Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Swinson’s great LD gamble – making cancelling Brexit party pol

Comments

• ab195ab195 Posts: 477

ab195 said:

I won’t be the only person in this country whose reaction to those pictures is “f#ck ‘em”.

The only question is whether there’s enough of us in the right places to return a Gvt at the next election. It’s 50/50 I reckon.

Knock yourselves out. You could elect Godfrey Bloom Prime Minister for all the difference it would make to the reality of our choices.
    So I’m racist and sexist? You people really are the worst kind of pond scum and at some point in the next ten years I’ll get to watch you fail to get your own way for the first time in your posh lives. It’s going to be hilarious.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Looks like Boris didn’t fall into the EU trap of appearing in front of a hired mob.

Pathetic stunt from the EU - we are well rid of this cabal.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    Brom said:

Number 10 source says Boris Johnson's team repeatedly asked to move the press conference inside "due to the number of people who would boo and chant" over it, but Luxembourg refused.
    “The whole series of events is extraordinary and reflects far more on them than it does us.”

— Arj Singh (@singharj) September 16, 2019

Ha Ha Ha , typical Tory when they do not have a tame audience they run for the back door.
    Embarrassing stuff from Luxembourg.
  • TGOHF said:

Can't hear any boos or cheers during the Luxembourg PM's speech.
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    TGOHF said:

Looks like Boris didn’t fall into the EU trap of appearing in front of a hired mob.

Pathetic stunt from the EU - we are well rid of this cabal.

That is the general reaction on Twitter, from Brits - aside from a few quisling Remainers.

Luxembourg may have successfully humiliated the British PM but they have also polarised British opinion further, and possibly made a deal less likely, and No Deal more likely.

I really don't think that is what they want, and I suspect they are already regretting it.
  • surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Byronic said:
    The Incredible Hulk cannot take on 400 people booing. He is a Fake Incredible Hulk.
  • Byronic said:
    40? Hardly an Iraq War protest!*

(* three of which I went on in 2003).
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FTPT

You see, I heavily discount analysis like this because it’s so obvious that you detest Trump.

I’m interested in betting and the cold sober analysis of the dynamics of the electoral college.

My initial view is that Trump has been very good at delivering on the manifesto for his base and the economy isn’t actually doing too badly. Therefore, it’s very far from the slam dunk his opponents make it out to be.

I may detest Trump but that still didn't stop me backing him to win the nomination whilst others on here were saying he was a rock solid lay.

The cold sober analysis of the dynamics of the electoral college is that Trump needs to win the Rust Belt again but this time he isn't going to face an opponent who choses not to campaign there even when their own internal polling shows they are behind. I lost money on the General Election because I made the assumption that the Clinton Campaign wasn't completely fucking incompetent.

There is a lot of Stories told about Trump's miraculous powers in the Rust Belt but at the end of the day he got the same vote levels as Romney and no one was touting Romney as some amazing savant in touch with the white working class that makes it impossible for the Dems to win.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    TGOHF said:

LOL, Boris the Brave he ran away
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Byronic said:
    Eh, he couldn't really win either way. Do it with boos in the background and there's the 'listen to all those boos, this is not normal!' histrionics, don't do it and he looks cowardly. The reaction of his counterpart has actually helped Boris by making it seem all the more like a stunt.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Byronic said:
    The Incredible Hulk cannot take on 400 people booing. He is a Fake Incredible Hulk.
    Have you heard how loud they were cheering when the Luxembourg PM was talking? It would have been pointless to even have tried having a press conference.
  • ab195 said:

ab195 said:

I won’t be the only person in this country whose reaction to those pictures is “f#ck ‘em”.

The only question is whether there’s enough of us in the right places to return a Gvt at the next election. It’s 50/50 I reckon.

Knock yourselves out. You could elect Godfrey Bloom Prime Minister for all the difference it would make to the reality of our choices.
    So I’m racist and sexist? You people really are the worst kind of pond scum and at some point in the next ten years I’ll get to watch you fail to get your own way for the first time in your posh lives. It’s going to be hilarious.
    Posh?

My point is twofold: if you want Brexit at any cost, you will have no choice but to support people who are not very nice being in power in the UK, and this will not do anything to improve the UK's position.
  • Brom said:

I’m not sure that Boris Johnson will want sympathy at being ridiculed. Doesn’t smack of strong leadership.

I think this is true too. I do believe the correct decision was made to not proceed with the Presser though. It will look cowardly through some eyes but far better than the optics of Boris trying to talk through the boos next to a smug Luxembourg PM who knew he would be cheered to the hilt.
    Exactly, simple rules of being a host is that you don't go out of your way to humilate your guest.

• Boris is so yellow, he should defect to the LibDems!

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,543
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

O/T fpt:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

In an attempt to derail the thread, what is missing from this list ?
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/sep/16/100-best-tv-shows-of-the-21st-century

I have watched a lot of telly in my time but have seen just 2 of the top 10 - The Office and Fleabag.

Surprised - and slightly perturbed - by this.
    Extraordinary. Of course people can argue the toss between The Sopranos and The Wire but not to have seen either.

What on earth is your demographic?
    Number 78 is one of my favourite ever shows. The Guardian are good at something at least.
    I have seen one episode of one of the top ten (the pilot of Breaking Bad).
    Blimey. I think I’ve watched every episode of The Sopranos, The Office and Peep Show, but not anything else in the top 10 except a few episodes of The Wire.

Freaks & Geeks is a hidden gem.
    Looking down the top 100, I’ve seen an episode of Line Of Duty, all of The Killing, the Blue Planet, some Big Brother*, some Bake Off*, most of the Good Wife*, some of South Park, some of Doctor Who, a fair amount of Sherlock, Planet Earth, some Inbetweeners, Gavin & Stacey, some Strictly*, some Gogglebox, some I’m A Celebrity*.

*Not my choice.

I don’t watch much TV and I don’t feel I’ve missed out much. I’ve not heard of about a third of the list.
    You are missing out. Get some of the higher rated series and enjoy yourself*.

*the Good Wife is excellent, sounds like someone in your household has a good appreciation of dramatic art.
    The Good Wife is fine. Nothing amazing. The Killing was exceptional. If all TV were like that, I’d be watching it nonstop.

I don’t have the time to invest in television series with all my other commitments and interests. Something has to give.
    Which consideration is what prompted the original question. I haven't and won't see everything on the list, but I'd like to know what else I might be missing.

Start with the top five and you won't go far wrong.
    I've seen all of those but The Sopranos, and have no real desire to watch that, fine actor that Gandolfini was. And I'm afraid The Wire might now seem slightly dated to someone coming to it for the first time (& is it quite old enough to be 'period' ?).

Considering the abundance now available, it's strange there's so little outside of US/UK output.
    There are at least three Korean dramas I'd put on there.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Bozo , poor thing can’t cope with some protests .

Well done Xavier Bettel for telling it like it is !
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

RobD said:
    Astonishing behaviour. Why is a press conference being called in front of protestors?
    I bet Bettel will get a rolled up newspaper to the nose from the rest of the EU for that
    Good for Johnson for walking away.

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1173608460631576576

If you believe No 10's account you will believe, literally believe, that the moon is made of green cheese.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    TGOHF said:
    And we're not talking about the crowd being 100 yards away. As you can see from the images the podium is ridiculously close. You might expect that on a political rally but not on a diplomatic meeting where you know a protest has gathered.

Brom said:

I’m not sure that Boris Johnson will want sympathy at being ridiculed. Doesn’t smack of strong leadership.

I think this is true too. I do believe the correct decision was made to not proceed with the Presser though. It will look cowardly through some eyes but far better than the optics of Boris trying to talk through the boos next to a smug Luxembourg PM who knew he would be cheered to the hilt.
    Exactly, simple rules of being a host is that you don't go out of your way to humilate your guest.

Quite - but quisling Remainers will always take the side of the EU Empire.

RobD said:
    Astonishing behaviour. Why is a press conference being called in front of protestors?
    I bet Bettel will get a rolled up newspaper to the nose from the rest of the EU for that

If you believe No 10's account you will believe, literally believe, that the moon is made of green cheese.
    Not just Number 10 by all accounts, numerous sources in the press I'm afraid.

RobD said:

Just listen to the clip in that piece. Now imagine that level of booing and chanting as Boris spoke.
  • NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Byronic said:

quisling Remainers.

Looks like Byronic is heading for one of his trademark meltdowns.
  • The EU have played this incredibly badly. This will not go down well with the public. Or indeed with a lot of EU leaders.

Bettel is an idiot.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

RobD said:

The master negotiator can't even negotiate a room indoors.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,951
    nico67 said:

Bettel reminds me of one of those Eurovision nonentities, tasked with giving out the scores and making his moment in the spotlight stretch on for what seems likes hours.

They are wankers too.
  • Z

The EU have played this incredibly badly. This will not go down well with the public. Or indeed with a lot of EU leaders.

Bettel is an idiot.

I expect they think he’ll be gone in very short order. No need to give niceties to someone who has a long history of boorishness who’s heading for the exit.

Boris is an idiot.

Correction :lol:
    It wasn’t the EU commission empty chairing the PM so the Leavers can cut the faux outrage .

Jeez talk about snowflakes.
  • nico67 said:

Bettel reminds me of one of those Eurovision nonentities, tasked with giving out the scores and making his moment in the spotlight stretch on for what seems likes hours.

They are wankers too.
    Bettel is clearly really not very clever.

Idiotic way to behave. For no gain. It just makes him look an idiot and the EU look childish and unreasonable. Not a good look at this point in time....
    nico67 said:

It wasn’t the EU commission empty chairing the PM so the Leavers can cut the faux outrage .

No, it was a leader of one of the countries of the EU. Not sure how that makes it better?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,543

The EU have played this incredibly badly. This will not go down well with the public. Or indeed with a lot of EU leaders.

Bettel is an idiot.

It was more than a little foolish. Particularly from the PM of Europe's leading tax haven.

While I might have a great deal of sympathy with the opinions he expressed during his brief harangue, I fail to see why he thought such a press conference would be an appropriate venue for their expression.
    nico67 said:

Obviously it hasn't played out how you wanted, but I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt that this was Bettel's fault and nothing to do with Juncker.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    TGOHF said:

Brom said:

Quite - but quisling Remainers will always take the side of the EU Empire.
    Don't be daft. A healthy fraction of remainers (including me) find this performance by the Luxembourg PM to be petty and pointless. And do bear in mind that I think Johnson is a complete cnut.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    nico67 said:

I'm sure if the UK organized a presser with no dealers chanting 10 yards in front of Angela Merkel you'd think that was perfectly alright?
  • Anorak said:

Even as a remainiac I think holding the conference with an empty podium was bad form and counter-productive. There has been a very clear narrative of the EU behaving like the adult in the room, and this undermines it to no clear end.

While Hannan and others moan about "provocation", remind me which leader has stopped his civil servants going to meetings, has cut his negotiation team to four, keeps telling people he won't extend despite a law saying he must and is apparently refusing to table already-drafted proposals in some sort of brinkmanship? The bar to becoming or remaining the adult in the room is a low one.

I assume this was a late withdrawal.. and already there were cameras rolling, so taking away the podium would have been equally suboptimal.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Just listen to the clip in that piece. Now imagine that level of booing and chanting as Boris spoke.

Remainer journalists, present in Luxembourg, admitted BEFOREHAND it would be impossible to hold a presser.

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1173584947774459904?s=20
    If this spat escalates then we might face a shortage of Luxembourg exports after Brexit - how will we survive without er.... tax havens and secretive banks ?
    edited September 2019

nico67 said:

I'm sure if the UK organized a presser with no dealers chanting 10 yards in front of Angela Merkel you'd think that was perfectly alright?
    Have they ever done such a thing? No, unlike the EU. :D
  • Z

Bettel is an idiot.

I expect they think he’ll be gone in very short order. No need to give niceties to someone who has a long history of boorishness who’s heading for the exit.
    A wise head like Ken Clarke might advise this shows the difference in treatment for a leader with a majority vs a leader without one. Where are the wise heads in the cabinet now? Oops.
    RobD said:

nico67 said:

Have they ever done such a thing? No, unlike the EU. :D
    Exactly
    Nigelb said:

I've seen all of those but The Sopranos, and have no real desire to watch that, fine actor that Gandolfini was. And I'm afraid The Wire might now seem slightly dated to someone coming to it for the first time (& is it quite old enough to be 'period' ?).

Considering the abundance now available, it's strange there's so little outside of US/UK output.

People prefer drama in their own language what can I say?

More recent? I thought The Night Of was very good, didn't like so much Mr Robot, Ozark I'm in the middle of and so far so good, while Manhunt:Unabomber was fantastic (but retro!) and have just started Mindhunter in the same vein.

As far as documentaries go, Flint Town was excellent about the Flint police department and, Flint-based also, T-Rex about Claressa Shields was very good.
  • If the tory election strategy is to win former mining towns in the north, how on earth do they expect to campaign in those towns if they cant handle 40 people shouting?
    Nigelb said:

Bettel is an idiot.

It was more than a little foolish. Particularly from the PM of Europe's leading tax haven.

While I might have a great deal of sympathy with the opinions he expressed during his brief harangue, I fail to see why he thought such a press conference would be an appropriate venue for their expression.
    Clearly the EU has had enough and tempers are fraying . The negotiations are a sham .

Anorak said:

Even as a remainiac I think holding the conference with an empty podium was bad form and counter-productive. There has been a very clear narrative of the EU behaving like the adult in the room, and this undermines it to no clear end.

While Hannan and others moan about "provocation", remind me which leader has stopped his civil servants going to meetings, has cut his negotiation team to four, keeps telling people he won't extend despite a law saying he must and is apparently refusing to table already-drafted proposals in some sort of brinkmanship? The bar to becoming or remaining the adult in the room is a low one.

I assume this was a late withdrawal.. and already there were cameras rolling, so taking away the podium would have been equally suboptimal.
    They just given Johnson a PR gift that will play strongly to his nutter base and reinforce that wing of the party. Bad move.
  • NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    The Boris crisis team have all logged on, ready to put out another fire.
    Welcome, guys. I'm off out for the evening, but I look forward to reading Ten Reasons Why Running Away Shows That Boris Is Actually On Top Of This, and plucky fantasies of the Brexit boys heading over to the principality to show them that The Brits Ain't Frit.
    Please @ me in the funniest/most creative examples.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    edited September 2019
    From an IT security point of view this is really interesting to find in the discussion of a legal 0day. White-hat legal hacker finds an exploit, tries to disclose it to privately to the maintainers, sees evidence that the attacker already has it and decides to go ahead and publish his attack code.
    I had been discussing the above privately with trusted MPs and friends. However, because there is circumstantial evidence, set out below, that the PM’s office is aware of this flaw, I am putting it into the public domain in the hope that MPs consider what counter-measures they may wish to take.

https://waitingfortax.com/2019/09/15/the-flaw-in-the-benn-act/
  • nico67 said:

I'm not sure why Angela Merkel would want to hold a press conference in the UK, given that she's not the one about to tank her country's economy.
    TGOHF said:
    I wouldn’t support this against May but Bozo is a pathological liar and so I could care less.
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

More recent? I thought The Night Of was very good, didn't like so much Mr Robot, Ozark I'm in the middle of and so far so good, while Manhunt:Unabomber was fantastic (but retro!) and have just started Mindhunter in the same vein.

As far as documentaries go, Flint Town was excellent about the Flint police department and, Flint-based also, T-Rex about Claressa Shields was very good.
    Working my way through Justified now. Enjoying it very much. On a par with The Shield. Very enjoyable, some wonderful characters, and a relief to have a police show away from the US coastline.
  • Z

Bettel is an idiot.

i know you think that. And i think you (and they) are in for a nasty (for you) surprise.

But even if i didn't it was a boorish, idiotic and self=defeating way to be have.
    nico67 said:

TGOHF said:
    I wouldn’t support this against May but Bozo is a pathological liar and so I could care less.
    You could care less?

*triggered*

nico67 said:

I'm not sure why Angela Merkel would want to hold a press conference in the UK, given that she's not the one about to tank her country's economy.
    Yeah I mean a German leader has never done a press conference in the UK. Bloody hell!

If the tory election strategy is to win former mining towns in the north, how on earth do they expect to campaign in those towns if they cant handle 40 people shouting?

It was a press conference between two heads of state, not a campaign event.
  • nico67 said:

Quite. Good response to an idiotic comment.
    Scott_P said:
    Makes sense he'd keep the infinity stones in Luxembourg, he'd be facing quite a tax bill otherwise.

nico67 said:

That's not really the point.
  • nico67 said:

TGOHF said:
    Exactly, May was a poor PM but admirable and worthy of great respect at the same time. She misunderstood her job, but worked tirelessly and gave more of herself than should be expected to try and deliver what she believed in.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Is Luxenbourg even a country? :D
    Nicholas Soames doesn't like what Bettel did

https://twitter.com/NSoames/status/1173617034300723201?s=20

So the Luxembourg Foolery has succeeded in 1. polarising UK opinion to Boris' advantage. and 2. made the EU look adolescent and spiteful
  • GIN1138 said:

No.
  • Bozo outdone by the PM of Luxembourg. A politician with about as much clout as the Mayor of Hartlepool.

Bozo is a behemoth, bestriding the world stage.
  • nico67 said:

I think you would be wise to move away from the keyboard, lie down for a time and to come back in due course.

Best to be thought an idiot for a while or so than to keep typing and remove all doubt.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,259
    TGOHF said:
    Tbf I think Boris did the sensible thing there, a press conference in those circumstances would have been stupid. I don't think Bettle's behaved very well, and as most of you know I am in no way a supporter of Johnson.

He (Boris) will get a PR boost from this (which is why Bettel was so silly to do it) BUT...

...any Boris boost will be short-lived. Remember May receiving sympathy for being badly treated at an EU conference - how long did that sympathy last?
  • ‪If Johnson cannot negotiate a press conference in Luxembourg, it’s a stretch to think he’ll be able to negotiate a decent trade deal with anyone.‬

nico67 said:

TGOHF said:
    Exactly, May was a poor PM but admirable and worthy of great respect at the same time. She misunderstood her job, but worked tirelessly and gave more of herself than should be expected to try and deliver what she believed in.
    The request to move it inside came at the last minute . There wasn’t enough room for all the press . The BBC Tory shills are desperately trying to spin the story.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,702

Byronic said:
    40 not 400

Johnson is the Incredible Sulk
  • They have noisy demonstrations in Luxembourg? You learn something new every day.
  • Anorak said:

If the tory election strategy is to win former mining towns in the north, how on earth do they expect to campaign in those towns if they cant handle 40 people shouting?

It was a press conference between two heads of state, not a campaign event.
    Boris isn't a Queen :lol:
  • Boris Johnson’s problem is that respect is earned not bestowed. And he hasn’t earned it.
    GIN1138 said:

It’s one with John Bercow syndrome..
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,951

They have noisy demonstrations in Luxembourg? You learn something new every day.

They had to import their demonstrators from the UK.....
  • Z

Bettel is an idiot.

i know you think that. And i think you (and they) are in for a nasty (for you) surprise.

But even if i didn't it was a boorish, idiotic and self=defeating way to be have.
    Boris is so yellow, he should defect to the LibDems :lol:
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,259
    Byronic said:

Nicholas Soames doesn't like what Bettel did

https://twitter.com/NSoames/status/1173617034300723201?s=20

So the Luxembourg Foolery has succeeded in 1. polarising UK opinion to Boris' advantage. and 2. made the EU Luxembourg PM look adolescent and spiteful

FTFY
    Anorak said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Working my way through Justified now. Enjoying it very much. On a par with The Shield. Very enjoyable, some wonderful characters, and a relief to have a police show away from the US coastline.
    Thanks will take a look!

Boris Johnson’s problem is that respect is earned not bestowed. And he hasn’t earned it.

That would be true if he were not Prime Minister

nico67 said:

TGOHF said:
    Except, the EU snubbed TMay, as well. In a more blatant and hurtful way.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2016/dec/15/theresa-may-cuts-a-lonely-figure-at-eu-summit-video

Bettel is in there, too, he's the one slapping backs and being the most obviously unpleasant. What a delightful bunch they are. If only we could Remain with them.

• They have noisy demonstrations in Luxembourg? You learn something new every day.

They had to import their demonstrators from the UK.....
    Ah, that explains it.
  • Brom said:

Boris Johnson’s problem is that respect is earned not bestowed. And he hasn’t earned it.

He was installed in the job. He has yet to prove himself a Prime Minister who commands the confidence of the Commons, and he is doing everything he can to avoid finding out.
  • Brom said:

In most anti no dealers eyes, any respect he gained from becoming PM has already been spent.

Unlike with May, sympathy for this wont cut across the political divide. After all it comes just after he compares himself to the Incredibile Hulk, and now he runs off in a sulk.

TGOHF said:
    Tbf I think Boris did the sensible thing there, a press conference in those circumstances would have been stupid. I don't think Bettle's behaved very well, and as most of you know I am in no way a supporter of Johnson.

He (Boris) will get a PR boost from this (which is why Bettel was so silly to do it) BUT...

...any Boris boost will be short-lived. Remember May receiving sympathy for being badly treated at an EU conference - how long did that sympathy last?
    He should have gone out, a la Alex Chalk the other day, said look if you don't let me speak there's no point in me being here, politely answered some questions which would be drowned out, then turned to Bettel while shrugging his shoulders, mouthed "sorry" to the press, and walked off.

Is what he *should* have done.
  • The serious point about the Luxembourg brouhaha is that the PM of Luxembourg - like the other EU leaders - has no interest in UK public opinion. What matters to him is opinion in Luxembourg. He clearly believes what happened today will work well for him. If he is representative of other EU leader’s Johnson’s chances of getting a deal are close to zero.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,702

He has burned it TBF
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Boris looking like the fool as ever. Fantastic.
  • nico67 said:

nico67 said:

TGOHF said:
    The request to move it inside came at the last minute . There wasn’t enough room for all the press . The BBC Tory shills are desperately trying to spin the story.
    The complaint is more about Bettel's behaviour and idiotic gracelessness at the podium.

Do keep up at the back there...!
  • Byronic said:

nico67 said:

TGOHF said:
    Except, the EU snubbed TMay, as well. In a more blatant and hurtful way.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2016/dec/15/theresa-may-cuts-a-lonely-figure-at-eu-summit-video

Bettel is in there, too, he's the one slapping backs and being the most obviously unpleasant. What a delightful bunch they are. If only we could Remain with them.

May rightfully gained sympathy for that, as she did for having to deal with the lunatics in the ERG.

Politicians cannot expect to divide the country into the pure believers and traitors at home, then be surprised when those they decry as traitors fail to support them abroad!
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    This is just another example of Britain’s stock in the world falling through the floor. They have no respect for us and why would they? We are a laughing stock.
    If you like Bozo you’ll think he was hard done by , if you don’t like him then you’ll think he got what he deserved .
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

As with all things, look to perspective from all sides:

If the decision was correct to avoid the press element of the day, then the 'tough' decision to miss it can earn respect, or you be seen as a coward.

If the decision was to go ahead with the press questions and you are drowned out by a rowdy enthusiastic noisy crowd you either look a fool or earn respect.

It is only as black and white as the previous positions held for most people. Some will be more open minded and treat him with opprobrium / praise (delete as appropriate) for an action they consider to be right / wrong (delete as appropriate)
This discussion has been closed.