Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer up sharply to become favourite in the next PM betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

So the very day that PHE becomes UKHSA, the corona dashboard update is delayed. Its not as if they've even changes the email addresses yet...

The problem is submission of data from outside bodies. Wales used to be late quite bit....
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Boris and HMG left the field for labour during their conference and he calls for the recall during the conservative party conference

It is not going to happen and in many areas there is no fuel problem
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Scott_xP said:
    Boris and HMG left the field for labour during their conference and he calls for the recall during the conservative party conference

It is not going to happen and in many areas there is no fuel problem
    Also deeply cynical, calling for it right after his conference and after fuel stocks have significantly improved.
  • Options

Tory conference next week in Manchester. I get why Call Me Dave wanted to head to places like Manchester but why is Boris bothering? Either head for the red wall you've conquered or stay in the south where you are welcomed. Birmingham. Stoke. Teesside (where the main man Matt Vickers can feed the PM a parmo). Not Manchester.

It is better than holding it in Brighton to be fair
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    ping said:

dixiedean said:

Selebian said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-58762029

Speaking on BBC Radio York, Conservative Mr Allott said women should be aware this was not an indictable offence - one considered serious enough to warrant a prison sentence or crown court hearing.

"So women, first of all, need to be streetwise about when they can be arrested and when they can't be arrested. She should never have been arrested and submitted to that," he said.

"Perhaps women need to consider in terms of the legal process, to just learn a bit about that legal process".

I'm glad to report I did not vote for this idiot.

Quite apart from owt else...
    Does he think a swift "I know my rights, you can't handcuff me." Would have resulted in Ms Everard being allowed to proceed on her way?
    Imbecile. As well as an insensitive, thick one.
    Unbelievable.

It is, however, an argument for elected pcc’s

The idiot can be voted out.
    Except he's the Tory in N Yorkshire. And Patel is imposing FPTP.
    So he won't be.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited October 2021
    Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h
    We've now reached the point where the public are being advised to flag down buses to protect themselves from police officers. And the head of the Metropolitan Police remains in post. How does anyone in authority seriously think this is a sustainable position.

Who advised this
    I do not normally use the word but cretins they are

My wife was utterly gobsmacked and very angry with those so out of touch even saying this

And she wants Ms Dick out now
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Surging gas prices likely to reverse course

https://www.ft.com/content/f2ca6690-0390-4374-a9d5-29caf2d651dd

• Options
    dixiedean said:

If the Tories really want to attract Manchester, they should do what Labour wouldn’t.
    A prime slot from the podium for Burnham.

Thinking further about my obviously flippant remark.
    Having Burnham open the Conference to greet delegates would be a super Machiavellian thing for the Tories to do. I can't see a downside.
    He wouldn’t be daft enough to accept of course, but even that would generate good press.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    No covid numbers yet so as an alternative I'll just chuckle that after a maskless Labour conference in stark contrast to their Westminster performative policy, Guido suggests their reporter caught/had Covid there.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited October 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h
    We've now reached the point where the public are being advised to flag down buses to protect themselves from police officers. And the head of the Metropolitan Police remains in post. How does anyone in authority seriously think this is a sustainable position.

Indeed, it is silly, pretty sure no-one has successfully flagged down a bus in the last decade....
    I was told by a bus driver (TfL), not long before COVID, that stopping a bus between stops was banned.

And that undercover bus inspectors would pull up a bus driver if he/she did it in front of them (the inspector) and pull them off the job then and there for disciplinary proceedings.
    To be fair, at least in London, the number of stops seems to have doubled and there is live timetabling so this policy is more reasonable than it would have been 20 years ago, when they often would stop if they could.

Just shows how out of touch whoever wrote it is, probably not used a bus in the last decade yet refers to them casually over something serious.

The suggestion on here of allowing the arrested to whatsapp a photo of the warrant card makes much more sense.
    Effectively we now have no functioning police force on London. If the Met itself is saying you can't trust us and you should check if a police officer is behaving lawfully (otherwise - whisper it quietly - if something bad happens to you, well it was partly your fault), then the police really can't do their job. They've lost their authority and face derision from some, bafflement from others and have now created a giant loophole through which criminals can walk.

And the people who dreamt this up are fit to be in charge, are they?

To be fair, the politicians daren't try and reign the police in because, if they do then the police will fit them up.

I mean, they were happy to do it with a Cabinet Minister, so the Mayor of London doesn't stand a chance.
    Now is the perfect time to reign in the police. Use the anger at this appalling case. It's the Met's Stephen Lawrence moment - but for Women.

Had I been Home Secretary I'd have announced a public inquiry yesterday evening with all necessary powers, to report back within a year and made it clear that it would not be the current leadership who would be implementing its recommendations.

In the meanwhile there would be an action plan of interim measures the police would be expected to take and I had appointed a Working Group headed by X, reporting to me, to report on progress, which would then be reported to Parliament.

If anyone in the police didn't like this they were welcome to go and work in abattoirs or drive lorries.

Of course I would not have been so stupid as to extend Cressida's term.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

25% chance? You're having a laugh.

You need Boris to lead the Conservatives into the next election.
    Starmer to lead Labour.
    The Conservatives to not just lose their majority, but to lose it badly enough that Starmer can (and does) form the next government.

Impossible?

Far from it.

But not a 25% chance either.

I'm normally quite close to you on the betting front but in this case not.

For me, Starmer and Johnson are almost nailed on to lead into the GE, so PM post that is a 2 horse race. This strong view of mine, that neither are going anywhere, is why I lumped on Starmer Next PM at 8 when it was available a few months ago post Hartlepool. I never saw him being unseated by the party before he has his shot, and I never gave much credence to the 'Boris out early and replaced by Rishi' scenario.

Now? Well I price the GE as follows:

Con maj 60%
    Con min 15%
    Lab maj 5%
    Lab min 20%

So, excluding the 'remotes' of either stepping down before the GE, or Johnson winning it and then in due course fighting another with Starmer staying on as LOTO and finally winning that one, which about cancel each other out, I have 25% as being about fair value right now for Starmer Next PM. But I don't truly think he will be so as soon as it goes under 4 I'll probably be laying my position back.

I'm also happy with my £300 to £100 with shrewdball @isam on Starmer being PM after the next GE - a slightly different bet to Next PM. And he's happy with it too, so that's nice, exactly what you want with a bet, just like that final hand in the Cincinnati Kid. Only question is, who's the Steve McQueen and who's the Edward G Robinson? I might look very like the former - cough - but I hope that's where the resemblance ends on this one.
    what do you think is the minimum number of seats needed for Cons to form a minority government?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    EVERY.SINGLE. DAY

Fresh record for energy prices topping 100 euros mw per hour

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-01/european-gas-rises-to-record-100-euros-as-energy-crunch-worsens
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    OT
    I don't think the underlying reality of Starmer's chances have changed much. I think this odds change is more of a correction to near where it should have been. I think people have been vastly overestimating the likelihood of Starmer being replaced before an election. Yes, it's still possible, but no, I don't think it'll happen.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Phil said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

London Mayor Sadiq Khan says he's "confident" Cressida Dick is the "right person to bring about the transformation needed" in the Met Police

https://bbc.in/3kZ6mAD https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1443929971161018370/video/1

This exemplifies the problem. The Met, the London Mayor and the Home Office have had months, literally months to come up with some practical response to what they knew was coming.

And their answer was ...... drum roll ....... buses. Seriously. They think that (a) a bus will stop if a woman waves at it outside a bus stop (I mean have they even been to London?) and (b) that a bus driver will be able and willing to help a woman saying that a police officer is doing something he oughtn't.

Seriously?

And they didn't realise - in all these months - how stupid this sounds, how tin-eared, how offensively inappropriate, how inadequate.

It would be almost funny were the subject matter not so serious.

As it is, it is borderline cretinous. Never mind Dick being sacked. I'm of a mind to sack Patel, Khan and the nitwits at the Home Office, Mayoralty and Scotland Yard who thought this up.
    It’s astonishing, isn’t it?

How can they be this tone-deaf?
    I can well believe it. Remember some of those early public statements by senior bankers which did nothing but infuriate everyone ("the time for apologies is over" etc)? These are the same.

It's what happens when an organization has not grasped the enormity of the mess it's in and how it's viewed, is panicking but is still largely talking to itself.

And no-one from the outside has the balls to go in and tell them to stop being so fucking stupid. Which would be pretty much what I would do - and at this point in those words - and what I have done in the past.

That is why Khan's statement is so damaging. There is no chance of the change that is so badly needed happening when the external stakeholders are so fucking feeble.

Honestly - apologies for all the swearing. But really this is just utterly scandalous.
    No need for apology - we need your wise words and I for one appreciate and support them 100%

Can we nominate you to take over the MET ?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

My wife was utterly gobsmacked and very angry with those so out of touch even saying this

Other options were also advised:

'shouting out to a passerby, running into a house, knocking on a door, waving a bus down or, if you are in the position to do so, calling 999.'
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

No covid numbers yet so as an alternative I'll just chuckle that after a maskless Labour conference in stark contrast to their Westminster performative policy, Guido suggests their reporter caught/had Covid there.

So are you back to thinking that masks DO prevent infections?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

'shouting out to a passerby, running into a house, knocking on a door, waving a bus down or, if you are in the position to do so, calling 999.'
    The flip side of this is, if you are a passerby and you see a PC arresting someone, get your phone out and film it. You never know.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited October 2021

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Calling 999? Unbelievable:

Which service would you like?
    Ambulance please.
    What's the problem?
    I've just been stopped by a police officer and am likely to be attacked.
    The ambulance is on its way.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

No, I'm consistent in thinking many Labour politicians wearing masks in parliament are engaging in posturing, as evidenced by their behaviour outside parliament where the risks are no different by they make the opposite choice.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

The flip side of this is, if you are a passerby and you see a PC arresting someone, get your phone out and film it. You never know.
    I would seriously NOT advise that. You're likely to find yourself down the nick swiftish. They DO NOT like that kind of thing.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

I would seriously NOT advise that. You're likely to find yourself down the nick swiftish. They DO NOT like that kind of thing.
    It is legal to film in a public place so no you wouldn't, edit: oughtn't to find yourself down the nick.
  • Options
    Quite enjoying the second half of In Rainbows.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Selebian said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-58762029

Speaking on BBC Radio York, Conservative Mr Allott said women should be aware this was not an indictable offence - one considered serious enough to warrant a prison sentence or crown court hearing.

"So women, first of all, need to be streetwise about when they can be arrested and when they can't be arrested. She should never have been arrested and submitted to that," he said.

"Perhaps women need to consider in terms of the legal process, to just learn a bit about that legal process".

I'm glad to report I did not vote for this idiot.

Quite apart from owt else...
    Does he think a swift "I know my rights, you can't handcuff me." Would have resulted in Ms Everard being allowed to proceed on her way?
    Imbecile. As well as an insensitive, thick one.
    And, barely, 24 hours since the sentence, he is - as is all too typical - blaming women.

Among far too many men, there is a barely suppressed attitude that It Is Our Fault If Bad Things Happen To Us.
    Notable to me that Guido Fawkes for instance describes his response as 'a new low' for the police establishment which was alreayd not covering itself in glory. It is out loud what is usually quiet.

'Submitting to [arrest]' my arse.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

It is legal to film in a public place so no you wouldn't, edit: oughtn't to find yourself down the nick.
    Oh it might get sorted out later, but dixiedean is right it would be a risk. Police don't always know the law after all.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

No, I'm consistent in thinking many Labour politicians wearing masks in parliament are engaging in posturing, as evidenced by their behaviour outside parliament where the risks are no different by they make the opposite choice.
    agree on the hypocrisy, but disagree on the efficacy. Perhaps the Guido story helps illustrate that.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

OT
    I don't think the underlying reality of Starmer's chances have changed much. I think this odds change is more of a correction to near where it should have been. I think people have been vastly overestimating the likelihood of Starmer being replaced before an election. Yes, it's still possible, but no, I don't think it'll happen.

I think this is right - his position is more secure and this reflects that.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

It's a risk I'm happy to take.
    As for their feelings... tough. We can't trust them, but we can keep them honest.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

agree on the hypocrisy, but disagree on the efficacy. Perhaps the Guido story helps illustrate that.
    Not sure 1 case shows anything - there are over 100k cases of people vaccinated catching covid and that doesn't prove they don't work.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Not sure 1 case shows anything - there are over 100k cases of people vaccinated catching covid and that doesn't prove they don't work.
    Of course vaccines work.
    But masks do too.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Oh it might get sorted out later, but dixiedean is right it would be a risk. Police don't always know the law after all.
    Check out youtubes with any police involvement. Zillions of cameras all over the place.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Indeed, it is silly, pretty sure no-one has successfully flagged down a bus in the last decade....
    I was told by a bus driver (TfL), not long before COVID, that stopping a bus between stops was banned.

And that undercover bus inspectors would pull up a bus driver if he/she did it in front of them (the inspector) and pull them off the job then and there for disciplinary proceedings.
    To be fair, at least in London, the number of stops seems to have doubled and there is live timetabling so this policy is more reasonable than it would have been 20 years ago, when they often would stop if they could.

Just shows how out of touch whoever wrote it is, probably not used a bus in the last decade yet refers to them casually over something serious.

The suggestion on here of allowing the arrested to whatsapp a photo of the warrant card makes much more sense.
    Effectively we now have no functioning police force on London. If the Met itself is saying you can't trust us and you should check if a police officer is behaving lawfully (otherwise - whisper it quietly - if something bad happens to you, well it was partly your fault), then the police really can't do their job. They've lost their authority and face derision from some, bafflement from others and have now created a giant loophole through which criminals can walk.

To be fair, the politicians daren't try and reign the police in because, if they do then the police will fit them up.

I mean, they were happy to do it with a Cabinet Minister, so the Mayor of London doesn't stand a chance.
    Now is the perfect time to reign in the police. Use the anger at this appalling case. It's the Met's Stephen Lawrence moment - but for Women.

Had I been Home Secretary I'd have announced a public inquiry yesterday evening with all necessary powers, to report back within a year and made it clear that it would not be the current leadership who would be implementing its recommendations.

In the meanwhile there would be an action plan of interim measures the police would be expected to take and I had appointed a Working Group headed by X, reporting to me, to report on progress, which would then be reported to Parliament.

If anyone in the police didn't like this they were welcome to go and work in abattoirs or drive lorries.

I think you are right that the Commissioner should go but step back a minute. The Home Secretary and Mayor of London want her to stay. Why? They might both be wrong but they are not blithering idiots. I think they are relying on the Commissioner to solve a different problem.

And both the Sarah Everard and Sabina Nessa murders were solved quite quickly.

Look at knife crime, gang warfare, drugs and so on in London. Not to mention domestic abuse and predatory crimes against women and children. All increased since 2010. My feeling is that the HS & MoL are looking to CD to come up with effective strategies to combat these, and also to deal more effectively by the vast quantities of data thrown up by any investigation that at the moment take lots of police officers out of circulation. The police now need new systems that can be as transformative as was the Holmes computer system in the 1980s that replaced paper files and index cards. (And look at the report I posted earlier that the MoD wants to get in on the act too, suggesting the problems are being discussed across Whitehall.)

I could be wrong but that is my theory on the official support for Cressida Dick. But I also agree she should resign. Someone does need to take responsibility, as you say, and the culture does need to change.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    kle4 said:

I am frankly astonished no one yet commented on two instances of 'reign in' not 'rein in'. What are PB pedants coming to?

Friday pm, and sun soon to be over the yardarm, or would be if we could see it.

Plus all supplies of bile are being rightly directed at the target for tonight.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Check out youtubes with any police involvement. Zillions of cameras all over the place.
    Yes, if you do it en masse they can hardly stop you, but they do not like it one bit, anymore than they like people talking back to them, not instantly complying, or talking about their rights (admittedly most of us don't know our rights) and I would be very wary of doing it if I was on my own.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

Tory conference next week in Manchester. I get why Call Me Dave wanted to head to places like Manchester but why is Boris bothering? Either head for the red wall you've conquered or stay in the south where you are welcomed. Birmingham. Stoke. Teesside (where the main man Matt Vickers can feed the PM a parmo). Not Manchester.

Was a thing among the major parties.

Big cities are easier to have a secure zone.

Plus it allows you bring in more revenue from people who take ads at the conference.
    So go to a city where you have a presence. That isn't Machester for the Tories. Having a big secure zone so delegates can go from the back of the Midland Hotel into GMEX without having to risk encountering the locals isn't worth the bother - they could be anywhere.
    The North West and Greater Manchester has plenty of Tories.
    I have colleagues* who would argue that one Tory is plenty of Tories. Too many, even...

*lefty wokist academia, afterall :wink:
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

If the Tories really want to attract Manchester, they should do what Labour wouldn’t.
    A prime slot from the podium for Burnham.

Thinking further about my obviously flippant remark.
    Having Burnham open the Conference to greet delegates would be a super Machiavellian thing for the Tories to do. I can't see a downside.
    He wouldn’t be daft enough to accept of course, but even that would generate good press.
    Isn't it? Duty, surely.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263
    dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/ph/photography-advice

Maybe it's something the police need to get used to.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Britain’s current Covid infection rate is by far the highest in western Europe and is only exceeded by a handful of countries around the world
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/uk-covid-infection-rate-global-comparison-johns-hopkins-who-b958154.html

Best in the world.
    Would you rather go into the winter with those infections in front of us or behind us?
    The issue is testing rates.

The UK is still doing a very high rate of tests per head of population, compared with most other countries.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-cumulative-total-tests-per-thousand-map?tab=table

As Donald Trump observed, the more you test, the more you find.
    Best to stop testing people. If we stop testing then there is zero covid and we can all get on with our lives!

What do these other countries mean they won't let us in???
    Why should we care what they do or do not allow? But yes, stopping testing is what almost every other nation has done relative to what we're doing.

Mass testing for a virus we're vaccinated against is beyond ridiculous now. Complete waste of money, its time to stop it and get on with our lives.
    Only two thirds of us are vaccinated.

Question - will we be able to "get on with our lives" as a pariah nation where we need to quarantine before being allowed into other nations? Our "high risk" / "extremely high risk" status will become a ball-ache pretty quickly if most of the rest of the world has squashed Covid and we haven't.
    The latest antibody survey shows that we've comfortably above 90% in the UK. You are coming across as detached from reality.

93.6% in England
    91.2% in Wales
    91.9% in Northern Ireland
    93.3% in Scotland

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/antibodies
    Well clearly! And the sustained 30-40k new cases each day prove that there is no pox here any more.

Someone is detached from reality. Don't think its me luv.
    If Covid is now endemic, and that is probably what will happen worldwide, then in the medium to long term EVERYBODY is going to get it, even in all the countries that locked down tight and have so far avoided waves of infection like those seen in Europe and North America. Even most vaccinated people will eventually get a natural infection.

Basically Covid is going to become a disease about as prevalent as colds or seasonal flu. What we in the UK are seeing now is going to become something quite common worldwide as time goes by. A disease that causes lots of cases per year, with fewer deaths and less serious illness as time goes on, but a common and widely encountered disease.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    kle4 said:

I am frankly astonished no one has yet commented on two instances of 'reign in' not 'rein in'. What are PB pedants coming to?

Let us hope that particular reign of error is over :wink:
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Saw this very thing just a couple of days ago. Police guy went to speak to two slightly inebriated homeless guys, causing no trouble to anyone AFAICT.
    Told them not to be there when he got back. (Grounds? No idea). One of them agreed, the other, very calmly pointed out they were doing nowt wrong.
    PC went red in the face, turned a 360 and yelled "Phones away now!" to all within earshot. This was in the City Centre at 3 in the afternoon.
    Again grounds?
    Ironically most with phones out were Chinese freshers photographing impressive old buildings.
    Doubtless he could have produced some charges had anybody bothered.
    Thing was, though. He seemed to be ACTIVELY looking for confrontation. There had been absolutely zero bother before he showed up.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Of course vaccines work.
    But masks do too.
    I completely accept why it's intuitive they should. The last study I saw certainly found surgical masks work, but was unable to find a statistically significant result for the cloth masks that people actually wear. Needless to say, it was only the former conclusion that got trumpetted and applied to masks in general. A mask will certainly help if being work by an infectious person coughing and sneezing with poor manners. Given they don't suffocate people so airflow is still happening in and out, I'm a bit more skeptical what use they're supposed to be when worn by someone without symptoms.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Auditing Britain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqeitjWcVHtA03Ea-95pioQ
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/ph/photography-advice

Maybe it's something the police need to get used to.
    They should see the value of it, it can help them. I knew a case where a quite vexatious person was being very widely vocal about an alleged incident, but the officer had footage which showed it was a lie. Suddenly the concern switched to how dare images be taken of the public without consent.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I am frankly astonished no one has yet commented on two instances of 'reign in' not 'rein in'. What are PB pedants coming to?

I noted, but resisted. My 12 step sponsor will be so proud.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Auditing Britain

I said risk, not certainty. It's not a certainty that an officer (fortunately indeed caught on camera) would say they would make something up on someone either, but that was also a risk, albeit hopefully limited.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Cyclefree said:

Phil said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

London Mayor Sadiq Khan says he's "confident" Cressida Dick is the "right person to bring about the transformation needed" in the Met Police

https://bbc.in/3kZ6mAD https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1443929971161018370/video/1

This exemplifies the problem. The Met, the London Mayor and the Home Office have had months, literally months to come up with some practical response to what they knew was coming.

And their answer was ...... drum roll ....... buses. Seriously. They think that (a) a bus will stop if a woman waves at it outside a bus stop (I mean have they even been to London?) and (b) that a bus driver will be able and willing to help a woman saying that a police officer is doing something he oughtn't.

Seriously?

And they didn't realise - in all these months - how stupid this sounds, how tin-eared, how offensively inappropriate, how inadequate.

It would be almost funny were the subject matter not so serious.

As it is, it is borderline cretinous. Never mind Dick being sacked. I'm of a mind to sack Patel, Khan and the nitwits at the Home Office, Mayoralty and Scotland Yard who thought this up.
    It’s astonishing, isn’t it?

How can they be this tone-deaf?
    I can well believe it. Remember some of those early public statements by senior bankers which did nothing but infuriate everyone ("the time for apologies is over" etc)? These are the same.

It's what happens when an organization has not grasped the enormity of the mess it's in and how it's viewed, is panicking but is still largely talking to itself.

And no-one from the outside has the balls to go in and tell them to stop being so fucking stupid. Which would be pretty much what I would do - and at this point in those words - and what I have done in the past.

That is why Khan's statement is so damaging. There is no chance of the change that is so badly needed happening when the external stakeholders are so fucking feeble.

Honestly - apologies for all the swearing. But really this is just utterly scandalous.
    It's utterly fucking scandalous in fact. But seriously, your City comparisons are apt imo. The police are a bit of a mystery to me but I have more knowledge of that and it still amazes me that more voters weren't more angry about it and didn't demand more radical reform. All comes crashing down and within a few weeks you have the same old people pontificating on the telly and in the papers about why it happened. They were right there in the thick of it but somehow it wasn't to do with them.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

OT

Agree. SKS's chance of being next PM is calculated thus:
    There is a nearly 50% chance of the Tories coming below about 320 seats. This puts SKS as next PM (coalition almost certainly, he would need a black swan to win) unless:

Boris was replaced as PM before this happens
    SKS was replaced before this happens
    or
    The Tories manage a coalition, and even if they do SKS still has a chance of being next PM if Boris is still in charge. (The chance of all this is tiny)

Those three contingencies I would put as 10-15% between them. SKS has a 33-40% chance of being next PM.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Oh dear what a fool this idiot from north Yorks police is.

How do such morons actually get these positions in politics? Someone who actually thinks it's acceptable to blame a woman who's been brutally kidnapped, raped and murdered for being too "submissive" would surely be unemployable in "real life"

What is it about politics that means any idiot can get a job?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Auditing Britain

I said risk, not certainty. It's not a certainty that an officer (fortunately indeed caught on camera) would say they would make something up on someone either, but that was also a risk, albeit hopefully limited.
    The police can't move especially when there is an incident without being filmed by everyone.
  • Options
    Flag down a bloody bus if you are being arrested.

What is this shithousery? Add this to the pile of evidence for broken Britain.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Saw this very thing just a couple of days ago. Police guy went to speak to two slightly inebriated homeless guys, causing no trouble to anyone AFAICT.
    Told them not to be there when he got back. (Grounds? No idea). One of them agreed, the other, very calmly pointed out they were doing nowt wrong.
    PC went red in the face, turned a 360 and yelled "Phones away now!" to all within earshot. This was in the City Centre at 3 in the afternoon.
    Again grounds?
    Ironically most with phones out were Chinese freshers photographing impressive old buildings.
    Thing was, though. He seemed to be ACTIVELY looking for confrontation. There had been absolutely zero bother before he showed up.
    IANAL but isn't it technically against the law to be "slightly inebriated" in a public place or to sleep rough? Which is the other half of the problem. Just getting on with life means turning a blind eye to trivial offences. Things can get very unpleasant very quickly if the police work to rule (which I suspect was a factor in plebgate).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Auditing Britain

The police can't move especially when there is an incident without being filmed by everyone.
    I doubt that we would ever have heard of George Floyd were it not for the prevalence of phone cameras.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993
    BigRich said:

I don't know how well the below post, but giving it a go. its from 'Our would in date'

there are lots of ways to masher how a nation is doing in comparison to others WRT COVID, non is perfect but some are more floored than others. you can look at cases, but this does depend very much on how much testing a nation is doing, and also the row number does not distinguish between old/venerable and heathy people. Alternately you can look at deaths, but nations meser this defiantly, depths with COVID Vs deaths of COVID, hospitalisation may be better but again there is some difference in repotting over the With and of COVID, I think perhaps the best is No in ICU, (again not saying its perfect) one draw back is that not all nations are repotting this, but 20 out of 27 EU nations are, and compared to them 13 have more in ICU (including France, Germany and Spain) and 7 have less in ICU (Including Italy)

So by this metric, we are on the better side of Mid table.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=latest&facet=none&pickerSort=asc&pickerMetric=population&Metric=ICU+patients&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=PRT~ESP~DNK~IRL~FIN~DEU~FRA~ITA~European+Union~GBR~POL~NLD~BEL~CZE~SWE~HUN~AUT~BGR~CHE~SVK~HRV~LTU~SVN~LVA~EST~CYP~LUX~ROU&hideControls=true" loading="lazy" style="width: 100%; height: 600px; border: 0px none;">

Iframes don't load in Vanilla, but your point is right. We've done well. Not perfectly, and we messed up at the beginning. But the government got it together on vaccines (particularly early on), and they have been pretty much correct on their dates for removing restrictions.

Now, there are things that I would fault them for. The initial response to the virus was confused. I think they were slow to come to a decision re children (have they even made a decision?) They should have been more open to mixing and matching vaccines.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Again grounds?
    And yet where I live, there is a PCSO who seems to be tasked with chatting to our resident homeless, making sure they are OK and generally interacting with them as people. Seems to work quite well.

If it can be done here....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Nigelb said:

Very impressive result from Merck's antiviral:

...Merck (NYSE: MRK), known as MSD outside the United States and Canada, and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics today announced that molnupiravir (MK-4482, EIDD-2801), an investigational oral antiviral medicine, significantly reduced the risk of hospitalization or death at a planned interim analysis of the Phase 3 MOVe-OUT trial in at risk, non-hospitalized adult patients with mild-to-moderate COVID-19. At the interim analysis, molnupiravir reduced the risk of hospitalization or death by approximately 50%; 7.3% of patients who received molnupiravir were either hospitalized or died through Day 29 following randomization (28/385), compared with 14.1% of placebo-treated patients (53/377); p=0.0012. Through Day 29, no deaths were reported in patients who received molnupiravir, as compared to 8 deaths in patients who received placebo. At the recommendation of an independent Data Monitoring Committee and in consultation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), recruitment into the study is being stopped early due to these positive results. Merck plans to submit an application for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to the U.S. FDA as soon as possible based on these findings and plans to submit marketing applications to other regulatory bodies worldwide...

Not enough horses
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Auditing Britain

You seem to be assuming everyone in an encounter with the police will have many people about.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Time is running out to avoid a winter of discontent.

The Government must address the shortage of HGV drivers, which is causing havoc with British supply chains.
    https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1443964040368332816/photo/1
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Auditing Britain

You seem to be assuming everyone in an encounter with the police will have many people about.
    Watch the first clip on here (19:36 long but jump to the last few minutes for the payoff).

TL;DW? 10 police officers try to inhibit someone from filming them with no success. And he walks away.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

I think you are right that the Commissioner should go but step back a minute. The Home Secretary and Mayor of London want her to stay. Why? They might both be wrong but they are not blithering idiots...
    Assumes facts not in evidence.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

And that is part of the problem.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Again grounds?
    IANAL but isn't it technically against the law to be "slightly inebriated" in a public place or to sleep rough? Which is the other half of the problem. Just getting on with life means turning a blind eye to trivial offences. Things can get very unpleasant very quickly if the police work to rule (which I suspect was a factor in plebgate).
    When I say slightly, I mean very slightly. I assume they were homeless only from the condition of their clothes. They weren't sleeping rough at the time, just walking along not bothering anyone. I only suspect they'd been drinking cos one was having a bit of trouble rolling a fag.
    If public inebriation is to be cracked down on, their are plenty of office workers at the train station who'd never get home. Indeed the entire night time economy of Newcastle would close.
    This PC seemed to want some hassle. And happened upon an easy target.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Auditing Britain

Watch the first clip on here (19:36 long but jump to the last few minutes for the payoff).

TL;DW? 10 police officers try to inhibit someone from filming them with no success. And he walks away.

Bully for him, I'd not risk it without many other witnesses.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Again grounds?
    And yet where I live, there is a PCSO who seems to be tasked with chatting to our resident homeless, making sure they are OK and generally interacting with them as people. Seems to work quite well.

If it can be done here....
    Well indeed. I only mentioned my anecdote, because I was genuinely shocked. Not because I know the full ins and outs. Maybe there was more to it than first appeared.
    But, to me, the casual passer by, there was one person looking to cause a confrontation. And 2 others doing a pretty good job of trying to de-escalate under provocation.
    That may be neither correct, nor typical.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Auditing Britain

Bully for him, I'd not risk it without many other witnesses.
    Well he stood up for his rights. I appreciate that many would cave under the weight of pressure from the police that he came under but the whole point we are discussing is how they behave and what the law is.

The law is it is legal to film in public, including police officers and, legally, you can't find yourself down the nick for doing so.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Ambulance please.
    What's the problem?
    It will be there in 6 hours...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
    Interesting.

UK set to be first country to legislate for safe and efficient rollout of fusion energy
    New green paper establishes government’s view on how to put in place the regulatory framework needed

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-set-to-be-first-country-to-legislate-for-safe-and-efficient-rollout-of-fusion-energy
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5h

Who advised this

Ambulance please.
    What's the problem?
    It will be there in 6 hours...
    Dependent on driver availability. And if they've fuelled up by then.
  • Options
    How can levelling up involve making the poorest graduates lose more money
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Nigelb said:

...Merck (NYSE: MRK), known as MSD outside the United States and Canada, and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics today announced that molnupiravir (MK-4482, EIDD-2801), an investigational oral antiviral medicine, significantly reduced the risk of hospitalization or death at a planned interim analysis of the Phase 3 MOVe-OUT trial in at risk, non-hospitalized adult patients with mild-to-moderate COVID-19. At the interim analysis, molnupiravir reduced the risk of hospitalization or death by approximately 50%; 7.3% of patients who received molnupiravir were either hospitalized or died through Day 29 following randomization (28/385), compared with 14.1% of placebo-treated patients (53/377); p=0.0012. Through Day 29, no deaths were reported in patients who received molnupiravir, as compared to 8 deaths in patients who received placebo. At the recommendation of an independent Data Monitoring Committee and in consultation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), recruitment into the study is being stopped early due to these positive results. Merck plans to submit an application for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to the U.S. FDA as soon as possible based on these findings and plans to submit marketing applications to other regulatory bodies worldwide...

Indeed. The USA has ordered 10 million courses it appears, at a cost of $1.7 billion.

Merck says they will do a cheaper version for other markets.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed. The USA has ordered 10 million courses it appears, at a cost of $1.7 billion.

Merck says they will do a cheaper version for other markets.
    This could be a real game-changer. Given that we have vaccines to reduce the risk of serious illness by a large factor, an effective anti-viral to treat those who do get ill will bring the overall seriousness of Covid right down. And it sounds as though it will be possible to manufacture this drug much more cheaply once they ramp up production. It could be very good news indeed.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Interesting.

UK set to be first country to legislate for safe and efficient rollout of fusion energy
    New green paper establishes government’s view on how to put in place the regulatory framework needed

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-set-to-be-first-country-to-legislate-for-safe-and-efficient-rollout-of-fusion-energy

With all due respect, fusion is the main source of energy in the UK today, so I don't know why the UK is bothering to legislate when it's already been such a huge success.
    Indeed, is it ultimately the source of all fossil fuels too!
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Of course vaccines work.
    But masks do too.
    I completely accept why it's intuitive they should. The last study I saw certainly found surgical masks work, but was unable to find a statistically significant result for the cloth masks that people actually wear. Needless to say, it was only the former conclusion that got trumpetted and applied to masks in general. A mask will certainly help if being work by an infectious person coughing and sneezing with poor manners. Given they don't suffocate people so airflow is still happening in and out, I'm a bit more skeptical what use they're supposed to be when worn by someone without symptoms.
    I think the cloth study showed that cloth masks were ineffective at preventing you from getting Covid (or, technically, resulted in only about a 7% improvement). Large scale studies have shown, though, that they are still pretty efficient at preventing you from passing Covid on to others, which is their primary goal.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Interesting.

With all due respect, fusion is the main source of energy in the UK today, so I don't know why the UK is bothering to legislate when it's already been such a huge success.
    Oh, it enables Mr Johnson to be triumphalist over those Europeans* with their ITERs and Tokamak thingies. Just in time for the Manc conference.

*yes, I know, including the Brits.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

So the very day that PHE becomes UKHSA, the corona dashboard update is delayed. Its not as if they've even changes the email addresses yet...

The problem is submission of data from outside bodies. Wales used to be late quite bit....
    I’m partly joking as my wife works for phe Ukhsa....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Interesting.

Indeed, is it ultimately the source of all fossil fuels too!
    Please, "stored solar".
    Yes, Scoggins minor, oil is technically renewable, but it's not going to happy very quickly, is it?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    GIN1138 said:

How do such morons actually get these positions in politics? Someone who actually thinks it's acceptable to blame a woman who's been brutally kidnapped, raped and murdered for being too "submissive" would surely be unemployable in "real life"

It recalls the Tory mps who claimed that they wouldn’t have remained in place at Grenfell. Just insensitive.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:
    I did suggest that last week and as far as I am aware it will be used for other benefit increases

I really would not want to be the COE with all the economic problems looming
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

OT

There is a nearly 50% chance of the Tories coming below about 320 seats. This puts SKS as next PM (coalition almost certainly, he would need a black swan to win) unless:

or
    The Tories manage a coalition, and even if they do SKS still has a chance of being next PM if Boris is still in charge. (The chance of all this is tiny)

Those three contingencies I would put as 10-15% between them. SKS has a 33-40% chance of being next PM.

I’m not sure it is that high. I think one thing such a probability is predicated on is that we see a return to historical norms ie less controversial opposition leader comes in, some of the scared ex-Labour voters come home and that tips over a number of seats. However, there is a strong case for saying Labour’s problems are more structural and that they are less through them than the Conservatives’ equivalent, namely urban professionals. There are likely to be a number of “Labour Till I Die” voters still out there who are literally dying off. Add that to signs the Indian community is moving more Conservative and that Labour’s Muslim voters may be open to a left wing, anti-woke alternative such as Galloway, there is a decent case for saying SKS’ odds should be more like 20-25%.

Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Conservatives increase their majority at the next GE. Not saying it’s a probability but it’s definitely a distinct possibility.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Of course vaccines work.
    But masks do too.
    You do know that they reduce the risk of asymptomatic transmission, and that a major factor of prevent infection is blocking water droplets, yes? Masks don't need to be airtight to catch water droplets! Water is denser than air, which means it takes more energy to divert it. When airflow changes direction, such as when it strikes a mask and is forced back on itself and then through the gaps at the side, the water droplets will tend to get stuck near the surfaces, like the mask and your face. This greatly increases the chance that they touch the surface and get stuck instead of becoming airborne.

A similar principle is used in aerodynamic separators, centrifuges, and mass spectrometers.

Masks partially dehydrate the air expelled, which is why the inside of a mask ends up damp. It's incontrovertible that masks reduce water droplet circulation, and we know that water droplet inhalation is a major vector for C19 infection. Asymptomatic people are generally less infectious that symptomatic ones (fewer water droplets emitted less forcefully), but the above explains why masks still help avoid and reduce serious infection, since even asymptomatic people breathe out water droplets.

Masks work. The science says so, and common sense agrees. The only question is whether you decide to wear one or not.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    This won't please folk. Not sure, as a former teacher, if I'd be still working in the same situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/01/met-officers-investigated-over-couzens-whatsapp-group-are-still-on-duty

Actually that's utter bollocks. Damn sure I'd have been frog marched off the premises and barred from a certain radius, or from having any contact with colleagues.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    rcs1000 said:

maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Of course vaccines work.
    But masks do too.
    I think the cloth study showed that cloth masks were ineffective at preventing you from getting Covid (or, technically, resulted in only about a 7% improvement). Large scale studies have shown, though, that they are still pretty efficient at preventing you from passing Covid on to others, which is their primary goal.
    Viral load is key, anything that reduces that amount of transmission is worth it and masks do just that.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    dixiedean said:

This won't please folk. Not sure, as a former teacher, if I'd be still working in the same situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/01/met-officers-investigated-over-couzens-whatsapp-group-are-still-on-duty

What's app groups are quite a recent phenomena. We're starting to learn about the dangers of posting on social media when you're young (see Ollie Robinson, for example), but this is another area of potential danger. You're part of a group in which some, but not all, members of the group make racist/homophobic/sexist jokes/comments. Are you guilty if you see it and don't report it?

The answer may well be "yes". However, if we do the right thing once, we have to do the right thing every time.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

OT

or

I’m not sure it is that high. I think one thing such a probability is predicated on is that we see a return to historical norms ie less controversial opposition leader comes in, some of the scared ex-Labour voters come home and that tips over a number of seats. However, there is a strong case for saying Labour’s problems are more structural and that they are less through them than the Conservatives’ equivalent, namely urban professionals. There are likely to be a number of “Labour Till I Die” voters still out there who are literally dying off. Add that to signs the Indian community is moving more Conservative and that Labour’s Muslim voters may be open to a left wing, anti-woke alternative such as Galloway, there is a decent case for saying SKS’ odds should be more like 20-25%.

Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Conservatives increase their majority at the next GE. Not saying it’s a probability but it’s definitely a distinct possibility.
    There is definitely a chance - a good chance - that the Conservatives increase their majority at the next election.

It's probably:

20% inc Con majority
    55% reduced Con majority (but still majority)
    7% only Con minority possible

Something like that...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Starmer to lead Labour.
    The Conservatives to not just lose their majority, but to lose it badly enough that Starmer can (and does) form the next government.

Impossible?

Far from it.

For me, Starmer and Johnson are almost nailed on to lead into the GE, so PM post that is a 2 horse race. This strong view of mine, that neither are going anywhere, is why I lumped on Starmer Next PM at 8 when it was available a few months ago post Hartlepool. I never saw him being unseated by the party before he has his shot, and I never gave much credence to the 'Boris out early and replaced by Rishi' scenario.

Con maj 60%
    Con min 15%
    Lab maj 5%
    Lab min 20%

So, excluding the 'remotes' of either stepping down before the GE, or Johnson winning it and then in due course fighting another with Starmer staying on as LOTO and finally winning that one, which about cancel each other out, I have 25% as being about fair value right now for Starmer Next PM. But I don't truly think he will be so as soon as it goes under 4 I'll probably be laying my position back.

I'm also happy with my £300 to £100 with shrewdball @isam on Starmer being PM after the next GE - a slightly different bet to Next PM. And he's happy with it too, so that's nice, exactly what you want with a bet, just like that final hand in the Cincinnati Kid. Only question is, who's the Steve McQueen and who's the Edward G Robinson? I might look very like the former - cough - but I hope that's where the resemblance ends on this one.
    what do you think is the minimum number of seats needed for Cons to form a minority government?
    Great question. I'd say if they get over 300 they have a chance. Over 315 and they are favs.
  • Options
    NEW: Emergency lorry driver visas will be extended after government U-turn on deadline

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1443958076718166016
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

What's app groups are quite a recent phenomena. We're starting to learn about the dangers of posting on social media when you're young (see Ollie Robinson, for example), but this is another area of potential danger. You're part of a group in which some, but not all, members of the group make racist/homophobic/sexist jokes/comments. Are you guilty if you see it and don't report it?

The answer may well be "yes". However, if we do the right thing once, we have to do the right thing every time.
    What's app is new yes.
    Police Officers under active criminal investigation being allowed to carry on working sadly isn't.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

GIN1138 said:

It recalls the Tory mps who claimed that they wouldn’t have remained in place at Grenfell. Just insensitive.
    Not just any old Tory MP. Jacob Rees-Mogg, who declared he'd have used his common sense and fled Grenfell, against the advice of the fire brigade. Knob. As one of the survivors commented, it would also be common sense not to use flammable materials in building/renovating flats.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50302573
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

OT

or

There is definitely a chance - a good chance - that the Conservatives increase their majority at the next election.

It's probably:

20% inc Con majority

Something like that...
    If you make a CON majority a 75% chance then the 40% on Betfair on that outcome is a good bet
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Starmer to lead Labour.

Impossible?

Far from it.

Con maj 60%
    Con min 15%
    Lab maj 5%
    Lab min 20%

Great question. I'd say if they get over 300 they have a chance. Over 315 and they are favs.
    If the Conservatives get 315 seats, I don't believe an alternative government (i.e. one without the Cons) is possible.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

"for allegedly failing to challenge the messages sent by the others."

What fresh hell is this ?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

OT

or

It's probably:

20% inc Con majority

Something like that...
    If you make a CON majority a 75% chance then the 40% on Betfair on that outcome is a good bet
    Yes, it's a cracking bet.
  • Options

NEW: Emergency lorry driver visas will be extended after government U-turn on deadline

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1443958076718166016

Sensible
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

What's app is new yes.
    Police Officers under active criminal investigation being allowed to carry on working sadly isn't.
    Actually, just reading that piece, clearly being present in such a group makes you guilty. Presumably they were waiting for the Couzens case to close before charging the officers. I can't imagine there's much to think about. Either it's worth prosecuting or it isn't.

But worth thinking about. Simply not reporting something you see can get you into a lot of trouble.
This discussion has been closed.