Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on the next Foreign Secretary

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2019
    test
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,318

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

No Deal Ireland will be supported, not only by the EU but also from the US. No Deal Britain will be on its own. For Ireland No Deal really is better than a bad deal.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-prepares-huge-aid-package-for-ireland-dnckkgp5t

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/donald-trump-ireland-visit-irish-border-wall-brexit-leo-varadkar-meeting/

When a case is brought by Uraguay about why its beef is treated differently to Ireland's (despite there being no WTO-sanctioned FTA between us and Ireland), and we lose that case, what then?

How long would that case take to be heard? What are the penalties we could suffer, especially if a FTA had been arranged by the time the court case was heard.

Antigua started a court case vs USA over gambling in 2003, eventually won the case, awarded $21m per year, still received nothing and still complaining.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-trade-antigua/antigua-losing-all-hope-of-u-s-payout-in-gambling-dispute-idUSKBN1JI0VZ
    Here is one of the articles I hope @HYUFD will have found when googling, if he didn't want to click through on any of the links in my header.

https://irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/wto-says-its-rules-would-not-force-eu-or-uk-to-erect-hard-irish-border-1.3710136

. Then ponder whether minds might be concentrated.
    If we are in dispute with a Trump US govt the "punishment" will surely be via tariffs not the WTO.
    That too.
    The point I am trying to make, is that we know little about the WTO and as we did with the EU assume countries follow the rules that have been created. Whilst they generally may follow them, in practice many countries choose not to, the world doesnt end for them, if there is any punishment it could be a decade or two away, assuming the WTO still exists by then, which given Trumps view it may not.

Worrying about the WTO re the Irish border is probably unnecessary compared to other no deal problems.

Relying on the WTO to govern our trade and enforce our rights when we want to is a very bad idea for the same reasons, especially as we will tend to play by the rules more than our competitors.
    I don't disagree. The point is that as the rules exist at the moment, not to mention the support that every ERGer has had for the WTO, the UK can't take the risk of a WTO MFN challenge actually succeeding which could lead to a border.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    The base isn't the same. Many of Corbyn's previous critics have left the party.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,705

A good 40% swing to the Lib Dems would do nicely in Dover. 👨‍🍳

So so far we have the following winning

Lib Dems
    Brexit
    Labour
    Tory.....

Good old PB...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    justin124 said:

So we could be down to 311 Con MPs by the time Johnson takes over.

That would make it 311 Con, 10 DUP, 319 all other opposition, 2 vacant.

Those 2 vacant get converted into Lib Dem/Labour/Brexit and it would be 321 for the government and 321 all opposition.

Speaker having to cast his vote on every VoNC!

Not so - he remains an MP throughout any pre-trial process.
    And remains innocent until proven guilty.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291

justin124 said:

Dover would certainly be an interesting by election.

Yup. 2015:
    Wikipedia said:

Conservative Charlie Elphicke 21,737 43.3%
    Labour Clair Hawkins 15,443 30.7%
    UKIP David Little 10,177 20.3%

That would reduce their majority to one if Labour won right? Assuming there aren't mass defections to the Liberals over the holidays as rumoured.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rkrkrk said:

Alistair said:

Oi, I posted that yesterday.

But I agree with you, it is hard to disagree with it. If you treat Trump like a normal candidate he will win. If you treat him like a racist and actually energise the Dem base he will lose and lose badly.
    Suspicious of this tbh. The writer is very confident his approach is right, and it seems to be based on drawing a parallel between trump and duke, California and the US and the 1990s and today. Maybe he's right, but he seems overconfident given the limitations of his comparison.
    I think you misread. Not LA as in Los Angeles, LA as in the state of Louisiana.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Cicero said:

Fairly busy today so only noticing UK political developments out of the corner of my eye this morning, but even still the optic for the Tories looks much worse than I expected ahead of BoJo's getting into Number 10.

Looks like he will have at least 30 anti-ERG MPs to try to deal with and a significant block of cabinet ministers will refuse to serve under him.

In any event B&R together with up to 6 defections are going to leave him with no majority.

Seems like he is walking into a complete shit storm... from his own side.

Well he did more than anyone else to create it so sympathy will be in short supply.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044
    Scott_P said:
    Given the court case currently ongoing over Carl Beech and Operation Midland, I'd say a quiet period from both politicians and the media over allegations is the right thing to do.

That does not excuse silence to the alleged victims, though.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

No Deal Ireland will be supported, not only by the EU but also from the US. No Deal Britain will be on its own. For Ireland No Deal really is better than a bad deal.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-prepares-huge-aid-package-for-ireland-dnckkgp5t

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/donald-trump-ireland-visit-irish-border-wall-brexit-leo-varadkar-meeting/

When a case is brought by Uraguay about why its beef is treated differently to Ireland's (despite there being no WTO-sanctioned FTA between us and Ireland), and we lose that case, what then?

How long would that case take to be heard? What are the penalties we could suffer, especially if a FTA had been arranged by the time the court case was heard.

Antigua started a court case vs USA over gambling in 2003, eventually won the case, awarded $21m per year, still received nothing and still complaining.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-trade-antigua/antigua-losing-all-hope-of-u-s-payout-in-gambling-dispute-idUSKBN1JI0VZ
    Here is one of the articles I hope @HYUFD will have found when googling, if he didn't want to click through on any of the links in my header.

https://irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/wto-says-its-rules-would-not-force-eu-or-uk-to-erect-hard-irish-border-1.3710136

. Then ponder whether minds might be concentrated.
    If we are in dispute with a Trump US govt the "punishment" will surely be via tariffs not the WTO.
    That too.
    The point I am trying to make, is that we

Relying on the WTO to govern our trade and enforce our rights when we want to is a very bad idea for the same reasons, especially as we will tend to play by the rules more than our competitors.
    I don't disagree. The point is that as the rules exist at the moment, not to mention the support that every ERGer has had for the WTO, the UK can't take the risk of a WTO MFN challenge actually succeeding which could lead to a border.
    Also, America and its economy are of such scale and internal size that it can treat the rules based order of the WTO with contempt in a way that we cannot. This is particularly so when trying to build new trading relationships.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,825
    Scott_P said:
    "I'm off now! Good luck to my successor. He's going to need it"

Bye!

:D
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Forgive my ignorance on this but I have no idea what problem HS2 was supposed to fix. In my experience the London-west midlands-north west routes are quick and frequent. Bloody expensive but I don’t think that is the issue.

shave 15 mins off London to Birmingham, nothing else. Cheap at 100B
    The primary reason for it is expanding rail freight capacity over currently full lines, nothing to do with journey times between London and Birmingham.

Same as the Heathrow runway, LHR is so far over capacity that any adverse weather costs billions in delays and cancellations, not to mention the environmental cost of having hundreds of thousands of planes that currently spend hours going around in circles at low level close to London so they can squeeze them so close together on approach.
    Another one that could be solved easier, faster and cheaper by expanding other airports
    Quite. Who wants to travel to Heathrow if they could get to Manchester in about half the time, despite living in 'the south'? Well, S W Midlands. However, when I do fly, which isn't often these days, there are few cheap or mid-price long-haul flights except from Stansted, H'row or maybe Gatwick or Luton. (Unlike most of PB I've never gone 1st or business class...)

And I believe B'ham's runway isn't long enough for some aircraft, although that's pretty close too.
    Agree, like everything else in UK it is all done to get everything London/south east centric and coining in the cash. We get all the hassle, inconvenience and cost.
    Yes, who thought that Stansted was a good location for a principal airport for anyone not living in E.Anglia? The cheap flights usually leave from there, not Manchester.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

Mr. Cooke, I would've gone for a second referendum over that. Membership of the customs union is both demented in and of itself, and directly contrary to what both sides said during the campaign. Better to remain honestly then have a pathetic departure in name only.

There's also no guarantee the pro-EU MPs wouldn't've just shifted the goal posts again.

The fact remains, the vast majority of MPs who opposed the deal are now bleating about there being no deal.

No shit, Sherlock.

Regardless of your (and my) views on the option, it remains true that it would have provided a Deal to allow us to leave the EU, ended our payments into the EU, removed us from the political structure of the EU, and so on.

If voting that down is legitimate, so is voting down the WA (after all, many of those who are needed to vote for it think that leaving itself is demented in and of itself and won't provide what either said during the campaign). I have little sympathy for those who are trying to simultaneously hold the view that we must leave come what may due to the referendum result AND that we mustn't leave in a specific way.

If you would have voted against that option, then you would have - in your own reasoning - voted for a No Deal Exit in that scenario, and would have no right to bleat about a crashout Brexit.

"There's also no guarantee the pro-EU MPs wouldn't've just shifted the goal posts again." - that's an excuse to reject anything else, though, isn't it? There's no guarantee they would have shifted the goalposts, especially as doing so would have had to be explicit after once voting for it.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Re- my own scary experience of a month ago , I have today been invited to attend an Identity Parade at my local Police Station . An arrest has been made.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,141
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

glw said:

eek said:

Talking about Boris's Telegraph article I will give you this

https://twitter.com/garius/status/1153161784125263873

Now I could go into the details of why what Boris wants is very difficult and will cost billions. But given the article he wrote I doubt he would understand the issue.

The Apollo software worked because it had 1 task and everyone was focused on achieving that task. A border will have millions of people trying to bypass and cheat it..

If nothing else that comment by Boris shows that he does not have a clue about what implementing a telematics solution to customs would involve.
    That's not the point I would guess. The point is make people, especially Brexiteers, believe that it must be possible to develop a technical solution and, then, when one is not developed, Johnson and the Brexiteers can blame someone else for the failure of another unicorn.
    Which is why anyone clueful is saying now that it isn’t possible. Mind you I do like the ability to turn around later and say I told you so.

Now it may well be that the Government gives someone a few billion to create a solution but until I’m on the receiving end of that cheque I’ll repeat the statement that it’s more a human issue than a technology one (and even then the technology won’t be easy).
    The technological solution working on GPS and the equivalent of aviation flight plans works just fine and actually could be implemented soon. That software already exists.

But we’re not dealing with a technological problem, we’re dealing with a political problem.
    Given their record on IT projects, you can guarantee there is no solution , they would spend 10 years , a few gazillions and it would not work. If there was indeed any hope of a solution someone would have actually described it by now or at worst tried to sell it to the idiots.
    Or at least produced a flow chart.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    justin124 said:

Re- my own scary experience of a month ago , I have today been invited to attend an Identity Parade at my local Police Station . An arrest has been made.

Hope they have caught the culprit Justin.

I have a friend who went through a similar experience a few months ago and I know it can be a traumatic experience
  • Options
    edited July 2019

The Brexit Party won Dover in the European Parliament elections with the LDs second with about a third of the Brexit Party vote if there is a by election there
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    justin124 said:

Best of luck, I went to one of those years ago - wasn't selected as one of the decoys but got paid a fiver for my troubles iirc.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    AndyJS said:

"Priti Patel is being considered for a shock cabinet return as home secretary, The Independent has learned, as Boris Johnson seeks to convince the public he is not a “British Donald Trump”."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/priti-patel-boris-johnson-brexit-trump-cabinet-home-secretary-pm-a9012916.html

Appointing a woman of colour provided she's even more of a reactionary loonball than him is precisely the sort of thing Trump would do.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,712
    Foxy said:

justin124 said:

So we could be down to 311 Con MPs by the time Johnson takes over.

That would make it 311 Con, 10 DUP, 319 all other opposition, 2 vacant.

Those 2 vacant get converted into Lib Dem/Labour/Brexit and it would be 321 for the government and 321 all opposition.

Speaker having to cast his vote on every VoNC!

Not so - he remains an MP throughout any pre-trial process.
    And remains innocent until proven guilty.
    Of course, and only he (and his accusers) will know the truth at this stage, but there is a possibility he falls on his own sword.

I agree, it isn't likely to go down to 311 (yet) but these are turbulent times.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    edited July 2019
    Mr. Cooke, it is legitimate to say the customs union business would've increased the chances of a deal passing. However, the CU did fail to win its vote. And there were other options (less boneheaded in nature) available.

A second referendum as a threat if a second attempt at the deal failed would've secured more votes, and, had it then failed, would've delivered the mechanism by which progress, in whichever direction, could have occurred.

The fact remains that those pro-EU MPs now shrieking about leaving with no deal are the very ones who enabled it. And yes, they can point at the ERG and say "They did it too!". And that's correct. But the ERG did it on purpose.

Pro-EU MPs who opposed the deal with no means of enforcing a second referendum or straight revocation are like the ERG, but more stupid and hypocritical. [Edited extra bit: and more numerous].

It is fair to highlight May's inadequacy (you prefer to focus on the lack of a CU addition, I prefer the second referendum threat), but ultimately MPs decided. They decided not to support a deal. Now they're upset there's no deal. Whoever could've foreseen this turn of events?
  • Options
    Mr. 124, not sure what the details are, but best of luck.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Lib Dems
    Brexit
    Labour
    Tory.....

Good old PB...
    I’d bet on the Brexit party in a by-election in Dover in the short term at odds of anything better than 1/2 and I’d regard any losses as educational.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

As with Tory members, Labour members are living in a bubble unaware of how normal people feel about it. There are many millions who would be delighted right now to have a Labour party alternative they could simply tolerate to vote for to get rid of the Tory ERG from power.

It should not be a difficult ask. Whether it is fair or not, or the media are to blame shouldnt matter. If there is an easy way to improve the lives of millions of people, such as electing a new Labour leader and govt, to prevent the ERG meltdown we are all about to suffer it is inexcusable to simply say it is not being fair on Jeremy. Surely Labour is supposed to be about the collective good not the individual?

I wasn't expressing a personal preference, just saying what I think is happening. The member in Snoddington West has no way of actually changing anything, so he's just expressing his view. The MP is merely expressing the same view as before. If there's a swing vote that made a difference, it would be among MPs who previously backed Jeremy. That's why it's worth keeping an eye on what McDonnell says - the shift in Brexit position followed his public pressure within a few weeks, and he's been vocal on the need to address the anti-semitism stuff too.
  • Options

On 19th June I was threatened by a guy holding a knife. Thanks for your best wishes.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997
    justin124 said:

Lucky given they said only 7% of crimes are being solved.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    As with all minority/small majority governments events are grinding them down. Boris is going to be short of a majority even if the DUP can be bribed to stay onside. A GE looks absolutely nailed on to me whether he wants it or not.

And as for May, well a little bit of quiet reflection might be more appropriate.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488

Lib Dems
    Brexit
    Labour
    Tory.....

Good old PB...
    I’d bet on the Brexit party in a by-election in Dover in the short term at odds of anything better than 1/2 and I’d regard any losses as educational.
    Wasn’t Peterborough educational?

Nigel Farage led parties are crap in FPTP elections.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

The Brexit Party won Dover in the European Parliament elections with the LDs second with about a third of the Brexit Party vote if there is a by election there
    I seem to remember you telling us that the Brexit party won Peterborough in the European elections and their victory in the by-election that followed would happen as predictable as night follows day! Labour won Peterborough despite the reason for the by-election, Corbyn and the problems Labour are percieved to have.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997
    Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

Best of luck, I went to one of those years ago - wasn't selected as one of the decoys but got paid a fiver for my troubles iirc.
    I did it many years ago , got 5 shillings. My mate who also did it was very like suspect , he was sweating like mad. Worth it though as it got us 2 pints of lager each for the 5 bob.
  • Options

Mr. Cooke, it is legitimate to say the customs union business would've increased the chances of a deal passing. However, the CU did fail to win its vote. And there were other options (less boneheaded in nature) available.

A second referendum as a threat if a second attempt at the deal failed would've secured more votes, and, had it then failed, would've delivered the mechanism by which progress, in whichever direction, could have occurred.

The fact remains that those pro-EU MPs now shrieking about leaving with no deal are the very ones who enabled it. And yes, they can point at the ERG and say "They did it too!". And that's correct. But the ERG did it on purpose.

Pro-EU MPs who opposed the deal with no means of enforcing a second referendum or straight revocation are like the ERG, but more stupid and hypocritical. [Edited extra bit: and more numerous].

It is fair to highlight May's inadequacy (you prefer to focus on the lack of a CU addition, I prefer the second referendum threat), but ultimately MPs decided. They decided not to support a deal. Now they're upset there's no deal. Whoever could've foreseen this turn of events?

The CU would not at all have been my preference, but it did garner the greatest support in the Indicative Votes rounds (which all had the Government payroll vote abstaining) - or, at least, the best combination of support against least resistance. It would certainly have been the compromise with the best chance of getting through.

The second referendum Indicative Vote failed by 27 votes and I agree it would have been a better option - but the failure of that being put forwards isn't down to the MPs who disliked the WA but the Government who assiduously refused to put it forwards.

Telling MPs that they have to vote for something they see is hugely boneheaded when there are other alternatives available (you and I have isolated two straight away - the CU amendment and the "pass-subject-to-referendum" alternative; the Single Market amendment was also there as well. In fact, of the Indicative Vote options, only No Deal, "Managed No Deal", EFTA membership, and straight Revocation look to be unavailable.

No, it's the Government wailing "Look at what you made me do", like an abusive spouse, when they had a number of alternatives.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,419
    Scott_P said:
    She's incredibly unsuitable for high office. Lacking in charm and self-awareness. Parachuting her into high office might well be the very last straw.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,233
    Occasionally in the past I have suffered from blurry vision. Nothing too worrying but nevertheless a bit of a pain since it makes it hard to read things properly. It's been over a year since the last bout of this, thankfully, and I was just getting to think it might be a thing of the past. But no - bad news - it would appear that the problem has resurfaced today. At least I think it has. Because it's either that or Jacob Rees Mogg actually IS the clear bookies favourite to be the next Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,905
    justin124 said:

On 19th June I was threatened by a guy holding a knife. Thanks for your best wishes.
    Good luck with the ID parade, hope they got the guy who threatened you.
  • Options
    Mr. 124, sorry to hear that/ Hope the swine gets his comeuppance.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    HYUFD said:
    Is the office open for ballot papers until midnight or can Boris start walking back the No Deal thing right away?
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Is the office open for ballot papers until midnight or can Boris start walking back the No Deal thing right away?
    Ballot closes at 5pm
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,260
    ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:
    She's incredibly unsuitable for high office. Lacking in charm and self-awareness. Parachuting her into high office might well be the very last straw.
    She is the worst of a rum collection who seem to think they have been promised a major job by Boris.

Could I get more depressed about politics? Looks likely after Wednesday and these jobs being handed out.
  • Options

Lib Dems
    Brexit
    Labour
    Tory.....

Good old PB...

If they don’t win here they won’t win anywhere. A clear three way marginal with strong pre-existing UKIP support. This should be easy for them.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,730
    edited July 2019
    Interesting thread, not just on the unexpected intricacies of the confectionery supply chain but also the dumb but apparently sincere reaction from Leavers on the forum - don't like Mars bars, they make you fat, you really are a bad business man for not planning this.

https://twitter.com/ChrisChilton64/status/1151759606139543554
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Interesting thread, not just on the unexpected intricacies of the confectionery supply chain but also the dumb but apparently sincere reaction from Leavers on the forum - don't like Mars bars, they make you fat, you really are a bad business man for not planning this.

Should help with the obesity problem then
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    HYUFD said:

Ballot closes at 5pm

Ta
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,778
    HYUFD said:
    How not to win marginal voters in a hung parliament 101.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

I seem to remember you telling us that the Brexit party won Peterborough in the European elections and their victory in the by-election that followed would happen as predictable as night follows day! Labour won Peterborough despite the reason for the by-election, Corbyn and the problems Labour are percieved to have.
    Labour was closer to the Brexit Party in Peterborough in 2nd in the European Parliament elections than the 2nd placed LDs were to the Brexit Party in Dover in the European Parliament elections and the Tories and Brexit Party still got over 50% of the vote combined in Peterborough with the Brexit Party just a few hundred votes behind Labour in the by election.

Either the Tories with a Boris bounce and new candidate or Brexit Party would win Dover
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    malcolmg said:

justin124 said:

Lucky given they said only 7% of crimes are being solved.
    There have been other knife attacks in the area recently - so the arrest may not relate to the same incident. However, there was intense police activity in response to my own experience - apparently 8 police vehicles plus their helicopter were seen.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Was this one of the things about No Deal that the head of the civil service pointed out to Boris when they met, which left the future PM quaking reportedly?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,778

As with Tory members, Labour members are living in a bubble unaware of how normal people feel about it. There are many millions who would be delighted right now to have a Labour party alternative they could simply tolerate to vote for to get rid of the Tory ERG from power.

It should not be a difficult ask. Whether it is fair or not, or the media are to blame shouldnt matter. If there is an easy way to improve the lives of millions of people, such as electing a new Labour leader and govt, to prevent the ERG meltdown we are all about to suffer it is inexcusable to simply say it is not being fair on Jeremy. Surely Labour is supposed to be about the collective good not the individual?

I wasn't expressing a personal preference, just saying what I think is happening. The member in Snoddington West has no way of actually changing anything, so he's just expressing his view. The MP is merely expressing the same view as before. If there's a swing vote that made a difference, it would be among MPs who previously backed Jeremy. That's why it's worth keeping an eye on what McDonnell says - the shift in Brexit position followed his public pressure within a few weeks, and he's been vocal on the need to address the anti-semitism stuff too.
    It was not meant to be a personal criticism. It is not even a criticism of Labour members, it is a criticism of members collectively across all the political parties including Tory and LD as well. In their search for purity they have completely forgotten about acting in the interests of improving the lives of the people across the nation. It is a betrayal of responsibility.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I suspect the Mars choc food chain arrangement is replicated in 1000s of manufactured and processed foods.

No Deal is going to be utter disaster. Let's hope Boris was lying to ERG all along.
  • Options

Lib Dems
    Brexit
    Labour
    Tory.....

Good old PB...

And they whine about it being fixed afterwards. FACT!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,648
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Your insouciance every time Boris is proved wrong is a credit to your devotion.

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Lib Dems
    Brexit
    Labour
    Tory.....

Good old PB...

If they don’t win here they won’t win anywhere. A clear three way marginal with strong pre-existing UKIP support. This should be easy for them.
    I could see Lab, Con or TBP winning.

Lab: Remainers vote tactically since LD's hopeless, TBP and Con split ineffectively
    TBP: They pick up a lot of voters from Con and (to a lesser extent) Lab, Lab is split by LD enough that they don't win
    Con: Same as the above except with TBP not picking up quite so many and Con's existing lead seeing them through

Part of the unpredictability is in knowing how voters will response to Boris PM. Do Lab->LD switchers become more willing to vote tactically to harm a hated PM, or does an even stronger Brexit obsession cause them to dig in further? Do Con->TBP switchers "come home" to a more Leaver-y party, or has Boris by now failed, driving even more away?
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:
    She is the worst of a rum collection who seem to think they have been promised a major job by Boris.

Could I get more depressed about politics? Looks likely after Wednesday and these jobs being handed out.
    I have retained my membership of the Conservative party simply in order to vote against Boris. Provided Boris doesn't go too crazy I may stay albeit in an inactive capacity. However I fear that the Cabinet construction might be so irredeemably awful as to make staying untenable. Depressing doesn't even begin to cover it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Incredibly these two are in the same party.

I do wonder how on earth Boris is going to hold the party together.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour was closer to the Brexit Party in Peterborough in 2nd in the European Parliament elections than the 2nd placed LDs were to the Brexit Party in Dover in the European Parliament elections and the Tories and Brexit Party still got over 50% of the vote combined in Peterborough with the Brexit Party just a few hundred votes behind Labour in the by election.

Either the Tories with a Boris bounce and new candidate or Brexit Party would win Dover
    Yes and I'm sure if you get that prediction wrong too you'll find some other post-hoc explanation
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,730
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

As I said, dumb but apparently sincere. Will deal with the people having jobs problem but they still may be able to afford the occasional fattening EU made Mars bar while on benefits.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The death cult is becoming more and more loosely tethered to reality. This is a group who, when they hear that civil servants are advising Boris Johnson that fresh food was only the third priority on a disorderly no deal Brexit and that civil unrest was possible, shrug and say that is to be expected from civil servants rather than wondering why people whose reputation depends on giving accurate and impartial advice are giving this advice.

As @HYUFD shows, this is a group that sees every negative as a price worth paying. Pyres of sheep, rationing of confectionery? Deal with it.

No wonder they're completely failing to make converts.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Lib Dems
    Brexit
    Labour
    Tory.....

Good old PB...

Lab: Remainers vote tactically since LD's hopeless, TBP and Con split ineffectively
    TBP: They pick up a lot of voters from Con and (to a lesser extent) Lab, Lab is split by LD enough that they don't win
    Con: Same as the above except with TBP not picking up quite so many and Con's existing lead seeing them through

Part of the unpredictability is in knowing how voters will response to Boris PM. Do Lab->LD switchers become more willing to vote tactically to harm a hated PM, or does an even stronger Brexit obsession cause them to dig in further? Do Con->TBP switchers "come home" to a more Leaver-y party, or has Boris by now failed, driving even more away?
    The LDs beat Labour and the Tories in Dover in the European Parliament elections though the Brexit Party came first
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He probably isn't. Most of his loudest fans don't seem to think holding the party together is any sort of priority, which is incredibly dense.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Lib Dems
    Brexit
    Labour
    Tory.....

Good old PB...

The LDs beat Labour and the Tories in Dover in the European Parliament elections though the Brexit Party came first
    I suppose it's possible I'm underestimating just how strong the swing is, but I'm not convinced by that statistic. EU elections are different from Westminster
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

I have retained my membership of the Conservative party simply in order to vote against Boris. Provided Boris doesn't go too crazy I may stay albeit in an inactive capacity. However I fear that the Cabinet construction might be so irredeemably awful as to make staying untenable. Depressing doesn't even begin to cover it.
    I understand, I'm vacillating myself, but I don't want No Deal on my conscience.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    ToryJim said:

HYUFD said:

He probably isn't. Most of his loudest fans don't seem to think holding the party together is any sort of priority, which is incredibly dense.
    It should be as much as a priority as it has been for the last few decades a priority while one side of the debate got ignored, marginalised and called 'bastards'.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

I understand, I'm vacillating myself, but I don't want No Deal on my conscience.
    Yet you were happy with the Poundshop Gordon Brown who literally claimed that No Deal was better than a bad deal?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

ToryJim said:

HYUFD said:

It should be as much as a priority as it has been for the last few decades a priority while one side of the debate got ignored, marginalised and called 'bastards'.
    While the other side triumphantly led Britain into the Euro? Which parallel universe do you live in?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2019
    Presumably there won't be a by-election in Dover for many months if at all. Assuming a GE doesn't intervene, then before that we'll either have missed the October 31st deadline and still be in the EU, in which case I'd expect the Brexit Party to win, or we'll have crashed out with no deal (I can't see any way Boris can get us out with a deal in the current parliament). The latter scenario is particularly interesting because Dover and the surrounding area will be hit badly by the chaos of no deal. The result will therefore hinge on whether Farage gets a share of the blame.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:
    https://twitter.com/harry_miller9/status/1153275660942503938

Just imagine if a country hadn't raised interest rates during the good times...
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

Yet you were happy with the Poundshop Gordon Brown who literally claimed that No Deal was better than a bad deal?
    Nope. I said it was stupid, I accurately predicted once she was faced with the reality of No Deal she'd blink, I think the same about Boris, but in this instance the chance of an accidental No Deal is much more higher in October 2019 than March 2019.
  • Options
    Hostages to fortune aren't tough to predict.

Tens of thousands
    No deal is better than a bad deal
    We're leaving on 31st October.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    We are trully in Alice in Wonderland territory. Norman Lamont is talking sense! He is saying we are causing terrible suffering to the ordinary Iranian people with our support for US sanctions and we should not be supporting them.

In other news Israelis back to their old habits of demolishing Palestinian homes from areas they have no authority over. The EU and UN have objected but as ever they will be ignored
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,291

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

Funny how many people who were absolutely never going to have anything to do with a Bozo-led Tory party are now dredging up flaky reasons to stick it out a while longer....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I see Mr O'Brien has had a difficult few days...

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1152256829235314688
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    edited July 2019

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

Nope. I said it was stupid, I accurately predicted once she was faced with the reality of No Deal she'd blink, I think the same about Boris, but in this instance the chance of an accidental No Deal is much more higher in October 2019 than March 2019.
    Is it higher? One thing about May is that she couldn't in reality be VONCed by Parliament. We will not be certain about that by Thursday.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No prizes for 2nd.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

Is it higher? One thing about May is that she couldn't in reality be VONCed by Parliament. We will not be certain about that by Thursday.
    Given the extremely narrow window in which Parliament might be able to prevent no deal, even a successful VONC guarantees nothing.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    IanB2 said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

Funny how many people who were absolutely never going to have anything to do with a Bozo-led Tory party are now dredging up flaky reasons to stick it out a while longer....
    Yes, some of us are going to have to do some soul-searching. I have said I would resign and I am a member of the don't underestimate the status quo bias in politics club. I think I will wait to see what happens around October 31st to see how the land lies. If things are volatile to the point of a VONC, or some putsch or somesuch then I will stay to be able to vote again. If we seem to have reached some kind of plateau and he is likely to go nowhere then I will leave.

And I appreciate that does sound flaky, but any time I worry about such a dilemma I glance over to Jeremy Corbyn and feel that however hypocritical or misguided I will be, I will do all I can to stop Corbyn becoming PM.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

These are people’s livelihoods at stake here and you make a mindless joke
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

Given the extremely narrow window in which Parliament might be able to prevent no deal, even a successful VONC guarantees nothing.
    Well indeed. However, my argument is that it has now become a feasible tactic to be employed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Lib Dems
    Brexit
    Labour
    Tory.....

Good old PB...

First base for most electoral contests nowadays is that it’s a LibDem v BXP contest. Given the electoral history of Dover (esp UKIP vote in 2015) surely BXP are favourites. Although a lot depends on the timescale and whether Elphicke will stick it out or resign fairly soon.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

In March 2019 we had a PM (and the Chancellor, Foreign, Brexit, International Trade & Business Secretaries plus the Gover) intent on respecting the will of Parliament (and Vote Leave's campaign pledge) to avoid a No Deal Brexit.

In October 2019 we aren't likely to have that, Johnson has said he will not listen to Parliament on that front. He's going to be surrounded by the likes of Patel and IDS who think No Deal will be fab.

So we have a Johnson ministry VONC'd and there's no guarantee a GONU will emerge, so effectively fall out of the EU whilst there's a general election campaign, as I'd expect the result to be an even more hung Parliament.

Plus there'd be no guarantee of the EU guaranteeing us an extension (they want to move on to other stuff, they have other issues other than Brexit.)

The other option is revocation but unless the Lib Dems win a majority I cannot see that happening.
  • Options
    However effed up our politics, at least we don’t yet have police suggesting that individual MPs be shot...
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/07/louisiana-gretna-police-ocasio-cortez-shot-facebook.html
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

Presumably there won't be a by-election in Dover for many months if at all. Assuming a GE doesn't intervene, then before that we'll either have missed the October 31st deadline and still be in the EU, in which case I'd expect the Brexit Party to win, or we'll have crashed out with no deal (I can't see any way Boris can get us out with a deal in the current parliament). The latter scenario is particularly interesting because Dover and the surrounding area will be hit badly by the chaos of no deal. The result will therefore hinge on whether Farage gets a share of the blame.

All agreed. 2 things about Dover
    1 - due to location it's difficult to get boots on the ground for a by-election (even worse than Brecon if you don't start in London) so likely to favour parties with existing infrastructure
    2 - good luck to anyone trying to bull***t this constituency about customs arrangements.

I reckon the best the opposition can hope for is that Dover has no MP in October.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

However effed up our politics, at least we don’t yet have police suggesting that individual MPs be shot...
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/07/louisiana-gretna-police-ocasio-cortez-shot-facebook.html

No, we have soldiers using Jeremy Corbyn's face as target practice.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

I hope we haven't come to the point whereby we can't joke about things. Perhaps you can supply us with a list of OK to joke about and not OK to joke about issues.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    nichomar said:

Dark Humour is one the few things that will not be rationed...
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

‘Price worth paying’, fault of hardline remainers, etc....
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Nigelb said:

No, we have soldiers using Jeremy Corbyn's face as target practice.
    There is that.

Still, on the positive side, HYUFD is doing his best to keep us entertained.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,712
    edited July 2019

. Let's hope Boris was lying to ERG all along.

Boris has probably been lying to the ERG.
    However, he's probably been lying to almost everyone.

He'll face a decision soon as to which of his whoppers he's told he has to (accidently) make true.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    TOPPING said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

I hope we haven't come to the point whereby we can't joke about things. Perhaps you can supply us with a list of OK to joke about and not OK to joke about issues.
    It’s not OK to joke about HYUFD being expelled from Epping Conservatives for being a Remain traitor.
  • Options
    Roger said:

We are trully in Alice in Wonderland territory. Norman Lamont is talking sense! He is saying we are causing terrible suffering to the ordinary Iranian people with our support for US sanctions and we should not be supporting them.

However, out of empathy, we are considering imposing sanctions on ourselves from the 31st of October.
  • Options
    Trade is not about control but about power. The UK has little power against its bigger neighbour. If it wanted power it should have stayed in the EU, or at the very least in Thatcher’s single market. Johnson sacrificed such power to outflank his rivals for the leadership. He must now pay the price for that chicanery. An awful awakening beckons.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/22/boris-johnson-avoid-irish-backstop-fly-moon
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Boris having a laugh about it as he crashes us out with no deal ?
  • Options
    One possible path I can see is that parliament basically votes to stop no deal, it is not implemented by Boris Johnson... but the EU keeps us in anyway above the head of the Prime Minister come October 31st.
    Might sound outlandish but I think it's a real possibility.
This discussion has been closed.