Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Anorak said:
    Thats to stop them getting out isn’t it?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Traditional LAB/CON switchers won't be the primary Tory targets in the next election. Firstly, because the Labour vote is close to its extremely sticky floor of around 20%, and most of those voters are never going to switch to the Conservatives. Secondly, because the bulk of voters who have left the Conservatives since 2017 have gone to the Lib Dems or Brexit Party, it makes far more sense to target those voters who have at least demonstrated that they're willing to vote Conservative in a pinch.

My expectation is that the Tories will continue to squeeze the Brexit Party vote by arguing that only Boris Johnson can deliver Brexit, and squeeze Tory-LD switchers by arguing that Johnson is better than Corbyn. And, of course, coming up with some generous post-Brexit spending pledges to squeeze both.

Furthermore, you might almost think that having Parliament force an extension which Johnson can credibly argue to Leave voters he didn't want and did everything he could to prevent, giving him an extra couple months to hold an election without worrying about a no deal Brexit in the middle of the campaign while reinforcing the People VS Parliament narrative he needs to win back Conservatives who have gone over to the Brexit Party, plays right into his hands.

I think the path for Johnson is very narrow, but I wouldn't write his chances off.

Good post. I am in the latter group of disaffected Cons supporters you describe. Plus it has been my contention that post-October 31 would be fatal for Boris. Perhaps I am overestimating the resolution of some Brexiters while underestimating Nigel's efficacy. The latter though a dangerous path.
    Doesn't it make you pause and think that everyone here saying that post-October 31 would be fatal is a remainer who wishes it to be fatal?

I don't see anyone who supports Boris suggesting that an extension forced by his opponents would hurt him rather than play into his hands.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Interesting - and last time it was a majority government!
    "William IV's dismissal of Lord Melbourne's Whig government in November 1834 was the last time a British monarch tried to assert political authority by bringing down a government that had majority support in the House of Commons."
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anorak said:
    That's so clever!

It's not as though the hotel at the Tory Party conference has ever been targeted by terrorists, is it?
    One, you are missing the point. Two, the Brighton bomb was planted the month before, not walked in on the day.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It's so easy to be a smart-arsed twat these days.

And then get retweeted by Scott.....

I have never retweeted you
    hehe
  • Options

This was in this week's NS article about Dom and his vision:

Victory for the Tories lies in winning seats far down the list of Labour targets, to make up for the 30 or so MPs they could lose in Scotland and in Remain constituencies in England. For Johnson to win a majority, you have to go about 60 seats down the list of Labour seats that the Tories could win, which is when you get to Easington in the north-east of England.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/09/dominic-cummings-machiavel-downing-street

Easington? Is Dom serious? This all sounds a bit far fetched to me.

Easington is 197 on the Labour defence list, it's the 60th safest seat they have. NS are reading the list upside down
    LOL!!

Don't think anyone's suggested Labour will go down to fewer than 60 seats remaining. What's next, in order to gain any seats the Tories need to be winning places like Liverpool Walton?
    Someone should tell the NS that Labour's internal polling (apparently) shows them at risk of losing 100 seats.....
    Why are Labour so afraid of a General Election? The puzzle continues. 😂
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919

This is the best policy any government in Britain has come up with in the entire history of ever. It solves the country's biggest social and economic problem without costing anyone any money.

I suppose the voters will hate it.
    Quite. Almost everywhere else in the world is much more liberal with planning laws with respect to extensions.

You need to keep exceptions for AONB and listed buildings, and ensure that appropriate permission is still required for adding extra dwellings rather than extending existing units.

Planning reform is one of the most urgent issues facing the U.K., but as you say it has the potential to be hugely unpopular. (As with most of the “too-difficult” pile, see social care, welfare reform, tertiary education funding and many more).
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Traditional LAB/CON switchers won't be the primary Tory targets in the next election. Firstly, because the Labour vote is close to its extremely sticky floor of around 20%, and most of those voters are never going to switch to the Conservatives. Secondly, because the bulk of voters who have left the Conservatives since 2017 have gone to the Lib Dems or Brexit Party, it makes far more sense to target those voters who have at least demonstrated that they're willing to vote Conservative in a pinch.

My expectation is that the Tories will continue to squeeze the Brexit Party vote by arguing that only Boris Johnson can deliver Brexit, and squeeze Tory-LD switchers by arguing that Johnson is better than Corbyn. And, of course, coming up with some generous post-Brexit spending pledges to squeeze both.

Furthermore, you might almost think that having Parliament force an extension which Johnson can credibly argue to Leave voters he didn't want and did everything he could to prevent, giving him an extra couple months to hold an election without worrying about a no deal Brexit in the middle of the campaign while reinforcing the People VS Parliament narrative he needs to win back Conservatives who have gone over to the Brexit Party, plays right into his hands.

I think the path for Johnson is very narrow, but I wouldn't write his chances off.

Good post. I am in the latter group of disaffected Cons supporters you describe. Plus it has been my contention that post-October 31 would be fatal for Boris. Perhaps I am overestimating the resolution of some Brexiters while underestimating Nigel's efficacy. The latter though a dangerous path.

Doesn't it make you pause and think that everyone here saying that post-October 31 would be fatal is a remainer who wishes it to be fatal?

I don't see anyone who supports Boris suggesting that an extension forced by his opponents would hurt him rather than play into his hands.
    That is because to support Boris you have to have had a political lobotomy
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,060

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

fpt for me

+++
    Byronic said:

This is a rather brilliant essay (with fascinating index) on the best places to live in the world, taking into account weather plus crime, costs, etc

https://medium.com/@BambouClub/which-city-has-the-best-climate-in-the-world-355e013e9e95

Look how badly Ireland, Scotland and northern England do on "irradiation" i.e. sun. Practically unique in the world in their sunlessness, only central south China and the Aleutian Islands are worse.

That is quite impressive in a bad way. Explains the Mancunian character.

+++

Also worth noting that on sun hours, the bleakness of northern Ireland and western Scotland are only matched by the desolations of Iceland, Newfoundland, Antarctica, and central northern Siberia.

OUTER northern Siberia is, in sun hours, nicer than Glasgow.

Visit Scotland should use this in their advertising. "Come to Scotland, about as pleasant as Novaya Zemlya".

It is still the same bollox as last thread. For someone who lives in the sweltering concrete cesspit of London it really is a hoot.
    You make a typically elegant and perceptive point, malcolm, nonetheless you are not at liberty to dispute the facts. The chart shows that western Scotland gets the same amount of sun as Yakutia, Siberia. Literally.

I venture this might explain the tendency to mild irritability in your character.
    LOL, I am never irritable except when confronted by stupidity ( common on here ). We certainly do not get enough sun, but when we do it is exceedingly pleasant , none of your mugginess and crap and no madding crowds to spoil your happiness. I have lived down south and the little extra sun did not make up for the horrible amount of traffic and people. It made it almost impossible to enjoy holidays except in your own garden.
    PS: Yakutia must be a green and pleasant place
    PPS: Sun is shining as I post, trees are turning and a fine autumn beckons
    I'd rather Fort William in a hoolie than Oxford in a heatwave
    my thinking as well.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,894
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    [Hops up and down with frustration]

The Dismissal! The Dismissal! When the Australian PM was dismissed in the 1970's by the Governor-General! It's the same principle and it happened in the 1970s!

Many exclamation marks!!!!

• Options
    You know it is getting bad when even hurricanes refuse to touch the UK :D:D
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Not really, he thinks its an amusing comment on the NI border, whereas the fact the government needs extraordinary measures to prevent attempts to blow them up is not really a joking matter

The NI border needs extraordinary measures to prevent attempts to blow them up

That's the point. You missed it. Again.
    No it doesn't.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

When Theresa May was forced by her opponents to delay Brexit she was doomed. Hard to see how Boris escapes the same fate.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

fpt for me

+++
    Byronic said:

This is a rather brilliant essay (with fascinating index) on the best places to live in the world, taking into account weather plus crime, costs, etc

https://medium.com/@BambouClub/which-city-has-the-best-climate-in-the-world-355e013e9e95

Look how badly Ireland, Scotland and northern England do on "irradiation" i.e. sun. Practically unique in the world in their sunlessness, only central south China and the Aleutian Islands are worse.

+++

Also worth noting that on sun hours, the bleakness of northern Ireland and western Scotland are only matched by the desolations of Iceland, Newfoundland, Antarctica, and central northern Siberia.

Visit Scotland should use this in their advertising. "Come to Scotland, about as pleasant as Novaya Zemlya".

It is still the same bollox as last thread. For someone who lives in the sweltering concrete cesspit of London it really is a hoot.
    You make a typically elegant and perceptive point, malcolm, nonetheless you are not at liberty to dispute the facts. The chart shows that western Scotland gets the same amount of sun as Yakutia, Siberia. Literally.

I venture this might explain the tendency to mild irritability in your character.
    LOL, I am never irritable except when confronted by stupidity ( common on here ). We certainly do not get enough sun, but when we do it is exceedingly pleasant , none of your mugginess and crap and no madding crowds to spoil your happiness. I have lived down south and the little extra sun did not make up for the horrible amount of traffic and people. It made it almost impossible to enjoy holidays except in your own garden.
    The inner Hebrides, on a fine summer's day, are quite possibly the most beautiful place on God's green earth. Also the food is markedly improved, as it is elsewhere in our fair British islands.

It's just that, for me, there isn't enough of these sunny days; even in relatively sunnier London I get immiserated by the grey.

As ever the ideal would be a mix. A London flat plus a nice little home in the Greek islands would suit me. Plus maybe a botlhole in Thailand. And a ranch in Arizona. I don't ask for much.
    Sure you can afford it all
  • Options

Doesn't it make you pause and think that everyone here saying that post-October 31 would be fatal is a remainer who wishes it to be fatal?.

It's not just the earnest desirings of diehard Remainers, Philip. There's speculative polling [I know] that says Boris wins big if he delivers by October 31st, but loses if he doesn't.

• Options

TOPPING said:

When Theresa May was forced by her opponents to delay Brexit she was doomed. Hard to see how Boris escapes the same fate.
    Theresa May wasn't forced. She voluntarily suggested, called a vote for, and then voted for an extension.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

That is because to support Boris you have to have had a political lobotomy
    If that's the case then why would Oct or Nov make a difference to his supporters?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT - on Boris’s wandering hands (allegedly):-

If women and girls reported every sexual assault, however minor, to the police, they’d be doing little else from about the age of 12 onwards. And doubtless they’d be criticised for diverting the police from “more important” crimes and/or accused of being hysterical about trivial matters. It is beyond tiresome that women have to - as a matter of routine in pretty much all walks of life - put up with chimpanzee-like behaviour from men of all types. It’d be quite nice if they’d grow up and learn some more civilized mating techniques.

Depressingly, I doubt all these stories will affect peoples’ views of Boris one bit: that he’s a priapic liar is priced in. His opponents are making the same mistake as those thinking that all those IRA stories would harm Corbyn during the last GE. Something more than “Boris is a lech” is needed.

While I agree with that, it is troubling that we have an asymmetric situation

Charlotte Easton (?) could have made these allegations public - or complained to the police - at any point in the last 20 years.

She could have done so during the #metoo campaign a couple of years ago

And yet she chooses to make a word-against-word allegation at a time it will draw the most attention and thereby benefit her career the most while potentially damaging the accused the most

That doesn’t seem equitable to me.
    It is pretty pathetic indeed
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    May I just point out to some frothers down thread the context of Dominic Grieve indicating that the Queen would dismiss Boris.

The Prime Minister had refused to observe the Benn Act, had been taken to the Supreme Court and lost and then refused to accept the judgment, defied the law and refused to resign as Prime Minister.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

TOPPING said:

Yes that is true. But I can't help feeling that Nigel would swing into action in that case (my post earlier incorrectly said "underestimate" his efficacy instead of overestimate) and at the least muddy the water for many Brexiters. The narrative is simple: he failed.

I think with Nigel against you you are in a corner if you want similar things but Nigel's vision is the purer because the purer the vision the easier the sell. No matter the reality of what's being sold.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

fpt for me

+++
    Byronic said:

+++

I'd rather Fort William in a hoolie than Oxford in a heatwave
    The climate of South Devon beats everywhere else.

Planet-wide.
    North Norfolk in the winter as an arctic low steams down the North Sea
    Late autumn, as Titchwell fills with migrating wildfowl and massive skeins of Pink-foot Geese sail overhead. I could give you that.
    I miss most the cold frosty winters we used to get, mild and wet is really boring.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

If women and girls reported every sexual assault, however minor, to the police, they’d be doing little else from about the age of 12 onwards. And doubtless they’d be criticised for diverting the police from “more important” crimes and/or accused of being hysterical about trivial matters. It is beyond tiresome that women have to - as a matter of routine in pretty much all walks of life - put up with chimpanzee-like behaviour from men of all types. It’d be quite nice if they’d grow up and learn some more civilized mating techniques.

Depressingly, I doubt all these stories will affect peoples’ views of Boris one bit: that he’s a priapic liar is priced in. His opponents are making the same mistake as those thinking that all those IRA stories would harm Corbyn during the last GE. Something more than “Boris is a lech” is needed.

Charlotte Easton (?) could have made these allegations public - or complained to the police - at any point in the last 20 years.

And yet she chooses to make a word-against-word allegation at a time it will draw the most attention and thereby benefit her career the most while potentially damaging the accused the most

Oh, Charles; in the nicest possible manner, genuinely, do grow up! :)

Life is not fair. 20 years ago no-one cared about this stuff. No-one really cared 5 years ago. People like Boris got away with such behaviour because no-one cared, because they had power and women didn’t. So women put up with it. And when they are in a position to get their own back, some of them do.

Of course, it’s not fair. But it’s also not fair for women to have to put up with gross behaviour that would shame any decent man. So if a man doesn’t want journalists bringing up such stories when it is inconvenient or embarrassing perhaps he might try not behaving like a rutting oaf. Just a thought.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Not really, he thinks its an amusing comment on the NI border, whereas the fact the government needs extraordinary measures to prevent attempts to blow them up is not really a joking matter

No it doesn't.
    Yes it would.

Very funny tweet, spot on. Makes its point extremely well.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Anorak said:
    That's so clever!

It's not as though the hotel at the Tory Party conference has ever been targeted by terrorists, is it?
    One, you are missing the point. Two, the Brighton bomb was planted the month before, not walked in on the day.
    Exactly , shows how far the Tories have fallen and the state the country is in.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

Earlier this year I was sat next to a consultant radiologist at a dinner. We had an erudite and far-reaching conversation on cancer treatment.

Then, all of a sudden, she announced she had joined the Conservative Party "in order to vote for Boris". Her enthusiasm for him was positively gushing and almost adolescent. "Giggling" was the nearest adjective I could come up with. A complete transformation from sober professional to star-struck groupie.

This is why the opposition parties have a Johnson problem. "Excitement" is priced in. Sadly. His support is based on him being interesting/funny and delivering Brexit.

I find brexiteer comedian Jethro very funny, but I wouldn't want him for PM. Actually thinking about it, he'd be better than Boris
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Anorak said:
    That's so clever!

Three, it's not as though the Northern Irish border has ever had a problem with terrorism either, is it?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,284
    Brom said:

David Lammy is a good reason why politicians need to stop using twitter and the BBC need to stop pandering to it. Facebook though far from perfect is a better place for politicians to provide a message for voters.

Do you follow Lammy on Facebook?
  • Options
    Tabman said:

Earlier this year I was sat next to a consultant radiologist at a dinner. We had an erudite and far-reaching conversation on cancer treatment.

Then, all of a sudden, she announced she had joined the Conservative Party "in order to vote for Boris". Her enthusiasm for him was positively gushing and almost adolescent. "Giggling" was the nearest adjective I could come up with. A complete transformation from sober professional to star-struck groupie.

This is why the opposition parties have a Johnson problem. "Excitement" is priced in. Sadly. His support is based on him being interesting/funny and delivering Brexit.

The fact of the matter is that Boris oozes sex, and certain men and women can become highly energized by someone with this trait. I suspect Boris's thigh-fondling antics actually work for him more times than not. It's only when he misreads his target that he falls flat on his face, but he'll probably regard that as a mere occupational hazard.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,020
    malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

fpt for me

+++
    Byronic said:

+++

The inner Hebrides, on a fine summer's day, are quite possibly the most beautiful place on God's green earth. Also the food is markedly improved, as it is elsewhere in our fair British islands.

It's just that, for me, there isn't enough of these sunny days; even in relatively sunnier London I get immiserated by the grey.

As ever the ideal would be a mix. A London flat plus a nice little home in the Greek islands would suit me. Plus maybe a botlhole in Thailand. And a ranch in Arizona. I don't ask for much.
    Mrs C and I have discussed this..... being on our own. She'd stay here, here being where we live now. I'd have the cricket season here, the winter in Thailand.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    JackW said:

May I just point out to some frothers down thread the context of Dominic Grieve indicating that the Queen would dismiss Boris.

The Prime Minister had refused to observe the Benn Act, had been taken to the Supreme Court and lost and then refused to accept the judgment, defied the law and refused to resign as Prime Minister.

Why on Earth should the Queen "sack" Boris Johnson when Parliament could VONC him at any time?

If Parliament refuses to VONC Boris then I don't see any reason why the Queen should "remove" him.

Sounds like like the Rabble Alliance are just hoping HMQ will do their job for them...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193

tlg86 said:

Anorak said:
    That's so clever!

Three, it's not as though the Northern Irish border has ever had a problem with terrorism either, is it?
    Well, let's stick a hard border up then.
  • Options
    o/t (not o/t for you Malc) - v funny from the Graun's rugby coverage of Scots vs Samoa:

The ball, clearly already greasy with sweat or fitted with a jack-in-the-box mechanism, pops out of Sean Maitland’s arms, leading to a Samoa penalty. It’s well inside their own half, but at least allows them to leave it.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

Boris has more charisma than the rest of the Commons put together. That is why he commands five figure sums for corporate speeches.
    https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmregmem/190916/johnson_boris.htm

It is why he can shag his way across London and then be forgiven for it. The Conservative Party hopes it is why he will win a snap election.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Why on Earth should the Queen "sack" Boris Johnson when Parliament could VONC him at any time?

If Parliament refuses to VONC Boris then I don't see any reason why the Queen should "remove" him.

Sounds like like the Rabble Alliance are just hoping HMQ will do their job for them...
    Er... suspect HMQ is checking her options for when BoJo refuses to resign after a VoNC.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

fpt for me

+++
    Byronic said:

+++

Male modelling is not THAT lucrative, unfortunately

I may be able to scrape to a little cottage in Pelion, Greece, but that's about it. Mind you. Pelion is sublime

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Er... suspect HMQ is checking her options for when BoJo refuses to resign after a VoNC.
    He doesn't need to resign until the commons votes confidence in a successor
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Oh, Charles; in the nicest possible manner, genuinely, do grow up! :)

Life is not fair. 20 years ago no-one cared about this stuff. No-one really cared 5 years ago. People like Boris got away with such behaviour because no-one cared, because they had power and women didn’t. So women put up with it. And when they are in a position to get their own back, some of them do.

Of course, it’s not fair. But it’s also not fair for women to have to put up with gross behaviour that would shame any decent man. So if a man doesn’t want journalists bringing up such stories when it is inconvenient or embarrassing perhaps he might try not behaving like a rutting oaf. Just a thought.
    And if he did behave inappropriately when societal norms were different, and it's brought up now, apologise. Whether it's twenty or thirty years ago.
  • Options

Tabman said:

Boris has more charisma than the rest of the Commons put together. That is why he commands five figure sums for corporate speeches.

It is why he can shag his way across London and then be forgiven for it. The Conservative Party hopes it is why he will win a snap election.
    Hitler had a lot of charisma apparently.
  • Options

Tabman said:

The fact of the matter is that Boris oozes sex, and certain men and women can become highly energized by someone with this trait. I suspect Boris's thigh-fondling antics actually work for him more times than not. It's only when he misreads his target that he falls flat on his face, but he'll probably regard that as a mere occupational hazard.
    “Oozes sex” - I realise I am not his target audience but he seems to me to have all the sex appeal of a boiled potato in a suit. He also looks as if he doesn’t wash often enough.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Even so, my point still stands.
  • Options
    Mr. W, cheers for that quite significant piece of context.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

“Oozes sex” - I realise I am not his target audience but he seems to me to have all the sex appeal of a boiled potato in a suit. He also looks as if he doesn’t wash often enough.
    Many people are attracted to power.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Quick to wound. But afraid to strike.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Victory for the Tories lies in winning seats far down the list of Labour targets, to make up for the 30 or so MPs they could lose in Scotland and in Remain constituencies in England. For Johnson to win a majority, you have to go about 60 seats down the list of Labour seats that the Tories could win, which is when you get to Easington in the north-east of England.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/09/dominic-cummings-machiavel-downing-street

Easington is 197 on the Labour defence list, it's the 60th safest seat they have. NS are reading the list upside down
    LOL!!

Don't think anyone's suggested Labour will go down to fewer than 60 seats remaining. What's next, in order to gain any seats the Tories need to be winning places like Liverpool Walton?
    Someone should tell the NS that Labour's internal polling (apparently) shows them at risk of losing 100 seats.....
    Yes, but someone should tell Labour's internal pollster's that internal Labour polling showed Norwich South going blue in 2017 (Clive Lewis has a 15k majority and Coral have my fiver).
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

fpt for me

+++
    Byronic said:

+++

Mrs C and I have discussed this..... being on our own. She'd stay here, here being where we live now. I'd have the cricket season here, the winter in Thailand.
    I can see having a few months in the sun during winter being pleasant.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

Tabman said:

"So what first attracted you to millionaire Paul Daniels?"

Each to their own, but I guess the sex appeal comes from proximity to power and influence.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

He will have (up to) 14 days to resecure the confidence of the House or for someone else to get confidence if they can.

Very unlikely the Queen would get involved while this process is going on.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

I'm also minded of the "wardrobe with the key left in the lock" comment.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

Yes I know that. Still doesn’t make up for smelly blubber all over you.

But maybe I’m just being too fussy. :)
  • Options
    Byronic said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

fpt for me

+++
    Byronic said:

+++

Male modelling is not THAT lucrative, unfortunately

I may be able to scrape to a little cottage in Pelion, Greece, but that's about it. Mind you. Pelion is sublime

It does look extremely beautiful.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

LOL!!

Yes, but someone should tell Labour's internal pollster's that internal Labour polling showed Norwich South going blue in 2017 (Clive Lewis has a 15k majority and Coral have my fiver).
    I remember the 'anyone with a majority under 10,000 is very nervous' comments from 'sources'
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

He will have (up to) 14 days to resecure the confidence of the House or for someone else to get confidence if they can.

Very unlikely the Queen would get involved while this process is going on.
    No, but there have been suggestions, not necessarily denied by No. 10, the Boris would still refuse to go. Will of (*) the people and all that.

(* Well, the 37% that actually voted to leave.)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

I suppose for one central and fundamental reason :

The Queen might reasonably expect her Prime Minister to set an outstanding example of probity and not to so flagrantly and dismissively break the law in whose name the law stands.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

Not to mention a proclivity for frequenting blind barbers.
  • Options
    Maggie T was apparently desired by many. I dont see it myself.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

Tabman said:

Each to their own, but I guess the sex appeal comes from proximity to power and influence.
    Boris was at it at Oxford. Power might help but in his case it is not needed.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,006

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

One of the favourite get-out plans for Boris for the past few days was Boris resigns and insists someone else becomes PM.

As we always have a PM I'm at a loss as to how that works if no one else takes the poison chalice that is being PM as an extension is asked for.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    Paging Byronic & Others

The 10 dullest cities in Europe (Sunlight hours)

4 London, England - 1,410
    5 Manchester, England - 1,416
    6 Dublin, Ireland - 1,424

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/mapped-the-sunniest-and-dullest-cities-in-europe/
  • Options
    Tabman said:

Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

Wasn’t that said of Sir Nicholas Soames?

Anyway give me a scented rose over a smelly man any day of the week. Boris is the bindweed of politics. No matter what you he keeps coming back.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    kinabalu said:

Brom said:

David Lammy is a good reason why politicians need to stop using twitter and the BBC need to stop pandering to it. Facebook though far from perfect is a better place for politicians to provide a message for voters.

Do you follow Lammy on Facebook?
    why would anyone waste their time doing that?
  • Options
    Tabman said:

Tabman said:

He may be a ruthless sh1t, but Bors is also genuinely funny. You can charm a girl into bed with laughter. Add that to the power, money and influence, and there you go.
  • Options
    eek said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

One of the favourite get-out plans for Boris for the past few days was Boris resigns and insists someone else becomes PM.

As we always have a PM I'm at a loss as to how that works if no one else takes the poison chalice that is being PM as an extension is asked for.
    If he resigns he resigns. In the absence of a successor the reserved powers revert to HMQ, liz would have to send it. Hence she will 'insist' the LOTO attempt to form a government and if it's no confidenced, elections
  • Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

I suppose for one central and fundamental reason :

The Queen might reasonably expect her Prime Minister to set an outstanding example of probity and not to so flagrantly and dismissively break the law in whose name the law stands.

I think there's a lot of wishful thinking going on here Lord W. ;)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

more your type ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/president-hollandes-relationship-with-julie-gayet-goes-back-more-than-two-years-9066489.html
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

Not to mention a proclivity for frequenting blind barbers.
    And looking as if he gets dressed by walking into a wardrobe with glue on his body.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Tabman said:

Tabman said:

Boris was at it at Oxford. Power might help but in his case it is not needed.
    At Oxford he was an "it" boy - posh*, well connected and seeking the Oxford version of power (President of the Union Society). I saw it's reflection at Cambridge.

It maybe just the photos we see from the time, but he also appeared more svelte and better-dressed and coiffed than currently. Which is not unusual in a male between the ages of 20 and 55.

*-in simulacrum form
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Paging Byronic & Others

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/mapped-the-sunniest-and-dullest-cities-in-europe/

Those figures for London look suspect. 1,632 hours according to the Met Office.
  • Options
    I'm nor sure the comments on Boris physical appearance would be quite so acceptable if they were about Jo Swinson or another frontline female politician
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

Politics is showbusiness for ugly people.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    These parody accounts are just getting ludicrous.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

more your type ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/president-hollandes-relationship-with-julie-gayet-goes-back-more-than-two-years-9066489.html
    Nope.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Male modelling is not THAT lucrative, unfortunately. I may be able to scrape to a little cottage in Pelion, Greece, but that's about it. Mind you. Pelion is sublime

I'll take your word for it. It's just that my freedom to live and work in other countries will soon be somewhat constrained... :(
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Tabman said:

Tabman said:

He may be a ruthless sh1t, but Bors is also genuinely funny. You can charm a girl into bed with laughter. Add that to the power, money and influence, and there you go.
    Ah. That'll explain my Millions of Women Weren't Waiting To Meet Me.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Byronic said:

Plus maybe a botlhole in Thailand.

Careful, now. We all know who else liked Thailand.
    Gary Glitter?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Paging Byronic & Others

That is a nonsensical list. London obviously gets more sun than Manchester or Dublin!

EDIT: after some Googling, it looks like these stats are unreliable (perhaps old). There is no hard and fast answer, but it looks like London gets 1500-1600 hours of sun a year with Manchester and Dublin about 1300-1400.

Not as a big a difference as I expected, TBH
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Byronic said:

Gary Glitter?
    He was a Vietnam kind of paedo
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,639
    edited September 2019

I'm nor sure the comments on Boris physical appearance would be quite so acceptable if they were about Jo Swinson or another frontline female politician

Do keep up.

Women are by definition not sexist, and men are by definition not allowed to be victims ;-) .
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    In the same way that a pig can orgasm for thirty minutes continuously, I experienced reflux from start to finish when digesting that tweet.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

Wasn’t that said of Sir Nicholas Soames?

Anyway give me a scented rose over a smelly man any day of the week. Boris is the bindweed of politics. No matter what you he keeps coming back.
    It was indeed, but I think may also be applicable more widely (if you'll pardon the pun). I'm sure there's a joke there about roses, men and small pricks, but I can't think of one. Perhaps @Byronic will oblige.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941

Pulpstar said:

Paging Byronic & Others

Those figures for London look suspect. 1,632 hours according to the Met Office.
    I'll be submitting a reading for the solar today, will be able to work out average irradiance back calculating from that
  • Options
    MattW said:

Do keep up.

Women are by definition not sexist, and men are by definition not allowed to be victims ;-) .
    I stand corrected!
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Byronic said:

Gary Glitter?
    He was a Vietnam kind of paedo
    There are some nice places in Thailand without necessarily getting mixed up in 'that sort of thing'!
  • Options

Oh I am quite prepared to criticise a woman’s looks as well.

Jo’s earrings are a little distracting. And her teeth are a bit gummy. She should do something about her hair. But generally she looks fine.

Nicola Sturgeon always looks very well-groomed.

Most people in public life are appallingly dressed and groomed. Why? It doesn’t take much effort and mirrors are not that expensive. It's not as if many of them are obviously spending the time saved on improving their intellects.

And now, having been rude about everyone on an equal opportunities basis, I must be off.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

Would not appear to me to be the most obvious sex symbol, which makes me think he must be a fantastic salesman/negotiator. How else does he manage to attract so many women?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Theresa May wasn't forced. She voluntarily suggested, called a vote for, and then voted for an extension.
    Her attorney general advised it would have been unlawful for her not to extend against the expressed wishes of parliament. Not all PMs are as willing to break the law as our current charlatan, in her mind she was forced.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Paging Byronic & Others

Sadly the Telegraph have blundered by using data from an unreliable source. The maps from the Met Office tell a different story.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

No it doesn't.
    Yes it would.

Very funny tweet, spot on. Makes its point extremely well.
    No it doesn't, since there's no plans to put infrastructure on the border, there's nothing to blow up! What are they going to blow up if there's no infrastructure to attack?
  • Options
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

Would not appear to me to be the most obvious sex symbol, which makes me think he must be a fantastic salesman/negotiator. How else does he manage to attract so many women?
    Give Trump a run for his money?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Jo’s earrings are a little distracting. And her teeth are a bit gummy. She should do something about her hair. But generally she looks fine.

Most people in public life are appallingly dressed and groomed. Why? It doesn’t take much effort and mirrors are not that expensive. It's not as if many of them are obviously spending the time saved on improving their intellects.

And now, having been rude about everyone on an equal opportunities basis, I must be off.
    Clearly you're not prepared to criticise women as well, because you've only been mildly nasty to Jo and positively pleasant to Sturgeon, while describing Boris as being "smelly blubber", which is pretty fucking offensive, by any double standard.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,284
    Cyclefree said:

Oozes sex was the comment not sex APPEAL.

Which he probably does. After all, as you point out, he does not appear to wash.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Paging Byronic & Others

Sadly the Telegraph have blundered by using data from an unreliable source. The maps from the Met Office tell a different story.
    Yes, that's much more sensible. There's a little pocket around Eastbourne which gets 1900 hours of sun a year - almost Mediterranean. Meanwhile, parts of western Scotland get under 900 hours a year, which is on a par, for bleakness, with southwestern Alaska.
  • Options
    timpletimple Posts: 118

Whilst Mike makes a good point, the converse is that the Conservative support is (for now at least) more solid and less divided than that of the opposition parties, simply because of the concentration and enthusiasm of the pro-Brexit vote.

Whether this will persist beyond the 31st October depends a lot on what happens in the next few weeks. If we crash out with No Deal, support for the Tories will dissipate rapidly as the naive optimism about crash-out bumps into reality. If there is an extension, then everything will depend on how well Boris manages to finesse away his breaking of the 'do-or-die' pledge and blame it on the big boys being nasty to him, but I am sure there will be some hit to his support.

Of course, if he somehow manages to make Houdini look like a bumbling amateur at escapology by leaving with a deal on October 31st, then he will win a massive majority and deservedly so. The main problem with pinning your hopes on this is that the opposition parties aren't completely stupid. The second problem is that there isn't enough time.

And having secured a large majority - backing will dissipate quickly once the public realises the WA was just the appetiser and more hard choices will be needed as future relationship is sorted (YOU SAID BREXIT WOULD BE DONE! WTF?) . But Boris won't care. He will have his majority.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Clearly you're not prepared to criticise women as well, because you've only been mildly nasty to Jo and positively pleasant to Sturgeon, while describing Boris as being "smelly blubber", which is pretty fucking offensive, by any double standard.
    Yeah! Right on. Let's march.
This discussion has been closed.