Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on the next Foreign Secretary

123457»

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Duncan appears to have being trying to establish a new constitutional convention (possibly implicitly rather than explicitly).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Cicero said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

nichomar said:

Don’t forget Bounty, Snickers, Milky Way, M&Ms, Twix, Galaxy, Ripple Maltesers and Topic

I hope dark kit-kats remain inviolate.
    Fear not, I’ll arrange a care package of Hershey’s chocolate bars for my favourite Remainers....

On second thoughts, even I’m not that cruel. :D:p
    Can we even call that chocolate?
    Once you have tried Fazer chocolate from Finland, you realize that most mass produced stuff in the UK is nearly as filthy as the American gunge...
    I'm a >50% guy myself.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    IanB2 said:

The Sun reports rumours that Boris will sack Hunt if he scores more than 60 per cent; that Saj has fallen out of favour because he is said to be preparing a new leadership bid in case Boris falls early; that Liz Truss reckons she can still be Chancellor (see Saj); and many more that I can't be bothered to type because I do not believe any of them but I've often been wrong before.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9553021/boris-johnson-sack-jeremy-hunt/

This is a government begging to be brought down from the outset.
    Seems a little late for my taste.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    Cicero said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

nichomar said:

Don’t forget Bounty, Snickers, Milky Way, M&Ms, Twix, Galaxy, Ripple Maltesers and Topic

Fear not, I’ll arrange a care package of Hershey’s chocolate bars for my favourite Remainers....

Once you have tried Fazer chocolate from Finland, you realize that most mass produced stuff in the UK is nearly as filthy as the American gunge...
    This place - www.gay-odin.it - produces the best chocolate ever.
  • Options
    Same sex school protest/row hits Nottingham, Sky reporting.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Cyclefree said:

Cicero said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

nichomar said:

That website looks like a seriously risky click.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,238
    On Facebook Live awaiting Lib Dem result... Snow Patrol is the wait music... not sure about that...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892

Breaking news:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49074879

I really hope Tom Watson apologises. And preferably resigns in shame.
    (And the same goes for Zac Goldsmith, who was all to ready to spread the smear against Brittain.)

Really an Alice in Wonderland day. Jessop had written something that isn't virtue signalling. In fact it's an attack on two virtue signallers.

Watson and Goldsmith deserve prison. It's a pity criminal libel doesn't exist anymore. But the least we should expect are their resignations from parliament. As nasty a pair of charlatans as I can remember
  • Options
    crandlescrandles Posts: 91
    RobD said:

Isn’t a separate confidence motion required even if a Queen’s speech is voted down?

I would expect PM and Government to treat it as a VONC and resign even if not strictly required to do so. If they didn't resign then a VONC would be required. But maybe I have it wrong and a VONC in accordance with FTPA would still be required.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

rkrkrk said:

Rumours that Alan Duncan has entered into a betting syndicate with Alistair Meeks unconfirmed...
    As Avon in Blake's Seven would say, if any other Conservative MPs are ready to pull the rug from under a hypothetical Boris Johnson government, now would be a good time.
    They just need a figurehead. Figureheads are easy to come by; any idiot can be one.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited July 2019
    crandles said:

RobD said:

Isn’t a separate confidence motion required even if a Queen’s speech is voted down?

I would expect PM and Government to treat it as a VONC and resign even if not strictly required to do so. If they didn't resign then a VONC would be required. But maybe I have it wrong and a VONC in accordance with FTPA would still be required.

Does the government resigning even trigger an election these days? I think the only way to trigger one is using the mechanism outlined in the FTPA.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cicero said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

nichomar said:

Just type it in very carefully.
  • Options
    The number of people who work with Boris and can't stand him is quite remarkable. What does that tell us about him?

May was largely friendless and had little capacity for making new ones.

Boris is superficially jolly but appears to alienate everyone who sees him up close.

Either way we move from one PM unable to get people onside to another one equally incapable of doing so.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Don't you just love the ignorant, ill-informed bigots who just don't want to understand the reality of what is being taught?

It is time to shut this down once and for all. Ban all protests within a certain distance of every school. And give absolute, unconditional support to teachers and pupils.

We cannot allow this to go on any longer. I don't give a damn about 'community relations' with regards to this. This goes to the heart of equality agenda.

Faith is a choice. Sexuality isn't.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

This is a government begging to be brought down from the outset.

I think one thing that we can be reasonably certain about (!!) is that a Johnson government will last longer than most people want or think it should do. That's just how politics works. To its own rhythm not the rhythm of 24-hr rolling news. It might hit the iceberg on day one but it will likely not sink for some time.

• Options
    Cicero said:

On Facebook Live awaiting Lib Dem result... Snow Patrol is the wait music... not sure about that...

keep us posted pls.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Johnson and Swinson have both shortened in recent days.

Not sure why - surely no new info has become available.

OK, there's less time for a cock-up or withdrawal - but fundamentals haven't really changed.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cicero said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

nichomar said:

It isn't. I promise! Mouth-watering but innocently so.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Anyone into history might want to give Marc Morris Edward I bio (e-book) a look, as it's just 99p at the moment.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cicero said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

nichomar said:

It looks amazing. The last thing the Meeks waistline needs just now is more chocolate. But...
  • Options
    Labour peers drop VONC in Corbyn
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Labour peers drop VONC in Corbyn

Can their noble Lordships do such a thing?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Swinson could do with winning over 55%, doesn't want to scrape home.
  • Options
    Mr. Cicero, don't worry, they'll be playing Beethoven's 9th momentarily.
  • Options

Don't you just love the ignorant, ill-informed bigots who just don't want to understand the reality of what is being taught?

It is time to shut this down once and for all. Ban all protests within a certain distance of every school. And give absolute, unconditional support to teachers and pupils.

We cannot allow this to go on any longer. I don't give a damn about 'community relations' with regards to this. This goes to the heart of equality agenda.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I somehow doubt that Boris will be strong on this issue.
  • Options
    If Swinson wins - and, as looks possible, ends up leading the LDs into an electoral arrangement with other parties, I would imagine that the SNP would demand IndyRef2 as part of their price.

Swinson could effectively be voting to abolish her seat - and unless she could find an English or Welsh seat to represent, she would be ending her own leadership

Laying down your own career for the sake of the SNP...
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,323
    Artist said:

Swinson could do with winning over 55%, doesn't want to scrape home.

There is so little difference between them in terms of policy the percentage doesn't matter much.

(OK, 52/48 would not be good but ....)
  • Options
    Mr. Punter, if it's 52/48 I await the second leadership election :D
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cicero said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

nichomar said:

It looks amazing. The last thing the Meeks waistline needs just now is more chocolate. But...
    The Forest log ...... mmmmmm!!!!!

Going to this shop was one of those special treats my Nonna gave us from time to time.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well it is clear that the Labour leadership is not strong on this issue either. Their silence has been deafening.

Kudos to Jess P for being an almost lone voice on this subject.

We cannot pander to bigots and the silence of too many MPs and others is just giving the bigots space in which to spread their ignorance.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Tension rising in the burlesque club the LDs have hired for the announcement....

...waiting for the big reveal.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

After we seize an Iranian vessel, basically as a favour to the US, if reports are to be believed...

You're on your own, says Pompeo:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/22/uk-must-look-after-its-own-ships-in-the-gulf-says-pompeo

I thought we were enforcing EU sanctions, or have we seized another ship?
    It's hard to know for sure, as there are sanctions on Syria from the US (OFAC), the EU, and even some specific UK ones!

As far I am aware there has been no specificity regarding exactly which sanctions the ship is supposed to have breached.

(And for the record, I think @Luckyguy1983 has the best solution for this. We simply purchase the oil on board the ship for a market price and return it to the Iranians. The sanctions are therefore upheld, while not creating a hostage to fortune.)
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

Is it, though? If your belief is a matter of choice, how can it be true faith? Faith is not a rational impulse, surely.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    With my Machiavelli hat on, what is best for Boris coming in? He doesn't have a reliable majority to sort out Brexit, or owt else. Crashing out in No Deal would be hugely risky, as we, and our businesses are simply not prepared, either practically or psychologically, and probably lead to his downfall. As might a GE with nowt settled.
    Therefore why not ask May to revoke Article 50 on Wednesday? Cue faux, manufactured outrage, then go to the country for a mandate for No Deal in 2 years spitting bile at Remainer wreckers? Unites the Right. Leaves Labour on a continued cleft stick.
    Thus giving time to at least prepare.
  • Options

Mr. Punter, if it's 52/48 I await the second leadership election :D

Russian interference?
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Is it, though? If your belief is a matter of choice, how can it be true faith? Faith is not a rational impulse, surely.
    I am also not prepared to pander to those who are irrational.
  • Options
    Oti Mabusi’s sister is the new Strictly judge....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    In what time zone is the 4pm announcement due?
  • Options
    Temperatures rising toward a potentially record-breaking Thursday....
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Eastern Standard Time.
  • Options
    Lords agree to keep the no no deal NI Bill amendment by a majority of 114...
  • Options
    now foo fighters and 15 mins late.. Its bloody close
  • Options

May time.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

WHAAT???
  • Options
    BApilots vote to strike. No dates as yet.
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, Brussels time?

Anyway, I'm off. Have fun, kids.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    Roger said:

Breaking news:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49074879

I really hope Tom Watson apologises. And preferably resigns in shame.
    (And the same goes for Zac Goldsmith, who was all to ready to spread the smear against Brittain.)

Really an Alice in Wonderland day. Jessop had written something that isn't virtue signalling. In fact it's an attack on two virtue signallers.

Watson and Goldsmith deserve prison. It's a pity criminal libel doesn't exist anymore. But the least we should expect are their resignations from parliament. As nasty a pair of charlatans as I can remember
    They come out of it badly, but fortunately we don't live in a country where you can be sent to prison on Roger's whim.
    The Metropolitan police come out of it far worse.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

Animal_pb said:

So, in essence, you're only prepared to extend equality protection to those who subscribe to a Western, post-enlightenment atheist belief set?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

BBC saying Elphicke has had whip removed. So therefore we ARE down to 311 Con MPs.

Also saying Alan Duncan wants to table a VoNC on his own government?

Almost as though it is a bad idea to treat people badly if you want them to remain loyal.
    The idea that Boris can unite the country when so many of his own MPs clearly loathe him is an interesting one.
    They could mean unite the country in loathing him.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    It's a dead heat in the LibDems! 16 votes apiece. Incredible.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If Oti is allowed to remain as a dancer, that is just wrong

I had enough of the favouritism shown by Len to anyone named Clifford - but to have a sibling judging another sibling would be taking it too far
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

:o
  • Options
    Cicero said:

now foo fighters and 15 mins late.. Its bloody close

Ed demanding a recount ?
  • Options
    Davey looks unusually happy
  • Options

IanB2 said:

If Oti is allowed to remain as a dancer, that is just wrong

I had enough of the favouritism shown by Len to anyone named Clifford - but to have a sibling judging another sibling would be taking it too far
    Seems very strange and since when did the Mabuse family extend its stranglehold on Strictly. Then again, I am Oti's #1 fan but even I accept that if she carries on dancing it is a complication too far and unnecessary.

Talk about a good day for the LibDems to bury bad news.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Faith appears to be increasingly becoming the go to influence on policy making.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

So, in essence, you're only prepared to extend equality protection to those who subscribe to a Western, post-enlightenment atheist belief set?
    I am absolutely determined that protections for those characteristics that are not a matter of choice should take priority over those characteristics that are a matter of personal choice.
  • Options
    Here we go..
  • Options
    Just get on with it - no-one cares what the LD president has to say
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    And the winner is Jo Swinson
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Here we go...

High turn out...

Swinson wins big
  • Options
    Crushing win for Swinson
  • Options
    Landslide!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

So there's a dance-off?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

BBC saying Elphicke has had whip removed. So therefore we ARE down to 311 Con MPs.

Also saying Alan Duncan wants to table a VoNC on his own government?

Almost as though it is a bad idea to treat people badly if you want them to remain loyal.
    The idea that Boris can unite the country when so many of his own MPs clearly loathe him is an interesting one.
    We have wasted either eight months (since those Boris-hating Tory MPs propped up May) or three years (since the formerly Boris-hating but now Boris-will-be-a-great-PM Michael Gove gave us three years of May) of government time to resolve Brexit.

They must all be very proud of what they have achieved.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Very happy with Jo. :)
  • Options
    Not even close. All those rumours about Ed Davey coming up on the rails seem to have been spun out of thin air.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    63 / 37
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Well done Jo Swinson. Big big win (well outside anything I saw predicted.) What a moment to be taking over - could be in a general election campaign with a serious prospect of power before she knows it.
  • Options
    Turnout rumoured to be low, and it was high. Contest rumoured to be close, and it wasn’t
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    47k to 28k
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Big mistake. That's now all four main GB-wide parties retreating to their comfort zones when three of them at least should be reaching out.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Cyclefree said:

Well it is clear that the Labour leadership is not strong on this issue either. Their silence has been deafening.

We cannot pander to bigots and the silence of too many MPs and others is just giving the bigots space in which to spread their ignorance.
    Agreed on all points.

The header I wrote on this - in March - some time before recent Panorama, Newsnight and Times articles - is one of the articles I am most proud of - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/03/21/rendering-unto-caesar/.
  • Options
    Swinson! a bit of a thrashing (she clearly got the vagina vote)(First women liberal/sdp leader!)

I think her soft Scottish accent should play well. It did no favours to Gordon Brown; but I don't really think she's in contendership to be next PM so should be fine.

Good Luck LDs! I agree with most of your policies except your central one.
  • Options

Big mistake. That's now all four main GB-wide parties retreating to their comfort zones when they should be reaching out.

Will certainly make my life more difficult as I'm not sure I will entertain voting LDs under Swinson. Of course I know I am pale, male and stale and hence would naturally have preferred Davey, but I wouldn't be the only one and winning votes from hitherto forbidden areas is what will propel them towards power.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    EICBILDL

Ed isn't crap but isn't Liberal Democrat leader?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Not even close. All those rumours about Ed Davey coming up on the rails seem to have been spun out of thin air.

Wait until tomorrow. When those who urged us to lay Boris will presumably be somewhat low profile....
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    IanB2 said:

Turnout rumoured to be low, and it was high. Contest rumoured to be close, and it wasn’t

The Tories contest was rumoured to be high turnout and an easy win for Boris - wonder if the pundits had them the wrong way round #NotLikely
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Cyclefree said:

The number of people who work with Boris and can't stand him is quite remarkable. What does that tell us about him?

May was largely friendless and had little capacity for making new ones.

Boris is superficially jolly but appears to alienate everyone who sees him up close.

Either way we move from one PM unable to get people onside to another one equally incapable of doing so.

Only potentially worse as people start out liking Boris

Fingers crossed we are wrong and he is better than appearances.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Agreed on all points.

The header I wrote on this - in March - some time before recent Panorama, Newsnight and Times articles - is one of the articles I am most proud of - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/NI-Rights.png
    Rightly so.
  • Options
    This thread has been voted on
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Will certainly make my life more difficult as I'm not sure I will entertain voting LDs under Swinson. Of course I know I am pale, male and stale and hence would naturally have preferred Davey, but I wouldn't be the only one and winning votes from hitherto forbidden areas is what will propel them towards power.

Yes, same here. Above all it's a big missed opportunity.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    tpfkar said:

IanB2 said:

The Tories contest was rumoured to be high turnout and an easy win for Boris - wonder if the pundits had them the wrong way round #NotLikely
    We can but hope.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877

Big mistake. That's now all four main GB-wide parties retreating to their comfort zones when three of them at least should be reaching out.

Why? In what way is Jo Swinson so manifestly inferior to Ed Davey and in what way is it retreating "to the comfort zone" ?
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

No - you're wrong because religious people are not being denied any rights. They are, however, being denied the right to deny rights to others.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    stodge said:

Why? In what way is Jo Swinson so manifestly inferior to Ed Davey and in what way is it retreating "to the comfort zone" ?
    I don’t know a lot about her. I think a lot of Tories in particular are going to be looking for an alternative to vote for and will be looking for somebody who seems like senior ministerial capability. Hell, they could even be a candidate for PM! And, perhaps showing obvious prejudices, Ed Davey May instinctively feel more like that person. Also was fairly senior in the coalition and they will like that.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    TOPPING said:

Cicero said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

nichomar said:

I'm a >50% guy myself.
    Lindt for me, and I do like Toblerone
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
This discussion has been closed.