Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Watermelons or Green perennials: Are the Greens going anywhere? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

DavidL said:

NEW: Keir Starmer has abandoned his controversial electoral college reforms overnight.

A spokesman says he will still bring other measures to "better connect us with working people and re-orient us toward the voters who can take us to power".

Another source texts: "It's dead"

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1441655417378062336?s=20

God, he is truly pathetic.
    He's not very savvy, and is prone to picking fights with the party's powerful and most foolish idealogues that he can't beat, but then he is quite a crisp performer at PMQs and being "truly pathetic" got him from state school to senior lawyer.

His biggest problem is that he is hated by the eye-swivellers and doesn't understand that he is surrounded by duplicitous backstabbers, which probably in itself makes him unsuitable for his current role.

I am interested as to why loyal Conservatives like yourself are as vexed by the man as you are. Particularly as your own Prime Minister isn't really a role model for hard work, propriety and competence.
    Grammar School which became a fee paying private school while he was there
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    kle4 said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

I would like to see some work colleagues again in the flesh but wouldn't ever want to go back to being in 4 or 5 days/week. I completely understand it being different for the young workers. What will be interesting is how it is balanced between the (older) management wanting to be at home a few days each week and the youngsters who are in most days.

Funny. In my work the opposite was true (accountant).
    The more senior managers are in most days (three kept coming in back in January and February despite being told several times they really shouldn’t) whilst the ‘kids’ are never seen! It took an email from the Managing Director earlier this month to get them to creep back in.

I’ve three work colleagues in their twenties I’ve not seen in person since February 2020, and one lady who started in April I’ve never met.
    Whilst senior managers are more likely to have space for a home office than a younger person, if you're not got much experience of office working you're perhaps more inclined not to want to bother with the commute unless required to.
    Perhaps. I don't quite understand it.

Of the three senior managers who are in everyday, I suspect at least one is getting away from the wife; no doubt using work as an excuse to get out the house. They're also not great with technology. When they WERE at home, it was very much the case of "turn your mic on.... turn on your mic... the button in the bottom left... no, not screen share.... the mic bu.... oh I give up". Two of the three still send paper letters (FFS?!) chasing records to be sent to them, on paper.

As to the kids, no idea. The kids are more likely to be out and about anyway (at clients doing accounts), but at least one young lady who I finally met on Monday just gone (she started in January) I suspect just likes staying at home with mum and dad.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    edited September 2021

nico679 said:

So the government wants to relax rules for EU drivers to save Bozos skin after he led a campaign which told those same drivers to get lost and go back home.

And then the visas are time limited and the message will then be get lost now .

nico679 said:

So the government wants to relax rules for EU drivers to save Bozos skin after he led a campaign which told those same drivers to get lost and go back home.

Good morning

HMG new visa quota scheme was brought in post Brexit and applies worldwide, not just to the EU

It applies to specific need and has a minimum salary of £25,600

This is the brexit dividend which would not have been permissible under the EU freedom of movement and is working as designed for our post Brexit labour needs
    As predicted the cheerleaders who supported the government not allowing foreign lorry drivers in, now support the allowing the foreign lorry drivers in.

It is almost as if the policies don't matter, just the colour of the rosette.
    This has been the conservative policy throughout and is now being applied to the need

I see is as complete vindication for Brexit and it is working as designed
    I must congratulate you. You’ve got the Comical Ali tribute off to a tee!
    I have to say, with the greatest of respect, those trying to dismiss this are those who have not accepted brexit and think this is a way to undermine it, with the vain hope we will rejoin
    Just so we're clear...

Is there any degree of Brexit fallout which would make it legitimate to say "hey guys, this may be something we need to reverse"?

Is there any degree of swing in public opinion where it would be legitimate for a UK government to reverse Brexit?

I don't think we're anywhere near either of those conditions right now, and those on the fringes who are arguing for a quick rejoin are probably doing more harm than good to their cause. And there's plenty of prickles that the UK could remove.

But to say "this policy is irreversible, permanent for all time" flies in the face of history, doesn't it? Governments of all colours have thought they had changed things forever and proved wrong.

It also takes away agency and sovereignty from future generations, which is a pretty selfish thing for this generation of voters to be doing.

If the policy of the Johnson government succeeds, it will deservedly stick. If it fails, it equally deservedly won't. That's democracy, and trying to shut down inconvenient voices isn't.
    I also expect the EU, and France specifically, to agree a mutually beneficial European defence and security pact and I understand Boris spoke to Macron yesteday and this was the subject of the meeting 10 days ago with Rutte at no 10

I'm not sure I see a path to that until such time as Germany becomes less mercantilist, and EuCo comes to terms with the increased weight which is due to the Eastern countries of the EU - about which they are currently in denial.

And until someone comes up with a way of addressing Mr Macron's wounded pride.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708

Off topic, petrol update. Just had calls from my other half, in tears initially, trying to find petrol. She set off at 7am this morning to go to an event, 50 miles away, and needed petrol. The first 6 petrol stations were no good - 2 closed, 4 with horrendous queues. At 7.30, she was about to give up and come home. I directed her to a nearby Asda - bit of a queue, but no problem at all, so she's happy now and on her way. But astonishing that so many people decided to go to fill up their cars so early on a Saturday morning.

Conclusions:
    a) there is no petrol shortage
    b) there is panic buying ('fuelled' by the media, BP/Shell, and the government)
    c) the great British public (some of them) are bonkers.

Would completely agree with all that.
    Drove past three this morning. One in Crosby (shut, run dry). One in Asda, West Derby had queues snaking around the car park. One in West Derby itself on the main road had queues into the road (Causing problems).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Carnyx said:

HYUFDism crystalised.

Also did you see the caption? Rather definite.
    Although, the body in the background might have been observed as being his handiwork....
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,391
    edited September 2021

kle4 said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

I would like to see some work colleagues again in the flesh but wouldn't ever want to go back to being in 4 or 5 days/week. I completely understand it being different for the young workers. What will be interesting is how it is balanced between the (older) management wanting to be at home a few days each week and the youngsters who are in most days.

The more senior managers are in most days (three kept coming in back in January and February despite being told several times they really shouldn’t) whilst the ‘kids’ are never seen! It took an email from the Managing Director earlier this month to get them to creep back in.

I’ve three work colleagues in their twenties I’ve not seen in person since February 2020, and one lady who started in April I’ve never met.
    Whilst senior managers are more likely to have space for a home office than a younger person, if you're not got much experience of office working you're perhaps more inclined not to want to bother with the commute unless required to.

Of the three senior managers who are in everyday, I suspect at least one is getting away from the wife; no doubt using work as an excuse to get out the house. They're also not great with technology. When they WERE at home, it was very much the case of "turn your mic on.... turn on your mic... the button in the bottom left... no, not screen share.... the mic bu.... oh I give up". Two of the three still send paper letters (FFS?!) chasing records to be sent to them, on paper.

As to the kids, no idea. The kids are more likely to be out and about anyway (at clients doing accounts), but at least one young lady who I finally met on Monday just gone (she started in January) I suspect just likes staying at home with mum and dad.
    My last job involved two different remote call systems that used similar microphone icons. On one it meant your microphone was open, on the other it was muted.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFDism crystalised.

That author's name has to be a pseudonym - and a very leading one. I wonder if the editor even realised?
    It's a photoshop effort. Note 1916 comments.

The photo is taken from this Irish Times article on the Black and Tans: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/come-out-ye-black-and-tans-think-you-know-what-it-s-about-you-probably-don-t-1.3832601
    Ah, thanks.

I did discover BTW that there is a Regiment of the Black & Tans in LA - gents who, erm, like uniforms, looks strictly NSFW so did not inquire further to see if there is any connection with Irish history.
    Though if you want to see a historical echo of the Black and Tans, just look at American policing. The same characterestic light touch policing by trigger happy military vets with army surplus kit.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    If we had PR rather than FPTP then the Greens might be able to form part of the government as they have done in New Zealand, are doing in Austria and Scotland and are about to do in Germany (in Australia too in 2010 with AV the Greens propped up Gillard's minority Labor government).

As it is under FPTP the Greens will win the odd councillor and Brighton Pavilion but beyond that their first target at Westminster, Bristol West, needs a huge 18% swing to take from Labour. At the next election they will likely increase their share in Labour seats but are unlikely to win any, in Tory seats tactical voting for Labour will likely see little change in the Green vote
  • Options

Off topic, petrol update. Just had calls from my other half, in tears initially, trying to find petrol. She set off at 7am this morning to go to an event, 50 miles away, and needed petrol. The first 6 petrol stations were no good - 2 closed, 4 with horrendous queues. At 7.30, she was about to give up and come home. I directed her to a nearby Asda - bit of a queue, but no problem at all, so she's happy now and on her way. But astonishing that so many people decided to go to fill up their cars so early on a Saturday morning.

Conclusions:

Drove past three this morning. One in Crosby (shut, run dry). One in Asda, West Derby had queues snaking around the car park. One in West Derby itself on the main road had queues into the road (Causing problems).
    As part of its green agenda, the government is letting ICE drivers experience range anxiety to get them used to electric cars.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

moonshine said:

Ive been in the office every day this week despite very few people choosing to, mainly because the IT equipment is better so I’m more productive.

That’s interesting. In my place the consensus is the opposite. People’s home IT setup is superior to the office and the connection speed for video calls better too.
    The guy who sits opposite me talks so damn loudly that every time I’m on a Zoom call clients complain about the background noise.
    Get a directional microphone that picks up you and not the person opposite. I can't help with the loud person behind you.
    Get a decent call centre type headset. Both mike and audio are far better.

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

HMG new visa quota scheme was brought in post Brexit and applies worldwide, not just to the EU

This is the brexit dividend which would not have been permissible under the EU freedom of movement and is working as designed for our post Brexit labour needs
    As predicted the cheerleaders who supported the government not allowing foreign lorry drivers in, now support the allowing the foreign lorry drivers in.

This has been the conservative policy throughout and is now being applied to the need

I have to say, with the greatest of respect, those trying to dismiss this are those who have not accepted brexit and think this is a way to undermine it, with the vain hope we will rejoin
    Just so we're clear...

Is there any degree of Brexit fallout which would make it legitimate to say "hey guys, this may be something we need to reverse"?

Is there any degree of swing in public opinion where it would be legitimate for a UK government to reverse Brexit?

I don't think we're anywhere near either of those conditions right now, and those on the fringes who are arguing for a quick rejoin are probably doing more harm than good to their cause. And there's plenty of prickles that the UK could remove.

But to say "this policy is irreversible, permanent for all time" flies in the face of history, doesn't it? Governments of all colours have thought they had changed things forever and proved wrong.

It also takes away agency and sovereignty from future generations, which is a pretty selfish thing for this generation of voters to be doing.

If the policy of the Johnson government succeeds, it will deservedly stick. If it fails, it equally deservedly won't. That's democracy, and trying to shut down inconvenient voices isn't.
    Indeed, this is a government of U turns, so what is implausible about the biggest U turn of all?

In the last months we have decided that the NI protocol is unworkable, that we cannot run inbound customs at the Channel, and now that we need to import European workers.

I don't think Rejoin is on the agenda yet for a major party (celtic nationalists apart) but I can see that it won't just be the LDs wanting much closer alignment to the Single Market.
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

moonshine said:

Ive been in the office every day this week despite very few people choosing to, mainly because the IT equipment is better so I’m more productive.

That’s interesting. In my place the consensus is the opposite. People’s home IT setup is superior to the office and the connection speed for video calls better too.
    The guy who sits opposite me talks so damn loudly that every time I’m on a Zoom call clients complain about the background noise.
    Get a directional microphone that picks up you and not the person opposite. I can't help with the loud person behind you.

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

Indeed, this is a government of U turns, so what is implausible about the biggest U turn of all?

In the last months we have decided that the NI protocol is unworkable, that we cannot run inbound customs at the Channel, and now that we need to import European workers.

I don't think Rejoin is on the agenda yet for a major party (celtic nationalists apart) but I can see that it won't just be the LDs wanting much closer alignment to the Single Market.
    Missing the point. With Brexit U turns are a matter for the UK government. Within the EU U turns on FOM can't be done. The point is who has the power to decide.

One man's "u-turn" is another man's "flexibility to respond to a situation - a flexibility not available whilst in the EU".
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    Taz said:

FF43 said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Apart from the fact it is clearly NOT working, yes. Hence the Communist East Europe style shortages.
    East european style shortages. Lol

There’s panic buying on petrol due to deliberately provocative statements from the fuel industry to he force the govts hand and the supermarkets are full. Just been to do the weekly shop and my Sainsbury’s is full of product.
    The key point people is whether there is a fuel shortfall due to driver shortage, or not. The government inconsistently claims there are no shortages and that shortages are good because they drive up wages. Shortages are at some level government policy, if only by default.

Things weren't that bad in old Eastern Europe. No-one starved, there was full employment and of people had to queue for things, that's how it was. Nevertheless they chose something different when they had the choice in 1989. To the extent there is one that's the vision for Brexit Britain and well.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

moonshine said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

Foxy said:

Charles said:

moonshine said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

Missing the point. With Brexit U turns are a matter for the UK government. Within the EU U turns on FOM can't be done. The point is who has the power to decide.

One man's "u-turn" is another man's "flexibility to respond to a situation - a flexibility not available whilst in the EU".
    While I don't like this u-turn (since I stand by "just pay more" as the solution) . . . it really does crystalise the nimble versus sclerotic divide.
  • Options
    On the fuel thing - pretty soon everyone inclined to panic buy will have a full tank. Then demand will be lower than normal for a few days - it's harder for domestic households to stockpile fuel than bog roll - and so the fuel stations will all be full of fuel again.

There's a limit to how far this crisis can escalate. It's very different to 2000.
  • Options

HYUFDism crystalised.

It was Lloyd George, a Liberal PM, who used the Black and Tans to deal with the IRA.

• Options

Conclusions:

As part of its green agenda, the government is letting ICE drivers experience range anxiety to get them used to electric cars.
    I am tempted to drive by in my e-niro and do this:

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFDism crystalised.

It was Lloyd George, a Liberal PM, who used the Black and Tans to deal with the IRA.

Finally, a Lib you can get behind.
  • Options
    MattW said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

I also expect the EU, and France specifically, to agree a mutually beneficial European defence and security pact and I understand Boris spoke to Macron yesteday and this was the subject of the meeting 10 days ago with Rutte at no 10

I'm not sure I see a path to that until such time as Germany becomes less mercantilist, and EuCo comes to terms with the increased weight which is due to the Eastern countries of the EU - about which they are currently in denial.

It was the subject of the meeting by Mark Rutte to No 10 a week last friday and does seen very much on the agenda

As I said Boris spoke to Macron yesterday, and with the US now part of AUKUS Europe needs a UK - France agreement for its defence
  • Options

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

I am far from saying that brexit is not reversible

I am not @HYUFD telling the Scots they cannot have indyref2 in 40 years and opinions do change and every 5 years or so governments face the electorate

My main argument is that the visa quota scheme that Boris is about to announce is the one designed and legislated for post Brexit

The world is changing and as we have seen with AUKUS and our application to join CPTPP that we are seeking global influence and new markets and of course that does make rejoining the EU far more complex and distant

I therefore do not see a path to rejoin the EU and we need to make this work and move on

However, it may come about sometime in the future that we are able to agree a closer relationship with the EU and that would be excellent
    It is actually Boris, the Tory leader, who has said there should be no indyref2 for 40 years, that is the position of the Tory Party as long as we are in power

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wait-40-years-for-another-scottish-independence-vote-says-boris-johnson-kwb7njq99
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFDism crystalised.

That author's name has to be a pseudonym - and a very leading one. I wonder if the editor even realised?
    It's a photoshop effort. Note 1916 comments.

The photo is taken from this Irish Times article on the Black and Tans: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/come-out-ye-black-and-tans-think-you-know-what-it-s-about-you-probably-don-t-1.3832601
    Ah, thanks.

I did discover BTW that there is a Regiment of the Black & Tans in LA - gents who, erm, like uniforms, looks strictly NSFW so did not inquire further to see if there is any connection with Irish history.
    Though if you want to see a historical echo of the Black and Tans, just look at American policing. The same characterestic light touch policing by trigger happy military vets with army surplus kit.
    https://tankandafvnews.com/2015/11/28/police-m113-gallery/

The range of markings on this one vehicle family makes your point nicely.

Mr Trump btw reversed Mr Obama's ban on further M113 purchases. Now the mobile to pimp is a MRAP It seems.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/02/california-sheriffs-department-mrap-armored-vehicles-trump
  • Options
    isam said:

DavidL said:

NEW: Keir Starmer has abandoned his controversial electoral college reforms overnight.

A spokesman says he will still bring other measures to "better connect us with working people and re-orient us toward the voters who can take us to power".

He's not very savvy, and is prone to picking fights with the party's powerful and most foolish idealogues that he can't beat, but then he is quite a crisp performer at PMQs and being "truly pathetic" got him from state school to senior lawyer.

His biggest problem is that he is hated by the eye-swivellers and doesn't understand that he is surrounded by duplicitous backstabbers, which probably in itself makes him unsuitable for his current role.

I am interested as to why loyal Conservatives like yourself are as vexed by the man as you are. Particularly as your own Prime Minister isn't really a role model for hard work, propriety and competence.
    Dull but decent, and hard working, might be enough, against lazy, untrustworthy, and dishonest
  • Options

On the fuel thing - pretty soon everyone inclined to panic buy will have a full tank. Then demand will be lower than normal for a few days - it's harder for domestic households to stockpile fuel than bog roll - and so the fuel stations will all be full of fuel again.

There's a limit to how far this crisis can escalate. It's very different to 2000.

Isn't the problem a 10 day delay to refuel the stations? So those that are out now, won't necessarily be fine in a few days and every hour more are running out?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226

kle4 said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

At my work the senior managers now coming in, middle managers tending not to do so and my impression is that some of them are working long hours at home but not delegating work to the juniors/interns where there is a split between those who are happy to do a few hours a day and then sit at their parents getting paid to watch Netflix and play video games, whist others are coming into the office and generally being pro-active.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

I am not @HYUFD telling the Scots they cannot have indyref2 in 40 years and opinions do change and every 5 years or so governments face the electorate

My main argument is that the visa quota scheme that Boris is about to announce is the one designed and legislated for post Brexit

The world is changing and as we have seen with AUKUS and our application to join CPTPP that we are seeking global influence and new markets and of course that does make rejoining the EU far more complex and distant

I therefore do not see a path to rejoin the EU and we need to make this work and move on

However, it may come about sometime in the future that we are able to agree a closer relationship with the EU and that would be excellent
    It is actually Boris, the Tory leader, who has said there should be no indyref2 for 40 years, that is the position of the Tory Party as long as we are in power

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wait-40-years-for-another-scottish-independence-vote-says-boris-johnson-kwb7njq99
    Because Boris never changes track does he? 😂
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

Yes, because he never changes his mind!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    mickydroy said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

Dull but decent, and hard working, might be enough, against lazy, untrustworthy, and dishonest
    So everyone says, but not really working so far - Labour got their worst ever vote share in the constituency in each of the last three English by elections (real votes) and the poll respondents all seem to prefer Boris/Tories in the Leader Ratings and VI (hypotheticals)
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

There is no reason for him to allow a referendum.

If No wins narrowly again then the SNP will demand indyref3 within a few years anyway given the UK government had broken its commitment to only hold a referendum once a generation and given in to them.

If Yes wins then the Union breaks up and he would have to resign as PM the very next day as Cameron did after Brexit and as Cameron would have resigned had Scotland voted Yes in 2014.

Plus even most Scots do not want another indyref2 for at least 5 years by which time Starmer could be PM and have to make the decision and certainly most Scots do not want indyref2 in 2 years as Sturgeon wants

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/politics/7674473/scottish-independence-poll-sturgeon-2023/

• Options
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

Boris saying one thing and sticking to it - seriously

His reputation is exactly the opposite if it is beneficial to him
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

If No wins narrowly again then the SNP will demand indyref3 within a few years anyway.

If Yes wins then the Union breaks up and he would have to resign as PM the very next day as Cameron did after Brexit and as Cameron would have resigned had Scotland voted Yes in 2014
    But the Unioin has already broken up and Mr Johnson hasn't resigned. Border down the Irish Sea, part of 'Britain' [sic] now in the EU, and all that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFDism crystalised.

Lloyd George was one of the top 3 PMs of the first half of the 20th century after Churchill and ahead of Attlee
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

The UK and France are already in NATO and the 2010 Lancaster House treaties. How many do they need to be in together?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

If No wins narrowly again then the SNP will demand indyref3 within a few years anyway given the UK government had broken its commitment to only hold a referendum once a generation and given in to them.

If Yes wins then the Union breaks up and he would have to resign as PM the very next day as Cameron did after Brexit and as Cameron would have resigned had Scotland voted Yes in 2014.

Plus even most Scots do not want another indyref2 for at least 5 years by which time Starmer could be PM and have to make the decision and certainly most Scots do not want indyref2 in 2 years as Sturgeon wants

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/politics/7674473/scottish-independence-poll-sturgeon-2023/

I suggest that the subject be changed to something novel and interesting to PBers in general, to save you the stress of citing that poll another 23 times. I recommend Deltic diesels.
  • Options

Isn't the problem a 10 day delay to refuel the stations? So those that are out now, won't necessarily be fine in a few days and every hour more are running out?
    What is meant by a 10 day delay? It makes it sound like there will be no fuel delivered for 10 days, but that's not right. There is lots of fuel being delivered everywhere every day.

It sounds more like they are expecting it to take 10 days for the distribution of fuel to catch up to the panic buying that is happening.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited September 2021

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

Yes, akin to sawing off your arms and legs before the Olympic 100m final thinking you have a chance of winning.

That's the madness we are all facing. I just feel sorry for the young - continually shafted by the oldies.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFDism crystalised.

Lloyd George was one of the top 3 PMs of the first half of the 20th century after Churchill and ahead of Attlee
    He was a lying turd who would roger a table leg. And wrote history to make himself look good.

Attlee didn't do either AFAIK.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Dura_Ace said:

The UK and France are already in NATO and the 2010 Lancaster House treaties. How many do they need to be in together?
    The more the better. It's all for show anyway.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

I have to say, with the greatest of respect, that is utter guff.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited September 2021
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

There is no reason for him to agree indyref 2 at present, but if it becomes an advantage to do so watch him change his mind

The one thing about Boris is his ability to say one thing and then do another, but remarkably so far he has got away with it
  • Options
    Have to say EV manufacturers must be getting a lot of clicks today.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

Yes, akin to sawing off your arms and legs before the Olympic 100m final thinking you have a chance of winning.

That's the madness we are all facing. I just feel sorry for the young - continually shafted by the oldies.
    Why do you feel sorry for the young? There's now 100,000 trucking vacancies available over the next few years which will pay a better wage. We just need to legislate to stop insurance companies discriminating against young drivers.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

The meeting with Rutte and Boris was about 'security' and defence for the EU
  • Options
    Some people in the Labour Party are seeking to hijack the debate and focus on the pay and conditions of working people.

It is ridiculous to obsess about such a fringe issue that is irrelevant to the vast majority of voters up and down the country.

Let's get back to the issues that really matter. Palestine, gender-neutral bathrooms and the correct use of pronouns.

Sometimes I despair at the direction the party is taking.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

There's not a long career in prospect for prospective fuel delivery drivers.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

MattW said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

It was the subject of the meeting by Mark Rutte to No 10 a week last friday and does seen very much on the agenda

As I said Boris spoke to Macron yesterday, and with the US now part of AUKUS Europe needs a UK - France agreement for its defence
    I see that EuCo really has a lot of internal problems to work through. Plus working out what it actually wants.

1 - What is the relation to other arrangements such as Combined Joint Expeditionary Force (CJEF) (Anglo-French), the Very High Readiness Joint Task Force (VJTF) (NATO) etc?

2 - What happens with countries that come out against it? eg as Sweden did on 5/9?
    (https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/news/non-nato-member-sweden-rejects-eu-rapid-reaction-force/)

3 - Who will do command and control?
    Will Paris really trust Brussels with responsibility for French lives? Will they trust UVDL and her fellows to run a Defence initiative?

Is the aim to supplant NATO? How will it work?

Where will the military resources come from? Who will intervene when Iran grabs an EU tanker, or China starts keeping Greek or Norwegian ships out of the South China Sea as a power play? What happens if Russia invades the Baltics, or half of Hungary?

I would love there to be a coherent EU defence force, but it's a hell of a difficult project, and the EU itself is in quite a lot of chaos.

• Options
    isam said:

mickydroy said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

So everyone says, but not really working so far - Labour got their worst ever vote share in the constituency in each of the last three English by elections (real votes) and the poll respondents all seem to prefer Boris/Tories in the Leader Ratings and VI (hypotheticals)
    I dont think for one minute, that Starmer, will win a G.E., but he took over a dysfunctional party, and I still think history might be kinder to him than the liar in No 10
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

I suggest that the subject be changed to something novel and interesting to PBers in general, to save you the stress of citing that poll another 23 times. I recommend Deltic diesels.
    I found that to be a little light relief and a big smile came over me
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Wait till till the electricity black-outs start happening.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

Change is a very difficult concept for many
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Is there anything more pathetic than panic buyers?

Good morning PB
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

That's a good thing - unintended but beneficial.

Chuckled when I went out (in my EV) in SW London to see gridlock as every Tom, Dick and Harry was queuing up for fuel.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

The young shall be old one day. Then they can do the shafting. What goes around comes around ;)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

There will always be a need for tanker drivers.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

I found that to be a little light relief and a big smile came over me
    As it happens I had a Fleischer 1960s / 1970s OO guage model train through the post this morning.

Addressed to my B-I-L, who has never live here, by an ebay seller.

He's returning to his childhood.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

I see that EuCo really has a lot of internal problems to work through. Plus working out what it actually wants.

1 - What is the relation to other arrangements such as Combined Joint Expeditionary Force (CJEF) (Anglo-French), the Very High Readiness Joint Task Force (VJTF) (NATO) etc?

2 - What happens with countries that come out against it? eg as Sweden did on 5/9?
    (https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/news/non-nato-member-sweden-rejects-eu-rapid-reaction-force/)

Will Paris really trust Brussels with responsibility for French lives? Will they trust UVDL and her fellows to run a Defence initiative?

Where will the military resources come from? Who will intervene when Iran grabs an EU tanker, or China starts keeping Greek or Norwegian ships out of the South China Sea as a power play? What happens if Russia invades the Baltics, or half of Hungary?

I would love there to be a coherent EU defence force, but it's a hell of a difficult project, and the EU itself is in quite a lot of chaos.

Good post
  • Options
    Pragmatic rogues and chancers have a head start in the popularity stakes over moralists, worthies, and preachers. I see Lloyd George is mentioned below.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Dura_Ace said:

And what is the likelihood of Johnson sticking to a treaty that he has signed? Slightly less value than last weeks fish wrapper, IMO.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Good morning PB

Indeed there is - those who moan about panic buyers while themselves just popping out to top up the tank. Just in case, you know?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Which is why EV as a backup battery for home electricity is something we need to develop. EVs are going to win, the question is how long it will take everyone to get one. As an inner Londoner I've never bothered with a car, may need to look into one in Zurich. Will definitely get an EV, maybe a Model S.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I liked your comment but I really do not ,as I cannot see anyway electricity will replace petrol/diesel in cars in the near future without lots of supply problems
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, like farriers there will be a niche market.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Is there a market on that?

I don't see anything very serious happening.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I would be very surprised if the tanker driver workforce was as much as a tenth of its present size in 20 years time.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

We have accepted Brexit. We just think it's fucking stupid and will take a certain grim satisfaction in pointing out its widely-predicted negative consequences, as they occur. Brexiteers are free to take similar delight in its upsides, should they ever manifest themselves.

It occurred to me this morning that the BoZo fanbois can still cheer their man for now.

He is still riding high (ish) but one day his star will wane again.

In the meantime, Brexit will be a shitshow for the rest of our lives.

We are never going to run out of material...
    Doesn’t this dickhead ever take a day off or do anything productive with his life ?
    No, he's still PM.

Boom boom etc
    If @Scott_xP was Johnson that would blow my mind. The ultimate British version of QAnon, literally fighting against himself on an obscure political betting website...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

On topic, and thanks for the header, there was an interesting discussion on R5 yesterday. They had the standard right wing think tank person and someone from the Guardian to represent the leftish point of view (I sometimes struggle to decide if Labour or the Guardian is actually representing leftish views in this country).

What was interesting was that the Guardian writer was far more enthusiastic about Boris's speech in the UN (apart from the Kermit joke) than the think tank chap. She acknowledged that when Boris put his enthusiasm behind something he could be genuinely influential and get things done. Of course this was all laced with comments about him having the concentration span of a goldfish and his inclination to move on all too rapidly to his next enthusiasm but she emphasised that right now he was in the right place and "we should all be rowing in behind him" on this.

Whether you agree with this or not it seems to me that this is the quintessential problem for the Greens: are they a pressure group trying to influence government policy or are they a real political party? I think that they are more effective as the former and they clearly have influenced the national discussion. Voting green is not a wasted vote in this scenario, not at all. It is an indication that the mainstream politicians should pay attention.

It is also an indication of the problem for Starmer. Someone who is ideologically promiscuous as Boris (is ideologically really needed) will have no problem in seizing an agenda like this, even if it does not fit with traditional emphasis on the economy and business of Tories such as think tank guy. Creating a distinctive position that might seize the imagination of the public is going to be very difficult for Starmer.

I agree with all that, but it could be a problem for Boris as well. Over on Conservative Home, there is constant moaning about all the "green crap" that the government is going along with. More Conservatives than Labourites do not support the green agenda in the slightest, and some may turn on Boris.
    The anti-Green brigade have a couple of interesting points to make, which over time will become collectively more important.

Broadly they are:

The science may be wrong
    The science may be right but the benefits may be much greater than believed
    The solution to problems since 1800 have been more not less management and technology; this one is the same

and the killer, not sufficiently appreciated yet:

If the forecasts are correct it is going to happen anyway, with the maximum difference being + or - a few years. After all the hype of the last few decades, more CO2 goes into the air this year than ever before. It is obvious that this will not stop soon enough.

BTW it is obvious from the lifestyle of elites, political and other, that they do not believe their own rhetoric.

The final point is a banker, sadly. We accept that it is beyond our capability by OOM to stop the East Coast falling into the sea, or to prevent a single earthquake or neutralise a single volcano, so how do we expect to intervene in a pan-world catastrophe, even of our making?

"The science may be wrong" is receding in the rear view mirror though. In the lifetime of PB climate change has changed from being mainly predictions to largely observed present facts. And the benefits argument is very iffy too. The world is very complex and very interdependent so it's sort of like a house of cards - any change is highly likely to be for the worse.
    Although we have seen a number of adverse events from forest fires to droughts blamed on global warming these, to me, are not the real threat, unpleasant as they are. I fear that there will come an inflexion point where gradual change will very rapidly become radical and all too possibly irreversible change. At the moment we are not so much in the last chance saloon but playing the role of the alcoholic with a dodgy liver who thinks one more drink can't hurt.

My concern is that it may already be too late to stop this but even if I am wrong on this we need to stop rolling the dice.
    I think you have hit on an unintended truth: “a number of adverse events … blamed on climate change”

There have always been severe forest fires in California as part of the natural cycle.

The economic cost has gotten higher. But in large part this is due to the fact that idiots are building in known fire zones (it’s like complaining that there is more flooding in the UK as a consequence of global warming and ignoring the fact that building on flood plains with inadequate mitigation will result in more flooding events)

But the media likes simple dramatic stories (fed by politicians). So it’s all due to climate change and not to sloppily run utilities, poor regular, fire prevention policies (ironically part of the problem is the refuse to allow small fires which burn the brushwood) and housing policy. Because someone can be blamed for the longer list but everyone can be blamed for climate change
  • Options
    edited September 2021

GIN1138 said:

Good morning PB

Indeed there is - those who moan about panic buyers while themselves just popping out to top up the tank. Just in case, you know?
    Hah! Was just about to anecdote about it, my dad was on a video call to his aunt just now and she was moaning about having to queue for 40 mins to fill up. Naturally he asked why she bothered, her answer "well I only had 150 miles of range left" word for fucking word. She's 70 and barely drives.

My wife is finding this all hilarious. Her view of British people is that we're either massively complacent or in a blind panic. There's no in between.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    edited September 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Walked past the petrol station near my parents on the way there just now, a tanker was in the station (Esso) already a queue building on the main road. People are idiots. I wonder how many days this one will take to pass. I'm guessing by Tuesday when people see that the petrol pumps are still running they'll give up the idiotic panic buying.

The problem is that many people aren't people aren't really panic buying, which is can be a slippery concept, but are often simply people who need transport more urgently than most, and acting as they believe it precautionarily. The same often applies to empty supermarkets and shelves.
    Not really. Anyone who is buying petrol when they normally wouldn't is panic buying. One of the major reasons supermarket shelves were struggling early in the pandemic wasn't just panic buying, it was also that restaurants and takeaways were closed so suddenly food demand at supermarkets went up 20% as everyone was eating at home. That was a semi-permanent increase which is only now unwinding with some estimates that supermarkets will see a permanent increase of around 10% in food sales.

There is no such effect for petrol. It's idiots who think that the nation will somehow run out of petrol. It won't.
    Here we go again. It's recursive. Idiots are just as effective as driver shortages at limiting the amount of fuel available. So even though the appropriate response to driver shortages is Keep calm, the appropriate response to driver shortages plus Idiots responding inappropriately to driver shortages is Take action.
    I must object (or 'call out', in wokespeak) to sneering at people who are filling up their cars with petrol at the moment. Most of them just need enough petrol to make sure that they can get to work. Many employers are unforgiving and much employment is actually self employment, where failure to turn up on time has adverse consequences. So obviously, in the world of ancient common sense, it is a good idea to fill up with petrol when you have the opportunity, given the apparent problems at petrol stations at the moment. Most people don't think beyond that, and why should they.

Addendum: My wifes employer actually told her to fill up with petrol to make sure she can get to work. Suggested that she goes to the petrol station at 1 am in the morning when her boss thought it might be quiet! Obviously in her free time. Lol.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Good morning PB

Well I put some petrol in on Wednesday morning as my petrol warning light was on and would have done so anyway (at that time the garage was deserted)

£30 which shall keep me going for around 3-4 weeks as I rarely drive to be honest...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I now find that I can spend 2.5 hours driving back and forward to Edinburgh in a day and I still get more work done than I do in my office in the house. Its irrational but at work I have a work mindset, I get on with it. Here, the temptation of PB and many other distractions seems ever present.
    Very well put. My procrastination is through the roof, then I need to evening work after dinner. All about headspace.
    I am getting to the point that my procrastination is having to wait in line.
    Precrastination?
  • Options
    It is a few days old, but I just saw this headline: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/biden-wanted-first-call-to-be-to-angela-merkel-but-she-blew-him-off/ar-AAOL0E7?ocid=entnewsntp

World leaders blowing each other off is now in fashion, apparently. Pass me the mind bleach
  • Options

murali_s said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

Especially when that *change* is detrimental.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Walked past the petrol station near my parents on the way there just now, a tanker was in the station (Esso) already a queue building on the main road. People are idiots. I wonder how many days this one will take to pass. I'm guessing by Tuesday when people see that the petrol pumps are still running they'll give up the idiotic panic buying.

The problem is that many people aren't people aren't really panic buying, which is can be a slippery concept, but are often simply people who need transport more urgently than most, and acting as they believe it precautionarily. The same often applies to empty supermarkets and shelves.
    Not really. Anyone who is buying petrol when they normally wouldn't is panic buying. One of the major reasons supermarket shelves were struggling early in the pandemic wasn't just panic buying, it was also that restaurants and takeaways were closed so suddenly food demand at supermarkets went up 20% as everyone was eating at home. That was a semi-permanent increase which is only now unwinding with some estimates that supermarkets will see a permanent increase of around 10% in food sales.

There is no such effect for petrol. It's idiots who think that the nation will somehow run out of petrol. It won't.
    Here we go again. It's recursive. Idiots are just as effective as driver shortages at limiting the amount of fuel available. So even though the appropriate response to driver shortages is Keep calm, the appropriate response to driver shortages plus Idiots responding inappropriately to driver shortages is Take action.
    Yes and when the rest of the lemmings walk off a cliff I'm sure it will be rational to take that same action.

There is no rational decision making here. It's the same as people buying boot loads of bog roll. We make it in the UK, it was never, ever going to run out. We refine petrol in the UK, it is never going to run out.
    Where it is matters as much as how much there is.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Yes, and so we have shortage of care workers, fruit pickers , drivers, etc , etc , etc. It is really working to our advantage if you are deluded and a Tory cult member.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Good morning PB

Well I put some petrol in on Wednesday morning as my petrol warning light was on and would have done so anyway (at that time the garage was deserted)

£30 which shall keep me going for around 3-4 weeks as I rarely drive to be honest...
    Likely story GIN! We all know you were there with 7 jerry cans in the boot! 😄
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Good morning PB

My wife's car has just had its MOT and she did 165 miles all year

Mind you, the hairdresser is only half a mile away and the doctor and dentist 2 miles
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Good morning PB

Likely story GIN! We all know you were there with 7 jerry cans in the boot! 😄
    You caught me out ;)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

If No wins narrowly again then the SNP will demand indyref3 within a few years anyway.

If Yes wins then the Union breaks up and he would have to resign as PM the very next day as Cameron did after Brexit and as Cameron would have resigned had Scotland voted Yes in 2014
    But the Unioin has already broken up and Mr Johnson hasn't resigned. Border down the Irish Sea, part of 'Britain' [sic] now in the EU, and all that.
    NI remains in the UK and Boris and the UK government are about to reimpose direct rule from London over NI as Sir Jeffrey Donaldson and the DUP and Unionists are about to withdraw from the NI executive until the EU agree with Lord Frost that the NIP must be amended and the Irish Sea border removed
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

On topic, and thanks for the header, there was an interesting discussion on R5 yesterday. They had the standard right wing think tank person and someone from the Guardian to represent the leftish point of view (I sometimes struggle to decide if Labour or the Guardian is actually representing leftish views in this country).

What was interesting was that the Guardian writer was far more enthusiastic about Boris's speech in the UN (apart from the Kermit joke) than the think tank chap. She acknowledged that when Boris put his enthusiasm behind something he could be genuinely influential and get things done. Of course this was all laced with comments about him having the concentration span of a goldfish and his inclination to move on all too rapidly to his next enthusiasm but she emphasised that right now he was in the right place and "we should all be rowing in behind him" on this.

Whether you agree with this or not it seems to me that this is the quintessential problem for the Greens: are they a pressure group trying to influence government policy or are they a real political party? I think that they are more effective as the former and they clearly have influenced the national discussion. Voting green is not a wasted vote in this scenario, not at all. It is an indication that the mainstream politicians should pay attention.

It is also an indication of the problem for Starmer. Someone who is ideologically promiscuous as Boris (is ideologically really needed) will have no problem in seizing an agenda like this, even if it does not fit with traditional emphasis on the economy and business of Tories such as think tank guy. Creating a distinctive position that might seize the imagination of the public is going to be very difficult for Starmer.

I agree with all that, but it could be a problem for Boris as well. Over on Conservative Home, there is constant moaning about all the "green crap" that the government is going along with. More Conservatives than Labourites do not support the green agenda in the slightest, and some may turn on Boris.
    The anti-Green brigade have a couple of interesting points to make, which over time will become collectively more important.

Broadly they are:

The science may be wrong
    The science may be right but the benefits may be much greater than believed
    The solution to problems since 1800 have been more not less management and technology; this one is the same

and the killer, not sufficiently appreciated yet:

If the forecasts are correct it is going to happen anyway, with the maximum difference being + or - a few years. After all the hype of the last few decades, more CO2 goes into the air this year than ever before. It is obvious that this will not stop soon enough.

BTW it is obvious from the lifestyle of elites, political and other, that they do not believe their own rhetoric.

The final point is a banker, sadly. We accept that it is beyond our capability by OOM to stop the East Coast falling into the sea, or to prevent a single earthquake or neutralise a single volcano, so how do we expect to intervene in a pan-world catastrophe, even of our making?

"The science may be wrong" is receding in the rear view mirror though. In the lifetime of PB climate change has changed from being mainly predictions to largely observed present facts. And the benefits argument is very iffy too. The world is very complex and very interdependent so it's sort of like a house of cards - any change is highly likely to be for the worse.
    Although we have seen a number of adverse events from forest fires to droughts blamed on global warming these, to me, are not the real threat, unpleasant as they are. I fear that there will come an inflexion point where gradual change will very rapidly become radical and all too possibly irreversible change. At the moment we are not so much in the last chance saloon but playing the role of the alcoholic with a dodgy liver who thinks one more drink can't hurt.

My concern is that it may already be too late to stop this but even if I am wrong on this we need to stop rolling the dice.
    I think you have hit on an unintended truth: “a number of adverse events … blamed on climate change”

There have always been severe forest fires in California as part of the natural cycle.

The economic cost has gotten higher. But in large part this is due to the fact that idiots are building in known fire zones (it’s like complaining that there is more flooding in the UK as a consequence of global warming and ignoring the fact that building on flood plains with inadequate mitigation will result in more flooding events)

But the media likes simple dramatic stories (fed by politicians). So it’s all due to climate change and not to sloppily run utilities, poor regular, fire prevention policies (ironically part of the problem is the refuse to allow small fires which burn the brushwood) and housing policy. Because someone can be blamed for the longer list but everyone can be blamed for climate change
    California is experiencing more "fire weather" than ever before. Fire weather is the combination of heat, dryness and wind that makes massive wildfires spread.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/09/fire-weather-is-getting-worse-in-the-american-west
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Yes, and so we have shortage of care workers, fruit pickers , drivers, etc , etc , etc. It is really working to our advantage if you are deluded and a Tory cult member.
    Irony alert klaxon on overdrive!!! Blinkered Alex Salmond fanboy accuses another person of being deluded and a member of a cult lol.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Good morning PB

Mind you, the hairdresser is only half a mile away and the doctor and dentist 2 miles

Hope you and Mrs G are well! :D
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    Foxy said:

felix said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

I voted Remain but can understand the issue was really about control as much as a view about FOM. The vaccine rollout showed how the government could act at a speed which in those critical weeks the EU was unable to match. This decision shows a similar ability. Personally I think, in this case that decision is not correct but it has the merit of being under the control of the government rather than the EU. Policies do of course matter but it seems for some the only accpetable rosette is the one with EU written on it.
    I couldn't care less about whether we are in the EU anymore. We voted to leave and have left.

What I do care about is the government being honest about the long term economy and structure of the country. We need immigration, not because of the EU, or because its popular or good for business, but because our demographics demand it. There is no realistic alternative.

We will get immigration, or we hit problems like this that will not be tolerated. So temporary schemes will be put in place, that will be extended ad nauseum, because the government can't admit the reality that immigration is needed.
    The alternative to immigration (which is likely to continue, just in African and Asian groups instead of European) is to readjust economy and life style.

To import agricultural produce rather than agricultural workers, particularly in non-mechanised sectors like market gardening and seasonal produce.

Similar in some manufacturing sectors.

To go out fewer times on the hospitality sector, and pay more when we do so.

To care for our own elderly relatives, rather than rely on immigrants to do so.

Not necessarily bad changes for society as a whole, but it won't be the "metropolitan elite" that see their horizons narrowed, they can still afford it.
    We would need to produce something to meet your ideals, if we are not producing anything then where do we get the money to pay for all the imports.
    Going out less means less jobs as well so double whammy.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yes and when the rest of the lemmings walk off a cliff I'm sure it will be rational to take that same action.

There is no rational decision making here. It's the same as people buying boot loads of bog roll. We make it in the UK, it was never, ever going to run out. We refine petrol in the UK, it is never going to run out.
    Where it is matters as much as how much there is.
    Not really, the petrol isn't going to run out. 20 locations out if 1200 having issues is a nothing deal. Especially when other firms all said they didn't have any problems.

This is all a blatant bit of blackmail from BP to get the government to relent on cheap foreign labour. The government folded.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

But Angela Rayner has plans, and ones that could go down very well with the Brexity workers. She is one canny politician. Never mistake lack of formal education with lack of intelligence.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/24/labour-would-empower-unions-to-drive-up-wages-says-angela-rayner
    Listenin’ to her this mornin’ was interestin’. Snobbish point? Maybe. Thatcher took voice lessons to improve her chances, I wonder if Rayner might consider it, or if she feels the way she speaks is part of who she is?
    I think that it is part of who she is and she won't change it, any more than she would change her dress sense. She is a bit of a rarity in the Labour Party, a conviction politician with a plan.
    I would love to agree; Angela Rayner has really good qualities. Her interview on R4 Today just now was a good display of this. But there are two difficulties when looking at electability and image at GE or next leader time.

Her simple clarity and conviction are great. But this makes it all the more obvious, and toe curling, when, as this morning, she goes into evasion mode.

And it is obvious that she wants to answer, with conviction, simplicity and clarity, every single question except the ones the interviewer, and listener, want her to answer. The top flight political geniuses hide this better.

A more general Labour difficulty; by this point Blair could answer policy questions with: I have a better one than the Tories and here it is. Labour is not anywhere close yet to that position.

To me.. she comes across as thick as two short planks..how she got where she us is a matter for comjecture.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

My Tesla already on order!
  • Options
    Just look at the shite interviews that she's done on YouTube... you have to be thick to fail so spectacularly.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Good morning PB

With that little driving I would start to worry about the evaporation of some of the fractions in the petrol in the tank!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Get yourself a Model S!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    MattW said:

PESCO is an enhanced co-operation area so EU member states can opt not to participate (as Denmark and Malta did).

The aim is to (eventually) replace NATO with a defence organisation in which Europe has the strategic autonomy it currently lacks.

It's commanded by the OC Eurocorps (a German three star at the moment) though not all PESCO members are in Eurocorps.

It's going to take a long time but you can tell they are on the right track because the US fucking hates it. NATO is still very important but more domains are moving under PESCO control (particularly cyber and C4ISR) and the direction of travel is very clear.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Look on the bright side - we've created a strategic petrol/diesel reserve, in 31,700,000 individual fuel tanks.
    And think of the unexpected tax-take bonanza …
    Not really, the spending is only being brought forwards. People aren't suddenly going to drive more.
    But brought forward from an infinite time in the future. It’s a stock & flow question
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

But Angela Rayner has plans, and ones that could go down very well with the Brexity workers. She is one canny politician. Never mistake lack of formal education with lack of intelligence.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/24/labour-would-empower-unions-to-drive-up-wages-says-angela-rayner
    Listenin’ to her this mornin’ was interestin’. Snobbish point? Maybe. Thatcher took voice lessons to improve her chances, I wonder if Rayner might consider it, or if she feels the way she speaks is part of who she is?
    I think that it is part of who she is and she won't change it, any more than she would change her dress sense. She is a bit of a rarity in the Labour Party, a conviction politician with a plan.
    I would love to agree; Angela Rayner has really good qualities. Her interview on R4 Today just now was a good display of this. But there are two difficulties when looking at electability and image at GE or next leader time.

Her simple clarity and conviction are great. But this makes it all the more obvious, and toe curling, when, as this morning, she goes into evasion mode.

And it is obvious that she wants to answer, with conviction, simplicity and clarity, every single question except the ones the interviewer, and listener, want her to answer. The top flight political geniuses hide this better.

A more general Labour difficulty; by this point Blair could answer policy questions with: I have a better one than the Tories and here it is. Labour is not anywhere close yet to that position.

To me.. she comes across as thick as two short planks..how she got where she us is a matter for comjecture.
    The same could be said about you.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Get yourself a Model S!
    I've gone for the 3 with duel motor for longer range. Still does 0-60 in 4secs, so should be fun
  • Options

Just look at the shite interviews that she's done on YouTube... you have to be thick to fail so spectacularly.

I'd imagine there are very few PBers who have gone to the bother of looking at Rayner interviews on Youtube. That you have is a bit..weird.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Get yourself a Model S!
    Y ?
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Look on the bright side - we've created a strategic petrol/diesel reserve, in 31,700,000 individual fuel tanks.
    And think of the unexpected tax-take bonanza …
    Not really, the spending is only being brought forwards. People aren't suddenly going to drive more.
    But brought forward from an infinite time in the future. It’s a stock & flow question
    No, brought forwards from the immediate future. In a couple of weeks forecourts will be watching tumbleweed in between the few commuters and Uber drivers fill up.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Good morning PB

Hope you and Mrs G are well! :D
    Thanks GIN

We are very grateful for all our blessings but tempus fugit but we keep taking our pills !!!

• Options

kle4 said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

My nephew's job is based in London. For the past year he hasn't been paying rent for a place in London and is WFH back at his parents' place in Yorkshire. Still earning London wages, with minimal outgoings. He's not exactly desperate to return to the office.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Just so we're clear...

Especially when that *change* is detrimental.
    Detrimental to some, positive to others
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Never confuse lack of formal education with lack of intelligence. She is one clever woman.

An interesting profile in the Times today, on the thoughts of Rayner, on a number of issues.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1441437636950888449?s=19

This caught my eye for being unexpected:

Notably, Rayner sees similarities between herself and Boris Johnson, who also suffered emotional deprivation as a child and whose late mother too suffered from mental health problems

“There are some issues that are not class-based” she remarks https://t.co/0Y0x8Zv831
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,821
    The European press are having a field day with the UKs supply issues . A bad few weeks for the anti EU brigade in mainland Europe . All the pro EU side have to say is look at the clusterfxck in the UK , do you really want all this drama .
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Some people in the Labour Party are seeking to hijack the debate and focus on the pay and conditions of working people.

It is ridiculous to obsess about such a fringe issue that is irrelevant to the vast majority of voters up and down the country.

Let's get back to the issues that really matter. Palestine, gender-neutral bathrooms and the correct use of pronouns.

Sometimes I despair at the direction the party is taking.

I shouldn't despair too much. Seems to me that this can be said of all parties at the moment.

Conservatives despair of the direction their party is taking (populism); LibDems (lack of liberalism); The Green Party (watermelons).
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Dura_Ace said:

MattW said:

PESCO is an enhanced co-operation area so EU member states can opt not to participate (as Denmark and Malta did).

The aim is to (eventually) replace NATO with a defence organisation in which Europe has the strategic autonomy it currently lacks.

It's commanded by the OC Eurocorps (a German three star at the moment) though not all PESCO members are in Eurocorps.

It's going to take a long time but you can tell they are on the right track because the US fucking hates it. NATO is still very important but more domains are moving under PESCO control (particularly cyber and C4ISR) and the direction of travel is very clear.
    Generally agree with that, but EU Defense Cooperation started in 1987 with the Franco-German Brigade, which became the Eurocorps.

The acid test I guess is credible deterrence of Russia doing another Ukraine.

How long before that is in place? By 2040, 2050 if they are very, very lucky?
This discussion has been closed.