Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: November 24th 2016

2»

Comments

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2016
    I've just done some creative googling to try to figure out how the bookies did on Trump.

PP are loudly crying about making a huge loss, but I think William hill lost more. From what I can tell, PP took ~£5m and lost £500k after taking into account their early payout. WH had similar takings, but a larger loss. SPIN made somewhere between six and seven figures. respect to @Jungleland

Silence from ladbrokes. Which - I assume - means they made a packet. If so, well done @shadsy !

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,954

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm a big Mars buff, but Mars terraforming is genuinely "difficult".

Hugely. What's the air pressure at the surface: 1-5millibars? How much is it on Earth? 1000millibars. How many cubic kilometers of air do we need to transport to Mars? Lots. What's the most oxygen we've transported outside low earth orbit? Six Lunar Lander upper stages, very approx 100 cubic metres of air. How much did that cost? About 100 billion dollars in today's money (or about one Brexit in pre-devaluation pounds). So that's about a billion dollars per cubic meter, assuming same cost to Mars as t'moon.

The surface of Mars is about 150million square kilometers, that's 150 trillion square metres, and we need to fill it about 100km deep, that's 100,000 metres deep, so that's 15,000,000 trillion cubic metres of air to Mars . At a billion dollars per cubic metre.

Shit, I'll have to switch to exponential here.

15*10^18 cubic metres at 1*10^9 dollars per cubic metre, gives us

15*10^27dollars to make Mars air breathable, or

(deep breath)

15,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 dollars.

Pause.

Fuck it, let's build a Death Star... :)
    It would be easier to modify humans than Mars:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Plus
    I read it when I was younger Gave me nightmares. He loses everything that makes him human
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Pulpstar said:

On todays technology - impossible.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited November 2016
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Dixie said:

Life is beyond money. And £58 billion is probably wrong and a pin prick if right. We're always overdrawn!

£58 billion quid is enough money to build

a) approx six missile nuclear submarines[1], or
    b) approx eighty state-of-the-art NHS hospitals[2]

It is most certainly not a pinprick

[1] https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/successor-submarine-programme-factsheet/successor-submarine-programme-factsheet
    [2] https://fullfact.org/europe/did-eu-misspend-enough-money-build-10-new-hospitals/

..or approx twenty Queen-Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers[3]

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth-class_aircraft_carrier
    More importantly £58bn would give us a free bar for a number of PB drinks so's. Incidentally, when is the next one planned?
    Unknown. Sorry, one of my bugbears is how people *really* find it difficult to handle large numbers, and in the public sphere it's a genuine problem. Andrew Lilico, who is in theory well educated, once wrote an article saying that the cost of the climate change program was the same as terraforming Mars. The enormous lack of sense that that article betrayed (spoiler alert: it's way, way out) was one of my first eyeopeners as to how the metropolitan elite should never under any circumstances be let near numbers greater than seven.
    Actually, Mr. Code, as I remember from my maths days, very few people can imagine numbers greater than seven. The human brain just doesn't seem wired to cope with the idea. For example, ask someone to read out a six digit telephone number and they will almost invariably read it out in two groups of three numbers. A seven digit number is almost invariably given as two groups of three plus the final digit or two groups of two plus a group of three.

The maximum number of concurrent ideas the majority of people can simultaneously cope with seems to be 5 plus or minus two. The pattern is seen in all walks of life. In the military, for example, the command span (i.e. the number of subordinates a commander is directly in charge of) seldom exceeds five and three is the norm.

Once politicians and so forth start talking about billions the vast majority don't have a clue of the scale of the amount being discussed. We have seen it on here this evening 58.7 billion is a very big number. £58.7 billion is an awful lot of money, but over five years in an economy that turns over £2trillion pounds a year and with public spending running at £700bn a year, it is a fecking rounding error.

I do love that 0.7 at the end too. As if anyone in The Treasury or the OBR is capable of forecasting to that degree of accuracy fives years out.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 908
    slade said:

This is Local London have reported a claim from the Lib Dems that it is 50% Zac and 42% Sarah Olney with a week to go.

That would look very good as a bar chart - I think I have one in drawer here somewhere that would do....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,990
    Pong said:

I've just done some creative googling to try to figure out how the bookies did on Trump.

PP are loudly crying about making a huge loss, but I think William hill lost more. From what I can tell, PP took ~£5m and lost £500k after taking into account their early payout. WH had similar takings, but a larger loss. SPIN made something between six and seven figures.

Silence from ladbrokes. Which - I assume - means they made a packet. If so, well done @shadsy !

Spreadex were arbing/ High value SPIN's price for a while, so I'm guessing they might have made a loss.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

Hugely. What's the air pressure at the surface: 1-5millibars? How much is it on Earth? 1000millibars. How many cubic kilometers of air do we need to transport to Mars? Lots. What's the most oxygen we've transported outside low earth orbit? Six Lunar Lander upper stages, very approx 100 cubic metres of air. How much did that cost? About 100 billion dollars in today's money (or about one Brexit in pre-devaluation pounds). So that's about a billion dollars per cubic meter, assuming same cost to Mars as t'moon.

The surface of Mars is about 150million square kilometers, that's 150 trillion square metres, and we need to fill it about 100km deep, that's 100,000 metres deep, so that's 15,000,000 trillion cubic metres of air to Mars . At a billion dollars per cubic metre.

(deep breath)

Pause.

I read it when I was younger Gave me nightmares. He loses everything that makes him human
    Another Frederik Pohl well worth reading is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_(novel)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

PP are loudly crying about making a huge loss, but I think William hill lost more. From what I can tell, PP took ~£5m and lost £500k after taking into account their early payout. WH had similar takings, but a larger loss. SPIN made something between six and seven figures.

Spreadex were arbing/ High value SPIN's price for a while, so I'm guessing they might have made a loss.
    As far as I am aware SPIN were the only winners out there. bet365 declared losses of around £4m.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    Completely off topic but I have just been to see Arrival at my local Odeon. The most cerebral of the contact genre with a great performance from Amy Adams. I was intrigued by the concept of double sided orthography - the ability to write a sentence from both ends simultaneously because you know what goes in the middle.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,896
    Just starting Question Time.

Endless hand-wringing and wailing from REAINERS again...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    @viewcode

Terraforming is an interesting one. Transporting oxygen or air is a non starter, and creating the molton core nessecary to hold an atmosphere are both a bit challenging.

The only viable way to produce an atmosphere on another planet is to extract it from minerals on Mars, hence the importance of testing soil samples suitable for producing oxygen and water. Probably this would need to be via genetically modified bacteria.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

As far as I am aware SPIN were the only winners out there. bet365 declared losses of around £4m.
    Jeez.
  • Options

I do love that 0.7 at the end too. As if anyone in The Treasury or the OBR is capable of forecasting to that degree of accuracy fives years out.

Yes, you are correct. The ".7" made me giggle. Although when you consider the ".7" represents £700,000,000, it puts it into perspective... :(

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Not really , Conservatives won the ward fairly easily in May .
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

(deep breath)

Pause.

Another Frederik Pohl well worth reading is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_(novel)
    Yup, done that one as well. I went thru the SF Masterworks in the late 90's. Ah, those were the days...
  • Options

Cons doing OK Lib dems well. Labour torrid
  • Options
  • Options
    MikeK said:
    Daily mail says 2 dead now.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2016
    Episode 2 of TGT - oh dear. It's not very good.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Dixie said:

Life is beyond money. And £58 billion is probably wrong and a pin prick if right. We're always overdrawn!

£58 billion quid is enough money to build

a) approx six missile nuclear submarines[1], or
    b) approx eighty state-of-the-art NHS hospitals[2]

It is most certainly not a pinprick

[1] https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/successor-submarine-programme-factsheet/successor-submarine-programme-factsheet
    [2] https://fullfact.org/europe/did-eu-misspend-enough-money-build-10-new-hospitals/

..or approx twenty Queen-Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers[3]

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth-class_aircraft_carrier
    More importantly £58bn would give us a free bar for a number of PB drinks so's. Incidentally, when is the next one planned?
    £58.7 billion is an awful lot of money, but over five years in an economy that turns over £2trillion pounds a year and with public spending running at £700bn a year, it is a fecking rounding error.
    Do keep up.....by the end of the 5 years it will be over £800 billion......as you write, in government terms a 20p you found down the back of the sofa.....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2016
    Bbc and sky reporting incident in france is being described as criminal, no indication of it being terrorism.
  • Options
    Israels wild fires get some help from Eastern Europe and Russia.
    https://twitter.com/Russia/status/801906635660820480
  • Options
    Is it me, or is Andrew Neil's hair transplant looking sort-of-good these days? (see also: Rob Brydon)
  • Options

Bbc and sky reporting incident in france is being described as criminal, no indication of it being terrorism.

They always say that when an incident like this happens, only to eat their words later, and only when they feel like it.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

They always say that when an incident like this happens, only to eat their words later, and only when they feel like it.
    When the person is revealed to be locally known as Pierre...
  • Options

That looks exactly like a battle plan which won't survive contact with the enemy. The EU really can't seriously expect to go into negotiations saying 'we need to agree X and Y completely before we'll discuss Z'. As any fule 'no, nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. So Theresa May simply has to respond that 'we are happy to discuss contributions to the EU budget, but obviously we can't finalise that until we have agreed a deal on trade. After all, we obviously might not want to contribute a single Euro, depending on how much access to the single market we have'.
    Just for the record, it's "As any fule kno"

Apart from that, I agree with you. Mind, I wish she would hurry up and get on with it.

• Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2016
    The reporting is crap as usual - not just because there is a lack of knowledge at this time, which is understandable, but because it's crap: police are not "hunting" a man whom they have under "siege" - but it's very likely to be terrorism. If the buildings weren't home to 70 monks it could have been a youngster who was keen on Game of Thrones. It's similar to the brutal murder of the octogenarian priest in Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray.

Was the reporting ongoing during today's Fillon-Juppé debate?
  • Options

@viewcode

Terraforming is an interesting one. Transporting oxygen or air is a non starter, and creating the molton core nessecary to hold an atmosphere are both a bit challenging.

The only viable way to produce an atmosphere on another planet is to extract it from minerals on Mars, hence the importance of testing soil samples suitable for producing oxygen and water. Probably this would need to be via genetically modified bacteria.

Agreed, but these are theoretical approaches, and there's a difference between theory and a realised technology that you can implement, schedule and cost. The steps necessary to convert the one to the other are always difficult.
  • Options

MikeK said:

When the person is revealed to be locally known as Pierre...
    Alright, Dave?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

lets wait and see
  • Options

I woud listen more if your default position wasn't "hate the tories"
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,005
    edited November 2016
    slade said:

Completely off topic but I have just been to see Arrival at my local Odeon. The most cerebral of the contact genre with a great performance from Amy Adams. I was intrigued by the concept of double sided orthography - the ability to write a sentence from both ends simultaneously because you know what goes in the middle.

I've just seen it too and though ........................................................ and Amy Adams was excellent.

No - it doesn't work for me.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,566
    viewcode said:

@viewcode

Agreed, but these are theoretical approaches, and there's a difference between theory and a realised technology that you can implement, schedule and cost. The steps necessary to convert the one to the other are always difficult.
    It would have been interesting to see what Comet Siding Spring would have done in terms of terraforming Mars, if it had hit.

Changes to the atmosphere would take thousands of years to dissipate, incidentally. Without a magnetosphere etc, *eventually* it would return to status quo... but rather slowly.
  • Options

It seems Amazon have a funny definition of Friday...The Grand Tour Episode 2 is already available.

It's like they think we're on European time!
    Episode 1 was a lot better than I expected - Watched it on I pad in lunch break with big cheesy grin on my face
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Changes since May 2016
    Con 1267 (51.1%; +5.7)
    Lab 1156 (46.6%; +6.7)
    LD 57 (2.3%; -3.7)

• Options
    @Tissue_Price, @Pulpstar

* SPIN made "between six and seven figures"
    * PP took ~£5m and lost £500k after taking into account their early payout.
    * WH had similar takings, but a larger loss.is
    * Ladbrokes presumably made a profit
    * bet365 declared losses of around £4m.
    * Spreadex might have made a loss.

I already have a source for SPIN's profit. Do we have sources for the others?
  • Options
    slade said:

Pssht. Germans effectively do that as a matter of course. From an English point of view.
  • Options

viewcode said:

@viewcode

It would have been interesting to see what Comet Siding Spring would have done in terms of terraforming Mars, if it had hit.

Changes to the atmosphere would take thousands of years to dissipate, incidentally. Without a magnetosphere etc, *eventually* it would return to status quo... but rather slowly.
    Given that it is only a few hundred metres in diameter, comet Siding Spring would surely have had very little long-term impact on Mars' climate. Its mass is just too small. A short-term nuclear winter type effect, sure, but nothing remotely like terraforming.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

@Tissue_Price, @Pulpstar

* SPIN made "between six and seven figures"
    * PP took ~£5m and lost £500k after taking into account their early payout.
    * WH had similar takings, but a larger loss.is
    * Ladbrokes presumably made a profit
    * bet365 declared losses of around £4m.
    * Spreadex might have made a loss.

I already have a source for SPIN's profit. Do we have sources for the others?

I'm not sure why you imagine Spreadex made a loss, having regard to its nearest competitor's (i.e. Sporting's) "six - seven figure profit" Actually Spreadex should have fared even better by sticking to its greedy 15 ECV spread, although in truth this probably resulted (I hope) in it transacting very little business by comparison with Sporting, which was equally greedy until it saw sense. Goose, golden egg and all that.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Good morning, Black Friday shoppers.
  • Options

I have a Friday for sale, partly used. Unsure of the colour, mind.
  • Options

We all know that "Black Friday" is just one enormous American-imported marketing gimick.

That said, it's very brave of M&S, given its recent dire trading record, to totally ignore it, given that the concept has been embraced however reluctantly by the likes of Selfridges, House of Fraser, John Lewis, Next (sort of), etc, etc.

God help the big cheeses at M&S if they've called this wrong ..... this is their last big chance to shift potentially dodgy stock this side of Christmas. Heads could roll!
  • Options
    I'd recommend the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Knowing how many guns there are in Colombia, that is a brave move!

Be a bit like Cameron losing the Referendum, then signing up for the Euro instead of resigning!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited November 2016
    What is black about today? - it's day one of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix! P1 starts in two hours, and I just arrived and took my seat :D
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    nunu said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:
    Trump isn't obsessed with race? well it's a view I guess.
    He isn't. That much is clear.
    Agreed, Trump doesn't care about race. But as one of the most cynical politicians of recent times he is happy to play the race card for all it's worth, if it will benefit him.
    he is a racist.
    rubbish, he is an opportunist
  • Options

I's a 'Victory for Nicola'!

Spain would reject any attempt by Nicola Sturgeon for Scotland to stay in the EU single market if the rest of the UK comes out, one of the country’s most powerful MEPs warned last night.

Esteban Gonzalez Pons, who leads the Spanish delegation of MEPs in the European Parliament’s largest political grouping, told the Telegraph that Ms Sturgeon’s proposals for a special Scottish deal are “impossible.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/24/spanish-mep-leader-spain-would-oppose-nicola-sturgeon-single/

Did you forget the bit that mentions "whilst being part of the UK", as any fool except a dumb unionist fool would know is the point of it.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    "Anyone can rat.....it takes though a certain ingenuity to re-rat."
    Winston Churchill in 1923 on rejoining the Conservative Party having defected to the Liberals

Ukip's only MP Douglas Carswell has hinted that he may rejoin the Conservative party after defecting in 2014
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/25/ukips-mp-douglas-carswell-hints-could-return-conservatives/

Carswell = Churchill
    :lol:
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Charles said:

Carlisle Eastbourne and Pendle could all be significant* markets

* well as significant as parish council results get

Oh dear Charles - in failing to use the < joke > tags you're in danger of spending much of tomorrow explaining to the PB po faced that you do, actually, know what a local council does....

:)
    He meant not to use a funny face, if he could he would have Lords and Ladies making all the decisions for their peasants.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

@viewcode

"... and creating the molton core nessecary to hold an atmosphere "

The main mechanism by which atmosphere is lost (mainly lighter gasses first) is via the solar wind stripping off the gasses. That does not happen on Earth as much because our molten core creates a magnetic field (magnetosphere) that diverts most of the solar wind, and losses tend to be by other mechanisms that are partly offset by infall (think shooting stars).

So the idea is that any gasses would be lost. However they are lost over a geological timescale; whereas the terraforming will be much faster. Therefore we lose atmosphere much slower than we can replace it.

Also, terraforming isn't just about making an Earth-simulacrum; Mars' much lower gravity will not allow that anyway. What may be easier is terraforming to make it *easier* to live on the planet. Increasing atmospheric pressure would be a good start.

As an aside, even Mercury has a thin, tenuous atmosphere despite its lack of atmosphere and closeness to the Sun.

As a further aside, Venus shows that you do not need a molten core to have an atmosphere. Venus does not have a molten core, and it's atmosphere is rather thick. What it does have is an induced magnetosphere that prevents heavier gasses from being stripped off. Therefore the light gasses have gone, leaving a thick layer of dense carbon dioxide.

The really interesting question is why Venus does not have a molten core; the answer may be that Mars was originally part of Venus ...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Moses_ said:

Winston Churchill in 1923 on rejoining the Conservative Party having defected to the Liberals

Ukip's only MP Douglas Carswell has hinted that he may rejoin the Conservative party after defecting in 2014
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/25/ukips-mp-douglas-carswell-hints-could-return-conservatives/

Carswell = Churchill

It would end the Short money for UKIP too, at the time their Euro cash will be drying up and their Banks-roll having dried up.

I think UKIP have been and gone.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,699
    I prefer Blue Monday to Black Friday.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

(deep breath)

Pause.

Does that final figure include VAT /sales Tax and delivery?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I'll second that. Excellent series and one that you can go back to repeatedly.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
  • Options

@viewcode

"The only viable way to produce an atmosphere on another planet is to extract it from minerals on Mars"

Some proposals have asteroids and comets being captured and fired at Mars; as they burn up in Mars' atmosphere they will add gasses to the atmosphere, as well as warming it.

Incidentally, one of NASA's aims (which might change under Trump) is to capture part of an asteroid and bring it back towards the Moon so it can be studied.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/what-is-nasa-s-asteroid-redirect-mission/

Diverting asteroids and comets into Mars would be much cheaper and easier than other methods; if you plan it right you don't need much delta-V. It would also make a rather good weapons system ...
  • Options

@viewcode

The main mechanism by which atmosphere is lost (mainly lighter gasses first) is via the solar wind stripping off the gasses. That does not happen on Earth as much because our molten core creates a magnetic field (magnetosphere) that diverts most of the solar wind, and losses tend to be by other mechanisms that are partly offset by infall (think shooting stars).

So the idea is that any gasses would be lost. However they are lost over a geological timescale; whereas the terraforming will be much faster. Therefore we lose atmosphere much slower than we can replace it.

Also, terraforming isn't just about making an Earth-simulacrum; Mars' much lower gravity will not allow that anyway. What may be easier is terraforming to make it *easier* to live on the planet. Increasing atmospheric pressure would be a good start.

As an aside, even Mercury has a thin, tenuous atmosphere despite its lack of atmosphere and closeness to the Sun.

As a further aside, Venus shows that you do not need a molten core to have an atmosphere. Venus does not have a molten core, and it's atmosphere is rather thick. What it does have is an induced magnetosphere that prevents heavier gasses from being stripped off. Therefore the light gasses have gone, leaving a thick layer of dense carbon dioxide.

The really interesting question is why Venus does not have a molten core; the answer may be that Mars was originally part of Venus ...
    Titan may be a better spot for terraforming. It seems to hold an atmosphere well, has reasonable gravity and enough hydrocarbons to make the trip worthwhile. Bit chilly though...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Spain would reject any attempt by Nicola Sturgeon for Scotland to stay in the EU single market if the rest of the UK comes out, one of the country’s most powerful MEPs warned last night.

Esteban Gonzalez Pons, who leads the Spanish delegation of MEPs in the European Parliament’s largest political grouping, told the Telegraph that Ms Sturgeon’s proposals for a special Scottish deal are “impossible.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/24/spanish-mep-leader-spain-would-oppose-nicola-sturgeon-single/

dumb unionist fool would know is the point of it.
    I think the dumb fools are the ones arguing that 'the single market is critical to Scottish jobs' then arguing that the 'single market' that accounts for 17% of Scotland's trade is somehow more important than the one that accounts for 64% of Scotland's trade.....fortunately the Scottish people are not quite as gullible as the zoomers.....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Charles said:

Carlisle Eastbourne and Pendle could all be significant* markets

* well as significant as parish council results get

Oh dear Charles - in failing to use the < joke > tags you're in danger of spending much of tomorrow explaining to the PB po faced that you do, actually, know what a local council does....

:)
    He meant not to use a funny face, if he could he would have Lords and Ladies making all the decisions for their peasants.
    Not with the current crop of Lords, I wouldn't! Now if you meant those with pre-Lloyd George peerages...*

:wink:

Seriously though, Sovereignty descends from the people. In my view local government as it is currently set up is barely functional mess, but there is clearly a need for local democratic structures for local service delivery

* which would exclude my lot, FWIW
  • Options

malcolmg said:

I think the dumb fools are the ones arguing that 'the single market is critical to Scottish jobs' then arguing that the 'single market' that accounts for 17% of Scotland's trade is somehow more important than the one that accounts for 64% of Scotland's trade.....fortunately the Scottish people are not quite as gullible as the zoomers.....
    I think that 2016 has demonstrated to perfection that inconvenient facts are easily ignored by gullible voters!

Indeed there was a very interesting piece on Channel 4 news last night about how Macedonia became the centre of the fake news industry. Hundreds of teenage computer students were running fake news stories "Pope endorses Trump" "Hillary Clinton arrested for paedophilia" etc etc. The sort of alt.right stuff we got spammed with over the summer here.

They made their money from Pay Per Click advertising to gullible Trumpsters. As PT Barnum famously said " No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public"

A good piece on the Philipino President openly inciting lynch law and death squads to control drug traffickers too.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,783
    On topic, I think we're in the post UKIP era, which benefits the Conservatives. Labour doing badly and Lib Dems treading water.

I don't think Theresa May has anything to fear from a new election.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Cheers for this, Mr. Hayfield.

F1: P1 gets underway in about an hour, I think.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

I'll second that. Excellent series and one that you can go back to repeatedly.
    Thirded.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999
    Barnesian said:

slade said:

I've just seen it too and though ........................................................ and Amy Adams was excellent.

No - it doesn't work for me.
    It was ok. Well shot, acted, but the twist was obvious, the emotion not impacting, and as with most movies like it, not as clever as it thinks it is.
  • Options
    It's possible to make a credible case for it, but there is very little public or political appetite for it, and until the former there won't be the latter, and by then we're already out.
  • Options

@viewcode

Titan may be a better spot for terraforming. It seems to hold an atmosphere well, has reasonable gravity and enough hydrocarbons to make the trip worthwhile. Bit chilly though...
    Possibly, but not using current space tech, It takes too much energy to get there.

Some might find the following interesting (or not): there are various charts that show the delta-v (change in velocity) required to get around the solar system:

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/images/mission/deadfrog42.png
    https://i.imgur.com/AAGJvD1.png
  • Options
    FF43 said:

On topic, I think we're in the post UKIP era, which benefits the Conservatives. Labour doing badly and Lib Dems treading water.

I am not so sure. That was the consensus a few years ago, but now we know that most kipper voters were not Tory inclined even if most kipper activists were pissed off Eurosceptic Tories, along with their leaders.

If UKIP breaks up as a party the voters may well not follow the lead of the activists to rejoin the Toryright. Many may well return to other opposition parties inc Labour and LDs. Voters are often a bit awkward like that.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

FF43 said:

I am not so sure. That was the consensus a few years ago, but now we know that most kipper voters were not Tory inclined even if most kipper activists were pissed off Eurosceptic Tories, along with their leaders.

If UKIP breaks up as a party the voters may well not follow the lead of the activists to rejoin the Toryright. Many may well return to other opposition parties inc Labour and LDs. Voters are often a bit awkward like that.
    Not convinced they will rejoin any of the parties TBH. Suspect they won't vote if the mainstream parties don't address their needs.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

FF43 said:

Yup they'll clearly surge to the LDs and follow Farron back into the Euro and the EU - I thought it was Black friday not April Fool!
  • Options
    If Tony Blair and John Major want to do something useful re Brexit they should both take the peerages they are entitled to pronto. If the Supreme Court upholds the Crown Prerogative ruling we'll need their votes in the Lords. And the Lords would appreciate a bit of former prime ministerial star dust. I think Gordon is less suited to the Lords but it would add to the sense of drama and occassion if he went with them.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's possible to make a credible case for it, but there is very little public or political appetite for it, and until the former there won't be the latter, and by then we're already out.
    There's plenty of opportunities for "events, dear boy". All we've seen so far if the drop in the pound - and the benefits from that, the problems lag a bit.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

If Tony Blair and John Major want to do something useful re Brexit they should both take the peerages they are entitled to pronto. If the Supreme Court upholds the Crown Prerogative ruling we'll need their votes in the Lords. And the Lords would appreciate a bit of former prime ministerial star dust. I think Gordon is less suited to the Lords but it would add to the sense of drama and occassion if he went with them.

The disrespect this shows for the will of the people is bewildering.

Remainers seem to have come out of the shadows in recent days. Not about delaying is it now, it is about overturning.

If this shows up elements of the metropolitan elite for what they really are, all the better. We're leaving, and at this rate the bunch of anti democrats left in the wake will be devastated electorally for a generation or two.

• Options
    Charles said:

FF43 said:

Not convinced they will rejoin any of the parties TBH. Suspect they won't vote if the mainstream parties don't address their needs.
    Some may well not vote, feeling job done, others what is the point? Others may well find Corbyn and McDonnells left wing protectionist euro-scepticism to their taste, others may see in the LibDems anti-establishment views sometbing attractive.

Even non voters influence elections though, by making it easier for those of us who do vote to win.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

And you wonder why many think you're a traitor.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    felix said:

FF43 said:

Yup they'll clearly surge to the LDs and follow Farron back into the Euro and the EU - I thought it was Black friday not April Fool!
    Quite.

What is more likely is a return of many UKIP voters to the Tories at exactly the same time as a three way split in the left - WWC sitting on their hands, centrists to LDs and the rest to a rump Socialist grouping.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Mortimer said:

Remainers seem to have come out of the shadows in recent days. Not about delaying is it now, it is about overturning.

If this shows up elements of the metropolitan elite for what they really are, all the better. We're leaving, and at this rate the bunch of anti democrats left in the wake will be devastated electorally for a generation or two.

Yup :disappointed:
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

malcolmg said:

But as any fule kno, rUK will retain tariff-free access to the single market and therefore no barriers to trade with an independent Scotland in the EU.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Carswell = Churchill

It would end the Short money for UKIP too, at the time their Euro cash will be drying up and their Banks-roll having dried up.

What excuse do UKIP MEPs have for continuing to attend the European Parliament and draw their large salaries and expenses?
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Moses_ said:

Carswell = Churchill

What excuse do UKIP MEPs have for continuing to attend the European Parliament and draw their large salaries and expenses?
    Given the failure of the LDs nationally, one could ask the same, allowance wise, about the vast number of LD lords.....
  • Options

kle4 said:

There's plenty of opportunities for "events, dear boy". All we've seen so far if the drop in the pound - and the benefits from that, the problems lag a bit.
    The issue is the problems woukd need to be quite severe quite soon in order to sway enough people to convince parliamentarians to truly risk, in numbers, going for a second referendum prior to Brexit occuring. You're right about events, but the timeframe for one to occur is not as long as it seems.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Carswell = Churchill

Keep an eye on them and make sure while we are still in our interests are protected.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Mortimer said:

Like second homeowners in Wales, leavers have come home to a stinking mackerel pushed through the letterbox and don't know what to do with it.
  • Options

@viewcode

Possibly, but not using current space tech, It takes too much energy to get there.

Some might find the following interesting (or not): there are various charts that show the delta-v (change in velocity) required to get around the solar system:

Not necessarily, if you use the Interplanetary Transport Network.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplanetary_Transport_Network
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Like second homeowners in Wales, leavers have come home to a stinking mackerel pushed through the letterbox and don't know what to do with it.
    I don't really understand this 'your mess sort it out' mentality amongst Remoaners.

For a start, not a mess. Secondly, get out of our way then. We're trying to follow the will of the people. Frustrating that and then sneering about it doesn't really suggest a high degree of either logical thought or acceptance of the democratic process.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

And you wonder why many think you're a traitor.
    Even hardcore remoAners are not traitors, even if they suggested just ignoring the referendum rather than trying to get a rerun. That's legal, if politically inadvisable and socially provocative. And the whole success of the Brexit vote is the idea if you lose once you're allowed to keep trying anyway, be it soon after or decades after. Pushing for a rerun or an ignoring of the referendum is many things and I fail to see much appetite or true justification for it, but it isn't traitorous, even if one thinks it is insulting and idiotic.
  • Options
    The boiler is playing silly buggers so I must be off. If you missed it yesterday, my fantastic new book, Kingdom Asunder, has just come out, so do give it a look.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingdom-Asunder-Bloody-Crown-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B01N8UF799/
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I'd have some sympathy with that view if leavers (using 'leavers' in the same catch-all you do above for 'remainers') would not have wanted to upset the result if it had been the other way. Farage's comments being a classic.

Would they have been 'anti democrats' ?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I'd have some sympathy with that view if leavers (using 'leavers' in the same catch-all you do above for 'remainers') would not have wanted to upset the result if it had been the other way. Farage's comments being a classic.

Yup. They would have been.

There might have been justification for another referendum in a few decades time.
  • Options

@viewcode

Not necessarily, if you use the Interplanetary Transport Network.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplanetary_Transport_Network
    Good point.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

There might have been justification for another referendum in a few decades time.
    While I appreciate your point, the notion that a government is obliged by a non-binding referendum to press ahead with a course of action regardless of any adverse consequences that may later become apparent seems absurd.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

While I appreciate your point, the notion that a government is obliged by a non-binding referendum to press ahead with a course of action regardless of any adverse consequences that may later become apparent seems absurd.
    It is not obliged, but there is a heck of a lot of authority to do so. Also, circumstances always change, and the adverse consequences should be both obvious and, well, very adverse.

We're nowhere near that yet, and I don't think (and hope!) we will be.
This discussion has been closed.