Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s problems go well beyond Corbyn – it’s just that they’

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited April 2017
    Sean_F said:

Ken Livingstone latest:

"The Holocaust was massively exaggerated by Zionist leaders."

Does Ken mean Hitler? ... difficult to tell these days !!
  • Options
    glw said:

Hitler.

As bad as the stuff Ken has said is, it's nowhere near as bad as the things his defenders are saying on Twitter. There appear to be a lot of deeply strange Labour supporters out there.

Indeed. It's all rather sad.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Yorkcity said:

Nigel Farage in a speech to EU parliament calls them the Mafia.Italian PM complains changes it to gangsters.

He should have learned from the Beast of Bolsover:

'Half the Tory members are crooks'

ORDER

I apologise Mr Speaker. Half the Tory members are not crooks
  • Options

glw said:

HYUFD said:

Verhofstadt suggests UK common rather than Napoleonic law as reason for Brexit
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/849526582540738560

I agree, it's one of the differences that make the UK less compatible with the EU.
    It was a point made by a distinguished Physics Professor - name escapes me - that with Parliament & the Common Law we've got pretty robust error correction systems - yes, governments and electorates can and will get it wrong - but the system reasonably swiftly corrects the error. The EU has no such mechanism - which ultimately leads to egregious uncorrected errors - which sadly often end up being resolved with violence...
    Huzzah!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,933
    kle4 said:

His frustration is understandable but amounts to him throwing a wobbler because the media wontvreport enough in what he wants. He might suffer that more than some, but does he think the media reports everything the others want? No.

Well we could talk about what labour is doing with Ken if you like, Jeremy?

A month-long general election campaign, with daily interviews like this, is going to be hilarious.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

glw said:

HYUFD said:

I agree, it's one of the differences that make the UK less compatible with the EU.
    It was a point made by a distinguished Physics Professor - name escapes me - that with Parliament & the Common Law we've got pretty robust error correction systems - yes, governments and electorates can and will get it wrong - but the system reasonably swiftly corrects the error. The EU has no such mechanism - which ultimately leads to egregious uncorrected errors - which sadly often end up being resolved with violence...
    As the UK quite clearly suffers from serious errors that have been festering for decades and are politically impossible to correct, that argument only works in theory, not in practice.
    All countries suffer from such errors (perhaps with the exception of Singapore). The UK, for all its faults, is one of the best parts of the World to live in.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236

Sean_F said:

Ken Livingstone latest:

He seriously said that?

Ken is David Irving and I claim my new threepenny bit.
    I automatically assumed that was ironical, a dangerous thing to do these days.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Patrick said:

Jonathan said:

I quite liked some of what Corbyn said yesterday. I have no problem with him getting angry. There is a lot to be angry about.

Of all the things you are angry about which ones were not Gordon Brown's fault one way or other?
    We're 7 years in to this government - even things that were his fault, this government should have a grip on or have solved by now. All parties blame their predessors in power, but personally I think the time period on that being reasonable has passed. And that's a reasonable expectation - its why we elect and reelect in 4-5 year terms, since we expect them to stand on their record after that time, even if the problems from the last lot were huge.
    It's only seven years, still a long time to go before Brown's spending is off the hook. We still haven't got rid of his deficit. Remember that Maggie was still getting the blame 20 years after she'd departed the scene ;)
  • Options

glw said:

HYUFD said:

As the UK quite clearly suffers from serious errors that have been festering for decades and are politically impossible to correct, that argument only works in theory, not in practice.
    Please could you elucidate.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited April 2017

Sean_F said:

Ken Livingstone latest:

He seriously said that?

Ken is David Irving and I claim my new threepenny bit.
    Can't you evaluate an idea on the basis of whether or not it might be accurate?

Are you aware that western estimates of the number of Jewish people murdered at Auschwitz was cut from 4 million to 1 million about 25-30 years ago, with the former figure getting blamed on Soviet exaggeration?

It's quite easy to watch someone getting attacked by a mob at a bus stop.
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,350
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

His frustration is understandable but amounts to him throwing a wobbler because the media wontvreport enough in what he wants. He might suffer that more than some, but does he think the media reports everything the others want? No.

Well we could talk about what labour is doing with Ken if you like, Jeremy?

A month-long general election campaign, with daily interviews like this, is going to be hilarious.
    I think Labour has potential to achieve a GE vote higher than its poll ratings, as there are bound to be some Lab voters telling pollsters they will switch who, when it comes to it, will return to their tribal loyalty. On the other hand, the actual campaign promises to be punishing to their credibility - just as in 1983 where the contradictions between a left-wing manifesto and more moderate 'grandees' ended up all over the press in the final weeks.

It is going to be very interesting to see how these contradicting trends play out.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,114

Betting post:
    The only French all-candidate debate is over and worth paying attention to. Melanchon won on performance and virtually tied on programme. Le Pen was 4th. The odds look wildly out of line: Debate report here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/05/french-presidential-debate-macron-le-pen
    Polls here:
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics

Macron: Poll 25 (and 60-40 in round 2), odds 1.73, my position +204
    Le Pen poll 25, odds 4.5, my position -216
    Melanchon poll 15.5, odds30, my position +180
    Fillon poll 17.5, odds 5.9, my position -23
    Hamon poll 10, odds 280, my position -9

DYOR, but if I had the cash I'd bet Macron down to 1.5 and put another £10 on Melanchon as a trading bet - I think he should go down to 20 or so when a poll shows him ovrtaking Fillon. Fillon's odds are puzzlingly good and possibly there's Russian money there - if so, you may as well take their unwise dosh. Hamon could be laid but the silly lay price of 360 makes it unappealing - actually worse than Asselineau, whose poll rating is zero point 5 per cent.

If a poll comes out showing Melenchon tied or even ahead of Fillon that may be the time to bet on Fillon given his supporters are mainly pensioners and more likely to vote and centre right parties have consistently outperformed the polls in recent elections
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Ken Livingstone latest:

Does he really want every Jewish member of the Labour party to leave? That's what it seems like
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Sean_F said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

All countries suffer from such errors (perhaps with the exception of Singapore). The UK, for all its faults, is one of the best parts of the World to live in.
    I don't dispute that, but let's not get lost in self-congratulatory rhetoric about how superior our system is to the rest of Europe.
    Patrick said:

An obvious example for someone with your economic views is the NHS. Something that is clearly not 'the envy of the world', and yet public debate is almost completely devoid of rational discussion about options.
  • Options
    I've just had a good read of the Wiki entry for Common Law. It seems Scotland has a modified Civil Law system and not a true Common Law system as per England and the entire base of former colonies - of this I was not aware. Explains alot.
  • Options
    The use of the word 'stupid' was a little, err, stupid, but that's his opinion and his prerogative. The rest of the text was positive about the need for a good agreement and for the rest of the EU to carry on with their project - not my view but quite legitimate.

The tone was a lot more collegiate though, no more talking about punishment and payments. Progress of sorts?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2017

Sean_F said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

I don't dispute that, but let's not get lost in self-congratulatory rhetoric about how superior our system is to the rest of Europe.
    Patrick said:

An obvious example for someone with your economic views is the NHS. Something that is clearly not 'the envy of the world', and yet public debate is almost completely devoid of rational discussion about options.
    This is an example of political deadlock NOT legal. The reason we can't modernise the NHS is that one party, the party that created it in a different age, and the party which is captured by producer interests, has turned the NHS into a religion.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,955
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

I quite liked some of what Corbyn said yesterday. I have no problem with him getting angry. There is a lot to be angry about.

Except his anger always seems to be directed at journos....

Can't wait for a general election campaign. The best day would make Brown's worst look fabulous...

Corbyn has spent 40 years living in a bubble in which everyone he interacts with agrees with him. He cannot cope with anyone actually asking him questions he does not like. But everyone knows this. There is no point going over it again and again. No sentient person believes that Corbyn is anything other than entirely incapable of leadership and that under him Labour will suffer a catastrophic defeat in 2020. The only issue is whether enough Labour members care.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

The use of the word 'stupid' was a little, err, stupid, but that's his opinion and his prerogative. The rest of the text was positive about the need for a good agreement and for the rest of the EU to carry on with their project - not my view but quite legitimate.

The tone was a lot more collegiate though, no more talking about punishment and payments. Progress of sorts?
    Yes, I thought the tone overall quite grown up - which is a welcome change from some of his previous pronouncements.....
  • Options
    timmo said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Ken Livingstone latest:

Does he really want every Jewish member of the Labour party to leave? That's what it seems like
    Deary me no. Ken simply wants Jewish Labour party members to be resettled.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    timmo said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Ken Livingstone latest:

Another question to which the answer is Yes.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Enemy of my enemy is my friend.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Sean_F said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

Patrick said:

This is an example of political deadlock NOT legal. The reason we can't modernise the NHS is that one party, the party that created it in a different age, and the party which is captured by producer interests, has turned the NHS into a religion.
    Agree completely, which is why the solution to NHS reform is going to need to be on the supply side first. Start by reversing benefit-in-kind private insurance into a tax-deductible expense by individuals and corporations, as an example.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,972
    edited April 2017
    HYUFD said:

Betting post:
    The only French all-candidate debate is over and worth paying attention to. Melanchon won on performance and virtually tied on programme. Le Pen was 4th. The odds look wildly out of line: Debate report here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/05/french-presidential-debate-macron-le-pen
    Polls here:

DYOR, but if I had the cash I'd bet Macron down to 1.5 and put another £10 on Melanchon as a trading bet - I think he should go down to 20 or so when a poll shows him ovrtaking Fillon. Fillon's odds are puzzlingly good and possibly there's Russian money there - if so, you may as well take their unwise dosh. Hamon could be laid but the silly lay price of 360 makes it unappealing - actually worse than Asselineau, whose poll rating is zero point 5 per cent.

If a poll comes out showing Melenchon tied or even ahead of Fillon that may be the time to bet on Fillon given his supporters are mainly pensioners and more likely to vote and centre right parties have consistently outperformed the polls in recent elections
    (*) Under French rules

Trump lost to Hillary(*), and Rutte had the benefit of incumbency whilst also being clean with regards to corruption and the like. Brexit was at heart an idea and so couldn't suffer the normal human foibles. Bibi had the centre-right and the right pretty much to himself in Israel (+ incumbency) !
    The centre (Macron) and right (Le Pen) are normally nowhere near as strong as they are in France right now - I agree that the centre-right normally outperforms, but there are good reasons why Fillon probably won't make it to the 2nd round.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Sandpit said:

Patrick said:

Sean_F said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

Patrick said:

Agree completely, which is why the solution to NHS reform is going to need to be on the supply side first. Start by reversing benefit-in-kind private insurance into a tax-deductible expense by individuals and corporations, as an example.
    "Taking money out of the NHS"
    'Tax cuts for their rich friends to get private health care while they allow the NHS to die"

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,955
    Patrick said:

Sean_F said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

Patrick said:

The party in question is utterly irrelevant and has no ability to shape any political debate. The Tories can reform away. If they don't it's their weakness or fear that is preventing it.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Eurocrat ignoring result of referendum shock..
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Except his anger always seems to be directed at journos....

Can't wait for a general election campaign. The best day would make Brown's worst look fabulous...

Corbyn has spent 40 years living in a bubble in which everyone he interacts with agrees with him. He cannot cope with anyone actually asking him questions he does not like. But everyone knows this. There is no point going over it again and again. No sentient person believes that Corbyn is anything other than entirely incapable of leadership and that under him Labour will suffer a catastrophic defeat in 2020. The only issue is whether enough Labour members care.

That's not the only question. After Wes Streeting's comments, he must be dangerously (for Labour) close to resigning the whip or taking even more drastic action. Given that Ilford North was a Labour gain in 2015, if only by 589 votes, a by-election there would be unwelcome for Corbyn.

The inference in 'whether enough Labour members care' is as to whether Corbyn would win another election but if he wouldn't - or if he were persuaded to go - there is still the huge question as to who would replace him. NickP was arguing, absurdly given the experience of the last 18 months, that the left still had a moral right to be on the ballot. If Lab MPs are stupid or desperate enough to make that deal (or if the McDonnell amendment passes, though that's less likely), there's no guarantee that the next left candidate will be any better than the last one, though there is a very good chance that in such circumstances she (my guess is that it would be a 'she') would win, for the same reasons Corbyn did in 2015 and 2016.

I wrote a piece about what Lab moderates need to do here:

http://totalpolitics.com/articles/opinion/david-herdson-labour-moderates-should-consider-second-leadership-challenge
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Gibraltar is an absolute gift for the SNP in diplomatic terms with Spain.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Patrick said:

I've just had a good read of the Wiki entry for Common Law. It seems Scotland has a modified Civil Law system and not a true Common Law system as per England and the entire base of former colonies - of this I was not aware. Explains alot.

I don't think the countries elsewhere in Europe all have as Napeolonic a system as say France or the Low Countries or the countries further south.

Denmark seems to have features in common with our system. I'm told that precedents can be set and later judges must follow those.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Denmark

This could explain the Danish legal opt-out after a 2015 referendum.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    HYUFD said:

Betting post:
    Polls here:

The likelihood to vote gap between young and old is not so great In France as it is in the UK. Pensioners ARE more likely to vote in this election, but not by the margin one might expect in a UK GE for instance.

I don't see any evidence in the 2012 Presidential Election which suggests that the centre right significantly out-performed the polls. Marine Le Pen certainly got a per cent or two more than any poll had given her in the month before the election, but the result for Sarkozy from the centre right Party was pretty much in line with polls in the preceding weeks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election,_2012
  • Options
    The problem with Corbyn isn't that he's crap, it's that he's thick as pigshit.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @David_Herdson Wes should think carefully about how he may go about best securing a second stint in Ilford North. Running as an independent might well be better than using the Labour badge, although the Tory score will probably be too high whatever he does.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Gibraltar is an absolute gift for the SNP in diplomatic terms with Spain.

it's another dead cat for the dead cat party. Scotland will tire of dead cats - they tired of the Labour ones quite suddenly.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    Morning comrades,

Ken still making a fool of himself over Hitler/Jews, Corbyn making a fool of himself over Ken, Labout making a fool of itself over everything, Farage being rude to people in Europe.

Everything's changed but nothing's changed...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

It gives me great joy that you were one of the Yoons touching yourself inappropriately at every anti Scottish indy pronouncement by Spanish pols (and from anyone else who could be co-opted into Project Fear).
  • Options
    France

+18 Melenchon
    +17 Macron
    -23 Le Pen/Fillon.

Melenchon and Macron both value I think.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

The problem with Corbyn isn't that he's crap, it's that he's thick as pigshit.

The two aren't mutually exclusive!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    notme said:

Sandpit said:

Patrick said:

Sean_F said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

Patrick said:

'Tax cuts for their rich friends to get private health care while they allow the NHS to die"
    Sure that will the opposition view, but the measure itself has nothing to do with the NHS or it's funding, no money taken out of the NHS at all. It's a simple taxation change presented in the Budget with a bunch of other taxation changes - which the government won't oppose and the Lords can't turn over.

It's also completely impractical to undo once implemented, would cause an overnight NHS Crisis like no NHS Crisis that's ever been seen before. Same as if private schools were banned today.

It would be the first line item on my budget if I were to become Chancellor.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

It gives me great joy that you were one of the Yoons touching yourself inappropriately at every anti Scottish indy pronouncement by Spanish pols (and from anyone else who could be co-opted into Project Fear).
    The common bond between Spain and the Nationalists in Scotland is that they want to ignore the results of THREE democratic referendums - Gib to stay in the Uk, Scotland to stay in the Uk and the Uk to stay in the EU.

3-0 was the score.

You and your fellow Nationalists may wish to exercise caution in cosying up to a Spanish government that can be a bit fickle...
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited April 2017
    I remember Labour's Shadow Cabinet struggled to get heard under Miliband as well. As a Shadow Minister you need to be clever and inventive to get yourself noticed, just releasing press statements isn't enough.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    TOPPING said:

Chris Deerin: England has gone mad

https://capx.co/england-has-gone-mad/

Good piece. Daniel Hannan has one worth reading as well

https://capx.co/brexit-is-happening-so-lets-all-cheer-up-about-it/
    Can I be the first PB iconoclast to say that I don't rate Hannan too highly (he is of course competent and articulate) and that article does nothing to make me revise my opinion.

What is he saying?
    The clue is in the title....
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

You and your fellow Nationalists may wish to exercise caution in cosying up to a Spanish government that can be a bit fickle...

Chortle, as you Britnats are discovering.
  • Options
    Artist said:

I remember Labour's Shadow Cabinet struggled to get heard under Miliband as well. As a Shadow Minister you need to be clever and inventive to get yourself noticed, just releasing press statements isn't enough.

It'd help if when asked for comment by the media they gave a comment rather than waiting 12 hours by which time the media has already moved on having published a reply by the Lib Dems instead.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    I' m sure PBers have heard this before. But anyway ....

My enemy's enemy is my friend. Unfortunately my enemy is his own worst enemy. So I have to invite him to barbecues.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

notme said:

Sandpit said:

Patrick said:

Sean_F said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

Patrick said:

Sure that will the opposition view, but the measure itself has nothing to do with the NHS or it's funding, no money taken out of the NHS at all. It's a simple taxation change presented in the Budget with a bunch of other taxation changes - which the government won't oppose and the Lords can't turn over.

It's also completely impractical to undo once implemented, would cause an overnight NHS Crisis like no NHS Crisis that's ever been seen before. Same as if private schools were banned today.

Australia did it in the 90s with great success to help reduce the pressures in their systems.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Chortle, as you Britnats are discovering.
    Nationalists laugh at their own "jokes" : meanwhile Nicola is on a taxpayer jolly and breaking news :

Douglas Fraser‏Verified account @BBCDouglasF 13m13 minutes ago

Output from Scots economy (GDP) contracted Oct-Dec 2016 by 0.2% (UK +0.7%)
    During last year, growth of only 0.4% (UK 1.8%)
    via @scotgov
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Marek Zemanik‏ @marek_zemanik 4m4 minutes ago
    More
    Here's the key table from the National Statistics this morning. Gap with UK opening at the end of 2014.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Sandpit said:

notme said:

Sandpit said:

Patrick said:

Sean_F said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

Australia did it in the 90s with great success to help reduce the pressures in their systems.
    I didnt know that, but glad to see that my amateur political brain picked on something that once worked somewhere in the real world!

I've lived in enough different places and seen enough different systems to know that there's a reason no other major developed country has an NHS that's worshipped as if it were religion. The closest to an NHS is probably Canada and the worst system, by a country mile, is the USA.
  • Options
    Reading reports from EU Parliament debate it actually seems that Barnier and Verhofstadt are reasonably sensible but if we do get a deal it may be when it comes before the EU Parliament that we might struggle as many of them seem to be pretty irrational lol!
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    edited April 2017
    Conclusion of that Hannan CAPX article:

If ever you find yourself confusing social media with public opinion, look at what Edmund Burke had to say about Twitter back in 1791:

Because half-a-dozen grasshoppers under a fern make the field ring with their importunate chink, whilst thousands of great cattle, reposed beneath the shadow of the British oak, chew the cud and are silent, pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    TGOHF said:

More
    Here's the key table from the National Statistics this morning. Gap with UK opening at the end of 2014.

The wages of neverendum.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

More

It's probably because the wicked Tories are keeping them impoverished...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Reading reports from EU Parliament debate it actually seems that Barnier and Verhofstadt are reasonably sensible but if we do get a deal it may be when it comes before the EU Parliament that we might struggle as many of them seem to be pretty irrational lol!

Tusk and Verhofstadt seem like reaasonable men, Junker is an old lush and I have no idea who the other EU president is.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

More

The wages of neverendum.
    Yeah but the Spanish are our pals now #winning...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2017

The party in question is utterly irrelevant and has no ability to shape any political debate. The Tories can reform away. If they don't it's their weakness or fear that is preventing it.

You are right SO. But the Tories have to act in the context of public opinion and other competing priorities (Brexit etc). Public opinion is still, mistakenly, very much of the view that the NHS is perfect and the only thing it needs is money. In realtity the NHS is systemically incapable of delivering efficiently. We can and should emulate the best aspects of foreign systems that are better. I hate to say it, but both the French and German systems are better organised structurally. (And, yes, they are better funded). We need to break the NHS monopoly and create a competitive market for health provision whilst absolutely retaining the principle of funded at source from general taxation. The NHS as payer not deliverer.
    The first act in getting towards genuine reform of our overall health system is to prepare public opinion for such reform. Otherwise the party that tries it will simply expend all its political capital banging its head against a wall. To get a better system we need to find a way to expose the systemic weaknesses of the NHS but yet to explain that those weaknesses are not the mere problem of underfunding. Hence Tories are forever trying to reform (but IMHO spend far too little time telling how the SYSTEM is crap). And why lefties spend all their time saying the SYSTEM is fine and it's those terrible Tories who just need to open the funding taps.
    In any event we're getting older and we're going to need both serious reform and higher levels of funding. I'd kill DfiD and privatise NHS delivery. Does that make me evil or sensible?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

More

The wages of neverendum.
    The Nats are even more incompetent than SLAB It's pitiful.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

.. snip ..

In any event we're getting older and we're going to need both serious reform and higher levels of funding. I'd kill DfiD and privatise NHS delivery. Does that make me evil or sensible?

not or, but and
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

More

The wages of neverendum.
    A pair of Britnats touching each other inappropriately!
    I hope you can find comfort in each other during this sad time for UKOK-Spain relations.

• Options
    geoffw said:

Patrick said:

.. snip ..

not or, but and
    I can live with evil AND sensible! ;-)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724
    Patrick said:

You are right SO. But the Tories have to act in the context of public opinion and other competing priorities (Brexit etc). Public opinion is still, mistakenly, very much of the view that the NHS is perfect and the only thing it needs is money. In realtity the NHS is systemically incapable of delivering efficiently. We can and should emulate the best aspects of foreign systems that are better. I hate to say it, but both the French and German systems are better organised structurally. (And, yes, they are better funded). We need to break the NHS monopoly and create a competitive market for health provision whilst absolutely retaining the principle of funded at source from general taxation. The NHS as payer not deliverer.
    The first act in getting towards genuine reform of our overall health system is to prepare public opinion for such reform. Otherwise the party that tries it will simply expend all its political capital banging its head against a wall. To get a better system we need to find a way to expose the systemic weaknesses of the NHS but yet to explain that those weaknesses are not the mere problem of underfunding. Hence Tories are forever trying to reform (but IMHO spend far too little time telling how the SYSTEM is crap). And why lefties spend all their time saying the SYSTEM is fine and it's those terrible Tories who just need to open the funding taps.

"Does that make me evil or sensible?"
    Do we only have two choices ;-) ?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    TGOHF said:

More

The difference would look (slightly) more pronounced if Scotland was stripped out of the UK figure.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,000
    Mr. W, that's a rather nice line.

Or, to fit it into a tweet: Empty vessels make the most noise.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:

More

The difference would look (slightly) more pronounced if Scotland was stripped out of the UK figure.
    Presumably it shows the effect of the declining oil price?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:

More

Not really - Scotland's ±8% UK GDP......
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

More

The wages of neverendum.
    I hope you can find comfort in each other during this sad time for UKOK-Spain relations.

More depressed about the Nationalist government driving the Scottish economy down to be honest.

• Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, aren't there five presidents?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    PM in "admission of blindingly obvious" shock

" Ms May said she expected the shape of a new trade relationship to be clear to everybody by Brexit Day in March 2019, but appeared to accept that the formal conclusion of the agreement will have to wait until after withdrawal."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-defeat-brexit-policy-trade-deal-european-union-brexit-article-50-a7666986.html
  • Options

tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:

More

Think it shows the effect of

referendum uncertainty
    declining education standards
    pernicious hammering of high value houses wrt stamp duty
    increased PAYE on high earners
    hammering rural businesses with new driving alcohol limits not based on evidence
    zero business friendly policies
    etc
    etc
    etc

• Options

tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:

More

I'd imagine the loss of c.100k oil related jobs in 2 years has something to do with it, the equivalent of the UK losing 1m+ jobs.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Tusk and Verhofstadt seem like reaasonable men, Junker is an old lush and I have no idea who the other EU president is.
    You missed THREE Presidents:

Antonio Tajani, of the Parliament (Replaced Shultz)
    Koen Lenaerts, of the ECJ
    Joseph Muscat, of the Council of Ministers (currently run by Malta on a rotating basis).

Verhofstat is merely the Chief Negotiator appointed by the Parliament to the "Brexit" project.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidents_of_the_institutions_of_the_European_Union
  • Options

tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:

More

Mathematically the 92% rUK ex Scotland would be at 108.3 instead of 108.0 - small but noticeable.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

Yorkcity said:

Nigel Farage in a speech to EU parliament calls them the Mafia.Italian PM complains changes it to gangsters.

ORDER

That quotation is, of course, fictitious; Skinner never said any such thing. Similar quotes have been attributed to various different politicians in various countries for many decades.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,979
    Sadiq Khans pledge page on his website... did he promise £350m a week for the NHS?

"Some of the information on this page may be out of date and does not reflect campaign pledges or Mayoral policy.”

https://order-order.com/2017/04/04/khans-website-says-election-promises-now-out-of-date/
  • Options

tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:

More

I'd imagine the loss of c.100k oil related jobs in 2 years has something to do with it, the equivalent of the UK losing 1m+ jobs.
    Luckily a raft of policies to balance the Scottish economy and make it attractive to wealth creators has been rushed through by Holyrood - only a total numpty would raise taxes on high value homes and jobs and create a differential with an open border neighbour...

• Options

Mr. Pulpstar, aren't there five presidents?

five presidents, four freedoms, three pillars, two speeds, one country.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    Just listening to David Milliband on Radio4. Makes you want to cry. He's everything Corbyn isn't. Talented articulate sincere and above all sounds like he cares.

Ed should take himself out and shoot himself.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Just listening to David Milliband on Radio4. Makes you want to cry. He's everything Corbyn isn't. Talented articulate sincere and above all sounds like he cares.

Don't blame Ed - he only had one vote. Actually he may have had a couple but anyway - blame the voters - they've allowed Brown, Ed , Jezza and Jezza to be the last 4 leaders - each useless.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,291
    Roger said:

Indeed. What a calamity has befallen Labour. At root the unions must take a massive share of the blame. They 'engineered' a result for Ed.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:

More

Luckily the majority of Scots didn't buy the lies and fantasies spread by your absurd party in Indyref1.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    JohnLoony said:

Yorkcity said:

ORDER

That quotation is, of course, fictitious; Skinner never said any such thing. Similar quotes have been attributed to various different politicians in various countries for many decades.

I've always been suspicious of:

Roy Jenkins: I leave this party without rancour.
    Skinner: I thought you were taking Marquand with you.

Skinner's biting retort, Jenkins' speech defect - all seems a bit to good to be true.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    GIN1138 said:

My thinking was that by the time it gets to the Parliament, it will be presented as a fait accompli - it will be so late (midnight sitting?) that no renegotiation by the other actors is reasonably possible, with the alternative being the "crash out" to WTO terms with immediate and ending of any payments whatsoever, overnight.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    True enough. Livingstone might as well be saying "go on, I dare you, expel me" as he knows they daren't. More to the point, so does everyone else.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

More

The wages of neverendum.

More depressed about the Nationalist government driving the Scottish economy down to be honest.

An interesting question, which is more delicious, the tears of liberal snowflakes or the crocodile variety from Yoon migrants?
    Certainly less substance and nutritional value in the latter.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

My thinking was that by the time it gets to the Parliament, it will be presented as a fait accompli - it will be so late that no renegotiation by the other actors is reasonably possible, with the alternative being the "crash out" to WTO terms with immediate and ending of any payments whatsoever, overnight.
    Hopefully. But I think there are some in the European Parliament that will want to veto any agreement and force a "crash out" just because they can...
  • Options
    Tom Watson weighs in ....

The failure to expel Ken Livingstone from the party over remarks regarding Adolf Hitler and Zionism "shames us all".
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,503
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

I think Verhofstadht is an ideologue.

I think Tusk is the sort of man UK Conservatives would get on fairly well with in any other role.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Roger said:

Which of the Tory attacks on Ed Miliband would not have been targeted at David? Looks a bit wierd; talks in wonkish jargon; father joined the navy to ... well, let's not go there today of all days. The only difference would be to swap a banana for a bacon sandwich.
  • Options
    This will surely bring Jezza down.... or maybe not.

‘It is a disgrace that life expectancy projections for those aged 45 and 65 have fallen and even more of a disgrace that the government is trying to cover it up.’

In reply, Steve Groves, previously chief executive of later life specialist annuity provider Partnership and current chair of Retirement Bridge, tweeted: ‘You need a lesson in the basics of mortality improvements and life expectancies, your interpretation is wrong. Life expectancy is improving.’

As someone who has to face constant questions over his own life expectancy, as Labour leader, Corbyn will surely be feeling red faced at this mix up.

http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/news/labour-leader-muddles-mortality-with-falling-life-expectancy-claim/a1006323?re=45822&ea=199352&utm_source=BulkEmail_NMA_Daily_EAM&utm_medium=BulkEmail_NMA_Daily_EAM&utm_campaign=BulkEmail_NMA_Daily_EAM
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

My thinking was that by the time it gets to the Parliament, it will be presented as a fait accompli - it will be so late (midnight sitting?) that no renegotiation by the other actors is reasonably possible, with the alternative being the "crash out" to WTO terms with immediate and ending of any payments whatsoever, overnight.
    The EU parliament are the least likely to be concerned by that though - the Council / Commission etc are the face of the EU and will want to take the more sensible approach or risk backlash against them (because obviously a no deal still negatively affects the EU, even if it is worse for us). The MEPs are unlikely to suffer any direct negative backlash from their EU constituents, so they can much more easily vote it down.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Roger said:

Which of the Tory attacks on Ed Miliband would not have been targeted at David? Looks a bit wierd; talks in wonkish jargon; father joined the navy to ... well, let's not go there today of all days. The only difference would be to swap a banana for a bacon sandwich.
    Absolutely: the campaign line was "Ed speaks human" for a reason. David Miliband was a worse candidate and a worse politician (he only needed to treat a few more of his fellow MPs with a bit more respect to win). Though I concede he might have made a better leader.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Roger said:

Indeed - i don't know that David would have done much better. Maybe.
    I do think that having lost... Even narrowly... He should have stuck around to help out Ed and Labour.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Roger said:

Indeed. What a calamity has befallen Labour. At root the unions must take a massive share of the blame. They 'engineered' a result for Ed.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/sep/24/ed-miliband-union-gmb-labour-leadership
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited April 2017

JohnLoony said:

Yorkcity said:

ORDER

I've always been suspicious of:

Roy Jenkins: I leave this party without rancour.
    Skinner: I thought you were taking Marquand with you.

Skinner's biting retort, Jenkins' speech defect - all seems a bit to good to be true.
    Allegedly, during his stint as Head of the Commission in the 70's, the Eurocrats in Brussels took to calling the somewhat grand acting Roy from Pontypool "le roi Jean XV/(Quinze)". Which puns beautifully in French.
  • Options
    Mr. Price, quite. David Miliband's hubris was his undoing.

I read a line somewhere about aspiring to always be civil. It's kinder to your friends, and annoys your enemies.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    To correct Mark Pack, the Labour Opposition did lose seats at the Local Elections of 1959 - 1960 - and 1961 - and still managed to win the 1964 election!
This discussion has been closed.