Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling that should worry Mrs May and all Tories

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

On topic: If indeed it is the case that Theresa May has only a small or even no advantage over Jeremy Corbyn, then it's not Tories who need to be worried, it's the United Kingdom. Never before, in the 50 years or so that I've been following politics, has either main party put forward a more fantastical, incompetent, unprepared, economically illiterate, disunited, and dangerous - not to mention vile - front bench as Labour are proposing this time round. Perhaps voters have gone bonkers, but it seems unlikely. At least one hopes so.

The Conservatives' main plank is hard right Brexit. You can understand why a lot of the public might choose a different backward-looking fantasy instead, in the absence of anyone putting forward a forward-looking prospectus rooted in reality.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Jonathan said:

Curious thought. If Tories win, all they done is won two extra years. That's it. Barely makes a difference really. Not even half another term.

you wish....
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    glw said:

Chris said:

glw said:

The concert has been brilliant. Sent out a message of unity, strength and love. That we won't be divided and we certainly won't go demonising anyone who is different or looking for a scapegoat.

I don't agree with that. If terrorists carry out a Beslan like attack in London or Paris I suspect all the happy-clappy stuff would be straight in the bin.
    It rather depends how many people are too stupid to see that's the whole idea!
    You may not have noticed but over the last few years there has been repeated evidence of large populations acting in what might be described as an emotional rather than intellectual manner, with some fairly dramatic results.
    As I said, it depends how many people are stupid ...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

On topic: If indeed it is the case that Theresa May has only a small or even no advantage over Jeremy Corbyn, then it's not Tories who need to be worried, it's the United Kingdom. Never before, in the 50 years or so that I've been following politics, has either main party put forward a more fantastical, incompetent, unprepared, economically illiterate, disunited, and dangerous - not to mention vile - front bench as Labour are proposing this time round. Perhaps voters have gone bonkers, but it seems unlikely. At least one hopes so.

After Brexit anything is possible. Corbyn and May are very lucky to be facing each other. Both would have been crushed by better opponents.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Mortimer said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

Only four days to go until the exit poll is announced! I can just hear the bongs at ten now....

I think the exit poll is probably the best part of the whole night for me...
    I'm in a bit of a pickle. The time lag on iPlayer is ~1 minute. Do I just not look at PB for a whole minute? Not sure I can manage that.... :p
    You have to... You can't ruin the drama of the Big Ben Bongs by logging on to PB...
    I (somehow) managed in 2015....
    I remember my jaw dropping when I saw what the exit poll was projecting in 2015! ;|)
    My shouted air punch was audible 3 streets away, I reckon....
    Yes same here lol.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Chameleon said:

May's nowhere near squeaky clean either.
    How so? Genuine question.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Apparently the bystander shot in the crossfire, was shot in the head !!!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Did they die? I saw reports saying they were only injured. :(
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

Curious thought. If Tories win, all they done is won two extra years. That's it. Barely makes a difference really. Not even half another term.

you wish....
    They have plans to extend the maximum term beyond five years? Gosh.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

and the positive reasons for voting Conservatives are ................... none
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,525

Mail know who one of the terrorist was....

One of the jihadis who terrorised London with two assailants before being shot dead by police tricked his neighbours into believing he was a nice guy by playing football with their children on the nearby green.

Secretly, he was harbouring a destructive hatred and frequently changing his appearance in preparation of unleashing a deadly attack on the capital city during which seven people died and up to 50 were injured last night.

The killer, who MailOnline is not naming because of operational reasons on the request of the police, lived in a block of flats in Barking and also played table tennis with youngsters.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4570950/Footage-shows-London-Bridge-terrorists-Borough-Market.html

So he's an Arsenal fan.

First Osama bin Laden, now this chap, why do Arsenal attract all the lunatic terrorists?
  • Options
    sealo0sealo0 Posts: 48

"In the hand" as pre reporter outside King Hospital
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Chris said:

glw said:

You may not have noticed but over the last few years there has been repeated evidence of large populations acting in what might be described as an emotional rather than intellectual manner, with some fairly dramatic results.

As I said, it depends how many people are stupid ...
    You can call it stupid, or you can call it human nature. But I've no doubt that our tolerance has a threshold and that Islamic State wants to both find and pass that threshold.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

So, after much tinkering, I've just finalised my model's prediction for the GE:

CON: 377
    LAB: 198
    SNP: 45
    LD: 6
    Others: 24

Of the 47 expected Tory gains I'm happy to report, without too much tinkering, that TP's Don Valley is listed.... Good luck Aaron!!

I don't think that's an unreasonable estimate. Could I ask how your LD seats come out?

I think they'll get 3/4 in Scotland.
    Plus Ceredgion.

And then I'd reckon another 2-6 in England. To give me a range of 6 (at the low end), to 11 at the high.
    Course. I have those 6 as:

Westmorland & Lonsdale
    Dunbartonshire East
    Orkney & Shetland
    Ceredigion
    Leeds North West
    Sheffield Hallam

BUT:

Edinburgh West
    Caithness, Sutherland & Easter Ross
    Fife North East

Are all projected LD second and without MOE....
    I think Edinburgh West is by far the most likely LibDem gain in the country. Look at the results in the locals last month: they topped the poll in all three wards in constituency, and managed over 50% in the biggest (Almond). Sure, turnout will be down, but tactical voting will be up.

I know I've mentioned it a lot but the Almond result is astonishing in its proportions. In a 4 member STV ward with 10 candidates to bust 50% of the vote, 40% for a single candidate is nuts.
    And the number of votes in the ward was something like 15K IIRC so it was a sizeable chunk of the whole constituency.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    sealo0 said:

"In the hand" as pre reporter outside King Hospital
    A bystander was shot in the head after they were caught in the police crossfire and the incident is being investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission, the Metropolitan Police revealed today

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4570950/Footage-shows-London-Bridge-terrorists-Borough-Market.html

That will be a bloody awful typo from the Mail if true.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    glw said:

The concert has been brilliant. Sent out a message of unity, strength and love. That we won't be divided and we certainly won't go demonising anyone who is different or looking for a scapegoat.

I don't agree with that. If terrorists carry out a Beslan like attack in London or Paris I suspect all the happy-clappy stuff would be straight in the bin.
    Proof of division :lol:
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,757
    edited June 2017
    rcs1000 said:

glw said:

Farron's performance against Neil won't have helped. He has had a dreadful campaign.

He was a poor choice from a very limited pool. Lamb would have been a least a little better.
    A little - but unlikely now to hold his Norfolk seat.

It is very hard to see who will replace Farron - the pool will be very small.
    Jo Swinson, if she wins East Dunbartonshire (which I think is the least likely of the potential Scottish gains for the LDs).

Nick Clegg, if he holds Sheffield Hallam (which I suspect he will).
    Nick Clegg if he's available and willing. He has ideas that he can articulate, which is what the Lib Dems need right now. There's a space for an internationalist, business friendly, liberal, social market party, as both Labour and the Conservatives have abandoned that space. This would be the Liberals going back to their 19C roots
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

After Brexit anything is possible. Corbyn and May are very lucky to be facing each other. Both would have been crushed by better opponents.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

The Conservatives' main plank is hard right Brexit. You can understand why a lot of the public might choose a different backward-looking fantasy instead, in the absence of anyone putting forward a forward-looking prospectus rooted in reality.

Not really. 52% of voters chose Brexit. That might have been a mistake, and it was certainly a high-risk decision, but it wasn't the Conservatives who made this choice. Theresa May has, very reasonably, gone for a policy of making the best of this democratic decision. Labour under Jeremy Corbyn seems to half-agree, so that isn't the dividing line
  • Options

Oh dear, I hope the person will or has already recovered.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

One of the jihadis who terrorised London with two assailants before being shot dead by police tricked his neighbours into believing he was a nice guy by playing football with their children on the nearby green.

Secretly, he was harbouring a destructive hatred and frequently changing his appearance in preparation of unleashing a deadly attack on the capital city during which seven people died and up to 50 were injured last night.

The killer, who MailOnline is not naming because of operational reasons on the request of the police, lived in a block of flats in Barking and also played table tennis with youngsters.

So he's an Arsenal fan.

First Osama bin Laden, now this chap, why do Arsenal attract all the lunatic terrorists?

So he's an Arsenal fan.

...like Corbyn?
  • Options

So he's an Arsenal fan.

So he's an Arsenal fan.

...like Corbyn?
    I was thinking Piers Morgan...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

There is a real opportunity at this election to go in a different direction.

I for one welcome the opportunity.

I think TM will win but it is good not to hear they're all the same on the doorstep.

At the end of the day we live in a democracy and people do have a real choice between more me me me or something entirely different.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

So he's an Arsenal fan.

So he's an Arsenal fan.

...like Corbyn?
    A pattern is emerging.
  • Options

I think TM will win but it is good not to hear they're all the same on the doorstep.

At the end of the day we live in a democracy and people do have a real choice between more me me me or something entirely different.
    Isn't Labour's platform all about "me me me"? A bung for middle class student. Keeping WFA for rich pensioners etc. etc.
  • Options

Plenty. Good governance, sound finances, a sensible approach to funding adult social care, getting immigration back down to sensible levels, improving education, keeping the economy on track - what could conceivably be more positive than that?
  • Options

Not really. 52% of voters chose Brexit. That might have been a mistake, and it was certainly a high-risk decision, but it wasn't the Conservatives who made this choice. Theresa May has, very reasonably, gone for a policy of making the best of this democratic decision. Labour under Jeremy Corbyn seems to half-agree, so that isn't the dividing line
    What's clear is that the Tories now own Brexit, for good or ill.
  • Options
    sealo0sealo0 Posts: 48
    BBC just had Hugh Pym outside King's hospital and did not report anything.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,991
    edited June 2017

glw said:

Why?

The French did not go all fascist, why would we if the same happened?

The concert was not my cup of tea for a variety of reasons, but clearly a healing moment for many in Manchester

Highly recommended to ward off PTSD. Get back on the horse is the modern advice. So good for the young people, and good for Ms.Grande. (in both senses).
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    RobD said:

Isn't Labour's platform all about "me me me"? A bung for middle class student. Keeping WFA for rich pensioners etc. etc.
    You missed out jobs for all the union boys...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

How wasn't it clear before? They are the party that is going to implement it.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Jonathan said:

The Tories own everything. They are the only one of the two main parties even pretending to offer a programme for government (and the smaller parties have largely disappeared). So, yes, you are right.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Plenty. Good governance, sound finances, a sensible approach to funding adult social care, getting immigration back down to sensible levels, improving education, keeping the economy on track - what could conceivably be more positive than that?
    Hmm. policy changes by the week and bad headline. Debt up. AAA lost. Immigration up. That's the Tory record.

• Options

Although I always knew East London was v ISIS friendly, and always had slight anxiety on the train n the way to the city (via Barking, West Ham, Limehouse), actually knowing jihadis live 8 mins away is v scary

A weird weekend. One of our schoolmates commited suicide Friday, now I live next door to terrorists
  • Options

So he's an Arsenal fan.

So he's an Arsenal fan.

...like Corbyn?
    Time to proscribe Arsenal Football Club.
  • Options

All fine and dandy. Very few specifics of how we get from here to there, though.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Well said.. If Labour win.. there is no hope for the UK. I will be the one turning out the light as the last person. to leave the Uk. Anyone else who doesn't is a fool... and YES I will leave the UK and I know where I will go to.
    Corbyn in the Sun's lightbulb on Thursday?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Hmm. policy changes by the week and bad headline. Debt up. AAA lost. Immigration up. That's the Tory record.

Of course debt is up, or are you proposing that the deficit should have been cut to zero in the first year?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

You think your going to win back Colchester Mark?

Libs have most boards but I just can't see it.

Not sure they are even trying that hard but I think the "busiest" councillor may have lost his seat at last elections if I understood his facebook post correctly.

Amusingly he was so involved in our locale I thought he was my councillor, when I went to vote it was a woman who I had never personally seen or heard do anything - but I had seen a pic of her pointing at a pothole!

The guy though is an absolute legend and a credit to your party.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

glw said:

Farron's performance against Neil won't have helped. He has had a dreadful campaign.

He was a poor choice from a very limited pool. Lamb would have been a least a little better.

Britain elects makes him a near cert as hold.

http://britainelects.com/nowcast/

I think their 354 number is not far off, but I would give them a handful more.
    They are predicting 29% of the tory gains to come from Scotland. Dissappointing for them.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The Tories own everything. They are the only one of the two main parties even pretending to offer a programme for government (and the smaller parties have largely disappeared). So, yes, you are right.
    Whoever wins this election is in for trouble. It's 92 or 05 times one thousand.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    rcs1000 said:

glw said:

Jo Swinson, if she wins East Dunbartonshire (which I think is the least likely of the potential Scottish gains for the LDs).

Nick Clegg, if he holds Sheffield Hallam (which I suspect he will).
    I think that Jo would be pressured to stand if she was elected next week and Farron decided to stand down. She is likely to be the only female who could credibly be the leader (The ladies who are standing in NE Fife and Edin West would both be 1st time MPs and none of plausible gains in England are likely to lead to women being elected) and since the party has never had a female leader before I'm sure the members would like the opportunity to elect one.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Jonathan said:

If they get a decent majority they pretty well guarantee the boundary changes.

Whereas previously they were maybe 50/50.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

All fine and dandy. Very few specifics of how we get from here to there, though.
    Actually, the problem was the opposite. Mrs May's mistake was to be to specific in the manifesto.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

Are you characterising Muslims as "different"? In what way "different"? Different from you? Different from what they should be? Different from Christians? It's unusual to see the inherent racism of the UK left so explicitly stated (except of course where Jews are involved).
    I have to say I think this comment from you takes the biscuit for twisting both the words and the sentiment of what Apocalypse has said. Kind of unnecessary and reflects poorly on you.
    Yeah sorry, but the implication that there is a move afoot to demonise and scapegoat in her post is sanctimonious point scoring. No one is proposing such a thing, it's not what we as a country do, and it doesn't need a concert in Manchester to establish the fact.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

Being able to walk around town, go to a concert/pub/restaurant without being mown down or stabbed.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    RobD said:

RobD said:

I agree with one Tory policy TBF getting rid of the triple lock.

It's about time pensioners did their bit to fund tax cuts for the wealthiest.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Remind me what was said in 2010....
  • Options

So he's an Arsenal fan.

So he's an Arsenal fan.

...like Corbyn?
    Time to proscribe Arsenal Football Club.
    I could go for that :-)
  • Options
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

But you support giving millionaire pensioners WFA?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,757
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

How wasn't it clear before? They are the party that is going to implement it.
    Brexit looks like it's going to be a quagmire. At least, Theresa May is not doing anything to prevent us getting stuck..
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    isam said:

Although I always knew East London was v ISIS friendly, and always had slight anxiety on the train n the way to the city (via Barking, West Ham, Limehouse), actually knowing jihadis live 8 mins away is v scary

A weird weekend. One of our schoolmates commited suicide Friday, now I live next door to terrorists
    Sounds like a rough weekend, sorry about that. Time to go to the Winchester for a metaphorical pint, and wait for it all blow over?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Yet at the same time you scream about austerity - hypocrite much?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I posted numbers perviously showing that the vast majority of that was due to Corbyn's rise, rather than May's fall.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Being able to walk around town, go to a concert/pub/restaurant without being mown down or stabbed.
    Happen to you often?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Remind me what was said in 2010....
    Shows how great our PM was!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Yet at the same time you scream about austerity - hypocrite much?
    And he supports Labour who plan on essentially unprecedented borrowing outside of a war or a depression.
  • Options
    That's actually a good headline for Theresa in the Guardian. The "enough is enough" phrase has definitely resonated today, again using my WhatsApp groups as vox pops loads of people agree with that sentiment, we've had enough of these attacks and it's time something was done to stop them.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

But you support giving millionaire pensioners WFA?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Tories have made clear at all that the Winter Fuel Allowance will *only* be taken from millionaires.

I thought they had refused to give any indication of what level the WFA will be kept for.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

dixiedean said:

Actually, the problem was the opposite. Mrs May's mistake was to be to specific in the manifesto.
    Well didn't it really manage to be way too specific about one particular thing while being incredibly vague about everything else? If we've learned anything from this election, never underestimate May's ability to find the worst of both worlds
  • Options

dixiedean said:

So all your positive reasons to vote Conservative are to be taken on trust, then?
  • Options
    RobD said:

I posted numbers perviously showing that the vast majority of that was due to Corbyn's rise, rather than May's fall.
    We have to acknowledge her crapness.

A good PM would not have let this happen.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    May has a large number of deficiencies and I have little doubt that over the next few years we will discover even more but anyone who suggests that she is no better than Corbyn is deeply deluded. We will end this election campaign where we started it: the British people have not been given a credible choice. Only one candidate is even close to being capable of being PM. And it's not Corbyn.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    midwinter said:

OUT said:

Happen to you often?
    Who knows who's next.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Tories have made clear at all that the Winter Fuel Allowance will *only* be taken from millionaires.

I thought they had refused to give any indication of what level the WFA will be kept for.

No, but at least they are doing something about it. It's money wasted on those that don't need it. Resources should be focussed on those who genuinely need help.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    MaxPB said:

That's actually a good headline for Theresa in the Guardian. The "enough is enough" phrase has definitely resonated today, again using my WhatsApp groups as vox pops loads of people agree with that sentiment, we've had enough of these attacks and it's time something was done to stop them.

Actually the ideal time might have been before now
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Sir Lynton would not have wanted that manifesto to be released with those shit policies in them.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Instead of reading PB this evening, I watched the Manchester gig, and despite not knowing some of the acts and many of the songs, it was fucking brilliant!

As for Jezzbollah, and his sudden conversion, this is awkward

https://twitter.com/mrharrycole/status/871457856415043584

And on police funding, is anyone seriously claiming that last night they needed more personnel or equipment to take down 3 attackers in 8 minutes
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

You know I am no fan of Labour but this is just words Max.

All we get are words and platitudes.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    nunu said:

glw said:

Britain elects makes him a near cert as hold.

http://britainelects.com/nowcast/

I think their 354 number is not far off, but I would give them a handful more.
    They are predicting 29% of the tory gains to come from Scotland. Dissappointing for them.
    Their model is too optmisic on the LibDems in London (albeit I think Twickenham, for reasons of Heathrow mostly) is likely to fall.

I would also estimate that Fife NE is more likely than those forecasts, and East Dunbartonshire less.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    RobD said:

doesn't one normally avoid being seen as pervy, never mind drawing attention to it?
  • Options

RobD said:

We have to acknowledge her crapness.

A good PM would not have let this happen.
    Indeed, my worry is that we'll end up with a 120-140 majority on the back of the last few days and team Theresa will see it as a vindication of their shitty manifesto.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

May has a large number of deficiencies and I have little doubt that over the next few years we will discover even more but anyone who suggests that she is no better than Corbyn is deeply deluded. We will end this election campaign where we started it: the British people have not been given a credible choice. Only one candidate is even close to being capable of being PM. And it's not Corbyn.

Yep - even the majority of Labour mp's agree the man is not fit to lead this country and as for his views.......
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:
    The Sun have a leaked telephone conversion?
  • Options
    So, in summary, the reaction to my point that "in the 50 years or so that I've been following politics, has either main party put forward a more fantastical, incompetent, unprepared, economically illiterate, disunited, and dangerous - not to mention vile - front bench as Labour are proposing this time round" is to counter this by saying that Theresa May's not all that great.

Well, yes. QED, I think.
  • Options
    Floater said:

MaxPB said:

Not exactly convinced "Enough is enough" is a good slogan for a Party in power for 7 years.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

Instead of reading PB this evening, I watched the Manchester gig, and despite not knowing some of the acts and many of the songs, it was fucking brilliant!

And on police funding, is anyone seriously claiming that last night they needed more personnel or equipment to take down 3 attackers in 8 minutes

The sun have a tape of a private Milne/Corbyn phone conversation?

How?
  • Options

So, in summary, the reaction to my point that "in the 50 years or so that I've been following politics, has either main party put forward a more fantastical, incompetent, unprepared, economically illiterate, disunited, and dangerous - not to mention vile - front bench as Labour are proposing this time round" is to counter this by saying that Theresa May's not all that great.

Well, yes. QED, I think.

She isn't great - but she is the only game in town.

Plus the tories do dump shite - unlike Labour
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    dixiedean said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

Not exactly convinced "Enough is enough" is a good slogan for a Party in power for 7 years.
    Especially when this is the 3rd terrorist attack on her watch within a few months, following 10 years where the UK didn't have any....
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Floater said:

MaxPB said:

That's not true, she also has a specific, concrete and ridiculous plan to break internet security.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

Did you se the stats on number of attacks they have thwarted? I think there was as many in the last 70 days as there were in the last five years, or something like that.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    RobD said:

And - let's face it - it's YouGov.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    DavidL said:

Mediocre and lighweight beats catastrophic and toxic every time. But, as you say in so many words, that is not cause for celebration. Voters have never been presented with a worse choice.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

Ishmael_Z said:

Are you characterising Muslims as "different"? In what way "different"? Different from you? Different from what they should be? Different from Christians? It's unusual to see the inherent racism of the UK left so explicitly stated (except of course where Jews are involved).
    I have to say I think this comment from you takes the biscuit for twisting both the words and the sentiment of what Apocalypse has said. Kind of unnecessary and reflects poorly on you.
    +1
  • Options
    Floater said:

MaxPB said:

Of course it's just words, but the words are different to what we normally get - "religion of peace", "not real Muslims" etc...

This is at least something else, something that sounds credible to ordinary people tired of hearing how Ahmed from Bradford wasn't a real Muslim because he was actually Dave from Norwich.

Boris' words have also not gon unnoticed, his theme is stronger as well, and I was asked as the resident Tory of our group of friends whether I think he'll run against May sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

isam said:

Sounds like a rough weekend, sorry about that. Time to go to the Winchester for a metaphorical pint, and wait for it all blow over?
    It wasn't a close mate, more one of the crowd. We actually fell out as he tried to diddle me out of some money, so I'd feel a bit of a fraud going to the funeral as we hadn't spoke for years. But all the same, someone I'd gone on holiday with a few times etc. Weird that he's dead. In fact the first time I got on a plane (Feb 91 a school ski trip) we had our bags checked and he said 'mind the bombs'... didn't go down well in the middle of gulf war!
  • Options

DavidL said:

Mediocre and lighweight beats catastrophic and toxic every time. But, as you say in so many words, that is not cause for celebration. Voters have never been presented with a worse choice.

I don't know Sarah Heather vs Dawn Butler was probably worse ;-)
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Danny565 said:

The Tories are scientifically stupid on this matter. They rule that no Scottish pensioners will lose WFA because of the climate. Yet Edinburgh has an average temperature higher than Durham, the Western Isles are some of the warmest parts of the country.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Scott_P said:

How?
    Maybe there is a patriot in Labour HQ?
  • Options
    glw said:

Pong said:

Scott_P said:

How?
    Maybe there is a patriot in Labour HQ?
    Unlikely
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Floater said:

MaxPB said:

She couldn't exactly announce a new measure in her speech today could she? It would have been seen as electioneering. Let's see what happens after Friday - if, god willing, sanity wins through and its not PM Corbyn.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Pong said:

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/mrharrycole/status/871457856415043584

How?
    Here's the story -- https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3722457/jeremy-corbyns-spin-doctor-brands-idea-labour-leader-would-defend-uk-with-nukes-bonkers/

edit: the previous version I saw actually had the transcript.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

Of course it's just words, but the words are different to what we normally get - "religion of peace", "not real Muslims" etc...

This is at least something else, something that sounds credible to ordinary people tired of hearing how Ahmed from Bradford wasn't a real Muslim because he was actually Dave from Norwich.

Boris' words have also not gon unnoticed, his theme is stronger as well, and I was asked as the resident Tory of our group of friends whether I think he'll run against May sooner rather than later.
    It's not enough but it is 100 times stronger than the normal vomit inducing vagueness
  • Options
    RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

Did you se the stats on number of attacks they have thwarted? I think there was as many in the last 70 days as there were in the last five years, or something like that.
    That was not my point at all. Just the subliminal message it sends out.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    What's this 39-35 Norstat poll that's been sneaked onto the list? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_general_election,_2017
  • Options
  • Options
    Dadge said:

What's this 39-35 Norstat poll that's been sneaked onto the list? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_general_election,_2017

Came out last night, for the Express I think.
This discussion has been closed.