Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Would Remain win a second re

12346»

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Well there goes what was left of Boris’ leadership ambitions. If his own wife can’t trust him then why should the rest of us?

Plus Eden was a divorcee too for example.
    Not an unqualified success.....nor was bachelor Heath.....
    Reagan was a divorcee and certainly was, Heath was probably gay or at least bisexual leaning towards men
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

You wouldn’t get me going within 5 miles of this box

https://twitter.com/tseofpb/status/1038004480044875776?s=21

Lol @ Pest control being needed to remove the mouse. Does noone own a cat at broadcasting house ?
    It’s clearly full of metropolitan types who have never come across anything so horrible as a dead mouse before. Get a piece of card, slide it under the box, lift the whole thing up and put it in the bin outside.
    Or don't be a softcock and just pick the fucking thing up. When we all went Catch-22 at the end of the Basra triumph dead rodents were a source of much humour. In an attempt to stem the biblical plague at the airport they were poisoned in great numbers so great mirth could be obtained by putting one in your oppo's boot while he slept.

HYUFD said:

I still think one of the great what ifs is if the revelation about John Major's playing hide the purple parsnip with Edwina Currie broke at the height of Back to Basics.

I reckon a resignation followed by Ken Clarke becoming PM.

I reckon Hezza's dicky ticker would have ruled him out.

Portillo was too young and callow and the MPs were still one nation aligned and the members didn't get a look in.

Major only won in 1990 as he was not Heseltine and MPs voted for Hague over Clarke in 1997.

More likely Michael Howard may have taken over if Portillo did not get it
    No way. Howard was toxic at that time, and Widdecombe would have torpedoed him.
    The Derek Lewis affair was well after Major would have gone because of Currie

HYUFD said:

I still think one of the great what ifs is if the revelation about John Major's playing hide the purple parsnip with Edwina Currie broke at the height of Back to Basics.

Portillo was too young and callow and the MPs were still one nation aligned and the members didn't get a look in.

Major only won in 1990 as he was not Heseltine and MPs voted for Hague over Clarke in 1997.

I am not sure whether you are just blinkered by your hatred of anyone pro-EU, but your analysis is way out. Ken Clarke had a huge following then in the PCP. Michael Howard was no-where near
    Evidence? Clarke would have got mainly the same MPs backing him who backed Heseltine in 1990 when Heseltine lost to Major
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Sandpit said:

Well there goes what was left of Boris’ leadership ambitions. If his own wife can’t trust him then why should the rest of us?

Did it shake your trust in John Major, when you found out about his affair ?

As if him getting divorced will make an iota of difference. How many times has Corbyn been married?
    I agree , do not think it has any relevance for Boris to become PM.

Still think he is the Conservatives best candidate as a campaigner.

I always thought the Darius Guppy affair , was more damaging.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/darius-boris-and-a-blast-from-the-past-1658043.html

However never seemed to do any real harm to him , as London Mayor.
    The reported comment of his daughter calling him a 'selfish bastard' is perhaps damaging, too.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Alistair said:

Remember that incredibly tricky "lawyerly trick" question that Kavanaugh was asked during the confirmation hearing, the one where Kavanaugh acted like he'd never even heard of the law firm?

Turns out he's close friends with an attorney who works at the firm.

The Republicans really are still sore about Bork and are looking to settle scores.

Kamala Harris is a star. No wonder she is favourite for Democrat nominee. She ticks all the boxes. She is number 46. At 10s on Betfair.
    No she is not, at the moment Biden and Sanders are followed by Warren.
    On Betfair she's the favourite.
    Which does not correlate with the Democratic primary polling at all where she is barely an asterisk including in early voting states and in general election polling Trump has beaten Harris but he always trails Biden and Sanders
    Because punters know polling this far out usually isn't an accurate predictor of the nominee.
    It was for Romney 2012 or Dole 1996 or Mondale 1984 in terms of candidates selected against incumbent Presidents
    But wrong on many many other occasions.
  • So not 'dead in the water' then:

No, the UK just has to concede on the single market and the customs union...

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1038026956149796866?s=21
    Good on yer Barnier. The Leaver headbangers need to be reminded that the modern EU is essentially a Thatcherite construct, which is why Corbyn hates it so much.

The single market was largely her brainchild and the denationalisations that took place across Europe and the liberalisation of markets that followed and the integration of Eastern Europe into the EU were things that would not have happened without British membership and Mrs Thatcher's leadership. To paraphrase Bob Hoskins in The Long Good Friday "UKIP? ha, I've shit 'em"
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Nigelb said:

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Sandpit said:

Did it shake your trust in John Major, when you found out about his affair ?

As if him getting divorced will make an iota of difference. How many times has Corbyn been married?
    I agree , do not think it has any relevance for Boris to become PM.

Still think he is the Conservatives best candidate as a campaigner.

I always thought the Darius Guppy affair , was more damaging.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/darius-boris-and-a-blast-from-the-past-1658043.html

However never seemed to do any real harm to him , as London Mayor.
    The reported comment of his daughter calling him a 'selfish bastard' is perhaps damaging, too.</blockquote

My apologies, not read that.
    Yes that is not great.

HYUFD said:

I am not sure whether you are just blinkered by your hatred of anyone pro-EU, but your analysis is way out. Ken Clarke had a huge following then in the PCP. Michael Howard was no-where near
    I thinks it’s more that HYUFD sees both the past and the future through the prism of the present. Things were different then, just as they will be different in the future.
    If things were different then Heseltine would have won the Tory leadership in 1990 and Clarke the Tory leadership in 1997
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Evidence? Clarke would have got mainly the same MPs backing him who backed Heseltine in 1990 when Heseltine lost to Major
    Clarke was a more substantial figure then than Heseltine was in 1990.
  • Roger said:

Suprising how much bullshit is written about the Middle East. Lebanon which doesn't recognise Israel (wants to drive them into the sea PB speak)... is full of Jews.

Lebanon is the most religiously diverse country in the Middle East.[178] As of 2014 the CIA World Factbook estimates the following: Muslim 54% (27% Sunni Islam, 27% Shia Islam), Christian 40.5% (includes 21% Maronite Catholic, 8% Greek Orthodox, 5% Melkite Catholic, 1% Protestant, 5.5% other Christian), Druze 5.6%, very small numbers of Jews, Baha'is, Buddhists, Hindus and Mormons.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanon

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Absurd. As Bill Clinton, Trump, Berlusconi, Mitterand and Chirac proved voters do not care about politicians private lives if they connect with them.on the issues of the day.

If not Boris anyway his supporters will just transfer en masse to Mogg as the next best anti Chequers Deal and pro hard Brexit candidate
    Well that could be true. I suppose the one advantage of Boris is that he doesn't really believe in Brexit because although he looks stupid he isn't, and also he has the other advantage of not looking like an unfortunate love child from a union between Heinrich Himmler and Walter the Softy
    If Boris goes you get Mogg, who really does believe in hard Brexit above all else
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Physically, if not metaphorically.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sources my dear chap. Trust me, you are talking out of your bottom.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yet he stil lost in 1997 and most MPs in marginal seats in 1997 were Thatcherites of some form

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sources my dear chap. Trust me, you are talking out of your bottom.
    No I am not. Clarke was ideologically almost identical to Heseltine and would have got the same MPs backing him
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Absurd. As Bill Clinton, Trump, Berlusconi, Mitterand and Chirac proved voters do not care about politicians private lives if they connect with them.on the issues of the day.

If not Boris anyway his supporters will just transfer en masse to Mogg as the next best anti Chequers Deal and pro hard Brexit candidate
    Well that could be true. I suppose the one advantage of Boris is that he doesn't really believe in Brexit because although he looks stupid he isn't, and also he has the other advantage of not looking like an unfortunate love child from a union between Heinrich Himmler and Walter the Softy
    If Boris goes you get Mogg, who really does believe in hard Brexit above all else
    I think once again you are showing your "shit tinted spectacles" naïvety. Mogg would not be able to carry the Parliamentary Party and he knows it. Boris would struggle too. It is not going to happen, sorry to spoil your nationalistic wet dream.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yet he stil lost in 1997 and most MPs in marginal seats in 1997 were Thatcherites of some form
    Yes but they weren’t electing a PM in 97. Clarke was also a Thatcherite of some form.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    The ego has landed

Irish expecting fun with Trump.
    Coveney also being very conciliatory on lots of issues - including Trump Brexit and Karen Bradley

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/donald-trumps-visit-to-ireland-will-definitely-be-controversial-simon-coveney-37292760.html
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

You wouldn’t get me going within 5 miles of this box

https://twitter.com/tseofpb/status/1038004480044875776?s=21

Lol @ Pest control being needed to remove the mouse. Does noone own a cat at broadcasting house ?
    It’s clearly full of metropolitan types who have never come across anything so horrible as a dead mouse before. Get a piece of card, slide it under the box, lift the whole thing up and put it in the bin outside.
    Or don't be a softcock and just pick the fucking thing up. When we all went Catch-22 at the end of the Basra triumph dead rodents were a source of much humour. In an attempt to stem the biblical plague at the airport they were poisoned in great numbers so great mirth could be obtained by putting one in your oppo's boot while he slept.
    LOL. I’m sure a large pile of military war zone humour would go down really well at the BBC :D
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Mr. Pioneers, we'll see if there's a split. But if the moderate frogs don't jump soon, they'll be boiled.

Starting a new party is difficult under FPTP but it's a hell of a lot easier if you're the official Opposition and have 100+ MPs to start with. If those MPs just retire, accept the Cult of Jezbollah, or are deselected, the major presence of the left in British politics won't be split. It'll just be so far to the left they think marching with hammers and sickles is normal human behaviour.

Still, I'm sure Corbyn will lay a wreath for the fallen moderates.

Its not the party thats the problem. Its the deranged entryist fucks who have swept in who think its solidarity to invite in fucking Press TV who can air a special of their meeting inbetween a programme explaining the evils of Israel and why it needs to be swept into the sea and why gay men need tl be persecuted and executed.

We cannot leave. We will not leave. Because if we do these fuckwads hand the country to the Tories.
    It's too late.
    Join us in the North East Party and help build a reasonable progressive alternative.
    Build a Tory majority having split the left you mean
    Let’s play a thought game

Corbyn wins the next election and you play an important role in that

A handful of British-born Jews leave the country voluntarily because they no longer feel welcome

Are you proud of yourself?
    British Jews leave the country every year but this will only be headline news under Corbyn, and it will be headline news.
    *because they no longer feel welcome*

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

I think once again you are showing your "shit tinted spectacles" naïvety. Mogg would not be able to carry the Parliamentary Party and he knows it. Boris would struggle too. It is not going to happen, sorry to spoil your nationalistic wet dream.
    The ERG have enough to get a candidate into the final 2 with MPs even of not to win with MPs as the Right did with IDS, Davis and Leadsom.

It is very unlikely Tory Remainers can engineer a Javid v Hunt final 2 which is the only way to stop Boris or Mogg

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes but they weren’t electing a PM in 97. Clarke was also a Thatcherite of some form.
    It was being very pro EU that distinguished Clarke and Heseltine from Thatcher certainly in her final years and after
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

The ERG have enough to get a candidate into the final 2 with MPs even of not to win with MPs as the Right did with IDS, Davis and Leadsom.

It is very unlikely Tory Remainers can engineer a Javid v Hunt final 2 which is the only way to stop Boris or Mogg
    Mogg will stop himself. He is not popular in parliament. Boris will split the party. There are still quite a lot of members who are bright enough to realise that
  • Being unfaithful is one thing. Another is: unfaithful with whom, and under what circumstances?
  • better get some lunch...bye everyone
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    Blair's not exactly raising the morale of those moderates fighting for Labour's soul
  • It seems almost worth setting up a new centrist party just to see Twitter break.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1038034698897973250
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Hmm. Well quite. I'm always suspicious of the "someone says someone said" story. Indirect sourcing wasn't allowed until recently.

Stephen Kinnock said that Michel Barnier said it was dead in the water...

As I have said to you before, I think Barnier and May get on pretty well and will do a deal between them. Everything – and everyone – else is just noise.
    edited September 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Mogg will stop himself. He is not popular in parliament. Boris will split the party. There are still quite a lot of members who are bright enough to realise that
    Mogg will likely stand if Boris does not, not out of ambition but to ensure hard Brexit is delivered which he cares about above all else. Though Priti Patel might stand if Boris drops out in which case Mogg could back her and she probably wins as a result.

Boris and Mogg combined have more support in the latest ConHome Tory members poll than all the other candidates put together
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    HYUFD said:

Boris and Mogg combined have more support in the latest ConHome Tory members poll than all the other candidates put together

If I wanted to win a general election I'd probably do the exact opposite of whatever ConHome Tory members want.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Mogg will likely stand if Boris does not, not out of ambition but to ensure hard Brexit is delivered which he cares about above all else. Though Priti Patel might stand if Boris drops out in which case Mogg could back her and she probably wins as a result.

Alternatively I suppose MPs could pick David Davis by coronation as he opposed Chequers and is just about acceptable to members
  • NEW THREAD

• HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

That would be my ideal result. Nothing to do with having a couple of quid on at c 50/1 obvs.
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

If I wanted to win a general election I'd probably do the exact opposite of whatever ConHome Tory members want.
    ConHome Tory members voted for Cameron in 2005 in their poll then and members in the leadershop election and who won the 2015 general election and most seats in 2010

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

That would be my ideal result. Nothing to do with having a couple of quid on at c 50/1 obvs.
    She is an excellent outside bet
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Not an unqualified success.....nor was bachelor Heath.....
    Reagan was a divorcee and certainly was
    Reagan had been married to Nancy for nearly 30 years when he became President....

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    HYUFD said:

I'm no authority on Mogg, but I read him as essentially like Corbyn in that he's not very ambitious personally but is very keen on certain issues being effectively promoted. So I think your conclusions are right - he will stand if he thinks he's the most effective candidate for Moggism.
This discussion has been closed.