Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Tory MPs must stop the Tory DUP deal from happening

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Tory MPs must stop the Tory DUP deal from happening

Tory MPs tell BuzzFeed their inboxes are full of complaints from constituents about the DUP's gay rights record. https://t.co/igAMRsBLy4 pic.twitter.com/D1bAblrMdG

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    First.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    I agree this is awful
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,223
    edited June 2017
    Third (class, like May)
  • Options
    Most Brits know surprisingly little about NI, and have no great desire to do so, repelled (we older ones, at least) by our distant memories of the news bulletins of the 1980s and earlier. In the past at least, when polled most Brits expressed an indifference about the province and a sizeable minority were quite willing to let it go.

The electorate wont welcome its having so much influence on the party that won a previous election on the back of scare stories about the Scots?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 896
    Don't blame Mrs May for issuing the wrong statement. Blame her staff and advisers - she does.
  • Options
    Tory MPs are boiling with rage at Mrs May for squandering what was supposed to be the unlosable election. “A horror show” is one of the more printable descriptions I have collected. Yet they will allow her to limp on a bit because they cannot yet see their way to a viable alternative. Once they do, she will be gone.

Many darkly joke that it is Mrs May who has ended up inflicting a “coalition of chaos” on the country. It may be closer to the mark to suggest that we will be governed by a coalition of paralysis.

Britain has a zombie prime minister.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/11/theresa-may-election-leadership-living-dead-no-power
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    "Article I of The Good Friday Agreement stating that the UK and Irish governments should act with “rigorous impartiality on behalf of all the people in the diversity of their identities and traditions"

They should bring Sinn Fein into the deal as well.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2017
    Interesting article TSE. I'm sure most will agree with your assessment of the hole Theresa is digging for herself and her party but what your entertaining header is short on is what to do next.

The problem with a leadership election is firstly that it will be divisive which isn't a good idea when you have so few votes to play with and secondly the result it'll throw up will almost certainly be catastrophic.

That is to say Boris is almost sure to win.

That is the person who is more responsible for this mess than Theresa herself. She was just incompetent. He was malevolent. He makes Iago seem like a mischievous little tinker. You'd suffer a no confidence vote within weeks.

Mps crossing the floor would make the HoC look like Timpsons.

I'm afraid you've got to make this arrangement work
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    A nice impartial article there, almost completely built around something the rather colourful Sammy Wilson said 25 years ago.

PB deserves better than this.
  • Options
    The critical flaw with the arrangement is that there is no hope for either party of coming out of it the other end with any prospect of electoral success. From Day One it would transform the possible into the inevitable, and spending potentially years waiting for the opposition to take power is a truly desperate limbo for our country to be in.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Tory MPs are boiling with rage at Mrs May for squandering what was supposed to be the unlosable election. “A horror show” is one of the more printable descriptions I have collected. Yet they will allow her to limp on a bit because they cannot yet see their way to a viable alternative. Once they do, she will be gone.

Many darkly joke that it is Mrs May who has ended up inflicting a “coalition of chaos” on the country. It may be closer to the mark to suggest that we will be governed by a coalition of paralysis.

Britain has a zombie prime minister.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/11/theresa-may-election-leadership-living-dead-no-power

A very entertaining article by AR. I particularly liked " ........An election called with the naked purpose of crushing all opposition has instead demolished her own authority. This is the worst self-inflicted disaster to befall a prime minister since, well, since last summer, when David Cameron immolated himself with the Brexit referendum."
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Lib Dems having refused to enter any arrangement with the Conservatives and the DUP having refused to enter any arrangement with Labour, and a government of national unity being a non-starter, there is literally no other combination that produces a stable government. So the country is going to be stuck with it.

It would be fair to ask Tim Farron a couple of questions about his stance.
  • Options

The Lib Dems having refused to enter any arrangement with the Conservatives and the DUP having refused to enter any arrangement with Labour, and a government of national unity being a non-starter, there is literally no other combination that produces a stable government. So the country is going to be stuck with it.

Ask him if it's a sin?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,908
    In a few short weeks May's undone the twelve years of work Cameron, Osborne and co. did to detoxify the party.

It's incredible.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    So the CCCC - Conservative Crackpot Coalition of Chaos - has started as it means to go on.

Anecdote Alert - Mrs JackW was a lady who lunched yesterday, with like minded small "c" conservative ladies. To my mind the "Axis of Evil Shoe-Buyers Alliance". She advised me that a peripheral discussion took place about the CCCC. Two of the ladies have close gay relatives and they were scathing about the prospect of the CCCC.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Ask him if it's a sin?
    For all the comments about him before the election, Farron's come out of this election much stronger than expected.
  • Options
    One point that Rawnsley makes which I think has been underestimated is the extent to which this election is retribution in many Cities and University towns for having Brexit forced on them.
  • Options

In a few short weeks May's undone the twelve years of work Cameron, Osborne and co. did to detoxify the party.

It's incredible.

Steve Hilton's journey is worth looking at in that context. If ever anyone needed evidence that an advertisers job is to sell other people's products and ideas and stick to that they need to look no further.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

GeoffM said:

Ask him if it's a sin?
    For all the comments about him before the election, Farron's come out of this election much stronger than expected.
    Indeed. Whilst the LibDems' position still looks precarious, there is a small batch of seats where they are close behind the Tories and a larger batch where they will always be the alternative of choice, if (when) people turn against the Tories. It is hard to see any scenario mapping out over the next few years that ends well for the Conservatives - in a single day expectations of Tory rule for another decade have turned into the near certainty of a long if delayed spell in opposition - and most likely we face a looming 1997 scenario. That could go very well for the LibDems in many southern seats.

Meanwhile they have an obvious role in championing the path away from hard Brexit and helping Labour to rediscover its better sense on the EU issue. Being on the fence suited Labour very well in this election - contrary to most expectations including mine - but it is an unsustainable position for the next government in waiting to maintain.

Meanwhile we can return to enjoying seeing Conservatives lose Council by-elections every Thursday night; always the highlight of the PB'er's week.
  • Options
    Roger said:

It's incredible.

Steve Hilton's journey is worth looking at in that context. If ever anyone needed evidence that an advertisers job is to sell other people's products and ideas and stick to that they need to look no further.
    Do you think Steve Hilton would be a better tampon salesman than you were?
  • Options
    bazzer72bazzer72 Posts: 29
    Roger said:

One point that Rawnsley makes which I think has been underestimated is the extent to which this election is retribution in many Cities and University towns for having Brexit forced on them.

Roger, I don't disagree with the essence of your point, but the reality is it wasn't "forced on them" really was it? They were too idle to bother to vote, and then outraged when their indolence landed them in that situation. The incident has finally woken them up a little...
  • Options
    bazzer72 said:

Roger said:

Roger, I don't disagree with the essence of your point, but the reality is it wasn't "forced on them" really was it? They were too idle to bother to vote, and then outraged when their indolence landed them in that situation. The incident has finally woken them up a little...
    "too idle to bother to vote"

This is the sort of thinking and excuse-making that comes back to bite you on the backside. As the Conservatives have just discovered.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Ask him if it's a sin?
    Sorry he hasn't. Spent yesterday at the cricket -Lutterworth lost to Market Harborough -with the Guardian's results supplement. Made painful reading for the Liberal Democrats - I lost count of the number of lost deposits - and that is with the deposit being lost at under 5%.

Farron didn't make much of an impact during the election and most of it - not all - from people I spoke to was negative. The Andrew Neil interview was mentioned by many as very poor.

Delighted that the number of MPs went up due to hard fought ground wars in a few constituencies but where were second places?

We don't need a new leader yet - but think Farron should go in about 6 months.
  • Options
    The Conservatives need to decide which is their priority out of hard Brexit and keeping Jeremy Corbyn out of power.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Gutted that I missed the return of @619 on the last thread. :(
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Roger said:

It's incredible.

A good salesman would point out that he couldn't sell a tampon without a string. The product that you are selling is important.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Gutted that I missed the return of @619 on the last thread. :(

Presumably in honour of Theresa May's uncanny imitation of Hillary Clinton.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    According to the ONS, 3.3% of 18 to 24 year olds identified as LGB in 2015:

https://tinyurl.com/hqwjq3w

I've taken the 18 to 24 year old figure as I'd imagine they're a bit more likely to be open about it, but anyway that would translate to something like 21 MPs. So to get 45 MPs I'd suggest they're doing well.

Not that it should matter, of course.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

GeoffM said:

Ask him if it's a sin?
    Sorry he hasn't. Spent yesterday at the cricket -Lutterworth lost to Market Harborough -with the Guardian's results supplement. Made painful reading for the Liberal Democrats - I lost count of the number of lost deposits - and that is with the deposit being lost at under 5%.

Farron didn't make much of an impact during the election and most of it - not all - from people I spoke to was negative. The Andrew Neil interview was mentioned by many as very poor.

Delighted that the number of MPs went up due to hard fought ground wars in a few constituencies but where were second places?

We don't need a new leader yet - but think Farron should go in about 6 months.
    Farron f'ed up on a simple question. However they increased their number of seats due to careful targeting (although I'm still unsure why they put so many resources into my constituency).

Read what people were predicting on here: most (with the exception of some like RCS) were predicting fewer seats or even essentially a wipeout. It did not occur.

As I said in about 2012: Farron's the person to rebuild the party. He isn't the person to lead them into a GE. Sadly a GE was called early, but he did more than wipe his face.

But looking to the future, there are opportunities. What the Lib Dems do next depends on whether there's going to be another election in the next two years. If there is, Farron should stand down with his head held high and remain working in the background (back to president, where he can continue working behind the scenes?)

I'd also look to try to appeal to Conservative and Labour MPs who might be fed up with their party's current position and leaders.

There is another positive: the Lib Dems got swamped in the media by not just Conservative and Labour, but UKIP and the SNP. With those two parties on the decline, it may be possible for the Lib Dems to gain more prominence. But they need better positioning.
  • Options
    How many people on here actually support May's position wrt the DUP?
  • Options
    Anecdote alert. Bloke up the pub last night told my dad he voted Labour for the first time in his life on Thursday. Why? He has six grandchildren and he think it's outrageous that they should be saddled with so much debt if they go to university. And the Scots get it for nothing.
  • Options

They are as democratically elected as any of the other MPs. They have as much right to be part of a government - or even just support the government - as any other MPs.

But that's not the issue. The issue here is that Theresa May called this election looking for an increased majority. She has to go and I really think we need another election. And if that means Labour get in, so be it.
  • Options

The image of Arlene Foster and Teresa May in bed together has just flashed into my head.
  • Options

It depends what you mean by her position.

There is literally no other available combination of parties that produces a government with any stability. Dealing with the DUP is Hobson's choice. But the Conservatives should be doing so with a long spoon rather than enthusiasm. Just as if they'd had to deal with UKIP.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    Been on a different planet for 24 hours and just caught up with TSE's piece and Southam's (yesterday).

Am off out now to buy the papers and if I read anything in them half as good as what our two PBers wrote, they'll be well worth the price.

Thanks lads. PB just gets better and better.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anecdote alert. Bloke up the pub last night told my dad he voted Labour for the first time in his life on Thursday. Why? He has six grandchildren and he think it's outrageous that they should be saddled with so much debt if they go to university. And the Scots get it for nothing.

I'm still of the view that free tuition would be quite regressive.,. it'd be the poorer taxpayers paying for middle class/wealthy students to go to university. The current system is basically a graduate tax, and doesn't impact things like your credit rating.
  • Options
    RobD said:

tlg86 said:

I'm still of the view that free tuition would be quite regressive.,. it'd be the poorer taxpayers paying for middle class/wealthy students to go to university. The current system is basically a graduate tax, and doesn't impact things like your credit rating.
    That's probably true, but the Tories can't make that argument. This is the culmination of 20 years of telling people that it is a right that their children can go to university.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

That's probably true, but the Tories can't make that argument. This is the culmination of 20 years of telling people that it is a right that their children can go to university.
    Hm, I don't remember anyone saying it was a "right" to go to university. Even Labour were only aiming for 50%.

Agreed that the present system is pretty toxic. Perhaps the system should instead be funded through an actual graduate tax? An extra 0.5/1p on income tax for graduates. You lose some money because people leave the country, but you can keep collecting the tax for life so you'll make more from the top taxpayers.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anecdote alert: I met a fair few people yesterday whilst out and about, and I tried bringing up the subject of the election in as open a way as possible.

One young shop assistant said: "It's terrible the way they slandered Corbyn."

She was probably born after the end of the troubles. If many people feel that way, then it'll explain why the Conservative attacks didn't work.
  • Options

There is literally no other available combination of parties that produces a government with any stability. Dealing with the DUP is Hobson's choice. But the Conservatives should be doing so with a long spoon rather than enthusiasm. Just as if they'd had to deal with UKIP.
    Here's a prediction: the deal with the DUP won't have any long-term stability. They bring enough MPs to the party to form a government, but only just that.

It'll be Major's troubles in 1992-7 all over again. The 2010 coalition survived because there were two sensible adults at the top and they had a comfortable cushion of seats. May's obviously incompetent and the combination simply don't have enough seats for the long term.

The Conservatives need to call another GE; either before or after defenestrating May (though both of those have problems, and none of the possible replacements appeal).

And if we get a Labour government, so be it. That's democracy.
  • Options

Here's a prediction: the deal with the DUP won't have any long-term stability. They bring enough MPs to the party to form a government, but only just that.

It'll be Major's troubles in 1992-7 all over again. The 2010 coalition survived because there were two sensible adults at the top and they had a comfortable cushion of seats. May's obviously incompetent and the combination simply don't have enough seats for the long term.

The Conservatives need to call another GE; either before or after defenestrating May (though both of those have problems, and none of the possible replacements appeal).

I'm not sure they should call another GE with May at the helm!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    A few thoughts, trying to be dispassionate:

1. The perception of competence is crucial for the Tories: many Labour voters are prepared to take a risk to get a better society, but most Tories see "strong and stable government" as fundamental and non-negotiable. I don't think I'm being partisan when I say that Mrs May does not exude strength, stability or competence. The "oops, wrong press release!" story is just the latest example. She appears fundamentally out of her depth.

2. The DUP don't feel as weird and alien in the Ulster context as they do to most of us. It's a tough environment which has recently emerged from a low-level civil war: lots of people have said and done things that don't bear close scrutiny. That's why the apparently bizarre Good Friday deal with Sinn Fein was possible - the fact that you're working with someone whose associates once tried to kill you is not a good start, but not the total no-no that it would be in England. And the DUP MPs are mostly pleasant at a personal level.

3. That said, it IS alien to the British environment. If people were dubious about a Labour alliance with the SNP, they will see a Government in hock to Ulster fundamentalists as fundamentally unsound. After the first unpopular decision (every government needs to take them sometimes) passed by a majority of 10 with DUP votes, the backlash will be severe, and the Lords will bounce it back with enthusiasm. (Salisbury convention? But it wasn't in the DUP manifesto...)

4. The least bad option for May would be to run a minority government, challenge the Commons to vote down some pleasant measures, wait until they do vote something down, then say "Sorry, but this can't go on" and call an election asking for a majority. It probably wouldn't work but it's better than being seen to be dependent on the DUP.

5. If Cable's comment is a prelude to a medium term warming of relations with the Tories and ultimately a Con-LibDem agreement, it will simply tie them into the horror story.

• Options
    RobD said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Hm, I don't remember anyone saying it was a "right" to go to university. Even Labour were only aiming for 50%.

Agreed that the present system is pretty toxic. Perhaps the system should instead be funded through an actual graduate tax? An extra 0.5/1p on income tax for graduates. You lose some money because people leave the country, but you can keep collecting the tax for life so you'll make more from the top taxpayers.
    No, but it's always difficult for a politician to point out that there's another group who won't be going to university and that they shouldn't have to pay for those that do.

I'd go for a graduate job tax. I know a very clever guy who did history at Southampton and he works in Morrisons (nothing wrong with that, btw). I don't think it would be fair to make those who go to university pay if they don't get a job that requires them to have been to university. Ultimately, there just aren't enough graduate jobs out there.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    GeoffM said:

Roger said:

It's incredible.

You're really rattled aren't you! I understand why.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    RobD said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

The system we have at the moment is a personalised graduate tax, effectively. You pay back a percentage of your earnings until the debt is cleared, and if you don't pay it back after a period of time it gets forgiven.

Why should I as a graduate pay for other graduates who spent years getting pointless degrees because there was never any incentive for them to do anything else?

The 9k per year fees are what is the problem, as is the fact that you cannot trust the tories not to tweak the rules about how the debt is paid back (see for instance the obsession they had with privatising student debt).

Labours policy is insane and defies economic logic, but in that regard is no different to the various bungs the tories have given to first time buyers (help to buy) and pensioners (triple lock etc)

• Options
    Barnesian said:

GeoffM said:

Roger said:

It's incredible.

You're really rattled aren't you! I understand why.
    If Geoff wasn't rattled when 96% of his compatriots voted to remain, he's not going to be rattled over this. :D
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    Roger said:

Interesting article TSE. I'm sure most will agree with your assessment of the hole Theresa is digging for herself and her party but what your entertaining header is short on is what to do next.

The problem with a leadership election is firstly that it will be divisive which isn't a good idea when you have so few votes to play with and secondly the result it'll throw up will almost certainly be catastrophic.

That is to say Boris is almost sure to win.

That is the person who is more responsible for this mess than Theresa herself. She was just incompetent. He was malevolent. He makes Iago seem like a mischievous little tinker. You'd suffer a no confidence vote within weeks.

Mps crossing the floor would make the HoC look like Timpsons.

I'm afraid you've got to make this arrangement work

I agree. In my opinion, TINA until the Brexit deal is concluded. The time for the Tories to have a leadership election is mid to late 2019, with a GE on the first Thursday of May 2020.

Having politicians from the 6 counties closely associated with the UK government during the Brexit process may assist in achieving a better arrangement with the ROI which is within the EU. May has seemed tone-deaf so far regarding the concerns of the 6 counties on both sides of the divide. Until 1973, the Tories were closely linked with the main Unionist party and it is not wrong in principle to resuscitate such links. By contrast, a link between the SNP and Labour would be dangerous and wrong, because the SNP (like SF) are dedicated to destroying the UK.

PS: Timpson junior was dispatched by the residents of Crewe & Nantwich last Thursday.
  • Options
    nielh said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

The system we have at the moment is a personalised graduate tax, effectively. You pay back a percentage of your earnings until the debt is cleared, and if you don't pay it back after a period of time it gets forgiven.

Why should I as a graduate pay for other graduates who spent years getting pointless degrees because there was never any incentive for them to do anything else?

The 9k per year fees are what is the problem, as is the fact that you cannot trust the tories not to tweak the rules about how the debt is paid back (see for instance the obsession they had with privatising student debt).

Labours policy is insane and defies economic logic, but in that regard is no different to the various bungs the tories have given to first time buyers (help to buy) and pensioners (triple lock etc)

Yeah, I agree with the principle that you should repay what you have taken out of the system, which is why I broadly support the current arrangement of fees/loans (and why I dutifully repay mine despite living abroad!). Probably we'll reach some compromise where fees are reduced, with the universities compensated from the public purse.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,965
    tlg86 said:

Did you explain that due to Barnett consequentials, the impecunious Jocks would receive even more hard earned English pounds if student debt was cancelled?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Did you explain that due to Barnett consequentials, the impecunious Jocks would receive even more hard earned English pounds if student debt was cancelled?
    How does it work at present? Does the funding come from money raised in Scotland?
  • Options
    RobD said:

She's the PM. She can have adults holding her strings and coming up with a saleable manifesto.

I want what's good for the country. If the Conservatives were to win a bigger majority, fair enough. But I see a Labour government under Corbyn - especially one with a creakingly small majority - to be better for the country than five years of chaos under this unholy coalition.
  • Options
    Stray thought: when is David Cameron's autobiography coming out?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Completely agree that the current system is less regressive - its a graduate tax, without the downsides. However, it wasn't defended at all at this election and combined with the anti - young nature of Brexit, its not surprising the young took their revenge.
  • Options
    "She's the PM. She can have adults holding her strings and coming up with a saleable manifesto." Josias Jessop

No one, not even the Tories are daft enough to let her within 100 miles of producing another manifesto!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr P,

"The least bad option for May would be to run a minority government, challenge the Commons to vote down some pleasant measures, wait until they do vote something down, then say "Sorry, but this can't go on" and call an election asking for a majority."

Sound advice. Jezza would love to have a chance at getting into Downing Street - he'd do exactly the same. Front-load all the sweeties and take the first chance available to reluctantly call an election while they're fresh in mind. He'll also have taken the opportunity to talk tough on terrorism.

The Grey Mist cannot stay because she has no good moves left. If she only passed sweetie bills, it will be clearly a blatant vote-seeking move and a total about-face. Trying to pass awkward legislation would be automatic suicide. She's now as useful as a leaky condom.

Put her out of her misery. The Grey Queen has been checkmated.

• Options

RobD said:

She's the PM. She can have adults holding her strings and coming up with a saleable manifesto.

I want what's good for the country. If the Conservatives were to win a bigger majority, fair enough. But I see a Labour government under Corbyn - especially one with a creakingly small majority - to be better for the country than five years of chaos under this unholy coalition.
    I thought it was going to be confidence and supply as opposed to an actual coalition?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Stray thought: when is David Cameron's autobiography coming out?

As soon as Cameron has added a new final chapter: Missing Me?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

I thought it was going to be confidence and supply as opposed to an actual coalition?
    That's even more unstable.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

That's even more unstable.
    Of course, but that is the nature of minority governments!
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821

I think that it is the right thing to do until Brexit is delivered from a UK and a UK government perspective.

It is not my preferred way forward for the 6 counties, because I am in favour of Irish re-unification (and Scottish independence).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone.

Agree with the threadstarter.

Then again, given I tipped Vettel for pole perhaps I should lay off criticising silly decisions. Will set about writing the pre-race nonsense now (the race start is 7pm).
  • Options
    daodao said:

I think that it is the right thing to do until Brexit is delivered from a UK and a UK government perspective.

It is not my preferred way forward for the 6 counties, because I am in favour of Irish re-unification (and Scottish independence).
    I'm unsure Brexit can be 'delivered' in a way that's even nominally best for the UK under these circumstances.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    The only thing keeping May in office is the fear amongst Tories about the damage another leadership election would do to their party (and tbf the country). Either this dam is going to break in the next few days, or they will spend the summer waiting for a chance to show her the door.

The problem for the DUP is that any agreement depends upon the personal commitment and trust between the leaders on both sides. But what trust can the DUP have that their goodies will arrive, when the person on the other end of the handshake faces looming departure? And very little political capital to deliver anything meanwhile - a handful of Tory rebels and any DUP-inspired proposals simply get voted down.
  • Options
    I think TSE is right, not so much becuase the DUP are too extreme, but simply because the Tories derided a Coalition of Chaos so much. However, I would also question the idea that a Corbyn government is an inevitability were there to be another election in the next year or so. A lot of his appeal is that he is hated not just by Tories but by New Labourites as well. If Yvette Cooper and Chuka all start saying how wonderful he is and get shadow cabinet jobs he will soon start to look like just another compromising politician. Even May, with a less flawed, more young voter-oriented manifesto, could beat him. I'd prefer an overtly probrexit leader like Gove, as I think the public are largely attracted to people who believe in stuff even if it isn't the same stuff they believe in, but yes, even May could beat a compromised Corbyn on a rerun.
    And if Corbyn doesn't compromise, which does tend to go against his nature, then his economics will get a lot more scrutiny in anoter election.
  • Options
    RobD said:

tlg86 said:

How does it work at present? Does the funding come from money raised in Scotland?
    It's funding from the UK government based proportionally on what England spends on education, i.e. if England raises more funding from student loans and therefore lowers direct funding from government, Scotland's grant decreases. And vice versa of course.
  • Options

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

It's funding from the UK government based proportionally on what England spends on education, i.e. if England raises more funding from student loans and therefore lowers direct funding from government, Scotland's grant decreases. And vice versa of course.
    Thanks. So the increase to £9k must have had a detrimental effect in Scotland?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Excellent piece by TSE.

The Conservatives need to put this awful, incompetent woman out to pasture and have a leadership election.

She the second WORST PM of the post-war period, probably on being beaten by Anthony Eden.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I think TSE is right, not so much becuase the DUP are too extreme, but simply because the Tories derided a Coalition of Chaos so much. However, I would also question the idea that a Corbyn government is an inevitability were there to be another election in the next year or so. A lot of his appeal is that he is hated not just by Tories but by New Labourites as well. If Yvette Cooper and Chuka all start saying how wonderful he is and get shadow cabinet jobs he will soon start to look like just another compromising politician. Even May, with a less flawed, more young voter-oriented manifesto, could beat him. I'd prefer an overtly probrexit leader like Gove, as I think the public are largely attracted to people who believe in stuff even if it isn't the same stuff they believe in, but yes, even May could beat a compromised Corbyn on a rerun.
    And if Corbyn doesn't compromise, which does tend to go against his nature, then his economics will get a lot more scrutiny in anoter election.

Corbyn doesn't have to compromise - he was willing to offer them jobs right from the beginning. The mods will have to eat humble pie and bring their inner lefties out of the closet. All of which enhances Corbyn's credibility and standing. And, being the naked and principle-free careerists that Labour's machine politicians are, they won't find it too difficult. The sniff of being in the next government will quickly dispel any doubts.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    The EU will be rubbing their hands we glee over this. They will use every trick in the book to keep the UK in, simply because losing our net £10-15bn a year net contribution stopping buggers up their spending plans. Sod all to do with economic benefits to the UK, it's all about funding the EU
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Thanks. So the increase to £9k must have had a detrimental effect in Scotland?
    Yup.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Does a graduate tax still apply if the graduate leaves a graduate level job. Chap I know, with a degree, was made redundant from a jounalism job and decided to start a taxi business.
    Does it very well, too.
  • Options

Excellent piece by TSE.

The Conservatives need to put this awful, incompetent woman out to pasture and have a leadership election.

She the second WORST PM of the post-war period, probably on being beaten by Anthony Eden.

Sounds as if the likely contenders will give her a good run for the silver medal.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    The Tories are royally screwed.

Labour increased its share from 30% to 40% - way ahead of Blair's achievement in 2005 when he achieved a 35% share and an overall majority of 60. This extraordinary performance has some further upside and very little downside.

The Conservative Party, on the other hand, increased its share from 37% to 42% entirely because of the collapse of the UKIP vote from 13% to 2%. Without the UKIP vote, the Tories would have actually lost share.

A hard Brexit now seems improbable. The consequence is that the Tories are going to lose UKIP support so their share is going to drop significantly, - not counting the drop caused by mainstream Tories losing confidence in their party and its leader. There is only downside for them.

A Labour overall majority at the next election is nailed on.

It is in the national interest that there is cross party cooperation on a soft brexit and no early general election. But it is in the Labour Party's interest that there is an early general election.

Will the Labour Party put the national interest first? Or will they, like the Tories, put party interest first and not cooperate. This will be a test of Corbyn's character. (I know what McDonnell would do.)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

I don't know what purpose would be served by another election.

Other than that, I think Alistair Meeks is correct.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    What are people's thoughts on next election day. I had thought by October this year but I'm now wondering if we could have a July election?
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

tlg86 said:

Anecdote alert: I met a fair few people yesterday whilst out and about, and I tried bringing up the subject of the election in as open a way as possible.

She was probably born after the end of the troubles. If many people feel that way, then it'll explain why the Conservative attacks didn't work.
    How about this one from a person I know who I assumed was sane and sensible. Corbyn must have been a seeker of peace with his IRA association as he's a pacifist against nuclear weapons so no way could he support terrorism.
  • Options
    IanB2 (sorry, my Ipad doesn't allow me to quote), but my point is that if Corbyn accepts the careerists into gis shadow cabinet, that compromises him just as much as it does them, even if it is totally on his terms.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

IanB2 (sorry, my Ipad doesn't allow me to quote), but my point is that if Corbyn accepts the careerists into gis shadow cabinet, that compromises him just as much as it does them, even if it is totally on his terms.

I don't see that. When he got leader he offered them jobs; some of them took them, then resigned later. Others stayed away. He looks good whatever they decide. Edit/ I am using an iPad now
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Alistair said:

What are people's thoughts on next election day. I had thought by October this year but I'm now wondering if we could have a July election?

I made this point yesterday with ftpa we had six weeks from the 2/3 majority vote as there is a delay built in. To hit October then they will have to recall parliament either during or before conferences. To hit July it would almost have to be the first thing they did. Not sure when they go back after summer but add six weeks on. Anyone fancy a November election?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2017
    Alistair said:

October, after The Tory leadership contest and conference. There are only a few weeks before the summer break.

We will also have some idea of how Brexit is progressing...
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    edited June 2017
    Said sooooooooo. The Indi is running a story today the there is the largest number of LGBT MP's in parliament ever, the Tories and Labour having 19 each and the SNP 7.
    Going in with the DUP pisses off their rising star in the north, the queen over the sea, Ruth Davidson and takes their public image backwards.
    Minority or nothing.
  • Options
    saddo said:

tlg86 said:

How about this one from a person I know who I assumed was sane and sensible. Corbyn must have been a seeker of peace with his IRA association as he's a pacifist against nuclear weapons so no way could he support terrorism.
    As an LD the Tory slurs on Corbyn made me more sympathetic towards him, not least because it made them look desperate, complacent and utterly negative and shameless at the same time.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Alistair said:

Aaaaagh. No, please no..
    We've elected 600+ adults; surely they can sort something out between them. Pity Nick Clegg's not still there.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The Conservative PM (whosoever that might be) will wait for a 20 point lead and engineer a bogus reason for another early election ....

I see an eensy-weensy problem though ....
  • Options

A few thoughts, trying to be dispassionate:

1. The perception of competence is crucial for the Tories: many Labour voters are prepared to take a risk to get a better society, but most Tories see "strong and stable government" as fundamental and non-negotiable. I don't think I'm being partisan when I say that Mrs May does not exude strength, stability or competence. The "oops, wrong press release!" story is just the latest example. She appears fundamentally out of her depth.

2. The DUP don't feel as weird and alien in the Ulster context as they do to most of us. It's a tough environment which has recently emerged from a low-level civil war: lots of people have said and done things that don't bear close scrutiny. That's why the apparently bizarre Good Friday deal with Sinn Fein was possible - the fact that you're working with someone whose associates once tried to kill you is not a good start, but not the total no-no that it would be in England. And the DUP MPs are mostly pleasant at a personal level.

3. That said, it IS alien to the British environment. If people were dubious about a Labour alliance with the SNP, they will see a Government in hock to Ulster fundamentalists as fundamentally unsound. After the first unpopular decision (every government needs to take them sometimes) passed by a majority of 10 with DUP votes, the backlash will be severe, and the Lords will bounce it back with enthusiasm. (Salisbury convention? But it wasn't in the DUP manifesto...)

4. The least bad option for May would be to run a minority government, challenge the Commons to vote down some pleasant measures, wait until they do vote something down, then say "Sorry, but this can't go on" and call an election asking for a majority. It probably wouldn't work but it's better than being seen to be dependent on the DUP.

5. If Cable's comment is a prelude to a medium term warming of relations with the Tories and ultimately a Con-LibDem agreement, it will simply tie them into the horror story.

On 5. Cable went off piste and is already taking flak from LibDems about it behind the scenes. The trouble with being a former big hitter and ex Minister is that self importance comes rather too easily, as with some of Labour's moderates.

There is a case for supporting governmenr proposals if they are genuinely liberal, address economic or social unfairness, or work towards minimising the damage from last year's referendum. But then the Q for Labour is why they would be on the other side of such votes?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Alistair said:

The Conservative PM (whosoever that might be) will wait for a 20 point lead and engineer a bogus reason for another early election ....

Just the one?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Actually I doubt there will be an election when you think a bit deeper. Why would the Tories take the risk, they can carry onas if nothing has happened until a number of them die or resign and they lose the subsequent by election. They will wait until things are looking better for them and may even keep May to avoide the pain of a leadership contest and claims of the new leaders lack of mandate.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JackW said:

Alistair said:

Why would they wait for Labour to be 20 points ahead?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    nichomar said:

Actually I doubt there will be an election when you think a bit deeper. Why would the Tories take the risk, they can carry onas if nothing has happened until a number of them die or resign and they lose the subsequent by election. They will wait until things are looking better for them and may even keep May to avoide the pain of a leadership contest and claims of the new leaders lack of mandate.

The Conservatives have no grounds for seeking another election.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

tlg86 said:

Mrs Fox nearly voted Labour, though went LD in the end.

She was much impressed by how, despite all the crap thrown at Corbyn by the Tories and Tabloids that he remained positive and did not respond in kind.

Jezza had a great campaign, by playing to his strengths, while May played to her own weaknesses.

• Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/10/labour-sweeps-middle-england-reading-east-something-remarkable-happening

Interesting article about Labours gain in Reading East. Dynamics of Labours appeal in the south east:

Student vote + concern about Housing + Brexit + popularity of Corbyn.

I was frequently wondering where labours gains were going to happen, I guess this is the answer.

• Options
    I'm getting the impression here in Northern Ireland that Jeremy Corbyn was a recruiting sergeant for both Sinn Fein and the DUP. With that in mind, it's unsurprising that the Westminster map of Norn Iron is now basically two tone.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Aaaaagh. No, please no..
    We've elected 600+ adults; surely they can sort something out between them. Pity Nick Clegg's not still there.
    I get the overwhelming sense there is no scope for agreement or alliances.
    The lib dems were ruined politically for the 2010 coalition. Any kind of co-operation between labour and the conservatives would be politically suicidal for Labour. It is in their interest for the tories to simply own Brexit and the calamity that will inevitably follow.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr Fox,

I remember the emergence of Ken Livingstone. The Tory press went mental over this red-fanged communist, but in interviews he came over aS reasonably charming but determined.

Keeping your temper is the number one requisite for a successful politician. Appearances are all.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Also, I'm not sure I believe that Labour Uncut article about it simply being a 'late surge' in Labour's vote share. YouGov had been detecting it long before GE day, and I think they are just covering themselves.

If we have to talk about any opinion polls now, I think we just focus on Survation and YouGov. It's clear, despite my own instincts at the time that they were well on the money.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

nichomar said:

There is likely to be no choice, the government will collapse fairly quickly, and the electorate are unlikely to thank the Tories.

It is 1974 revisited.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

nichomar said:

There is likely to be no choice, the government will collapse fairly quickly, and the electorate are unlikely to thank the Tories.

It is 1974 revisited.
    Why would the government collapse fairly quickly? This looks more like October 1974 than February 1974 to me.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

Alistair said:

Why would they wait for Labour to be 20 points ahead?
    They may not have a realistic choice. Today's Survation (new gold standard pollster) is already Lab +6. The Tories also have BREXIT to start and the continuing NHS, education, and social care crisis to deal with. It's going to be clusterf*ck central. And there's the deep joy of CCCC.

You might think that would be mean they'd cut and run. However Micawberism syndrome will set in - something will turn up. I expect the CCCC will limp along shedding support just as Sunny Jim did in 1977-79 and as John Major did 1994-97.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251

I heard Vince Cable on the radio last night and it is clear that he thinks a DUP deal could work and I just cannot see the Lib Dems voting in a Corbyn Government.

The dynamic has changed with the DUP seeking a soft Brexit and more importantly so is Ruth Davidson. Hard Brexit will not happen now and if the conservative party can find cross party consensus on Brexit they should survive, though May will have to be replaced at some time before the next GE
This discussion has been closed.