Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB/Polling Matters podcast: That latest YouGov forecast, p

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB/Polling Matters podcast: That latest YouGov forecast, pollster wars & TMay’s lost momentum

On this week’s episode of the PB/Polling Matters podcast Keiran is joined by Chris Curtis from YouGov and Adam Drummond of Opinium to discuss the latest polling and General Election campaign developments.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    First! :lol:
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    What happened to my post? :angry:
  • Options
    indianhavenindianhaven Posts: 22
    Placed-as I hope Horseplay will be at Epsom on Friday
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    Tonight's message from Lynton Crosby to the people of the UK: No Theresa May is better than a bad Theresa May
  • Options
    Owen Jones‏Verified account @OwenJones84 2h2 hours ago
    More
    Amber Rudd says the best person to lead Britain is someone who is too weak and scared to turn up to a TV debate.
  • Options
    6th like Wood
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    7th like NuttJob

@AmberRuddHR - an ex-stockbroker and descendant of Charles II. This is the elite that wants Britain to stay rigged
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    May may be a reasonable administrator ( the evidence is mixed) but she is a shite politician. She has come seriously close to losing an unlosable election against an incompetent unelectable dork. A truly remarkable achievement.

Hopefully the good sense of the British people will elect May despite her very best efforts. She doesn't deserve it but we don't have a viable choice.

God I can't wait for this to be over.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    In the style of the Sixt car rental advert:

THAT's NOTHING! I did the Settle to Carlisle rail line today!

Mwahahahaha!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    chloe said:

kjohnw said:

chloe said:

I doubt if debates in themselves change voting intentions much but the main story from this debates is that May did not take part meaning continuing negative coverage. Not helpful in getting the core message across about who is best able to get a good Brexit deal.

More tightening in the polls to be expected. Corbyn for all his many faults is proving once again to be an excellent campaigner. He has proved that in winning two leadership elections and I am finding it hard not to envisage a victory for him in this election.

The message of coalition of chaos and friend of Hamas et al is not being heard.

not in your world but in the real world Corbyn is toxic and the silent majority will dismiss him on June 8
    He's toxic in my world too but he has not been properly challenged and as far as I can tell he is the one with the momentum (and I don't just mean his Corbyistas) in this election.
    That's what the polls say, although apart from YouGov they still say good Tory win.

Tonight's message from Lynton Crosby to the people of the UK: No Theresa May is better than a bad Theresa May

Ha! Funny and true.

Owen Jones‏Verified account @OwenJones84 2h2 hours ago
    More
    Amber Rudd says the best person to lead Britain is someone who is too weak and scared to turn up to a TV debate.

It's a fine line of attack, although of course it is a plausible premise that someone might be better at governance than debating on TV.
  • Options

LOL. Ouch.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Lol! "Oh Jeremy Corbyn" chant in the style of "Oh Santi Cazorla" behind Faisal in Cambridge.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

7th like NuttJob

@AmberRuddHR - an ex-stockbroker and descendant of Charles II. This is the elite that wants Britain to stay rigged

What do her antecedents matter?
  • Options
    ITV not good for weak and wobbly No Shower
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    tlg86 said:

Lol! "Oh Jeremy Corbyn" chant in the style of "Oh Santi Cazorla" behind Faisal in Cambridge.

Happened at Wirral music festival. Was first time I thought he may be motivating some people.
  • Options
    Apologies if this has been posted before but this looks interesting.

http://www.britishpollingcouncil.org/how-have-the-polls-changed-since-2015/

First of all, it looks like the BPC is getting its excuses in early for any polling failure.

"The Council thus resolves to commission for publication and launch in autumn 2019, a report that describes the methods being used by its members in their polls of UK election voting intentions and how these methods have changed since 2015. This report will be launched at a seminar at which individual member companies will present details of their current methodology.

This motion was, of course, written in the expectation that, given the terms of the Fixed Terms Parliament Act, the next general election would be held in May 2020. The decision of the Prime Minister, endorsed by the House of Commons, that a snap election should be held on 8 June 2017 has meant that the BPC has been unable to implement its motion by holding an event and publishing a report as it originally intended."

Now look at what YouGov say in their response to how they have changed their panel post-2015

"Panel Recruitment

Since 2015 we have focused our efforts at recruiting people into our panel of potential respondents more specifically upon those who belong to groups that were under-represented in our samples during the 2015 election, particularly those with a low level of interest in politics, younger panellists with low educational qualifications, and those who did not vote at the previous general election."

That seems in a nutshell what might be happening with YouGov and its results. Seems like a recipe for disaster but who knows?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    IF the YouGov Seat Model is right, then the Tories' problems are encapsulated in 3 seats:

In Bootle, there is projected to be a much-fabled Tory surge: their vote is projected to go up 10 points to 18%. But that doesn't get them any bang for their buck since Labour will still safely romp home

In Christchurch, again, the Tories are set to rocket from a pensioners' bonus, with their vote also projected to go up by 10% there, taking them to 68%. But that also doesn't get them any extra bang for their buck, since they already hold that seat.

Meanwhile, in their #1 target seat Chester, they're projected to get 44% -- that's up only 1% on 2015, and leaves them trailing Labour by more than 5%.

That's all IF YouGov is correct....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    The massive Labour protest that greeted Amber Rudd "Where's May" works in the Tories' favour I think.
  • Options

Mwahahahaha!

I love that line its superb.

Thank God its open again
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

IF the YouGov Seat Model is right, then the Tories' problems are encapsulated in 3 seats:

In Bootle, there is projected to be a much-fabled Tory surge: their vote is projected to go up 10 points to 18%. But that doesn't get them any bang for their buck since Labour will still safely romp home

In Christchurch, again, the Tories are set to rocket from a pensioners' bonus, with their vote also projected to go up by 10% there, taking them to 68%. But that also doesn't get them any extra bang for their buck, since they already hold that seat.

Meanwhile, in their #1 target seat Chester, they're projected to get 44% -- that's up only 1% on 2015, and leaves them trailing Labour by more than 5%.

I'd urge extreme caution on that Yougov model. Hanretty with some welsh corrections is better. We might see more welsh info tommorow.
  • Options
    Does the BBC really believe that they get "undecided voters " on these panels? I mean, seriously? Or is just a convenient fiction?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Has anyone come up with this line yet?

"Corbyn is offering the electorate a free lunch and they're buying it".
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    David Cowling on recent polling changes.

http://survation.com/tide-turned-david-cowling/

Some food for thought, Tories still ahead on key areas despite campaign foul ups.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

The massive Labour protest that greeted Amber Rudd "Where's May" works in the Tories' favour I think.

Why?

Do you not think the PM should defend her policies
  • Options
    Adam Boulton‏Verified account @adamboultonSKY 9m9 minutes ago
    More
    Tory sympathisers rubbishing of #bbcdebates suggests to me they are a little bit worried about Where's May? Good tactics by JC
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    I'm busy at the Cambridge event, so follow the twitter feed of Sam Coates
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Pulpstar said:

Why?
    It's like when John Major was pelted by eggs in 1992. Some people don't like that sort of spectacle. It looks like the rule of the mob taking over. I understand some Labour voters hate Tories, I mean really hate them and their emotions carry them away but it repels non tribal Labour people i.e. 70% plus of the population.
  • Options
    Did we not do this nonsense just in 2015 ( where Yougov were miles out) ? I mean why are these people getting paid for this nonsense?
  • Options
    hoveitehoveite Posts: 43
    IanB2 said:

hoveite said:

There is a plan to upgrade the rail line between Hastings and London. Plenty of people in Hastings think this would be good for the area - and that it is more likely to happen if the local MP is in the cabinet and in a position to push it through. If Hastings home owners vote for what they think is most likely to benefit them financially they'll vote for Amber Rudd.

You'll still have to put up with narrower carriages than everyone else; that tunnel south of Sevenoaks killed enough people digging it the first time.
    The plan is to upgrade the line to Ashford and then use the high speed line into St Pancras rather than go via Sevenoaks.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Theresa, the debate is over. You can come out from back of the sofa now !
  • Options
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

YouGov:

Con 42%
    Lab 39%
    LD 7%
    UKIP 4%
    Oth 8%

They are going to rubbish this one as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

I'd urge extreme caution on that Yougov model. Hanretty with some welsh corrections is better. We might see more welsh info tommorow.
    Hanretty doesn't seem to be taking into account demographics of different seats AT ALL.

I'm very doubtful that the gap between the two parties is as small as 3-4% like YouGov claim (10% is much closer to the mark I think, maybe a bit less on a good day for Lab) but their workings of how proportionally the votes are going to stack up, which seats the parties will increase/decrease the most in, looks pretty sound to me. Whatever their voteshare lead on the day, I think the Tories will have a smaller lead in seats than UNS would indicate.
  • Options
    Here is a neat summary of why it is unwise to think that social media matter so much.

https://www.thinkbox.tv/~/media/Images/Chart-Images/Research/Thinkbox-Research/TV-Nation-Ad-Nation-2016/TV-Nation-Ad-Nation-2016-Slide-08.ashx?la=en&hash=3A95F42E97F42BCC2E88A9BEFDC10C138AF4752C

The general population is far less "twitterised" than many of the opinion formers assume and let's be honest, if you are accessing a political betting website at 10pm in the evening, you are not normal, myself included.

For all the twitter and social media frenzy of JC's supporters, the "silent majority" are likely to go with May, and in a big way.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

How so? Tories are free to turn up.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Pulpstar said:

Meanwhile, in Bath, "Bath deserves better".

You've had a Tory MP for all of 2 years, ya muppets....
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited May 2017
    By being the only one to not turn up for the squabble, T May showing just how strong she is.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,262
    3 points?

Will the last person voting Conservative please turn out the lights
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

YouGov:

Con 42%
    Lab 39%
    LD 7%
    UKIP 4%
    Oth 8%

They are going to rubbish this one as well.
    I thought you would have learned from 2015 to be weary of YouGov and their polls.....
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452

Mwahahahaha!

Hi Sunil,
    Glad you're here to make me feel better with your trains. I did the Leigh guided busway today. Slightly outside your usual idiom, but I'd recommend it. Comfier than the comfiest train, with a splendid view from the upstairs deck.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

How so? Tories are free to turn up.
    Tories make their own decisions. Not intimidated. Other parties should take note.
  • Options

3 points?

Labour might even be in front as it is within the margin of error! :naughty:
  • Options
    Have we had 3 prime ministers in 2 years before?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,979

3 points?

Con vote basically unchanged since just before the election was called.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

• Options
    TMA1TMA1 Posts: 225
    AndyJS said:

Has anyone come up with this line yet?

"Corbyn is offering the electorate a free lunch and they're buying it".

He is robbing peter to pay paul to buy the free lunch.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    we are through the looking glass now - time to start checking out emmigration possibilities
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Why?
    It's like when John Major was pelted by eggs in 1992. Some people don't like that sort of spectacle. It looks like the rule of the mob taking over. I understand some Labour voters hate Tories, I mean really hate them and their emotions carry them away but it repels non tribal Labour people i.e. 70% plus of the population.
    We have a long and proud tradition of noisy, sometimes rowdy political events in Britain. It is a tradition I am particularly proud of. If people don't like our culture...
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Yougov are going to have a lot of egg on their faces in a weeks time.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

By being the only one to not turn up for the squabble, T May showing just how strong she is.

I did think this while watching the coverage on the 10pm News. It just looked like a bunch of political dwarves squabling among themselves, I had to switch over temporarily, the SNP twit was especially irritating. There is an argument that May is better off out - rise above it.
  • Options
    Momentum are not going to believe it when the Conservatives win the election.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Apologies if this has been posted before but this looks interesting.

http://www.britishpollingcouncil.org/how-have-the-polls-changed-since-2015/

First of all, it looks like the BPC is getting its excuses in early for any polling failure.

"The Council thus resolves to commission for publication and launch in autumn 2019, a report that describes the methods being used by its members in their polls of UK election voting intentions and how these methods have changed since 2015. This report will be launched at a seminar at which individual member companies will present details of their current methodology.

This motion was, of course, written in the expectation that, given the terms of the Fixed Terms Parliament Act, the next general election would be held in May 2020. The decision of the Prime Minister, endorsed by the House of Commons, that a snap election should be held on 8 June 2017 has meant that the BPC has been unable to implement its motion by holding an event and publishing a report as it originally intended."

Now look at what YouGov say in their response to how they have changed their panel post-2015

"Panel Recruitment

Since 2015 we have focused our efforts at recruiting people into our panel of potential respondents more specifically upon those who belong to groups that were under-represented in our samples during the 2015 election, particularly those with a low level of interest in politics, younger panellists with low educational qualifications, and those who did not vote at the previous general election."

That seems in a nutshell what might be happening with YouGov and its results. Seems like a recipe for disaster but who knows?

It's a Groucho Marx paradox (as in I would not want to belong to a club which would have me as a member): they are setting out to gain recruits who pass the test of being the sort of people who would never in a thousand years want to be recruited by them. As they are not going to volunteer the recruiters are stuffed. Perhaps the courts could be encouraged to make it a condition of bail that you do 3 political surveys a week, or VI questions could be incorporated into the process of logging on to claim benefits.
  • Options
    39% is the new 25%

Does anyone actually believe etc etc etc
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

That, or ICM/ComRes/Panelbase are.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    Wow, is this true?

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/870007849660817410

If so I'll cut Rudd a bit of slack.

Tessy otoh..
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Meanwhile, in Bath, "Bath deserves better".

You've had a Tory MP for all of 2 years, ya muppets....
    That's more than enough.
  • Options

39% is the new 25%

Does anyone actually believe etc etc etc

Yet you can't be confident that Labour will win one of the closest marginals. It just doesn't add up.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited May 2017
    AndyJS said:

Four PMs Oct 1922 Jan 1924 - LL G, Bonar Law, Baldwin, McDonald.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

3 points?

We turned them off whilst on holiday at half term . Will turn back on next week. Polls will be a little different then I wager.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Why?
    We have a long and proud tradition of noisy, sometimes rowdy political events in Britain. It is a tradition I am particularly proud of. If people don't like our culture...
    Oh of course Labour should be allowed to do it, but I think it is counterproductive to the mass audience

"Why's May not there"
    "Biased audience and hecklers, why should she turn up for this shitshow"
  • Options

Wow, is this true?

Tessy otoh..

Bloody hell really.

That makes May look even worse.
  • Options

Wow, is this true?

Tessy otoh..

How the fcuk can anyone know? Maybe Rudd was actually asked if she wanted to do it? Maybe she herself actually wanted to do it?

Sorry but this is getting childish now.
  • Options

Wow, is this true?

Tessy otoh..

Not quite. Tory team here say Rudd wanted to do it.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
  • Options
    It's at this point that Corbyn may be getting some training on how to kiss hands with HMQ.
  • Options

Wow, is this true?

Tessy otoh..

You and your facts.
  • Options
    Also, worth bearing in mind that, ahead of the 2016 local elections, YouGov were the only pollster giving Labour leads, and predicting they would do quite well in the local elections.

On Local Elections Day, Labour did indeed have a lead in voteshare....
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926

Wow, is this true?

Tessy otoh..

Wow, is this true?

Tessy otoh..

Wow, is this true?

Tessy otoh..

I bet you Rudd wanted to go on and continue
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    edited
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    DavidL said:

Did we not do this nonsense just in 2015 ( where Yougov were miles out) ? I mean why are these people getting paid for this nonsense?
    I should try to cultivate a stiffer upper lip if I were you. If Theresa May does suffer ill effects from not attending the debate, we may well see at least one poll with Labour ahead by the final weekend of the campaign.
  • Options

Wow, is this true?

Tessy otoh..

Where is 'here'?
  • Options
    All the pollsters are picking up samples with the Tories basically 3% or so ahead of Labour. But in this country Tories are overwhemingly more likely not to tell someone how they will vote. So the pollsters make various guesswork assumptions as to how to allocate the "shy ones".

It's immensely difficult compared to say France where everyone just says who they'll actually vote for,
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    RobD said:

Chameleon said:

TNS and Opinium too.

If Yougov are right, I'll be slashing my wrists.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Wow, is this true?

Tessy otoh..

Where is 'here'?
    TSE mentioned he was in Cambridge.
  • Options
    We should have an entry and exit poll on the BBC audience tonight.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Have faith in me sounds desperate.

Not a great time to get some news on Thanet, either.
  • Options
    Shouldn't Theresa May be sanctioned for failing to attend a job interview?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Wow, is this true?

Tessy otoh..

Where is 'here'?
    TSE is in Cambridge. Read the thread.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Chris said:

DavidL said:

I should try to cultivate a stiffer upper lip if I were you. If Theresa May does suffer ill effects from not attending the debate, we may well see at least one poll with Labour ahead by the final weekend of the campaign.
    It'll probably be YouGov.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172

Wow, is this true?

Tessy otoh..

I'd say that's a classic 'It's great that you still want do this but I think it's really time I stood up to the plate' situation.

But that's just me.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

I did think this while watching the coverage on the 10pm News. It just looked like a bunch of political dwarves squabling among themselves, I had to switch over temporarily, the SNP twit was especially irritating. There is an argument that May is better off out - rise above it.
    That's what the Cameroons said when Dave swerved the 2015 debate
  • Options

Wow, is this true?

Tessy otoh..

Isn't Amber Rudd old enough to decide whether or not she wanted to do it?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Wouldnt the easiest thing to do, if available, is get voter registration figures and see if there has been a genuinely big move in new registrations say compared to 2015 or before the Brexiot poll? If, as seems to be suggested either pollsters are over or under estimated the likelihood of the younger demographics to turn out, wouldn't a surge in registrations suggest at least there might be something worth analysing further?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    As OGH says, elections are decided on this question - not on party loyalty.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_P said:
    What is the tns poll which has 10 point lead?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Chameleon said:

TNS and Opinium too.

If Yougov are right, I'll be slashing my wrists.
    Say eating your hat Sean

Its must less risky
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Wow, is this true?

Tessy otoh..

Where is 'here'?
    The debate in Cambridge.

I wasn't in the audience, though.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Wouldnt the easiest thing to do, if available, is get voter registration figures and see if there has been a genuinely big move in new registrations say compared to 2015 or before the Brexiot poll? If, as seems to be suggested either pollsters are over or under estimated the likelihood of the younger demographics to turn out, wouldn't a surge in registrations suggest at least there might be something worth analysing further?

I have read on here that the surge at the deadline was less than half the surge before the EU referendum.
  • Options

We should have an entry and exit poll on the BBC audience tonight.

You think they would have told the truth?
  • Options

Momentum are not going to believe it when the Conservatives win the election.

Will they take to the streets with their little flags, angry?
This discussion has been closed.