Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Showing the “human face” of the PLP – how MPs who were let

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    MP_SE said:

The EU Parliament needs to bugger off. Claiming all our medals as their own...

@GuidoFawkes: How the British Empire Beats the EU for Olympic Medals https://t.co/FKica8FdIA https://t.co/jRZYwezHUF
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Miss JGP, no, which is why you can be confident that Dead Weight is the most brilliant I have ever written.

:smiley: I did wonder. Your remark seemed to invite the question (I would say it seemed to 'beg the question' but I don't know whether that is the actual meaning of the phrase or not, and I do know we have purists on the matter on PB).
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Big_G_NorthWales

'The receptionist, who had worked in London, said that the UK is a strong country and has the 'balls' (her words) to leave.'

Strange ! My wife & daughter had similar experiences in the south of France last month,people congratulating them & saying how fortunate they were to be leaving the EU etc.

My wife who is a French national found it particularly amusing as she was a reluctant non-voting Remainer & my daughter voted Remain..
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Incidentally, as people have pondered the deep mystery that is Thaddeus White, I have heard he has a new story in an anthology due out on 2 September, entitled Explorations: Through the Wormhole. [The story is called Dead Weight].

It's the best Chinese sci-fi short story I have ever written.

LOL. Does 'best' = 'only'? Just asking ...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,386
    MP_SE said:

JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

https://twitter.com/EuroGuido/status/767705150723063809

You could take all the UK medals off that figure and the EU would still be top and the UK not showing in the top 3.

Not that it isn't a ridiculous tweet.
    Ignoring the inclusion of the UK, I think the bigggest and most idiotic mistake was that IF the EU was a single country they would not be able to field anyway near the number of candidates the member states fielded. It would be safe to assume the total medal count would be significantly less.
    Except that logic suggests that in team sports, a team made up of the best of the EU should be stronger than a team from any one of its constituent nations?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    MP_SE said:

JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

You could take all the UK medals off that figure and the EU would still be top and the UK not showing in the top 3.

Ignoring the inclusion of the UK, I think the bigggest and most idiotic mistake was that IF the EU was a single country they would not be able to field anyway near the number of candidates the member states fielded. It would be safe to assume the total medal count would be significantly less.

And as you reduced it to the number of allowed candidates from the EU, you could not retrospectively assume only the winners would be the ones that would have gone to the games. So the medal tally would be reduced further.

• Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604

As it is, in 10 years time and possibly much sooner Italy will have gone the way of Greece barring an end to the single currency.

Define 'gone the way of Greece'? My version is 'forced to face up to their long-term problems whether they like it or not'.
    No, it's devaluation of a floating independent currency that forces a country to face up to their long-term problems. It's done automatically as financial markets reduce the relative value of wages and wealth paid/held in that country's currency. There are no long meetings or negotiations required to agree that, it just happens.

All the Euro does is to force a country such as Italy to avoid using the simplest and most comprehensive mechanism that will allow it to face up to or at least deal with its problems.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,126
    Scott_P said:

MP_SE said:

@GuidoFawkes: How the British Empire Beats the EU for Olympic Medals https://t.co/FKica8FdIA https://t.co/jRZYwezHUF
    Including areas that were never simultaneously part of the empire is far more ridiculous than the EU table.
  • Options

As it is, in 10 years time and possibly much sooner Italy will have gone the way of Greece barring an end to the single currency.

Define 'gone the way of Greece'? My version is 'forced to face up to their long-term problems whether they like it or not'.
    No, it's devaluation of a floating independent currency that forces a country to face up to their long-term problems. It's done automatically as financial markets reduce the relative value of wages and wealth paid/held in that country's currency. There are no long meetings or negotiations required to agree that, it just happens.
    So a trashy currency cures all economic ills? Who knew?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Llama, it's about two and a half thousand pixels by eighteen hundred.

Worth noting it's a trilogy, so most places are just on the map rather than visited in the story in book 1.

Mr. T/Miss JGP, and thus was have reaffirmed both the honesty of myself and the excellence of my writing :D
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059

All the Euro does is to force a country such as Italy to avoid using the simplest and most comprehensive mechanism that will allow it to face up to or at least deal with its problems.

There market, of course, does not always play ball.

Italy runs a sizeable current account surplus, so it's entirely possible that - like Japan - it works end up with a stronger currency than their government would like.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    IanB2 said:

MP_SE said:

JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

Except that logic suggests that in team sports, a team made up of the best of the EU should be stronger than a team from any one of its constituent nations?
    No, because cohesion and team spirit and language barriers and training logistics and a million and one other things. Look at the body language of both the winners and the losers after the hockey - no supranational team would have looked or behaved anything like that.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

the proper map for Kingdom Asunder is too big to include in the book

Is that because, like the hero of "I, the Supreme" (dictator José Gaspar Rodríguez de Francia), you ordered a 1:1 scale map?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604

It's a much better option than continuing to order caviar when you can only afford baked beans. Or stalling the car rather than changing down a gear.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Ishmael_X said:

IanB2 said:

MP_SE said:

JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

No, because cohesion and team spirit and language barriers and training logistics and a million and one other things. Look at the body language of both the winners and the losers after the hockey - no supranational team would have looked or behaved anything like that.
    If there were an EU team, they would presumably train together for 4 years and build team spirit etc, rather than just be thrown together for the olympics?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Reports of a machete attack in Brussels.

twitter.com/Independent/status/767754193985757185
  • Options
    Mr. T, alas, no.

I wanted a moderately detailed map of a whole kingdom (it's still just major cities, mountain ranges etc, though) to help me with consistency. The map for Journey to Altmortis only had about six places on it. This has over 30, not including castles.

Including it in the book would make the details too small to make out, so I'll chop the most relevant bit (the Mere) and include that. Assuming I can actually format an Open Office document for self-publication....
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    IanB2 said:

MP_SE said:

JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

The EU has a poor track record when it comes to decision making, targeted funding, etc., so I cannot see it working.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

IanB2 said:

MP_SE said:

JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

If there were an EU team, they would presumably train together for 4 years and build team spirit etc, rather than just be thrown together for the olympics?
    As much as the EU loves the EU, it is never going to replace national teams. That would probably destroy it!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

https://www.rt.com/news/356750-brussels-stabbing-attack-woman/

Police sources have told RTBF that the woman was Asian and had a history of mental illness. Investigators do not currently believe that this was a terrorist incident.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

IanB2 said:

MP_SE said:

JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

Up to a point, but think of the logistics of getting together for training sessions. Big place these days, the EU.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Pulpstar said:

Don is very good at providing articles showing why it would be good for the Labour Party if Smith were to win (or, at least, Corbyn to lose). But:

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride
    If turnips were swords I'd have one by my side.

@Malcolmg Would have a whole army :o
    Fire up the Massey Ferguson
  • Options

MP_SE said:

JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

And as you reduced it to the number of allowed candidates from the EU, you could not retrospectively assume only the winners would be the ones that would have gone to the games. So the medal tally would be reduced further.

One also wonders whether the athletes selected to represent the EU would owe their selection to politics rather than ability.
  • Options
    Mr. JS, sad to hear, yet not surprising.

Mr. Glenn, of course not. I imagine her name was David.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Police sources have told RTBF that the woman was Asian and had a history of mental illness. Investigators do not currently believe that this was a terrorist incident.
    Woman known locally as Marie.
  • Options
    I see the pound is up against the euro today. Must be all that South American gold.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    Evening all,

Just catching up. Seems the arrival of ballot papers has let the furies loose across Labour. This from an MP:

@TomBlenkinsop
    Just had corbynite from Warrington phone my office & threaten to "punch your f***ing face in" to a member of my staff @GentlerPolitics
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

IanB2 said:

MP_SE said:

JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

Up to a point, but think of the logistics of getting together for training sessions. Big place these days, the EU.
    There would be decades of bickering over where to base the training grounds. They would most probably go with multiple locations with all the equipment moved back and forth by train which ends up wasting tens of millions of euros and disrupting the athletes training.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

MP_SE said:

JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

One also wonders whether the athletes selected to represent the EU would owe their selection to politics rather than ability.
    One hardly even has to wonder that. One certainly doesn't have to wonder whether the selectors will be selected politically.

The tweet invites the reponse: so are you proposing an EU team at Tokyo, and if not why not?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

It's a much better option than continuing to order caviar when you can only afford baked beans. Or stalling the car rather than changing down a gear.
    Sounds like a clear acknowledgement that the UK is a baked beans economy - and some want to damage it even more by leaving the single market completely.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

AndyJS said:

As the cases build up, ISTM that a new category is needed. These individuals with mental health problems who are radicalised may not count as terrorists themselves, but they have surely been turned into weapons by terrorists?
  • Options
    Miss JGP, they're the modern equivalent of cannon fodder. Still in the enemy 'army', mind.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Mr. Llama, it's about two and a half thousand pixels by eighteen hundred.

Worth noting it's a trilogy, so most places are just on the map rather than visited in the story in book 1.

Mr. T/Miss JGP, and thus was have reaffirmed both the honesty of myself and the excellence of my writing :D

Spoken to my mate about this problem and he suggested a solution, one of these modern projectors - fag packet size, about fifty quid from amazon and will project from a mobile phone. Use the projector to put the map onto the ceiling and turn on/off as needed. Quite a neat answer, I thought. Going to make you book sodding expensive, but better than being figuratively lost in the narrative.

So do carry on with your plan Mr. Dancer.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, probably more sensible to print off a map :p

Also, do get back to me with an answer about the cropped maps I sent you.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Mr. Llama, probably more sensible to print off a map :p

Also, do get back to me with an answer about the cropped maps I sent you.

Mr. D, I sent you an answer weeks ago.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    Pulpstar said:

Sorry this is just like "Not Trump" for the Labour party.

Corbyn: 16 mentions
    Smith: 5.

What is actually good about OWEN SMITH.

That's what I'd want to know if I was a Labour member with a ballot.

Yep. The section of the PLP that is weighing in - far from the mjority who signed the no-confidence motion - is barely bothering to campaign positively for Smith, and as some here have said see him as a staging post to a centrist leader later on. Their whole effort has been marked by cynicism, from the attempt to keep ~Corbyn off the ballot to the disenfranchisement of 20% of the members - and if Smith were to win there is a real risk that it would be seen by many members as an illegitimate stitch-up and a prolonged internal feud would follow.

I agree with Don that the Khan intervention will help Smith and that the result will be closer than it looked two weeks ago. But I've yet to meet a single member of any wing who is positively enthused by the challenge (I know several centrists who plan not to vote at all), and I think that will make him fall short by a reasonable margin - 53-47 or 54-46.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

MTimT said:

AndyJS said:

As the cases build up, ISTM that a new category is needed. These individuals with mental health problems who are radicalised may not count as terrorists themselves, but they have surely been turned into weapons by terrorists?
    Indeed. But, snide comments like mine aside, there is also another explanation for such acts, that of seeing one example as being 'permission' to do the same. Some while ago in there was a suicide over unrequited love in a Pacific island with no particular history of suicide. Over the coming years, there was something of an epidemic of lovesick suicides. The index case was later assessed both to have planted the idea and to have convinced other youngsters that this was acceptable practice, giving them 'permission'. I think there is an element of that too in the high school shootings in the US, i.e. those that followed Columbine.

Can't quite put my hands on the references.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, odd. Can't see it anywhere. If you could just send me a quick Vanilla message, I'd be grateful.

[Now and then the e-mail filter can be over the top. I even had a reply to an e-mail I sent diverted into a spam folder, but I have checked there for your reply and found nothing].

Ahem, sorry for this diversion, everyone.

In more relevant news, the first markets for Spa are up on Ladbrokes.

Verstappen and Ricciardo 11 to win. Hmm.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,986
    Huh, I thought this had been put on the back burner:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/22/new-british-bill-of-rights-will-not-be-scrapped-insists-liz-trus/

On the EU parliament tweet. No longer just a 'random' PR company doing it, is it? I swear they posted that just to annoy us...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    MTimT said:

AnneJGP said:

MTimT said:

AndyJS said:

Indeed. But, snide comments like mine aside, there is also another explanation for such acts, that of seeing one example as being 'permission' to do the same. Some while ago in there was a suicide over unrequited love in a Pacific island with no particular history of suicide. Over the coming years, there was something of an epidemic of lovesick suicides. The index case was later assessed both to have planted the idea and to have convinced other youngsters that this was acceptable practice, giving them 'permission'. I think there is an element of that too in the high school shootings in the US, i.e. those that followed Columbine.

Can't quite put my hands on the references.
    There's this more recent phenomenon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/canada-indigenous-suicide-crisis_us_570e78e5e4b03d8b7b9f173a
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,512
    JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

Some federalists in the EU will, no doubt, see that as a sign of the strength of the EU, but, actually, it's indicative of that of the sovereign nation states of Europe.

If the same European athletes were all competing under the EU flag, with federal EU institutions funding and developing sport, I doubt performance would at the Olympics would match anything like that, nor would the crowds, support and passion be there in the same levels behind them.

Europe's strength is its national diversity.

• Options
    God, what a half wit, conflating the Commonwealth with the Empire. From a government whip too.

https://twitter.com/HeatherWheeler/status/767756321219379201
  • Options
    edited August 2016

God, what a half wit, conflating the Commonwealth with the Empire. From a government whip too.

twitter.com/HeatherWheeler/status/767756321219379201

Well most former Empire countries are in the Commonwealth, so it isn't totally wrong. I'm sure Sunil can let us know which sorry countries have yet to apply :p
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, halfwit is one word.

:p
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,197

Well that's what you get when you select candidates on the basis of them having ovaries.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Does she really still include the Thirteen Colonies coloured in pink on her map???
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

Yes, a good point. The EU is certainly not any stronger than it was 15 years ago, despite all the integration.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Well most former Empire countries are in the Commonwealth, so it isn't totally wrong. I'm sure Sunil can let us know which sorry countries have yet to apply :p
    This is PB. Of course she can be totally wrong. Goddammit man, we can't let standards slide and let some Conservative numpty conflate the Commonwealth with the Empire. We'd be no better than the Labour party.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Interesting discussion on ESPN today about the top US sports brands that are popular even when they're in a down cycle, and when they get good, they explode to the most popular team in their sport.

The NBA has 2 - Lakers and Celtics.
    Baseball has 1 - the Yankees
    College football has 1 - Notre Dame
    College basketball has 1 - Duke
    NFL has 3 - Packers, Steelers and Cowboys.

The Cowboys have been irrelevant for years and still are the most valuable franchise.

There are other franchises who are close but these are the top 8.
  • Options

Does she really still include the Thirteen Colonies coloured in pink on her map???
    That's Guido's map. And it's from the anachronistic map of the Empire on the wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    RobD said:

I think there are members of the British Commonwealth that were never part of the Empire per se, they just asked to join for the company.

Re: Wheeler, silly mistake by one who should know better.
  • Options

The rumor is that Britain wants the US back as a colony. They have conquered Major League Soccer already :smile:
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,402
    Just seen Finding Dory.

For an "it's not supposed to be a children's film" film it was super-disappointing.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,616

JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

Some federalists in the EU will, no doubt, see that as a sign of the strength of the EU, but, actually, it's indicative of that of the sovereign nation states of Europe.

If the same European athletes were all competing under the EU flag, with federal EU institutions funding and developing sport, I doubt performance would at the Olympics would match anything like that, nor would the crowds, support and passion be there in the same levels behind them.

Well the EU "country" would be subject the entry limits so they'd only be able send ~500 athletes vs ~3500 for the combined 28 nations. That alone would reduce the number of medals. Take the men's eight rowers, we won gold and Germany won silver, that's two medals which converts to one after turning the 28 nations into a single one.

Additionally, there would be far too much politics involved in team selection. Every country/region would want a quota which means the ~500 or so best athletes across the continent wouldn't necessarily get picked.

It's a terrible idea and you're right, Europe's (not the EU) strength is national diversity and varying cultures. The straight jacket of the EU is stifling creativity and innovation.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

The rumor is that Britain wants the US back as a colony. They have conquered Major League Soccer already :smile:
    It's nice to see the Brexit MPs working hard to preserve the Special Relationship... between the US and France.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It's a terrible idea and you're right, Europe's (not the EU) strength is national diversity and varying cultures. The straight jacket of the EU is stifling creativity and innovation.

It's a straight jacket that seems to impinge on the mind rather than the body, of some at least.

For the majority, the efforts of the EU to harmonise things creates a net decrease in the amount of government interference they need to worry about.
  • Options
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

Yes, a good point. The EU is certainly not any stronger than it was 15 years ago, despite all the integration.
    The EU is weaker than it has ever been because the eurocrats want to force their ideas onto the people. Brexit was a reaction to that, and Italy's rejection of their constitutional referendum will also be partly a reaction to the EU. The EU is loathed across the continent, people accept it because it is economically beneficial, as soon as that stops being the case the EU will fall apart. Italy is the most interesting case. Banks that they are unable to recapitalise in the same way Germany did, a currency far too strong for them and stagnation all around.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It's a straight jacket that seems to impinge on the mind rather than the body, of some at least.

For the majority, the efforts of the EU to harmonise things creates a net decrease in the amount of government interference they need to worry about.
    Harmonisation means regulation. That is not a decrease in government intervention, it is an increase.
  • Options
    Just received an email from Amazon Prime advertising their pilot season.

One show that caught my eye is called "I LOVE DICK" which I naturally assumed to be a porn show. Apparently it's not, but a 'feminist novel' adaptation starring Kevin Bacon, from whom I am either zero or 1 degree separated (I've met him, but don't know the game rules).
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

One show that caught my eye is called "I LOVE DICK" which I naturally assumed to be a porn show. Apparently it's not, but a 'feminist novel' adaptation starring Kevin Bacon, from whom I am either zero or 1 degree separated (I've met him, but don't know the game rules).

I believe having met him is one degree of separation. Zero degrees would mean that you ARE Kevin Bacon.
  • Options
    I thought orginal game wasn't if you met him, it was getting from any actor to him via movies people had worked together on?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

It's like when Michael Jackson declared himself a fan of Free Willy, and one's reaction was: surely he can afford to pay for it?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Interesting discussion on ESPN today about the top US sports brands that are popular even when they're in a down cycle, and when they get good, they explode to the most popular team in their sport.

The Cowboys have been irrelevant for years and still are the most valuable franchise.

I am surprised the Red Sox don't make that list of franchises that are supported through the lean years. Of course, they have a very limited upside, being from Boston.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

I believe having met him is one degree of separation. Zero degrees would mean that you ARE Kevin Bacon.
    If I was Kevin Bacon I'd be married to Kyra Sedgwick, not the sort of thing one tends to forget. Also I would have got ripped off millions by Bernie Madoff, also memorable.

So one degree it is.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

weejonnie said:

John_M said:

Am I alone in wishing our EU27 neighbours a resoundingly successful conclusion to EMU, a thriving economy and healthy markets? I'm jolly keen on trading with them.

No - but wishing won't change the facts on the ground (Unless you are a Corbyn Supporter)
    I think I'd rather be right than happy any day. Sadly, I fear the EU27 are only locking themselves into an every tighter spiral of endless crisis and decline.
    We can't and shouldn't rely on them getting their act together
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Tim_B said:

It's like when Michael Jackson declared himself a fan of Free Willy, and one's reaction was: surely he can afford to pay for it?
    I "visited" ie drove through Gary, Indiana his home town last year. It was an eye opening experience to say the least.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,512

I do.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I thought orginal game wasn't if you met him, it was getting from any actor to him via movies people had worked together on?

In Mathematics we have the Erdős number which predates Bacon. I was fortunate enough to work with people with an Erdos number of 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdős_number
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

I am surprised the Red Sox don't make that list of franchises that are supported through the lean years. Of course, they have a very limited upside, being from Boston.
    The Red Sox, like most baseball franchises except the Yankees, has regional rather than national appeal, though the BoSox are one of the bigger ones. The Diamondbacks, the Padres or the Indians could win the world series 3 times in a row and nobody would care.
  • Options
    I see panorama is back to BBC favourite ......TORY CUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTS
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Tim_B said:

There was a strong rumor that BOYZIIMEN was a delivery service for Michael...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    John_M said:

MP_SE said:

As I said at the time, at least they're not pretending they don't want a USE any longer. Flushed 'em out, we have.
    Setting themselves up for a big decline next time round...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    No surprise - Speedo have dropped their sponsorship of Ryan Lochte, and so has Ralph Lauren. More to come I suspect.

My favorite comment was someone saying that the whole Lochte affair was "Loch Mess"
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    By the way, for those intereted in format - Labour members etc. with a vote on email have received a statement form the two candidates (nothing remarkable in either) plus a picture and a list of CLPs and unions etc. that have endorsed each, with a personalised two-part code for electronic voting - the same system as used for the NEC elections. It all looks scrupulously netural.

We've been getting emailed canvassing letters from both from the same central party address for some weeks, and I've been canvassed by the Corbyn team by phone. Haven't had anything by post from either.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    JonathanD said:

MP_SE said:

What they ought to do though is to strip out those competitors who wouldn't have been sent if USE were a single country.

Of course you can't do this just on merit, as you need to achieve a suitable regional and ethnic balance.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Tim_B said:

No surprise - Speedo have dropped their sponsorship of Ryan Lochte. More to come I suspect.

My favorite comment was someone saying that the whole Lochte affair was "Loch Mess"

Ha!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,386

I see the pound is up against the euro today. Must be all that South American gold.

I believe that the gold medals are made almost entirely of silver
  • Options
    Mr. B2, indeed. Better to have smaller medals made of the real metal, but there we are.

Anyway, time for me to be off.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yes, they are gilded. Very lame.
  • Options
    BBC - Ryan Lochte: Speedo and Ralph Lauren end sponsorship.

I was wondering what punishment would befit Lochte’s behaviour in Rio. His pocket appears to be the first recipient, which seems fitting. And now for the IOC's turn...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

Wouldn't a solid gold medal be prohibitively expensive?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited August 2016

Just putting this out there. pic.twitter.com/BCygRMQaFw

— Richard Kadrey (@Richard_Kadrey) 21 August 2016
  • Options

I was wondering what punishment would befit Lochte’s behaviour in Rio. His pocket appears to be the first recipient, which seems fitting. And now for the IOC's turn...

He's apparently been suspended for 6 events. As ESPN said, can anybody name any swim events?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

No surprise - Speedo have dropped their sponsorship of Ryan Lochte, and so has Ralph Lauren. More to come I suspect.

What an idiot.

"Ryan Lochte Could Lose $10 MILLION In Endorsement Deals Over His Rio Robbery Lie!"

http://perezhilton.com/2016-08-19-rio-olympics-ryan-lochte-robbery-lie-10-million-dollar-loss#.V7tA1TWod5Q
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

The Paralympics medals will probably be hand-coloured cardboard, made by a bunch of school kids.

If they can be arsed to find the school kids.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Tim_B said:

What an idiot.

"Ryan Lochte Could Lose $10 MILLION In Endorsement Deals Over His Rio Robbery Lie!"

http://perezhilton.com/2016-08-19-rio-olympics-ryan-lochte-robbery-lie-10-million-dollar-loss#.V7tA1TWod5Q
    What an idiot.

Pretty much everyone who knows him (among TV sports folks) has said that Lochte is not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

I see panorama is back to BBC favourite ......TORY CUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTS

Made worse by Brexit no doubt, no matter how spurious the link.....
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

RobD said:

I think there are members of the British Commonwealth that were never part of the Empire per se, they just asked to join for the company.

Mozambique and Rwanda have both joined the Commonwealth, despite not being in the Empire.
  • Options

RobD said:

Mozambique and Rwanda have both joined the Commonwealth, despite not being in the Empire.
    Maybe they made a value judgment that it's easier to medal in the Commonwealth games than the Olympics.

It's scary to think that the two biggest sporting events in the world: Olympics and World Cup, are both run by bunches of crooks: the IOC and FIFA.
  • Options
    One more problem with the Olympics which I've not seen mentioned much but wasn't the weather rather crap - several days of it pissing down, some days too windy for rowing and other days too windless for sailing.

I'm not sure if this is normal for Rio or whether it was bad luck.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Maybe they made a value judgment that it's easier to medal in the Commonwealth games than the Olympics.

It's scary to think that the two biggest sporting events in the world: Olympics and World Cup, are both run by bunches of crooks: the IOC and FIFA.
    Please don't use "medal" as a verb. The correct expression is of course "it's easier to podium in the Commonwealth games..."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,124

Saying English speaking countries rather than British Empire is much more effective (and it includes the US unlike the Commonwealth)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

He's apparently been suspended for 6 events. As ESPN said, can anybody name any swim events?
    Phelps got suspended for 6 months for DUI...
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Please don't use "medal" as a verb. The correct expression is of course "it's easier to podium in the Commonwealth games..."
    Thanks for dialoging with me on that.....
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Human face of the PLP

Tom Blenkinsop ‏@TomBlenkinsop 22h22 hours ago
    Corbynites,momentum & the rest of the hard-left,get out of the people's party.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

You can fix behavioral problems, as Phelps has done to his credit. Lochte's problem is you can't fix stupid.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Human face of the PLP

Tom Blenkinsop ‏@TomBlenkinsop 22h22 hours ago
    Corbynites,momentum & the rest of the hard-left,get out of the people's party

Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84 11h11 hours ago
    The only thing that needs to get out of the people's party is this attitude

Tom BlenkinsopVerified account
    @TomBlenkinsop Tom Blenkinsop Retweeted Owen Jones
    What an idiot Owen Jones is.
  • Options

RobD said:

Cheers Dr Fox, I knew I’d read something about it. – Makes perfect sense for Mozambique and Rwanda to do so as there are many African nations already involved and they get a chance to meet other Leaders (while chaperoned) - plus they get to meet HMG. :lol:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited August 2016
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

You can fix behavioral problems, as Phelps has done to his credit. Lochte's problem is you can't fix stupid.
    I remember accidentally seeing the reality show they did with him....stupid is a very kind way of putting it....its a good job swimming pools are straight and have defined lanes otherwise he is sure to get lost.
This discussion has been closed.