Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB/Polling Matters podcast: That latest YouGov forecast, p

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Scott_P said:
    This is PANIC mode. The Tories do not know what to do. I thought telling everyone that he was an IRA terrorist would do it.

PB Tories told us so.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,387
    Pulpstar said:

Speaking to the experts here.

The drivers that helped Brexit to win are helping Labour/Corbyn improve in the polls.

£350 million per week for the NHS?
    Motivated people who previously didn't vote are now saying they are going to vote. Pollsters used to downweight them in the polls.

Said voters: They also knew Brexit would cause economic harm but saw it as the only option to change the country.

Now replace Brexit with Corbyn in the previous sentence.
    Turnouts are always lowest in (safeish) Labour seats aren't they...
    Yes.

I'm burning my bet slips on Labour polling sub 20%
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2017
    In the unthinkable scenario where Corbyn actually becomes PM, he'd last between two and three years. It would take that long for the initial honeymoon to wear off, the public-sector unions to get over-greedy, public services to be ravaged with strikes, and unemployment to become intolerable.

The screenplay has already been written:

“I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, and you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, mis-placed, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council – a Labour council - hiring taxis to scuttle round a city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers".

Except it will be at a national, not council, level.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    rcs1000 said:

I know you wouldn't vote for Zacky G, and A N Other based on uni days. But is there something uniquely egregious about C L Leyland that the good voters of Hampstead & Kilburn should be aware of? (I know she stood in West Tyrone in 2015, which is perhaps the sign of a lover of lost causes, or desperate politico-wannabe keen to go anywhere and do anything required so the can start to clamber the greasy steps, but while both of these are bad, and gormless-looking publicity shots do not help either, neither seem disqualifying in their own right. I did wonder if her rather hippyish-sounding career in art therapy/psychotherapy, as I understand it, might hint at a worldview that clashes with your rational distaste for all forms of woo.)

There are exactly three Conservative candidatures I would not vote for: David Treddinick, Zac Goldsmith and Clare Louise Leyland. Of these, the first is because - as you say - he believes in woo. The second is more my general irritation at him for throwing away Richmond Park on a whim, and then having the gall to stand again. The last one is simply personal.
    rcs1000 said:

For the record, I would actively campaign against David Treddinick*. The others I would merely avoid voting for.

* If any of his opponents want a donation, please PM me. I can be very generous.

Ahh sorry, I was under the mistaken impression that Treddinick wasn't standing again so your Proscribed List would be down to two. Age is no barrier, I see. Hope anyone you fund turns out rather more successful than this lot.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

The drivers that helped Brexit to win are helping Labour/Corbyn improve in the polls.

Motivated people who previously didn't vote are now saying they are going to vote. Pollsters used to downweight them in the polls.

Said voters: They also knew Brexit would cause economic harm but saw it as the only option to change the country.

That doesn't make any sense. The pollsters are finding the only significant factor in the increase in the Labour vote is the change in the youth VI and turnout. These are not Brexiteers.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited May 2017

There are a number of Tory MPs that I would vote for, but Tredinnick not only is bonkers, but also has spent his 30 years as an MP for Bosworth living in London and Sussex. He really is a donkey in a blue rosette.

He has some properly weird views according to wiki:

Tredinnick's views have attracted criticism.[12] During the 2010 United Kingdom general election, he was opposed by New Scientist journalist Dr. Michael Brooks who objected to "Tredinnick's outspoken promotion of alternative medicine."[20] During a hustings debate called by Brooks to "highlight the scientific literacy of the UK's elected representatives", Brooks said that Tredinnick regarded homeopathy as a suitable treatment for malaria and HIV, which Tredinnick did not deny.[20] In March 2013, Tredinnick's opinions were described as "nonsensical" by the government's outgoing chief scientist, Sir John Beddington, who said the MP had fallen for the "Galileo fallacy" ("Galileo was laughed at but was right; therefore since I am laughed at I must be right").[21]

Tredinnick's appointment to the Health Committee in June 2010 was criticised in two science reports in The Guardian.[22][23] Martin Robbins said the appointment was "an extremely disturbing development", even though "Tredinnick is a figure unlikely to be taken seriously by policymakers".[22] Nature's Adam Rutherford described Tredinnick as "misinformed about a great many things" and said that "giving [him] influence on medical policy...is a bad move."[23] The Telegraph's writer Ian Douglas described the appointment as "a problem".[12]

Tredinnick's appointment to the Science and Technology Committee also drew criticism. Andy McSmith in The Independent cited Tredinnick's view that homeopathy could cure HIV, tuberculosis, malaria, urinary infections, diarrhoea, skin eruptions, diabetes, epilepsy, eye infections, intestinal parasites, cancer, and gangrene among other conditions, and quoted Imran Khan, former head of the Campaign for Science and Engineering, as saying that "someone with such incredibly odd views is not helpful."[8] Tom Whipple in The Times said his appointment caused despair,[9] whilst Elizabeth Gibney in the Times Higher Education quoted the Skeptical Voter website as saying that Tredinnick is "perhaps the worst example of scientific illiteracy in government."[10] Lord Winston described his beliefs in homeopathy and astrology as "lunatic".[24]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Tredinnick_(politician)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

In the unthinkable scenario where Corbyn actually become PM, he'd last between two and three years. It would take that long for the initial honeymoon to wear off, the public-sector unions to get over-greedy, public services to be ravaged with strikes, and unemployment to become intolerable.

“I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, and you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, mis-placed, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council – a Labour council - hiring taxis to scuttle round a city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers".

I cannot believe Richard's first sentence. Would he have been writing it just two weeks ago ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    A majority say Britain was wrong to vote for Brexit!
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    This is PANIC mode. The Tories do not know what to do. I thought telling everyone that he was an IRA terrorist would do it.

PB Tories told us so.
    Paging Jason, Paging Jason.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

That doesn't make any sense. The pollsters are finding the only significant factor in the increase in the Labour vote is the change in the youth VI and turnout. These are not Brexiteers.
    Read what I originally wrote. It's people who don't vote in elections or the EURef that are now turning out to vote for Corbyn, or are at least telling the pollsters that's what they are planning on doing

Just like what happened in the EURef
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited May 2017

@foxinsoxuk

So you're not voting for Corbyn then? :smiley:

No, I am Lib Dem.

I share Jezzas views in several areas. I left Labour because of the Iraq war and also NHS privatisation, and think Trident a pointless waste of money for an obselete weapons system designed for a Cold War that ended 25 years ago. Who do we even aim them at nowadays!

But his economic policy, nationalisations and finances are bonkers.
    Russia still have 8,000 nuclear war heads, Russia - western nation relations have rarely been as bad.

Whether we will have a nuclear war in the future who knows. I sleep better at night knowing we have a Nuclear deterrent and if we were unfortunate enough to get attacked at least we have the option of a counter attack.

I don't think giving up nuclear weapons is an option and the US wants European nations to pay for more defence not less.

Fair enough if you vote for Corbyn but be under no illusion that just because the cold war has ended some countries will still be hostile and want to influence or even attack us.
    As I ascend to heaven on a mushroom shaped cloud, I will not feel better for meeting a load of Russians at the pearly gates (not least because Russians are not orderly queuers).

And I did not say I was voting Corbyn. I live in a Tory seat now and will vote LibDem.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

There are a number of Tory MPs that I would vote for, but Tredinnick not only is bonkers, but also has spent his 30 years as an MP for Bosworth living in London and Sussex. He really is a donkey in a blue rosette. I am leafletting for LDs there as challengers.

I wouldn't vote for Alan Duncan either, having encountered him socially, while Edward Garnier was charming and helpful, and Nicky Morgan a very good constituency MP.

As a former Leicestershire resident, I never encountered Garnier but would concur with all three of your other judgements.
  • Options

That makes me question that poll even more tbh. Most polls have shown the public don't regret it.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Read what I originally wrote. It's people who don't vote in elections or the EURef that are now turning out to vote for Corbyn.

Just like what happened in the EURef
    You continued "said voters" implying they were the same people.

Well, lets see if these non-voters are on the electoral register.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916

Remain won 54-46 on unweighted numbers
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,956

Pulpstar said:

Turnouts are always lowest in (safeish) Labour seats aren't they...
    Yes.

I'm burning my bet slips on Labour polling sub 20%
    With all due respect that was peak ramping. That way lies madness my friend.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

If people are taking YouGov seriously with their record, well, we may as well start taking Lord Ashcroft's polling seriously.

What is their record?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

It is potentially a double wave election of mass youth voting plus the Brexiteers. If that happens, the Labour vote piles will be through the roof in Sheffield Central, Coventry South will stay red whilst Northwest will go blue and Blyth Valley turns blue...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    isam said:

Fewer people want to admit they voted for Brexit. It's a leading indicator of a lasting shift in opinion.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    MikeL said:

Playing around with Baxter - if Lab keep climbing but Con hold reasonably firm:

Con 42, Lab 41, LD 6, UKIP 2, Green 2 gives:

Con 324, Lab 249, LD 1, Green 1, SNP 56, PC 1, NI 18

(Assuming no special Scotland swing)

Whether that's right or wrong who knows - but it would imply that with both parties scoring very highly Con potentially has a very big votes to seats advantage.

Very interesting. I've had a look and the Tories only need to be ahead by 1.6 points to win an overall majority.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

In the unthinkable scenario where Corbyn actually become PM, he'd last between two and three years. It would take that long for the initial honeymoon to wear off, the public-sector unions to get over-greedy, public services to be ravaged with strikes, and unemployment to become intolerable.

I cannot believe Richard's first sentence. Would he have been writing it just two weeks ago ?
    I was responding to speculation upthread.

But of course no-one was thinking it a couple of weeks ago. No-one in their right mind, from any part of the sane political spectrum, would have believed that a third or more of voters would say they plan to vote for Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott. The idea of those three being within a million miles of the levers of power is grotesque beyond imagining. But, given the polling, we can no longer be certain that the grotesque won't come to pass, although I think it remains unlikely.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The honesty question is dynamite. Look at the swing!

The London subsample for certain to vote and how interesting have you found the campaign are... Interesting.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

the unweighted sample is hugely in favour of REMAIN. 910 to 787 to Remain. Suspicious.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited May 2017

All that happens if Corbyn is elected is that he'll be "found out" to be even worse than May (in the eyes of the electorate) in their wildest dreams, in less than 6 months.

But we could be stuck with him for 5 years, unless all the other parties no confidence him.

Which is unlikely, because the Tories would then take office again.

Corbyn would not last six weeks, let alone six months. Labour MPs would have him out in no time and there'd be nothing anyone could do.

In all honesty, I genuinely do not think the electorate has ever been presented with a worse set of choices than at this election. No-one deserves to win. Both candidates for PM give every impression of not being up to the task and, worse, of being willing to trash the UK economy.

Both candidates are dishonest for somewhat related reasons. We have choices and those choices have consequences. Corbyn promises us everything. In fact you can A or you can have B but you have to decide which you want. In May's case we have made our important choice, which is to leave the European Union and now we have to deal with the consequences. Brexit is a downgrade but she refuses to acknowledge that fact or admit it to the public, which means she is not managing Brexit in any effective way at all.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    How come there are two YG 50,000-respondent polls in Wikipedia?
  • Options

isam said:

Fewer people want to admit they voted for Brexit. It's a leading indicator of a lasting shift in opinion.
    I shouldn't think so
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

If people are taking YouGov seriously with their record, well, we may as well start taking Lord Ashcroft's polling seriously.

What is their record?
    Got the EUref wrong
    Got GE 2015 wrong
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    re not voting. It's a valid option but bear in mind that it's effectively a vote for whichever party wins the election.
  • Options

There are a number of Tory MPs that I would vote for, but Tredinnick not only is bonkers, but also has spent his 30 years as an MP for Bosworth living in London and Sussex. He really is a donkey in a blue rosette. I am leafletting for LDs there as challengers.

I wouldn't vote for Alan Duncan either, having encountered him socially, while Edward Garnier was charming and helpful, and Nicky Morgan a very good constituency MP.

I honestly have never understood how people like Tredinnick obtain and keep such safe seats. Surely the number of people who would want such a seat must be a mile long and the man has been a constant and colossal twat his whole career. Is it things like this that stop impressive people going into politics or is it the lack of good people in politics that leads us to David Tredinnick?
  • Options
    In Feb, with YouGov, May had a 68% lead over Corbyn on who would make the best PM with the over 65s. Now that lead is down to 48%.

Can't imagine what she's done to annoy the oldies
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

PB Tories told us so.
    Mind you, if I were a Tory I'd be relieved that the panic was taking this form, as it seems less likely to backfire than some other possibilities, such as trying to intensify the negative campaigning. But maybe there's still time for another panic closer to polling day.
  • Options
    It'll be funny if the Tories win a 150 seat majority after all this.
  • Options
    Do we have any polls due tomorrow?
  • Options

HaroldO said:

What is their record?
    Got the EUref wrong
    Got GE 2015 wrong
    How badly though? I will stop being lazy and look into it myself.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,426

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

You're the one who wants to protect the inheritances of the rich.

I'm going to not vote, for the first time in a long time. My wife (Conservative voter in 2015) has urged me to vote for anyone by Ms Leyland. But I can't - with all good conscious - vote for any of the options.

Ignoring personal issues about our local Conservative candidate, I dislike Mrs May. I think she is strident where she should be flexible. And weak where she should be strong. I think she spends too long focusing on whether a policy should be popular, and runs at the first sign of opposition.

I dislike Mr Corbyn more. Permanent giveaways may excite the 'progressive alliance', but it is no way to run a country.

I met many people like Mr Farron in student politics. I have no time for them. Were Mr Lamb the LibDem candidate, and were the LibDems campaigning on a "respect the Eu referendum vote, but soft Brexit" platform, I would vote for them. They are not.

While I am personally green in my habits, I loathe the Green party as enemies of progress.

Hi all!, Lurked around for a while but decided to join the party. I have to say this is a pretty decent summary of my own position in this election. Never been more put off by the idea of voting Labour but
    Grrrr! Beaten by forum issues already! Original Post:

Hi all! Lurked around for a while but decided to join the party. I have to say this is a pretty decent summary of my own position in this election. Never been more put off by the idea of voting Labour but also never felt worse about the idea of voting Tory. Not having a decent out in the form of the Lib Dems this time kind of puts the cherry on it. I can't believe Clegg would have done worse had he stayed on certainly I would be a lot more likely to vote for them (not that my vote can help anyone in the deepest blue of Safe Seats). Lamb would have excellent as well though the real shame is the absolute wipe out of talent from 2015 (not that the Blues or Reds have any more of it lying around). I a fairly constant optimist but I must say I'm struggling on the to see the good 'possible' outcome of this election rather than just the less awful.
    So it seems we're all agreed - alarmed by both May and Corbyn, we'll get Norman Lamb in to reinvent the Lib Dems as a sort of soft-Brexit en marche, at some point in the next week, and we can all vote for them.
    Failing this, we're down to, in my case, voting May out of fear of Corbyn, or, alternatively, for everyone else I know, voting Corbyn out of loathing of May.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    edited May 2017

How come there are two YG 50,000-respondent polls in Wikipedia?
    I think it's a rolling 7 day, with 7,000 per day.

You therefore need to be careful with ELBOW - to avoid double counting you only want one poll every 7 days - ie include the first one, then ignore the next six and then take the one exactly a week after the first one.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Michael Moszynski - who predicted IndyRef, GE 2015, and EUref correctly rubbished YouGov today and said that he thinks the Tories will win a majority between 103-108.

The polling industry has been so topsy-turvy in recent years it's unreal.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,312

surbiton said:

But of course no-one was thinking it a couple of weeks ago. No-one in their right mind, from any part of the sane political spectrum, would have believed that a third or more of voters would say they plan to vote for Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott. The idea of those three being within a million miles of the levers of power is grotesque beyond imagining. But, given the polling, we can no longer be certain that the grotesque won't come to pass, although I think it remains unlikely.
    We've marched in lock step through this GE, Richard.

Still with you.
  • Options

As a former Leicestershire resident, I never encountered Garnier but would concur with all three of your other judgements.
    Garnier retires at this election.

I get correspondance from most MPs from time to time on constituency business, where it intersects with the NHS. Their approach gives a lot away about their attitudes.

Some give it lip service, some are just working patronage, but the best take it up as a cause that extends well beyond their immediate constituent to change things for others. Garnier, Morgan and Kendall fall into that final hall of fame.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    nunu said:

the unweighted sample is hugely in favour of REMAIN. 910 to 787 to Remain. Suspicious.
    However, the composition of the unweighted sample is not very relevant, because the poll results have been weighted to the actual EURef result.
  • Options

This is why we take an avreage.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814

In Feb, with YouGov, May had a 68% lead over Corbyn on who would make the best PM with the over 65s. Now that lead is down to 48%.

That's still massive though...
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

What is their record?
    Got the EUref wrong
    Got GE 2015 wrong
    Their final EUref poll:
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/06/22/final-eve-poll-poll/

Their final GE 2015 poll:
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/05/08/general-election-opinion-polls-brief-post-mortem/
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Lord Ashcroft‏Verified account @LordAshcroft 25m25 minutes ago

The Ashcroft Model will be updated and released Friday. Fieldwork being completed. Am looking forward to result at http://lordashcroftpolls.com
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

surbiton said:

Quite so. A third, maybe, seemed plausible - I was thinking 30ish, but high 30s is beyond what anyone thought, and we cannot discount it entirely.

Night all. Given the polls are all over the place, it would be nice, for the bedwetters like me, for the direction of travel at least to move away from Labour, even if no one can agree on the actual shares or the state of the tory lead.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Not really. It's back to 2015 levels.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Scott_P said:
    hmm. It might work.

Or taking the pressure off might backfire. Also, not sure how it fits with the "coalition of chaos" angle they seemed to have set up for the final week.

On balance, I think she's misunderstood/miscalculated how a PM needs to act when seeking reelection. Let your attack dogs go after the opposition - keep yourself clean and be relentlessly positive.

Dave never went around saying "have you heard about ed's dad?" and other such shite.

Not in public, anyway.
    The manifesto was so awful you have to ask what 'positive' things they have to say.
    Deliver a million homes by 2020.
    Fantasy economics.

Then again, with Corbyn's manifesto....
    3 of the top 5 policies were actually in the tory manifesto- I don't know wy they didn't campaign on them.
  • Options
    nunu said:

This is why we take an avreage.
    Average Tory lead looks to be in the range of 8% - 9%.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2017
    Labour has a small lead on YouGov in the unweighted sample.

People who say YG just include "everyone who replies to the poll" (which would thus make it more inaccurate) are wrong. YouGov are already adjusting their raw data, based on turnout assumptions, to produce small Tory leads. Though their adjustments aren't as aggressive as ComRes and ICM admittedly.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Lord Ashcroft‏Verified account @LordAshcroft 25m25 minutes ago

The Ashcroft Model will be updated and released Friday. Fieldwork being completed. Am looking forward to result at http://lordashcroftpolls.com

It'd be hilarious if his model switches from near 400 possible for Tory to basically the same as YouGov.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I sent Mike an article I wrote on this on Monday... hopefully he will publish it soon
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Grrrr! Beaten by forum issues already! Original Post:

Hi all! Lurked around for a while but decided to join the party. I have to say this is a pretty decent summary of my own position in this election. Never been more put off by the idea of voting Labour but also never felt worse about the idea of voting Tory. Not having a decent out in the form of the Lib Dems this time kind of puts the cherry on it. I can't believe Clegg would have done worse had he stayed on certainly I would be a lot more likely to vote for them (not that my vote can help anyone in the deepest blue of Safe Seats). Lamb would have excellent as well though the real shame is the absolute wipe out of talent from 2015 (not that the Blues or Reds have any more of it lying around). I a fairly constant optimist but I must say I'm struggling on the to see the good 'possible' outcome of this election rather than just the less awful.

So it seems we're all agreed - alarmed by both May and Corbyn, we'll get Norman Lamb in to reinvent the Lib Dems as a sort of soft-Brexit en marche, at some point in the next week, and we can all vote for them.
    Failing this, we're down to, in my case, voting May out of fear of Corbyn, or, alternatively, for everyone else I know, voting Corbyn out of loathing of May.
    Sounds like a plan to me! I'll print out the leaflets. Must say it's times like this I am happy to live in a seat where my vote makes no difference. The only real point for me is signalling and even then it's mostly just signalling to myself.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    I wonder to what extent the parties have now seen postal votes - most must have been cast by now.

I know some people post on here that you can't see them but we have had pretty strong evidence in the past (eg the Labour Uncut article in 2015) that some people do manage to see them to some degree - ie enough to draw conclusions.
  • Options

isam said:

more like their sample is a bit odd. They are not getting enough wwc to do their panels everyday.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

nunu said:

However, the composition of the unweighted sample is not very relevant, because the poll results have been weighted to the actual EURef result.
    If your sample is full of enthusiastic remainiacs whose views may not be representative of remain voters, weighting them down to the correct quota doesn't stop them being unrepresentative.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    We're still going to win!

Goodnight!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Ave_it said:

Goodnight!

We're alllllriiiigghhhttt :D
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,108

isam said:

Pong said:

My assumption is it's the ex-lab, 2015 ukip, then brexit vote (that was blue a month ago) - which is boosting lab.

Any other theories?

I can't see why anyone fitting that description would vote for Corbyn. I am one of them, maybe not representative though. I live in a very Ukip area and have never heard anyone say one good thing about Corbyn, he is a laughing stock. In fact the only time two of my mates have ever brought up politics was to say 'wtf is that new labour weirdo all about'
    I live in Nottingham North, which is overwhelmingly WWC and had an 18.5% UKIP vote in 2015. My ward (Bulwell) voted more than 2-1 to leave. I've helped in several canvasses and it seems quite solidly Labour now - quite a few voters say they went UKIP last time but want to get the Tories out.
    My aun and uncle (a miner) lived in Bulwell. If Labour had lost Bulwell, you'd be sub 100 seats!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,832

isam said:

Pong said:

My assumption is it's the ex-lab, 2015 ukip, then brexit vote (that was blue a month ago) - which is boosting lab.

Any other theories?

I can't see why anyone fitting that description would vote for Corbyn. I am one of them, maybe not representative though. I live in a very Ukip area and have never heard anyone say one good thing about Corbyn, he is a laughing stock. In fact the only time two of my mates have ever brought up politics was to say 'wtf is that new labour weirdo all about'
    I live in Nottingham North, which is overwhelmingly WWC and had an 18.5% UKIP vote in 2015. My ward (Bulwell) voted more than 2-1 to leave. I've helped in several canvasses and it seems quite solidly Labour now - quite a few voters say they went UKIP last time but want to get the Tories out.
    You do know we all ignore your canvass reports, right?
    I don't.
    Nick P does tend to be very optimistic (albeit, so can we all be).
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Pong said:

Any other theories?

You do know we all ignore your canvass reports, right?
    I don't.
    Nick P does tend to be very optimistic (albeit, so can we all be).
    All canvass reports go into the hopper. :)
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Michael Moszynski - who predicted IndyRef, GE 2015, and EUref correctly rubbished YouGov today and said that he thinks the Tories will win a majority between 103-108.

Dear Apocolypse, saw some of the hassle you got earlier. You have every right to vote how you want, and have no need to justify it to anyone. I know you don't need my validation, but you have it anyway.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

I honestly have never understood how people like Tredinnick obtain and keep such safe seats. Surely the number of people who would want such a seat must be a mile long and the man has been a constant and colossal twat his whole career. Is it things like this that stop impressive people going into politics or is it the lack of good people in politics that leads us to David Tredinnick?
    I reckon I would be a rubbish MP.

But when I look at some people who do make it to the green benches, it does make you wonder whether "could I do a better job than him/her? In fact, how could I possibly do a worse job?"

I'm surprised constituency parties don't tell more of them that they've served their time now, time to look for fresh talent. But perhaps it can suit to have someone abject as the local MP. Someone smart and bright and on the way up may have less time for local affairs, particularly local party affairs.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    AndyJS said:

I still think the majority will be closer to 150 than to zero. The pollsters are providing little evidence that they've learnt from their mistakes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    MikeL said:

I wonder to what extent the parties have now seen postal votes - most must have been cast by now.

I know some people post on here that you can't see them but we have had pretty strong evidence in the past (eg the Labour Uncut article in 2015) that some people do manage to see them to some degree - ie enough to draw conclusions.

@woody662 Post history is "interesting"
  • Options
    Well, this is disappointing, but let's see what the others say. There are still some solid leads for the Tories in recent polling.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

AndyJS said:

Did you see his dust up with Joe Twyman from YouGov on Sky News this afternoon?
  • Options

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

What is their record?
    Got the EUref wrong
    Got GE 2015 wrong
    Their final EUref poll:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/05/08/general-election-opinion-polls-brief-post-mortem/
    So they were 6 an7% out on those occasions. Taking the avreage they could be 6.5% wrong again and the tory lead could actually be 9.5%, which is what the avreage of the polls are showing.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Given the speed at which @bigjohnowls is spinning, can I take it that Amber Rudd did rather well?

I think it is mainly the Tories spinning, isn't it? All those complaints about the biased BBC audience.
    Those were happening in real time here - and not just from posters on the right.
  • Options
    With YouGov, at the end of April 2015,Cameron had a 14% lead over Miliband on the best PM question.

Tonight Mrs May has a 13% lead over Corbyn on the same question
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Y0kel said:

kle4 said:

Y0kel said:

kle4 said:

Y0kel said:

I still suspect as the campaign goes on shy Tories who previously popped their heads above the parapet have gone into quiet head down silence.

But the Tories haven't slipped all that much, it's Labour who have risen.
    Read the whole post....
    I did, thank you, but I didn't think it adequately disputed that point.
    Let me clarify because I didn't put it across well.

In a nutshell, some average punters will just say they will vote Labour just to move on. But they won't on polling day, they'll go Conservative or not vote. And it only has to be 2 or 3 off the top of those Labour figures..or 5 if its You Gov....and its going to look a hell of a lot different

The Conservatives look solid at at least 43% or so. Labour, I suspect, has froth to the tune of several points. Bear in mind, I'm backing on my instinct being better than the average. Its not science because if it was, I'd follow what is apparently scientific, which won't make me money.

I never believed the massive margins, I believed that Conservative vote was frothy at the start and simply wouldn't stack up. and reckoned on a Conservative majority, 35 on an ok day, 50 on a great day over the rest combined because I'm not sure if Conservative votes will stack up quite in the way they hope.

Best estimate Conservatives 43%+, Labour 33% or below.

I'm sticking with Cons on 41-42%, Labour on 34-35%. Differential turnout giving a majority of between 20-40.

For now..
    You think the polls are overstating the Tories?
  • Options

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

What is their record?
    Got the EUref wrong
    Got GE 2015 wrong
    Their final EUref poll:

Thanks dude, was just chasing a chinchilla across the spare room so hadn't had time to look yet.
  • Options
    nunu said:

isam said:

more like their sample is a bit odd. They are not getting enough wwc to do their panels everyday.
    More it's the same as usual. About 2 out of 3 polls show pluralities for Leave.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    nunu said:

If you look at the top line of the table you can see the numbers after weighting Remain 737 to Leave 801. It's OK unless other under or over represented demographics have a greater tendency to regret their vote.

Edit: The Conservatives still do reasonably well on economic and Brexit competence in those statistics. The killer statistic for them is 51% think the Conservatives are dishonest (up from 44% in the previous survey).
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Danny565 said:

nunu said:

If your sample is full of enthusiastic remainiacs whose views may not be representative of remain voters, weighting them down to the correct quota doesn't stop them being unrepresentative.
    I agree, a sample that is unrepresentative in one domain is likely to be unrepresentative in others.

In adjusting for bias we can adjust for known variables, but the only way to adjust for unknown variables is an accurate random sample with high participation from contact.

Adjusted polls can show temporal trends, and whether we see ICM or YG, both have the lead shrinking by 10 points over 4 weeks, albeit from diferent baselines. It is getting closer. Not close enough to give a hung parliament though.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    Ave_it said:

Goodnight!

Michael Portillo has a famous motto:

WHO DARES WINS!

WE dare! WE will WIN!!!!
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

What is their record?
    Got the EUref wrong
    Got GE 2015 wrong
    Their final EUref poll:

Thanks dude, was just chasing a chinchilla across the spare room so hadn't had time to look yet.
    Another post of the campaign contender!
  • Options

Danny565 said:

nunu said:

I agree, a sample that is unrepresentative in one domain is likely to be unrepresentative in others.

In adjusting for bias we can adjust for known variables, but the only way to adjust for unknown variables is an accurate random sample with high participation from contact.

Adjusted polls can show temporal trends, and whether we see ICM or YG, both have the lead shrinking by 10 points over 4 weeks, albeit from diferent baselines. It is getting closer. Not close enough to give a hung parliament though.
    Unless it continues. Gods willing, it will not.
  • Options
    TonyTony Posts: 159

AndyJS said:

Thinking back to 2015 there was a wide divergence between phone and Internal panel polls, which turned out strongly in the phone poll's direction.

So much so that when EuRef came around we were all ready to ignore the Internet polls showing a close result and only really believe the Phone polls with their large Remain lead.

There's an argument to be made that the Internet panels are falling into the same trap as 2015 , and missing a whole swathe of Tory voters who don't have the time to fill in the surveys. Really don't believe for one second that there's only 3 points between the parties.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

What is their record?
    Got the EUref wrong
    Got GE 2015 wrong
    Their final EUref poll:

Another post of the campaign contender!
    *Tips hat*

I caught him under the spare bed and he is now eating some dinner.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

That makes me question that poll even more tbh. Most polls have shown the public don't regret it.
    It's been within the MOE of the actual result pretty much since the referendum. This poll is no different.

Meanwhile, the internals look awful for the Tories. Labour more positive, has better policies for the country, has better policies for my family, running good campaign. Tories the opposite.

Hmm.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

Dear Apocolypse, saw some of the hassle you got earlier. You have every right to vote how you want, and have no need to justify it to anyone. I know you don't need my validation, but you have it anyway.
    Thank you. As someone who has been consistent in my anti-Corbyn position on this site, I was rather shocked by the response of some PBers. I had always maintained I wouldn't vote Labour, so I don't know why they were so surprised.

@jonny83 Yes, I did - via YT. I felt sorry for Twyman!
  • Options
    Who dreamt up the May fightback line?

"Have faith in me."

Dangerously, dangerously close to "Who governs?"
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    MikeL said:

I don't know about else where but here they are only starting to open the postal votes this morning so parties might not of seen very many at all yet.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I'm not entirely sure there are words sufficient to express my contempt for the leadership of the Tory party, from John Major to David Cameron and George Osborne, right down to Theresa May.

The constant frustration of the public's rightful scepticism over the EU, may now result in a quasi-Marxist government of the UK.

Well done, chaps. No, really. Well DONE.

BRAVO.

Plenty of 'Tories' cheering it too

Must say though, the prospect of PM Corbyn gives me some idea of how @AlastairMeeks and @Scott_P must feel about the EU ref. I simply can't believe I might live in a country that could vote this prick and his lunatic posse in as our PM, CoftheE etc but it might happen IF SOME of the polls are accurate

• Options
    SeanT said:

I'm not entirely sure there are words sufficient to express my contempt for the leadership of the Tory party, from John Major to David Cameron and George Osborne, right down to Theresa May.

The constant frustration of the public's rightful scepticism over the EU, may now result in a quasi-Marxist government of the UK.

BRAVO.

Did you support Thatcher in 1983 and 1987?
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    edited May 2017
    We need more polls but a healthy Conservative majority now seems out of reach. A week to go but if the surge continues then it doesn't bode well. Goodnight all.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

Thank you. As someone who has been consistent in my anti-Corbyn position on this site, I was rather shocked by the response of some PBers. I had always maintained I wouldn't vote Labour, so I don't know why they were so surprised.

I don't know why you got such criticism.
  • Options
    O/T

"Donald Trump is stressed out, isolated and gaining weight, says new report

'I see him emotionally withdrawing. He doesn't have anybody whom he trusts', source says"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-us-president-stressed-gaining-weight-isolated-report-cnn-white-house-diet-a7764781.html
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Labour has a small lead on YouGov in the unweighted sample.

People who say YG just include "everyone who replies to the poll" (which would thus make it more inaccurate) are wrong. YouGov are already adjusting their raw data, based on turnout assumptions, to produce small Tory leads. Though their adjustments aren't as aggressive as ComRes and ICM admittedly.

Also, the two big parties are within a point before netting off.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Goodnight!

WHO DARES WINS!

WE dare! WE will WIN!!!!
    Michael Portillo famously lost of course ("Did you stay up for Portillo... ?")
  • Options
    I did a weird surveymonkey GE poll earlier, it cannot be for actual use as it was so close to voodoo it was unreal.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    bobajobPB said:

Who dreamt up the May fightback line?

"Have faith in me."

Dangerously, dangerously close to "Who governs?"

Is that really the line?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120

Ave_it said:

Goodnight!

WHO DARES WINS!
    Didn't he have to stop using that after a dramatic loss of nerve?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    SeanT said:

BRAVO.

It's actually worse than that. The SNP would now be dealing with Corbyn and inevitably Scottish independence becomes more likely once again. Remainers will blame Brexit for this mess as some are already taking the opportunity to do. The country will be riven apart.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T

"Donald Trump is stressed out, isolated and gaining weight, says new report

'I see him emotionally withdrawing. He doesn't have anybody whom he trusts', source says"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-us-president-stressed-gaining-weight-isolated-report-cnn-white-house-diet-a7764781.html

Fat shaming? Tut.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

What is their record?
    Got the EUref wrong
    Got GE 2015 wrong
    Their final EUref poll:

I'm she.

A chinchilla? WHAT?
  • Options

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

What is their record?
    Got the EUref wrong
    Got GE 2015 wrong
    Their final EUref poll:

I'm she.

A chinchilla? WHAT?
    I call everyone dude.

Yes, we have two pet chinchilla's.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

No problem.I am anti-Corbyn but will be voting Labour. It is a democratic election.
  • Options
    Tony said:

AndyJS said:

Thinking back to 2015 there was a wide divergence between phone and Internal panel polls, which turned out strongly in the phone poll's direction.

So much so that when EuRef came around we were all ready to ignore the Internet polls showing a close result and only really believe the Phone polls with their large Remain lead.

There's an argument to be made that the Internet panels are falling into the same trap as 2015 , and missing a whole swathe of Tory voters who don't have the time to fill in the surveys. Really don't believe for one second that there's only 3 points between the parties.
    Thing is with online polls is that there may be issues in capturing the 65+ vote. Easier to get my age group to do these polls, especially with a money incentive. Less easier to get the oldies to do it when many of them are not very tech savvy.

@bobajobPB Yes, I agree. Their campaign has been awful so no surprises there.
  • Options

I reckon I would be a rubbish MP.

But when I look at some people who do make it to the green benches, it does make you wonder whether "could I do a better job than him/her? In fact, how could I possibly do a worse job?"

I'm surprised constituency parties don't tell more of them that they've served their time now, time to look for fresh talent. But perhaps it can suit to have someone abject as the local MP. Someone smart and bright and on the way up may have less time for local affairs, particularly local party affairs.
    I agree with that logic but Tredinnick from all reports is a fairly poor local MP as well. It's hard to imagine that him living over a hundred miles from his constituency for the last 3 decades combined with his general ineptitude would could be a good locally or nationally. I do think there is a good argument to say we shouldn't demand all our MPs be far above the average man as it would probably worsen the general disconnect already felt but I don't think he represents the common man either.
This discussion has been closed.