Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another conference boost for Jo Swinson – this time from LAB

1235»

Comments

• Options
    OT @Byronic was right about David Cameron's memoirs: they are very badly written and dull. I am tempted to give up midway through chapter 13 when our hero reveals the special relationship with the USA is special.
    When it came to the ‘special relationship’ with the USA, I had always felt it was special to me personally: I had huge admiration for the United States, loved spending time there, and as a child of the Cold War I was clear that it was our best friend and ally. It seemed obvious that we should want to maintain, and where possible enhance, the special relationship. And I believe that word – ‘special’ – is merited.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

OT @Byronic was right about David Cameron's memoirs: they are very badly written and dull. I am tempted to give up midway through chapter 13 when our hero reveals the special relationship with the USA is special.
    When it came to the ‘special relationship’ with the USA, I had always felt it was special to me personally: I had huge admiration for the United States, loved spending time there, and as a child of the Cold War I was clear that it was our best friend and ally. It seemed obvious that we should want to maintain, and where possible enhance, the special relationship. And I believe that word – ‘special’ – is merited.

Is it true the book is 700 pages long? That sounds far too many if so.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Is it true the book is 700 pages long? That sounds far too many if so.
    700 pages after the publisher insisted on cutting 100,000 words.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Roger said:

AndyJS said:

Any predictions for tomorrow's verdict?

I think the government will have been found to have acted lawfully. Any other verdict will create far too many complications.
    I agree. The Supreme Court of the UK will not find that the Queen did something unlawful even though it will be couched in terms of PM's advice.
    Question: If the Queen has to do what the PM asks her to do, then why bother asking her ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2019

God, how shit was the 100k words they cut out.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Roger said:

AndyJS said:

Any predictions for tomorrow's verdict?

I think the government will have been found to have acted lawfully. Any other verdict will create far too many complications.
    I agree, although I could see the Lords adding a James Comey style rider to explain why despite it being lawful there was all kinds of unethical behaviour underpinning it and hauling the PM/No. 10 over the coals so to speak.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    edited September 2019
    I'm surprised by above posts.

I thought the consensus on Thursday was that the questions the Judges asked in the final hour about remedies strongly suggested they would find the Govt was in the wrong - because if they were finding in favour of the Govt then there would be no need to even think about remedies.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    New Thread !
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

You’d almost think he KNEW something about writing?
This discussion has been closed.