Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The HGV driver shortage: 2 in 3 blame ministers, Brexit and BoJo – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    MaxPB said:

I really hope Linke don't make it.

G Elliot Morris on Twitter says his model (which I think is The Economist) reckons Linke are virtually certain to win enough FPTP seats to get their PR seats even if they fall below 5%.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706
    edited September 2021
    tlg86 said:

Gotta love PR. I wouldn’t be surprised if Germany has another election.

They will, but probably not until 2025.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

• Options

tlg86 said:

sorry you are right, 2025
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

I can't be the only one who's thoroughly bored by "Trans".

Of course you are. But it is not your sex-based rights which are at risk. Nor how you describe yourself and are described.

You might become slightly less bored by the topic when a teacher turns up at the school your daughter goes to and it turns out that they are a man who has legally become a woman in Scotland (if Sturgeon's GRA changes go through) after three months without any medical diagnosis of dysphoria and without having transitioned in any way and that such a teacher can access the loos and changing rooms your daughter uses.
    That’s a good point. The trans issue does not especially interest me now (except as a satisfied spectator of lefty civil wars) - but I have two daughters. Hmm

One thing that does bug me is Starmer’s insistence (restated again today) that trans people are ‘the most marginalized of communities’ Is there anything to back this up? If there is, does it explain the modern Left’s obsession with trans rights - ie in their pursuit of intersectional privilege, or lack of, are trans people the intersect which meets maximum bigotry and hatred?

I have my doubts there are enough trans people to make the data reliable, but who knows
    Trans people are protected under the Equality Act.

Cyclefree said:

Of course you are. But it is not your sex-based rights which are at risk. Nor how you describe yourself and are described.
    and changing rooms your daughter uses.
    I respect your position @Cyclefree but you have to also recognise that plenty of women do not feel their sex-based rights are under threat in the same way you do.
    Refusing to collect data about it is both daft and potentially dangerous.
    I refused to answer questions about my gender identity and sexuality on the diversity form to join my new employer.

They've still confirmed my appointment. So good so far, but I suspect I'll find a dissenting line hard to navigate at director level.
    I wouldn't worry about it. The best thing to do is simply ignore the bullshit. That's what I do. I've also actively pushed back on something called "alignment groups" without any repercussions. The idea was that all the Asians or Jews or women could align themselves and ask for special treatment. It's something that's come over from our US office and I refused to implement them for my team by saying they'd be divisive. I argued my case to the directors and they agreed so junked them for London.
    Thanks Max. I also heard on Friday from a colleague of mine that my old (well, current for the next 3 weeks) firm has just hired an EDI advisor, and we all know what that means.

Looks like I got out just in time. I hope in my new firm, in my new position, I can find the courage to do what you did and push back against the more divisive lunacies of this.
    The worst part about this stuff is that no one specific is asking for it. I consulted with my team first before making my opposition known to the HR director and in the discussion not a single person who would be in favour of them based on their racial background was. In the end the discussion with the HR director was pretty good, though being Asian probably helped me while you won't have that in your back pocket.

British thinking is completely different to the US where everyone seems to think like a victim of something or other. Maybe it's because we've got pretty tough culture fit standards and people who think in that manner don't make it through the door.
    That's true, I don't have that. I am a "white male". I can contrive various cards if I really wanted to - foreign wife, international school, first in family to go to university, cousins married to those of different races, probably slightly on the spectrum etc.

But, I don't want to play it because that will perpetuate this nonsense - both for me and for everyone else.

So, I will have to find another way. And it will be a harder way.
    Yes, I think having the white male HR director tell the Asian guy with pretty racially diverse team that this would be imposed on us would have gone badly. It's a very strange dynamic. As I said, in the end it was a good conversation and I think he took my criticisms on board really well. In all honesty I think he was looking for a way out, he never seemed like a big fan of this nonsense but at the same time the big US banks are implementing this kind of stuff in NY/London and Japan doesn't want to be left behind them.

One of the other big things I pushed back on was an "optional" lecture from some US racial expert. It was listed as optional in everyone's calendar but the white employees feared not attending it and some in my team asked if I could put in a meeting/event that clashed with it so they could say no without fear of repercussions. In the end I raised their objections with the HR manager and said that if any of them were singled out for not attending I'd back them all the way in any review and the event was deleted from everyone's calendar. It became an event that anyone who wanted to go had to ask for an invite rather than inviting the whole London office by default and pressuring people into attending.

I went to it for a few minutes and it was such a pile of wank. Completely irrelevant to anyone outside of the US and it was on Friday at 4pm-6pm. Literally one of the worst events the company has ever held, just a stream of critical race theory propaganda dressed up as fact.

This is what US workers are up against.
    Elsewhere someone has posted a post where DuckDuckGo weren't interested in the CV of a white iOS developer, but were interested when the CV came from a black lesbian.

The fact this is how a lot of American firms have to work once they get beyond a certain size is completely lost on most Brits...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

It looks like the CDU/CSU have the numbers to stay in office if they can cobble together a coalition with the Greens and the FDP but that must be unlikely given their policy differences.

Yeah. But it's a bit on a knife edge isn't it?
    I mean this could come down to a few tens of thousands of votes for first place.
    Hard to see how the Union can lead a coalition after losing a quarter or so of their support since the last GE.
    Yeah. The bloke on Deutsche Welt was just on about the psychology of it. When the exit poll dropped their was ecstasy in the Union, disappointment in the SPD.
    This quickly flipped when the realisation sank in just how much each has lost and gained. And that smaller parties will pick up on this.
    Essentially it is FDP + Green + one of the big two for government.
    Isn't sure the Union has the stomach for it. Nor do the other two want Laschet as Chancellor who has been rejected, even if he comes first.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

2025 - Bundestag has 4 year terms.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Well 2nd ZDF exit poll has Union leading and they are 3/1 most seats on BF.....

What was their first one showing?
    ZDF showing 26SPD 24CDU
  • Options

Quoted on BBC news site - also the 25/25 poll gave Union a small seat lead, also if exit poll excludes postals and old people (ie Union voters) vote more by post, again favours Union

40% of votes may be postal, I don't think we can assume they are all old people as they would have been ten years ago
  • Options
    Steve Coogan is starring in a drama about Jimmy Saville.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58699058

It's being made by the BBC. On one hand, they won't have to do much external research. On the other, they're taking the p*ss.
  • Options

Quoted on BBC news site - also the 25/25 poll gave Union a small seat lead, also if exit poll excludes postals and old people (ie Union voters) vote more by post, again favours Union

Although, don't SPD voters skew old too?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Foxy said:

Yeah, I thought that value, but how proportional is the system?
    System is perfectly proportional. The Bundestag literally expands adding more PR seats as necessary to ensure the overall result matches the vote %s.
    An unverified (but usually decent) tweeter suggests there is a tiny amount of disproportionality which favours The Union.

https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1442167860940390402
  • Options

It's being made by the BBC. On one hand, they won't have to do much external research. On the other, they're taking the p*ss.

Hope his close links to the Blessed Margaret (pbuh) aren't swept under the carpet.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

You might become slightly less bored by the topic when a teacher turns up at the school your daughter goes to and it turns out that they are a man who has legally become a woman in Scotland (if Sturgeon's GRA changes go through) after three months without any medical diagnosis of dysphoria and without having transitioned in any way and that such a teacher can access the loos and changing rooms your daughter uses.
    That’s a good point. The trans issue does not especially interest me now (except as a satisfied spectator of lefty civil wars) - but I have two daughters. Hmm

One thing that does bug me is Starmer’s insistence (restated again today) that trans people are ‘the most marginalized of communities’ Is there anything to back this up? If there is, does it explain the modern Left’s obsession with trans rights - ie in their pursuit of intersectional privilege, or lack of, are trans people the intersect which meets maximum bigotry and hatred?

I have my doubts there are enough trans people to make the data reliable, but who knows

Cyclefree said:

I respect your position @Cyclefree but you have to also recognise that plenty of women do not feel their sex-based rights are under threat in the same way you do.
    I refused to answer questions about my gender identity and sexuality on the diversity form to join my new employer.

They've still confirmed my appointment. So good so far, but I suspect I'll find a dissenting line hard to navigate at director level.
    I wouldn't worry about it. The best thing to do is simply ignore the bullshit. That's what I do. I've also actively pushed back on something called "alignment groups" without any repercussions. The idea was that all the Asians or Jews or women could align themselves and ask for special treatment. It's something that's come over from our US office and I refused to implement them for my team by saying they'd be divisive. I argued my case to the directors and they agreed so junked them for London.
    Thanks Max. I also heard on Friday from a colleague of mine that my old (well, current for the next 3 weeks) firm has just hired an EDI advisor, and we all know what that means.

Looks like I got out just in time. I hope in my new firm, in my new position, I can find the courage to do what you did and push back against the more divisive lunacies of this.
    The worst part about this stuff is that no one specific is asking for it. I consulted with my team first before making my opposition known to the HR director and in the discussion not a single person who would be in favour of them based on their racial background was. In the end the discussion with the HR director was pretty good, though being Asian probably helped me while you won't have that in your back pocket.

British thinking is completely different to the US where everyone seems to think like a victim of something or other. Maybe it's because we've got pretty tough culture fit standards and people who think in that manner don't make it through the door.
    That's true, I don't have that. I am a "white male". I can contrive various cards if I really wanted to - foreign wife, international school, first in family to go to university, cousins married to those of different races, probably slightly on the spectrum etc.

But, I don't want to play it because that will perpetuate this nonsense - both for me and for everyone else.

Yes, I think having the white male HR director tell the Asian guy with pretty racially diverse team that this would be imposed on us would have gone badly. It's a very strange dynamic. As I said, in the end it was a good conversation and I think he took my criticisms on board really well. In all honesty I think he was looking for a way out, he never seemed like a big fan of this nonsense but at the same time the big US banks are implementing this kind of stuff in NY/London and Japan doesn't want to be left behind them.

One of the other big things I pushed back on was an "optional" lecture from some US racial expert. It was listed as optional in everyone's calendar but the white employees feared not attending it and some in my team asked if I could put in a meeting/event that clashed with it so they could say no without fear of repercussions. In the end I raised their objections with the HR manager and said that if any of them were singled out for not attending I'd back them all the way in any review and the event was deleted from everyone's calendar. It became an event that anyone who wanted to go had to ask for an invite rather than inviting the whole London office by default and pressuring people into attending.

I went to it for a few minutes and it was such a pile of wank. Completely irrelevant to anyone outside of the US and it was on Friday at 4pm-6pm. Literally one of the worst events the company has ever held, just a stream of critical race theory propaganda dressed up as fact.

Elsewhere someone has posted a post where DuckDuckGo weren't interested in the CV of a white iOS developer, but were interested when the CV came from a black lesbian.

The fact this is how a lot of American firms have to work once they get beyond a certain size is completely lost on most Brits...
    Yeah it's completely ridiculous, one of the reasons we've been hiring our development resources in London is because US hiring is a mess of diversity rules. London is now operationally our most important site outside of Japan, mainly because it's easy to get talented people and there's no interference from the state over who it is we're hiring.

California in particular seems to have insane diverse hiring rules which mean a worse person for the job with worse qualifications will be picked if they're black or Latino.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706
    edited September 2021
    ZDF update/hochrechnung - SPD 25.8 Union 24.2
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Anyone stupid enough to attempt to hire a developer based on racial and sexual characteristics is not going to remain in business for long.
  • Options

ZDF update/hochrechnung - SPD 25.8 Union 24.2

That, however, would be a clear result.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    dixiedean said:

Hope his close links to the Blessed Margaret (pbuh) aren't swept under the carpet.
    Or the NHS...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Or the NHS...
    Or indeed who gave him keys to Broadmoor.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Foxy said:

System is perfectly proportional. The Bundestag literally expands adding more PR seats as necessary to ensure the overall result matches the vote %s.
    An unverified (but usually decent) tweeter suggests there is a tiny amount of disproportionality which favours The Union.

These must be new rules then, as usually it is perfectly proportional on the second vote.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Foxy said:

ARD exit poll is showing SPD 24.9 CDU 24.7.
    But, on seats, Union 198, SPD 197.
    Which would back that up.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,261
    dixiedean said:

Although, don't SPD voters skew old too?
    Yes they do. Not quite as old as CDU.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Or the NHS...
    ...and Stoke Mandeville.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Foxy said:

These must be new rules then, as usually it is perfectly proportional on the second vote.
    Looks like part of an ongoing process to reduce the size.

https://www.tatsachen-ueber-deutschland.de/en/politics-germany/changes-electoral-law
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Anyone stupid enough to attempt to hire a developer based on racial and sexual characteristics is not going to remain in business for long.
    One of the companies we've invested in has shifted all of their new R&D hiring to London over the last 18 months to avoid US diversity rules in hiring. In the time since we've been an investor their roles in London have gone from under 10 to about 200, roles in California have gone from About 30 to about 50 with the mix now firmly in sales and marketing.

When I was chatting to the founder last week I asked him why they've done it, expected cost to be the major factor but he said avoiding California rules on hiring is the major motivation. The cost of a developer seat in London is about
    £80-100k for them anyway which is comparable to what they'd pay in the US. Paraphrasing - the UK government doesn't get involved with who they hire, California does.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,243
    dixiedean said:

Big fan of Israel and the new labour regime too.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    edited September 2021
    dixiedean said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Foxy said:

ZDF figures show clear lead for SPD in votes and seats

25.6/24.4
    211/202
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

The CDU/CSU are saying they want a CDU/CSU + Greens + FDP coalition

Won't happen if the SPD are largest party, the Greens won't join that.

Another Union and SPD grand coalition now almost certain, with maybe the Greens or FDP too
    Rubbish, it is very far from certain, it's third likeliest coalition on those numbers, and if it does happen it almost certainly won't involve a third party, why on earth would it?
    SPD, Greens and Linke do not have the numbers on either exit poll for a leftwing government, nor do Union and FDP for a centre right government. The pro business FDP and the Greens are not natural allies and would be wary of going into government with each other.

So that means it will have to involve bargaining with another grand coalition a strong possibility
    Good that you've moved so quickly from "almost certain" to "strong possibility". A little progress!

A Grand Coalition will only happen if SPD Greens FDP, and Union Greens Left negotiations fail. They might fail. They failed last time (when SPD Greens FDP wasnt possible). But the reasons for that failure are less strong this time, and the dissatisfaction with another Grand Coalition would be even stronger. Lindner wants to be finance minister, I expect the other parties to offer him that, so now is his chance.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Foxy said:

I know little of German politics but has anyone an idea when the results will be confirmed
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Foxy said:

I know little of German politics but has anyone an idea when the results will be confirmed
    Probably January
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The problem is: this is exactly what some ner-do-wells and abusers do. They like to appear as normal people, doing good deeds, as to appear above reproach and therefore gain access to whatever their ner-so-wellish requires. They also like power, and therefore like to befriend people of influence. Any of us could easily be gamed in this manner; few of us are immune to flattery and other influences.

It's happened time and time before, and will again. The problem is that this develops cynicism against genuine angels who selflessly do good deeds.

The answer has to be to listen to complaints in a manner that is fair to all parties involved. Tell complainants they will be listened to according to a set procedure, and give the accused a fair chance of rebuttal.

What you do not do - and what has been done so many times in the past - is ignore things and sweep them under the carpet. This allows abusers to get away with it, and just stores up future problems for the organisation.

As an aside, my son's nursery taught him the 'PANTS' acronym: privates are private; always remember your body belongs to you; no means no; talk about secrets that upset you and speak up, someone can help.

I think it was great for him to learn this whilst he was young.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,894
    Quincel said:

Foxy said:

System is perfectly proportional.
    Presumably once those who don't make the threshold are excluded?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Foxy said:

Probably January
    Naah, a couple of weeks at most.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    New thread
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Another Union and SPD grand coalition now almost certain, with maybe the Greens or FDP too
    Rubbish, it is very far from certain, it's third likeliest coalition on those numbers, and if it does happen it almost certainly won't involve a third party, why on earth would it?
    SPD, Greens and Linke do not have the numbers on either exit poll for a leftwing government, nor do Union and FDP for a centre right government. The pro business FDP and the Greens are not natural allies and would be wary of going into government with each other

So that means it will have to involve bargaining with another grand coalition a strong possibility
    Doesn't @kamski live in Germany and is this you again telling someone who actually lives there that you know best
    I could live on Mars and still read polls and exit polls and what they mean, kamski is also centre left and was pushing SPD, Green, Linke before the election which is now not possible on the exit polls
    At least we agree that Germany may as well be Mars as far as your understanding of its politics goes.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

One of the companies we've invested in has shifted all of their new R&D hiring to London over the last 18 months to avoid US diversity rules in hiring. In the time since we've been an investor their roles in London have gone from under 10 to about 200, roles in California have gone from About 30 to about 50 with the mix now firmly in sales and marketing.

When I was chatting to the founder last week I asked him why they've done it, expected cost to be the major factor but he said avoiding California rules on hiring is the major motivation. The cost of a developer seat in London is about
    £80-100k for them anyway which is comparable to what they'd pay in the US. Paraphrasing - the UK government doesn't get involved with who they hire, California does.
    At what point do companies realise, that dividing the company into groups depending on what they look like, and pitting those groups against each other, is going to be bad for morale and therefore bad for business?
  • Options
    Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Big fan of Israel and the new labour regime too.
    Oh sure. He groomed an entire nation's Establishment. Using him to have a pop at just the BBC is a bit reductive.
    Strangely. It was widely rumoured about amongst the younger generation. We knew not to go to his club in Manchester. Don't know anyone my age who thought him other than a total creep.
    But our elders and betters couldn't contain their gushing enthusiasm for the living saint amongst us.
  • Options
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

SPD, Greens and Linke do not have the numbers on either exit poll for a leftwing government, nor do Union and FDP for a centre right government. The pro business FDP and the Greens are not natural allies and would be wary of going into government with each other

Doesn't @kamski live in Germany and is this you again telling someone who actually lives there that you know best
    I could live on Mars and still read polls and exit polls and what they mean, kamski is also centre left and was pushing SPD, Green, Linke before the election which is now not possible on the exit polls
    At least we agree that Germany may as well be Mars as far as your understanding of its politics goes.
    Kamski, have they amended the allocation algorithm of the total No of seats from the last election?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,076
    edited September 2021
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Sorry your SPD, Green and Linke government dreams did not come off, clearly you are still very bitter about it
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Quincel said:

Foxy said:

That's right.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    edited September 2021
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Or the NHS...
    Manipulative sex criminals tend to be very adept at getting friends in high places, see Epsteins black book. How many knew what was going on or merely being used as cover is hard to tell.

The culture in the Seventies of sex with young groupies was tolerated in a way that appalls nowadays, but wasn't really a secret at the time. I heard tales of Gary Glitter at school in the mid Seventies, and Saville was always rather creepy.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

kle4 said:

Quincel said:

Foxy said:

That's right.
    unless they win 3 constituency seats from the first vote. Then they get the 2nd vote bonus.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Afternoon folks

This may already have been mentioned but the Telegraph has a commentary piece written by John Sergeant and headlined:

"I lived through the winter of discontent – this is how Boris can avoid turning into Ted Heath"

Am I wrong in thinking either Sergeant or the headline writer has this wrong? I thought the Winter of Discontent was under Callaghan in 1978. Heath wasn't even Leader of the Opposition let alone PM by then.

You are right. I assume the headliner is thinking of the 3 day week under Heath
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

It looks like the CDU/CSU have the numbers to stay in office if they can cobble together a coalition with the Greens and the FDP but that must be unlikely given their policy differences.

Yeah. But it's a bit on a knife edge isn't it?
    I mean this could come down to a few tens of thousands of votes for first place.
    Hard to see how the Union can lead a coalition after losing a quarter or so of their support since the last GE.
    Yeah. The bloke on Deutsche Welt was just on about the psychology of it. When the exit poll dropped their was ecstasy in the Union, disappointment in the SPD.
    This quickly flipped when the realisation sank in just how much each has lost and gained. And that smaller parties will pick up on this.
    Essentially it is FDP + Green + one of the big two for government.
    Isn't sure the Union has the stomach for it. Nor do the other two want Laschet as Chancellor who has been rejected, even if he comes first.
    I wouldn’t want to be laschet to the CDU either if I were the FDP
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Cyclefree said:

They are not too bright then.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

This is inferring easier transition will likely lead to deviant men gaming the system, something not supported by evidence from countries that have such a system. The other problem is it erroneously links 'trans' with 'perverts', which leads to prejudice and bigotry.

I actually find your philosophical ‘TERF’ arguments stronger. That self-ID represents a trivializing of womanhood. The obvious retort is what about female to male trans, but I guess you’d say, well, yes, but men are secure in their status/power in our (still) patriarchal society, so feel no need to kick up a fuss, which is a good point. My other retort would be that women are more supportive of transpeople than men are, most see no conflict with their own rights, and this is particularly true of younger women, where it’s overwhelming, but to this I guess you’d say, well, yes, because it’s older generation women who remember the fierce fights for equality, hence are more sensitive to encroachments, also a good point.

And is this men telling women what to think? I see why you say this but, no, I don’t think that’s fair. There are loads of men on the anti side of the debate and loads of women on the pro. I don’t see it as a male v female issue at all, to me it’s about allowing this small group of people to be themselves. Changing gender seems odd but I can imagine that one day it’ll be as “shrug” as homosexuality (almost) is today, in which case these battles will be looked back upon in a similar light to those around that. But who knows. The antis are strong at the moment, their arguments resonate, and I haven’t a clue where it’s going longer term.
    Please do not call me a TERF.

I have to go now. But I did respond to your questions to me on the thread header I wrote the other day. Right at the end. Not going to repeat here. Just wanted to let you know that I did not ignore your questions.

Your first paragraph is very naive, btw. If anything the evidence - such as it is (too early to say) goes the other way.

Nor do I think this a generational issue. Daughter does not care if people want to transition but very firmly against transwomen competing in women's sports.

Anyway, have a nice day all.
    Yes, I read your reply on the PT. Appreciated and all clear. And I'm definitely not calling you a TERF. It's the various arguments you've made that I'm responding to.
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

Hmm, on this thread we've seen the "men telling women what to think" accusation thrown at people simply for disagreeing with a woman. Very sexist.

You however deserve that accusation, calling women "not too bright" because they don't feel threatened by people who are much more likely to be victims than perpetrators of crime.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

So. Half an hour to German exit poll. What does everyone think?

Deadlock
  • Options
    Phil said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

This is inferring easier transition will likely lead to deviant men gaming the system, something not supported by evidence from countries that have such a system. The other problem is it erroneously links 'trans' with 'perverts', which leads to prejudice and bigotry.

I actually find your philosophical ‘TERF’ arguments stronger. That self-ID represents a trivializing of womanhood. The obvious retort is what about female to male trans, but I guess you’d say, well, yes, but men are secure in their status/power in our (still) patriarchal society, so feel no need to kick up a fuss, which is a good point. My other retort would be that women are more supportive of transpeople than men are, most see no conflict with their own rights, and this is particularly true of younger women, where it’s overwhelming, but to this I guess you’d say, well, yes, because it’s older generation women who remember the fierce fights for equality, hence are more sensitive to encroachments, also a good point.

And is this men telling women what to think? I see why you say this but, no, I don’t think that’s fair. There are loads of men on the anti side of the debate and loads of women on the pro. I don’t see it as a male v female issue at all, to me it’s about allowing this small group of people to be themselves. Changing gender seems odd but I can imagine that one day it’ll be as “shrug” as homosexuality (almost) is today, in which case these battles will be looked back upon in a similar light to those around that. But who knows. The antis are strong at the moment, their arguments resonate, and I haven’t a clue where it’s going longer term.
    Please do not call me a TERF.

I have to go now. But I did respond to your questions to me on the thread header I wrote the other day. Right at the end. Not going to repeat here. Just wanted to let you know that I did not ignore your questions.

Your first paragraph is very naive, btw. If anything the evidence - such as it is (too early to say) goes the other way.

Nor do I think this a generational issue. Daughter does not care if people want to transition but very firmly against transwomen competing in women's sports.

Anyway, have a nice day all.
    For someone who denies TERFism, you do seem to repeat an awful lot of TERF talking points Cyclefree.

Perhaps if you don’t like the moniker, you could think about why it might be being applied?
    Another arsehole appears from the woodwork.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

Hmm, on this thread we've seen the "men telling women what to think" accusation thrown at people simply for disagreeing with a woman. Very sexist.

You however deserve that accusation, calling women "not too bright" because they don't feel threatened by people who are much more likely to be victims than perpetrators of crime.
    Absolute numpty, go play with your toys dumbo
This discussion has been closed.