Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters give the Tories a 67% chance of winning most seats but

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    rcs1000 said:

OllyT said:

If we leave with No Deal and fall back on WTO rules would we be allowed to have sector by sector deals with the US or would it have to be a full FTA or nothing?

AFAIK sector by sector is allowed. Each sector deal is a deal.

No, that is wrong. It has to be a full free-trade agreement:

The formation of free-trade areas is considered an exception to the most favored nation (MFN) principle in the World Trade Organization (WTO) because the preferences that parties to a free-trade area exclusively grant each other go beyond their accession commitments. Although Article XXIV of the GATT allows WTO members to establish free-trade areas or to adopt interim agreements necessary for the establishment thereof, there are several conditions with respect to free-trade areas, or interim agreements leading to the formation of free-trade areas.

... A second requirement stipulated by Article XXIV is that tariffs and other barriers to trade must be eliminated to substantially all the trade within the free-trade area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-trade_area
    Doesn't it depend upon what the sector deal is?

For instance doesn't the EU have a deal with the USA for the aviation sector? That is permitted despite that restriction. If so, presumably we would be permitted one on the same grounds?
    Aviation is part of a different set of accords to WTO/GATT
    Specifically, I believe, it's the Warsaw and Montréal Conventions
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    kjh said:

Streeter said:

kjh said:

Streeter said:

kjh said:

ydoethur said:

OK. At what point do we say this country has officially lost its marbles?

Philadelphia and VW ads banned for gender stereotyping
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49332640

I hate to sound like a Daily Mail reader, but...

Agree they are just jokes.
    No, they are appallingly sexist. What is wrong with you?
    See my other response. Your response was a bit over the top, but in fairness my comment was short and not explained. Hopefully my more detailed response will make you feel better about my view. I am strongly in favour of equality, but feel these are harmless bits of fun not to be taken seriously.
    Do a thought experiment and reverse the genders. You may come to a different conclusion.
    No not at all. In our house for instance the roles are largely reversed anyway. We have harmless jokes at each other's expense. Similarly my wife is Scottish and I'm English. Usual patter there. A close friend who is gay and, I'm straight. Same thing. But then none of us are bigoted. Banter around diy skills, girls can't throw, multi tasking, etc all in fun. I think it is pretty obvious when someone is bigoted and believes the message being portrayed and when there is a laugh to be had.
    kjh, you will be upsetting the snowflakes.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I am just in Northern Ireland for a short holiday. I was surprised outside Belfast International Airport at an English bloke who looked shit scared when he asked for information on buses! He came to he right person as i have strategically planned my break in NI to include the cheapest travel to Giants Causeway and Londonderry and back to Belfast in a day! I like NI it reminds me of Kent, Sussex and the like. It is interesting seeing the UK and Irish flags around NI. It is nice to see a place proud of the Uk rather than discussing exit. So far so good! I hope NI and Scotland choose to stay in the UK despite Brexit!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

The Liberal Democrats are propping up the Tories in lots of local councils, not least in Jo Swinson’s East Dunbartonshire. Will they be leaving these arrangements to increase pressure on the Tories regarding No Deal?

There are all sorts of bizarre arrangements in local councils, to ensure that business gets done. When I was a student in the NE, back in around 1960 there was alleged to be an informal arrangement in one council between the local Ratepayers and the Communists.
    Also there have been some Con/Lab coalitions.
    " The Conservatives have agreed a deal with Labour to and independents to run Aberdeen City Council – this puts the Lib Dems and SNP into opposition. In East Lothian there is also talk of a Labour/Conservative deal. There will also be a joint Labour/Conservative administration in Stirling."
    https://www.conservativehome.com/localgovernment/2012/05/labourconservative-coalition-to-run-aberdeen.html
    A lot of good that is doing Aberdeen, what flustercluck they are making of it
    Eh? How would you know what's going on in all the way up in Aberdeen. Aberdeen is a great anti-separatist city. If only we could find a unity candidate to get rid of Blackman.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,886
    malcolmg said:

First whiff of ministerial cars and the pants will be dropped , they have no principles OKC.

Course we don't Malcolm. We do remember what happened in 2015 and it'll be a very cold day in a very hot place before we do any deal with the Conservatives.

But I forget myself - we have no principles. I'm sure if Boris offered STV without a Referendum and a commitment to Revoke without a referendum we'd give it some thought.

I'm sure Nicola would only be too happy to sell her soul to Corbyn in exchange for having another go at the question - perhaps she'll get the right answer next time.

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Scott_P said:
    Delusional. Has he not grasped that we cannot negotiate a new deal in 2 months?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

kinabalu said:

philiph said:

The policing of the ad industry should come from the target audience. If they are offended / don't like the advert, then don't buy the product. Aren't we advanced enough to make our own minds up?

Just leave it to the market in other words?

I would not be comfortable with that. I can easily imagine an ad that was toxic but superbly made and effective, which for the general good should not be granted mainstream release.

I think it's good to have some self-regulation.
    Marketing cigarettes to children?
    Advertising medicinal properties a product doesn't really possess?
    Making false claims about a competitor's product?

Don't worry, the Free Market™ will prevent all that. Because if there's one thing we know, it's that nothing harmful is ever profitable.
    My understanding is the conversation is about the way the advertisement is produced, using the correct values and respecting the diversity of gender, race, religion, and done in a way that will not stereotype a grouping.

The product advertised, the target audience and veracity of the claims made are a separate issue, the examples you make are correctly on the non admissible or banned list.

The two aspects are almost (if not completely) separate.
  • Options
    Shame about the cricket - like a good PBer I laid the draw. If it's rained off does that make it a draw?
  • Options
    edited August 2019

malcolmg said:

The Liberal Democrats are propping up the Tories in lots of local councils, not least in Jo Swinson’s East Dunbartonshire. Will they be leaving these arrangements to increase pressure on the Tories regarding No Deal?

There are all sorts of bizarre arrangements in local councils, to ensure that business gets done. When I was a student in the NE, back in around 1960 there was alleged to be an informal arrangement in one council between the local Ratepayers and the Communists.
    " The Conservatives have agreed a deal with Labour to and independents to run Aberdeen City Council – this puts the Lib Dems and SNP into opposition. In East Lothian there is also talk of a Labour/Conservative deal. There will also be a joint Labour/Conservative administration in Stirling."
    https://www.conservativehome.com/localgovernment/2012/05/labourconservative-coalition-to-run-aberdeen.html
    Eh? How would you know what's going on in all the way up in Aberdeen. Aberdeen is a great anti-separatist city. If only we could find a unity candidate to get rid of Blackman.
    Briskin, I can read, the place is in a mess, skint and cannot even keep the tips open despite the highest council tax rises in the country, lots of job cuts as well. I could go on for hours.
    PS: I forgot their fondness for sheep
  • Options

Shame about the cricket - like a good PBer I laid the draw. If it's rained off does that make it a draw?

Yes
  • Options

Doesn't it depend upon what the sector deal is?

For instance doesn't the EU have a deal with the USA for the aviation sector? That is permitted despite that restriction. If so, presumably we would be permitted one on the same grounds?

I think agreements on services are different, but I'm reaching the limits of my knowledge on the exact rules.
    Indeed but isn't that what is normally meant by sector by sector deals? Since the WTO forbids anyone from doing goods based sector deals.
  • Options
    stodge said:

malcolmg said:

First whiff of ministerial cars and the pants will be dropped , they have no principles OKC.

Course we don't Malcolm. We do remember what happened in 2015 and it'll be a very cold day in a very hot place before we do any deal with the Conservatives.

But I forget myself - we have no principles. I'm sure if Boris offered STV without a Referendum and a commitment to Revoke without a referendum we'd give it some thought.

I'm sure Nicola would only be too happy to sell her soul to Corbyn in exchange for having another go at the question - perhaps she'll get the right answer next time.

they have form, what can I say. We will have indyref with or without any Westminster deals, they can only break international law for so long.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Briskin, I can read, the place is in a mess, skint and cannot even keep the tips open despite the highest council tax rises in the country, lots of job cuts as well. I could go on for hours.
    Only thing I've noticed is new recycling bins for us which makes Ms Brisk happy.

Aberdeen Strong

UK OK
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Judging by your last 5 words, you should fit into PB very well!
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Scott_P said:
    Don't forget the Labour Left have been planning Brexit for a very very long time and actually know how long it will take. If they'd been smart, the Tory Brexiters would have made common cause with them. And we'd have been leaving sometime around 2030, but for good.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Yes
    Damn
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I am just in Northern Ireland for a short holiday. I was surprised outside Belfast International Airport at an English bloke who looked shit scared when he asked for information on buses! He came to he right person as i have strategically planned my break in NI to include the cheapest travel to Giants Causeway and Londonderry and back to Belfast in a day! I like NI it reminds me of Kent, Sussex and the like. It is interesting seeing the UK and Irish flags around NI. It is nice to see a place proud of the Uk rather than discussing exit. So far so good! I hope NI and Scotland choose to stay in the UK despite Brexit!

My partner celebrated his 40th birthday just after the 2005 election. He did so at a hotel in Northern Ireland. One of our friends, who had not visited Northern Ireland before, was from Kenya. She surveyed all the posters and flags, and announced: "I like this place, they take their politics seriously." The rest of us just looked at her.

I'm afraid your vexillological comment immediately brought that to mind.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

stodge said:

malcolmg said:

they have form, what can I say. We will have indyref with or without any Westminster deals, they can only break international law for so long.
    Lol - good luck with your indyref without Westminster - remember what happened in Catalonia? Nicola will be in jail.

I'm all for it.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Anecdote, I reckon tourism must be doing well in London, my friend has taken her son to London today and cannot do anything as the standard tourist sites are sold out or full up.

Of course - Brexit is making the Pound slump so foreign currencies buy more Pounds.

It is the Brexit Benefit - lots of forriners coming here and stopping the residents from using the facilities

:D:D:D
    Actually I think the figures for tourists in the UK this year are down, the low level of the £ notwithstanding. Foreigners seem to have decided that the UK doesn't like them - can't think where they got that idea.

https://www.visitbritain.org/latest-monthly-data-1
  • Options
    philiph said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Judging by your last 5 words, you should fit into PB very well!
    :D
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

I'm glad you're getting your money's worth for the £11 billion/year (about £15,000 per family) we spend subsidising the place.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

stodge said:

malcolmg said:

Lol - good luck with your indyref without Westminster - remember what happened in Catalonia? Nicola will be in jail.

I'm all for it.
    Not another one with HYFUD virus, are you secretly a spotty teenager.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

I'm glad you're getting your money's worth for the £11 billion/year (about £15,000 per family) we spend subsidising the place.
    Did you include the Tory bribe there
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

stodge said:

malcolmg said:

I'm all for it.
    Not another one with HYFUD virus, are you secretly a spotty teenager.
    Nah - I'll be 40 next month - Ms Brisk currently off buying my presents. I admit I do live the life of a spoilt teenager.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Some comment on Johnson's blatant electioneering on law and order:

https://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/2019/08/johnsons-justice-plans-monumental-waste-money?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_term=

Reform have misunderstood the Johnson/Patel actions as serious policy proposals which of course they aren't. They are an attempt to look "tough" on crime to win support before an election. Johnson, as Mayor of London, oversaw cuts in Police numbers and the closure of operational Police stations.

Yes, Hampstead police station was closed in the Johnson cuts.

It's amazing how much people forget
  • Options

My partner celebrated his 40th birthday just after the 2005 election. He did so at a hotel in Northern Ireland. One of our friends, who had not visited Northern Ireland before, was from Kenya. She surveyed all the posters and flags, and announced: "I like this place, they take their politics seriously." The rest of us just looked at her.

I dont support Brexit but am glad that somebody is proud to be British! It feels like Brexiteers want out of the EU and dont mind if the UK dissentigrates as well. Both are wrong and I have taken the time to visit NI as it might not be in the UK much longer...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Bernie showing a little upward movement in the latest polls (National & S Carolina).
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,787
    edited August 2019
    Looking at the rain radar, it's going to be an official 4 day test match
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,914

rkrkrk said:

kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

This is indeed one of the crucial questions.

Another is: what is the path to ref 2 that does not involve Corbyn becoming PM?
    I see only two ways for that to happen and both look unlikely:
    1. Lib dems win more seats/poach more sitting MPs than Labour
    2. Labour somehow ditch Corbyn, either between now and next GE, or after a GE result.

Yes, I think the harsh truth - and for many it IS harsh - is that if you want to stop Brexit you must stomach Jez in Number 10.
    Indeed. To some extent, I think any Labour leader would have been seen as insufficiently remainy to Lib Dems. After all it wasn't that long ago Chuka was telling people leaving the single market was an acceptable price to pay to introduce immigration restrictions. Ed Miliband wanted to be tough on immigration etc.

The Lib dems should see it as quite a triumph that they've been part of persuading Labour to completely shift its position on brexit in just 2 years.

Corbyn has his own baggage of course. But in terms of world view, I see similarities between him and the Lib Dems on many issues like Iraq, civil liberties, house of lords reform, tuition fees etc...
    AS I understand it, Swinson has ruled out coalition with Corbyn (which given the history of what happens to junior partners does make sense), but has not ruled out confidence and supply with either Corbyn-led Labour or Johnson-led Tories (or, indeed, coalition with Boris?). As always with the LibDems, they want votes first, and they'll get back to us later about what they do with them.
    I think she has ruled out working with Corbyn. Whether that includes bringing down a Labour govt led by him (and potentially facilitating a no deal brexit) is unclear to me at least. But as someone pointed out to me the other day, a bit of ambiguity is probably helpful in getting Tory switchers.
  • Options

Anecdote, I reckon tourism must be doing well in London, my friend has taken her son to London today and cannot do anything as the standard tourist sites are sold out or full up.

Of course - Brexit is making the Pound slump so foreign currencies buy more Pounds.

It is the Brexit Benefit - lots of forriners coming here and stopping the residents from using the facilities

Actually I think the figures for tourists in the UK this year are down, the low level of the £ notwithstanding. Foreigners seem to have decided that the UK doesn't like them - can't think where they got that idea.

Those figures are rather old (March), but still kind of disturbing. In the latest month on which data is available, foreign tourist spend was down 8% year-over-year.

If the World Economic Slowdown (WES) continues, then tourism is going to be hit hard everywhere.

(Which is not going to be good for Spain, Portugal, Italy or Greece. Or Mexico.)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

The tech nerds can include a space to enter mitigating factors. (And as a side-effect, after a few years there would be enough accumulated data to judge the size of these effects on performance, just as we'd know if studying Shakespeare through A-level drama or A-level English was a better predictor.)

Write the algorithm then. (You come across as someone who once wrote a bad program in Basic Plus on a Vax sometime in 1985).

In fact, your algorithm is not just limited to University admission. No-one need ever waste time on filling any vacancy ever again -- we just use DecrepitJohnL's magic back box. It is a very valuable piece of software.

When your algorithm is ready and tested, we can implement Angela Rayner's proposal.
    The process as it currently exists can be automated. If you want a human to judge the handful of applicants who lost a parent in exam-week, then the computer can filter out just those applicants (one or two at most, surely, for most courses) for the admissions tutor to consider, but do not suppose that would be any fairer; it would, however, be quick because the tutor would not have to scour the obituaries in a thousand local papers for the six months since early applications, as doesn't happen now, or even wait for a phone call from a concerned headteacher.
    You write the algorithm, test it and let me know when it it is done. Once you have got the algorithm to work, and verified it on some test data, we'll switch to Angela Rayner's proposal. (You can hire someone if your BasicPlus is not up to it).

The advantage for you is that you will now become a hugely wealthy billionaire because you will have an extremely valuable piece of software that has multitudinous applications (not just University applications).

Hell, instead of the crappy selection of Labour MPs that gives us Jared O'Mara & Fiona Onansanya, we can now use your the super-slick DecrepitJohnL algorithm to process the applicants. Human intervention not needed, just those neural networks buzzing away.
    Do you have any serious objection? I expect whoever does write the algorithm will be cleverer than me, perhaps nearly as clever as you, and as already pointed out, as years go by there will be actual data. Oh, and some companies already use algorithms to filter job applications, and don't get me started on match.com, Tinder and Grindr.
    Is that how Nick Clegg got his job?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Do you have any serious objection? I expect whoever does write the algorithm will be cleverer than me, perhaps nearly as clever as you, and as already pointed out, as years go by there will be actual data. Oh, and some companies already use algorithms to filter job applications, and don't get me started on match.com, Tinder and Grindr.

If you think it will be a fairer a way to do University admissions, go ahead. It smells a little of those huge, sexy software projects that New Labour thought were so cool.

Do you remember the abandoned NHS IT patient record project that cost 10 billion? I think it holds the record for the biggest IT failure so far seen?

But, no-one ever gets hauled to prison for writing crappy code and selling it to the Government.

So, you'll be fine ... and rich ... and have helped deliver a "fair" University admission system.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Bernie showing a little upward movement in the latest polls (National & S Carolina).

But in Iowa he's fourth and just a smidgen above Buttigieg.

The big issue for Bernie is that he's largely fishing in the same pool as Elizabeth Warren, and she's been a lot more impressive than he has.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    deleted
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,303
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

The big issue for Bernie is that he's largely fishing in the same pool as Elizabeth Warren, and she's been a lot more impressive than he has.
    I am biggly red on Bernie and I am at the moment comfortable with that.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

It is the Brexit Benefit - stopping forriners coming here and spending their money

(My new policy is to change to diametrically opposite positions every 10 minutes just like our political masters)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    CatMan said:

Does that mean there should be 100 overs per day (Obviously they'll go too slowly to get them all in, but in theory should there be ?)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Pete Buttigieg is the only person of interest to me in American politics. I wonder if he worked for a while driving a limousine for a family of cheap green retractables, whereupon he was taken away, locked up, wrote a book, and was finally sent into tax exile, which is the usual fate reserved for those who are determined to make a fool of themselves in public.

The name change is not really that good a disguise
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I am biggly red on Bernie and I am at the moment comfortable with that.
    What price have you dug out on him at if I may ask ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Except that he is also to some extent (and counterintuitively) fishing in the same pool as Biden. And he hasn't, recently.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

If you think it will be a fairer a way to do University admissions, go ahead. It smells a little of those huge, sexy software projects that New Labour thought were so cool.

Do you remember the abandoned NHS IT patient record project that cost 10 billion? I think it holds the record for the biggest IT failure so far seen?

But, no-one ever gets hauled to prison for writing crappy code and selling it to the Government.

So, you'll be fine ... and rich ... and have helped deliver a "fair" University admission system.
    I was very upset about the cancellation of the NHS IT project. It was being suggested to me that I could get a part-time testing the systems from my profession's point of view in Bangalore and I was quite looking forward to it. I could cope with a British winter in Bangalore.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The alternate view is that it's just making him look a mouthy pill.
  • Options

I dont support Brexit but am glad that somebody is proud to be British! It feels like Brexiteers want out of the EU and dont mind if the UK dissentigrates as well. Both are wrong and I have taken the time to visit NI as it might not be in the UK much longer...
    Not everyone in NI is proud to be British. Some are proud to be Irish. EU membership and the GFA allow the fudge to exist that British/Irish are not that important since it is all EU anyway.

That is why Brexit is so dangerous.
  • Options
    Markets dire again today
  • Options

It is the Brexit Benefit - stopping forriners coming here and spending their money

(My new policy is to change to diametrically opposite positions every 10 minutes just like our political masters)
    Remember that you also need to spend vast amounts of money protecting yourself against disasters that are not going to happen - it's worth spending at least £6bn to prepare for eventualities that are only a million to one chance.
  • Options

Not everyone in NI is proud to be British. Some are proud to be Irish. EU membership and the GFA allow the fudge to exist that British/Irish are not that important since it is all EU anyway.

The fudge was getting mouldy - Brexit is an excellent time to revaluate the situation.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,787
    edited August 2019
    Pulpstar said:

CatMan said:

Does that mean there should be 100 overs per day (Obviously they'll go too slowly to get them all in, but in theory should there be ?)
    I think it's 98 overs. It was for the Ireland test.

Edit: or 96, can't remember now (but it's not 100, that I'm sure of!)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Those figures are rather old (March), but still kind of disturbing. In the latest month on which data is available, foreign tourist spend was down 8% year-over-year.

If the World Economic Slowdown (WES) continues, then tourism is going to be hit hard everywhere.

(Which is not going to be good for Spain, Portugal, Italy or Greece. Or Mexico.)
    I've seen a report recently that says London is down by 750,000 visits this year but I can't find a link.
  • Options

Remember that you also need to spend vast amounts of money protecting yourself against disasters that are not going to happen - it's worth spending at least £6bn to prepare for eventualities that are only a million to one chance.
    Sorry - I spent a lot shopping recently so I am a bit short. Can you lend me a few billion until Xmas?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Markets dire again today

So long as they're up again in ~ 35 years time.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,844
    edited August 2019

Did that round trip with 2 Italians around 1998. We hired a car last minute: relative to GB at the time there seemed to be surprisingly little in security checks to sign the car out. As designated driver on return,, I parked outside that National Trust pub just a lfew hundred yards down from the Europa. By evening's end it was the only car on the whole street, at which I had a significant "holy shit" moment, imagining I had narrowly missed having the hire car somehow destroyed in a controlled explosion.

Dura Ace probably has a far hairier story, but that was quite enough for me!
  • Options

... I could cope with a British winter in Bangalore.

I do not think you can get a British winter in Bangalore :)

• Options
    "none of that is happening"

Con +5
    Brexit -5

hmmmmm
  • Options

Sorry - I spent a lot shopping recently so I am a bit short. Can you lend me a few billion until Xmas?
    No but I think the Saj has got some to spare - he just has to shake one of his magic money trees.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    rcs1000 said:

But how much of that 8% has been made up by domestic staycations rather than going abroad?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,688
    malcolmg said:

Markets dire again today

"£1 any bowl" sounds OK to me.
  • Options
    Interesting to see Tories taking a quarter of the Brexit Party vote, rather than Brexit Party going up too as we have seen recently.

Another poll to trouble Labour about the prospects of an autumn election.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    That poll has the Con/BP changes balancing but 3 points left to be accounted for in the Lab/LD balance. More support for the SNP?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,688

That poll has the Con/BP changes balancing but 3 points left to be accounted for in the Lab/LD balance. More support for the SNP?

Yorkshire Party surge!
  • Options

Not +3 surely. It does seem to have gone astray though
  • Options

That's gonna be some pair of shoes.....
  • Options

UKIP maybe ?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

But how much of that 8% has been made up by domestic staycations rather than going abroad?
    No idea - is there any evidence that staycations are up this year? You might expect that given the dire state of the £ but I've not seen any data.
  • Options

Not +3 surely. It does seem to have gone astray though
    If the LibDems can find it down the back of the sofa, they are level with Labour.....
  • Options

It's UKIP I think - new leader bounce-

https://www.survation.com/general-election-voting-intention-and-brexit-preferences-poll/
  • Options

Fair enough! I like the UK proud areas personally. But it is such a shame NI might suffer again due to Brexit...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

Con +5
    Brexit -5

hmmmmm
    If Boris hasn't got that 15% of Brexit votes now, he definitely isn't going to get them when his plans start falling apart.
  • Options
    eek said:

Con +5
    Brexit -5

hmmmmm
    If Boris hasn't got that 15% of Brexit votes now, he definitely isn't going to get them when his plans start falling apart.
    Oh I don't know.

Personally I just class Brexit Party as a fun vote for '19 Euros - can see them collapsing.
  • Options

That's gonna be some pair of shoes.....
    Of course... :D
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Did that round trip with 2 Italians around 1998. We hired a car last minute: relative to GB at the time there seemed to be surprisingly little in security checks to sign the car out. As designated driver on return,, I parked outside that National Trust pub just a lfew hundred yards down from the Europa. By evening's end it was the only car on the whole street, at which I had a significant "holy shit" moment, imagining I had narrowly missed having the hire car somehow destroyed in a controlled explosion.

Dura Ace probably has a far hairier story, but that was quite enough for me!
    I actually prefer public transport as you can listen into conversation in NI plus people in the mainland. I have heard only Anti-brexit talk in. England and now NI! Not everybody thinks Brexit is a good idea!
  • Options
    eek said:

Con +5
    Brexit -5

hmmmmm
    They'll be the hardest to convince that Boris is serious. But if he does, and they come over in a lump....bloodbath for Labour.
  • Options
    eek said:

Con +5
    Brexit -5

hmmmmm
    And a fair number of them are ex-Labour voters who would not vote Tory in any circumstances.
  • Options
    I remember Gordon Brown doing likewise in 2007! Sometimes PM's realise it is better not to experience the rath of electors! Boris is chicken unless he calls an election! :smiley:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127

eek said:

Con +5
    Brexit -5

hmmmmm
    They'll be the hardest to convince that Boris is serious. But if he does, and they come over in a lump....bloodbath for Labour.
    If the only way he can convince them he's serious is to commit political suicide, it's a moot point.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,126
    Scott_P said:
    Unless the Republicans regain the House of Representatives next November, though Boris has said he will not impose a hard border in Ireland anyway
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    kinabalu said:

philiph said:

The policing of the ad industry should come from the target audience. If they are offended / don't like the advert, then don't buy the product. Aren't we advanced enough to make our own minds up?

Just leave it to the market in other words?

I would not be comfortable with that. I can easily imagine an ad that was toxic but superbly made and effective, which for the general good should not be granted mainstream release.

I think it's good to have some self-regulation.
    The trouble with policing advertising is it's very much like trying to police jokes. In other words, context and intent are important, but they're entirely down to opinion and taste.

An ad that ran today with flagrantly 1950s housewife doing the chores type stereotyping wouldn't fly. It wouldn't need regulations because any company mad enough to run it would face an enormous and immediate backlash from consumers.

But what about an ad featuring a stereotypical 1950s housewife scenario that was deliberately designed to subvert, to poke fun of the trope?

It portrays sexism, but in a way designed to make fun of it. The question of whether or not it is acceptable then becomes much more complex.

Or consider the example of that "are you beach body ready" ad. Some people consider it sexist. At the same time you have people like Kylie Jenner, Emily Ratajakowski etc, promoting products in the same manner but being lauded for being empowering. So can an ad that objectifies women be sexist if it was written by a woman who considers such a use of the female body empowering?

De gustibus non est disputandum...

IMHO the morality police and what you can and can't show in an ad should be left in the era of Mary Whitehouse.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Unless the Republicans regain the House of Representatives next November, though Boris has said he will not impose a hard border in Ireland anyway
    Why's speaker Pelosi getting so mouthy over the island of Ireland - it's got fuck all to do with the yanks (unless they're gonna start funding the IRA again of course)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    If the government does not change, there are significant procedural issues that could prevent a majority in parliament from passing primary legislation in time to mandate an extension (or revocation). There may well be a majority of members of parliament against no deal, but that does not matter unless the majority can be converted into effective action.

https://www.ft.com/content/b58491f8-be8c-11e9-b350-db00d509634e
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Why's speaker Pelosi getting so mouthy over the island of Ireland - it's got fuck all to do with the yanks (unless they're gonna start funding the IRA again of course)
    Ireland is just a stick to beat Trump with
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,974

An October/November election with Brexit in the bag, one way or another, leaves the following:

I am increasingly confident that Brexit will not be 'in the bag' this autumn

However much HYUFD jumps up and down, Parliament isn't going to let it happen. I suspect Cummings & Co know this too and they're deliberately stoking the fire, preparing for an Us vs Them vote. (Which is the kind of language Cummings speaks.)

The only way an Oct 31st Brexit would have occurred was a modified May deal. Johnson has chosen to throw that out the window and set down his own red lines.
    Which cannot be met. It's quite transparent and irritating as they are going for a GE while pretending that is not the intention.
  • Options
    Enough with the GFA already.

It's time for a BNA (Burns Night Agreement)

Same idea - an admission that divisive indyref1 has caused great division in Scotland - and a guarantee that democracy must prevail (in this case shutting down the Scottish Parliament)
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I'm sure he has. Theres quite a lot of people in favour of a deal in theory but who reject the one on offer and pretend theres time for something brand new, since they usually reject mere tweaks. Its posturing, nothing more .
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

If the government does not change, there are significant procedural issues that could prevent a majority in parliament from passing primary legislation in time to mandate an extension (or revocation). There may well be a majority of members of parliament against no deal, but that does not matter unless the majority can be converted into effective action.

https://www.ft.com/content/b58491f8-be8c-11e9-b350-db00d509634e

Such fresh new analysis!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Except that he is also to some extent (and counterintuitively) fishing in the same pool as Biden. And he hasn't, recently.
    True; there's a certain type of person who wants a geriatric incontinent candidate to face Trump.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

Markets dire again today

So long as they're up again in ~ 35 years time.
    Unfortunately that will be a bit long for me, even if exceedingly lucky I will be sitting pissing my breeks.
  • Options

eek said:

Con +5
    Brexit -5

hmmmmm
    Oh I don't know.

Personally I just class Brexit Party as a fun vote for '19 Euros - can see them collapsing.
    Yes, but how much? Where they stand and how much they get could swing the outcome of the election with just a few percent.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

True; there's a certain type of person who wants a geriatric incontinent candidate to face Trump.
    Biden is showing his age a hell of a lot more than Bernie.

Out of interest what makes you say Warren has been more impressive?
  • Options
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Ireland is just a stick to beat Trump with
    If the UK-US trade deal includes full access* for US agcricultural produce, then it will pass the US House, irrespective of what Speaker Pelosi says, as Democrats in Iowa and other farming states will not vote against it.

But if the UK-US trade deal includes full access* for US agricultural produce, then it will not pass the House of Commons as Tory MPs from farming seats will not vote for it.

* Full access means including the provisions from other US FTAs regarding food standards, GM crops and labelling
  • Options
    kle4 said:

eek said:

Con +5
    Brexit -5

hmmmmm
    Oh I don't know.

Yes, but how much? Where they stand and how much they get could swing the outcome of the election with just a few percent.
    Well UKIP peaked at 13pc in GE and Dave still got his majority so maybe not as consequential as you think
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,138

eek said:

Con +5
    Brexit -5

hmmmmm
    When people talk about Boris Johnson being serious, it always makes me think of the old Tommy Cooper joke:

"There were these two cannibals eating a clown. One of them says to the other, 'Does this taste funny to you?'"
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    kle4 said:

An October/November election with Brexit in the bag, one way or another, leaves the following:

However much HYUFD jumps up and down, Parliament isn't going to let it happen. I suspect Cummings & Co know this too and they're deliberately stoking the fire, preparing for an Us vs Them vote. (Which is the kind of language Cummings speaks.)

The only way an Oct 31st Brexit would have occurred was a modified May deal. Johnson has chosen to throw that out the window and set down his own red lines.
    Which cannot be met. It's quite transparent and irritating as they are going for a GE while pretending that is not the intention.
    Actually the only Brexit solution to have got a majority in the Commons is not May's Withdrawal Agreement as is, not Norway Plus, not Deal plus Customs Union, not EUref2 and not No Deal (all of which were voted down by MPs) but the Brady amendment ie the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop.

Thus Boris is trying to get the only Deal Parliament will support in its current form
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Biden is showing his age a hell of a lot more than Bernie.

Out of interest what makes you say Warren has been more impressive?
    Also according to 270towin, he's third in Iowa, 4% below Warren. Where do you get fourth?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    The Democrats from the Kennedys down have always been sympathetic to Sinn Fein and a united Ireland and certainly are anti a hard border in Ireland
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Actually the only Brexit solution to have got a majority in the Commons is not May's Withdrawal Agreement as is, not Norway Plus, not Deal plus Customs Union, not EUref2 and not No Deal (all of which were voted down by MPs) but the Brady amendment ie the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop.

Thus Boris is trying to get the only Deal Parliament will support in its current form
    Excellent point. I doubt the remainiacs will care though - they'll keep shouting as usual
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,286
    edited August 2019
    deleted
This discussion has been closed.