here. As a remain voter and former Conservative voter I will be voting for Luciana Berger.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Austerity update:

Britons are spending more on a night out than at any point in the last three years, a survey suggests.

Club and bar chain Deltic found the average person spent £70.69 on a night out in the three months to September.

That is up 25% on the same period last year and the highest since October 2016 when the survey began.

Deltic surveyed 2,300 people about all sorts of nights out, including trips to the cinema, restaurants, pubs and nightclubs.

The survey found that during the three months to the end of September, 61% of people went on a night out at least once a week, up from 56.2% last year.

Spending increased on every component of the evening - from drinks at home and transport, to entry fees, food and alcohol bought at venues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49873533

Possibly not the most 'scientific' of surveys but it does show that many, many people are doing very well currently.

Or at least spending in that way.

A bit of both. Quite a lot of people are actually still doing well. Plenty of others pretend that they are with the aid of forgiving credit card providers.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Austerity update:

Britons are spending more on a night out than at any point in the last three years, a survey suggests.

Club and bar chain Deltic found the average person spent £70.69 on a night out in the three months to September.

That is up 25% on the same period last year and the highest since October 2016 when the survey began.

Deltic surveyed 2,300 people about all sorts of nights out, including trips to the cinema, restaurants, pubs and nightclubs.

The survey found that during the three months to the end of September, 61% of people went on a night out at least once a week, up from 56.2% last year.

Spending increased on every component of the evening - from drinks at home and transport, to entry fees, food and alcohol bought at venues.

Possibly not the most 'scientific' of surveys but it does show that many, many people are doing very well currently.

*cough* household debt *cough*
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920
    edited September 2019
    chloe said:

We are getting lots of Lib Dem leaflets in Finchley and Golders Green. They certainly seem to be fighting hard here. As a remain voter and former Conservative voter I will be voting for Luciana Berger.

That was a very clever piece of matching. Lots of Labour votes to pick up as well.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262

Austerity update:

I am not saying this is necessarily true but those survey numbers could result from people who previously didn't spend much no longer being able to afford to go out, thus causing the average spend amongst those still going out to rise.
  • He’s a habitual liar.
    Well if society rewards lying with becoming PM or president why wouldnt an ambitious politician become a habitual liar, rather than an occasional one. The habitual one gets a pass for anything, the occasional ones get sacked when they are caught.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911

I can believe this.

As a life long Tory, I have now switched to Lib Dems.

And I’m a life long Labourite who’s switched to the LDs. Reminds me of that famous VE day picture of the Russians and Americans shaking hands in the middle of Berlin.
    This might be more appropriate.

https://archive.cartoons.ac.uk/GetMultimedia.ashx?db=Catalog&type=default&fname=LSE4323.jpg
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited September 2019

Austerity update:

More likely realizing that they may as well enjoy life rather than save for that deposit which is beyond them or whatever maybe life’s to short
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    spudgfsh said:

Somebody can check my Maths but my workings are Con L/R split 70:30,
    Con got 42.4% in 2017. So 33% of 30% is 10%. So overall 4..2% is added to the LD score. This was 7.4% in 2017, so where is the rest of the LD bounce coming from and this remainer part is the largest. Well can only be the trots.

it doesn't take maths to work that one out. just look at the overall numbers for Labour and compare it to the last GE. They've lost anywhere between 17 and 20% in vote share. those votes are not going Tory but LD / Green / SNP / PC
    Yes but it also illustrates that the headline 33% of Troy Remainer Voters means that it does very little damage to the Torys. Unless the tory remain vote is concentrated in certain seats it will not mean Lib Dem victories in Tory land,

PS I by mistake hit the offtopic button on your post, I apologise for my fat fingers.
  • chloe said:

We are getting a lot from the Lib Dems in Streatham as well. Even though Chuka has decamped and the LDs are running a new and unknown candidate.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Nigelb said:

Just to say!

Talking to a bloke in a Halifax in a pub. He would vote to remain! I will see what others think...

How many Halifaxes are there ?
    (I’m aware of the Canadian one, but still.)

Or did he bring his WWII bomber in with him ?
    Halifax bomber!

They wasted large parts of Germany!

It meant a shorter WW11!

spudgfsh said:

Con got 42.4% in 2017. So 33% of 30% is 10%. So overall 4..2% is added to the LD score. This was 7.4% in 2017, so where is the rest of the LD bounce coming from and this remainer part is the largest. Well can only be the trots.

it doesn't take maths to work that one out. just look at the overall numbers for Labour and compare it to the last GE. They've lost anywhere between 17 and 20% in vote share. those votes are not going Tory but LD / Green / SNP / PC
    Yes but it also illustrates that the headline 33% of Troy Remainer Voters means that it does very little damage to the Torys. Unless the tory remain vote is concentrated in certain seats it will not mean Lib Dem victories in Tory land,

PS I by mistake hit the offtopic button on your post, I apologise for my fat fingers.
    Those Troy Remainers have been on something of an odyssey. :wink:
  • Nigelb said:

Just to say!

Halifax bomber!

It meant a shorter WW11!
    11? Are there 9 I have missed?
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,442
    edited September 2019

Austerity update:

If this is a median answer it is way over what I would expect. Or is the cost for a couple or perhaps for big nights out rather than an average night out. No way the median average person spends that on an average night out.

Of course it could be marketing from a leisure chain encouraging people to spend more or be seen as tight, which lazy bbc journalists report as news.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

spudgfsh said:

Hit it a second time to undo your off topic fat finger damage.

chloe said:

That was a very clever piece of matching. Lots of Labour votes to pick up as well.
    I understand that Labour’s candidate has stepped down after a bit of controversy.

Nigelb said:

Just to say!

Halifax bomber!

It meant a shorter WW11!
    Tbf he did mention he was in the pub in Halifax - the Black Sheep is obviously flowing. :lol:
  • Nigelb said:

Just to say!

Halifax bomber!

It meant a shorter WW11!
    Tbf he did mention he was in the pub in Halifax - the Black Sheep is obviously flowing. :lol:
    SeanT? :D:D
  • Austerity update:

I am not saying this is necessarily true but those survey numbers could result from people who previously didn't spend much no longer being able to afford to go out, thus causing the average spend amongst those still going out to rise.
    That might be a factor.

There are certainly people struggling but, for example, the great horde of oldies who regularly eat out is something which didn't happen a generation ago.

chloe said:

We are getting a lot from the Lib Dems in Streatham as well. Even though Chuka has decamped and the LDs are running a new and unknown candidate.
    Has Chuka been selected for a seat elsewhere?
  • spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,300

spudgfsh said:

the remain vote isn't what could hurt the tories. it's the brexit flank which could do more damage. I can't predict what'll happen at the next election though. it's a shake-em-up election. both Tory and Labour are losing LOTS of voters it just depends on where and who to.

we all suffer from FFS every so often.
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Austerity update:

I've had a couple of evenings in the pub with a friends recently and I don't think any of us got through more than £20 (four beers, some chips). Really looking forward to this £170 Leo Sayer All Dayer to get back up to the average.
  • I can believe this.

And I’m a life long Labourite who’s switched to the LDs. Reminds me of that famous VE day picture of the Russians and Americans shaking hands in the middle of Berlin.
    As a life long floating voter, I have switched to the LDs.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    chloe said:

chloe said:

Cities of London and Westminster

Austerity update:

That might be a factor.

There are certainly people struggling but, for example, the great horde of oldies who regularly eat out is something which didn't happen a generation ago.
    Spending those ever-increasing triple lock pensions before Jezza brings in 100% inheritance tax? :wink:
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Austerity update:

That might be a factor.

Spending those ever-increasing triple lock pensions before Jezza brings in 100% inheritance tax? :wink:
    If inheritance tax is set at 100% they will be spending it even quicker...

I can believe this.

Given the numbers on here switching to the LDs, and recognising how PBers are such trend-setters, I predict a Lib Dem landslide at the next GE!
  • The lying liar lies again. I'd be more surprised if a journalist caught him telling the truth.
  • nichomar said:

Austerity update:

More likely realizing that they may as well enjoy life rather than save for that deposit which is beyond them or whatever maybe life’s to short
    It might be interesting to have data on how consumer spending varies according to the housing affordability of an area.

Not only would you have more incentive to save towards a deposit where housing is affordable but it must be psychologically depressing (and so more likely to seek immediate pleasures) to live someone when you are never likely to buy a house.

chloe said:

chloe said:

I hadn't spotted that. Quite a brave move but who knows, it could pay off.
  • I can believe this.

Given the numbers on here switching to the LDs, and recognising how PBers are such trend-setters, I predict a Lib Dem landslide at the next GE!
    PB is the perfect demographic for the Lib Dems.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,954

spudgfsh said:

Those Troy Remainers have been on something of an odyssey. :wink:
    Hittite out the park....
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708

I can believe this.

Did any PBer vote Brexit Party in the European elections given they came first and the LDs were second?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    chloe said:

If the Lib Dems are targeting an area you'll get tonnes of bumpf through the letter box.

I can believe this.

Are you implying we're not representative of the country at large?!
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Austerity update:

Far fewer spending on going abroad, now that the £ is down there with the African currencies?
    edited September 2019

Austerity update:

That might be a factor.

He would go for 100% income tax on high earners first, it would be less unpopular

I can believe this.

We're certainly not a scientifically selected sample
  • chloe said:

chloe said:

As someone with a bet on Labour to win Streatham at 6/4, I was delighted.

HYUFD said:

Opinium also has 32% of 2017 Labour Remainers now voting LD and 21% of 2017 Labour Leavers now voting Tory and 37% of 2017 LD Leavers now also voting Tory.

https://www.opinium.co.uk/political-polling-11th-september-2019-2/

Genuine question: how many LD leavers are/were there?
    Now? 5.....
  • I can believe this.

Voters who know their NI numbers off by heart?
  • Interesting to see how low that number was even as late as May.

Plenty of shit had already hit the fan by then. The difference is Boris.

I looked at the timing of the improvement in the Lib Dems polling share and it followed very clearly their good results in first the local, and then the European, elections.

Before the credibility gained from these good election results, people weren't willing to tell pollsters they'd vote Lib Dem. Even though when it came to it they did vote Lib Dem. Perhaps there was a cleansing effect, dispelling the legacy from the Coalition, by seeing that other people were willing to put immediate concerns above recent history.

It predated the Conservative leadership election anyway.

chloe said:

chloe said:

I'm on that one too, I've gone for the Tories in the Cities of London & Westminster mind.
    Glad I'm watching the athletics not the footie.....

HYUFD said:

Opinium also has 32% of 2017 Labour Remainers now voting LD and 21% of 2017 Labour Leavers now voting Tory and 37% of 2017 LD Leavers now also voting Tory.

https://www.opinium.co.uk/political-polling-11th-september-2019-2/

Genuine question: how many LD leavers are/were there?
    30% of 2015 LD voters voted Leave

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

He’s a habitual liar.

In any situation, his minds turns immediately to “what do I have to say to get out of this?”. Whether it is true or not doesn’t come into it.

Well somebody has to looking at the empty stadium
  • Drutt said:

Austerity update:

I've had a couple of evenings in the pub with a friends recently and I don't think any of us got through more than £20 (four beers, some chips). Really looking forward to this £170 Leo Sayer All Dayer to get back up to the average.
    £20 for four beers and some chips ???

Without going all Monty Python you could do that for a tenner in parts of Yorkshire :wink:
  • HYUFD said:

I can believe this.

Did any PBer vote Brexit Party in the European elections given they came first and the LDs were second?
    I was planning on voting Brexit party for the Euros (mainly to try to symmetricise the England/Scotland vote) but was too agoraphobic on the day.
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

I can believe this.

I was planning on voting Brexit party for the Euros (mainly to try to symmetricise the England/Scotland vote) but was too agoraphobic on the day.
    Thanks I think the lack of an answer from most means a No, which shows how strongly Remain or anti hard Brexit PB has now become with a few exceptions
  • JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited September 2019

spudgfsh said:

Byronic said:

There'd be a shortage of champers in the UK after a 60/40 vote.

Not in England. You over-estimate the desire in England to stay linked to the Scots, after the first indyref, and Brexit. A large minority, maybe a majority of English people would quite happily say goodbye to Scotland and Edinburgh's perceived drag on the English treasury.

I am not one of them. I am a convinced English unionist and a happy Briton, I don't want Scotland to go, but I can see the polls on English perceptions, and I can sense the mood around me.
    There's a growing sense of English identity in a fashion which Scotland and Wales have always had. There is very little left that actually fosters a British identity anymore. Probably only the olympics?
    It's the same F-ing Island as someone once famously (to me at least) stated on PB.

We don't need to go on marches every week like the Yessers.
    It's the Unionists that march (sometimes several times) every week round my bit, and they seem to have a deep, unnatural attachment to a part of another island.
    Glasgow is a sectarian hell-hole. It's your choice to live there. Although I admit the locals were quite friendly for the couple of pints I've had there (Blur concert)
  • Pulpstar said:

chloe said:

chloe said:

I'm on that one too, I've gone for the Tories in the Cities of London & Westminster mind.
    Streatham is the only constituency bet I’ve placed. I’m not ready to place any more because politics is so volatile right now.

When I do, I expect my default will be to back second favourites.
  • IanB2 said:

Austerity update:

Far fewer spending on going abroad, now that the £ is down there with the African currencies?
    No shortage of that either:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/leisureandtourism/timeseries/gmbb/ott

And there's plenty of PBers giving accounts of their ocean cruises and travels across America.

:smile:
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I am torn between supporting LD and Labour to preseve a pro-EU Labour MP. It depends on the polls! I used to vote Tory but under BoJo and his extreamist stance I cannot support that!

Which constituency?
    I would rather not say as i dont thiink it will add anything! But it is a pro-EU MP who lost his rag in the last few weeks in parlament! That to the people who follow political discourse will perhaps give a clue to my locationn? Or maybe not!
    Huddersfield!
    Yes, but not at this time! I am in halifax and to be fair have heard no political chat! But will investigate.
    Halifax is normally a Labour - leaning marginal - though Tory-held 1983 - 87 and also 1955 -64. Labour had a clear win there in 2017 - though it might be close next time.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Did anything of any note happen in the House of Commons today?
  • TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584

I can believe this.

Er naw..
  • How high does it have to get to make any difference to the senate republicans voting? 60? 65?
    TGOHF2 said:

I can believe this.

Er naw..
    Shocked, I am.
    HYUFD said:

Crowd a bit better tonight. The Ethiopians turned up.
  • How high does it have to get to make any difference to the senate republicans voting? 60? 65?
    Whatever the Nixon figure was I guess.

Pulpstar said:

chloe said:

chloe said:

Streatham is the only constituency bet I’ve placed. I’m not ready to place any more because politics is so volatile right now.

When I do, I expect my default will be to back second favourites.
    Shadsy made Lib Dems favourites in the Cities of London & Westminster
  • The destruction of the peace and good manners of England continues:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1178659118619467777
  • HYUFD said:

I feel sorry for the athletes. What a farce. Sport is enveloped in corruption.

How many clean sports are left? Netball? Pony trekking? Shinty?
  • TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    AndyJS said:

Solved Brexit, passed loads of new laws...
    I can't decide whether Boris will win a 200 seat majority or get badly defeated.
    Arsenal fourth best team in London.

If they let two more goals in, they are fifth behind Palace. Must be relieved Fulham got relegated......
    To sway the most GOP 1/3 + 1, I'd say more like 75 or 80.
    AndyJS said:

I can't decide whether Boris will win a 200 seat majority or get badly defeated.

You can forget the former; the latter is a distinct possibility.
  • TGOHF2 said:

I can believe this.

Er naw..
    Lib Dems winning here.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...
  • TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

I can believe this.

That's a myth. Noone knows their NI number off by heart 😂
  • The destruction of the peace and good manners of England continues:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1178659118619467777

On a longer historical timeline, we used to put people in the stocks and hurl mouldy veg at them...
    edited September 2019
    Tabman said:

I can believe this.

I do. it's AB123456C

(edit: not really but I do know it by heart)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    edited September 2019
    Perhaps the first time the words Francois and subtle have ever appeared in the same sentence ?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/30/hardline-conservative-brexiters-open-door-to-support-for-deal
    Francois’ comments were seen as a subtle shift in approach for the ERG, whose support could unlock a deal for Boris Johnson....

Truly, we live in strange times.
  • chloe said:

Finchley and Golders Green (Shadsy)

LD 4/5
    Con 5/4
    Lab 8/1
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    TGOHF2 said:

AndyJS said:

Solved Brexit, passed loads of new laws...
    Oh good. That’s a relief.
  • spudgfsh said:

Tabman said:

I can believe this.

I do. it's AB123456C

This is a popular misconception. The NI number is not the same as the NHS number. The NHS number is a 9 digit number which you only ever know when you change your doctor!
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited September 2019
    New market - next GE

Reading East (Lab Maj 3,749; Matt Rodda MP)

Con EVS
    Lab EVS
    LD 6/1
    Bxp 100/1
  • TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    spudgfsh said:

Tabman said:

I can believe this.

I do. it's AB123456C

So do I. 😬
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    TGOHF2 said:

And how many would still vote LD when we have left by the time of the election ?

What’s the thinking behind having a sectarian loyalist icon as your avatar?
  • New market - next GE

Reading East (Lab Maj 3,749; Matt Rodda MP)

Con EVS
    Lab EVS
    LD 6/1
    Bxp 100/1

I think that's a constituency with a high student population.
  • chloe said:

chloe said:

The local Labour party is in complete disarray, they have not been allowed to start the process of selecting a candidate and AFAIK there has been no leaflets or other activity since Chuka went. The Lib Dems had a solid base before 2010 but the coalition years saw them lose all their councillors and their vote melted away - the main local opposition to Labour is now the Greens. But even so I think Labour would hold the seat.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    edited September 2019
    Nigelb said:

Perhaps the first time the words Francois and subtle have ever appeared in the same sentence ?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/30/hardline-conservative-brexiters-open-door-to-support-for-deal
    Francois’ comments were seen as a subtle shift in approach for the ERG, whose support could unlock a deal for Boris Johnson....

Truly, we live in strange times.

Nige (Farage) will see that as Private Francois waving a white flag.
    I disagree with about 50% of LD policies but usually end up voting for them anyway. It might be different if I lived in a Con/Lab marginal.
  • chloe said:

LD 4/5
    Con 5/4
    Lab 8/1

Those odds are ridiculous. This is a seat where the LDs polled less than 7% last time and less than 4% in 2015.

The value there is the 8/1 on Labour.

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

HYUFD said:

Only three years until we have a whole football World Cup of empty stadia.
  • Scott_P said:
    I have no idea who Kenny is, but I think angry dismissals of this type are wearing a bit thin now. Have the sensitivities of a community residing both within a state and outside of it ever been dealt with in such a painstaking way as those of the nationalist community are by the UK at the moment?
  • I can believe this.

Are you implying that there are some who do not???
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

spudgfsh said:

Tabman said:

I can believe this.

I do. it's AB123456C

This is a popular misconception. The NI number is not the same as the NHS number. The NHS number is a 9 digit number which you only ever know when you change your doctor!
    Know both my US and UK national insurance/social security numbers by heart ... now. Went 25 years without using my UK number, and lost the card to had to get a replacement. The first thing I did was memorize the number.
  • chloe said:

LD 4/5
    Con 5/4
    Lab 8/1

Those odds are ridiculous. This is a seat where the LDs polled less than 7% last time and less than 4% in 2015.

The value there is the 8/1 on Labour.

If the Labour Party wasn’t led by a Cold War relic.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    One issues for moderates of any sort (remainers and leavers, centre right and centre left, One Nation, social democrat etc) is that of competence. Neither labour nor Conservative have shown the much trace of ordinary political competence, consistency or trustworthiness recently. If you want a government with these features at the moment the LDs look the least tainted choice.

Scott_P said:
    I have no idea who Kenny is, but I think angry dismissals of this type are wearing a bit thin now. Have the sensitivities of a community residing both within a state and outside of it ever been dealt with in such a painstaking way as those of the nationalist community are by the UK at the moment?
    Is this some kind of attempt at satire?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112

Scott_P said:
    He's a journalist on the Scotsman, which is one of the more rabidly British nationalist newspapers in Scotland.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    spudgfsh said:

Tabman said:

I can believe this.

I do. it's AB123456C

Doesn’t everyone?
    (Although I do occasionally get a call from one of my siblings who’s forgotten theirs, as they’re sequential).
  • Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Only three years until we have a whole football World Cup of empty stadia.
    Don’t depress me.

International sporting championships should have a No Dictatorships rule.
This discussion has been closed.