Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters give the Tories a 67% chance of winning most seats but

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

An October/November election with Brexit in the bag, one way or another, leaves the following:

I am increasingly confident that Brexit will not be 'in the bag' this autumn

However much HYUFD jumps up and down, Parliament isn't going to let it happen. I suspect Cummings & Co know this too and they're deliberately stoking the fire, preparing for an Us vs Them vote. (Which is the kind of language Cummings speaks.)

The only way an Oct 31st Brexit would have occurred was a modified May deal. Johnson has chosen to throw that out the window and set down his own red lines.
    Which cannot be met. It's quite transparent and irritating as they are going for a GE while pretending that is not the intention.
    Actually the only Brexit solution to have got a majority in the Commons is not May's Withdrawal Agreement as is, not Norway Plus, not Deal plus Customs Union, not EUref2 and not No Deal (all of which were voted down by MPs) but the Brady amendment ie the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop.

Thus Boris is trying to get the only Deal Parliament will support in its current form
    Excellent point. I doubt the remainiacs will care though - they'll keep shouting as usual
    Indeed despite the fact the Brady amendment passed by 317 votes to 301
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677

If the government does not change, there are significant procedural issues that could prevent a majority in parliament from passing primary legislation in time to mandate an extension (or revocation). There may well be a majority of members of parliament against no deal, but that does not matter unless the majority can be converted into effective action.

https://www.ft.com/content/b58491f8-be8c-11e9-b350-db00d509634e

Such fresh new analysis!
    Trying to be helpful for the hard of thinking.....MPs will stop it! How? Things! Stuff! Motions! - You'll see!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

An October/November election with Brexit in the bag, one way or another, leaves the following:

However much HYUFD jumps up and down, Parliament isn't going to let it happen. I suspect Cummings & Co know this too and they're deliberately stoking the fire, preparing for an Us vs Them vote. (Which is the kind of language Cummings speaks.)

The only way an Oct 31st Brexit would have occurred was a modified May deal. Johnson has chosen to throw that out the window and set down his own red lines.
    Which cannot be met. It's quite transparent and irritating as they are going for a GE while pretending that is not the intention.
    Actually the only Brexit solution to have got a majority in the Commons is not May's Withdrawal Agreement as is, not Norway Plus, not Deal plus Customs Union, not EUref2 and not No Deal (all of which were voted down by MPs) but the Brady amendment ie the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop.

Thus Boris is trying to get the only Deal Parliament will support in its current form
    Excellent point. I doubt the remainiacs will care though - they'll keep shouting as usual
    Get a room, you two.
    It's nowhere near the watershed yet.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

"none of that is happening"

Con +5
    Brexit -5

hmmmmm
    But the Brexit Party are still at majority destroying levels. HYUFD's strategy isn't working yet.
  • Options
    Big man Sam Cosgrove out injured for tomorrows pittordie clash. Pretty disastrous news.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    But still the finality of a potential departure is not fully recognised. The airlock door will slam shut on the astronaut and there is no easy way back into the spacecraft.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Recidivist, if their numbers hold up.

Faragian parties have a history of failing phenomenally at FPTP elections.

Ironically, if we had a PR style as many pro-EU types want, we likely would've have UKIP in government recently.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited August 2019
    'K'nell. Back to the discussion of A levels earlier. The Beeb says that:
    'Details of A-level grade boundaries for all papers set by two exam boards have been leaked on social media a day before the results are published.
    The documents reveal that A-level maths candidates needed little more than half marks to get a grade A in papers set by both Pearson/Edexcel and OCR.'

Granddaughter-in-law teaches A level students. What the hell is she to make of all this.
    Grandson 2 is about to start his A level years; he's doing largely essay subjects (History, Philosophy). What the (expletive deleted) are he and his parents likely to make of this sort of thing?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Bernie showing a little upward movement in the latest polls (National & S Carolina).

But in Iowa he's fourth and just a smidgen above Buttigieg.

The big issue for Bernie is that he's largely fishing in the same pool as Elizabeth Warren, and she's been a lot more impressive than he has.
    Except that he is also to some extent (and counterintuitively) fishing in the same pool as Biden. And he hasn't, recently.
    True; there's a certain type of person who wants a geriatric incontinent candidate to face Trump.
    Well known white male. The rest is just a bonus.
  • Options

Con +5
    Brexit -5

hmmmmm
    But the Brexit Party are still at majority destroying levels. HYUFD's strategy isn't working yet.
    It has worked to ensure the Tories will now get most seats, unlike with May post extension, needs a bit more to get a Tory majority agreed (though Yougov gives that too)
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Pro_Rata said:

I am just in Northern Ireland for a short holiday. I was surprised outside Belfast International Airport at an English bloke who looked shit scared when he asked for information on buses! He came to he right person as i have strategically planned my break in NI to include the cheapest travel to Giants Causeway and Londonderry and back to Belfast in a day! I like NI it reminds me of Kent, Sussex and the like. It is interesting seeing the UK and Irish flags around NI. It is nice to see a place proud of the Uk rather than discussing exit. So far so good! I hope NI and Scotland choose to stay in the UK despite Brexit!

Did that round trip with 2 Italians around 1998. We hired a car last minute: relative to GB at the time there seemed to be surprisingly little in security checks to sign the car out. As designated driver on return,, I parked outside that National Trust pub just a lfew hundred yards down from the Europa. By evening's end it was the only car on the whole street, at which I had a significant "holy shit" moment, imagining I had narrowly missed having the hire car somehow destroyed in a controlled explosion.

Dura Ace probably has a far hairier story, but that was quite enough for me!
    We went to The Moy in Co. Tyrone in summer 1999 to research my wife's family. We went by public transport which required switching from train to bus at Portadown. We managed to chose the morning of a loyalist march later that day so there were RUC stationed outside of every other shop on the High Street. Our bus took us past that RC church that was the centre of other disturbances in Portadown and it had a British Army armoured car and a platoon of squaddies with rifles guarding it.

I was, frankly, terrified until we reached our B&B at The Moy, but my wife wasn't much phased. As she said it, armed police were routine for her, but I'd never seen them before apart from a couple of times visiting her in Philly.

Just to complete the story, our B&B hosts told us we should seek out the local retired dairyman who would have known my wife's family back in the day. Serendipitously we did find him, and he drove us over to the next village where her great-grandparents were buried, under a huge Celtic cross gravestone "Erected by their children", all of whom had emigrated to the USA and clearly wanted to show the folks back home how well they had done there!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Mr. Recidivist, if their numbers hold up.

Faragian parties have a history of failing phenomenally at FPTP elections.

Ironically, if we had a PR style as many pro-EU types want, we likely would've have UKIP in government recently.

Faragian parties have a knack of taking votes away from the tories. While they don't win seats, they cause the Tories not to win seats. :p
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited August 2019
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Johnson's chief "negotiator" was sent to Brussels where he was asked "hypothetically", whether the removal of the backstop whilst leaving all other things the same would pass the House of Commons. The answer he gave them was "no".

So the idea that Johnson is seeking to get the EU to simply agree to remove the backstop from the WA is nonsense.

Because apparently they want all sorts of other things changing as well - probably because they know that a significant number of "no deal" MPs only supported the Brady amendment knowing it wouldn't get anywhere and would simply waste another couple of months (whilst they would simultaneously get to portray themselves as 'reasonable' against the instransigents on the other side).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited August 2019

That poll has the Con/BP changes balancing but 3 points left to be accounted for in the Lab/LD balance. More support for the SNP?

Could easily be rounding - for example Labour and the BXP are down just over 4.5% each and the Tories up nearly 5.5% and the LibDems nearly 2.5%. With the other 1% being fractional changes in Green, SNP, PC and UKIP.
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Johnson's chief "negotiator" was sent to Brussels where he was asked "hypothetically", whether the removal of the backstop whilst leaving all other things the same would pass the House of Commons. The answer he gave them was "no".

So the idea that Johnson is seeking to get the EU to simply agree to remove the backstop from the WA is nonsense.
    It's the starting point for renegotiations. The EU is saying non.

C'est la vie

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.156586178

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

'Details of A-level grade boundaries for all papers set by two exam boards have been leaked on social media a day before the results are published.
    The documents reveal that A-level maths candidates needed little more than half marks to get a grade A in papers set by both Pearson/Edexcel and OCR.'

Granddaughter-in-law teaches A level students. What the hell is she to make of all this.
    Grandson 2 is about to start his A level years; he's doing largely essay subjects (History, Philosophy). What the (expletive deleted) are he and his parents likely to make of this sort of thing?

They should be more worried about this. As I am, especially having had a very grim experience of their inconsistency and lack of rigour while marking myself this year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/revealed-a-level-results-are-48-wrong-xsj33jvnh

And that is hardly surprising when in my experience the Chief Examiners are all at sea. Although that will vary from subject to subject and board to board.
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Because apparently they want all sorts of other things changing as well - probably because they know that a significant number of "no deal" MPs only supported the Brady amendment knowing it wouldn't get anywhere and would simply waste another couple of months (whilst they would simultaneously get to portray themselves as 'reasonable' against the instransigents on the other side).
    Johnson is a publicity seeking wazzock, whom once upon a time, would have found himself entering the Tower through Traitors Gate with little prospect of live exit!
  • Options
    Surely his aides tweeted that yesterday?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

That poll has the Con/BP changes balancing but 3 points left to be accounted for in the Lab/LD balance. More support for the SNP?

Could easily be rounding - for example Labour and the BXP are down just over 4.5% each and the Tories up nearly 5.5% and the LibDems nearly 2.5%. With the other 1% being fractional changes in Green, SNP, PC and UKIP.
    No - it's Other parties which are +2 (I think it's UKIP)

I posted a link
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

C'est la vie

The EU is asking what is the basis of negotiations if nothing can get through Parliament.

And the purpose of the extension in the EU's eyes was to ensure they got a Parliament that could make a decision, not a new leader who has even less chance of getting things agreed.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

IanB2 said:

I posted a link
    A surge for Dick Braine?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    A transparent attempt to try to head off the obvious attraction of revoke, or PV and revoke, of killing Brexit, compared to the sad reality of Bozo’s plan where we really will be arguing about Brexit for years to come.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

They should be more worried about this. As I am, especially having had a very grim experience of their inconsistency and lack of rigour while marking myself this year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/revealed-a-level-results-are-48-wrong-xsj33jvnh

And that is hardly surprising when in my experience the Chief Examiners are all at sea. Although that will vary from subject to subject and board to board.
    Understand. Eldest granddaughter spent one summer marking Psychology A Levels. She won't do it again!
  • Options
    eek said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

C'est la vie

The EU is asking what is the basis of negotiations if nothing can get through Parliament.

And the purpose of the extension in the EU's eyes was to ensure they got a Parliament that could make a decision, not a new leader who has even less chance of getting things agreed.
    Whatever - we're crashing out on no-deal because the EU is being stubborn.

Stock up on canned goods.
  • Options

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

C'est la vie

If it's the starting point for negotations then it's not the final destination! So basically Johnson want the EU to concede even more!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Surely his aides tweeted that yesterday?
    It's time stamped 15 minutes ago...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

eek said:

Con +5
    Brexit -5

hmmmmm
    If Boris hasn't got that 15% of Brexit votes now, he definitely isn't going to get them when his plans start falling apart.
    And a fair number of them are ex-Labour voters who would not vote Tory in any circumstances.
    You're still locked in the old politics.....

We have Tory MPs in Stoke and Mansfield. Just let that sink in....

And that is without two subsequent years of Labour dicking about over Brexit.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Hang one. Didn't he do that one the other day? Wonder if someone's moved the bookmark a few pages back to trick the intern.
  • Options
    alex. said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

C'est la vie

If it's the starting point for negotations then it's not the final destination! So basically Johnson want the EU to concede even more!
    Who's side are you on? Obviously (us true brits at least) want it to be the EU side that's conceding.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Johnson is getting increasingly desperate to find somebody who is prepared to take action to stop him being forced to leave on October 31st! He even sent his Justice Secretary out the other day to brief that no deal would be "chaos" and nobody took any notice!

Parliament should pro-rogue itself and see how he responds!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    HYUFD said:

Unless the Republicans regain the House of Representatives next November, though Boris has said he will not impose a hard border in Ireland anyway

https://twitter.com/BBCJonSopel/status/1161667842506448896
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Understand. Eldest granddaughter spent one summer marking Psychology A Levels. She won't do it again!
    Well, I certainly won't work for that exam board again after the bastards have failed to pay me just because I dared to point out that the principal examiner had sent me four different instructions all of which contradicted each other.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

I posted a link
    A surge for Dick Braine?
    Apparently so
  • Options

Hang one. Didn't he do that one the other day? Wonder if someone's moved the bookmark a few pages back to trick the intern.
    https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1161317988961853440

was yesterday

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1160891362583166976
    was Monday
  • Options

eek said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

C'est la vie

Nope we are crashing out because Boris is an idiot.

Now personally it really, really doesn't bother me (income comes from Europe and my industry is in a boom which I'm working to make my company a key part of) but for a lot of people it's going to be a problem.
  • Options

alex. said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

C'est la vie

Who's side are you on? Obviously (us true brits at least) want it to be the EU side that's conceding.
    I would like the EU to concede that we can stay in the Single Market and Customs Union, whilst allowing us to agree our own trade deals, the EU to agree to pay us money for access to the UK market, and a veto on any further integration measures that they would like to take that might impede on our interests.

Happy?

• Options
    eek said:

was yesterday

was Monday
    Why is the same post being repeated? Is he so dumb he can't think of a new one?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

He is going for something that the EU won't go for. It's a facade.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

kle4 said:

eek said:

Con +5
    Brexit -5

hmmmmm
    If Boris hasn't got that 15% of Brexit votes now, he definitely isn't going to get them when his plans start falling apart.
    Oh I don't know.

Personally I just class Brexit Party as a fun vote for '19 Euros - can see them collapsing.
    Yes, but how much? Where they stand and how much they get could swing the outcome of the election with just a few percent.
    Well UKIP peaked at 13pc in GE and Dave still got his majority so maybe not as consequential as you think
    I'm not saying it would be enough to prevent the Tories, just that it has the potential.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

was yesterday

was Monday
    Isn't it the trump approach of if you say something often enough some people will believe it is true...
  • Options
    alex. said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

C'est la vie

I would like the EU to concede that we can stay in the Single Market and Customs Union, whilst allowing us to agree our own trade deals, the EU to agree to pay us money for access to the UK market, and a veto on any further integration measures that they would like to take that might impede on our interests.

Happy?

You sound a bit confused. Like this stuff is getting to you.

• Options
    alex. said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

C'est la vie

Happy?

Cake? And eat it?
  • Options

alex. said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

C'est la vie

Happy?

Cake? And eat it?
    Won't eat it. I'm on a diet ;)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited August 2019
    eek said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

C'est la vie

guess they should have negotiated better

now they have no deal
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

was yesterday

was Monday
    Strong and Stable
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    eek said:

eek said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

C'est la vie

Nope we are crashing out because Boris is an idiot.

Now personally it really, really doesn't bother me (income comes from Europe and my industry is in a boom which I'm working to make my company a key part of) but for a lot of people it's going to be a problem.
    I don't worry too much about the effect of Brexit on me personally either. If you are small and flexible as a business there will be opportunities. The people who will suffer most will be those that are older and have a limited skill set.

Anyone got any demographics on leave voters?
  • Options
    That's Anne Main isn't it? Wasn't she one of the expenses scoundrels who brazened it out?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    alex. said:

What's the source for that?

Because if true, it's pretty poor behaviour by Johnson.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    New thread.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Anecdote, I reckon tourism must be doing well in London, my friend has taken her son to London today and cannot do anything as the standard tourist sites are sold out or full up.

Of course - Brexit is making the Pound slump so foreign currencies buy more Pounds.

It is the Brexit Benefit - lots of forriners coming here and stopping the residents from using the facilities

:D:D:D
    Actually I think the figures for tourists in the UK this year are down, the low level of the £ notwithstanding. Foreigners seem to have decided that the UK doesn't like them - can't think where they got that idea.

https://www.visitbritain.org/latest-monthly-data-1
    Those figures are rather old (March), but still kind of disturbing. In the latest month on which data is available, foreign tourist spend was down 8% year-over-year.

If the World Economic Slowdown (WES) continues, then tourism is going to be hit hard everywhere.

(Which is not going to be good for Spain, Portugal, Italy or Greece. Or Mexico.)
    But how much of that 8% has been made up by domestic staycations rather than going abroad?
    No idea - is there any evidence that staycations are up this year? You might expect that given the dire state of the £ but I've not seen any data.
    I think it will be hard to tell until the end of the Summer holiday period, as there simply aren't that many holidays taken in the first third of this year.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435

That's Anne Main isn't it? Wasn't she one of the expenses scoundrels who brazened it out?
    She lived in Beaconsfield. Had a second home paid for as a mp in St Albans which her daughter lived in.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    rcs1000 said:

alex. said:

Ya think?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

alex. said:

Ya think?
    Yes because in reality it's Boris saying negotiations are completely pointless.
  • Options

6,000 majority...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Main

Lovely (probably apocryphal story) about the South Angus Tory MP Jock Bruce-Gardyn who after losing to the SNP was elected in Knutsford - an Angus farmer visiting Knutsford asked what his majority was - on being told nodded and said 'Aye, it'll no be enough for Jock' I doubt 6,000 will be enough for Anne.....
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

If the government does not change, there are significant procedural issues that could prevent a majority in parliament from passing primary legislation in time to mandate an extension (or revocation). There may well be a majority of members of parliament against no deal, but that does not matter unless the majority can be converted into effective action.

Such fresh new analysis!
    Trying to be helpful for the hard of thinking.....MPs will stop it! How? Things! Stuff! Motions! - You'll see!
    Wasn't really criticising you, more the papers for finding different ways to say "eh, who knows?" all summer
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

alex. said:

It's almost as if - oooh, I dunno - he is deliberately lying in order to follow a policy of "failing and blaming" as a vehicle for electoral success against a split opposition, regardless of the cost to the economy. If only you spent time on an internet site in which people had been pointing that out to you... :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

New thread.

Oh godsdammit! Aaargh!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Bernie showing a little upward movement in the latest polls (National & S Carolina).

But in Iowa he's fourth and just a smidgen above Buttigieg.

The big issue for Bernie is that he's largely fishing in the same pool as Elizabeth Warren, and she's been a lot more impressive than he has.
    Except that he is also to some extent (and counterintuitively) fishing in the same pool as Biden. And he hasn't, recently.
    True; there's a certain type of person who wants a geriatric incontinent candidate to face Trump.
    Biden is showing his age a hell of a lot more than Bernie.

Out of interest what makes you say Warren has been more impressive?
    Also according to 270towin, he's third in Iowa, 4% below Warren. Where do you get fourth?
    Monmouth University, 1-4 August, Sanders 9% in fourth. (Which is the latest poll, and is A-rated by 538)

Firehouse Strategies, 23-25 July, Sanders 11% in fourth. (Which is the second most recent poll)

Now, earlier polls show better results for Sanders, but those numbers would likely see him leave Iowa will very few delegates.

Most concerning for Sanders will be his poor "net approval" rating among Iowa Democrats. Here they are folks...
    Elizabeth Warren  +62
    Pete Buttigieg +57
    Joe Biden +54
    Kamala Harris +49
    Cory Booker +40
    Julián Castro +34
    Amy Klobuchar +33
    Bernie Sanders +25
    Beto O’Rourke +19
  • Options

6,000 majority...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Main

Lovely (probably apocryphal story) about the South Angus Tory MP Jock Bruce-Gardyn who after losing to the SNP was elected in Knutsford - an Angus farmer visiting Knutsford asked what his majority was - on being told nodded and said 'Aye, it'll no be enough for Jock' I doubt 6,000 will be enough for Anne.....
    Luvvit!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Anecdote, I reckon tourism must be doing well in London, my friend has taken her son to London today and cannot do anything as the standard tourist sites are sold out or full up.

Of course - Brexit is making the Pound slump so foreign currencies buy more Pounds.

It is the Brexit Benefit - lots of forriners coming here and stopping the residents from using the facilities

:D:D:D
    Actually I think the figures for tourists in the UK this year are down, the low level of the £ notwithstanding. Foreigners seem to have decided that the UK doesn't like them - can't think where they got that idea.

https://www.visitbritain.org/latest-monthly-data-1
    Those figures are rather old (March), but still kind of disturbing. In the latest month on which data is available, foreign tourist spend was down 8% year-over-year.

If the World Economic Slowdown (WES) continues, then tourism is going to be hit hard everywhere.

(Which is not going to be good for Spain, Portugal, Italy or Greece. Or Mexico.)
    But how much of that 8% has been made up by domestic staycations rather than going abroad?
    No idea - is there any evidence that staycations are up this year? You might expect that given the dire state of the £ but I've not seen any data.
    I think it will be hard to tell until the end of the Summer holiday period, as there simply aren't that many holidays taken in the first third of this year.
    Winchcombe is full of Americans. It must feel to them like everything is free.
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Boris voted for the Withdrawal Agreement at MV3 and for the Brady amendment, the Brady amendment passed even despite some ERG hardliners like Redwood voting against it
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Unless the Republicans regain the House of Representatives next November, though Boris has said he will not impose a hard border in Ireland anyway

https://twitter.com/BBCJonSopel/status/1161667842506448896
    Pete King is a rare GOP New York Congressman who in 2016 said Trump was 'not fit morally or intellectually to be President.' He is not a typical Republican
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

Big man Sam Cosgrove out injured for tomorrows pittordie clash. Pretty disastrous news.

They are useless anyway, be lucky to get 3rd place this year
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    My question remains how can a government involving Labour appoint anyone other than Corbyn as PM, given the Labour rulebook, because it is not clear to me that such a thing is possible...
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Chris said:

Pro_Rata said:

Chris said:

Pro_Rata said:

Are there any Labour party rules that prevent someone other than party leader becoming PM? I do seem to recall something, but the details are misty.

Probably not, as the current prime minister, Mr Johnson, is not the leader of the Labour party.
    Drat your pedantry! Such a rule would sit well with the communism though.

OK. Are there any internal Labour party rules that prevent a Labour figure other than the leader becoming PM?
    I should love to become a professional pedant, but I think there would be too much competition.
    Answering my own question, it is not mandated but taken as read that the Labour Leader in government would become PM. Coalition demands that leader should not become PM or that Labour could one day be a minor coalition partner, are not considered:

1.VII.1.A.viii When the party is in government, the Leader shall appoint the cabinet and all other front bench positions in their capacity as Prime Minister.

4.II.2.E.i When the party is in government and the Party Leader is prime minister and, for whatever reason, becomes permanently unavailable, the Cabinet shall...appoint one of its members to serve as party leader until a ballot....can be carried out.

Given a Cabinet is needed, it is unclear at what point Corbyn would be able, should the need or want arise, to declare himself permanently unavailable in the event of government formation.
    A Corbyn resignation / unavailability would have to be prior to government, in which case Watson would assume and become PM.

No mechanism I can see for my pet theory that Corbyn might parachute in Long-Bailey.
This discussion has been closed.