Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters give the Tories a 67% chance of winning most seats but

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Scott_P said:
    How can the finances of something that the Government isn't paying for be the Government's concern?
    Whose money is it ? Is Heathrow 3 definitely, definitely going ahead ? When is the first spade due in the ground on it ? Are there legal challenges against it and whats it cost thus far to the taxpayer ?
    Heathrow will be paying for the expension of Heathrow - it's a private company who is currently investing the money and taking the risk
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited August 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Good for Johnson, but something for everyone there I suppose.

Edit : Con +5, Lab -5, LD +2, BREX -5

Well, not much for Corbyn or Farage !
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,402

kjh said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

It looks like the responses from the LDs here since that post (not scientific), that my gut is not doing a bad job.

True.

As a different way of approaching the question, to take individual voting intentions out of it -

The morning after this Oct 'Brexit' election, which of the 2 realistic PM outcomes would PB LDs most like (or least hate) to see - PM Johnson or PM Corbyn?
    That is an excellent question. It is also relevant that I do not sit in a LAB/CON marginal so I can't judge what I would do objectively.

And here is the rub answering your question: I really strongly object to both as PM. I'm not sure that has ever happened to me before.
    Sorry that answer was useless. Hopefully others can do better
    So I wouldn't call myself a lib dem although I am currently voting for them. Was a life long Tory but currently disappear at this government.

If a gun was to my head then I would still take Johnson over Corbyn.

While Johnson's current Brexit policy will be a disaster, I don't think Corbyns would be too different. He is desperate to leave the EU as well. But ontop of that his policies would be a death blow to the economy from small companies to the banking sector. Worst case scenario is No Deal Brexit followed by Corbyn becoming PM.
    To coin a phrase, Corbyn will always be disaffected Tories' backstop. Whatever the hell Johnson does it will not be as cataclysmic as a Corbyn government but yes, would need a gun to the head. Or a general election, obvs.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Pulpstar said:

Get borrowing for transport infrastructure, HS2,3 and 4:

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1161583201963393024

Could this potentially transfer over to mortgage market inversion (5 year fixes heading south of two year for instance ?)
    See my comment from last night. There is a distinct slow down in progress...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited August 2019
    Pulpstar said:

I think Lab rule as a minority and dare the others to bring them down ?

That sounds plausible. I guess it leaves him in office but very limited in his ability to set fire to things, No Deal Brexit excepted.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    Corbynista panic that ‘Gold Standard’ Survation shows this...

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1161592121553555457?s=21
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Not for the SNP stuck on 4 per cent. Pollsters should think about how best to present national results. It is a pound to a penny the SNP on 4% will get more seats than BXP (15%) and LDs (25%) combined.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669
    kinabalu said:

OllyT said:

I commented forth down the threat that you could put me down as a possible and I do live in a Con/Lab marginal. Made easier because the current MP is pro-EU

:smile:

Wahay! Things are moving in the right direction.
    My 'like' was not because I necessarily agreed but because you made me laugh.

Going by my posts today I appear incapable of agreeing to anything.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Just like ex-pat leavers with no deal, ex-pats have the luxury of seeking to impose Jeremy Corbyn upon us without ever needing to experience it in real life.

I of course respect @edmundintokyo's view but the general point still stands.

Also true, although it's not really clear who comes out as PM from any Lab performance short of Lab maj.
    Worked for SNP I believe back in 2007.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

That sounds plausible. I guess it leaves him in office but very limited in his ability to set fire to things, No Deal Brexit excepted.
    Difficult to govern as a minority when you have less than 200 seats...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,316

Well right. Also not everybody knows who their incumbent is, running the right donkey only gets you so far if it's wearing the wrong rosette.

Yes. I would guess that only a small minority of voters go by candidate rather than party (or party leader).

Shame in some ways.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

It looks like the responses from the LDs here since that post (not scientific), that my gut is not doing a bad job.

True.

As a different way of approaching the question, to take individual voting intentions out of it -

The morning after this Oct 'Brexit' election, which of the 2 realistic PM outcomes would PB LDs most like (or least hate) to see - PM Johnson or PM Corbyn?
    Hard to differentiate between two equally illiberal, economically catastrophic and fundamentally unBritish disasters.

But I'd happily settle for the option far likelier than either. That on the morning after an election Labour led by Corbyn emerges with most seats, but short of a majority over Tory+DUP+one or two (if any) BrexitParty members. So Swanson & Sturgeon offer support for Labour - if & only if Corbyn resigns.

Whether that leads to a GNU or a nominally Labour (under, say, Starmer) government is secondary.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Pulpstar said:

I'm not sure you're following the discussion there...
  • Options
    Flanner said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

True.

Hard to differentiate between two equally illiberal, economically catastrophic and fundamentally unBritish disasters.

But I'd happily settle for the option far likelier than either. That on the morning after an election Labour led by Corbyn emerges with most seats, but short of a majority over Tory+DUP+one or two (if any) BrexitParty members. So Swanson & Sturgeon offer support for Labour - if & only if Corbyn resigns.

Whether that leads to a GNU or a nominally Labour (under, say, Starmer) government is secondary.
    Corbyn has the hide of a rhino, he won't resign just because Swinson has asked nicely.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Edit : Con +5, Lab -5, LD +2, BREX -5

Well, not much for Corbyn or Farage !
    The country is doomed if that is the result
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

Looks to me from the chart as if BoJo is going to win....

There soon will be an election.....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,686
    If Heathrow R3 is cancelled it gets Bozo out of a hole with his fake promise to lie down in from of the bulldozers.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Difficult to see anything other than PM Boris if Labour are on less than 200. A 25% swing is needed for the Lib Dems to take 12 seats off Labour.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Difficult to see anything other than PM Boris if Labour are on less than 200. A 25% swing is needed for the Lib Dems to take 12 seats off Labour.
    If the LibDems are 20%+ then they will get 25% swings.

I think they are likely to win 80-100 seats on those figures, with Con largest party and Lab ~220 so potentially ungovernable.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    The intense speculation about a hung Parliament that we're seeing at the moment reminds me of the period on this site before GE2015.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Scott_P said:
    The truth of the matter is that politicians don't need the media anymore. They can get their message out there without the accountability.

Why go on Channel 4 or the Beeb when you don't have to, and can use facebook/twitter instead?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I think they are likely to win 80-100 seats on those figures, with Con largest party and Lab ~220 so potentially ungovernable.
    Sure, Lab 220 could in extremis work. Labour sub 200 means the Tories petty much must have taken seats off them though. I think there is a big difference between Lab 220 and Lab sub 200.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Wouldn't go that far.

When presented with 2 things both of which they find deeply unpleasant, people often struggle to choose which one they 'prefer'.

I think there's a name for it, but I can't quite recall what it is.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    With all this, it is kinda important to recall that the last three GEs have produced results which weren't expected. Doesn't mean this one will of course.
    But, important to keep in mind.
    The electorate is extraordinarily volatile at the moment. We've had FOUR different parties leading the polls in the last few months...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085

Scott_P said:
    The truth of the matter is that politicians don't need the media anymore. They can get their message out there without the accountability.

Why go on Channel 4 or the Beeb when you don't have to, and can use facebook/twitter instead?
    Not good for democracy.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. Day's gym visit over successfully, chores done, but sadly no cricket to watch. Although it's stopped raining in this part of the Colchester area, but doesn't look as though it will for long.
    What a depressing August this has become! In all sorts of ways, both general and personal.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    edited August 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Johnson's ramping up of no deal seems to be having an effect - public support for it is falling away.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Listening to R4 this morning, apart from anything else, Hammond nailed the preparations issue. ie if we are "now" much better prepared for no deal (eg Wolfson yesterday) how could Hammond, chancellor until three weeks ago, not have made preparations..

I wish Humphries had picked up IDS on this as he (IDS) a few minutes later charged Hammond with making no preparations.

Yes, it was a very good interview indeed and that particular answer of Hammond's was an absolute zinger. He really is very impressive.
    Old Spreadsheet is impressive. Got to Oxford from a state school, went into real businesses doing real stuff, solid record in a range of government departments, kept the economy working as Chancellor, hardly a Europhile by any sane measure. He ought to be the ideal leader for a certain sort of "common sense" Tory...

... and he's on the scrapheap because he won't bow to the Brexit gods without questioning them a bit. It's madness.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

<
    More evidence there is no need to bugger about with school terms and exam dates.

Irish universities make offers after the results are known in August. Here are the 2016 dates:

Round One – 22 August 2016: the main body of offers are issued in the week following the release of the Irish Leaving Certificate Examination results

Round Two – 1 September 2016: another round of offers issued

Offers are issued on a weekly basis until mid-October to fill any remaining vacancies.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/international/europe/ireland/applying-to-an-irish-university/

Students in Ireland therefore apply to University ****before**** the Irish Leaving Certificate is known.

Just as in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/14/labour-scrap-predicted-grades-university-admissions-fairer

The whole point is Rayner wants students to apply for higher education courses ****after**** they receive their exam results.

This is a direct quote from Rayner's article " This means that students will apply for higher education courses after they receive their exam results"

You seem fully qualified to join Corbyn's front bench team.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

"There is also the possibility of a deal with Plaid and the Greens on the Brecon model to allow a single “Unite to Remain” candidate in key seats."

I cannot see that benefitting Plaid Cymru.

I am sure the LibDems are super-keen, though.

The only seat in Wales where it might benefit the Liberal Democrats is Montgomeryshire, which could be very tight with Glyn Davies retiring and where the very small numbers of voters the Greens and Plaid offer might be decisive. There is practically no evidence it helped in Brecon and Radnor.

There may be seats in England - say, Cheltenham - where it would be different.
    I think the Plaid Cymru vote is 1/3 Leave, 2/3 Remain. So, this alliance will lose some Plaid Cymru voters.

The LibDem vote is 100 per cent Remain, so the problem does not occur for them.
    That's one problem. The other problem is that people are assuming that just because the party leadership has endorsed another candidate, that means their voters will slavishly follow. This is a very bold assumption. In the case of Wales for a number of reasons it is a totally ludicrous assumption. If you were a Liberal Democrat and willing to vote for a Plaid candidate to take a seat off say Labour - and Ynys Môn is the only seat where this might apply - you will already be doing it. If not, no amount of havering from Jane Dodds will change your mind.
    I agree with that. The failure of UKIP voters to switch en masse to the Tories in 2017 confirms my sense that voters will decline to be moved around like chessboard pieces.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Andrew Yang's implied odds for the presidency are absolubtely crazily low. He is around 4-7 :open_mouth:

People with money to bet take a serious interest in politics and think deeply about the solutions to current problems, and identify problems coming down the tracks. So does Yang. Therefore those who bet like him.
    Unfortunately, most ordinary voters don't do that.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

That's what Labour will get...

So the discussion is not relevant.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    In this photo, Boris looks like my students in an 8 O'clock lecture on Monday mornings!
    Scott_P said:
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Johnson's ramping up of no deal seems to be having an effect - public support for it is falling away.
    "Preferred outcome" is an interesting term. Shows how important the wording of the question is.
    And, possibly that support for No Deal as a tactic is substantial. But, not as a strategy.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

Pulpstar said:

That's what Labour will get...

So the discussion is not relevant.
    You said 150 in 2017 though.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    It is self-evident that most people would "want" a deal. It is the nature of the deal and the circumstances in which that deal is offered that matters.

48% want to leave the EU. That is something you haven't seen particularly highlighted on this thread.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

To coin a phrase, Corbyn will always be disaffected Tories' backstop. Whatever the hell Johnson does it will not be as cataclysmic as a Corbyn government but yes, would need a gun to the head. Or a general election, obvs.

But you are a Con not a Lib Dem.

To ask you to tactically vote Lab would be like asking the pub landlord to open the bottle of Peroni you've just brought in from Asda - cheeky.

What can be asked of you* is that you vote Lib Dem in seats where they have a chance.

* Not you personally, necessarily - your ilk. Con Remainers.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Andrew Yang's implied odds for the presidency are absolubtely crazily low. He is around 4-7 :open_mouth:

People with money to bet take a serious interest in politics and think deeply about the solutions to current problems, and identify problems coming down the tracks. So does Yang. Therefore those who bet like him.
    I know his pitch, but why are his implied odds for the presidency so crazily low ?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,125
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

"There is also the possibility of a deal with Plaid and the Greens on the Brecon model to allow a single “Unite to Remain” candidate in key seats."

I cannot see that benefitting Plaid Cymru.

I am sure the LibDems are super-keen, though.

The only seat in Wales where it might benefit the Liberal Democrats is Montgomeryshire, which could be very tight with Glyn Davies retiring and where the very small numbers of voters the Greens and Plaid offer might be decisive. There is practically no evidence it helped in Brecon and Radnor.

There may be seats in England - say, Cheltenham - where it would be different.
    I think the Plaid Cymru vote is 1/3 Leave, 2/3 Remain. So, this alliance will lose some Plaid Cymru voters.

The LibDem vote is 100 per cent Remain, so the problem does not occur for them.
    That's one problem. The other problem is that people are assuming that just because the party leadership has endorsed another candidate, that means their voters will slavishly follow. This is a very bold assumption. In the case of Wales for a number of reasons it is a totally ludicrous assumption. If you were a Liberal Democrat and willing to vote for a Plaid candidate to take a seat off say Labour - and Ynys Môn is the only seat where this might apply - you will already be doing it. If not, no amount of havering from Jane Dodds will change your mind.
    I agree with that. The failure of UKIP voters to switch en masse to the Tories in 2017 confirms my sense that voters will decline to be moved around like chessboard pieces.
    Actually 60% of 2015 UKIP voters voted Tory in 2017, 18% stuck with UKIP and 16% voted Corbyn Labour

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-2017-election
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    kjh said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

That is an excellent question. It is also relevant that I do not sit in a LAB/CON marginal so I can't judge what I would do objectively.
    And here is the rub answering your question: I really strongly object to both as PM. I'm not sure that has ever happened to me before.
    On the contrary, Mr KJH, it was a very reasonable response. To vote for a Tory or a Labour candidate is to give support to their respective party leaders. You are saying that I should give my support to an untrustworthy, lazy, cheating, knavish, irresponsible fanatic (PB can apply these epithets to the party leader of their choice) who seems set on taking this country increasingly into a dictatorship. I very strongly object to both as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Corbynista panic that ‘Gold Standard’ Survation shows this...

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1161592121553555457?s=21

1% swing from Labour to the Tories since 2017 even with Gold Standard Survation.

LDs now closer to Corbyn Labour than Corbyn Labour is to the Tories with Survation too
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So 48% still want Brexit, only 43% want to Remain
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,126

Scott_P said:
    It is self-evident that most people would "want" a deal. It is the nature of the deal and the circumstances in which that deal is offered that matters.

48% want to leave the EU. That is something you haven't seen particularly highlighted on this thread.
    Your first paragraph refutes your second. If it's self-evident that most people would "want" a deal, you can't deduce that these people "want" to leave the EU. They may just desire a quiet life.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,844
    Are there any Labour party rules that prevent someone other than party leader becoming PM? I do seem to recall something, but the details are misty.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    OT security schmecurity. Who needs spies?

The fingerprints of over 1 million people, as well as facial recognition information, unencrypted usernames and passwords, and personal information of employees, was discovered on a publicly accessible database for a company used by the likes of the UK Metropolitan police, defence contractors and banks.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/aug/14/major-breach-found-in-biometrics-system-used-by-banks-uk-police-and-defence-firms
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,137
    edited August 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Is this today's equivalent of the Jimmy Young Show during the Thatcher era?
  • Options

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. Day's gym visit over successfully, chores done, but sadly no cricket to watch. Although it's stopped raining in this part of the Colchester area, but doesn't look as though it will for long.
    What a depressing August this has become! In all sorts of ways, both general and personal.

Yesterday on here there was very serious debate as to whether there was appetite in Colchester for independence. Of Colchester, that is.

I poo poo'd the notion, but happy to be corrected by somebody close to it.

Or more than close to it - in it.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Are there any Labour party rules that prevent someone other than party leader becoming PM? I do seem to recall something, but the details are misty.

Probably not, as the current prime minister, Mr Johnson, is not the leader of the Labour party.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

What you call "royally bugger up" can be phrased as "part of the reorganisation". The school year starting in August is not the only option if you want exams in late April. If implemented, this would have to be a major resutructure to A-Levels and Unis, and could not be brought in quickly.

So what other options are there?

At the moment, the A-levels start in the last full week of May. They are released mid-way through August. That's a time frame of around 12 weeks. Not too much for sitting, returning, scanning, standardising (although if my experience of incorrectly marked seeds is anything to go by that stage has become a farce) marking, checking, collating, and issuing.

For them to be released in April they would therefore have to be done from around the second week of January. That immediately pulls everything back by four months. Moreover, for a number of practical reasons (basically to do with the availability of invigilators, markers and rooms) GCSEs would have to be moved as well.

Therefore the school year would need to be radically reorganised:

1) Probably start at the start of May, with a five week break from the end of March to the end of April.

2) two week Holidays in June/start of July, end of August. October and December, creating a five term year instead of three/six.

3) probably overall slightly more non-teaching weeks, up from around 12 to maybe 13.

And leaving unanswered one very important question:

Which unfortunate exam year is going to have their teaching time for life-defining exams cut in half?
    In Germany the abitur exams are marked by the teachers within 3 weeks. There is then a programme for schools to cross-check the standard of marking with each other, which doesn't take long.

In paralell the pupils have examined presentations, oral exams and kind of viva, if the pupil is close to a borderline. This year in Berlin the whole abitur testing started this at the start of April and the pupils had their final results in mid May.

If the desire is there to get the results out, it can be done much quicker than in 12 weeks.

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    kinabalu said:

Question for the LDs on here, Ian, Rose etc -

Assuming an Oct GE and that Labour DO have Ref2 as a manifesto commitment.

And that you live in a Lab/Con marginal, LDs not a chance.

Do you vote Labour?

I am in almost exactly that position (the seat was marginal after 2015 but Labour won heavily in 2017). I'll be voting Labour. If you want to stop a no deal brexit you simply have to vote for whoever can reduce the number of tories in Parliament to stop Boris governing.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

48% accept leaving the EU, which is slightly different. There is undoubtedly a Soft Brexit majority in the country and a Soft Brexit could also get through the Commons.

• Options
    Just to prove that anyone adding up the Deal/No Deal numbers to work out how many people want to leave the EU is an idiot:

https://www.survation.com/general-election-voting-intention-and-brexit-preferences-poll/
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    TOPPING said:

Johnson is PM, that feels like a gun to the head already....

I will probably vote LibDem rather than try to elect the human-sized piece of vacuum known as Corbyn.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    Didn't catch it, but the comments seem mostly positive (Whether they've been "cleaned", I have no idea), including from those with the BREX logo in their Facebook profile.

And no, they are not all from Tory HQ.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited August 2019
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

I know his pitch, but why are his implied odds for the presidency so crazily low ?
    Supply and demand. Most of the prices are driven by genuine assessments of odds by experienced punters (who can absorb some "irrational" bets from fans). But Yang's price is driven more by the fanboys - serious punters will be on their max lay - and the fanboy demand is greater in the President market.
  • Options

Just to prove that anyone adding up the Deal/No Deal numbers to work out how many people want to leave the EU is an idiot:

https://www.survation.com/general-election-voting-intention-and-brexit-preferences-poll/

They aren't as 21% are Don't Know, more still support some form of Brexit than are diehard Remainers, only 43% are committed to Remain in all circumstances
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Ok this is my gut talking again (been doing a lot of that today!), but how does Brexit get 6?

Can you give me/us an in detail breakdown of how the calculus works HYUFD? A thread on it would be really interesting. Is it just UNS and if so from when, etc, etc.

It would be really fascinating.

Also alternative models.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

"Whiskas. 8 out of 10 owners said their cats preferred it".

Does this mean that 80% of cats want Whiskas? Not really.

But I have a question for you, the answer to guide my betting -

The Great Man - PM BJohnson - "Boris" -

If he were to announce at the crunch that he wants a 3 to 6 month extension in order to tie up a new Brexit deal with the EU, would the party replace him as leader and PM?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,960
    edited August 2019
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

And 19% want what the government will deliver on 31st October. If I was a Tory that would scare the life out of me.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

...And no, they are not all from Tory HQ.

Did they slip in one non-party member so as to be able to make that claim?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:
    Ok this is my gut talking again (been doing a lot of that today!), but how does Brexit get 6?

Can you give me/us an in detail breakdown of how the calculus works HYUFD? A thread on it would be really interesting. Is it just UNS and if so from when, etc, etc.

Also alternative models.
    Brexit Party forecast to gain Ashfield, Boston and Skegness, Clywd South, West Carmathen and Pembrokeshire, Mansfield and Preseli Pembrokeshire.

I believe the site breaks down how it calculates but looks like the Brexit Party is forecast to have as many Welsh MPs as Plaid
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

Scott_P said:

48% accept leaving the EU, which is slightly different. There is undoubtedly a Soft Brexit majority in the country and a Soft Brexit could also get through the Commons.

I think it would be touch and go, whether a soft Brexit could make it through the commons.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

They aren't as 21% are Don't Know, more still support some form of Brexit than are diehard Remainers, only 43% are committed to Remain in all circumstances
    Wrong. The full results are:

Remain: 51%
    Leave: 42%
    Don't know: 6%
    Refused: 1%
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sure, Lab 220 could in extremis work. Labour sub 200 means the Tories petty much must have taken seats off them though. I think there is a big difference between Lab 220 and Lab sub 200.
    Lab sub 200 implies Con majority at the moment, as LDs unlikely to exceed 80-100 seats at the top end.

But if you think a 3-4% movement in any of the top three parties is possible (or the polling is wrong), I think you could imagine it.
  • Options

8% accept leaving the EU, which is slightly different. There is undoubtedly a Soft Brexit majority in the country and a Soft Brexit could also get through the Commons.

I think Theresa could have won an election on it, on her deal.

Bet she wanted to and was told by the party to go whistle.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    And at the same time, from the same figures, only 19% want a complete break with the EU, while 72% want some kind of continuing relationship.

If the Tories-UKIP-Brexit Ltd are getting support from only 19% of the electorate, it looks as though the ABDPJohnson strategy, so frequently propagated here on PH by our friend HY, is simply not going to work.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Well, I'm sorry, but I voted Remain, but I think it's fair to honour the outcome of the referendum, provided there is a sensible deal.

So that 48% figure includes people like me.

What I will absolutely not support is the lunatic No Deal policy. And indeed, only 19% (down from 25%) support that, according to this poll.

That makes a nonsense of the line you have been pushing, with your dozens of posts every hour here. You've been telling us support for No Deal is so high that if only Johnson could unite all the people backing it, he would win a majority in a general election. You know he couldn't win a majority on 19% of the vote, for God's sake!

Try to get back into touch with reality. And try to understand this isn't some silly game. If we leave with No Deal, that is going to decimate people's lives. That is going to kill people.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    As someone on twitter pointed out, Boris is pitching for common ground, not centre ground.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Just looking at the Brecon & Radnor 2016 Assembly result. The recent Parliamentary by election actually represents a swing of 11.75% from LibDem to Con compared with the 2016 election!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,941
    @malcolmg

As I'm sure others have told you, you can't get less than zero on the Kelvin scale. Not in this universe, anyway.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    Jimmy Young show used to get a live audience of 5 million. What did the Spiv get this morning?

Those wanting to tell me how many UK Facebook subscribers there are instead of answering the question might bear in mind that the most popular show on Netlix UK (all editions of Friends combined) gets just 2.4% of its less-than stellar 11.5 mn subscribers
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Do you have to be British to be a collaborator?

Personally, if there was a "Revoke A50" button that actually worked, I would press in a heartbeat and consequences be d*mned.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Also alternative models.
    Brexit Party forecast to gain Ashfield, Boston and Skegness, Clywd South, West Carmathen and Pembrokeshire, Mansfield and Preseli Pembrokeshire.

I believe the site breaks down how it calculates but looks like the Brexit Party is forecast to have as many Welsh MPs as Plaid
    I could see those on the site, but I don't know 'why'.

I would love to know what they do. I would be interested in the maths and the assumptions and compare to other methodologies.

I have never looked at this.

I assume we have experts on the site who could write a thread.
  • Options

I am in almost exactly that position (the seat was marginal after 2015 but Labour won heavily in 2017). I'll be voting Labour. If you want to stop a no deal brexit you simply have to vote for whoever can reduce the number of tories in Parliament to stop Boris governing.

Another correct answer! We are on a roll now.

Starting to like that 12 for Labour majority.

It covers a long-dated next election with Corbyn gone, remember.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Yesterday on here there was very serious debate as to whether there was appetite in Colchester for independence. Of Colchester, that is.

I poo poo'd the notion, but happy to be corrected by somebody close to it.

Or more than close to it - in it.
    I suspect that some in Colchester would quite like the Romans back. However the only place in Essex with a significant independence movement is my one-time stamping ground, Canvey Island, where the CIIP controls the Town Council.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,320
    Yes, the Boris/Cummings plan to soften up the public for No Deal (if that's what it was) looks to be bombing. Is it because the more people understand No Deal the more it horrifies them, or are they instinctively wary about anything Boris appears keen on?
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Well, I'm sorry, but I voted Remain, but I think it's fair to honour the outcome of the referendum, provided there is a sensible deal.

What I will absolutely not support is the lunatic No Deal policy. And indeed, only 19% (down from 25%) support that, according to this poll.

That makes a nonsense of the line you have been pushing, with your dozens of posts every hour here. You've been telling us support for No Deal is so high that if only Johnson could unite all the people backing it, he would win a majority in a general election. You know he couldn't win a majority on 19% of the vote, for God's sake!

Try to get back into touch with reality. And try to understand this isn't some silly game. If we leave with No Deal, that is going to decimate people's lives. That is going to kill people.
    I backed Brexit with a Deal and that is still my preferred outcome and that of most voters including second preferences

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1161595663974580225?s=20

However I prefer No Deal to Revoke and Remain to respect the Leave vote
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,912
    kinabalu said:

Question for the LDs on here, Ian, Rose etc -

Assuming an Oct GE and that Labour DO have Ref2 as a manifesto commitment.

And that you live in a Lab/Con marginal, LDs not a chance.

Do you vote Labour?

This is indeed one of the crucial questions.

Another is: what is the path to ref 2 that does not involve Corbyn becoming PM?
    I see only two ways for that to happen and both look unlikely:
    1. Lib dems win more seats/poach more sitting MPs than Labour
    2. Labour somehow ditch Corbyn, either between now and next GE, or after a GE result.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    As someone on twitter pointed out, Boris is pitching for common ground, not centre ground.
    Exactly, the common ground is where the provinces are, the centre ground is where central London is
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    Didn't catch it, but the comments seem mostly positive (Whether they've been "cleaned", I have no idea), including from those with the BREX logo in their Facebook profile.

And no, they are not all from Tory HQ.
    I think the point about the Jimmy Young show was that the interviewing wasn't considered - shall we say? - among the most forensically rigorous, as political interviewing went.

But of course I may be completely wrong about the quality of the comments, including those with a BREX logo, not all from Tory HQ.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Only 43% have a first choice Remain, 29% have a first choice Brexit with a Deal, 19% have a first choice of Brexit with No Deal and most voters second choice is Brexit with a Deal
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

Just out of interest, do you really think that leaving the EU is the best thing for the Tory party's prospects of winning future elections? Remainers are clearly now in the majority and that trajectory may well continue. And while keeping the base happy isn't unimportant, being associated with leave isn't going to help win over floaters.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

"Whiskas. 8 out of 10 owners said their cats preferred it".

Does this mean that 80% of cats want Whiskas? Not really.

But I have a question for you, the answer to guide my betting -

The Great Man - PM BJohnson - "Boris" -

If he were to announce at the crunch that he wants a 3 to 6 month extension in order to tie up a new Brexit deal with the EU, would the party replace him as leader and PM?
    If you ask about extending further then as Opinium showed last weekend No Deal is preferred to extend further or Remain combined
  • Options
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

Just out of interest, do you really think that leaving the EU is the best thing for the Tory party's prospects of winning future elections? Remainers are clearly now in the majority and that trajectory may well continue. And while keeping the base happy isn't unimportant, being associated with leave isn't going to help win over floaters.
    Given the Tories would be obliterated if they extend again by the Brexit Party as they were in the European Parliament elections, given the Tories have a 4% lead over Labour with Boris today with Survation ie more than in 2017, given only 43% of voters are committed to Remain, what an absurd question
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    justin124 said:

Just looking at the Brecon & Radnor 2016 Assembly result. The recent Parliamentary by election actually represents a swing of 11.75% from LibDem to Con compared with the 2016 election!

Because Kirsty Williams was the candidate and like Glyn Davies in Mont she has a huge personal vote.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,844
    Chris said:

Pro_Rata said:

Probably not, as the current prime minister, Mr Johnson, is not the leader of the Labour party.
    Drat your pedantry! Such a rule would sit well with the communism though.

OK. Are there any internal Labour party rules that prevent a Labour figure other than the leader becoming PM?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

I backed Brexit with a Deal and that is still my preferred outcome and that of most voters including second preferences

Well then, Johnson needs to convince people he is genuinely willing to negotiate. It would be fatal for him simply to stonewall and delay with the idea of leaving without a deal.

And if Philip Hammond suggests he is not, in good faith, willing to negotiate, that could be a very damaging argument - as far as the 29% who want to leave with a deal - are concerned.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Because Kirsty Williams was the candidate and like Glyn Davies in Mont she has a huge personal vote.
    Did someone post that Glyn Davies is retiring next time?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Only 43% have a first choice Remain, 29% have a first choice Brexit with a Deal, 19% have a first choice of Brexit with No Deal and most voters second choice is Brexit with a Deal
    You're just ignoring those questions where you don't like the answers. You're entitled to your opinions, you're not entitled to your facts. See Qs 6, 7 and 8.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    HYUFD said:

You support deal or no deal Brexit. I support deal Brexit or Remain. I oppose no deal Brexit. Does that make me pro Brexit or pro Remain?

What right have you got to appropriate my support for deal Brexit for “Brexit in all circumstances”?

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Another correct answer! We are on a roll now.

Starting to like that 12 for Labour majority.

It covers a long-dated next election with Corbyn gone, remember.
    Naughty - there is a bit of electioneering going on there with that last sentence. You are trying to get people like me off the fence aren't you?
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Well then, Johnson needs to convince people he is genuinely willing to negotiate. It would be fatal for him simply to stonewall and delay with the idea of leaving without a deal.

And if Philip Hammond suggests he is not, in good faith, willing to negotiate, that could be a very damaging argument - as far as the 29% who want to leave with a deal - are concerned.

Quite. There's no comfort for HYUFD and the "do or die" strategy from numbers suggesting people would accept a deal if the government is not willing to accept a deal, and has boxed itself into a corner where it cannot accept a deal without its own supporters crying betrayal.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Did someone post that Glyn Davies is retiring next time?
    Yes he is. New candidate was chosen last month:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-hubs/mid-wales/2019/07/20/tories-chose-next-prospective-parliamentary-candidate-for-montgomershire/
This discussion has been closed.