Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Macron makes it to the final two then surely he’s the next

1235»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    IanB2 said:

'Strengthen the government's hand and give May the best shot in the negotiations' is going to be a strong line for the Tories.

She's realised that the EU holds all the cards and doesn't want 18 months of humiliation.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

justin124 said:

But Labour can block it!

Do not think they can politically
    how many votes needed 400plus
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    And it's put up or shut up from Lab plotters.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    New day, new thread
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    What happens to Gorton now, then...?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Walking in the Welsh hills has clearly focused her mind.
  • Options

Wow wasn't expecting that. Despite all her previous announcements to the contrary this is definitely the smart move for her to make.

This also indicates she will stand on a manifesto that displeases ultra-leavers. She can get endorsement via electorate for a form of transition deal, because she has no chance of losing to Corbyn. She wants to get her insurance policy in against inevitable cries of betrayal.

I agree with this

She can't be beaten by remainers/opposition parties or by hard brexiters, so can get a 'mandate' for anything in between
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

This also indicates she will stand on a manifesto that displeases ultra-leavers.

I doubt there will be anything specific in the manifesto about the negotiations - just meaningless fluff about forging a new and deep relationship with Europe and having the best possible trading terms. The last thing she will want is a GE on the detail of Brexit - all she will want is a focus on who is best / most trusted to deliver.

The insurance from the head-bangers will simply be that she has a lot more MPs.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,738
    justin124 said:

But Labour can block it!

She has essentially said Labour is an irrelevance. I wouldn't put it past Corbyn to agree with her.

More worryingly she also views parliament and and anyone who voted Remain as irrelevances too.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    TGOHF said:

justin124 said:

But Labour can block it!

Is Jezza red or yellow ?
    I *like* that line.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Election JUNE 8th
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    TOPPING said:

Surely they won't mount another challenge against Corbyn? No time before GE...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Walking in the Welsh hills has clearly focused her mind.

Except of course this gives the Labour party a chance to survive when they kick out Jezza
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Well they're out on their ear if they don't.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

I can't see them putting in the effort in the next month or so.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    It neatly solves the problem of the 12 seats too.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Good morning all.

June 8th. I'm genuinely surprised. This is huge.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Wow.

Yesterday I remarked that The problem with Clegg's FTPA (and, specifically, Osborne's five year amendment to it) is that there are two conflicting things that the good of the country requires: a functioning opposition and hard Leftism to be trounced at an election since the lesson of 1983 has apparently been forgotten - it looks like May has found a way to square the circle.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Well, this makes the weekend thread comparing Theresa May with Gordon Brown look particularly silly
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    I haven't even given thought to who to vote for yet. I am honestly not sure who. I'm in a Labour-Tory marginal (Labour held). I can't stand Corbyn but like the local MP. I'm probably closest to a Lib Dem position but not interested in stopping Brexit, though I support a soft Brexit. The LDs have always been irrelevant in my seat anyway.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited April 2017
    Tom Blenkinsop has stepped down in Middlesborough and E Cleveland, how many other MPs will do the same?

Always possible that Greens, Labour, UKIP and LDs might have new leaders after the GE.
  • Options

Well, this makes the weekend thread comparing Theresa May with Gordon Brown look particularly silly

Lesson from Gordon Brown, say nothing about intention to go to polls.
  • Options
    But this wasn't going to happen????
  • Options
    No sign of Corbyn on TV or Twitter.
This discussion has been closed.