Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    viewcode said:

Doesn't it make you pause and think that everyone here saying that post-October 31 would be fatal is a remainer who wishes it to be fatal?.

It's not just the earnest desirings of diehard Remainers, Philip. There's speculative polling [I know] that says Boris wins big if he delivers by October 31st, but loses if he doesn't.

My opinion on speculative polling it they're not worth the paper its printed on.

But I think much depends entirely on why we extend, if we do, and who is blamed.

Theresa May was rightly blamed for an extension as she chose to extend. Someone claimed early she was forced to extend but that's not true, there was a free vote in Parliament rather than whipping against extension, and she on a free vote chose to extend and then promptly went to Europe and requested and agreed the extension, twice.

Boris voted against extension then and is whipping against it now. The speculative polling could be speculating that he choose to extend like May did, but if it happens despite rather than because of his best efforts its hard to argue with that.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Not really, he thinks its an amusing comment on the NI border, whereas the fact the government needs extraordinary measures to prevent attempts to blow them up is not really a joking matter

The NI border needs extraordinary measures to prevent attempts to blow them up

That's the point. You missed it. Again.
    No it doesn't.
    Yes it would.

Very funny tweet, spot on. Makes its point extremely well.
    No it doesn't, since there's no plans to put infrastructure on the border, there's nothing to blow up! What are they going to blow up if there's no infrastructure to attack?
    It would = infrastructure.

Which is why that tweet is so funny.

But look if you don't get it that's cool.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Doesn't it make you pause and think that everyone here saying that post-October 31 would be fatal is a remainer who wishes it to be fatal?.

It's not just the earnest desirings of diehard Remainers, Philip. There's speculative polling [I know] that says Boris wins big if he delivers by October 31st, but loses if he doesn't.

My opinion on speculative polling it they're not worth the paper its printed on.

But I think much depends entirely on why we extend, if we do, and who is blamed.

Theresa May was rightly blamed for an extension as she chose to extend. Someone claimed early she was forced to extend but that's not true, there was a free vote in Parliament rather than whipping against extension, and she on a free vote chose to extend and then promptly went to Europe and requested and agreed the extension, twice.

Boris voted against extension then and is whipping against it now. The speculative polling could be speculating that he choose to extend like May did, but if it happens despite rather than because of his best efforts its hard to argue with that.
    "Do or die" doesn't lend itself to nuance or degrees of interpretation.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    https://twitter.com/heidiallen75/status/1178627197587906561?s=19

Why? So you can invent a law that makes it illegal?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,688
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

Earlier this year I was sat next to a consultant radiologist at a dinner. We had an erudite and far-reaching conversation on cancer treatment.

ation from sober professional to star-struck groupie.

This is why the opposition parties have a Johnson problem. "Excitement" is priced in. Sadly. His support is based on him being interesting/funny and delivering Brexit.

The fact of the matter is that Boris oozes sex, and certain men and women can become highly energized by someone with this trait. I suspect Boris's thigh-fondling antics actually work for him more times than not. It's only when he misreads his target that he falls flat on his face, but he'll probably regard that as a mere occupational hazard.
    “Oozes sex” - I realise I am not his target audience but he seems to me to have all the sex appeal of a boiled potato in a suit. He also looks as if he doesn’t wash often enough.
    Would not appear to me to be the most obvious sex symbol, which makes me think he must be a fantastic salesman/negotiator. How else does he manage to attract so many women?
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

Earlier this year I was sat next to a consultant radiologist at a dinner. We had an erudite and far-reaching conversation on cancer treatment.

Then, all of a sudden, she announced she had joined the Conservative Party "in order to vote for Boris". Her enthusiasm for him was positively gushing and almost adolescent. "Giggling" was the nearest adjective I could come up with. A complete transformation from sober professional to star-struck groupie.

This is why the opposition parties have a Johnson problem. "Excitement" is priced in. Sadly. His support is based on him being interesting/funny and delivering Brexit.

The fact of the matter is that Boris oozes sex, and certain men and women can become highly energized by someone with this trait. I suspect Boris's thigh-fondling antics actually work for him more times than not. It's only when he misreads his target that he falls flat on his face, but he'll probably regard that as a mere occupational hazard.
    “Oozes sex” - I realise I am not his target audience but he seems to me to have all the sex appeal of a boiled potato in a suit. He also looks as if he doesn’t wash often enough.
    Would not appear to me to be the most obvious sex symbol, which makes me think he must be a fantastic salesman/negotiator. How else does he manage to attract so many women?
    I think something along the lines of 'what first attracted you to your millionaire partner' might be relevant.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,395

Hitler had a lot of charisma apparently.

In buckets. He also had slovenly personal habits and did not wish to work closely with his European neighbours. The list goes on.

BTW the Queen has sacked an Australian PM so I would imagine a British one would be no problem at all.
  • Options

Pesky laws, eh?
  • Options

Theresa May wasn't forced. She voluntarily suggested, called a vote for, and then voted for an extension.

Her attorney general advised it would have been unlawful for her not to extend against the expressed wishes of parliament. Not all PMs are as willing to break the law as our current charlatan, in her mind she was forced.
    But the express wishes of Parliament were her wishes.

When Parliament voted to extend Article 50 she was a part of the majority who voted in favour, she went into the Aye lobby to request an extension: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/mar/12/how-did-your-mp-vote-in-the-march-brexit-votes

To request an extension was vote 8 on that list, all the MPs who voted Aye to that are green in column 8 including one Theresa May (Maidenhead).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Not really, he thinks its an amusing comment on the NI border, whereas the fact the government needs extraordinary measures to prevent attempts to blow them up is not really a joking matter

No it doesn't.
    Yes it would.

No it doesn't, since there's no plans to put infrastructure on the border, there's nothing to blow up! What are they going to blow up if there's no infrastructure to attack?

No infrastructure, nothing to bomb.

You keep pretending there will be infrastructure.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    This is a splendid Wiki entry which gives conclusive data on sunshine hours.

London gets 1633 hours a year, which is better than Dublin or Manchester but still pretty bleak by global standards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_sunshine_duration

indeed Europe in general is strikingly sunless. Even cities which we regard as being pleasant and sunny, weatherwise, do badly. e.g. Paris gets just 1662 hours, which would make it in one of the dullest cities in all of Asia. Africa or the Americas.

Yes, I have a geeky interest in this subject.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

No it doesn't.
    Yes it would.

Leavers seem to struggle with humour. Not their fault I guess.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

No it doesn't.
    Yes it would.

Nobodys worried about borders when you can just kidnap and torture the locals

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/person-who-paid-lunney-torture-gang-must-be-brought-to-heel-quinn-director-1.4028157

your old patch I think
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

No it doesn't.
    Yes it would.

No infrastructure, nothing to bomb.

You keep pretending there will be infrastructure.
    I have no idea if there will be infrastructure. If there can be none that is of course fantastic. If all the requisite checks can be done with no regulatory alignment and no hard border that would be great.

In much the same way that if they could somehow check people going into the Conservative Party conference without fuck off big steel gates, that would also be fantastic.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017
    edited September 2019
    kjh said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

ation from sober professional to star-struck groupie.

The fact of the matter is thatrd.
    often enough.
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

Then, all of a sudden, she announced she had joined the Conservative Party "in order to vote for Boris". Her enthusiasm for him was positively gushing and almost adolescent. "Giggling" was the nearest adjective I could come up with. A complete transformation from sober professional to star-struck groupie.

I think something along the lines of 'what first attracted you to your millionaire partner' might be relevant.
    I don’t think so. The women Boris dates/snogs/Marries weren’t cleaning toilets for £6ph before he met them. I’d say they have their choice of millionaires in the circles in which they mix. Thrice married Jeremy Corbyn obviously has something too, and Farage. None of them ostensibly attractive to my eye, but all attract many women... and at the top of the tree in their chosen career. I’d say it’s because they are beguiling characters
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    In the same way that a pig can orgasm for thirty minutes continuously, I experienced reflux from start to finish when digesting that tweet.
    She seems to be slightly unusual anatomically. Or is "thigh" a common euphemism for vulva that I am unaware of?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pesky laws, eh?
    When parliament starts trying to act as the executive it's time to peg them back.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,304
    If “spaffed” is not synonymous with “ejaculated”, as Boris implies, what does it mean then?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    JackW said:

May I just point out to some frothers down thread the context of Dominic Grieve indicating that the Queen would dismiss Boris.

The Prime Minister had refused to observe the Benn Act, had been taken to the Supreme Court and lost and then refused to accept the judgment, defied the law and refused to resign as Prime Minister.

What would the electorate make of a House of Commons that got to that point and then required HM the Queen to do its work for them? This is not going to happen.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017
    edited September 2019
    What do the following women have in common?

Marlene Dietrich
    Marilyn Monroe
    Brigitte Bardot
    Doris Day
    Billie Jean
    Samantha Fox
    Joan Collins
    Kiki Dee
    Katharine Hepburn
    Vivian Leigh
    Grace Jones
    Priscilla Presley
    Vanessa Williams
    Dusty Springfield
    Nancy Reagan
    Rita Hayworth
    Petula Clark
    Julie Andrews
    Superwoman
    Annie Lennox
    Mata Hari
    Anouska Hempel
    Shirley Temple
    Tallulah Bankhead
    Linda Lovelace
    Little Eva
    Natassia Kinski
    Princess Caroline of Monaco
    Miss Pat Verness
    Elsie Tanner
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

No it doesn't.
    Yes it would.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/person-who-paid-lunney-torture-gang-must-be-brought-to-heel-quinn-director-1.4028157

your old patch I think
    Not a million miles away Alan.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    In the same way that a pig can orgasm for thirty minutes continuously, I experienced reflux from start to finish when digesting that tweet.
    What did you, a right wing egotistical self publicist, first find attractive about the (now) right wing egotistical self-publicist Boris Johnson?
  • Options
    Surprising how much of a pimply adolescent Boris looked at Oxford, even when we was dating Allegra, the most beautiful female undergraduate of that intake.

https://ta-images.condecdn.net/image/N5xVqAA6Lqa/crop/1800/f/hires-homepage-allegra-and-boris-johnson-dafydd-joenes.jpg
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pesky laws, eh?
    When parliament starts trying to act as the executive it's time to peg them back.
    I'm sure constitutional lawyers can more readily pick holes in such a proposition.

In the meantime the public have delivered a parliament which can make such decisions.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

Give Trump a run for his money?
    The last word says it all.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

If “spaffed” is not synonymous with “ejaculated”, as Boris implies, what does it mean then?

It is synonymous with ejaculation, but it's also a turn of phrase implying waste. Amazing how woke and prurient the media become when it fits the narrative. If I refer to throwing the baby out with the bathwater I'm not endorsing abandoning children.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Pesky laws, eh?
    I'm sure constitutional lawyers can more readily pick holes in such a proposition.

In the meantime the public have delivered a parliament which can make such decisions.
    The point is parliaments job is to review the outcome of Brexit negotiations, not seek to direct them. They are not the executive and have none of the prerogative powers of the executive
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

No it doesn't.
    Yes it would.

your old patch I think
    Not a million miles away Alan.
    quite vicious attack, broke his leg, pulled out nails smacked him about and used acid. No coverage as far as I can see in mainsteam UK media even though he was kidnapped on UK side of the border.

And then some politican will appear talking about the peace.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

viewcode said:

"Do or die" doesn't lend itself to nuance or degrees of interpretation.
    No. And "Parliament ate my homework" is not hugely convincing as an excuse.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

It is synonymous with ejaculation, but it's also a turn of phrase implying waste. Amazing how woke and prurient the media become when it fits the narrative. If I refer to throwing the baby out with the bathwater I'm not endorsing abandoning children.
    In the context of child sexual abuse perhaps another metaphor or simile would have been more appropriate? That’s not prurient surely? Even “pissed up the wall”, while offensive, would have been more acceptable
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    Scott_P said:
    Did buses have oyster in 2003? Not sure, but it may have been on the tube first.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    edited September 2019
    Absolutely astonished that OGH takes a dataset from the Ashcroft sample that includes Labour Remainers who will never vote for Boris and completely ignores the figures for Labour Leave voters who back Boris as best PM over Corbyn by 42% to 23% and only 30% of whom say they will definitely vote Labour at the next general election.

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/09/state-of-the-nation-my-new-polling-on-the-political-landscape-and-the-battle-lines-for-the-next-election/

Those are great numbers for Tory candidates targeting Labour Leave seats and terrible news for Corbyn Labour
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

In the context of child sexual abuse perhaps another metaphor or simile would have been more appropriate? That’s not prurient surely? Even “pissed up the wall”, while offensive, would have been more acceptable
    is bollocks ok ?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

is bollocks ok ?
    Not a verb. “The money was bolloxed up the wall”
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Probably, but it's not really a huge deal imo. They are trying to make it so
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

In the same way that a pig can orgasm for thirty minutes continuously

Does that perhaps explain his luck with the ladies then?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Says Justine Greening who hates Boris and hates Brexit and voted against the Withdrawal Agreement and No Deal and is basically a LD
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    algarkirk said:

JackW said:

May I just point out to some frothers down thread the context of Dominic Grieve indicating that the Queen would dismiss Boris.

The Prime Minister had refused to observe the Benn Act, had been taken to the Supreme Court and lost and then refused to accept the judgment, defied the law and refused to resign as Prime Minister.

What would the electorate make of a House of Commons that got to that point and then required HM the Queen to do its work for them? This is not going to happen.

Parliament has passed a law. The PM must obey the law. Law makers cannot be law breakers.

In the context I noted it would have been Boris who placed the Queen in the position to dismiss him. I would imagine the Attorney General would have resigned because of Boris's actions.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Absolutely astonished that OGH takes a dataset from the Ashcroft sample that includes Labour Remainers who will never vote for Boris and completely ignores the figures for Labour Leave voters who back Boris as best PM over Corbyn by 42% to 23% and only 30% of whom say they will definitely vote Labour at the next general election.

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/09/state-of-the-nation-my-new-polling-on-the-political-landscape-and-the-battle-lines-for-the-next-election/

Those are great numbers for Tory candidates targeting Labour Leave seats and terrible news for Corbyn Labour

How many such seats that have never been Tory before do you expect to go to the Boris Johnson Party?
  • Options
    Is there a special lagershed today that I somehow missed this morning?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pesky laws, eh?
    You can’t. The executive is subordinate to Parliament, which is sovereign, and can make whatever laws it likes (theoretically).
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    It's the Brett Kavanaugh confirmation hearings all over again, isn't it?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    Did buses have oyster in 2003? Not sure, but it may have been on the tube first.
    Would guess he means contactless bank cards, rather than Oyster - that was in 2012-4.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Says Justine Greening who hates Boris and hates Brexit and voted against the Withdrawal Agreement and No Deal and is basically a LD
    Yeah. I bet she also voted remain. Once a remainer, you know, always a remainer.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1178632848737218561

Could be running the country within weeks.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

Pesky laws, eh?
    You can’t. The executive is subordinate to Parliament, which is sovereign, and can make whatever laws it likes (theoretically).
    I'm referring to the sovereign electorate pegging them back
  • Options

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

Pesky laws, eh?
    What are you talking about?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,016

In the same way that a pig can orgasm for thirty minutes continuously

Does that perhaps explain his luck with the ladies then?
    I don't think the sex of the porcine in question has been vouchsafed to us.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

Pesky laws, eh?
    That parliament is overstepping and at the forthcoming election the actual sovereign power in the UK, the electorate, are likely to make their feelings about it clear
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Yeah. I bet she also voted remain. Once a remainer, you know, always a remainer.
    Do you mean a remainer-traitor? aka a traitor-to-Boris?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Boris is completely right, and "Steve Anglesey" is a tit

"Contactless payments were first launched on London's buses in December 2012. TfL (Transport for London) states that each day there are around 69,000 payments made using contactless on London Buses."

Next.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

Pesky laws, eh?
    No such thing mate.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-49872545

So, did any of our fellow named pb’ers go?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

Pesky laws, eh?
    I’ve heard the phrase a lot but so far as I am aware the electorate isn’t sovereign. Parliament can, after all, decide who is an elector. If you mean there should be a GE, just say so, but unfortunately the executive agreed to surrender the timing of the same to Parliament.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

Pesky laws, eh?
    That parliament is overstepping and at the forthcoming election the actual sovereign power in the UK, the electorate, are likely to make their feelings about it clear
    Maybe maybe not. But we currently have the parliament we have.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Do you mean a remainer-traitor? aka a traitor-to-Boris?
    None other.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,903
    Byronic said:

This is a splendid Wiki entry which gives conclusive data on sunshine hours.

London gets 1633 hours a year, which is better than Dublin or Manchester but still pretty bleak by global standards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_sunshine_duration

indeed Europe in general is strikingly sunless. Even cities which we regard as being pleasant and sunny, weatherwise, do badly. e.g. Paris gets just 1662 hours, which would make it in one of the dullest cities in all of Asia. Africa or the Americas.

Yes, I have a geeky interest in this subject.

Solar power advocate, I take it ?
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Finally some academic backup for my personal observation that working class people I know are not especially Brexity.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/brexit-and-the-squeezed-middle/

Unskilled working class DE voters voted for Brexit in 2016 they also voted for Corbyn Labour in 2017, it was skilled working class C2 voters who voted the most strongly for both Brexit as the link shows and the Tories in 2017
  • Options
    isam said:

kjh said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

groupie.

interesting/funny and delivering Brexit.

The fact of the matter is thatrd.
    often enough.
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Tabman said:

I don’t think so. The women Boris dates/snogs/Marries weren’t cleaning toilets for £6ph before he met them. I’d say they have their choice of millionaires in the circles in which they mix. Thrice married Jeremy Corbyn obviously has something too, and Farage. None of them ostensibly attractive to my eye, but all attract many women... and at the top of the tree in their chosen career. I’d say it’s because they are beguiling characters
    It was just an opportunity to crack the old joke. I would agree with you.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Finally some academic backup for my personal observation that working class people I know are not especially Brexity.

Unskilled working class DE voters voted for Brexit in 2016 they also voted for Corbyn Labour in 2017, it was skilled working class C2 voters who voted for both Brexit and the Tories in 2017
    What demographic voted remain (2016) and then Conservative (2017)?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Unskilled working class DE voters voted for Brexit in 2016 they also voted for Corbyn Labour in 2017, it was skilled working class C2 voters who voted for both Brexit and the Tories in 2017
    Upper middle class ABs, the demographic the LDs now poll most strongly in, though the Tories still lead Labour with ABs
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I'm nor sure the comments on Boris physical appearance would be quite so acceptable if they were about Jo Swinson or another frontline female politician

Oh I am quite prepared to criticise a woman’s looks as well.

Jo’s earrings are a little distracting. And her teeth are a bit gummy. She should do something about her hair. But generally she looks fine.

Nicola Sturgeon always looks very well-groomed.

Most people in public life are appallingly dressed and groomed. Why? It doesn’t take much effort and mirrors are not that expensive. It's not as if many of them are obviously spending the time saved on improving their intellects.

And now, having been rude about everyone on an equal opportunities basis, I must be off.
    Bourgeois nonsense. If the Sturge practised what she preached on the environment she would have a smaller wardrobe and have kept her waistline in better check. Effort in appearance is all fakery. I take it you're not a big fan of Houellebecq?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,061
    isam said:

If I recall correctly, you're an estate agent (or have I mixed you up with someone else? Apols if I have). Given that, I assume you're familiar with the concept of "trading up".

Boris is charming, fun, reasonably intelligent, famous and very wealthy. Which is why he is so good at courtship. He is out of shape, but not so much (yet!) as to become repulsive. However he does have serious personality problems (see previous posts) which is why all his relationships have ended badly and his previous partners do not speak well of him. It is possible that Boris will be lonely in old age.

Conversely, Farage is not attractive and while not actually repulsive he is in the category of men who are not the first choice physically. However he has fewer personality problems and better personal characteristics, which is why his relationships are longer and has fewer regretful ex-partners. Provided you're willing to overlook his poorer looks and you share his prejudices, Farage is the better bet.

• Options

HYUFD said:

How many such seats that have never been Tory before do you expect to go to the Boris Johnson Party?
    Of the top 50 Tory target seats held by Labour most voted for either Thatcher, Major or Cameron
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Upper middle class ABs, the demographic the LDs now poll most strongly in
    And are you, as an upper middle class AB, thinking of joining the LDs?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

"Contactless payments were first launched on London's buses in December 2012. TfL (Transport for London) states that each day there are around 69,000 payments made using contactless on London Buses."

Next.
    The confusion is because if your interpretation is correct he is calling contactless bank cards Oyster. Oyster is differnet and was around for a lot longer.

I think he is probably just using confused terminology but given his nature cant blame a cynic for assuming he is trying to grab the plaudits for both contactless and Oyster.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

Next.
    Next, you're wrong.

Oyster Cards were introduced in buses in 2004. Contactless debit and credit cards as an alternative to Oyster in 2012.
  • Options
    Is there any chance that Boris is playing this straight? That is he doesn't have a cunning plan to avoid the Benn bill and isn't being an idiot by pretending he has, but simply wants to give the message to Europe that he will leave with no deal (even though he can't) so appears to the EU of putting himself in the position that he claims the Benn bill has ruined for him of threatening the EU with a no deal.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

Next.
    The confusion is because if your interpretation is correct he is calling contactless bank cards Oyster. Oyster is differnet and was around for a lot longer.

I think he is probably just using confused terminology but given his nature cant blame a cynic for assuming he is trying to grab the plaudits for both contactless and Oyster.
    Plus he cut short his aides' briefing on using the tube.
  • Options
    That Boris Johnson "oyster card" tweet, so eagerly repeated by the slavish Scott P, is an intriguing example of social media fake news.

It is almost completely wrong. Boris is clearly referring to contactless cards (while explaining to the interviewer that = oyster cards). Boris is entirely right that he oversaw their introduction from 2012 on.

Yet this provably erroneous tweet claiming that he lied, already has 2k likes and endless retweets: it has gone viral. And thus a new meme enters the political sphere, spun from falsehoods.

Both sides do it.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

Pesky laws, eh?
    I’ve heard the phrase a lot but so far as I am aware the electorate isn’t sovereign. Parliament can, after all, decide who is an elector. If you mean there should be a GE, just say so, but unfortunately the executive agreed to surrender the timing of the same to Parliament.
    @dyedwoolie is correct.

When parliament is dissolved sovereignty is placed back to the electorate who then determine the composition of the following sovereign parliament.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,432
    Hmm... struggling to find time to read the thread but doesn’t current polling indicate 50-60 Labour losses to the Tories? Mike may well be right that Brexit is not even the principal driver of this but the Tories will be perfectly happy if it is anti-semetism, an apparent desire to appropriate private property, the apparent intention of removing almost all immigration controls, spending policies that make the Boris/Sajid splurge look fiscally conservative, whatever. There are lots and lots of good reasons not to vote Labour, whatever your view of Brexit.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

That Boris Johnson "oyster card" tweet, so eagerly repeated by the slavish Scott P, is an intriguing example of social media fake news.

It is almost completely wrong. Boris is clearly referring to contactless cards (while explaining to the interviewer that = oyster cards). Boris is entirely right that he oversaw their introduction from 2012 on.

Yet this provably erroneous tweet claiming that he lied, already has 2k likes and endless retweets: it has gone viral. And thus a new meme enters the political sphere, spun from falsehoods.

Both sides do it.

It was clueless (confusing Oyster cards with contactless credit/debit cards). Not a lie. But then as an ex mayor of London how's he expected to know that stuff?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Of course not, however it is true that both the Tories under Boris and GOP under Trump get their biggest support from lower middle class and skilled working class voters, lead more narrowly with upper middle class voters and still trail Labour and the Democrats with poor and unskilled working class voters
  • Options
    kjh said:

Is there any chance that Boris is playing this straight? That is he doesn't have a cunning plan to avoid the Benn bill and isn't being an idiot by pretending he has, but simply wants to give the message to Europe that he will leave with no deal (even though he can't) so appears to the EU of putting himself in the position that he claims the Benn bill has ruined for him of threatening the EU with a no deal.

I wouldn't refer to a big old bluff like that as "playing it straight" but yeah, that's probably part of what he's doing.

The other part would be that he's committed to the deadline, and can't think of a good way to back down, so he's just sticking with the previous message and hoping something lucky happens.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,694
    edited September 2019
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

One rarely commented upon aspect of this is that it will tend to drag the LDs to the libertarian and fiscally conservative right, and away from the social democrat left over time. Just as the Conservatives move into the economically and culturally conservative space; the LDs will move into the equivalent liberal space.

I suspect they’ll become much more like the Free Democrats in Germany.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

Next.
    Next, you're wrong.

Oyster Cards were introduced in buses in 2004. Contactless debit and credit cards as an alternative to Oyster in 2012.
    No, he obviously means contactless, and says that, but for the better understanding of the interviewer he contextualises it as meaning Oyster.

Only someone utterly determined to hate him and disbelieve him could interpret it any other way. However, he has lots of people who DO hate him and disbelieve him, even when he is right, so I guess he just has to live with the political weather he helped to create.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Of course not
    So something wrong with the polling?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    IIRC it was Oyster on the Tube, then bus, and much later national rail stations. Then contactless card support (credit and debit) was added. Then things like Google Pay and Apple Pay (officially so it was integrated into the online TfL services, rather than it just happened to work). About that time weekly and daily capping came in too.

So there has never been a date when you could say the job of supporting "contactless payments on TfL" was done. Some of the progress took place on BoJo's watch, how much credit he deserves for that is up to others to judge. FWIW I think almost all of this would have happened irrespective of who was the Mayor at the time.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,042
    HYUFD said:

So the people most likely to vote for Boris in 2019 are those who will be worst hit by a No Deal Brexit.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT - on Boris’s wandering hands (allegedly):-

If women and girls reported every sexual assault, however minor, to the police, they’d be doing little else from about the age of 12 onwards. And doubtless they’d be criticised for diverting the police from “more important” crimes and/or accused of being hysterical about trivial matters. It is beyond tiresome that women have to - as a matter of routine in pretty much all walks of life - put up with chimpanzee-like behaviour from men of all types. It’d be quite nice if they’d grow up and learn some more civilized mating techniques.

Depressingly, I doubt all these stories will affect peoples’ views of Boris one bit: that he’s a priapic liar is priced in. His opponents are making the same mistake as those thinking that all those IRA stories would harm Corbyn during the last GE. Something more than “Boris is a lech” is needed.

While I agree with that, it is troubling that we have an asymmetric situation

Charlotte Easton (?) could have made these allegations public - or complained to the police - at any point in the last 20 years.

She could have done so during the #metoo campaign a couple of years ago

And yet she chooses to make a word-against-word allegation at a time it will draw the most attention and thereby benefit her career the most while potentially damaging the accused the most

That doesn’t seem equitable to me.
    She can want to have done those things in your penultimate paragraph without detracting from the significance of the event.

A (bad) analogy would be if people were talking about, say, the amount of sunlight in one or other european capitals and you said that every time you had been to Paris it had been raining. You wouldn't have said that during any other conversation but it was relevant and of interest to people at that moment.
    That's what I was trying to express in that I agree with @Cyclefree

I'm not detracting from the seriousness of the allegation itself.

But I am troubled by the asymmetry of the impact - I'm broadly supportive of anonymity until charged in legal proceedings. Here she just wrote the comment in an article in a magazine knowing it would be picked up.
  • Options
    Whilst it’s probably rarer for a man I can confirm that having one’s bottom pinched is not unique to the female gender.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

One rarely commented upon aspect of this is that it will tend to drag the LDs to the libertarian and fiscally conservative right, and away from the social democrat left over time. Just as the Conservatives move into the economically and culturally conservative space; the LDs will move into the equivalent liberal space.

I think this is right and as we have seen with Philip Lee it can cause problems.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Both sides do it.

It's hardly the worst thing he's ever done, and it may well be an honest error, but it isn't true that he introduced Oyster Cards on buses. As explained below, debit and credit cards in 2012, but Oyster contactless cards in 2004, pre-Boris.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I don’t understand the BBC judgment on this.
    The BBC were quite clear that it was correct to describe Trump’s words as racist. As Trump describes himself as the least racists person ever, the only possible conclusion is that he used them for political effect.

Disciplined for a logical syllogism.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Noo said:

Charles said:

while potentially damaging the accused the most

If the allegation is true, good. We shouldn't worry about what's most convenient for the guilty.
    And if the allegation is false - I don't know - then Boris has been unfairly damaged by it.

Due process exists for a reason
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,050
    edited September 2019
    The fact that the UK is no longer measles free is one of the clearest examples of how irrationality is making a comeback in western societies, probably thanks to social media.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

I believe the social liberals are already worrying about this.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,016
    Andy_JS said:

The fact that the UK is no longer measles free is one of the clearest examples of how irrationality is making a comeback in western societies.

Hear. hear. It is utterly shocking.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139
    Pulpstar said:

Paging Byronic & Others

The 10 dullest cities in Europe (Sunlight hours)

4 London, England - 1,410
    5 Manchester, England - 1,416
    6 Dublin, Ireland - 1,424

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/mapped-the-sunniest-and-dullest-cities-in-europe/

LOL
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,694
    edited September 2019

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

I believe the social liberals are already worrying about this.
    It’s either that or the LDs don’t hoover up those soft Tory Remain votes in the South.

The social (democratic) liberals will probably decant to the Greens/Labour over time, I’d have thought.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

Next.
    Next, you're wrong.

No, he obviously means contactless, and says that, but for the better understanding of the interviewer he contextualises it as meaning Oyster.

Only someone utterly determined to hate him and disbelieve him could interpret it any other way. However, he has lots of people who DO hate him and disbelieve him, even when he is right, so I guess he just has to live with the political weather he helped to create.
    Sounds like he would be an ideal person to negotiate a trade deal with such great attention to detail and accuracy.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Noo said:

Charles said:

while potentially damaging the accused the most

If the allegation is true, good. We shouldn't worry about what's most convenient for the guilty.
    And if the allegation is false - I don't know - then Boris has been unfairly damaged by it.

Due process exists for a reason
    As do the libel laws.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Johnson will serve a full prison term then?
This discussion has been closed.