Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Showing the “human face” of the PLP – how MPs who were let

124»

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    Just got another survey today from yougov on lab leadership too.. perhaps someone didn't like the results of the missing one?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited August 2016

Human face of the PLP

Tom Blenkinsop ‏@TomBlenkinsop 22h22 hours ago
    Corbynites,momentum & the rest of the hard-left,get out of the people's party

Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84 11h11 hours ago
    The only thing that needs to get out of the people's party is this attitude

Tom BlenkinsopVerified account
    @TomBlenkinsop Tom Blenkinsop Retweeted Owen Jones
    What an idiot Owen Jones is.

Perhaps they would all be better dropping all this nonsense of the "people's party".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,130
    RobD said:

God, what a half wit, conflating the Commonwealth with the Empire. From a government whip too.

twitter.com/HeatherWheeler/status/767756321219379201

Well most former Empire countries are in the Commonwealth, so it isn't totally wrong. I'm sure Sunil can let us know which sorry countries have yet to apply :p
    The US and Ireland are the most prominent ex-Empire, non-Commonwealth nations
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

The EU Parliament needs to bugger off. Claiming all our medals as their own...

https://twitter.com/EuroGuido/status/767705150723063809

You could take all the UK medals off that figure and the EU would still be top and the UK not showing in the top 3.

Not that it isn't a ridiculous tweet.
    The UK would be third on golds but not medals as a whole
  • Options
    The latest tourism data shows that the UK's earnings were 2% down during the 12 months to the end of June but expenditure abroad was 12% up:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/leisureandtourism/bulletins/overseastravelandtourism/provisionalresultsforjune2016

It will be interesting to see if the anecdotes of increased foreign tourists are borne out in future data.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    HYUFD said:
    Yet the Lib Dems were annihilated. Strange, given they look very much the 'heirs to Blair'.
  • Options
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    Yet the Lib Dems were annihilated. Strange, given they look very much the 'heirs to Blair'.
    Does anybody really know what the Lib Dem stand for these days, other than Pro EU. I am clearly way more interested in this stuff given I am on PB and I have zero idea what Tiny Tim's Lib Dem's policies are.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    The brand loyalties trump what people say they want, because it is not really what they want in any case. People might have problems if you look too fanatically one side or the other, but they don't seem to trust anyone who is actually perceived as directly in the centre, they aren't trusted by either side.
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

God, what a half wit, conflating the Commonwealth with the Empire. From a government whip too.

Well most former Empire countries are in the Commonwealth, so it isn't totally wrong. I'm sure Sunil can let us know which sorry countries have yet to apply :p
    Ireland hardly needs to be, they get pretty much all rights of UK citizens anyway.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

The latest tourism data shows that the UK's earnings were 2% down during the 12 months to the end of June but expenditure abroad was 12% up:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/leisureandtourism/bulletins/overseastravelandtourism/provisionalresultsforjune2016

It will be interesting to see if the anecdotes of increased foreign tourists are borne out in future data.

Given the large numbers of tourists rushing to London because of the cheap pound and many Brits taking staycations in Blackpool and Southend and Cornwall rather than going to the Med for the same reason I expect UK tourism to be the biggest BREXIT gainer in post June figures and foreign package holiday companies amongst the biggest losers. Though outside London, on some measures the most visited nation on earth, the UK will always have more of its citizens travelling abroad than foreigners coming here, largely because of the weather, we are the 5th largest economy but only the 8th most visited country, even if BREXIT improves the numbers a little
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    perhaps not so strange then
  • Options
    Returning from the Olympic Games with a silver medal around his neck, plain-speaking Cavendish, 31, slammed the organisers over 'terrible' food and lifts that 'didn't work properly'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3752622/The-food-terrible-lifts-didn-t-work-Cyclist-Mark-Cavendish-reveals-brutal-verdict-REALLY-like-Team-GB-s-stars-Rio.html
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

Given the large numbers of tourists rushing to London because of the cheap pound and many Brits taking staycations in Blackpool and Southend and Cornwall rather than going to the Med for the same reason I expect UK tourism to be the biggest BREXIT gainer in post June figures and foreign package holiday companies amongst the biggest losers
    We're having a record-breaking season here. Partly because everywhere else looks risky.

Forgive my lack of humility andcompassion, but I am enjoying the Remainers on my time line. Reduced to posting stories about a Gateshead architectural practice going out of business with the loss of 18 jobs.

They just need to keep their powder dry. There will be a reckoning for Brexit, just not quite yet.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Pong said:

Just putting this out there. pic.twitter.com/BCygRMQaFw

— Richard Kadrey (@Richard_Kadrey) 21 August 2016

Well you're more likely to be able to eat the sheep if you lie to them - as the Democrats have proved.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

BBC - Ryan Lochte: Speedo and Ralph Lauren end sponsorship.

I was wondering what punishment would befit Lochte’s behaviour in Rio. His pocket appears to be the first recipient, which seems fitting. And now for the IOC's turn...

He's apparently been suspended for 6 events. As ESPN said, can anybody name any swim events?
    Phelps got suspended for 6 months for DUI...
    You can fix behavioral problems, as Phelps has done to his credit. Lochte's problem is you can't fix stupid.
    I remember accidentally seeing the reality show they did with him....stupid is a very kind way of putting it....its a good job swimming pools are straight and have defined lanes otherwise he is sure to get lost.
    One of the US comedy shows, perhaps The Daily Show, did a piece on Lochte last week. The guy struggles to put a sentence together, has all the social skills of a young Wayne Rooney.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    In retrospect Cameron was the true 'heir to Blair', Clegg was his Deputy. On that graph both Cameron and May are closer to Blair than Corbyn is
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

BBC - Ryan Lochte: Speedo and Ralph Lauren end sponsorship.

I was wondering what punishment would befit Lochte’s behaviour in Rio. His pocket appears to be the first recipient, which seems fitting. And now for the IOC's turn...

He's apparently been suspended for 6 events. As ESPN said, can anybody name any swim events?
    Phelps got suspended for 6 months for DUI...
    You can fix behavioral problems, as Phelps has done to his credit. Lochte's problem is you can't fix stupid.
    I remember accidentally seeing the reality show they did with him....stupid is a very kind way of putting it....its a good job swimming pools are straight and have defined lanes otherwise he is sure to get lost.
    One of the US comedy shows, perhaps The Daily Show, did a piece on Lochte last week. The guy struggles to put a sentence together, has all the social skills of a young Wayne Rooney.
    He is so dense, light actually bends around him....
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    Broke promises on their defining policy and destroyed their key offer, a safe anti Tory vote. Otherwise all good.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    The brand loyalties trump what people say they want, because it is not really what they want in any case. People might have problems if you look too fanatically one side or the other, but they don't seem to trust anyone who is actually perceived as directly in the centre, they aren't trusted by either side.
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Ireland hardly needs to be, they get pretty much all rights of UK citizens anyway.
    Actually on that graph the most centrist of the main party leaders, Blair, Cameron and May have been our PMs for the last 19 years. The LDs problem, as that graph shows, is that they pitched well to Blair's left under Charles Kennedy and then even a fraction to Blair's right under Clegg, turning off their core vote while failing to convince centrist swing voters
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Given the large numbers of tourists rushing to London because of the cheap pound and many Brits taking staycations in Blackpool and Southend and Cornwall rather than going to the Med for the same reason I expect UK tourism to be the biggest BREXIT gainer in post June figures and foreign package holiday companies amongst the biggest losers
    We're having a record-breaking season here. Partly because everywhere else looks risky.

Forgive my lack of humility andcompassion, but I am enjoying the Remainers on my time line. Reduced to posting stories about a Gateshead architectural practice going out of business with the loss of 18 jobs.

They just need to keep their powder dry. There will be a reckoning for Brexit, just not quite yet.
    Yes but the reckoning will hit Thomas Cook and city banks and maybe some manufacturers too, especially if it is a hard BREXIT, however Blackpool landladies and Devonshire B and B owners are winners regardless, indeed the worse BREXIT gets and the more the £ falls, the more the average holidaymaker will not be able to afford to take their family abroad hence booking with them instead. Add in a few more terrorist attacks in the Mediterrenean and the desire to stay safe at home and you could almost say the UK tourism industry ought to be praying for bad news, morbid as it sounds
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408

RobD said:

I think there are members of the British Commonwealth that were never part of the Empire per se, they just asked to join for the company.

Re: Wheeler, silly mistake by one who should know better.
    Mozambique and Rwanda have both joined the Commonwealth, despite not being in the Empire.
    Cheers Dr Fox, I knew I’d read something about it. – Makes perfect sense for Mozambique and Rwanda to do so as there are many African nations already involved and they get a chance to meet other Leaders (while chaperoned) - plus they get to meet HMG. :lol:
    Rwanda applied as part of its explicit programme to distance itself from France, after the 1994 genocide. They have also made English their preferred second language, now used in all schools.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Except the right for their athletes to compete in the Commonwealth Games
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

There seem to be athletic competitions every year, so I'm sure they get by.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    We never seem to hear anything from Harriet Harman . Has she retired completely? Pity if she has as I would like to see her squirming uncomfortably in interview.. Does MR Harman now do the interviews?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Actually on that graph the most centrist of the main party leaders, Blair, Cameron and May have been our PMs for the last 19 years. The LDs problem, as that graph shows, is that they pitched well to Blair's left under Charles Kennedy and then even a fraction to Blair's right under Clegg, turning off their core vote while failing to convince centrist swing voters
    How quickly we forget Dr Brown...
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    "We want a fair fight".

And how can u argue against that. Interesting to see Commonwealth vote split of London vs. non London.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vvDC6UT3WL4
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

How quickly we forget Dr Brown...
    OK add him too but he never won an election and lost in 2010 to the more centrist Cameron
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

There seem to be athletic competitions every year, so I'm sure they get by.
    Not for as many sports at the Commonwealth Games, which is the only largescale sporting event to compete with the Olympics in range of sports covered. The Irish PM also misses out on meeting with the Queen and other leaders at Commonwealth summits
  • Options
    Monmouth Ohio Clinton 43% Trump 39% Johnson 10% Stein 1%
    http://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_OH_082216/
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Our lads and lasses really have knocked it out of the park at the Olympics.

When we put our minds to something, we really are rather good at things.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

We never seem to hear anything from Harriet Harman . Has she retired completely? Pity if she has as I would like to see her squirming uncomfortably in interview.. Does MR Harman now do the interviews?

Have you always been so stupid or is it just recent ?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Oops

ABC
    FBI uncovers nearly 15,000 more emails and materials sent to or from Hillary Clinton. https://t.co/aNrqVjG32O https://t.co/pROPGthEBI
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Yes but the reckoning will hit Thomas Cook and city banks and maybe some manufacturers too, especially if it is a hard BREXIT, however Blackpool landladies and Devonshire B and B owners are winners regardless, indeed the worse BREXIT gets and the more the £ falls, the more the average holidaymaker will not be able to afford to take their family abroad hence booking with them instead. Add in a few more terrorist attacks in the Mediterrenean and the desire to stay safe at home and you could almost say the UK tourism industry ought to be praying for bad news, morbid as it sounds
    UK Tourism does not have the capacity for that - at least now. Therefore, prices will rise and will be close enough to foreign destinations.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Breaking news - skin care company Syneron-Candela (who?) has also dropped Ryan Lochte.

So now he has no trunks, no jacket, and a bad complexion.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

UK Tourism does not have the capacity for that - at least now. Therefore, prices will rise and will be close enough to foreign destinations.
    From what I've heard of Blackpool recently, they have plenty of excess capacity.

What do the donkeys on Blackpool Beach get for lunch? An hour just like everyone else :smile:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    That's a nice left/right infographic!
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

Monmouth Ohio Clinton 43% Trump 39% Johnson 10% Stein 1%
    http://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_OH_082216/

Similar to the previous poll which had Clinton +6. Biggest Swing is Clinton --> Johnson

The fun starts if Johnson starts polling 15% consistently, but if he gets close to it his figures will drop off a bit.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

They may raise prices a little due to rising demand but they will not rise anywhere near as much as the £ has fallen and the knock-on effect that has had on trips abroad
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    Just back from meeting Owen Smith this evening at a phone bank while spending a couple of hours canvassing fellow members on the phone.

From my sample Don is right - it is certainly not going to be a walkover for Corbyn. Compared to 2015, the Burnham/Cooper/Kendall supporters were all solidly for Smith and there was a significant amount of switching from 2015 Corbyn voters. I don't think that I had that many recent sign-ups on my list though. Others there reported similar findings.

As for Smith I was impressed by how quick witted he is as an individual, confirming the impression gained from his media appearances.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    New thread!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

From what I've heard of Blackpool recently, they have plenty of excess capacity.

What do the donkeys on Blackpool Beach get for lunch? An hour just like everyone else :smile:
    Exactly, Blackpool was heaving in the fifties and sixties, as soon as cheap flights arrived rather less so, given a choice of Marbella or Blackpool Pleasure Beach there was only going to be one winner!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Tim_B said:

Interesting discussion on ESPN today about the top US sports brands that are popular even when they're in a down cycle, and when they get good, they explode to the most popular team in their sport.

The Cowboys have been irrelevant for years and still are the most valuable franchise.

There are other franchises who are close but these are the top 8.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2016-dallas-cowboys-1784456648
This discussion has been closed.