Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Would Remain win a second re

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Would Remain win a second referendum and could Brexit lead to a united Ireland?

On this week’s PB / Polling Matters podcast, Keiran Pedley and Leo Barasi look at a new report by NatCen suggesting that attitudes to Brexit are shifting and that Brits would vote Remain next time.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I've not had a first for ages.
  • Nuke Russia and lock up their defenders in the UK.

https://twitter.com/BBCHelenaLee/status/1037814509036023813
  • The Sun front page is Boris' marital strife - wife's kicked him out, apparently.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,652
    Joan Ryan vote of no confidence passed 95-92
  • The Sun front page is Boris' marital strife - wife's kicked him out, apparently.

Oh dear.
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1037816728401731584
  • Marina Wheeler booted Boris out after suspecting he had cheated on her again, in the aftermath of his resignation as Foreign Secretary,

Boris’s daughter Lara Johnson-Wheeler told friends that her dad “is a selfish bastard". Added: "Mum is finished with him. She will never take him back now”.

Oh dear.
    Aye, that's not a good look for someone hoping to appeal to a load of septuagenarian party members in a forthcoming leadership election.

Or maybe Marina Wheeler has just been playing the long game, and waiting for the optimum moment to knife him? A secret Gove-ite?
  • "Boris Johnson wasn’t going to endorse “alternative plan” and now it’s not happening"

Probably because there isn't an alternative plan that doesn't just read 'Cripes, erm, I mean, crikey, we seem to have, erm, erm, did we really, crikey, erm, erm ... anyone remember wiff-waff?"
  • Marina Wheeler booted Boris out after suspecting he had cheated on her again, in the aftermath of his resignation as Foreign Secretary,

Boris’s daughter Lara Johnson-Wheeler told friends that her dad “is a selfish bastard". Added: "Mum is finished with him. She will never take him back now”.

So that is why he has backed down today. Boris has had his day

Oh dear.
    Aye, that's not a good look for someone hoping to appeal to a load of septuagenarian party members in a forthcoming leadership election.

Or maybe Marina Wheeler has just been playing the long game, and waiting for the optimum moment to knife him? A secret Gove-ite?
    Boris has had to leave two homes in a month.
  • Joan Ryan vote of no confidence passed 95-92

Tight.
  • The ex-liberal democrat voting, now communist, wing of the Corbynista are delighted:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1037817426430369792
  • You can't trust a man who betrays his wife, because if he can betray his wife he can quite easily betray his country.

Socially conservative Tory members won't vote for Boris, even if he makes it into the final two.

Lay Boris like one of his many many mistresses.
  • You can't trust a man who betrays his wife, because if he can betray his wife he can quite easily betray his country.

Socially conservative Tory members won't vote for Boris, even if he makes it into the final two.

Perhaps Boris could pack it in altogether if he gives up on ever being PM?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,166

I've not had a first for ages.

Didn’t you have a first pineapple pizza only this evening ?

• The trouble with Boris going down in flames is that it might make the membership agitate for JRM even more.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 59,942
    edited September 2018

You can't trust a man who betrays his wife, because if he can betray his wife he can quite easily betray his country.

Journalism beckons

Well it wouldn't be the first time Boris the Coward has pulled out when things have gotten awkward for him.

CF the 2016 Tory leadership election.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755

The ex-liberal democrat voting, now communist, wing of the Corbynista are delighted:

Joan Ryan's offence seems to be that she is personable and competent.
  • Nigelb said:

I had one in May this year.

Probably means she’ll be fine given how close the vote was. The Jew-haters turned out in force for what was a symbolic lynching, most of the non-racists stayed away.

Marina Wheeler booted Boris out after suspecting he had cheated on her again, in the aftermath of his resignation as Foreign Secretary,

Boris is a heterosexual Jeremy Thorpe.
    FPT, @ Foxy...
    I highly recommend "On the Eve" as a fascinating picture of the diversity of European Jewry, in all its complexity and factions. One cannot travel, particularly in Eastern Europe, without feeling the loss of a vibrant strand of European culture.

https://profilebooks.com/on-the-eve.html

Cheers for that.

You might be interested in the work of Dovid Katz, a formidable scholar of Lithuanian Yiddish culture (who has crossed swords with historian Timothy Snyder on occasion):
    https://jewishstandard.timesofisrael.com/litvak-with-attitude/
  • Sean_F said:

Marina Wheeler booted Boris out after suspecting he had cheated on her again, in the aftermath of his resignation as Foreign Secretary,

Are any dogs dead?
  • Sean_F said:

I hope none of his mistresses don't have any dogs.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,489
    welshowl said:

Dr Fox

Ok. I trade twice as much ( and growing) with the rest of the world compared to the EU. I am not going to “lose” EU business because of Brexit but I might gain better a access elsewhere.

To give a concrete example: we have a contract in Europe that’s up for renewal after three years next month. Just had our sales guy sent over. Had a chat about, price, quality, delivery , (not just in time), usual stuff. All ok. Brexit not mentioned once. Not once. Nor has it been by any of my suppliers, customers, or bloody anyone outside this forum for twenty six months. The pant wetting in here ( not you doc - just a general point) by people who do not actually trade, make stuff and ship it round the world is laughable.

It. Is. Just. Not. Being. Talked. About. Out. There. Not in my world.

Meanwhile if ( big if I accept, a new arrangement could get say Brazil fo lower their officious customs practices I might sell a lot more there. So Bre if might, just might ( and only might) help there.

What it is not going to cause is the end of my world, despite the fervent desire of many that it will.

The logical fallacy here is that if you trade less with the EU it creates more trade elsewhere. If you trade less with the EU, you trade less. Period. In fact you trade less with the rest of the world too because of interdependencies, but that's another issue.
  • The trouble with Boris going down in flames is that it might make the membership agitate for JRM even more.

Tonight is a big moment for the ERG. Boris star has fallen and if he is not banging the drum there is no one else near his gravitas to leavers

Tonight is a big moment for the ERG. Boris star has fallen and if he is not banging the drum there is no one else near his gravitas to leavers
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Nigelb said:

There’s not enough mind bleach..........

Sorry for double post
  • Sean_F said:

The ex-liberal democrat voting, now communist, wing of the Corbynista are delighted:

Joan Ryan's offence seems to be that she is personable and competent.
    She was IIRC one who was caught up in the Expenses scandal - so she is not without sin

Nigelb said:

Careful... you might develop a taste for them.

• Nigelb said:

Not had a mind bleach for a while.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

The trouble with Boris going down in flames is that it might make the membership agitate for JRM even more.

It’s clearly not just the drum that Boris has been banging.

Won't stop someone trying.
  • welshowl said:

Nigelb said:

There’s not enough mind bleach..........

Nigelb said:

Not had a mind bleach for a while.
    You're all perverts.

Why can't you have my standards of moral hygiene?

Probably means she’ll be fine given how close the vote was. The Jew-haters turned out in force for what was a symbolic lynching, most of the non-racists stayed away.

The aggression was from the pro Israel protesters outside including megaphone man." Labour are fascists" apparently
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Sounds like a rather unpleasant affair.

Perhaps it's ideal moment for a younger Brexiteer who doesn't have so much baggage to call for a break with the last two years and suggest we pause and rethink where we're going.
  • Jonathan said:

The trouble with Boris going down in flames is that it might make the membership agitate for JRM even more.

Indeed
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    FF43 said:

welshowl said:

Dr Fox

Ok. I trade twice as much ( and growing) with the rest of the world compared to the EU. I am not going to “lose” EU business because of Brexit but I might gain better a access elsewhere.

To give a concrete example: we have a contract in Europe that’s up for renewal after three years next month. Just had our sales guy sent over. Had a chat about, price, quality, delivery , (not just in time), usual stuff. All ok. Brexit not mentioned once. Not once. Nor has it been by any of my suppliers, customers, or bloody anyone outside this forum for twenty six months. The pant wetting in here ( not you doc - just a general point) by people who do not actually trade, make stuff and ship it round the world is laughable.

Meanwhile if ( big if I accept, a new arrangement could get say Brazil fo lower their officious customs practices I might sell a lot more there. So Bre if might, just might ( and only might) help there.

What it is not going to cause is the end of my world, despite the fervent desire of many that it will.

The logical fallacy here is that if you trade less with the EU it creates more trade elsewhere. If you trade less with the EU, you trade less. Period. In fact you trade less with the rest of the world too because of interdependencies, but that's another issue.
    Go and look at UK exports to RoW after our exports to the EU fell in the early 2010's.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,600
    edited September 2018
    Leave led the latest Survation poll this week and the EU referendum made no difference to the historic divide in Northern Irish politics given Protestants voted Leave and Catholics voted Remain

Perhaps it's ideal moment for a younger Brexiteer who doesn't have so much baggage to call for a break with the last two years and suggest we pause and rethink where we're going.
    They won't and that's that.

Where I think you go wrong is in thinking that people who support Brexit don't actually mean it.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,052
    Sean_F said:

No. He’s like his father, who treated Boris’s mother equally badly.
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

The one does not rule out the other.

If the Conservatives made Boris their leader, they'd be choosing someone like Thorpe who was extremely charismatic, but also appallingly reckless.
    FF43 said:

welshowl said:

Dr Fox

What the actual fuck are you on?

If I replace trade with the EU with more trade elsewhere ( which is exactly what I have done) I am trading more.
  • HYUFD said:

Leave led the latest Survation poll this week and the EU referendum made no difference to the historic divide in Northern Irish politics given Protestants voted Leave and Catholics voted Remain

So Boris has gone as a realistic leader now and has withdrawn his support for the alternative deal

You must be disappointed but a result as far as I am concerned

Oh for goodness sake almost everybody in the country knows Boris is a womaniser and that has been the case for years, if voters wanted someone with the Pope's private life they would have told pollsters they would not vote for Boris years ago.

As Bill Clinton, JFK, Berlusconi, Chirac, Mitterand etc prove having a colourful private life matters little if you have charisma and on the EU Boris remains closely aligned with the bulk of the Tory membership. Brexiteers who want a more traditionalist leader will just shift to the even harder line anti Chequers Deal and strict Catholic Jacob Rees-Mogg anyway, not a Remainer
    HYUFD said:

Oh for goodness sake almost everybody in the country knows Boris is a womaniser and that has been the case for years, if voters wanted someone with the Pope's private life they would have told pollsters they would not vote for Boris years ago.

As Bill Clinton, JFK, Berlusconi, Chirac, Mitterand etc prove having a colourful private life matters little if you have charisma and on the EU Boris remains closely aligned with the bulk of the Tory membership. Brexiteers who want a more traditionalist leader will just shift to the even harder line anti Chequers Deal and strict Catholic Jacob Rees-Mogg anyway, not a Remainer
    I don't think this will damage Boris

Journalism beckons
    Perhaps it’s not the moment you think it is.

Back May or get Corbin really helped to rally to May this year. But no one was really thinking Corbin. The word was algebra for Boris.

When great Satan’s gone, the whore of Babylon, just can’t exist with all that empty space.
  • HYUFD said:

Who was the last womaniser that became our PM?

We have higher standards than the French, Americans, and Italians.
    edited September 2018

You can't trust a man who betrays his wife, because if he can betray his wife he can quite easily betray his country.

According to rumours I have read online (whether you believe them or not is another matter) and of course the Major Currie affair at least 3/5 of our last PMs have committed adultery at least once since they were elected to the Commons and a majority of them after being elected PM
    HYUFD said:

There's womanising, and then, there's feasting with panthers.
  • Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

If the Conservatives made Boris their leader, they'd be choosing someone like Thorpe who was extremely charismatic, but also appallingly reckless.
    Yes, but. There was a lot more to Thorpe than promiscuity and a fine turn of phrase. There is little evidence beyond that for Boris.
  • Nice to know that Press TV were covering the Joan Ryan vote this evening.

Wonder who invited them?

The aggression was from the pro Israel protesters outside including megaphone man." Labour are fascists" apparently

Was Iranian state broadcaster Press TV given exclusive access to the vote by the Jewbaiters, do you think, or was it just the only outlet to decide to cover the symbolic lynching?

• Nuke Russia and lock up their defenders in the UK.

https://twitter.com/BBCHelenaLee/status/1037814509036023813

Am I alone in thinking the timing of all this skerpal data, just as parliament returns and PMQs has been a masterpiece, cynical but masterpiece by Downing Street business managers? Tess’s most prime ministerial episode (on a greatest hits album of one track, but a good track) and the wonks say, let’s just have it on repeat as many times we can then?

And would you agree with me, the whole song would go completely stale if the leader of opposition could actually say: totally agree with everything you say, it’s an absolute outrage what they’ve done to us. But what are you actually doing about it? Sanctions! Go after the dirty money? The yanks have gone further than you, for all your bluster you are actually doing diddly squat!

Was Iranian state broadcaster Press TV given exclusive access to the vote by the Jewbaiters, do you think, or was it just the only outlet to decide to cover the symbolic lynching?

On checking, I see that her true offence was siding with the Zionist world rapers.
  • HYUFD said:

And now they know he's a womaniser who isn't trusted by his wife

If his wife can't trust him, who can?
  • HYUFD said:

He saw the chief whip today and withdrew the alternative deal support

They are now giving TM until November

Conference should be less aggresive as TM agrees a deal for us.

Boris will never be PM (sure there is an abbreviation for that)
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 43,866

HYUFD said:

Lloyd George?
  • HYUFD said:

Major :)
    edited September 2018

Great. So, there won’t be anybody outside the entrance to the Tory conference this year yelling “Tory scum” as people go in? Or should such a shockingly unexpected event occur we can all be safe in the assurance that you will condemn it totally on here?

So that’s fine then.

HYUFD said:

Eden perhaps but plenty of PMs have made use of prostitutes at one time or another or had at least one affair

HYUFD said:

So Boris has gone as a realistic leader now and has withdrawn his support for the alternative deal

No it makes little difference to Boris as I posted, if it boosts anybody it boosts the traditionalist strict Catholic ultra Brexiteer Mogg
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,775
    edited September 2018

"My friends, as I have discovered myself, there are no disasters, only opportunities. And, indeed, opportunities for fresh disasters!" - Boris in 2004.

Can’t agree with you. She is open about rather have Tess for PM than Jez. The 92 need to be targeted next. Labour clearly still have a bad infestation of New Labour pestilence.
  • Sean_F said:

They won't and that's that.

Where I think you go wrong is in thinking that people who support Brexit don't actually mean it.
    That's fair to an extent, but I certainly don't think all of the people upon whose support it depends are true believers who would back it at any cost.
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

If the Tories pick a dull leader as 2017 proved Corbyn may well win, he almost won last time
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Lloyd George?
    TSE isn’t Welsh, so “we” probably doesn’t apply in the case of Lloyd George. Which is kind of fair enough really.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it makes little difference to Boris as I posted, if it boosts anybody it boosts the traditionalist strict Catholic ultra Brexiteer Mogg
    You protest too much. ERG have lost their key player
  • Note that Joan Ryan is the first example so far to fall victim to the mob without being a Leaver. @RochdalePioneers has maintained that a Labour MP needs both to fall foul of the Corbynistas and to support Brexit to run into trouble. I believe he is right that that has been the case up till now, but I think that, as the mob overruns even more of the party, just the former will suffice. We'll see more examples.

HYUFD said:

Voters are electing a PM not the Pope or Archbishop of Canterbury, almost half the males in the country have had affairs and more so if they have power and money
  • HYUFD said:

Major :)
    I think there's a difference between 'having an affair' (Major) and being 'a womaniser' (implies serial affairs)

HYUFD said:

He saw the chief whip today and withdrew the alternative deal support

They are now giving TM until November

Conference should be less aggresive as TM agrees a deal for us.

Boris will never be PM (sure there is an abbreviation for that)
    It will be Bino Chequers with more services regulation alignment to get a transition deal, how long May can carry that on without a free trade deal is the question, if no deal by the next general election a harder line Brexiteer will likely replace her
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Eden perhaps but plenty of PMs have made use of prostitutes at one time or another or had at least one affair
    So that is the level of integrity you want for our PM - words fail me
  • welshowl said:

Great. So, there won’t be anybody outside the entrance to the Tory conference this year yelling “Tory scum” as people go in? Or should such a shockingly unexpected event occur we can all be safe in the assurance that you will condemn it totally on here?

So that’s fine then.

You're a bit behind the times, mate. They'll be standing outside the Labour conference yelling “Tory scum” as delegates go in.
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Lloyd George?
    Yes and Lloyd George, for all his high libido, was probably after Churchill and Attlee the 3rd best PM of the first half of the 20th century
  • welshowl said:

So that’s fine then.

"Corbyn is an anti-semitic Nazi." Discuss.
    edited September 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You protest too much. ERG have lost their key player
    The Tory membership dislike Chequers as all the polls show, if Boris is down, then Mogg is up and vice versa, none of them are suddenly going to shift to a pro Chequers Deal candidate whoever Boris is bonking
  • Jonathan said:

It’s a great moment for ERG, Boris was never the leader. Too loose a cannon, far too much baggage. Step forward Mogg. Voters don’t do left or right. They do genuine. They support what is open and real, not spun and snidey.

At last, after the most ludicrous weeks yet since Brexit vote, some sanity about the chequers proposal. How could we seriously have a negotiation with ourselves about ourselves, and then claim that's final deal for everybody? Chequers backers have absolutely shredded what was left of their credibility trying to claim that.

Victory is in sight now.

• Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Lloyd George?

That was the first one that I got to too - either our PMs have been very good at covering up their infidelities, or found the day job quite consuming. If a recent one might have had the character of a womaniser it would be Blair - but there's little/no evidence that thats the case (Wendi Deng story?) and the Blair marriage seems happy.
  • HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

If the Tories pick a dull leader as 2017 proved Corbyn may well win, he almost won last time
    "Almost winning" by being over 50 seats behind the Tories?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,828
    edited September 2018
    welshowl said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Lloyd George?
    TSE isn’t Welsh, so “we” probably doesn’t apply in the case of Lloyd George. Which is kind of fair enough really.
    I'm British as the Queen.

We means any one from the UK including the ram shaggers.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,798
    The idea that the top 3 possible replacements for May were Corbyn, JRM and Boris probably goes a long way to explaining why she is still there. You can only beat what's in front of you, and Champion of the Isthmian League North is still Champion. Sad for the country though.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Voters are electing a PM not the Pope or Archbishop of Canterbury, almost half the males in the country have had affairs and more so if they have power and money
    And tell me why should it be a male.

Note that Joan Ryan is the first example so far to fall victim to the mob without being a Leaver. @RochdalePioneers has maintained that a Labour MP needs both to fall foul of the Corbynistas and to support Brexit to run into trouble. I believe he is right that that has been the case up till now, but I think that, as the mob overruns even more of the party, just the former will suffice. We'll see more examples.

Danton, Robespierre ( or was it the other way round? I can never remember), Directorate, Consulate, then Napoleon. Revolution eats itself.

I’m only concerned it doesn’t eat the rest of us along the way. What the hell decent folk like Ummuna, Kinnock, Phillips, Gapes, etc are doing with these loons is beyond me. Unless they are awaiting their moment to do the decent thing and disassociate totally.
  • Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

There's womanising, and then, there's feasting with panthers.
    Or cougars..
  • I’m going to really enjoy writing the next thread on Boris.
  • welshowl said:

So that’s fine then.

You're a bit behind the times, mate. They'll be standing outside the Labour conference yelling “Tory scum” as delegates go in.
    Surreal but so true

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And tell me why should it be a male.
    Well it already is a female at the moment (though of course women have affairs too but to a less extent than men)
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited September 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Generally, women (more than half the electorate) aren't keen on 'men who have affairs' (and men vice versa) - but I think you are missing the bigger point - "trust". If his wife can't trust him - can you?
  • Note that Joan Ryan is the first example so far to fall victim to the mob without being a Leaver. @RochdalePioneers has maintained that a Labour MP needs both to fall foul of the Corbynistas and to support Brexit to run into trouble. I believe he is right that that has been the case up till now, but I think that, as the mob overruns even more of the party, just the former will suffice. We'll see more examples.

Not sure she has fallen foul. Less than 200 voted. The result was very close. The CLP membership is pretty large. I could be wrong, but this looks like a committed band of Corbyn-backing Jewbaiters securing a narrow win in a symbolic vote.
  • Jonathan said:

It’s a great moment for ERG, Boris was never the leader. Too loose a cannon, far too much baggage. Step forward Mogg. Voters don’t do left or right. They do genuine. They support what is open and real, not spun and snidey.

At last, after the most ludicrous weeks yet since Brexit vote, some sanity about the chequers proposal. How could we seriously have a negotiation with ourselves about ourselves, and then claim that's final deal for everybody? Chequers backers have absolutely shredded what was left of their credibility trying to claim that.

Victory is in sight now.

With the greatest of respect it is over for ERG.
  • welshowl said:

Note that Joan Ryan is the first example so far to fall victim to the mob without being a Leaver. @RochdalePioneers has maintained that a Labour MP needs both to fall foul of the Corbynistas and to support Brexit to run into trouble. I believe he is right that that has been the case up till now, but I think that, as the mob overruns even more of the party, just the former will suffice. We'll see more examples.

Danton, Robespierre ( or was it the other way round? I can never remember), Directorate, Consulate, then Napoleon. Revolution eats itself.

I’m only concerned it doesn’t eat the rest of us along the way. What the hell decent folk like Ummuna, Kinnock, Phillips, Gapes, etc are doing with these loons is beyond me. Unless they are awaiting their moment to do the decent thing and disassociate totally.
    As Phil Collins wrote this afternoon. They are waiting/hoping for a Tory win.
  • I’m going to really enjoy writing the next thread on Boris.

Please take the hand brake off and make sure not to hold back.. .
This discussion has been closed.