Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Important to remember that the role of CON MPs is to decide

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I wonder if Leadsom might call it a day before tomorrow's vote.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    @Mike I agree; I can't she why she would want to publish her last four tax returns and then lose anyway?. Particularly if she gets an offer of a job from May.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    What do we know about the other halves of the candidates? I know about Gove's but not Leadsom nor much about May. Dennis was a huge influence on Maggie. That sort of thing matters but is often overlooked.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,418
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Is it true that Thursday's vote is cancelled?

Source?
    The view on conhome seemed to be that people dropping out doesn't necessarily accelerate the process and they have decided to allow more time for campaigning and vote again next Tuesday. It surprised me - it was only in the comments section so may only be one person's opinion, but no-one there challenged it as wrong.

Since the member ballot dates have already been published, it may be right, however.
    Wishful thinking I'd guess. Brady announced the vote. It wouldn't look good to amend it. Timetable has been clear from the off.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,726
    edited July 2016

She's finding out - as did the Lib Dems in 2010 - that moving centre stage brings much more scrutiny. It can be uncomfortable - especially when found out over-egging the pudding....
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

With this extreme scrutiny that's entirely possible Mike .... but I wonder if she'll wait until the result puts her into the final ballot but vastly behind May .... something on the lines of :

"With Theresa May enjoying the vast majority of the support of colleagues and having taken soundings from members it's clear that Theresa has the confidence of those members. Accordingly and to avoid further uncertainty I shall withdraw from the members ballot.

We know need to got on with the business of government and the important task of BREXIT, in which I hope to play a prominent roll.

Thank you to those who supported me .... blah blah blah ...."
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    JackW said:

With this extreme scrutiny that's entirely possible Mike .... but I wonder if she'll wait until the result puts her into the final ballot but vastly behind May .... something on the lines of :

"With Theresa May enjoying the vast majority of the support of colleagues and having taken soundings from members it's clear that Theresa has the confidence of those members. Accordingly and to avoid further uncertainty I shall withdraw from the members ballot.

We know need to got on with the business of government and the important task of BREXIT, in which I hope to play a prominent roll.

I therefore will not be publishing my tax returns.....

And then we can all (sic) enjoy the spectacle of Arron Banks head exploding.....
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

IanB2 said:

£=$1.28 ! Shit that is low.

But....but....but....that Titan of Finance "with 30 years of experience" said it wouldn't....

Are you talking about the woman who did HR on the fringes of the City?

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

IanB2 said:

But....but....but....that Titan of Finance "with 30 years of experience" said it wouldn't....

Did anyone actually stop to ask PB Tories? I hear they have quite a good track record (infallibility comes to mind...) :D
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

And then we can all (sic) enjoy the spectacle of Arron Banks head exploding.....

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment ...

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Given that the Tories are going to be in power for many years to come whoever they choose as their leader, we just have to hope that they are thinking about the country as they vote. None of the candidates is particularly attractive, but the psychotic Gove and Andrea Mitty would be disastrous for the country - hugely divisive at home and abroad, and very unlikely to get us the kind of Brexit deal we need. If Tory members really are concerned about doing the best for the ordinary voters who delivered Leave its victory then May - who did not make entirely fictional, irresponsible (untrue) promises about £350 million extra week for the NHS, other public spending increases, tax cuts, cheaper housing and higher wages - is surely the only option.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

And worked for her sister's husband?

Yep, that one.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

And worked for her sister's husband?

Yep, that one.

Andrea Mitty. Frightening. Genuinely frightening.

• Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

Given that the Tories are going to be in power for many years to come whoever they choose as their leader, we just have to hope that they are thinking about the country as they vote. None of the candidates is particularly attractive, but the psychotic Gove and Andrea Mitty would be disastrous for the country - hugely divisive at home and abroad, and very unlikely to get us the kind of Brexit deal we need. If Tory members really are concerned about doing the best for the ordinary voters who delivered Leave its victory then May - who did not make entirely fictional, irresponsible (untrue) promises about £350 million extra week for the NHS, other public spending increases, tax cuts, cheaper housing and higher wages - is surely the only option.

I think from a politically strategic point of view, anyone associated with Vote Leave is bad product. I still want a thatcherite after May, but now is not the right time.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    There is a lot of mud being thrown at Andrea Leadsom. How the hell did she become an MP in the first place? Do the Tories not do due diligence on their candidates?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    tlg86 said:

There is a lot of mud being thrown at Andrea Leadsom. How the hell did she become an MP in the first place? Do the Tories not do due diligence on their candidates?

Don't worry its by the same people in the tory Remain campaign, the members know what is happening they are not stupid.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,418
    tlg86 said:

Well she was a rejected finalist in my home seat. Nobody has ever regretted the choice we made and ive always pitied South Northants for getting lumbered. I assume she dropped her major selling point from our selection process which went down like a cup of cold sick.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I've not been keeping up with the Tory leadership election, but why should criticism of Leadsom's previous words affect the membership ballot?

Jezza had thirty odd years of a past history and very odd it was too, but he won handsomely.

Plus she was on the right side of the Referendum for them.

Excuse my ignorance, but May seems a compromise candidate. The Sadiq Khan of the Tories - no real principles and happy to fit her intentions to whatever it takes to be elected.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited July 2016
    Hmm!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/05/top-labour-donor-offers-rebels-millions-to-defect-and-start-new/

The businessman and owner of Hull City football club said he is ready to fund a “Gang of Four” style defection, a reference to when senior Labour figures dramatically quit the party to create the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in 1981.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    CD13 said:

Excuse my ignorance, but May seems a compromise candidate. The Sadiq Khan of the Tories - no real principles and happy to fit her intentions to whatever it takes to be elected.

Describing her as a liberal centrist would seem a bit of stretch given her disgracefully illiberal views on policing, surveillance etc. Her record on immigration isnt just incompetent either, her department has actively moved to make life easier for illegal immigrants crossing our borders whilst making it considerably harder for lawful applicants appeared at embassies and consulates with complete documentation.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

JackW said:

And then we can all (hic) enjoy the spectacle of Arron Banks head exploding....

*burp*
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488

IanB2 said:

This one

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/750452939517464576
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    I am no fan of May, in particular her authoritarian streak, but she seems to be a sensible person who doesn't do hyperbole and is not inclined to tell porkies, unlike Camborne. At this critical time for the UK, she is the obvious "safe pair of hands". Hopefully, she will get well over 200 vote from Tory MPs on Thursday with more than 3 times the number of votes than her nearest rival and the other 2 appalling candidates will withdraw from the race.

A new PM can then be installed and A50 invoked by the autumn, allowing sufficient time to work out what the UK's negotiating position should be. The EU goes on holiday over the summer so they are unlikely to require their black sheep (the UK) to state its position until September at the earliest.

I expect the EU to play hardball and treat the UK like Russia, as the enemy beyond Brest. The EU might also conspire with secessionist movements in the Celtic fringes (Scotland, NI) to undermine the UK's integrity and play on the theme of "England's misfortune, Ireland's/Scotland's opportunity", as happened in previous eras.
  • Options
    The Times claims Leadsom has no experience as an investment banker because she didn't manage money. Investment bankers don't manage money. They sort out things like mergers and IPOs. The Times, supposedly the paper of big business, does not know the difference between investment banking and investment management. What a joke of a newspaper.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    GBP fell to $1.2798 in Asian trading.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36721016

#bregret
    #bridiot
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    daodao said:

I am no fan of May, in particular her authoritarian streak, but she seems to be a sensible person who doesn't do hyperbole and is not inclined to tell porkies, unlike Camborne. At this critical time for the UK, she is the obvious "safe pair of hands". Hopefully, she will get well over 200 vote from Tory MPs on Thursday with more than 3 times the number of votes than her nearest rival and the other 2 appalling candidates will withdraw from the race.

A new PM can then be installed and A50 invoked by the autumn, allowing sufficient time to work out what the UK's negotiating position should be. The EU goes on holiday over the summer so they are unlikely to require their black sheep (the UK) to state its position until September at the earliest.

I expect the EU to play hardball and treat the UK like Russia, as the enemy beyond Brest. The EU might also conspire with secessionist movements in the Celtic fringes (Scotland, NI) to undermine the UK's integrity and play on the theme of "England's misfortune, Ireland's/Scotland's opportunity", as happened in previous eras.

Let's blame the EU for all UK's woes...
  • Options

The Times claims Leadsom has no experience as an investment banker because she didn't manage money. Investment bankers don't manage money. They sort out things like mergers and IPOs. The Times, supposedly the paper of big business, does not know the difference between investment banking and investment management. What a joke of a newspaper.

Isn't the point that she was back office, regardless? And her last big employer was Invesco which is an investment manager. I believe she worked in corporate governance which, again, is back office.

Bernard Jenkin - never the sharpest tool in the box - certainly hasn't done her any favours in suggesting she was responsible for massive amounts of money and huge teams of people.
  • Options
    nunu said:

tlg86 said:

Don't worry its by the same people in the tory Remain campaign, the members know what is happening they are not stupid.
    The Tory Remain campaign have shown they have more loyalty to the Remain campaign than the Tory party. It is one thing to have an open debate, but whispering campaigns and leaks to the press are taking it too far. They are trying to inflict maximum damage on someone with a serious chance of being the next leader, hurting the party in the process. It is dispicable.
  • Options

TBH, The Times is still in Remain campaigning mode. I'm looking forward to them regaining their balance.

Danny Fink has penned the most risible article today - he's produced a few thin contributions in succession, but he's really scraping the barrel this morning.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    murali_s said:

#bregret
    #bridiot

Yes, we know you enjoy gloating about it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    daodao said:

I don't think the secessionist thing is likely, because many European governments (particularly the Spanish) don't want to encourage their own provinces...
  • Options
    So with the trashing of Leadsom, I think we can safely assume that the May camp won't be lending Gove any votes. They would clearly rather fight Andrea than Michael, who has a track record of destroying the reputations of his colleagues. If he thought Boris was bad, Lord alone knows what he is going to tell the members about Remainer May during weeks and weeks of the campaign....

His approach seems to be "I cannot win, but I sure as Hell will make sure you lose." Which is not exactly what the Party needs right now.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    murali_s said:

#bregret
    #bridiot

so our exports are more competitive and there will be more demand for home producers

#brilliant
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

AndyJS said:
    She is scarcely in touch with her own reality - let alone the reality of this situation.

No-one knows anything about Leadsom. And when they do, they shy away from her.
    Distance can, it appears, give you firm views on British politics.
  • Options

She seems to have spent most of her time in HR and corporate governance. Do we know of any deals that she did?

• Options

The issue is that her CV claimed she was the Chief Investment Officer for a very large fund management company. A claim that appears a gross exaggeration.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,318
    re. Leadsom.

This doesn't necessarily do her in. Many might think that it confirms her position as the little guy having to play the games of the elite to get on. They might also think that it is proof if proof be needed how the elite conspires to get rid of those it doesn't like.

Bonkers, yes. Out there, yes. But these are the times we live in.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

#bregret
    #bridiot

The pound was very low during the mid-1980s, when we had spectacular economic growth. The sight of left wingers putting all their faith in financial markets, while not understanding the meaning of them, is a sight to behold.
  • Options
    Mr Indigo,

"Describing her as a liberal centrist would seem a bit of stretch."

I thought I was describing her as a populist. Liberal? No problems. Authoritarian? No problems.

A career politician in fact.

As a Remainer when it seemed likely to win, but likely to be more Leaver now that has won.

Mr Eagles, the pain will ease and you will embrace the concept of an independent UK soon.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Indigo,

I thought I was describing her as a populist. Liberal? No problems. Authoritarian? No problems.

As a Remainer when it seemed likely to win, but likely to be more Leaver now that has won.

Mr Eagles, the pain will ease and you will embrace the concept of an independent UK soon.

There is no pain. I'm loving it, plenty of opportunities professionally, plus SeanT's transformation into a mewling quim is another highlight.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The issue is that her CV claimed she was the Chief Investment Officer for a very large fund management company. A claim that appears a gross exaggeration.

To put it mildly.

And people seriously think she should be this country's Prime Minister.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

I don't think the secessionist thing is likely, because many European governments (particularly the Spanish) don't want to encourage their own provinces...
    yes I often think if we had a UK break up of the fun we could have recognising all and sundry since there would be nothing to stop recognising, Catalonia, Corsica, Basque Country, Flanders etc. we could be real pains. I could almost feel sorry for Junker :-)
  • Options

murali_s said:

#bregret
    #bridiot

The pound was very low during the mid-1980s, when we had spectacular economic growth. The sight of left wingers putting all their faith in financial markets, while not understanding the meaning of them, is a sight to behold.

Says the poster who does not understand the Times story.

• Options
    edited July 2016

murali_s said:

#bregret
    #bridiot

In the 1980s we had growth on the way out of a severe recession and political/industrial turmoil, which is how the currency got so low in the first place.

Whilst it's true that a low currency will make exports more competitive, claiming that this makes a falling £ brilliant news is looking at the silver lining and ignoring the cloud.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

To put it mildly.

Ed Miliband. Need I say more ?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296

rcs1000 said:

To put it mildly.

Sadly this is all too common. Remember IDS and his university course (which turned out to be a two-day residential)? Or Ed Miliband claiming he came from a normal background? Or Blair's inventive recreation of himself as a member of a miners' club?

Leadsom appears about typical. Corbyn of course is the most implausible of the lot, claiming he is sane and honourable.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Indigo,

There is no pain. I'm loving it, plenty of opportunities professionally, plus SeanT's transformation into a mewling quim is another highlight.
    are you on a different time zone or does the lager shed start at 6.00 am in Sheffield ? :-)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

To put it mildly.

Not sure what that has to do with putting an inexperienced fantasist in charge during a pivotal moment in this country's post-war history. Ed Miliband was rejected by the voters.

• Options

murali_s said:

#bregret
    #bridiot

ceteris paribus, sunshine, ceteris paribus. And ceteris ain't paribus.

We import plenty of from USD-denominated countries (mainly US & China) and including much of our energy needs, so the line "good for exports", although true, doesn't mean a low exchange rate is unambiguously good for the UK.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

To put it mildly.

Sadly this is all too common. Remember IDS and his university course (which turned out to be a two-day residential)? Or Ed Miliband claiming he came from a normal background? Or Blair's inventive recreation of himself as a member of a miners' club?

Leadsom appears about typical. Corbyn of course is the most implausible of the lot, claiming he is sane and honourable.
    Douglas Hurd claimed he was the son of a tenant farmer when that became very fashionable vs Major. He hoped no one would notice the peer, several knights, MPs etc that also made up his clan.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

yes I often think if we had a UK break up of the fun we could have recognising all and sundry since there would be nothing to stop recognising, Catalonia, Corsica, Basque Country, Flanders etc. we could be real pains. I could almost feel sorry for Junker :-)
    Cornwall?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

murali_s said:

#bregret
    #bridiot

In the 1980s we had growth on the way out of a severe recession and political/industrial turmoil, which is how the currency got so low in the first place.

Whilst it's true that a low currency will make exports more competitive, claiming that this makes a falling £ brilliant news is looking at the silver lining and ignoring the cloud.
    Also, the miners strike
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

murali_s said:

#bregret
    #bridiot

ceteris paribus, sunshine, ceteris paribus. And ceteris ain't paribus.

We import plenty of from USD-denominated countries (mainly US & China) and including much of our energy needs, so the line "good for exports", although true, doesn't mean a low exchange rate is unambiguously good for the UK.
    Particularly since nowadays a lot of things we export have components that we import.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

murali_s said:

#bregret
    #bridiot

Unfortunately, we do not have enough companies that export to make the most of the falling pound. Anecdotally, what we are seeing are hiring freezes and investment delays. That does not indicate a march of the makers. What the falling pound will definitely mean is much higher prices - for commodities and in the shops.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Conservative voters are just decoration the same as Labour members and an election is a waste of money.A coronation is much more preferable so I can stop waiting to get paid out my winnings.Can the Tory party get on with it please.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

To put it mildly.

Not sure what that has to do with putting an inexperienced fantasist in charge during a pivotal moment in this country's post-war history. Ed Miliband was rejected by the voters.

Ed Miliband was the labour party's candidate for PM and he had less experience than Leadsom. On all levels Leadsom has done more.

I really dont care that much who wins the vote, but this simply shows we have allowed ourselves to be governed by clowns and media whores. There's hardly a serious politicians left in the country.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    PlatoSaid said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

To put it mildly.

Douglas Hurd claimed he was the son of a tenant farmer when that became very fashionable vs Major. He hoped no one would notice the peer, several knights, MPs etc that also made up his clan.
    Then of course there was Viscount Stansgate, Anthony Wedgwood Benn. Sorry - 'Tony Benn'.
  • Options

murali_s said:

#bregret
    #bridiot

Says the poster who is incapable of understanding one can accept the point of a story while condemning a supposed business paper for not knowing the difference between basic financial sectors.
  • Options
    Anyhow I thought that today is Chilcot Day and therefore an OFFICIAL DAY OFF from all comment and speculation about party leaderships?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

murali_s said:

#bregret
    #bridiot

Unfortunately, we do not have enough companies that export to make the most of the falling pound. Anecdotally, what we are seeing are hiring freezes and investment delays. That does not indicate a march of the makers. What the falling pound will definitely mean is much higher prices - for commodities and in the shops.

In that case stop prattling on here and get out and sell more ! :-)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

To put it mildly.

Sane and honourable are assessments, rather than facts. To be fair to Blair, it would be pretty daft to be a Labour MP in Co Durham and NOT be/become a member of at least one WMC.

Anyway what is a “normal” background? A bit like a commodity trader accusing others of never having had a "proper job".
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

Cornwall?
    I look forward to Prime Minister Sean knowing he'll invade Devon one night when he's pissed. :-)
  • Options

Conservative voters are just decoration the same as Labour members and an election is a waste of money.A coronation is much more preferable so I can stop waiting to get paid out my winnings.Can the Tory party get on with it please.

Heartily disagree. Coronations are just awful. They give the *winner* no legitimacy. I really can't understand the rush, unless those backing the current leader think they'll lose ground. Recess begins on 22nd July.

Each Party has rules and should stick to them.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

CD13 said:

Mr Indigo,

are you on a different time zone or does the lager shed start at 6.00 am in Sheffield ? :-)
    It's Eid, so I'm in a grumpy mood, I'm going to spend most of the day with my mum and dad's friends, who are going to suggest various arranged marriages for me.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

David Cameron said he would hand over the reins in three months. Would a coronation lead to immediate change or just more of a muddle while we wait for our winnings?
  • Options
    HenryGMansonHenryGManson Posts: 149
    ***Tennis bet*** For Wimbledon fans I thought you might be interested to know I am backing QUERREY to beat Raonic in the quarter-final today. QUERREY beat world number one Djokovic in Round 3 over 2 days and followed it up with a very tidy straight sets win against grass specialist Mahut. In this latest match his serving was impeccable winning 48 out of 50 points in which his first serve went in (96%). I would have been human for QUERREY to drop his form and concentration after beating Djokovic but instead he did the business against a player who had beaten him on grass only a few weeks ago.

Raonic took 5 sets to beat 11th seed Goffin but he came back from 2 sets down which is impressive. In that match Raonic only won 79% of first serves and made a few too many unforced errors for my liking. Both QUERREY and Raonic have won a tournament each this year and QUERREY leads 2-1 in their head-to-head meetings, though Raonic won their most recent encounter in 2013. Raonic comes in better form prior to the tournament, but QUERREY has played better in the tournament.

Raonic is ranked higher but there's very little in it for this match. I'd make QUERREY 5/6 or 10/11 favourite. The 3/1 with William Hills and Corals is therefore excellent value (31/10 current available with Boyle Sports). You should also back Raonic to win 3-2 in sets to provide added insurance at 11/2. This is available with Hills, Labdrokes and Paddy Power. Expect to see lots of aces and tight sets with probably a couple of tie-breakers. A few loose points here and there will settle it. It's a very good price for a coin toss. Match due to start at 1pm.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Indigo,

It's Eid, so I'm in a grumpy mood.
    That's because you're an idiot. You should be spending this month in Antartica with the contents of an M&S food mall.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

To put it mildly.

Ed Miliband was the labour party's candidate for PM and he had less experience than Leadsom. On all levels Leadsom has done more.

I really dont care that much who wins the vote, but this simply shows we have allowed ourselves to be governed by clowns and media whores. There's hardly a serious politicians left in the country.
    A "serious politician" is someone who has some experience to bring to Westminster from their dealings in some other sphere. Someone who wants to go into politics aged 21 (probably having dreamt of being a SPAD since they were six) should be whacked around the head with an enormo-haddock until they are prepared to start their way up the slippery hill by stacking shelves at TESCO...

Wanting to be a politician should be a bar to being a politician.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

CD13 said:

Mr Indigo,

It's Eid, so I'm in a grumpy mood, I'm going to spend most of the day with my mum and dad's friends, who are going to suggest various arranged marriages for me.
    And we all thought Blair was going to have a bad day! Chin up old chap.
  • Options

murali_s said:

#bregret
    #bridiot

Says the poster who is incapable of understanding one can accept the point of a story while condemning a supposed business paper for not knowing the difference between basic financial sectors.

The Times is reporting that she did not manage funds, despite claims made by her supporters. It's her supporters who have got it completely wrong.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/07/06/world/social-issues-world/islamic-state-tightens-grip-3000-yazidi-female-captives-taps-apps-sell-slaves/#.V3xcfI6bRFp

still puzzles me why they have infrastructure like mobile networks. Is there a good reason to keep it all switched on?

Presumably because it is easier to penetrate for information gathering purposes. If everything sensitive was being sent by pigeon we'd be blind
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,905
    PlatoSaid said:

Hmm!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/05/top-labour-donor-offers-rebels-millions-to-defect-and-start-new/

The businessman and owner of Hull City football club said he is ready to fund a “Gang of Four” style defection, a reference to when senior Labour figures dramatically quit the party to create the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in 1981.

Morning. One major donor willing to back SDP2, it's a good start. Also of note that he's interested in backing UKIP if Labour don't split.

At least someone's stepping up to the plate, now where are the Labour MPs ready to defect to the new party?
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I thought the last Labour leadership contest had seen us scraping the bottom of the barrel, but the Conservatives have outdone them again. The Labour candidates were very poor quality, the Tories marginally better, but the spite and manouvering is in a different league.

The last year has been a perfect example of how not to govern the UK, it shows no signs of improving. Neutral onlookers are shaking their heads in dismay, these fucking idiots pass our laws, I wouldn't trust them to post a letter.
  • Options

I thought the last Labour leadership contest had seen us scraping the bottom of the barrel, but the Conservatives have outdone them again. The Labour candidates were very poor quality, the Tories marginally better, but the spite and manouvering is in a different league.

The last year has been a perfect example of how not to govern the UK, it shows no signs of improving. Neutral onlookers are shaking their heads in dismay, these fucking idiots pass our laws, I wouldn't trust them to post a letter.

Neutral onlookers = rest of the planet
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Charles said:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/07/06/world/social-issues-world/islamic-state-tightens-grip-3000-yazidi-female-captives-taps-apps-sell-slaves/#.V3xcfI6bRFp

still puzzles me why they have infrastructure like mobile networks. Is there a good reason to keep it all switched on?

Presumably because it is easier to penetrate for information gathering purposes. If everything sensitive was being sent by pigeon we'd be blind
    I guess that could be it
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

Yes, two can definitely play at that game.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

#bregret
    #bridiot

And?
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

But would you trust Nigel to post one?

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    On the day of Chilcot, let us spare a thought for our wonderful caring NHS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36716248
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Given what they're saying about her, I'm surprised that they selected her as a local council candidate.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

tlg86 said:

Well she was a rejected finalist in my home seat. Nobody has ever regretted the choice we made and ive always pitied South Northants for getting lumbered. I assume she dropped her major selling point from our selection process which went down like a cup of cold sick.
    What was that "major selling point"?
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    TOPPING said:

Yep, there is a short list of 5 to become the most influential person in the UK, one appears reasonably competent, the others are non-descript, nutters or deluded.

The next election will be interesting that's for sure, what a depressing choice we all face.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Charles said:

ToryJim said:

tlg86 said:

Gay bashing according to The Times.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Indigo,

Just like back and think of PB and the next glorious AV thread... on second thoughts, maybe a bit too racy!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

tlg86 said:

Fiscally dry but obsessed by gays and Europe? Doesn't sound like a proper candidate for scrapheap's new Tory party....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

tlg86 said:

huh?
  • Options

It's only in the American firms "investment banker" means that specifically.

In the UK firms it's really synonymous with "merchant banker" as a generic catch all ("corporate financier" is the term for IPO/M&A specialists). When she was in FIG at BZW you could reasonably call her that, although you're right that after BZN she moved into IM.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited July 2016
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

tlg86 said:

huh?
    Had a massive rant about gay adoption.

http://thetimes.co.uk/article/e398c122-42f7-11e6-8b08-e4a8e44356ba
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

IanB2 said:

murali_s said:

#bregret
    #bridiot

In that case stop prattling on here and get out and sell more ! :-)
    Unfortunately in order to sell more we need to buy raw materials from overseas countries and all we can offer to pay them with are pounds sterling which Brexit has made less attractive to have than every other currency in the world including Bangladeshi Takas and Guatamalean Quetzels .
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Yep, there is a short list of 5 to become the most influential person in the UK, one appears reasonably competent, the others are non-descript, nutters or deluded.

The next election will be interesting that's for sure, what a depressing choice we all face.
    I don't think it's a problem limited to the UK. See the US, for example!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hmm!

Morning. One major donor willing to back SDP2, it's a good start. Also of note that he's interested in backing UKIP if Labour don't split.

At least someone's stepping up to the plate, now where are the Labour MPs ready to defect to the new party?
    Why a Labour donor and potential SDP Mk2 donor would want to back UKIP evades me.

This guy may also be open to funding a new party since he'd fund a rival to Corbyn.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11603984/Labours-biggest-donor-ready-to-fund-candidate-who-abandons-left-wing-policy-platform.html
  • Options
    Mr Eagles,

"suggest various arranged marriages for me."

Hope you get a pretty one. I can see some good things about arranged marriages.

My son broke up with an young surgeon whose uncle owned a brewery, and she was pretty too. "Are you thought this one through?" I asked him, but kids ... He married someone else and they divorced after a year or two.

The BBC and most of the media may disagree, but Brexit gives us a chance to make our own way again. It's the sign of the times. We are the Progressives now.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

tlg86 said:

Fiscally dry but obsessed by gays and Europe? Doesn't sound like a proper candidate for scrapheap's new Tory party....
    Black-balled.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

I hadn't realised that Catalonia was only crushed and fully integrated into Castillian Spain because the British betrayed them over the Treaty of Utrecht. Our payoff was Gibraltar.

Perhaps we can swap @GeoffM for Barcelona?
  • Options

On the day of Chilcot, let us spare a thought for our wonderful caring NHS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36716248

"A patient lay dead for up to four-and-a-half hours before being spotted at one of the busiest A&E departments in the country, inspectors have revealed.

A review of North Middlesex University Hospital by the Care Quality Commission also found there were too few competent doctors who were able to assess and treat patients at night."

Do we now have to outsource the ability to find a pulse?
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

tlg86 said:

Black-balled.
    omniscient... omnipresent...!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

tlg86 said:

huh?
    Had a massive rant about gay adoption.
    ah k thanks.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    Good morning all.

Now back: rested and refreshed. Wonder how long it will last?

I see that Leadsom's CV is being put under scrutiny at last. I did say a few days ago that my investigative antenna were twitching, that her back room roles were less than the overhype was saying and that they were the sort of roles which did not provide evidence of the exercise of the sort of judgment needed in a PM. If a candidate for a job in my place of work were to embellish their CV or to misdescribe their role they would get no further and, if employed, would face disciplinary action including dismissal. And that has happened.

It's not the smallness of the lie which matters. It's the fact that a lie has been said. It tells you a great deal about that person's default instincts. There are plenty of people in the City who appear to have good CVs but who, in substance, are less than they seem. We don't need their ilk as PM.
  • Options
    Today could be David Cameron's last ever PMQs if there's a coronation.

*Epic Sadface*
This discussion has been closed.