Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling that should worry Mrs May and all Tories

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Looks like the US Chargé d'affaires-ai in London has gone a bit rogue.

How long until Trump fires him?

https://twitter.com/USAinUK/status/871435629569212416

he probably still thinks its boris
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited June 2017
    RobD said:

Chameleon said:

spire2 said:

Surely everybody on this website woukd rather see a prediction of conservatives short of a majority by 10 seats? Imagine the fun of waiting for hours for the result from a south west marginal

RobD said:

JackW said:

chloe said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

Will this all come down to how the DKs break?

No.

Con Landslide.
    Not with these leadership ratings. At this rate Corbyn will be ahead before Thursday.
    My dear lady it's the hope that kills you.

Stone dead as the chimes of Big Ben finish at 10:00pm on Thursday and David Dimbledore crushes your hopes in these words :

"Our exit polls shows a Conservatives landslide ..."
    I'm just hoping he says "four" as the first word when describing the number of seats for the Tories their exit poll suggests. :p
    Definitely, and further betting opportunities on Tory leadership and Autumn GE...
    And Osborne to stand as a Tory candidate in the Autumn GE.

Ooooh
    lol

you can smell your desperation

GOWNBPM
    I would be so happy if Clegg or Osbourne made a serious challenge to become PM. Clegg especially, he could get me off my arse and campaigning.
    I fear Clegg is in the wrong party!
    Clegg wouldn't have gotten completely bulldozed like Tiny Tim has. If he became their leader in 2015, and was leading them now, I'm in no doubt that the Lib Dems would be one of the major parties.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

Friday.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    On topic should we take the bank holiday and half term ratings with a pinch of salt for the Tories?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

Even if the Tories win on Thursday and I think it will still be a comfortable win, Theresa May will not be seen anymore like she was 6 weeks back, Even amongst Tories.

She is actually very poor. No wonder her failures at the Home Office.

Yet she was the best Tory to be PM ?

Entirely depends on how big the win is.
    No it doesn't. A lot of things will contribute to the size of any win (I hope it is a win). But whatever happens, excepting any revelations after the event such as illness, May has shown herself to be a very poor performer allowing a poorly constructed manifesto to be published, failing to score through large numbers of open goals and generally projecting an aura of vulnerability and incompetence.

Whatever the result on Thursday many of us who want a Tory win will not forget how much uncertainty and concern she has caused us and this makes us seriously doubt her abilities going forward.
    To be fair to May, I think she is a better administrator than she is a campaigner. Given the pitfalls of the Home Office, she survived longer than any other modern politician in that role - you only have to look at the many people who held that office under Blair and Brown and how frequently they left it under a cloud.

She is not a campaigner - but she is the only viable PM candidate we have on offer in 4 days time.
    Theresa May lasted six years at the Home Office because Cameron hated reshuffles. It does not mean she was any good. Iain Duncan Smith lasted six years at DWP and no-one's calling for him to be Prime Minister.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,405

No, he's actually tweeting one of Sadiq Khan's tweets in that tweet.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Floater said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Chameleon said:

SeanT said:

This is good on the latest jihadism.

Horribly believable; chilling in its details. This isn't the IRA 2.0 - we are facing ongoing civil emergency. Maybe civil war.

http://observer.com/2017/06/london-bridge-isis-attack-british-m15/

Well a good first step would be electing someone who doesn't support Saudi Arabia and isn't a historical supporter of terrorism in the UK. Sadly that seems to be too much to ask for these days.
    A good first step would be Don't have a massive Muslim minority in your country. Too late for us, but well done all those nations that avoided this fucking disaster.
    Is there anyone who could say that, on balance, the Islamic immigration of the last 50 years has been a net positive for the UK?
    Only a mad, blinkered idiot. So about 40% of the country.
    TBF if you said it wasn't positive you would be called a racist.

I have actually seen people looking over their shoulders before voicing negative opinions on these matters as they were worried about repercussions.
    Yep. Maybe 10 percent of people outside big cities would consider Islamic multiculturalism a positive. And that's probably being generous.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    SeanT said:

RobD said:
    May weak on terror Wobbly on the causes of terror.
    Ugh. The cockroaches of the left. Hugging Hamas and Hezbollah, fellating the IRA, arse-licking fucking ISIS.

Your leader proudly "voted down every single piece of counter-terror legislation since 1983".

And you have the gall, you loathsome piece of intellectual dung, to ask us to vote for him?
    I'm stealing this to hurl abuse at a lefty on twitter.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Prodicus said:

I have my eyes firmly fixed on Jack's ARSE.

I would be exceptionally grateful if you would kindly refrain from Prodicus(ing) my ARSE.

Thank you
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Chameleon said:

RobD said:

Chameleon said:

spire2 said:

Surely everybody on this website woukd rather see a prediction of conservatives short of a majority by 10 seats? Imagine the fun of waiting for hours for the result from a south west marginal

RobD said:

JackW said:

chloe said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

No.

Con Landslide.
    Not with these leadership ratings. At this rate Corbyn will be ahead before Thursday.

Stone dead as the chimes of Big Ben finish at 10:00pm on Thursday and David Dimbledore crushes your hopes in these words :

I'm just hoping he says "four" as the first word when describing the number of seats for the Tories their exit poll suggests. :p
    Definitely, and further betting opportunities on Tory leadership and Autumn GE...

Ooooh
    lol

GOWNBPM
    I would be so happy if Clegg or Osbourne made a serious challenge to become PM. Clegg especially, he could get me off my arse and campaigning.
    Clegg wouldn't have gotten completely bulldozed like Tiny Tim has. If he became their leader in 2015, and was leading them now, I'm in no doubt that the Lib Dems would that one of the major parties.
    Yep.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    OUT said:

Friday.
    He's only a caretaker awaiting Trump getting around to finding someone to replace him.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Ah TSE remember when humour was your strong point ?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Pulpstar said:

My big worry, politically speaking is that Corbyn's defeat won't be nearly big enough. It'd be a disaster for the centre and centre-left if he was to retain over 200 seats.

The disaster will be certain if the Labour moderates don't have the guts to strike out on their own. If they can muster 120 (which is ambitious but not impossible) they can become the official opposition, get the soft money and watch as the moderate unions quit Corbyn for a new 'progressive' home

(I hate the word progressive - but it seems a likely name for a new movement)

If Macron can strike out on his own, surely Labour moderates can think of doing the same.
  • Options

It still is.

I have two threads that should have gone up today that might go up before election day.

You'll love it.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

RobD said:
    Corbyn on the side of terror (providing it's Irish Republicans or Palestinians).
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    glw said:

RobD said:
    Corbyn on the side of terror (providing it's Irish Republicans or Palestinians).
    provided its anti west you mean
  • Options

It still is.

I have two threads that should have gone up today that might go up before election day.

You'll love it.
    Lord preserve us .... :cry:
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    isam said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:
    Like I just said, we are facing a civil emergency, potentially a low-level but chronic civil war (when the native population finally fights back - which it will)

23,000 jihadis in the UK. 23,000.

Maybe 200,000 sympathisers. Mind-fucking stats

Imagine if the jihadis up their game - just a bit - and these attacks come at us once a week, with numbing success and regularity. We will be Ulster in the 70s, with extra horror and race/religious hatred. Internment will be inevitable. And worse.
    https://youtu.be/-dRuPPSKNhE
    Indeed, it looks like Enoch may have been right. But it is not their blood (Terrorists) but our blood (civilians) that is running like the "River Tiber foaming with much blood".

I suppose one good thing about Brexit will be we make our own laws and will be accountable only to ourselves. We therefore can crackdown on the elements in society who inflame tension and suppress those who indoctrinate and radicalise the enemy within.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    SeanT said:

RobD said:
    Ugh. The cockroaches of the left. Hugging Hamas and Hezbollah, fellating the IRA, arse-licking fucking ISIS.

Your leader proudly "voted down every single piece of counter-terror legislation since 1983".

And you have the gall, you loathsome piece of intellectual dung, to ask us to vote for him?
    Yes, but what do you really think?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    edited June 2017
    are we having a competition this year to see who can predict the closest to actual result?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Now mr Corbyn about your period at "Stop the War" .........

Liar , Liar as someone likes to say.
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:
    Like I just said, we are facing a civil emergency, potentially a low-level but chronic civil war (when the native population finally fights back - which it will)

Imagine if the jihadis up their game - just a bit - and these attacks come at us once a week, with numbing success and regularity. We will be Ulster in the 70s, with extra horror and race/religious hatred. Internment will be inevitable. And worse.
    Enoch Powell is a strange one. He was a kind of crazy but brilliant physician who completely misdiagnosed the problem (black immigration), but who nonetheless sensed something was very wrong, in the face of received opinion, and then gave absolutely the right prognosis.
    Question for you MrT - if I had to read one of your books, which should it be?
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    alex. said:

OUT said:

Friday.
    He's only a caretaker awaiting Trump getting around to finding someone to replace him.
    Yep it was probably planned to change when he visits later this year.
    But Donald always acts before someone does the thinking on his behalf.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Prodicus said:

matt said:

Pulpstar said:

Corbyn speech - his Foreign policy one was well received below the line in the Mail

Top comment this time 220 green arrows, 57 red arrows.

Genuine red, Oxford, United Kingdom, 13 minutes ago

So Corbynn is using people's deaths to get votes , this man didn't even want to arm our police , without arms there would have been more deaths . Only a man without honour would use this as an election statement .

With respect, people who comment on newspaper articles tend to be keen. More so in the free to access Guardian and Mail.
    Momentum has absolutely swamped the MailOnline comment section in recent weeks. It's a war game. Proportionality in the comments there now means zero in relation to actual reader opinion. Regular Mail types won't bother to struggle to log a POV against such a tide.

They will vote on Thurs though.

Still think they haven't swamped the polling panels too?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Yes, but what do you really think?
    One of the joys of a Coalition of Chaos would be SeanT's apoplexy!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

Pulpstar said:

My big worry, politically speaking is that Corbyn's defeat won't be nearly big enough. It'd be a disaster for the centre and centre-left if he was to retain over 200 seats.

The disaster will be certain if the Labour moderates don't have the guts to strike out on their own. If they can muster 120 (which is ambitious but not impossible) they can become the official opposition, get the soft money and watch as the moderate unions quit Corbyn for a new 'progressive' home

If Macron can strike out on his own, surely Labour moderates can think of doing the same.
    You don't get it. It is Corbyn who has struck out on his own and changed the political agenda.
    Labour moderates thought he was a loser but they've discovered, to their amazement, that he is a winner. Win or lose, the Labour party will support Corbyn after this election. He will be seen as a hero.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

are we having a competition this year to see who can predict the closest to actual result?

I kind of feel that that would just be recording the luckiest amongst ism no-one knows what is actually going on.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Pulpstar said:

If they wait for a 120 names it will be the end of days
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

You don't get it. It is Corbyn who has struck out on his own and changed the political agenda.
    Labour moderates thought he was a loser but they've discovered, to their amazement, that he is a winner. Win or lose, the Labour party will support Corbyn after this election. He will be seen as a hero.
    Doesn't that rather depend on the result?
  • Options
    Floater said:

glw said:

RobD said:
    provided its anti west you mean
    You are quite right, I was being too generous, in fact today might be the first time Corbyn has condemned terrorism without a wheelbarrow full of qualifications.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

If they wait for a 120 names it will be the end of days
    Get Clegg to grab 50 of them, and tell them that after the next GE they'll be the senior leadership of one of the two major parties in the UK.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Enoch Powell is a strange one. He was a kind of crazy but brilliant physician who completely misdiagnosed the problem (black immigration), but who nonetheless sensed something was very wrong, in the face of received opinion, and then gave absolutely the right prognosis.
    No. Powell's pronouncements on immigration only tended to pop up when the issue was already in the news. He was an archetypal bandwagon politician in that regard, sniffing out a mood others had engendered and seizing upon it for his own ends.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cookie said:

I've just started a Yougov poll. It started with the usual questions about voting intentions, and moved on to an energy prices question which seemed impossible to move on from - I suspect there must have been a bug in the page. I don't think I'm being uniquely stupid - but I'd expect a lot of surveyees to have given up at this point too. In which case their next survey output might be a bit lacking in sample data.

It's subliminal.

Tories are going to freeze your energy prices
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

He was a clever man ruined by a classical education.
  • Options

Prodicus said:

matt said:

Pulpstar said:

Corbyn speech - his Foreign policy one was well received below the line in the Mail

So Corbynn is using people's deaths to get votes , this man didn't even want to arm our police , without arms there would have been more deaths . Only a man without honour would use this as an election statement .

With respect, people who comment on newspaper articles tend to be keen. More so in the free to access Guardian and Mail.
    Momentum has absolutely swamped the MailOnline comment section in recent weeks. It's a war game. Proportionality in the comments there now means zero in relation to actual reader opinion. Regular Mail types won't bother to struggle to log a POV against such a tide.

All the companies? and the phone polls, and the Scotland and Wales ones?

What I hear as anecdata, and overhead conversations etc supports the polls. I also don't think that it is just the 18-24's, the 25-40's of Gen Y are in the same mood. They have been stiffed by the Tories and are out for revenge.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited June 2017

Lol. Sadiq has been useless tbh. He gave succour to the terrorists by telling Londoners it was part of living in a big city. He needs to row back on that statement.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,924
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Please read up on him! He didn't completely misdiagnose the problem. His whole philosophy was based on communalism in India. When he says 'coloured' or 'black' he is referring to Asian immigrants as well as West Indians, generally he said 'commonwealth'

Watch the ten mins from 10:00 he pinpoints the problem with lack of assimilation of Pakistanis in Birmingham in 1965

https://youtu.be/nN6sTBSAp-A
  • Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

No, unless it is a Tory landslide. If it is a slim Tory majority, say 30, then Mrs May will lose her job before Mr Corbyn loses his.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

No, unless it is a Tory landslide. If it is a slim Tory majority, say 30, then Mrs May will lose her job before Mr Corbyn loses his.
    It doesn't, unless it does. :p
  • Options
    All the talk of civil liberties just frustrates me.

It is a smokescreen to avoid taking action necessary to protect society from the threat of death and destruction at the hands of violent extremists.

The first duty of the state is to protect citizens.

And I don't believe that Corbyn is willing to do what is necessary.

He hedges, he uses weasel words, he refuses to condemn.

We saw it on Friday night, we are seeing it tonight.

Nothing that happened in Manchester or London was because of the reduction in police numbers - it is a lie to suggest otherwise.

He wants to appease those who seek to destroy.

We need to be defiant. The age of toleration has to come to an end.

• Options
    RobD said:

Chameleon said:

spire2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

chloe said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

No.

Con Landslide.

Ooooh
    lol

GOWNBPM
    Easily fixed.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

It still is.

You'll love it.
    Let me guess, one on AV and err the other on AV as a bonus?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

I think you're right about that.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Lol. Sadiq has been useless tbh. He gave succour to the terrorists by telling Londoners it was part of living in a big city. He needs to row back on that statement.
    Even Tories say that quote was taken out of context, look at the next bit he said.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yes, the only problem is Labour members, politicians and the like believe 100% in the brand. They will not consider mass exodus, the party is their whole world in many cases, the only way forward for Labour or the left is for Corbyn to suffer a 1931 style defeat. Even then it would be touch and go whether he would actually leave of his own volition. If they split then they hand more seats to the Tories.

The Tories in my opinion are going to win big on Thursday, much bigger than the received wisdom of opinion poll followers.

• Options
    In all my 70 years, I have never heard so much horlicks from lefties who live in hope they are going to win something other than a smacked arse.
  • Options

One of the joys of a Coalition of Chaos would be SeanT's apoplexy!

How the hell would we tell the difference ?!?!

• Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

It doesn't, unless it does. :p
    :p
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    SeanT said:

JonWC said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Question for you MrT - if I had to read one of your books, which should it be?
    The Ice Twins

Or my next one, When She's Alone - but not out til next year.
    Thanks. Your latest sounds like the title of a website...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121

Indeed, it looks like Enoch may have been right.

BINGO!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Even Tories say that quote was taken out of context, look at the next bit he said.
    So was Maggie, people don't care what the next sentence is, they care about the big statement. Loads of my fb are liking a comment calling him out.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

That is right. Corbyn will be an energetic LOTO, and remain a cult figure. He will be too old for 2022, so time will heal the Labour rift. His ideas will be mainstream and his successor PM.
  • Options
    Chris said:

BINGO!
    Exactly. Knew it was coming up soon.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,579
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

chloe said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

No.

Con Landslide.

I don't think even the staunchest of the Jezza twatterati are expecting Corbyn to reduce the Tories to four seats ....
    Looking at the safest seats list, those could conceivably include May and Gove...
    Would they have to split the party ?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    Charles said:

Cookie said:

I've just started a Yougov poll. It started with the usual questions about voting intentions, and moved on to an energy prices question which seemed impossible to move on from - I suspect there must have been a bug in the page. I don't think I'm being uniquely stupid - but I'd expect a lot of surveyees to have given up at this point too. In which case their next survey output might be a bit lacking in sample data.

It's subliminal.

More likely to freeze your granny.
  • Options

Charles said:

Cookie said:

It's subliminal.

More likely to freeze your granny.
    Only after we have eaten your babies. Which all good Tories do on a daily basis. I get mine delivered via Ocado. So convenient
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658

Prodicus said:

matt said:

Pulpstar said:

More than likely imo.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

I think you're right about that.
    I'm not convinced tory MP's could agree on a replacement right now, or in the immediate post-election period.

Hammond? I don't think he wants it.
    Rudd perhaps? If she keeps her seat.

But that person would still have a huge mandate problem with the rest of the country who had just voted for May's strong and stable.

I think, so long as May has a majority of some kind, she's safe in the short term.

The first major brexit argument will probably topple her though. She may want to go before she's pushed.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

That is right. Corbyn will be an energetic LOTO, and remain a cult figure. He will be too old for 2022, so time will heal the Labour rift. His ideas will be mainstream and his successor PM.

Lol. What have you been taking?

• Options

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Why on earth would he suddenly become energetic now? He has barely got beyond languid.

And I think you have confused cult for similar word with 'n' rather than 'l'
  • Options
    BigRich said:

It still is.

You'll love it.
    No,

1) Who Mrs May should appoint after the election (assuming she wins). Answer: Not Osborne, it includes threes subtle pop music references

2) A thread about what George Osborne will be doing in 2022.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Nah. He's like a crap contestant on a talent show who rides the wave of youth celebrity for a few weeks till everyone realises they're shit. See Jedward or Honey G..
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121

Chris said:

BINGO!
    It's never far below the surface.
  • Options

BigRich said:

It still is.

You'll love it.
    No,

1) Who Mrs May should appoint after the election (assuming she wins). Answer: Not Osborne, it includes threes subtle pop music references

The AV thread has been delayed again! Bloody events.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think so. Regardless of the result, it is now beyond doubt that Corbyn himself has had a brilliant campaign. It would be churlish to deny that.

Don't forget, about 30 MPs will probably owe him their seat.

Looks like SDP Mark II is now gone.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Pong said:

I think, so long as May has a majority, she's safe in the short term.

The first major brexit argument will probably topple her though.

The first major Brexit argument will come within a month of the election. She'll be safe only for a matter of days.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Floater said:

SeanT said:

Horribly believable; chilling in its details. This isn't the IRA 2.0 - we are facing ongoing civil emergency. Maybe civil war.

I have said before on here and elsewhere that France ii particular is effectively in a low intensity insurgency

Mutti Merkel hasn't helped either
    Merkel, the leader who is soaring far ahead in the German opinion polls?

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

I wish it was the SPD/Linke/Greens, but it's really not. Nor is it the AfD. Germans increasingly think she's done a great job. it's not even clear that the AfD will make it over the 5% threshold if their decline continues.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Reassuringly harsh.....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Sadiq is just... pitifully boring. He's neither good nor bad. He's an empty vessel. Mediocre. Invisible. The one thing he's done is cancel a bridge.

A grave disappointment to the Labour right.
    Let's be fair- he has also reneged on his promise to freeze TfL fares and his promise to plant millions of new trees.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think so. Regardless of the result, it is now beyond doubt that Corbyn himself has had a brilliant campaign. It would be churlish to deny that.

Won't be much comfort if they still lose 40-50 seats.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Even the most pessimistic amongst us don't believe that Labour will only be left with 30 MPs. But you may be right.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    midwinter said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Nah. He's like a crap contestant on a talent show who rides the wave of youth celebrity for a few weeks till everyone realises they're shit. See Jedward or Honey G..
    No, I think he's more like Saara Aalto. Everyone thought she was Week 1-4 cannon fodder. But somehow she kept seeing off opponents in the sing off before looking like having a serious chance of winning. But in the end she came up just short and the original favourite won.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

BINGO!
    Sadly you're right. It's one of the reasons why minorities generally continue to vote Labour/regard them as 'the only option.' And despite Corbyn's many flaws, I don't blame them for doing so.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

No. Powell's pronouncements on immigration only tended to pop up when the issue was already in the news. He was an archetypal bandwagon politician in that regard, sniffing out a mood others had engendered and seizing upon it for his own ends.
    I've just ordered two books about him. I've grown up with the received idea that he was a clever man who went very badly wrong, but some of the videos Isam links to are pretty blood-chilling in their accuracy. Like it or not, Powell predicted our present situation with absolute precision. When everyone else was whistling Kumbaya.

Did he just get lucky? I need to discover for myself.
    Let us know your findings.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Corbyn has not been energetic for the last two years, what is suddenly going to change about him. His proponents say he is a conviction politician, his detractors say he is stuck in the past and has terrorist sympathies and a complete disregard for the British state.

The nearest I can think of is Ken Livingstone being London mayor but London is a Labour city the United Kingdom is not a left-wing country. The UK is pretty Conservative, Livingstone lost London in 2008 despite it being a Labour city. Livingstone tried to moderate his views, Corbyn is to the left of Livingstone on the watered down left-wing platform he presented as his manifesto. If Corbyn or a left-wing successor took the helm of Labour for the 2022 election you would probably find Labour even further to the left. The electorate will reject Corbyn or his successor again.
  • Options
    RobD said:

BigRich said:

It still is.

You'll love it.
    No,

In a little over three weeks I shall be commencing a three week long stint as guest editor.

The magnum opus on AV will be published in those three weeks.

Probably on July 8th or 9th.

I'm at a wedding that weekend, and I'm banned from PB that weekend.
  • Options

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Sadiq is just... pitifully boring. He's neither good nor bad. He's an empty vessel. Mediocre. Invisible. The one thing he's done is cancel a bridge.

Let's be fair- he has also reneged on his promise to freeze TfL fares and his promise to plant millions of new trees.
    And to never have any Tube strikes iirc.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Pulpstar said:

After this campaign they will be lucky to muster 20.
  • Options

RobD said:

BigRich said:

It still is.

You'll love it.
    No,

In a little over three weeks I shall be commencing a three week long stint as guest editor.

:o:o AV thread confirmed!
  • Options
    When May finally gets the boot, who's there to potentially replace her? The cabinet looks very uninspiring, with the exception of Greg Clark. Currently 100/1 at Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited June 2017

We'll probably be in a Brexit induced recession by then with a high degree of uncertainty about the way forward and a population that will be fed up with politics. It will be a different landscape.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

BigRich said:

It still is.

You'll love it.
    No,

And if we have another Labour leadership contest this summer, I'll do a beginner's guide to AV.

Or if Mrs May is toppled, I'll do a thread on the quasi-AV system Tories use to elect their leaders.
  • Options

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Sounds like he might be a secret Tory.
  • Options

Prodicus said:

matt said:

Pulpstar said:

What I hear as anecdata, and overhead conversations etc supports the polls. I also don't think that it is just the 18-24's, the 25-40's of Gen Y are in the same mood. They have been stiffed by the Tories and are out for revenge.
    Depends who you talk to. I guess in a hospital you'd hear more pro Corbyn views. I run a small group of betting shops and most of the things I hear from customers (particularly from pensioners) about him aren't repeatable.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Floater said:

SeanT said:

I have said before on here and elsewhere that France ii particular is effectively in a low intensity insurgency

Mutti Merkel hasn't helped either
    Merkel, the leader who is soaring far ahead in the German opinion polls?

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

I wish it was the SPD/Linke/Greens, but it's really not. Nor is it the AfD. Germans increasingly think she's done a great job. it's not even clear that the AfD will make it over the 5% threshold if their decline continues.
    +1. She is set to win in September, Germans have not abandoned her after the Syrian refugees saga, they've embraced her. The Schulz bounce was incredibly short lived. WithTrump in the WH, she is in many ways the leader of the free world now.

I've always been a fan, because her pragmatic approach.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,924
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

I've just ordered two books about him. I've grown up with the received idea that he was a clever man who went very badly wrong, but some of the videos Isam links to are pretty blood-chilling in their accuracy. Like it or not, Powell predicted our present situation with absolute precision. When everyone else was whistling Kumbaya.

Did he just get lucky? I need to discover for myself.
    I went to Brighton Uni in 2010 to study Humanities as a 35 year old leftie who'd just voted for Gordon Brown, and got decent marks for a couple of essays on Marxism.

Then we studied Rivers of Blood... and were literally told to find the racism. I ended up arguing w the lecturer (who I was older than!) over 7/7 (as someone in the city on that day). I didn't want to say the things I was saying but they were true, Enoch was right!

Unfortunately the national Front and BNP agreed with him for different reasons and his name is tainted by association. Contemporary polls (!) re his speech were massive landslides in favour

• Options
    OldBasingOldBasing Posts: 168
    Anecdotal:

North East Hampshire: never before seen Labour posters in well-to-do rural villages.

Sunday lunch pub conversation ( same constituency): four oldies, who I would have automatically put in the blue column, livid about winter fuel allowance. Talk of not voting Tory. Where there vote goes instead remains a mystery. Abstention? Damaged Tory core vote?

Make of that what you will.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

BigRich said:

It still is.

You'll love it.
    No,

And if we have another Labour leadership contest this summer, I'll do a beginner's guide to AV.

Or if Mrs May is toppled, I'll do a thread on the quasi-AV system Tories use to elect their leaders.
    Or, as I like to call it, multi-round FPTP. :p
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    Chameleon said:

When May finally gets the boot, who's there to potentially replace her? The cabinet looks very uninspiring, with the exception of Greg Clark. Currently 100/1 at Ladbrokes.

If it happens in the next year, I'd say Gove or Hammond. Boris has absolutely no chance, and Rudd only the most slender.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Chameleon said:

There's likely to be a challenge when the Brexit talks get stuck so it will probably be a battle between the true believer Brexiteers and and an emboldened Remainer. IDS vs Ken Clarke all over again but this time with the whole country on the line.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Chris said:

Chris said:

BINGO!
    If one of you could find the time to take a copy of That Horrible Speech and, ignoring the horribleness, mark with one of those fluorescent markers the passages in it which are actually, you know, wrong, that would be immensely helpful.

When you've done that, you can explain whether you think George Washington's view differs from Powell's, and whether he was right? He said

"The policy or advantage of [immigration] taking place in a body (I mean the settling of them in a body) may be much questioned; for, by so doing, they retain the language, habits, and principles (good or bad) which they bring with them. Whereas by an intermixture with our people, they, or their descendants, get assimilated to our customs, measures, and laws: in a word, soon become one people."

As you are thick lefties I have to point out that "Because Enoch Powell" is not an argument which refutes Enoch Powell. And it sure as shit doesn't refute George Washington.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    All Corbyn has done has divided the country horribly. A New Labour unity figure would have mopped up against Theresa May. So disappointing.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

There's likely to be a challenge when the Brexit talks get stuck so it will probably be a battle between the true believer Brexiteers and and an emboldened Remainer. IDS vs Ken Clarke all over again but this time with the whole country on the line.
    What if she doesn't get a majority though?
  • Options

Chameleon said:

If it happens in the next year, I'd say Gove or Hammond. Boris has absolutely no chance, and Rudd only the most slender.

Gove or Hammond... Jesus christ, someone put me out of my misery.
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

5 years of Fred Karno opposition and the Corbyn project will be sunk.
  • Options

Oh deep joy .... :cry::cry:
  • Options
    OldBasing said:

Anecdotal:

North East Hampshire: never before seen Labour posters in well-to-do rural villages.

Sunday lunch pub conversation ( same constituency): four oldies, who I would have automatically put in the blue column, livid about winter fuel allowance. Talk of not voting Tory. Where there vote goes instead remains a mystery. Abstention? Damaged Tory core vote?

Make of that what you will.

I reckon that the Tory vote in the safe seats is crumbling (I have anecdotal evidence of such a thing), which would imply that they were making ground in marginals, hence enhanced Con majority.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Prodicus said:

matt said:

Pulpstar said:

Depends who you talk to. I guess in a hospital you'd hear more pro Corbyn views. I run a small group of betting shops and most of the things I hear from customers (particularly from pensioners) about him aren't repeatable.
    It is not just overheard conversations from staff, but also patients. I don't think the polls are wrong.

My estimate is modest Tory gains, and a May Brexit with the scales having dropped from Tory eyes.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

What if she doesn't get a majority though?
    She'll resign Friday, or I'd hate to be Graham Brady's postman.
This discussion has been closed.