Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

124»

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/1162481735436685312

Serious point though. When finally (please please please) Trump is gone, Halley is the one?

No, Mike Pence or Ted Cruz
    Ted Cruz? I always knew HYUFD knew nothing about US politics.
    Is he any better at UK politics
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

G, Just means it gets stuck on buy price up front , makes no difference other than it can be added to mortgage
    So, I paid Stamp Duty when I bought my house, and now they want me to pay again when I sell it. Doubled taxation by the Tory shysters.
    Just hike up the asking price by the appropriate %age. Your purchasers should be fine with that because they can stick the mark up on the mortgage, which they can't do with SD.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,477
    edited August 2019

MattW said:

Ashfield gets more interesting - Zadrozny is back. Really, he had to - there will be no better chance. One for the constituency market if he gets long odds.

I would say he has a decent chance, especially in a snap election. The graph is straight from the Dim Lemming playbook.

https://twitter.com/mattwardman/status/1162609754918785025

I have yet to hear Zadrozny lay out a position on Brexit, but I could have missed it.

I think Gloria has gone now, even for an Oct / Nov election.

Gloria said she was never can say goodbye....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCSvNZWpXaM
    Not this girl, though:

https://www.chad.co.uk/news/politics/ashfield-mp-gloria-de-piero-to-stand-down-before-next-general-election-1-9888999
  • Options
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

G, Just means it gets stuck on buy price up front , makes no difference other than it can be added to mortgage
    So, I paid Stamp Duty when I bought my house, and now they want me to pay again when I sell it. Doubled taxation by the Tory shysters.
    Exactly
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Z, you are a member of the Night Watch and I claim my ticket to Babylon 5.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Freggles said:

RobD said:

Ah, undefined discussion subject.. that old chestnut.

It's a shame because discussion here is always so closely aligned to the thread header :lol:
    Its like a flow chart.

Is thread header about Brexit: If so, closely aligned
    Is thread header not Brexit: If so, not aligned.

Barring talk about sport, wine, restaurants, travel, books and US politics of course.
    We've not had a good chat about who has the most diamond studded air miles for a while.
    Nor the best christmas movies and live bands.
    So, flying to Dubai on moon-rock sprinkled air miles in mid December, eating a Hawaiian whilst watching Die Hard and listening to Radiohead on Shure earbuds would be the perfect PB smugfest?
    Trains... must have trains...
    I am on a train. There is a couple (two males) with a young baby who is making gurgling, squealing, and other prevocalisations. Go on, guess who they sat next to. One guess... :(
    Should be embarking on my Fourth Scottish Expedition next week, based in Glasgow.
    I have been to Glasgow. It's not as much fun as you think... :(
    You are obviously a boring barsteward then
    I've only been to Glasgow a handful of times, and only once as a tourist, as part of a walking trip. I freely admit it is surprisingly wonderful in places, e.g. the walk by the River Kelvin, or the Clyde waterfront. True, they're only small parts of the city, but I wish I had similar places near to me.

It'll never beat Edinburgh for my affections though.
    Lot of lovely buildings in the centre as well, beautiful museums all free and the shopping is supposed to be second only to London. I am not there often nowadays but it is a real nice city.
    I spent two weeks working there. Not as obvious as Edinburgh but a fun place when you find your way around. They've got a documentary following the Glasgow police on TV at the moment. Quite difficult to understand the accent
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Freggles said:

RobD said:

It's a shame because discussion here is always so closely aligned to the thread header :lol:
    SNIP
    We've not had a good chat about who has the most diamond studded air miles for a while.
    So, flying to Dubai on moon-rock sprinkled air miles in mid December, eating a Hawaiian whilst watching Die Hard and listening to Radiohead on Shure earbuds would be the perfect PB smugfest?
    I am on a train. There is a couple (two males) with a young baby who is making gurgling, squealing, and other prevocalisations. Go on, guess who they sat next to. One guess... :(
    Should be embarking on my Fourth Scottish Expedition next week, based in Glasgow.
    I've only been to Glasgow a handful of times, and only once as a tourist, as part of a walking trip. I freely admit it is surprisingly wonderful in places, e.g. the walk by the River Kelvin, or the Clyde waterfront. True, they're only small parts of the city, but I wish I had similar places near to me.

It'll never beat Edinburgh for my affections though.
    Lot of lovely buildings in the centre as well, beautiful museums all free and the shopping is supposed to be second only to London. I am not there often nowadays but it is a real nice city.
    I spent two weeks working there. Not as obvious as Edinburgh but a fun place when you find your way around. They've got a documentary following the Glasgow police on TV at the moment. Quite difficult to understand the accent
    Lot less tourists as well, especially at this time of year. Lots of of great restaurants ,pubs , clubs etc. Edinburgh is very picturesque though, as you say very obvious with castle etc.
    PS: Some of the accents can be very broad and take time to pick up. Bit softer down here in the country/seaside.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Freggles said:

RobD said:

Its like a flow chart.

Barring talk about sport, wine, restaurants, travel, books and US politics of course.
    I spent one Hogmanay weekend in the Holiday Inn Express at Motherwell.

An experience not to be forgotten or repeated.
  • Options
    What's this "on topic" thing?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    What's the rationale behind switching Stamp Duty?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Presumably to reduce costs on those moving up the ladder. Of course, it adds costs to those wanting to move down the ladder.

Once again politicians are treating the symptom and not the cause.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    MattW said:

What's this "on topic" thing?

Basically, any comment that's vaguely interesting or intelligent is off topic, and the button is used to show we should all go back to arguing about Brexit.
  • Options
    MattW said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Freggles said:

RobD said:

Its like a flow chart.

I spent one Hogmanay weekend in the Holiday Inn Express at Motherwell.

An experience not to be forgotten or repeated.
    Hmmm, not what I would recommend to many. I went to college in Motherwell in the 70's. I used to do a week in Motherwell, a week in Edinburgh and a week at home. It was always a steel town , presume it will be same today but no steelworks. Have not been back since 1973/74.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Yes, the Labour payroll clearly won’t give confidence to anyone but Corbyn and there’s a few others who will abstain in the initial VONC or even vote for Boris, and then vote against a GONU in any subsequent vote.

When it comes in Sept, the VONC will be the mother of all virtue signalling exercises but it will be amusing to see how many Tory Remainers self immolate for no end result. Go on Phil, you know you want to.

The 50 number wasn't the payroll vote, it was regular MPs in leave-voting seats. It seems like a lot to me, but Nick Palmer knows his Labour MPs.

If Corbyn says no to everything except himself then I'm not sure it'll even get to the VONC stage.
    Corbyn has never tried to stop No Deal. Every slow and grudging action has had to be prised out of him. This lack of effective opposition is why we are in the shit state of Bozo and co.
    It would be quite fun to see Corbyn come over all David Lammy.

"Somebody has made the night sky black. It's an outrageous racist plot by the white supremacy."

(Currently trying to find a new penknife, and very, very confused.)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Presumably to reduce costs on those moving up the ladder. Of course, it adds costs to those wanting to move down the ladder.

Amazing, that.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Good morning, everyone.

I like undefined discussion subjects.

Good morning.

I have reported your post for being off topic.
    I have reported your post for being off topic B)
    This way lies madness...
    Isn't that a band? Are they doing a gig somewhere?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Those moving down the ladder are generally realising a profit and reducing their costs as they do. Those moving onto or up the ladder are generally increasing their costs when they do so and are struggling to save up a deposit up front already without having to get stamp duty up front too.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    edited August 2019
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

What's the rationale behind switching Stamp
    Duty?

Amazing, that.
    On R4 this morning it was suggested this story started because someone asked Sajid if he "would consider" it, and he said he would look at all options. Journalism has turned this into an imminent government proposal.

At most, this is the old trick of floating something in the media to see if it will fly.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

And so, Brexit begins the break-up of the UK.

The Little Englanders will be dancing in the streets

https://twitter.com/scotnational/status/1162307260766478336?s=21

Only 46% of Scots back independence including Don't Knows in the latest poll despite Brexit
    Yes and they started at under 20% last time, so your point is?
    Easy one Malcy. The Jocks don't want independence.
    It'd be great! I'd get my Scottish/EU passport in a blink. I don't know how you get Scottish citizenship-buy a little cottage in Penon I guess-and Boris and his proto fascists can do their worst! And you can stick your Priti Patel up your ar....
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    Glasgow Museum of Modern Art - my best experience of Modern Art anywhere. We were in a gallery watching three or four staff moving a large blue globe with hundreds of mini figures on it from a trolley on to a glass table.

As the weight was transferred to the table the glass went opaque and shattered dropping the globe on to the floor - shattering into thousands of pieces.

Sorry but was very, very funny. Only witnessed by about six people in the gallery.
  • Options
    It is entirely logical stamp duty should be paid by the seller, who is making a profit in the sale and not the purchaser who is already burdened by needing a deposit. If the seller increases the sale price by the amount of the tax [as they likely will], then the mortgage will cover almost all of that.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    Morning.

I see that @HYUFD is back to talking utter nonsense about Berlusconi and Italian politics again. Five words to him: Bettino Craxi, Operazione Mani Pulite.

I like Glasgow: have been there a few times.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,953

It is entirely logical stamp duty should be paid by the seller, who is making a profit in the sale and not the purchaser who is already burdened by needing a deposit. If the seller increases the sale price by the amount of the tax [as they likely will], then the mortgage will cover almost all of that.

I thought you studied economics?

It doesn't matter whether it is paid by the borrower or the seller.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

It will be so they can reduce the threshold to have it charged on more transactions, but not be seen to be making things more difficult for first-time buyers.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Icarus said:

Glasgow Museum of Modern Art - my best experience of Modern Art anywhere. We were in a gallery watching three or four staff moving a large blue globe with hundreds of mini figures on it from a trolley on to a glass table.

As the weight was transferred to the table the glass went opaque and shattered dropping the globe on to the floor - shattering into thousands of pieces.

Sorry but was very, very funny. Only witnessed by about six people in the gallery.

You were probably watching an installation!
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Glasgow is my favourite U.K. city.
    Anyone who can’t have fun there is probably already dead.

RIP, the old Clutha Vaults.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    I paid the most tax I’ve ever paid in my life when I bought my house a few years ago.

Now I need to pay it again if I sell?

Fuck right off.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256

I paid the most tax I’ve ever paid in my life when I bought my house a few years ago.

Now I need to pay it again if I sell?

Fuck right off.

Assuming you are going to live somewhere else, you'd have paid anyway. The real extra cost only arises on death.
This discussion has been closed.