Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Showing the “human face” of the PLP – how MPs who were let

Comments

• Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    IanB2 said:

Mr. B2, the Rhine and Danube are also nice examples for the shift of practical power in the Empire from Trajan's time (he had the Rhine legions on-side) to the Danubian soldier-generals that eventually resolved the crisis of the Third Century (most notably, Claudius, Aurelian and Diocletian).

That, along with most of your arcane Roman-era knowledge, I will have to take your word for.

The fact remains, as any ambitious raindrop knows all too well, the peak of their aspiration is to be falling from the sky somewhere near Basle in Switzerland and wondering whether they are destined for the North or Black Sea. When, prior to young Herdson's attempt to re-write the geographical syllabus, did you ever hear a raindrop so excited to be falling over the Pennines?
    :smiley:

Good afternoon, everybody.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

''Merkel isn't minded to do that as it would be domestically tough to cut Britain out of the single market given that 2m German jobs depend on our trade deficit with them.''

Sounds like its going to be a bit of a tough meeting, then.

Hmmm... 2 million? That sounds like the 3m Clegg number.

We're not even a top three export market for Germany; and I believe we account for just under 2% of German value add.

It depends how you calculate it.

If you argue, say, that German auto exports to the UK provide the economies of scale that then enable them to achieve a better cost quality ratio that gives them a competitive advantage in domestic and other foreign markets, then you could make the argument that many more jobs than those just needed to build cars for export to the UK depend on those UK exports.

PS That sort of calculation must be relatively more important for products which require highly expensive R&D which must be amortized over large numbers of units produced.
    As an aside, if that's true of the German car industry, then it must be an order of magnitude more true for the UK's car industry. If WTO tariffs existed between the UK and the EEA (which I do not believe will happen), it would result in components for Nissan's being subject to import tariffs are they entered the UK, and then tariffs on Nissan's going to ultimate customers in the EEA. That would not be an optimal outcome for the UK.
    Nissan might become a more popular car if we get into a tarriff cat ad mouse game given they're made in Sunderland..
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    edited August 2016
    surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS
    Now #Olympics2016 has closed, see how each country's economy compares to their medal haul https://t.co/2SoYrdWv4d https://t.co/k5NYCAbPnf

I don't think any other country spent £4bn on sports in the last 20 years from lottery funding, which is, effectively, a tax on poor people.
    You missed out the word voluntary.
    VAT is also voluntary. You don't have to spend your money. Income tax is also voluntary, you don't have to earn.
    Arguably you don't pay VAT on essentials (I know the definition of essential is contested) and you don't pay income tax on the first £10,000 of income (I think). Nobody has to play the Lottery.

As an aside, the sort of gambling discussed on here is, of course, tax free. Something that I don't think Gordon Brown gets enough credit for. :)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. B2, it doesn't matter if I'm black or white. I have a dream, where splendid authors are judged by the content of their books and not the colour of their name.

[For the avoidance of doubt, Thaddeus White is a pen name].
  • Options
    Good afternoon, Miss JGP.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS
    Now #Olympics2016 has closed, see how each country's economy compares to their medal haul https://t.co/2SoYrdWv4d https://t.co/k5NYCAbPnf

I don't think any other country spent £4bn on sports in the last 20 years from lottery funding, which is, effectively, a tax on poor people.
    VAT is also voluntary. You don't have to spend your money. Income tax is also voluntary, you don't have to earn.
    Arguably you don't pay VAT on essentials (I know the definition of essential is contested) and you don't pay income tax on the first £10,000 of income (I think). Nobody has to play the Lottery.
    Something that Labour have to be continually reminded of!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Sandpit said:

Fascinating. Presumably Drunker will start by removing all security around the EU buildings, and allowing anyone to go into his office, any time they like?

• Options

Mr. B2, it doesn't matter if I'm black or white. I have a dream, where splendid authors are judged by the content of their books and not the colour of their name.

Ah so "Morris Dancer" is your REAL name :)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

''Merkel isn't minded to do that as it would be domestically tough to cut Britain out of the single market given that 2m German jobs depend on our trade deficit with them.''

We're not even a top three export market for Germany; and I believe we account for just under 2% of German value add.

If you argue, say, that German auto exports to the UK provide the economies of scale that then enable them to achieve a better cost quality ratio that gives them a competitive advantage in domestic and other foreign markets, then you could make the argument that many more jobs than those just needed to build cars for export to the UK depend on those UK exports.

PS That sort of calculation must be relatively more important for products which require highly expensive R&D which must be amortized over large numbers of units produced.
    As an aside, if that's true of the German car industry, then it must be an order of magnitude more true for the UK's car industry. If WTO tariffs existed between the UK and the EEA (which I do not believe will happen), it would result in components for Nissan's being subject to import tariffs are they entered the UK, and then tariffs on Nissan's going to ultimate customers in the EEA. That would not be an optimal outcome for the UK.
    Yes, precisely. Of all UK sectors, the car industry is almost certainly the one which potentially has most to lose from Brexit. Like you, I think it's very unlikely that there won't be a tariff-free deal on manufactured goods - it's in neither side's interests - but there's always a risk that some political obstacle will screw things up.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''That would not be an optimal outcome for the UK. ''

As I understand it there is not one single tariff across the region between Iceland and Turkey.

Subjecting the UK to the arrangement you describe would be an act of clear and outright hostility to a key and much needed ally, and would be seen as so by the electorates of Europe,.

And that would not be an optimal outcome for the EU.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

Indeed. I am more and more convinced we'll end up with something between the Canadian and Swiss options, with a general model supplemented with specific deals to address issues such as this.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,611
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

Indeed, we have no middle manufacturing. The 2m figure is a back of the fag packet calculation btw, it's something like that. Given that they export £80bn in goods and services to the UK. A free trade deal for goods and services will be done, of that I'm sure. The question is what the price will be, I expect free movement with some minor qualifier, the Swiss solution to not paying membership fees and a three to five year transitional period of staying in the customs union while we figure out where we stand with WTO membership and our other trading partners.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @AP: BREAKING: Sarkozy formally announces he is running again to become French president in next year's elections.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    PlatoSaid said:

ONS

Canada massively under-achieve.

Hungary go to the head of the heap marked "Hmmmmmm......." Along with Russia.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Scott_P said:

@AP: BREAKING: Sarkozy formally announces he is running again to become French president in next year's elections.

Pigs would fly.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

Nissan might become a more popular car if we get into a tarriff cat ad mouse game given they're made in Sunderland..
    The issue for the UK, in the car manufacturing game, is that supply chains are long. So, a mill will buy iron ore, make steel, sell it to a firm that makes a sproket, that sproket will then be used in a gearbox, and that gearbox will then be used in a car, which will be sold across the continent.

The supply chains are long. And car companies are obsessed with keeping inventory levels at the lowest possible levels. Between the Canada and the US, trucks with automobile parts are specially precleared, so they aren't held up with customs checks between component suppliers in Ontario and car plants in Michigan.

Neither us nor the EU will want to disrupt those supply chains, and for this reason I would be extremely surprised if we did not come to an FTA for goods in short order. That being said, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that - should we go to WTO - it would be the UK, which would suffer the most.
  • Options
    ''I expect free movement with some minor qualifier, the Swiss solution to not paying membership fees and a three to five year transitional period of staying in the customs union while we figure out where we stand with WTO membership and our other trading partners. ''

Otherwise known as the 'save UKIP' solution....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

The problem is that Nissan's supply chain is highly integrated with the rest of Europe. They source parts from Germany, France and Spain. At the last count over 40% of components for consumer grade cars were imported from Europe. Replacing that supply chain with UK made parts may not be possible due to a lack of scale in UK assembly which means that assembly may have to move closer to where the parts are manufactured. As I said, we will have a free trade deal for both goods and services, it is up to the government to decide how much of a political cost it is willing to accept.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,377
    Pulpstar said:

More likely, "John"
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

I wonder if the Olympics will mark a watershed in the prospects of GB. As we enter the uncertainties of Brexit negotiations and then life isolated outside the world's greatest trading block I couldn't help but think that our decline will be slow and unrelenting.

It is wonderful to enter a thread without a cartoon character in sight.

Watershed ?

Sure you don't mean zenith ?
    As a metaphor, isn't that more or less the same thing - the highest point before an implicit decline?
    I think high water mark is what tyson meant to say.

Watershed generally implies some break or turning point - pretty sure there is no implicit value judgement.
    A watershed in geography is that point that divides the catchment area of one river / river-system from that of another; invariably a ridge or other high plateau. In other words, where both sides are downwards (although walking along a watershed can still be in an upwards direction).
    Interestingly (for me at least), watershed is derived from the German "Wasserscheide" (literally "water divide").

Presumably the bodies of water on either side of a watershed are at approximately the same level?
    No, the term's relating to the land. The 'divide' in question is the peak, ridge or the like in the topography that causes water on one side to flow into (say) the Aire and the other side to flow into the Calder.
    Thank you. So, in that sense, tyson was correct in his figurative use of the term (although I disagree with his analysis!).
    "catchment" is the term you are looking for here, I think (quals: Cambridge Geography grad)
    The USGS is one US government entity which should know better but uses 'watershed' in the lazy sense I described - not only uses it that way, but defines it that way!

http://water.usgs.gov/edu/watershed.html
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

Roll on Budapest 2024?
  • Options
    taffys said:

''I expect free movement with some minor qualifier, the Swiss solution to not paying membership fees and a three to five year transitional period of staying in the customs union while we figure out where we stand with WTO membership and our other trading partners. ''

Otherwise known as the 'save UKIP' solution....

In the short term UKIP might prosper, but over the longer term we'll still be out of the EU and our relationship with them will continue to loosen to a point where we may cut the final ties of free movement in a trade deal which is slightly less favourable for EU trade but gives us full control over immigration. We can't do that today, firstly because it takes a lot of time to achieve that and secondly because putting up trade barriers to a region where ca. 40% of our goods and services are exported seems like a mad policy without having new markets to trade with freely to replace the lost market.
  • Options
    I'm still sorry that Mr Dancer sold his first enormo-hadddock/human hybrid to the Americans.

"He responds to the name of "Mister Phelps"...."
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mr. Pulpstar, maybe. Maybe it's Boris Prancer.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Mark, the enormo-haddock make Phelps look like a sea horse.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited August 2016
    Pulpstar said:

I thought he started with Wolseley Dancer, then worked through Riley Dancer, MG Dancer, then Morris Dancer as the first name that wasn't exclusively the name of a simply dreadful UK made car :smile:

Besides - who in hell would call a pen "Thaddeus White"? 'Parker', like Lady Penelope's chauffeur, that makes sense.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

I wonder if the Olympics will mark a watershed in the prospects of GB. As we enter the uncertainties of Brexit negotiations and then life isolated outside the world's greatest trading block I couldn't help but think that our decline will be slow and unrelenting.

Watershed ?

As a metaphor, isn't that more or less the same thing - the highest point before an implicit decline?

Watershed generally implies some break or turning point - pretty sure there is no implicit value judgement.
    A watershed in geography is that point that divides the catchment area of one river / river-system from that of another; invariably a ridge or other high plateau. In other words, where both sides are downwards (although walking along a watershed can still be in an upwards direction).
    Interestingly (for me at least), watershed is derived from the German "Wasserscheide" (literally "water divide").

Presumably the bodies of water on either side of a watershed are at approximately the same level?
    No, the term's relating to the land. The 'divide' in question is the peak, ridge or the like in the topography that causes water on one side to flow into (say) the Aire and the other side to flow into the Calder.
    Thank you. So, in that sense, tyson was correct in his figurative use of the term (although I disagree with his analysis!).
    "catchment" is the term you are looking for here, I think (quals: Cambridge Geography grad)
    The USGS is one US government entity which should know better but uses 'watershed' in the lazy sense I described - not only uses it that way, but defines it that way!

Here we have the 'Continental Divide' both eastern somewhere in the appalachians, and the western one in the Rockies. You know when you get there because there are road signs!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

The problem is that Nissan's supply chain is highly integrated with the rest of Europe. They source parts from Germany, France and Spain. At the last count over 40% of components for consumer grade cars were imported from Europe. Replacing that supply chain with UK made parts may not be possible due to a lack of scale in UK assembly which means that assembly may have to move closer to where the parts are manufactured. As I said, we will have a free trade deal for both goods and services, it is up to the government to decide how much of a political cost it is willing to accept.
    Yes. Let's have the Single Market and Freedom of Movement. Perfect solution. Wait........
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

The issue for the UK, in the car manufacturing game, is that supply chains are long. So, a mill will buy iron ore, make steel, sell it to a firm that makes a sproket, that sproket will then be used in a gearbox, and that gearbox will then be used in a car, which will be sold across the continent.

The supply chains are long. And car companies are obsessed with keeping inventory levels at the lowest possible levels. Between the Canada and the US, trucks with automobile parts are specially precleared, so they aren't held up with customs checks between component suppliers in Ontario and car plants in Michigan.

Neither us nor the EU will want to disrupt those supply chains, and for this reason I would be extremely surprised if we did not come to an FTA for goods in short order. That being said, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that - should we go to WTO - it would be the UK, which would suffer the most.
    Agreed. But you are a Brexiter, right ?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,682
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

Watershed ?

Here we have the 'Continental Divide' both eastern somewhere in the appalachians, and the western one in the Rockies. You know when you get there because there are road signs!
    But didn't things get buggered up when they reversed the flow in the Chicago River?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

Indeed, we have no middle manufacturing. The 2m figure is a back of the fag packet calculation btw, it's something like that. Given that they export £80bn in goods and services to the UK. A free trade deal for goods and services will be done, of that I'm sure. The question is what the price will be, I expect free movement with some minor qualifier, the Swiss solution to not paying membership fees and a three to five year transitional period of staying in the customs union while we figure out where we stand with WTO membership and our other trading partners.
    So, you still think it will be Britain who will dictate the policies. Dream on.......
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

Two Hungarian women picked up three gold medals each. Both have been at the top of their respective sports for some years (the Iron Lady in particular is a Hungarian superstar). Hungary is very focused in the sports it pursues for the Olympics: all of their golds were accounted for by swimming, canoeing and fencing. I don't see especial grounds for doubting the integrity of their winners.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

Two Hungarian women picked up three gold medals each. Both have been at the top of their respective sports for some years (the Iron Lady in particular is a Hungarian superstar). Hungary is very focused in the sports it pursues for the Olympics: all of their golds were accounted for by swimming, canoeing and fencing. I don't see especial grounds for doubting the integrity of their winners.
    Cast out a little ground-bait...and up the fishes come....
  • Options

Mr. 1000, it is possible for people not to co-operate even when it's in their interests.

Mr. Surbiton, you think earning money and spending it on things like energy are voluntary? You tinker.

You can be cold and live in the dark. There is no compulsion that you have to use electricity.
  • Options
    Mr. Surbiton, whilst a persuasive argument, I must confess to remain unconvinced dwelling in frigid darkness is comparable to not buying a lottery ticket.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Mr. 1000, it is possible for people not to co-operate even when it's in their interests.

Mr. Surbiton, you think earning money and spending it on things like energy are voluntary? You tinker.

You can be cold and live in the dark. There is no compulsion that you have to use electricity.
    That reminds me of a bumper sticker popular in western Canada, when I lived in Canada. "Let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark".
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

As an aside, the sort of gambling discussed on here is, of course, tax free. Something that I don't think Gordon Brown gets enough credit for. :)
    I don’t think .... could be wrong.... that Gordon Brown has ever had any credit for anything on PB>
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Living in the UK in 1974 is proof of that.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

I don’t think .... could be wrong.... that Gordon Brown has ever had any credit for anything on PB>
    Hard to remember now, but I think in the early days he was universally called the "greatest chancellor of modern times".
  • Options

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

ISTR that Mr Brown was given credit on PB (by some) for keeping us out of the Euro.
  • Options
    Good to see India stay on the path of credibility today by putting a monetary hawk in charge of the RBI. It does mean that Raghuram Rajan is available for when Carney's governorship comes to an end.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,682
    Tim_B said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

Hard to remember now, but I think in the early days he was universally called the "greatest chancellor of modern times".
    Is 'greatest' better than 'near perfect'?
  • Options
    Incidentally, as people have pondered the deep mystery that is Thaddeus White, I have heard he has a new story in an anthology due out on 2 September, entitled Explorations: Through the Wormhole. [The story is called Dead Weight].

It's the best Chinese sci-fi short story I have ever written.
  • Options
    I have just come back from three weeks in Tuscany with my children and grandchildren having endured daily temperatures of 35+ with high humidity and lots of mosquitoes and only bottled drinking water but it is a magnificent country with lovely people who adore families and children. However it really does look impoverished and while staying a couple of nights at a Rome airport hotel before flying home the hotel lost it's internet connection. It was a four star hotel and the staff were excellent but said that this was happening on a daily basis causing chaos as they couldn't input credit cards for payment, receive or deal with reservations or print boarding passes for guests. Indeed Rome airport had lost all it's internet one day the previous week.

They were furious with their Government saying that Italy was a third world country. Their frustration was palpable and I ventured to suggest they should follow the UK out of Europe and regain their sovereignty. The receptionist, who had worked in London, said that the UK is a strong country and has the 'balls' (her words) to leave. She seemed quite proud of the UK and at the same day the headlines showed the UK flag being flown alongside the Italian flag on the Genoa beaches in solidarity with the UK and the euro flag being removed. All the staff said they would vote out Renzie in October.

The EU is a complete failure and we need to Brexit asap
  • Options

Incidentally, as people have pondered the deep mystery that is Thaddeus White, I have heard he has a new story in an anthology due out on 2 September, entitled Explorations: Through the Wormhole. [The story is called Dead Weight].

Is it true that you were heavily influenced by Sonic the Hedgehog?
  • Options
    ''The EU is a complete failure and we need to Brexit asap ''

Mr G - Born Again Brexiteer!

Never thought I'd see the day.
  • Options

I have just come back from three weeks in Tuscany with my children and grandchildren having endured daily temperatures of 35+ with high humidity and lots of mosquitoes and only bottled drinking water but it is a magnificent country with lovely people who adore families and children. However it really does look impoverished and while staying a couple of nights at a Rome airport hotel before flying home the hotel lost it's internet connection. It was a four star hotel and the staff were excellent but said that this was happening on a daily basis causing chaos as they couldn't input credit cards for payment, receive or deal with reservations or print boarding passes for guests. Indeed Rome airport had lost all it's internet one day the previous week.

They were furious with their Government saying that Italy was a third world country. Their frustration was palpable and I ventured to suggest they should follow the UK out of Europe and regain their sovereignty. The receptionist, who had worked in London, said that the UK is a strong country and has the 'balls' (her words) to leave. She seemed quite proud of the UK and at the same day the headlines showed the UK flag being flown alongside the Italian flag on the Genoa beaches in solidarity with the UK and the euro flag being removed. All the staff said they would vote out Renzie in October.

I'm not sure the EU is to blame for Italy's endemic corruption and poor infrastructure.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

Is 'greatest' better than 'near perfect'?
    On the grounds that "Great Scot!" sounds better than "Near Perfect Scot!" (a hard thing to envision) I would have to say Prossibly (a combination of possibly and probably).

Of course neither compares favorably to reversing the flow of the Chicago River, even though they forgot to tell anybody.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mr. B, bit sleepy, so unsure of the reference.

Unless you've got a good memory and recalled me praising the excellent quartet of Sonic books I had as a child, which introduced me to concepts such as transmogrification and the Grandmother Paradox in time travel.

In those terms, there is not a Sonic influence, for this short story.

Edited extra bit: I only had 5-10k words to play with, so I don't want to over-egg the cake, but there is a mild Alien/Wrath of Khan influence.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I was born again at 5.00am on the morning after the referendum. But it should be said I was an avid eurosceptic all along but I am very much a Brexiteer now even promoting it Internationally !!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm not sure the EU is to blame for Italy's endemic corruption and poor infrastructure.
    One hell of a handy (and currently high profile) scapegoat though.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Maybe but they are the target of the people as is happening throughout Europe. UK voting out has had a big effect on the rest of Europe
  • Options

Mr. B, bit sleepy, so unsure of the reference.

Unless you've got a good memory and recalled me praising the excellent quartet of Sonic books I had as a child, which introduced me to concepts such as transmogrification and the Grandmother Paradox in time travel.

In those terms, there is not a Sonic influence, for this short story.

Edited extra bit: I only had 5-10k words to play with, so I don't want to over-egg the cake, but there is a mild Alien/Wrath of Khan influence.

A surprising influence on me was some Sonic the Hedgehog books which I absolutely loved. As well as liking them, they introduced me to the concepts of time paradoxes, the fourth and fifth dimensions, and transmogrification (no, really).

I checked your website ;)
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

taffys said:

I was born again at 5.00am on the morning after the referendum. But it should be said I was an avid eurosceptic all along but I am very much a Brexiteer now even promoting it Internationally !!
    Northern Italy is very successful. Sadly it is attached to Southern Italy. This is to be regretted and responsibility must ultimately lie at Charles Albert's door.
  • Options
    Mr. B, ah, well, it's crammed full of interesting information, free stories, and the odd piece of artwork (do check for the Greek/Egyptian style picture of Dog fighting a monster, if you haven't seen it yet).
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

There's no doubt that the euro has done Italy a power of no good.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    The EU's man in Rome, Matteo Renzi, is going to lose his referendum, upholding the EU's near 100% defeat rate when it comes to plebiscites on its ideas.
  • Options
    Incidentally, the proper map for Kingdom Asunder is too big to include in the book, so I'll be putting that up on my website (http://thaddeuswhite.weebly.com/) either just before or just after it's released.
  • Options

The EU's man in Rome, Matteo Renzi, is going to lose his referendum, upholding the EU's near 100% defeat rate when it comes to plebiscites on its ideas.

Followed by Hollande and who knows maybe Merkel
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indeed. With our particular history we do find it so difficult to empathise with our European neighbours. For centuries Italy was ruled by, and fought over by, foreign powers. With the native population surviving by trying to outwit their foreign landlords (hence the persisting mistrust of authority, culture of 'furbo' and tax evasion, and ultimately the mafia). They have just over a century of independence to look back on, which of course includes the Mussolini era. Italy embraced the EU out of hope that Brussels had surely to offer better governance than home grown politicians. For more understanding of the modern perspective of what Italian politics had become, the '1992' DVD box set is recommended.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Mr G is clearly a graduate of the Sean T university of deep thought and perceptive insight.
  • Options
    Do you approve the constitutional bill concerning the dispositions to overcome the perfect bicameralism, the reduction of the number of members of the Parliament, the restraint of the institutions' operating costs, the abolition of CNEL and the revision of Titolo V of the 2nd part of the Constitution, which was approved by the Parliament and publicated on the Gazzetta Ufficiale n. 88, on April 15, 2016?

I hope they answer the question at hand
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Afternoon all :)

I'm very much of the view the Party Conference and the Autumn Statement will tell us a lot more about the kind of Government May will be leading. At the moment, everyone can focus their own aspirations/hopes/prejudices and expect them to be met as, to be honest, we've gone through the summer without any Government at all.

So what of our future economic direction notwithstanding Brexit ? As everyone seems to have stopped caring about the deficit or the debt, I presume a healthy dose of good old-fashioned reflation is on the cards or perhaps the euphemism of "supply side reforms" which we all know means tax cuts for businesses and higher earners and nothing but platitudes for the rest of us.

Best not to think about the QE....

On a tangent, I was musing about the unexpected (to some) Conservative majority last year. I think if he had come up 20 seats short, we'd have seen Coalition 2.0 but not with the LDs but with the SNP. A Conservative-SNP Coalition was always an option with Cameron giving a virtual free hand to Sturgeon (everything but independence) and, with no majority, he would have been off the EU Referendum hook and even if Peter Bone and 50 of the Tory "awkward squad" had put down a motion calling for a vote, the SNP and Labour would have voted against and Cameron would have won comfortably.

The "threat" might have been Ed M in Sturgeon's pocket - the reality might have been Sturgeon in Cameron's.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    ''There's no doubt that the euro has done Italy a power of no good. ''

I feel sorry for Italy. They thought joining meant thousands of stern, muscular Northern European policemen with barking alsatians would come south to rescue them from corruption and organised crime.

Sadly, it never happened.
  • Options
    Am I alone in wishing our EU27 neighbours a resoundingly successful conclusion to EMU, a thriving economy and healthy markets? I'm jolly keen on trading with them.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

Hungary is a wonderful country with a distinctive culture and history. FPT Budapest would be far the most interesting choice from the 2024 host cities on offer.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    AnneJGP said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

ISTR that Mr Brown was given credit on PB (by some) for keeping us out of the Euro.
    A happy circumstance, but surely only fought for so Brown could keep a conspicuous area of control over financial affairs away from Blair?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

I'm very much of the view the Party Conference and the Autumn Statement will tell us a lot more about the kind of Government May will be leading. At the moment, everyone can focus their own aspirations/hopes/prejudices and expect them to be met as, to be honest, we've gone through the summer without any Government at all.

So what of our future economic direction notwithstanding Brexit ? As everyone seems to have stopped caring about the deficit or the debt, I presume a healthy dose of good old-fashioned reflation is on the cards or perhaps the euphemism of "supply side reforms" which we all know means tax cuts for businesses and higher earners and nothing but platitudes for the rest of us.

Best not to think about the QE....

On a tangent, I was musing about the unexpected (to some) Conservative majority last year. I think if he had come up 20 seats short, we'd have seen Coalition 2.0 but not with the LDs but with the SNP. A Conservative-SNP Coalition was always an option with Cameron giving a virtual free hand to Sturgeon (everything but independence) and, with no majority, he would have been off the EU Referendum hook and even if Peter Bone and 50 of the Tory "awkward squad" had put down a motion calling for a vote, the SNP and Labour would have voted against and Cameron would have won comfortably.

The "threat" might have been Ed M in Sturgeon's pocket - the reality might have been Sturgeon in Cameron's.

QE is basically chemotherapy that fails to cure the patient.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

A happy circumstance, but surely only fought for so Brown keep a conspicuous area of control over financial affairs away from Blair?
    The right thing done for the wrong reasons is still the right thing.

Though I'm not sure "to piss Blair off" was necessarily the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    John_M said:

Am I alone in wishing our EU27 neighbours a resoundingly successful conclusion to EMU, a thriving economy and healthy markets? I'm jolly keen on trading with them.

No - but wishing won't change the facts on the ground (Unless you are a Corbyn Supporter)
  • Options
    John_M said:

And they need to trade with us, hence a deal will happen
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Donald really. I am sure you do not believe this either.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

John_M said:

No - but wishing won't change the facts on the ground (Unless you are a Corbyn Supporter)
    I think I'd rather be right than happy any day. Sadly, I fear the EU27 are only locking themselves into an every tighter spiral of endless crisis and decline.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

Hungary is a wonderful country with a distinctive culture and history. FPT Budapest would be far the most interesting choice from the 2024 host cities on offer.
    I have nothing against Hungary, other than remembering that the place was fry-an-egg-on-the-pavements hot in the middle of August. But TeamGB seemed to cope with the heat of Rio, so not a bar to giving it a thumbs up. It's just that Paris would be head and shoulders above the rest as a venue.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

No, we are the 3rd largest export market for Germany, and only just behind their top two export markets. In terms of the balance of trade, Germany's largest net trade surplus is with the US (£54 bn) followed closely by the UK (£50bn). We really do hold all the cards with the Germans, cards that until the Brexit vote we were forbidden to play.

https://www.destatis.de/EN/FactsFigures/NationalEconomyEnvironment/ForeignTrade/TradingPartners/Tables/OrderRankGermanyTradingPartners.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

As for the Italian position, who knows whether it will be Renzi or M5S calling the shots by May 2018.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:
    It's funny how people who always clamour for open borders seem to have large borders around their own property.
  • Options

Have you written many?
  • Options
    John_M said:

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

I think that's right. It's the country in the Eurozone which i think would benefit most from a return to the Lira.

But, and it's a big but, Italy has many problems that are nothing to do with the EU or the Euro. Its demographics are absolutely appalling. Its labour market is among the least flexible in Europe. Its banks are subscale and have too many non performing loans. Corruption is endemic. There is an appalling north south divide. Government debt to GDP is second only behind Greece.

Italian politicians of all colours have refused to recognise the depth of its problems. Leaving the EU might help as regards the currency, but most of Italy's problems are theirs and theirs alone.
  • Options

For it to work, they really have to make the European Parliament sovereign. Voters don;t like ceding power to politicians who don;t have to campaign to them. We would then see cross border parties develop and politicians of one country campaigning in others.

• Options

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

I have nothing against Hungary, other than remembering that the place was fry-an-egg-on-the-pavements hot in the middle of August. But TeamGB seemed to cope with the heat of Rio, so not a bar to giving it a thumbs up. It's just that Paris would be head and shoulders above the rest as a venue.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQD1k3wMt2S99-cKyAhcG-Q
  • Options
    ''Italian politicians of all colours have refused to recognise the depth of its problems. Leaving the EU might help as regards the currency, but most of Italy's problems are theirs and theirs alone. ''

Isn;t that why the Italian voters joined the EU though? they wanted politicians from outside Italy to get a grip on endemic problems their own were incapable of solving.

It just hasn't happened, sadly.
  • Options
    Miss JGP, no, which is why you can be confident that Dead Weight is the most brilliant I have ever written.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    The EU Parliament needs to bugger off. Claiming all our medals as their own...

https://twitter.com/EuroGuido/status/767705150723063809
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

I think that's right. It's the country in the Eurozone which i think would benefit most from a return to the Lira.

But, and it's a big but, Italy has many problems that are nothing to do with the EU or the Euro. Its demographics are absolutely appalling. Its labour market is among the least flexible in Europe. Its banks are subscale and have too many non performing loans. Corruption is endemic. There is an appalling north south divide. Government debt to GDP is second only behind Greece.

Italian politicians of all colours have refused to recognise the depth of its problems. Leaving the EU might help as regards the currency, but most of Italy's problems are theirs and theirs alone.
    Oh yes, I do agree. The EU is a handy whipping boy for domestic politicians. Membership of the single market does not automatically translate into economic growth. By some measures the Italian economy was #4 in 1991. It's had almost no growth since the introduction of the euro.

Thinking about it, this is why I'm fairly relaxed about our prospects. You can't point at the EU27 overall and say, "Look how much trend growth has improved since Maastricht and then the Euro".

However, I refuse to make the EU a bogeyman. It's been a boon to the A8 and A2, an improvement for Portugal, Spain and Greece, and obviously has done Germany and its satellites a power of good.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

rcs1000 said:

Maybe but they are the target of the people as is happening throughout Europe. UK voting out has had a big effect on the rest of Europe
    So your holiday anecdotes versus polling showing almost every EU country more strongly in favour of the EU than before the referendum. What to believe. :)
  • Options
    Mr. SE, like when Chirac claimed our rugby world cup as a victory for Europe :p
  • Options
    felix said:

rcs1000 said:

So your holiday anecdotes versus polling showing almost every EU country more strongly in favour of the EU than before the referendum. What to believe. :)
    The same polls, presumably, that showed UK electorates hardening in favour of the EU as well..?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

TOPPING said:

fpt

At room temperature, holding your nose (or not often), I would bet good money on no one being able to tell the difference between red or white wine; or whisky or brandy.

It's quite a good party trick. Especially if there is a "wine expert" there...

On topic...I think Lab need a good 10-15 years to work this socialism will work if only the people are given a chance stuff out of their system.

Not as effective as a six-month campaign and then referendum for the Tories & the EU but it seems nothing else is going to work.

Not being able to tell the difference between whisky and brandy? That sounds a little unlikely, Mr. Topping. Perhaps if the contestants have already had a few and you are using low quality (i.e. near raw spirit blends) for the materials, I might, possibly, confuse the two. But stone cold sober, I am sure I could tell the difference and if you used say an Islay whisky such as Laphroaig up against, well, just about any brandy you care to name I am dead certain I could.

Perhaps we could try this at the meeting with young AlanBrooke.
    Deprived of smell, I think quite a lot of people would struggle to tell the difference between Whisky and Brandy. Nose is around 90 percent of tasting. Brandy (to me) has a bit more of a metallic taste. Obviously if you're talking about something heavily peated, that would change things.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

The same polls, presumably, that showed UK electorates hardening in favour of the EU as well..?
    Nope. Nor did many of them anyway.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MP_SE said:

As I said at the time, at least they're not pretending they don't want a USE any longer. Flushed 'em out, we have.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,932

The answer might be to introduce a handicapping system. Every athlete gets a DNA and hormone test, and are assigned a Natural Advantage Indicator. Then they have different weights to slow them down, the higher their NAI is. The athletes that train and work hardest will then win, so matter how they are born.

Christ, no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron
  • Options

Mr. SE, like when Chirac claimed our rugby world cup as a victory for Europe :p

LOL.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    John_M said:

Not at all - I share your hopes for them.
  • Options
    felix said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm going to be interested in seeing more of those polls. The only one I saw was taken just as the £ and FTSE went into the shitter and before Nice etc.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    MP_SE said:

You could take all the UK medals off that figure and the EU would still be top and the UK not showing in the top 3.

Not that it isn't a ridiculous tweet.
  • Options
    John_M said:

MP_SE said:

As I said at the time, at least they're not pretending they don't want a USE any longer. Flushed 'em out, we have.
    The more people who realise that a USE is the endgame the better.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

Maybe most of Italy's problems are theirs alone, but nonetheless the whole point of a separate currency is that it would allow a devaluation to reduce costs across the board in recognition of those very same problems. As it is, in 10 years time and possibly much sooner Italy will have gone the way of Greece barring an end to the single currency.
  • Options
    taffys said:

For it to work, they really have to make the European Parliament sovereign. Voters don;t like ceding power to politicians who don;t have to campaign to them. We would then see cross border parties develop and politicians of one country campaigning in others.

I am sure that statements like "High unemployment in Italy is a price worth paying to keep down inflation in Germany." (C) E George - would go down well.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119

As it is, in 10 years time and possibly much sooner Italy will have gone the way of Greece barring an end to the single currency.

Define 'gone the way of Greece'? My version is 'forced to face up to their long-term problems whether they like it or not'.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

You could take all the UK medals off that figure and the EU would still be top and the UK not showing in the top 3.

Not that it isn't a ridiculous tweet.
    Ignoring the inclusion of the UK, I think the bigggest and most idiotic mistake was that IF the EU was a single country they would not be able to field anyway near the number of candidates the member states fielded. It would be safe to assume the total medal count would be significantly less.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Incidentally, the proper map for Kingdom Asunder is too big to include in the book, so I'll be putting that up on my website (http://thaddeuswhite.weebly.com/) either just before or just after it's released.

Noooooooo! A terrible idea! When I am reading the book in bed and you make a reference to a town/city/route and I wonder where the feck is that again I will have to get up turn on my computer wait for it warm up and then log and navigate to the map. During which time I will have gone from comfortable, toasty-warm to wide awake and cursing with the old BP pumping up.

My only sensible solution would be to print out the map and blue-tack it onto the ceiling above my bed. Herself might have something to say about that but needs must when the devil drives. Just how big is this map? My printer can deal with A3 but the nice chaps at the design studio in the village can print up to A0, for a fee.
This discussion has been closed.