Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

That YouGov LAB lead poll is increasingly looking like an outlier – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Thread flies in the face of PB Libdemmers who think that Starmer could be PM because just because he isn't Corbyn...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

BBC

There are 8,384 petrol stations in the UK with around 100 experiencing problems

I take it you haven't been out today, people are queueing, successfully I might add, for fuel for a mere 20 minutes at the remaining 8,284.
    I did post late afternoon that I had been into Asda this pm and there was a modest queue, also a large Asda tanker was on the forecast
    What is forecast often diverges from what eventuates. Also, it may have been an inflatable potemkin tanker, like the D Day decoys.
    Forecast was predictive text, forecourt is the word
  • Options
    Went to sort some stuff out for my mother on Weybridge .. by the time I returned, several fuel stations were out of fuel.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,598

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

In Los Angeles for a week, a few things to report:

weather is great but LA itself is falling to pieces. Filthy, buildings are crumbling down and the homeless population out of control. Obviously it depends where you go through - Beverley Hills and the usual places still look good but the poorer areas / centre have really deteriorated since a few years back.

Recall is definitely yesterday's news. Everyone has forgotten about it and, while it was good for Larry Elder, I don't think it was great for the Republican GOP although it may have helped its case in the inland counties and the Recall "Yes" vote of near 38% is higher than Trump's vote. Newsom is certainly not acting as though he needs to change his behaviour (a nd why should he).

One piece of anecdata - my sister-in-law who is a Bernie supporter shocked us by saying that Biden's a one-term President and that Trump is going to get back in 2024. She brought up specifically the Haitian refugee surge on the Texas border. She would never vote for Trump but she thinks the Administration is running out of steam.

Biden's definitely a one term President. In fact, I suspect he may well be a 0.6 term President.
    So should Boris be as PM.
    Well whether we count a term as a full five years, or the average parliament being more like 4 (probably 3.75 or something like that), he must be close to that 0.6.
    Indeed and its time for Truss or Sunak to replace him. He's lost his nerve.
    But Mr J lost his nerve long ago, over last Christmas as well. Whether one believed in more or less control over covid, he screwed the pooch (metaphorically, I hasten to add).
  • Options

BBC

I take it you haven't been out today, people are queueing, successfully I might add, for fuel for a mere 20 minutes at the remaining 8,284.
    I did post late afternoon that I had been into Asda this pm and there was a modest queue, also a large Asda tanker was on the forecast
    So that's the third time you've mentioned it?

Wibbling remoaners and BJ doubters, by the power of tedious repetition I shall exorcise thee.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

New: the red lines of the Brexit project are starting to crack, as U.K. considers tapping EU workers to fix growing supply crisis https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-24/brexit-red-lines-crack-as-britons-line-up-for-fuel-and-food via @bpolitics

UK visa quotas apply to workers worldwide not just the EU

And the system being applied is exactly as planned post brexit

Freedom of movement holding down wages gone, and a visa system with minimum wages of £25,600 and only for skilled jobs benefitting the economy now is place

This is the brexit dividend
    Come now, Big G, I don't believe you really believe that. The entirety of Brexit post-2016 has been presented as a movement against immigration *in principle*. Independence, self-sufficiency, autonomy, taking back control of borders.
    I absolutely believe that and the legislation has passed HOC implementing the new visa quota system
    Big spike in energy prices. Growing shortages in production and distribution of food. A threat to Christmas.

This is the Brexit dividend.
    You know that is an exaggeration and you are better than that
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116

Shocking article about wider context of murder trial of the kid who was stabbed in the park that finished today....

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kvnxa/snapchat-is-fuelling-britains-teen-murder-epidemic

Not sure i agree with the premise its all snapchat fault, but there is a serious.problem that is getting worse.

OMG.
    I am genuinely torn as to whether that should be read by all my year 8s as part of the unit on knife crime and its many appalling dangers, or whether it’s too graphic for them.

It’s a deeply disturbing read.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

BBC

Thanks Scott
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

In Los Angeles for a week, a few things to report:

weather is great but LA itself is falling to pieces. Filthy, buildings are crumbling down and the homeless population out of control. Obviously it depends where you go through - Beverley Hills and the usual places still look good but the poorer areas / centre have really deteriorated since a few years back.

Recall is definitely yesterday's news. Everyone has forgotten about it and, while it was good for Larry Elder, I don't think it was great for the Republican GOP although it may have helped its case in the inland counties and the Recall "Yes" vote of near 38% is higher than Trump's vote. Newsom is certainly not acting as though he needs to change his behaviour (a nd why should he).

One piece of anecdata - my sister-in-law who is a Bernie supporter shocked us by saying that Biden's a one-term President and that Trump is going to get back in 2024. She brought up specifically the Haitian refugee surge on the Texas border. She would never vote for Trump but she thinks the Administration is running out of steam.

Biden's definitely a one term President. In fact, I suspect he may well be a 0.6 term President.
    That's midsummer 2023. Do you know something not in the public domain?
  • Options

BBC

Thanks Scott
    I do not think you would see @Scott_xP post that BBC quote
  • Options

BBC

Thanks Scott
    Pye Green petrol station was down to two pumps and a long queue for them when I came past, which is annoying from a personal as I wanted to refuel (like normal on a Friday night after a week’s driving).

Thanks, national newspapers.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

Scott_xP said:

New: the red lines of the Brexit project are starting to crack, as U.K. considers tapping EU workers to fix growing supply crisis https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-24/brexit-red-lines-crack-as-britons-line-up-for-fuel-and-food via @bpolitics

Freedom of movement holding down wages gone, and a visa system with minimum wages of £25,600 and only for skilled jobs benefitting the economy now is place

Come now, Big G, I don't believe you really believe that. The entirety of Brexit post-2016 has been presented as a movement against immigration *in principle*.
    No that's not true, its been about uncontrolled immigration. Allowing it in controlled is perfectly compatible.

Its just not necessary since pay rates haven't been done properly.
    It is incredible that Remainers seek to portray the Leave idea of controlled immigration as being some kind of hatred of foreigners and zero tolerance of any non Brit doing a job. We had immigration before 2004, but we didn't have the ridiculous policy of millions of people from poor countries being exploited by rich bosses to undercut the British Labour market - what we have now, outsourcing when necessary, rather than a free for all, is what I voted for

I think Remain obsessives have just convinced themselves that their most extreme mischaracterisation of what a Leave voter thinks, is actually the truth
  • Options

BBC

So that's the third time you've mentioned it?

Wibbling remoaners and BJ doubters, by the power of tedious repetition I shall exorcise thee.
    It was an answer to a post from @Mexicanpete who had not seen my previous comments
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    edited September 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

BBC

What is forecast often diverges from what eventuates. Also, it may have been an inflatable potemkin tanker, like the D Day decoys.
    FWIW my landlady's cleaner says that she had to queue for 45 minutes for petrol today - presumably just people reacting to the headlines and, as Mike said on the last thread, rationally panic-buying because everyone else will. People honking and swearing at assistants, as though that would help. What's happened to British sang froid?
  • Options
    Also, good to see that Gloucestershire’s bowlers won the county championship today.

Shame they were bowling for Warwickshire but you can’t have everything.
  • Options
    Aye..

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

Scott_xP said:

Come now, Big G, I don't believe you really believe that. The entirety of Brexit post-2016 has been presented as a movement against immigration *in principle*.
    No that's not true, its been about uncontrolled immigration. Allowing it in controlled is perfectly compatible.

Well, the Daily Mail litmus test commenters are already fuming. "If we're going to let in EU drivers back in what was Brexit for ? " is one of the choice comments I saw this afternoon.
    Meanwhile the Telegraph comments are calling for State control of the Press. Unpatriotic to report bad news.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

BBC

FWIW my landlady's cleaner says that she had to queue for 45 minutes for petrol today - presumably just people reacting to the headlines and, as Mike said on the last thread, rationally panic-buying because everyone else will. People honking and swearing at assistants, as though that would help. What's happened to British sang froid?
    All French terms were kicked out after Brexit.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Aye..

Depends on which ones he's taking, surely?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

BBC

Thanks Scott
    Pye Green petrol station was down to two pumps and a long queue for them when I came past, which is annoying from a personal as I wanted to refuel (like normal on a Friday night after a week’s driving).

It is said that most languages do not have a word for "smug." Even English does not have a word for the "filled up at 8.30 a.m. and halfway through my second martini" feeling overwhelming me now.

Sorry, but there it is.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

BBC

Cold bloodedly.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_xP said:

It is incredible that Remainers seek to portray the Leave idea of controlled immigration as being some kind of hatred of foreigners and zero tolerance of any non Brit doing a job. We had immigration before 2004, but we didn't have the ridiculous policy of millions of people from poor countries being exploited by rich bosses to undercut the British Labour market - what we have now, outsourcing when necessary, rather than a free for all, is what I voted for

I think Remain obsessives have just convinced themselves that their most extreme mischaracterisation of what a Leave voter thinks, is actually the truth
    Says the man who claims all Remainers just want cheap staff.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Also, good to see that Gloucestershire’s bowlers won the county championship today.

Shame they were bowling for Warwickshire but you can’t have everything.

Not like.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    edited September 2021
    Interesting there are an average of 12.9 petrol stations in each UK constituency. Slightly less than I would have guessed.
  • Options

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

Says the man who claims all Remainers just want cheap staff.
    I didn’t claim that at all. Try again
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

BBC

Thanks Scott

It is said that most languages do not have a word for "smug." Even English does not have a word for the "filled up at 8.30 a.m. and halfway through my second martini" feeling overwhelming me now.

Sorry, but there it is.
    Does it have a word for ‘was stuck in traffic in roadworks at 8.30 wondering when you would actually get into the city centre where the school is?’
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

BBC

Thanks Scott

Sorry, but there it is.
    Does it have a word for ‘was stuck in traffic in roadworks at 8.30 wondering when you would actually get into the city centre where the school is?’
    Like I said, I'm halfway through my second martini by that time in the morning, and too loaded to care. You should try it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

BBC

Thanks Scott

Sorry, but there it is.
    Like I said, I'm halfway through my second martini by that time in the morning, and too loaded to care. You should try it.
    Are you willing to pay me?

We could have punning contests on PB all day…
  • Options
    @michaelsavage
    More than one union leader has “gone for” Starmer at a key meeting tonight. Sounds pretty brutal. Row over party rules now clearly threatening to overshadow a conference he himself has talked up as key to his leadership.

https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1441458901522821121
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

They should all go on strike Red Philo. All out lads, the management haven't got nice enough biscuits.
    I don't advocate that whatsoever.

If they don't want to do the jobs but others do then management should replace the people who don't want to do the jobs with others that do.

If not enough want to do the job then management aren't giving good enough terms and conditions to fill the roles. That's their problem, they should fix it.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

BBC

Donnez-moi un break!

Apologies if minor incontinence results from this HILARIOUS quip.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting there are an average of 12.9 petrol stations in each UK constituency. Slightly less than I would have guessed.

Snap. I remember there being two dozen in Bedford growing up, and that wasn't even a whole constituency.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2021

@michaelsavage
    More than one union leader has “gone for” Starmer at a key meeting tonight. Sounds pretty brutal. Row over party rules now clearly threatening to overshadow a conference he himself has talked up as key to his leadership.

Mandelson to blame, I'm pretty sure. He should have just kept it to the change of the MP deselection process, as Southam alluded to earlier, not tried to change the entire voting system back again too, as a misguided Clause4-type symbol, too.
  • Options

@michaelsavage

Mandelson to blame, I'm pretty sure. He should have just kept it to the change of the MP deselection process, as Southam alluded to, not tried to change the entire voting system back as a misguided Clause4-type symbol, as well.
    A solution in search of a problem, methinks.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

BBC

Donnez-moi un break!

I confess, a bit of oui came out.
    Non here.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2021
    dixiedean said:

@michaelsavage

Mandelson to blame, I'm pretty sure. He should have just kept it to the change of the MP deselection process, as Southam alluded to, not tried to change the entire voting system back as a misguided Clause4-type symbol, as well.
    Yup ; this was the same phrase that came to mind and I used earlier about it, too.
  • Options

Shocking article about wider context of murder trial of the kid who was stabbed in the park that finished today....

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kvnxa/snapchat-is-fuelling-britains-teen-murder-epidemic

Not sure i agree with the premise its all snapchat fault, but there is a serious.problem that is getting worse.

OMG.
    I just feel grateful I am not living in London with teenage children.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    PM overrules Home Sec and Transport Sec to allow in foreign lorry drivers to help fill the shortage despite Grant Shapps saying being out of the EU was helping the situation https://bit.ly/2XLOe3K
  • Options

dixiedean said:

@michaelsavage

Yup ; this was the. same phrase that came to mind and I used earlier about it, too.
    Great minds.
    Or fools never differ. But I think not.
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

OMG.
    That article lacks any kind of evidence about teenage murder rates in general, and about the prevalence of SnapChat (or other social media) in driving the murders that did happen.

It's a great story, but it may simply be completely inaccurate. It may be that 13 year olds on SnapChat are less likely to commit murders than their peers. We just don't know, because it's a piece of journalism that sets out to tell a story.

And, likely, the author had decided the conclusion and went looking for supporting evidence. (Not unlike certain posters.)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

PM overrules Home Sec and Transport Sec to allow in foreign lorry drivers to help fill the shortage despite Grant Shapps saying being out of the EU was helping the situation https://bit.ly/2XLOe3K

Grant Shapps always was an imbecile. Look at his pretend hack when he said he’d been a lifelong Lib Dem now voting Tory.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,381
    edited September 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

BBC

Thanks Scott

Sorry, but there it is.
    In Welsh, it is smyg,

pronounced "smug"
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    @rcs1000 FYI it's just "Snapchat" not "SnapChat"
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

BBC

Thanks Scott

Sorry, but there it is.
    In Welsh, it is smyg,

pronounced "smug"
    In dwarfish, it is Smaug.

They get really fired up about such people.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Bad decision. Employers should increase pay to the market rate to fill the vacancies.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Snap. I remember there being two dozen in Bedford growing up, and that wasn't even a whole constituency.
    Loads have closed down in Havering since I were a lad - I guess there are just as many pumps, but in fewer locations as the supermarkets took over

My mate is offering a reward for a pic of someone running out of petrol whilst driving around on a panic buying mission!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

BBC

Donnez-moi un break!

I confess, a bit of oui came out.
    Tant piss.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Feeling very smug today in my EV, did a 300 mile journey, one short stop for a splash and dash charge, and watched the queues at the petrol stations.
    Not often the EV range anxiety gets the better of the ICE guys.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827
    Last weeks not a crisis, crises, empty shelves due to insufficient supermarket deliveries and Wholesale Gas prices due to insufficient planning of gas supply.

Todays not a crisis, crisis no petrol for Cabinet Ministers due to insufficient deliveries of petrol

Tomorrows not a crisis, Crisis. No water due to insufficient water purification chemical deliveries.

Tories 7 point lead

Presumably more Lab leads on the cards despite the useless nonentity in charge of that Party
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

BBC

Thanks Scott

Sorry, but there it is.
    Scots, Shetland version, does have pernim.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Bad decision. Employers should increase pay to the market rate to fill the vacancies.
    Maybe they should have started doing that in 2018 when the Europe wide shortage was being discussed here

"In a report released this week, European Road Freight Transport 2018, the supply chain analyst shows that in just six countries – the UK, Germany, France, Denmark Sweden and Norway – the shortage of drivers adds up to 127,500.

The UK leads the way with a shortage of 52,000 drivers, but is closely followed by Germany at 45,000 vacancies – with predictions that this could increase by a staggering 28,000 each year.

The report says: “In Germany, the DSLV transport union reports that in the next 15 years, two-thirds of drivers will retire. Germany is facing a shortage of 45,000 truck drivers, with around 30,000 leaving the profession every year. This compares with only 2,000 people receiving truck-driving qualifications each year.”

France has a shortage of 20,000 drivers, while road freight associations in Sweden, Denmark and Norway report shortages of 5,000, 2,500 and 3,000, respectively.

This gap in the labour market has been partly filled by an influx of East Europeans, but the report warns there is a limit as to how much this will ease the driver shortage.

One problem is the increasing appetite among global manufacturers to site production facilities in central and eastern Europe, which has provided an alternative source of jobs for many would-be drivers."

https://www.bifa.org/news/articles/2018/dec/truck-driver-shortage-crisis-now-spreading-across-the-whole-of-europe

But as it seems to be an emergency, why not press the emergency button?
  • Options
    It is hard being Greene (without being a cretinous dipshit).

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1440838033222242309?s=21
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Is that the one that halved in value when somebody I’ve never heard of left it?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Grant Shapps always was an imbecile. Look at his pretend hack when he said he’d been a lifelong Lib Dem now voting Tory.
    This take on that always amuses me.

https://www.bloggerheads.com/archives/2007/07/grant_shapps/
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Is that a Conservative government? Or is it not? It seems to be bringing in blacklegs to bust the locals' deserved campaigning for more pay? I'm really getting confused.
  • Options
    F**king useless nonentity. Bring on a leadership challenge

Michael Savage
    @michaelsavage
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SandraMc said:

OMG.
    That article lacks any kind of evidence about teenage murder rates in general, and about the prevalence of SnapChat (or other social media) in driving the murders that did happen.

It's a great story, but it may simply be completely inaccurate. It may be that 13 year olds on SnapChat are less likely to commit murders than their peers. We just don't know, because it's a piece of journalism that sets out to tell a story.

And, likely, the author had decided the conclusion and went looking for supporting evidence. (Not unlike certain posters.)
    Definitely Snapchat. Definitely not the 70% cut in funding for youth services in the decade after 2010.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited September 2021
    Better news for labour in Wales

And lib dems bottom

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1441465179259260933?s=19
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Is that a Conservative government? Or is it not? It seems to be bringing in blacklegs to bust the locals' deserved campaigning for more pay? I'm really getting confused.
    One thing is for sure. We can’t have the lower orders getting paid too much.
    Something, anything must be done.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

BBC

Thanks Scott

Sorry, but there it is.
    In Welsh, it is smyg,

pronounced "smug"

dim ysmygu
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Michael Savage
    @michaelsavage

And replace him with who exactly?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

One thing is for sure. We can’t have the lower orders getting paid too much.
    Something, anything must be done.
    And yet, how will that look to White Van and DAF Tractor Person in the Red Wall?
  • Options
    Momentum issues statement "celebrating" Starmer's delay to rule change vote

They describe TULO meeting today as "disastrous" and claim his "attack on democracy is floundering"

It is fair to say this is not the lead up to conference Starmer wanted: unions furious, left buoyant

Union source emphasises it's "not over til it's over", but seems Starmer faces humiliation over electoral college reforms if he brings to vote

Trade Union & Labour Party Liaison Organisation (TULO) meeting was "BAD": "nobody" defended Starmer, even moderate unions

It's reported that Starmer's TULO meeting was 'a shitshow'. Saddiq Khan is against rule change. It looks as if
    "Rayner's read the room. I always thought that, when the tide turned against Starmer, Rayner would bury him".

Could this be the moment? I think he's toast".

Rayner or Streeting??
  • Options
    China bans Facebook → Creates Weibo
    China bans Youtube → Creates Youku
    China bans Google → Creates Baidu
    China bans Whatsapp → Creates WeChat
    China bans Bitcoin → Creates e-yuan

https://twitter.com/Blockworks_/status/1441335106782654475?s=19

China bans Lehman Brothers → Creates Evergrande
  • Options

They describe TULO meeting today as "disastrous" and claim his "attack on democracy is floundering"

It is fair to say this is not the lead up to conference Starmer wanted: unions furious, left buoyant

Union source emphasises it's "not over til it's over", but seems Starmer faces humiliation over electoral college reforms if he brings to vote

Trade Union & Labour Party Liaison Organisation (TULO) meeting was "BAD": "nobody" defended Starmer, even moderate unions

It's reported that Starmer's TULO meeting was 'a shitshow'. Saddiq Khan is against rule change. It looks as if
    "Rayner's read the room. I always thought that, when the tide turned against Starmer, Rayner would bury him".

Rayner or Streeting??

If true Labour have lost the plot and at the worse time possible

Starmer is labour's best bet for GE 24
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    eek said:

Michael Savage
    @michaelsavage

Anybody would be better frankly

I despise Streeting but even he would be less useless more passionate and competent.

It is extremely unfortunate KotN will not be eligible but any change is better than having a useless nonentity in charge

https://twitter.com/nigeltheleftist/status/1441463509401886720/photo/1
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Rayner or Streeting??

No mate he is totally devoid of anything no charisma, no conviction, no ability to lead, no policies,no vision, no alternative, no hope.

I can understand why Tories like him.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    edited September 2021
    eek said:

Michael Savage
    @michaelsavage

Quite.

Starmer isn't great as a leader, although he has some really good traits that will help him.

Labour will split sooner or later, and to be fair to the left it really is the moderates that are betraying the cause. However the cause is some daft c19 manifesto written by a layabout.

What Starmer needs to do is get the split done with - off goes Corbyn, off goes McDonald, and then I think it stops. No sensible Labour politician will throw themselves over the cliff. Maybe Abbot, Dawn whatever, Long-Bailey, and Burgeon.

PS. whatever=Butler.
  • Options
    Loved @jessphillips being honest saying on @TimesRadio she hadn’t quite read every word of the @Keir_Starmer thesis. And @UKLabour peer Helena Kennedy tells me she’d like the party leader - a fellow lawyer - “to loosen up a bit”

https://twitter.com/cathynewman/status/1441464733249392644?s=21
  • Options
    Omnium said:

eek said:

Michael Savage
    @michaelsavage

Quite.

Starmer isn't great as a leader, although he has some really good traits that will help him.

Labour will split sooner or later, and to be fair to the left it really is the moderates that are betraying the cause. However the cause is some daft c19 manifesto written by a layabout.

What Starmer needs to do is get the split done with - off goes Corbyn, off goes McDonald, and then I think it stops. No sensible Labour politician will throw themselves over the cliff. Maybe Abbot, Dawn whatever, Long-Bailey, and Burgeon.

PS. whatever=Butler.
    Ken Loach....on Starmer, Jezza and "proper Labour".

https://youtu.be/PVP6PlX_UUA
  • Options
    Keir Starmer is in “discussions” about whether to press ahead with radical changes to the way Labour elects its leaders, after pulling plans to put the proposals to a vote at the party’s ruling national executive committee (NEC).

The Labour leader had been expected to push the package of reforms at a meeting on Friday evening. But after he addressed sceptical union leaders on Friday afternoon, Starmer’s office said they would not be tabled.

Instead, they suggested discussions were ongoing. Trade union sources said Starmer had made an emollient speech to TULO, the group that represents the Labour-supporting unions – but that none of the unions present had backed the plans.

One source suggested Starmer had received a “mauling” for announcing the plans to drop the one-member-one vote-system to elect the party’s leader without warning earlier this week, and failing to consult unions in advance.

Starmer now faces a tough decision about whether to press ahead in the face of union opposition, water down the proposals or pull them altogether, rather than risk a humiliating defeat in Brighton, where the party’s conference will open on Saturday.

It emerged on Friday that Labour’s deputy leader, Angela Rayner, had added her voice to those in the party who oppose the idea of overshadowing conference with a wrangle over rule changes.

Rayner, the shadow secretary of state for the future of work as well as Starmer’s number two, has privately made clear she would like the conference to focus instead on attacking the government and setting out Labour’s offer to the country.

She is understood to be concerned by the timing of the changes and the principle of ditching one-member-one-vote.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

BBC

Thanks Scott

Sorry, but there it is.
    In Welsh, it is smyg,

pronounced "smug"

Don't expect me to believe that. I wasn't Beorn yesterday.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,248
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

• Options
    UK Local R

• Options

Omnium said:

eek said:

Michael Savage
    @michaelsavage

Quite.

PS. whatever=Butler.

Let me guess "proper Labour" are antisemites like him?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Better news for labour in Wales

And lib dems bottom

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1441465179259260933?s=19

That poll was released a few days ago.In fact , it is not better news for Labour at all - if taken at face value. The 2019 GE in Wales was - Lab 40.9 - Con 36.1 - so a Labour lead of 4.8% has just increased to 6% - implying a swing from Con to Lab of just 0.6% and a fall in Labour's vote share. That said , Yougov significantly underestimated Labour's lead last May - and had the Tories several points too high. The figures for both Plaid and the Greens in this poll look high.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Omnium said:

eek said:

Michael Savage
    @michaelsavage

Quite.

PS. whatever=Butler.

careful, I like reading your posts and I don't want you booted
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    UK R

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Would Raynor be any better than Starmer?

Hmmm..
  • Options
    Age related data

• Options

Omnium said:

eek said:

Michael Savage
    @michaelsavage

Quite.

PS. whatever=Butler.

Its delightfully bonkers.
  • Options
    Fior light relief, it appears that Sodom's destruction was a Tunguska-type event ...

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-97778-3.pdf
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited September 2021

Rayner or Streeting??

No mate he is totally devoid of anything no charisma, no conviction, no ability to lead, no policies,no vision, no alternative, no hope.

I can understand why Tories like him.
    We have to accept that Starmer, even though he is moderately crap, is the best the Labour party have at the moment. I am a big fan of Ed Milliband but he's unlikely to enter any leadership fray.

Having said that, Starmer needs to up is game against this vile, incompetent, disingenuous, sleazy and bigoted Conservative Government.
  • Options
    Age related data scaled to 100K

• Options
    Deputy Leader

Scottish Leader

Welsh First Minister

London Mayor

Every Union in attendance at todays NEC

All opposed to rule change

The useless nonentity has picked a fight, having picked the fight he needed to win it, and badly misjudged the mood.with even the most right wing led Unions failing to support him

All wings of Party smell blood.

He is even rumoured to be preparing a joke if "oh Jeremy Corbyn" chant starts during his speech on Wednesday.

Bet that will be a side splitter.

Anyone who thinks he has any chance of ever leading Lab to victory is kidding themselves.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Carnyx said:

Fior light relief, it appears that Sodom's destruction was a Tunguska-type event ...

"causing extreme disarticulation and skeletal fragmentation in nearby humans."
    eww
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Wales 19
    LABLabour40.9%
    CONConservative36.1%
    PCPlaid Cymru9.9%
    LDLiberal Democrat6.0%
    BRXThe Brexit Party5.4%
    GRNGreen1.0%

Poll from the GE
    Lab 37 (-4)
    Con 31 (-5)
    Plaid 15 (+5)
    Rfm 6 (+1)
    Grn 5 (+4)
    LDem 4 (-2)

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Hmmm..

No.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Genuinely riveting, both the overall theory and the detail, and the match with the biblical account. And brilliant that Nature is free to air like that.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

"causing extreme disarticulation and skeletal fragmentation in nearby humans."
    eww
    The victims were here today, gone Gomorrah.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited September 2021
    The apparent fiasco re-leadership rule changes confirms Starmer's disastrous timing of the by elections a few months back. He is seriously lacking in 'nous' and the political antennare required of a political leader. Very little sign of a political brain.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    murali_s said:

Hmmm..

No.
    I don’t find her particularly likeable - quite adversarial. Who knows - maybe the electorate will prefer that to Boris
  • Options

I was passing our local (not very good, and definitely overpriced) sushi restaurant, and there was a Lamborghini Avantador parked outside with the license "SNAP CEO".

'twas a bit naff, tbh.
  • Options
    I noticed that the future Queen of Canada went to congratulate the player who defeated Canada's finest in the US Open tennis final.

• Options
    justin124 said:

The apparent fiasco re-leadership rule changes confirms Starmer's disastrous timing of the by elections a few months back. He is seriously lacking in 'nous' and the political antennare required of a political leader. Very little sign of a political brain.

Indeed Justin you are correct.

I will add that to my useless nonentity list. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.