Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another conference boost for Jo Swinson – this time from LAB

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Chris said:

Roger said:

viewcode said:

Tabman said:

timple said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Tories would be on 346 seats in the latter scenario on UNS, the highest number of Tory MPs won by a Tory leader since Thatcher in 1987 and after tonight's vote I suspect you can count the LD tactical votes for Corbyn Labour on one hand

Most LDs are anti-Brexit and therefore anti-Tory and many will vote tactically for Lab, The YouGov poll indicates 35% will (and 65% won't). That's what I've used.

The Labour party position on Brexit hasn't changed, It is still equivocal but it does include a second referendum. I don't think it will change LibDem tactical voting behaviour much, but I think it will cause some more Labour supporters to defect to the LibDems.
    Labour is doing its level best to deter LDs voting for them tactically. 32 hr working weeks and confiscation of private property etc. They obviously only want 1st choice voters......
    It looks like that doesn't it. I wonder when the tipping point comes?
    I am the only person I know who genuinely liked Neil Kinnock. I have defended the Premierships of Blair and Brown. I have pointed out that Denis Healey and James Callaghan were the highly patriotic defence-orientated left-wingers that the Right refuses to believe exists....

...And I have no idea how to fix Labour, I really don't. Where in the name of Clement Attlee do they go from here?
    The answer, I suspect, is to the LDs, leaving the Labour Party to a small band of cultists.
    That being the case Johnson has a free pass for an awfully long time.

Less than ten years since they left government the Labour Party is now no more relevant than a student debating society.
    Labour will always get 200 seats in Tory free zones. What we need is for Jo to get 100 and the job is done. I just hope the Libs get their pitch right. They'll never have a better chance
    Not so sure Roger. ITV Wales were interviewing lifelong Labour (and Leaver) voters in the Gower constituency last week. They were going straight to Boris to get Brexit done.
    But by the time we get to an election, either Boris will have failed to get Brexit done, or else he will already have done it.

Did these lifelong Labour voters say what they'd do then?
    I suspect they - and many others - will reward him for having delivered Brexit/made the madness stop......
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Chris said:

Roger said:

viewcode said:

Tabman said:

timple said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Tories would be on 346 seats in the latter scenario on UNS, the highest number of Tory MPs won by a Tory leader since Thatcher in 1987 and after tonight's vote I suspect you can count the LD tactical votes for Corbyn Labour on one hand

Most LDs are anti-Brexit and therefore anti-Tory and many will vote tactically for Lab, The YouGov poll indicates 35% will (and 65% won't). That's what I've used.

The Labour party position on Brexit hasn't changed, It is still equivocal but it does include a second referendum. I don't think it will change LibDem tactical voting behaviour much, but I think it will cause some more Labour supporters to defect to the LibDems.
    Labour is doing its level best to deter LDs voting for them tactically. 32 hr working weeks and confiscation of private property etc. They obviously only want 1st choice voters......
    I am the only person I know who genuinely liked Neil Kinnock. I have defended the Premierships of Blair and Brown. I have pointed out that Denis Healey and James Callaghan were the highly patriotic defence-orientated left-wingers that the Right refuses to believe exists....

...And I have no idea how to fix Labour, I really don't. Where in the name of Clement Attlee do they go from here?
    The answer, I suspect, is to the LDs, leaving the Labour Party to a small band of cultists.

Less than ten years since they left government the Labour Party is now no more relevant than a student debating society.
    Labour will always get 200 seats in Tory free zones. What we need is for Jo to get 100 and the job is done. I just hope the Libs get their pitch right. They'll never have a better chance
    Not so sure Roger. ITV Wales were interviewing lifelong Labour (and Leaver) voters in the Gower constituency last week. They were going straight to Boris to get Brexit done.
    But by the time we get to an election, either Boris will have failed to get Brexit done, or else he will already have done it.

He won't have failed to get it done. He will have failed to get it done by the proposed deadline. He will be blaming that on Remainers and then going to the public to finish the job.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    If we are as a nation going to get to know the Justices of the Supreme Court more as things get increasingly political, then it seems like Lord Reed and Lord Sales will be the key figures - with mandatory retirements and the kind of age you'd expect most justices to be on appointment, their 14 and 13 year terms extending into the late 2020s and early 2030s will be critical, and near double the length of most of the justices.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    So they'll either be rewarding him for getting it done, or punishing his opponents for his failure to get it done?
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    nico67 said:

It’s been the source of much twitter conjecture as to what might happen with the Supreme Court .

The judges are really quite good at never giving the game away.

I think whatever side of the debate you’re on it’s important that they at least find the matter justiciable.

This will send a message that any future PM won’t get a free pass.

I think if they find reserved prerogative powers justiciable then they are most of the way to being a constitutional court. The downsides to that outweighs the upsides, and it's not even close. If we get the courts into politics it is only a matter of time before we get politics into the courts and the Supreme Court is rather closer to being SCOTUS than the 2005CRA envisaged.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    edited September 2019
    Drutt said:

nico67 said:

It’s been the source of much twitter conjecture as to what might happen with the Supreme Court .

I think whatever side of the debate you’re on it’s important that they at least find the matter justiciable.

I think if they find reserved prerogative powers justiciable then they are most of the way to being a constitutional court. The downsides to that outweighs the upsides, and it's not even close. If we get the courts into politics it is only a matter of time before we get politics into the courts and the Supreme Court is rather closer to being SCOTUS than the 2005CRA envisaged.
    The Supreme Court is already a constitutional court. If Boris doesn’t like what the court decides he can legislate to change the law.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    On topic.

No Mike. If Labour can’t take apart Jo Swinson and her policies at the next GE they shouldn’t even be in politics.

It will be easy.

Does revoke and ignoring 2016 bring the needed closure from the crisis allowing the country to move on?

No.

Is the Lib Dem position just more politics, just exploiting the crisis for their own self interest, not offfering any closure or bringing the country together.

Yes.

Labour’s brexit policy is the only one of the major parties that can stand up to the scrutiny of a General Election campaign.

Add to that focus on the right wing Jo Swinsons voting record and her responsibility for 9 years of Austerity Britain.

Bring it on. 🤗
  • Options
    Drutt said:

nico67 said:

I don't think it's the prerogative powers that would be justicable, but the minister's advice to use it and I believe there have been judicial reviews of ministerial advice to the Crown before, so it wouldn't be particularly new ground.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

Chris said:

Roger said:

viewcode said:

Tabman said:

timple said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

I suspect they - and many others - will reward him for having delivered Brexit/made the madness stop......
    I suspect they will, even from the back of the Jobseekers' queue.
  • Options
    @egg no. Just no.
  • Options
    egg said:

On topic.

No Mike. If Labour can’t take apart Jo Swinson and her policies at the next GE they shouldn’t even be in politics.

It will be easy.

Does revoke and ignoring 2016 bring the needed closure from the crisis allowing the country to move on?

No.

Is the Lib Dem position just more politics, just exploiting the crisis for their own self interest, not offfering any closure or bringing the country together.

Yes.

Labour’s brexit policy is the only one of the major parties that can stand up to the scrutiny of a General Election campaign.

Add to that focus on the right wing Jo Swinsons voting record and her responsibility for 9 years of Austerity Britain.

Bring it on. 🤗

...but today just looked like a clown show!
  • Options

Drutt said:

nico67 said:

The Supreme Court is already a constitutional court. If Boris doesn’t like what the court decides he can legislate to change the law.
    I mean constitutional court in the mould of BVerfG or SCOTUS.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If we are as a nation going to get to know the Justices of the Supreme Court more as things get increasingly political, then it seems like Lord Reed and Lord Sales will be the key figures - with mandatory retirements and the kind of age you'd expect most justices to be on appointment, their 14 and 13 year terms extending into the late 2020s and early 2030s will be critical, and near double the length of most of the justices.

In 2050 Lord Sales will be the Ruth Bader Ginsburg of the UK Supreme Court. Probably battling against Boris Johnson's nano-clones or something.
  • Options
    Why are our journalists so illiterate these days?
  • Options
    Drutt said:

Drutt said:

nico67 said:

I mean constitutional court in the mould of BVerfG or SCOTUS.
    But it wont ever be that as we don’t have a ‘higher law’.

As I said. Boris can legislate to overrule the Supreme Court if he so wishes. Statute overrides Case Law.

He hasn’t got a majority you say? Tough sh*t.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    It's going to be hellish to see the howls of rage if he does lose the case. The vitriol poured on the court will be immense, and he's already had sources fan the flames though no doubt he will make some mealy mouthed comment about respecting our fine judges tally ho what for.

If he wins I'd expect a lot more bitterness than rage, and talk of establishment stitch ups.
  • Options
    I've just seen the clip of the Labour vote.

The chair clearly says that in her view it was carried. How does that become lost?

If there's doubt why would you not do a card vote?

Wow.

How watertight is the system of tellers for Commons votes?
  • Options
    He really is above morality and the law!

The Arcuri business alone would have finished any other politician (Adam Werritty anyone?) but the BBC can barely be arsed to ask the question. They and we have seen it all before. Boris will be Boris!
  • Options
    I was idly looking at the biographies of the justices, as you do. I see Lord Hodge's first names are Patrick Stewart, while Lord Briggs is Michael Townley Featherstone Briggs. How quaint.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's going to be hellish to see the howls of rage if he does lose the case. The vitrol poured on the court will be immense, and he's already had sources fan the flames though no doubt he will make some mealy mouthed comment about respecting our fine judges tally ho what for.

If he wins I'd expect a lot more bitterness than rage, and talk of establishment stitch ups.
    If parliament is recalled, would the Conservative party conference have to be cancelled?
  • Options
    You have to give it to Labour for comedy values. Crucial vote.
    CHAIR: Motion carried
    Mics cut off. Frantic conversation between chair and Gen Sec
    CHAIR: I thought one thing, Jennie thinks the other. Motion lost
    Howls of disbelief from the floor calling for a card vote
    CHAIR: whatever I do all lot of you will be upset. In my view it was carried
    Mics cut again. More agitated conversation.
    CHAIR: for clarification the motion was lost

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization. Shills can carry out their operations in the areas of media, journalism, marketing, politics, confidence games, or other business areas. A shill may also act to discredit opponents or critics of the person or organization in which they have a vested interest through character assassination or other means.

I think a certain BBC Political Editor is a shill.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    edited September 2019

Drutt said:

nico67 said:

I don't think it's the prerogative powers that would be justicable, but the minister's advice to use it and I believe there have been judicial reviews of ministerial advice to the Crown before, so it wouldn't be particularly new ground.
    We're talking about the justiciability of the prerogation prerogative presumably.

(And not of the prerogation itself)
  • Options

egg said:

On topic.

It will be easy.

No.

Yes.

Bring it on. 🤗

...but today just looked like a clown show!
    Then probably Labour won't feature today in their election material, though you never know.
  • Options

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

It is a democratic party after all.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited September 2019
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Gods forbid it is a 6:5 decision - it won't matter a jot, but you can bet the losing side will be certain Lord Briggs would have voted their way.

An 8-3, or more decisive, judgement either way would be better than a close decision.
    A shame there's been turnover since the A50 case, might have been interesting to see if the same ones dissented or not.
    Of the 6 judges still on the court from then .

It’s currently 4 to 2 in favour of the original Gina Miller case . The newest judge Lord Sales would be a 5 as he ruled in the original high court case .

So that’s 5 amenable to restricting the powers of the executive , not saying they’ll rule in favour this time though .

Of the four remaining I haven’t read enough of their previous writings and opinions although a fun fact .

Lady Arden is married to the previous SC judge Lord Mance , he in the GM case supported Gina Miller .
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

AS in DDR or North Korea?
  • Options
    Floater said:

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

AS in DDR or North Korea?
    Yes
  • Options

A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization. Shills can carry out their operations in the areas of media, journalism, marketing, politics, confidence games, or other business areas. A shill may also act to discredit opponents or critics of the person or organization in which they have a vested interest through character assassination or other means.

That being so, she only needs to let today's shambles play out without commentary and the Labour Party has done her work for her.
  • Options

Are they working for the Zionists?

Asking for a friend....

Oh your going off the deep end - you might want to take a break

• Options

Generally probably OK but The Habeas Corpus Act of 1679 passed because the teller on one side counted a very fat colleague as 10 as a joke, then realized the other teller hadn't noticed, and decided to roll with it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

TBF she looked out of her depth all afternoon
  • Options
    edited September 2019

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

Of course she did mate.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited September 2019
    Well he would say that wouldn't he...

Personally I can't see any outcome other than the entire government resigning tomorrow if SC rules they mislead the Queen..
  • Options

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

No Ms. Formby intervened on behalf of our heroic Leader and it looked awful.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Well he would say that wouldn;t he...

Personally I can't see any outcome other than the entire government resigning tomorrow if SC rules the mislead the Queen..
    Prime Minister Corbyn by Wednesday? Christ. I need to replenish my stockpile.
  • Options

Floater said:

"On what basis Jeremy Corbyn edges out, say, Michael Foot, Keir Hardie, Neil Kinnock, Clement Attlee and the rest is not immediately clear, not least as none of them have been accused of active complicity in racism,"

Well, whoever wrote that for The Independent is clearly a grade-one know-nothing.

No less than Henry McLeish has provided compelling evidence that Keir Hardie was an intolerant xenophobe who indulged in crude racial stereotyping and castigated foreigners for taking Scottish jobs.
    Do we add Gordon Brown then for his "British jobs for British workers" pitch?

So much for the moral crusade then....
  • Options
    edited September 2019

GIN1138 said:

Personally I can't see any outcome other than the entire government resigning tomorrow if SC rules the mislead the Queen..
    Only if he commands the confidence of the House...
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    GIN1138 said:

I'm curious, why do you see that happening? Sources are already laying the groundwork to blame the judges for siding with remainiacs to overturn the democratic vote of the people, so why would they not just carry on, complying with the ruling through gritted teeth? It's not as though anyone still remaining in the Cabinet or party will consider this a bridge too far.

I can see him resigning as a ploy later, maybe, but resigning right away in disgrace? That hurts his brand too much. Oddly, more than losing the case alone would.
  • Options

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

She did not misspeak.

She very clearly said that she saw it as being carried, twice, but that Jenny had seen it otherwise and she went with that instead.

Amazing.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Only if he command the confidence of the House...
    That’s not true though is it? There’s no vote of confidence if the government has resigned. It’s just who is most likely to command confidence of the house. Evidence? Boris Johnson. There would have to be a Prime Minister even if we headed for an election.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm curious, why do you see that happening? Sources are already laying the groundwork to blame the judges for siding with remainiacs to overturn the democratic vote of the people, so why would they not just carry on, complying with the ruling through gritted teeth? It's not as though anyone still remaining in the Cabinet or party will consider this a bridge too far.
    Just a hunch that they'll try to use this to force the issue of a general election...
  • Options

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

Yeah - Look the other way

Bit like when the anti semitism started piling up - but no - nothing to see.....

Even the Independent thinks it smells
  • Options

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

She did not misspeak.

She very clearly said that she saw it as being carried, twice, but that Jenny had seen it otherwise and she went with that instead.

Amazing.
    Isn’t she on sick leave anyway? Genuine question. Shouldn’t someone else be discharging her duties currently?
  • Options

Generally probably OK but The Habeas Corpus Act of 1679 passed because the teller on one side counted a very fat colleague as 10 as a joke, then realized the other teller hadn't noticed, and decided to roll with it.
    So you could have a situation where the tellers don't agree on the count and call each other liars?

I wouldn't like to be the Speaker who had to deal with that.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Personally I can't see any outcome other than the entire government resigning tomorrow if SC rules they mislead the Queen..
    The list of misdemeanours that the dear leader Boris considers a resignation matter for himself is unlikely to require much ink, if any.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2019
    A future Labour government would take equity stakes in car producers in return for a £3bn capital investment in new electric models and machinery.

Announcing the new plans, Shadow Business Secretary Rebecca Long Bailey said the state should "not be afraid to intervene" to ensure the success of the automotive sector in light of the huge technological and economic challenges it faced.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1176230871189413893

Yet Boris is so desperate for a trade deal he is likely to offer Trump everything he asks for before he realises his mistake.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Len McCluskey's speech just replayed on BBC2 'what divides us is not whether we are Leavers or Remainers but our class, we are not a party of Leave or Remain but of Socialism' etc
  • Options

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

She did not misspeak.

Amazing.
    Should have gone to SpecSavers, Comrade......
  • Options

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

She did not misspeak.

Amazing.
    Isn’t she on sick leave anyway? Genuine question. Shouldn’t someone else be discharging her duties currently?
    No idea. I could see conference being the sort of thing you'd make a special effort for, even if it meant you suffered for it the weeks afterwards.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Only if he commands the confidence of the House...
    After today's fiasco?
  • Options
    Boris won't resign tomorrow - he's at 60 days in office, he needs another 60 to pass George Canning as the shortest serving PM.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647
    edited September 2019

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

She did not misspeak.

Amazing.
    Dont know if there could be a legal challenge. If the chair is supposed to ask for a card vote if the show of hands is close surely the two people involved having different opinions mandates a card vote. At best it suggests incompetence, alternatively it is corrupt or a mix of the two.
  • Options

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

She did not misspeak.

Amazing.
    No idea. I could see conference being the sort of thing you'd make a special effort for, even if it meant you suffered for it the weeks afterwards.
    Of course but normally HR would be having none of it on duty of care grounds.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Len McCluskey's speech just replayed on BBC2 'what divides us is not whether we are Leavers or Remainers but our class, we are not a party of Leave or Remain but of Socialism' etc

A class where everyone wears Italian suits, lives in grace and favour homes and allegedly keeps trophy mistresses? Sign me up!
  • Options
    nico67 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Gods forbid it is a 6:5 decision - it won't matter a jot, but you can bet the losing side will be certain Lord Briggs would have voted their way.

An 8-3, or more decisive, judgement either way would be better than a close decision.
    A shame there's been turnover since the A50 case, might have been interesting to see if the same ones dissented or not.

It’s currently 4 to 2 in favour of the original Gina Miller case . The newest judge Lord Sales would be a 5 as he ruled in the original high court case .

So that’s 5 amenable to restricting the powers of the executive , not saying they’ll rule in favour this time though .

Of the four remaining I haven’t read enough of their previous writings and opinions although a fun fact .

Lady Arden is married to the previous SC judge Lord Mance , he in the GM case supported Gina Miller .
    But I keep coming back to the original Queen's Bench decision - a panel of very illustrious judges that was effectively the Court of Appeal sitting - ruling for the Govt. Over-ruling them is of course possible, but it will require some interesting explanation of how they got it so wrong....
  • Options

nico67 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

But I keep coming back to the original Queen's Bench decision - a panel of very illustrious judges that was effectively the Court of Appeal sitting - ruling for the Govt. Over-ruling them is of course possible, but it will require some interesting explanation of how they got it so wrong....
    Are they giving 2 judgements, 1 using Scottish law and another using English law?
  • Options

nico67 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Cannot be that hard - the Court of Session found it easy enough to explain how Lord Doherty had gotten it wrong.
  • Options

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

She did not misspeak.

Amazing.
    Dont know if there could be a legal challenge. If the chair is supposed to ask for a card vote if the show of hands is close surely the two people involved having different opinions mandates a card vote. At best it suggests incompetence, alternatively it is corrupt or a mix of the two.
    I think in this sort of situation it's normally a bit like cricket (before DRS) - the [Umpire's] Chair's decision is final.

But, wow. If you're going to nobble the Chair at least do it properly so they call it the right way without you having to correct them in front of everyone.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Boris won’t be resigning - if he loses then it’s time for a Queens speech.

Unless the house prefers to VONC him in which case we will see if Jezza can command confidence which I doubt.

So into a GE in the meantime Boris won’t fear not writing a letter so the GE will be after Brexit.
  • Options

nico67 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Are they giving 2 judgements, 1 using Scottish law and another using English law?
    They are giving a response to each, but my understanding is that the Court of Session ruling was not under Scottish law.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Boris won’t be resigning - if he loses then it’s time for a Queens speech.

Unless the house prefers to VONC him in which case we will see if Jezza can command confidence which I doubt.

So into a GE in the meantime Boris won’t fear not writing a letter so the GE will be after Brexit.

Why would the house care if there is a Queen’s Speech?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    kle4 said:

It's going to be hellish to see the howls of rage if he does lose the case. The vitriol poured on the court will be immense, and he's already had sources fan the flames though no doubt he will make some mealy mouthed comment about respecting our fine judges tally ho what for.

It is largely a pointless ruling now anyway, the No Deal Bill has been passed so it really means little in comparison to say Parliament being prorogued past October 31st with no anti No Deal legislation in place.

If the Court sides with the Government Remainers will be angry, if the Court decides against the Government Leavers will be angry but in reality it changes zilch other than in theoretical terms and I expect the Court will come down somewhere in the middle anyway
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    HYUFD said:

Might have worked in the 70s or 80s
  • Options
    No advance copies of the judgement have been made available to either side ahead of the SC ruling tomorrow .

This is very unusual .
  • Options
    eek said:

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1176230871189413893

Yet Boris is so desperate for a trade deal he is likely to offer Trump everything he asks for before he realises his mistake.

He has only ever been interested in the ceremony at the end of anything. The rest is all detail, which he doesn't do.
  • Options
    Could this be the first conference poll boost for the party that wasn't having the conference?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

kle4 said:

It's going to be hellish to see the howls of rage if he does lose the case. The vitrol poured on the court will be immense, and he's already had sources fan the flames though no doubt he will make some mealy mouthed comment about respecting our fine judges tally ho what for.

If parliament is recalled, would the Conservative party conference have to be cancelled?
    Don't think so. Most MPs don't go to the conferences. Obviously senior Cabinet members do for their day in the sun, but that's 2 per day.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

No advance copies of the judgement have been made available to either side ahead of the SC ruling tomorrow .

This is very unusual .

They must think Boris is a flight risk!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

It is largely a pointless ruling now anyway, the No Deal Bill has been passed so it really means little in comparison to say Parliament being prorogued past October 31st with no anti No Deal legislation in place.

If the Court sides with the Government Remainers will be angry, if the Court decides against the Government Leavers will be angry but in reality it changes zilch other than in theoretical terms and I expect the Court will come down somewhere in the middle anyway
    If it is not justiciable at all we could see a re prorogation of parliament immediately on its return. It would also suggest that the executive is more sovereign than parliament (as the executive can shut parliament down when it suits) which is a big shift in the constitution as most understand it.

As long as they clarify it is justiciable, roughly the confirm the scope of whats legal or not then parliament will have the chance to make the rules around future prorogations clearer. I would be content with that, agree whether the current one is legal or not is not particularly important but justiciability is key.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

If it is not justiciable at all we could see a re prorogation of parliament immediately on its return. It would also suggest that the executive is more sovereign than parliament (as the executive can shut parliament down when it suits) which is a big shift in the constitution as most understand it.

As long as they clarify it is justiciable, roughly the confirm the scope of whats legal or not then parliament will have the chance to make the rules around future prorogations clearer. I would be content with that, agree whether the current one is legal or not is not particularly important but justiciability is key.
    Agreed
  • Options
    "In my view it was carried... I'm receiving advice. It was lost. I know we had lots of card votes yesterday, but they were closer than this one."

I've no idea which way the vote went, but it's clear that if the Chair did she ended up going against her view.

Absolutely crackers.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I agree . I think the court might be mindful of what an out of control executive could do left to their own devices .

The judges will have seen the behaviour of Bozo and others and surely must be concerned if they give a free pass to them !

• Options

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

She did not misspeak.

Amazing.
    Seriously, who cares? Headlines tomorrow will be set by the SC verdict. The rest is just noise.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

The Chair misspoke

Yes - but in the hall the majority for the Corbyn motion was overwhelming. The majority against the Remain commitment was less so, though still clear.

What strikes me about the conferences - as someone who goes to all of them every year - is how distinctively cultural they are in different ways. The Labour conference is often irritating, but never less than heart-warming for people like me - warm, engaged, generous, passionate and often funny, with a strong sense of fair play. There was one elderly delegate who lost her place in her speech and frantically hunted for ir - the Chair said she was sorry, but her 4 minutes were up, and the whole hall erupted in sympathy - LET HER SPEAK! It's a bubble, but a bubble I'm glad to be part of.

The other parties have their own cultures too. The LibDem one was still a fraction of the size of the Labour one (and I suspect the Tories will be larger still), but a distinctive sense of optimistic middle-class centrist goodwill - a convention of Independent readers to Labour's Guardian/Mirror mix. It'll be interesting to see the Tory one this year - last year was intense about Brexit, but with an underlying note of cheerful self-confidence. A big difference is that the Labour conference is thoroughly mixe ethnically - the LibDems were 95% white, as were the Conservatives last year.
  • Options

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

She did not misspeak.

Amazing.
    Seriously, who cares? Headlines tomorrow will be set by the SC verdict. The rest is just noise.
    The Supreme Court judgement will speak to the suitability of the government to hold office. In a smaller way so does today's shenanigans at conference.
  • Options

"In my view it was carried... I'm receiving advice. It was lost. I know we had lots of card votes yesterday, but they were closer than this one."

I've no idea which way the vote went, but it's clear that if the Chair did she ended up going against her view.

Absolutely crackers.

It was quite clear their chair has no freedom to act and just does whatever the GS says
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Absolutely crackers.

It was quite clear their chair has no freedom to act and just does whatever the GS says
    Yet the BBC report says the the vote was decisive. What the GS said appears to have been correct.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

This is very unusual .

Two thoughts. One: this is not justiciable. HMG will likely prorogue again if in its interests. Chances of no-deal higher. Decision embargoed because of effect on GBP.

Two: this is justiciable, and Boris has crossed the line. PM must accordingly resign on behalf of all HMG. No idea what comes next (Corbyn PM, no PM, PM who is not a leader of a party, election, Bercow abolishes time, cities rise up on legs and compete with humanity for resources), but difficult to see how it's not a market- sensitive event.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Drutt said:

nico67 said:

This is very unusual .

Two thoughts. One: this is not justiciable. HMG will likely prorogue again if in its interests. Chances of no-deal higher. Decision embargoed because of effect on GBP.

Two: this is justiciable, and Boris has crossed the line. PM must accordingly resign on behalf of all HMG. No idea what comes next (Corbyn PM, no PM, PM who is not a leader of a party, election, Bercow abolishes time, cities rise up on legs and compete with humanity for resources), but difficult to see how it's not a market- sensitive event.
    Can the courts force him to resign? I wouldn't have thought so.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

A class where everyone wears Italian suits, lives in grace and favour homes and allegedly keeps trophy mistresses? Sign me up!
    You forgot the very nice pay packet - 140K plus in 2014 I think I read.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Absolutely crackers.

Yet the BBC report says the the vote was decisive. What the GS said appears to have been correct.
    If two people on the platform have a different opinion that's a clear case for a card vote. That they dodged this even when asked speaks volumes
  • Options

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

She did not misspeak.

Amazing.
    The Supreme Court judgement will speak to the suitability of the government to hold office. In a smaller way so does today's shenanigans at conference.
    One's a legal judgement from the highest court in the land over whether the government acted unlawfully. The other was at worst a procedural cock-up over a vote that probably does not matter very much anyway.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Any predictions for tomorrow's verdict?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited September 2019

The Chair misspoke

Yes - but in the hall the majority for the Corbyn motion was overwhelming. The majority against the Remain commitment was less so, though still clear.

What strikes me about the conferences - as someone who goes to all of them every year - is how distinctively cultural they are in different ways. The Labour conference is often irritating, but never less than heart-warming for people like me - warm, engaged, generous, passionate and often funny, with a strong sense of fair play. There was one elderly delegate who lost her place in her speech and frantically hunted for ir - the Chair said she was sorry, but her 4 minutes were up, and the whole hall erupted in sympathy - LET HER SPEAK! It's a bubble, but a bubble I'm glad to be part of.

The other parties have their own cultures too. The LibDem one was still a fraction of the size of the Labour one (and I suspect the Tories will be larger still), but a distinctive sense of optimistic middle-class centrist goodwill - a convention of Independent readers to Labour's Guardian/Mirror mix. It'll be interesting to see the Tory one this year - last year was intense about Brexit, but with an underlying note of cheerful self-confidence. A big difference is that the Labour conference is thoroughly mixe ethnically - the LibDems were 95% white, as were the Conservatives last year.
    I thougght the same. The elderly Jewish lady who lost her notes and was shaking with nerves as she tried to find her place was quite moving. What's more she was one of the most interesting speakers before she lost her place. Intelligent and full of facts and figures. The chair appeared unsympathetic and it was pleasing to hear the hall give her short shrift. You did get a sense of a real social consciece throughout the hall which was nice. I found the 'Jeremy' chanting far too zombie like for my taste and even a bit chilling
  • Options
    RobD said:

Drutt said:

nico67 said:

This is very unusual .

Can the courts force him to resign? I wouldn't have thought so.
    No, but the sentence 'you lied to Her Maj, Prime Minister' kinda has to end with 'so you're going to the palace for a meeting without coffee and you need to polish your CV'
  • Options
    Drutt said:

No, but the sentence 'you lied to Her Maj, Prime Minister' kinda has to end with 'so you're going to the palace for a meeting without coffee and you need to polish your CV'

The complication here is that the lie may be something he was instructed to tell by some too-clever-by-half representative of Her Majesty, who may have cooked up the whole idea of proroguing, but letting parliament have a few days here and there and pretending it's for a Queen's speech, as a compromise designed to keep the Queen out of politics...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Any predictions for tomorrow's verdict?

I think the government will have been found to have acted lawfully. Any other verdict will create far too many complications.
  • Options

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

She did not misspeak.

Amazing.
    One's a legal judgement from the highest court in the land over whether the government acted unlawfully. The other was at worst a procedural cock-up over a vote that probably does not matter very much anyway.
    Hmm. Maybe I'm letting my outrage at "things not being done properly" cloud my sense of perspective.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Just what they needed. A boris Johnson photo op when they were trying to sort out 150,000 stranded holiday makers
  • Options

EJECT
    EJECT
    EJECT

What a fucking shambles.

The Chair misspoke

She did not misspeak.

Amazing.
    Hmm. Maybe I'm letting my outrage at "things not being done properly" cloud my sense of perspective.
    Most things that ought to matter turn out not to, in the end.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2019
    It seems to me that one of the things that happens when politics gets very tribal is that people start saying and doing things that are more designed to annoy their opponents than to positively support their own cause, (assuming there's a difference between the two). It's what you might call the RIchie Benaud attitude: he always said that when captaining a cricket team you should continuously try to do what the opposing team would like least.
  • Options
    Newspaper front pages -- most lead on Thomas Cook, including huge bonuses paid to bosses. Only the Guardian and Telegraph have the Labour vote as the main story. The Times has dug up something on Kim Philby, apparently.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-49805304
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    AndyJS said:

It seems to me that one of the things that happens when politics gets very tribal is that people start saying and doing things that are more designed to annoy their opponents than to positively support their own cause, (assuming there's a difference between the two). It's what you might call the RIchie Benaud attitude: he always said that when captaining a cricket team you should continuously try to do what the opposing team would like least.

When will Jezza get in on the act ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:

When will Jezza get in on the act ?
    Corbyn stopped Boris's pre-Brexit election.
This discussion has been closed.