Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Biden’s heads towards getting negative ratings from the majority of Americans – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MattWMattW Posts: 18,094
    Pulpstar said:

Farooq said:

Can someone explain something to me? The energy companies not about to go bust are in a good position because, as I understand it, they hedged against price spikes. Is that right?

If so, what form does that hedging take? Is it a future promise to buy energy at a certain rate? If so, do those sorts of contracts specify quantities?

What I'm getting at here is, if an doing-well provider suddenly acquires shitloads of new customers, is that going to drag them into the same mire, because now they need to buy more wholesale at unhedged prices? Is there a risk that some customers will just not be wanted, and are left in a limbo where they officially don't have a provider?

This is what the Government intervention is about, and I think it's warranted - the likes of Scottish Power, SSE, British Gas! will have hedged for existing customers but not new ones. And as the true cost of the new customer is over the cap...

The fact

i) The cap is gov't imposed
    ii) The customer is gov't imposed

Means the Gov't needs to stump up for the loss on each customer basically.
    I think the new customers are acquired on SVT.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    UK cases by specimen date

UK cases by specimen date and scale to 100K

UK R

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

And....who is in the top left hand corner?

Glad to announce a new partnership with the US to help vaccinate the world.

We aim for a 70% global vaccination rate by #UNGA 2022.

European Union United States Global Vaccination Partnership will help expand supply, improve coordination in delivery and remove bottlenecks to supply chains.

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1440700570227011603?s=20

They've also managed to choose a photo of Biden where the angle sets him against an EU flag. It makes Ursula von der Leyen look like a megalomaniac.
    I'm a big fan of over analysing staged images comedically, but I think you may be reading too much into it.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Farooq said:

Can someone explain something to me? The energy companies not about to go bust are in a good position because, as I understand it, they hedged against price spikes. Is that right?

If so, what form does that hedging take? Is it a future promise to buy energy at a certain rate? If so, do those sorts of contracts specify quantities?

What I'm getting at here is, if an doing-well provider suddenly acquires shitloads of new customers, is that going to drag them into the same mire, because now they need to buy more wholesale at unhedged prices? Is there a risk that some customers will just not be wanted, and are left in a limbo where they officially don't have a provider?

This is what the Government intervention is about, and I think it's warranted - the likes of Scottish Power, SSE, British Gas! will have hedged for existing customers but not new ones. And as the true cost of the new customer is over the cap...

The fact

what is SVT?
    UK case summary

UK hospitals

UK deaths

felix said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Can someone explain why the government should be bailing out energy resellers? It's not as though they set fire to the pylons when they go under. They're nothing more than a call centre and dodgy branding. We're with Bulb, almost certain they'll go under too as they refused to hedge against rising prices.

Any company that sells long and buys short that fails to hedge absolutely deserves to go bust and there shouldn't be any bail out whatsoever.

There's procedures to protect customers being moved over to suppliers of last resort and its reasonable for that to be underwritten - but no bailout for failed business models.
    I wouldn't say they necessarily deserve to go bust but if they mismatch maturities without the reserves to cover a move against them, that's reckless and they shouldn't get a state bailout.

Public ownership looks the way to go for retail energy supply. One entity, simple tariff, uniform stable pricing, strip out all the needless complexity.
    How about telecom too? I mean, I can remember how great BT was before it was privatised! British rail was really good as well, and as for British Leyland, what quality! Oh, yes, the man in Whitehall. He definitely knows how to deliver great service!
    How dare you malign the great British Leyland - how can you forget the Allegro?

Ah, the Allegro, designed and first produced by the non-nationalised BL. We certainly showed those Trabant and Lada Johnies what private enterprise could do!
    Given the Unions at the time were behaving like the UK was behind the Iron Curtain the comparison is probably apt.
    Plus the creation of BL was created under the tender ministrations of that avid capitalist Tony Benn. Which tied the floaters to the sinkers.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Leyland#1968–74:_Creation_of_BLMC,_and_the_Stokes_era
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    Pulpstar said:

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

On energy, I had an idea that we should vastly overbuild wind - but encourage large commercial (And some larger homes as we get more potential 'excess' electricity) to have an electric combi-boiler as well as a gas combi so when it's windy we switch over to use less overall gas in the mix (And when it's quiet use gas).

In the era of nationalised industries our energy networks (gas, electricity) were "over-engineered", so that gas storage for example would cater for a "one-in-a-hundred-year" event. That philosophy was deprecated when competition and "market forces" came in. Now we have so-called energy suppliers which are really marketing vehicles. There is no longer any room for redundancy and everything is on fine margins with these suppliers offering fixed price contracts while buying the energy in fluctuating markets. Four years ago Centrica decommissioned the Rough storage facility, which was a depleted gas field in the North Sea. Now there's talk of bringing it back to life. Too late now for the current crisis.
    But I like your idea of building redundancy right into domestic heating with dual combi-boilers. It could be an opportunity for the very capable boiler manufacturers. I have just installed a new boiler which is ready to switch to a gas/hydrogen mixture.

My gas usage was 12.8 kwh and my electric 4.2 kwh last year. For a typical household the gas usage, in terms of KwH is still much higher - and still cheaper. If we could produce 100 GW of electricity via wind then not only would our current electricity consumption be entirely wind generated, but we could also substantially reduce our natural gas usage - as the "extra" could head into electric combis. And when it's not so windy, we still have a substantial wind production - but we just use natural gas as we do now.
    Like cheap overnight electricity in storage radiators in the olden days.

edited September 2021
    Farooq said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Farooq said:

The fact

what is SVT?
    Standard Variable Tariff.

ie they should not be initially lossmaking (unless the Price Cap is seriously out of whack).
  • kle4 said:

European Union United States Global Vaccination Partnership will help expand supply, improve coordination in delivery and remove bottlenecks to supply chains.

They've also managed to choose a photo of Biden where the angle sets him against an EU flag. It makes Ursula von der Leyen look like a megalomaniac.
    I'm a big fan of over analysing staged images comedically, but I think you may be reading too much into it.
    No we havent had a flag-gate variation for at least a month. This analysis is long overdue.
  • felix said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Can someone explain why the government should be bailing out energy resellers? It's not as though they set fire to the pylons when they go under. They're nothing more than a call centre and dodgy branding. We're with Bulb, almost certain they'll go under too as they refused to hedge against rising prices.

Any company that sells long and buys short that fails to hedge absolutely deserves to go bust and there shouldn't be any bail out whatsoever.

There's procedures to protect customers being moved over to suppliers of last resort and its reasonable for that to be underwritten - but no bailout for failed business models.
    I wouldn't say they necessarily deserve to go bust but if they mismatch maturities without the reserves to cover a move against them, that's reckless and they shouldn't get a state bailout.

Public ownership looks the way to go for retail energy supply. One entity, simple tariff, uniform stable pricing, strip out all the needless complexity.
    How about telecom too? I mean, I can remember how great BT was before it was privatised! British rail was really good as well, and as for British Leyland, what quality! Oh, yes, the man in Whitehall. He definitely knows how to deliver great service!
    How dare you malign the great British Leyland - how can you forget the Allegro?

Ah, the Allegro, designed and first produced by the non-nationalised BL. We certainly showed those Trabant and Lada Johnies what private enterprise could do!
    Given the Unions at the time were behaving like the UK was behind the Iron Curtain the comparison is probably apt.
    Yep, the one thing I've always associated with the countries behind the Iron Curtain is trade unions holding their management and governments to ransom.

Not sure if Red Robbo and his pals had anything much to do with product design.

'Brothers, are we agreed, 20 minute tea breaks and a square steering wheel for the Allegro? All in favour, say aye.'
    ...and your point is?
    Age related data

Age related data scaled to 100K

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    edited September 2021
    MattW said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Farooq said:

The fact

what is SVT?
    I briefly read the SVT as STV and didn't know whether to be excited or horrified :smile:
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    …..
    COVID summary

Everything is heading down, apart from cases in the younger unvaccinated groups. The 15-19 group continues to move down to follow the curves of the other vaccinated groups.

• RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    RH1992 said:

Scott_xP said:

Even the hardest of hardcore Remainers never claimed that Brexit would kill Bonfire Night, but here we are. And it's only year one.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/22/bonfire-night-fireworks-70-down-due-to-brexit-and-supply-chain-crisis

Good, hopefully it'll encourage people to go to organised displays.

Honestly, I'm tired of the Guardian trying to be righteous on stuff that it either wouldn't have given a toss about prior to Brexit, or even worse, would have probably dismissed as an irrelevance or nuisance.
    Just to add to this (sorry for the double post but I had to go and look this up), it's less than a year since The Guardian was complaining about the pollution from fireworks sold to the public. I can't take a publication seriously if it can't stick to it's values when a "let's tell everyone how stupid they were to vote for Brexit" moment comes up.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/12/guy-fawkes-night-caused-pollution-spike-across-england-and-south-wales
  • kle4 said:

It is his new obsession. He is a johnny-come-lately staunch advocate of "Leave", where through his newly swivelling eyes the EU is seen as the latest incarnation of global evil, though no-one seems to have let him know that the referendum has already happened and he doesn't need to demonise the EU anymore because no-one cares/can vote on it now.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited September 2021
    Speaking Franglais is such a Borisism.

The man speaks passable, if unconvincing, French. But his audience wasn't in France, so he didn't.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021
    Aston Villa defender Matty Cash wants to break into the Poland team ahead of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar; the 24-year-old from Slough has a Polish mother and has lodged the paperwork to apply for citizenship

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/12413531/matty-cash-aston-villa-defender-aims-to-make-poland-debut-with-world-cup-approaching

I blame Brexit....something something about red and white boots being a subtle nod...etc etc etc...
    On real-world shitty implications of Theranos:
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/09/theranos-results-predicted-miscarriage-in-woman-who-would-later-give-birth/

I'm slightly perplexed that US healthcare would do this at all - there's presumably no intervention that can be done and the value of frequent measuring is questionable, even psychologically.* Still, I guess it's billable.

*As half of a couple that has experienced three miscarriages, the not-knowing how it's going is hard. You hope and you wait for a sign of problems, then you get a scan to confirm or disprove (in five pregnancies there has actually been an early scan due to bleeding in all five - three with bad results and two with unexpected good ones). I don't think an indicative blood test result would be particularly helpful - maybe some reassurance, but it could go bad at any point, early on.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,960

Scott_xP said:

Even the hardest of hardcore Remainers never claimed that Brexit would kill Bonfire Night, but here we are. And it's only year one.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/22/bonfire-night-fireworks-70-down-due-to-brexit-and-supply-chain-crisis

Millions of dogs cheering and woofing their new found support for Brexit.
    ....and owners of thatched houses.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    gealbhan said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

FPT for RCS

Replace your bogus "bad mother monkey" story with this (which I learned only yesterday)

"Fearful memories haunt mouse descendants"

"Mouse pups — and even the offspring's offspring — can inherit a fearful association of a certain smell with pain, even if they have not experienced the pain themselves, and without the need for genetic mutations. "

YOU CAN INHERIT, FROM YOUR PARENTS, EVEN GRANDPARENTS, A SHUDDERING FEAR OF SOMETHING STRANGE THAT HAPPENED TO THEM, NOT YOU

Extraordinary. The ramifications are endless, and creepy as hell. Good for someone trying to write spooky stories, tho

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature.2013.14272

Not a solid study. Unlikely to be true.
    I understand they show pictures of snakes and spiders to new born humans, and they scream and yell and cry, fear of these things built into human DNA, part of our nature not nurture.
    But isn't this saying something different. Eg your grandad was trampled by a bull when he was a child so now YOU get terrified when you smell a bull, or something that comes from one. Seems very unlikely to me.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

The Elysee denies the rumour of France giving up its UNSC seat to the EU

"Contrairement aux affirmations du tabloïd anglais Daily Telegraph relayées ce matin, non, la France n’a pas proposé de laisser son siège au Conseil de sécurité des Nations unies. Il est à la France et le restera"

.https://twitter.com/Elysee/status/1440580690865655816?s=20

Beneath the tweet is a long long screed of angry tweets from French people saying "This is France", "This seat belongs to the French" and arguing vehemently with non-French EU citizens who see this move - the EU taking up France's role in the UN - as logical

Oh dear

No doubt a further boost for Le Pen next year as she wraps herself in the Tricolour and pushes French nationalism against what she will call the EUphile globalist Macron
    Interestingly, Olaf Scholz, who is likely to be the next German Chancellor, came out in favour of this same idea 3 years ago. His proposed deal is that the chief EU representative at the UN will always be French, in return for France relinquishing - or "sharing" - the seat

https://www.lepoint.fr/europe/onu-l-allemagne-veut-que-la-france-cede-son-siege-au-conseil-de-securite-30-11-2018-2275513_2626.php

Yes, that goes with the idea that Germany will effectively run EU economic policy and France will effectively run EU military and foreign policy. So it makes some sense for the Franco-German axis that runs the EU but French nationalists will still dislike it
    Do any of the other 25 countries in the EU get a say in how they are governed by their French and German masters?
    If they are in debt and need to borrow Germany tells them what to do and what spending to cut and taxes to raise, see Greece.

In terms of foreign policy France has effectively dictated the EU response to AUSUSUK already
    Not really. Plenty of EU countries are hacked off with French posturing and tantrums. eg the Danes (eurosceptic, pro-Washington)

"Denmark sides against EU, with Biden in AUKUS submarine row https://thelocal.dk/20210922/denmark-sides-against-eu-with-biden-in-aukus-submarine-row/
    #AUKUS
    ps: The most EU sceptical Danish Prime Minister since Denmark became member of EU in 1973 - according to http://Altinget.dk

https://twitter.com/LarsLoecke/status/1440696866220371978?s=20

I imagine there are similar sentiments in several east European countries, desperate to keep the US umbrella overhead
    Compare Denmark's military to France's, it is tiny by comparison.

Plus Denmark is not in the Eurozone ie the EU's inner core, anyway. The same applies to Poland and many of the Eastern European nations for whom NATO is more important
  • isam said:

…..

Ironic that Farage recognises the diminished influence of "global Britain".
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    Pulpstar said:

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

On energy, I had an idea that we should vastly overbuild wind - but encourage large commercial (And some larger homes as we get more potential 'excess' electricity) to have an electric combi-boiler as well as a gas combi so when it's windy we switch over to use less overall gas in the mix (And when it's quiet use gas).

In the era of nationalised industries our energy networks (gas, electricity) were "over-engineered", so that gas storage for example would cater for a "one-in-a-hundred-year" event. That philosophy was deprecated when competition and "market forces" came in. Now we have so-called energy suppliers which are really marketing vehicles. There is no longer any room for redundancy and everything is on fine margins with these suppliers offering fixed price contracts while buying the energy in fluctuating markets. Four years ago Centrica decommissioned the Rough storage facility, which was a depleted gas field in the North Sea. Now there's talk of bringing it back to life. Too late now for the current crisis.
    But I like your idea of building redundancy right into domestic heating with dual combi-boilers. It could be an opportunity for the very capable boiler manufacturers. I have just installed a new boiler which is ready to switch to a gas/hydrogen mixture.

My gas usage was 12.8 kwh and my electric 4.2 kwh last year. For a typical household the gas usage, in terms of KwH is still much higher - and still cheaper. If we could produce 100 GW of electricity via wind then not only would our current electricity consumption be entirely wind generated, but we could also substantially reduce our natural gas usage - as the "extra" could head into electric combis. And when it's not so windy, we still have a substantial wind production - but we just use natural gas as we do now.
    Do you have any appliances or even ever switch a light on.
  • Scott_xP said:

Roofers for remain spikes in October polling shock.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited September 2021
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

My electric use was slightly above average Malc

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/how-much-electricity-does-a-home-use

We have two fishtanks going 24-7, but also solar panels.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited September 2021
    MattW said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Farooq said:

The fact

what is SVT?

ie they should not be initially lossmaking (unless the Price Cap is seriously out of whack).
    Which it is.

My supplier, green, has just gone bust.

I’m about to be transferred to a svt that will likely cost my new supplier ~£400 more than I pay. The shortfall is paid either by the taxpayer, or spread across all future billpayers (most likely).

This is wrong. The cap is unfair. I should be forced to pay the market rate. The only thing the govt should be doing is protecting the vulnerable (not me) by keeping the £20 UC uplift.

Edit: apologies, this is mainly a reply to @Philip_Thompson ’s post upthread.
  • rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Public ownership for things where you can't have proper competition. Like water, trains, energy.
    Ah, "public ownership", that old one. Where the people actually in charge are actually the trade unions. Where sloppy practices, incompetence and shit service are part of every consumers expectation. Some of us lived through those times. Any of the crappiness of the privatised utilities does not come anywhere near.
    Why would that be the case?
    Public ownership just means govt owning most of the shares.
    We can have the same people in charge as now if you think they do such a good job.
    Public ownership in Britain has always meant politicians and civil servants interfering with the production and the services. It has meant underinvestment because politicians have no interest in long term decision making only what will get them to the next election. As has already pointed out BR, BT and the like were deeply crap when they were in the public sector and have massively improved since privatisation.
    Only met one FTSE100 boss. He was very explicit his time horizon for getting results was 3-6 months, and anything beyond that wasnt getting his influence behind it.

Short termism is a problem for UK plc whether public or private sector.
    Not in any of the businesses I have worked in.
    edited September 2021

Scott_xP said:

Well apparently they are looking in the wrong place. I just went and ordered my fireworks from the same place as always - Epic Fireworks up in Manchester - and they had everything I had last year and cheaper as well. Being delivered on Monday.
    Fireworks are made in Asia, so just like all these stories, the core issue is shipping containers and cargo ships are all in the wrong places, docks are backed up etc.

E.g. More than 70 cargo ships queue outside Los Angeles and Long Beach ports amid surge in US imports

Interesting tit bit, apparently Chinese economic output in raw number of items is down because again COVID has screwed up the whole chain for them too.
    ping said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Farooq said:

The fact

what is SVT?

Which it is.

I’m about to be transferred to a svt that will cost my new supplier ~£400 more than I pay. The shortfall is paid either by the taxpayer, or spread across all future billpayers (most likely).

This is wrong. The cap is unfair. I should be forced to pay the market rate. The only thing the govt should be doing is protecting the vulnerable (not me) by keeping the £20 up uplift.

Why don't you volunteer to pay some vulnerable person's bills for them? I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to take your money.
  • On Topic, how does this chart compare with previous Presidents. I assume they pretty much all fall out of favour at some point. Is 8 months faster or slower than normal?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/

Biden's numbers aren't great, but they're not awful either. I think the comparisons are hard, though, because of how much more partisan politics has become.
  • Speaking Franglais is such a Borisism.

The man speaks passable, if unconvincing, French. But his audience wasn't in France, so he didn't.

He thinks it makes him look a bit more Churchillian, when in fact it just further emphasises his twatishness

Scott_xP said:

Roofers for remain spikes in October polling shock.
    Thatcher was pro-EU. Playing an even longer game than Guido.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    On the energy front I checked my OVO account yesterday. It showed I was in credit by £450. There was a useful box attached to tick if I wanted to change my monthly direct debit. Duly ticked it suggested I pay £5 per month for the rest of the contract until December. I agreed.
    edited September 2021

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

It's a mistake to freeze your thinking in aspic like that. Privatization could have been the right thing then, public ownership the right thing now. Times change. There's no greater fan of private sector free enterprise than me, it's what stops me going full on hard left, that I can't envisage a better system for wealth generation, but there are things that sit more logically in the public sector and imo this is one of them. A necessity of life, the same product at point of supply, costs a significant portion of a less well off person's budget so affordability AND stability is required, badly run in the private sector, a confected and fussy market that doesn't work, it ticks every box. As for your other suggestions for de-privatising, rail yes, cars no. We can also look at retail banking and mortgages, strong case there but a good case against too.
    Where is the logic that the man in Whitehall knows best? The reality is that "public ownership" is a misnomer. The public have absolutely no ownership because they have no control. It is pointless ownership. In the past the real "owners" were the trades unions. The nationalised companies were run not for the benefit of the consumer, but for the benefit of the employees of the company -it could be argued that this is the case with "Our" NHS (God bless her and all who sail in her, they can do no wrong). If regulation is applied correctly there is no reason to hose taxpayers money at nationalised industries, that are almost inevitably, badly run and inefficient.
    But we're not in the 70s now. Plenty of things were done badly in the 70s but are done well now. There's no reason publicly owned utilities and transport shouldn't be another of them. It's clear this energy "market" is a nonsense. The case for a rationalized, consolidated, simpler, safer, more efficient model is compelling. You can't go rejecting that out of hand due to childhood memories of Jack Jones and Hughie Scanlon.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited September 2021

On Topic, how does this chart compare with previous Presidents. I assume they pretty much all fall out of favour at some point. Is 8 months faster or slower than normal?

Biden's current rating is lower than every US President's at this stage for the last 50 years except Trump and Ford
  • Aston Villa defender Matty Cash wants to break into the Poland team ahead of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar; the 24-year-old from Slough has a Polish mother and has lodged the paperwork to apply for citizenship

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/12413531/matty-cash-aston-villa-defender-aims-to-make-poland-debut-with-world-cup-approaching

I blame Brexit....something something about red and white boots being a subtle nod...etc etc etc...

About 10 of the top 20 right backs in the world are qualified for England at the moment, it is bizarre. No wonder we are exporting them, Wan-Bissaka likely to choose Congo is another one.
  • isam said:

…..

Also kind of confused that a deal between the EU and the US means that Biden has stabbed Boris in the back. As far as I am aware no one (excepting perhaps La Farage) has ever claimed that the UK had any right to exclusive deals with any other country in the world. If the EU and US are pooling resources for a vital issue like vaccine production then bloody good news.
    The ramping up of the rhetoric over AUUKUS probably hasn't helped. Elements of the British Right clearly got carried away.
  • kinabalu said:

gealbhan said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

FPT for RCS

Replace your bogus "bad mother monkey" story with this (which I learned only yesterday)

"Mouse pups — and even the offspring's offspring — can inherit a fearful association of a certain smell with pain, even if they have not experienced the pain themselves, and without the need for genetic mutations. "

YOU CAN INHERIT, FROM YOUR PARENTS, EVEN GRANDPARENTS, A SHUDDERING FEAR OF SOMETHING STRANGE THAT HAPPENED TO THEM, NOT YOU

Extraordinary. The ramifications are endless, and creepy as hell. Good for someone trying to write spooky stories, tho

I understand they show pictures of snakes and spiders to new born humans, and they scream and yell and cry, fear of these things built into human DNA, part of our nature not nurture.
    But isn't this saying something different. Eg your grandad was trampled by a bull when he was a child so now YOU get terrified when you smell a bull, or something that comes from one. Seems very unlikely to me.
    Unlikely but possible. Genes can be changed while you're alive, we know that already.

If we've evolved an ability to record emotionally scarring genetic memories then that ability could be a good survival mechanism that would be selected via evolution. So those ancestors who developed the ability to warn their descendents via their own genetic memories would be more likely to pass on their genes.
    edited September 2021

Aston Villa defender Matty Cash wants to break into the Poland team ahead of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar; the 24-year-old from Slough has a Polish mother and has lodged the paperwork to apply for citizenship

About 10 of the top 20 right backs in the world are qualified for England at the moment, it is bizarre. No wonder we are exporting them, Wan-Bissaka likely to choose Congo is another one.
    It isn't just right backs, England could put out an incredibly strong 3rd XI with all the talent at the moment. There is talk more will choose other countries like Hudson-Odoi, despite having represented England, because little propsect of getting in the team. Even some mutterings Greenwood might.
  • Mr. Thompson, I recall, vaguely, a plant study that found plants could access the genetic codes going back two or three generations (thought to be useful in case they need to alter their strategy to survive due to changes in the environment).
  • isam said:

…..

Also kind of confused that a deal between the EU and the US means that Biden has stabbed Boris in the back. As far as I am aware no one (excepting perhaps La Farage) has ever claimed that the UK had any right to exclusive deals with any other country in the world. If the EU and US are pooling resources for a vital issue like vaccine production then bloody good news.
    Ignoring Farage as a loon is in general a jolly good idea.

Scott_xP said:

Well apparently they are looking in the wrong place. I just went and ordered my fireworks from the same place as always - Epic Fireworks up in Manchester - and they had everything I had last year and cheaper as well. Being delivered on Monday.
    May be surplus stock because Germany banned fireworks.

Now, where's my Panzerfaust?
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

It's a mistake to freeze your thinking in aspic like that. Privatization could have been the right thing then, public ownership the right thing now. Times change. There's no greater fan of private sector free enterprise than me, it's what stops me going full on hard left, that I can't envisage a better system for wealth generation, but there are things that sit more logically in the public sector and imo this is one of them. A necessity of life, the same product at point of supply, costs a significant portion of a less well off person's budget so affordability AND stability is required, badly run in the private sector, a confected and fussy market that doesn't work, it ticks every box. As for your other suggestions for de-privatising, rail yes, cars no. We can also look at retail banking and mortgages, strong case there but a good case against too.
    Where is the logic that the man in Whitehall knows best? The reality is that "public ownership" is a misnomer. The public have absolutely no ownership because they have no control. It is pointless ownership. In the past the real "owners" were the trades unions. The nationalised companies were run not for the benefit of the consumer, but for the benefit of the employees of the company -it could be argued that this is the case with "Our" NHS (God bless her and all who sail in her, they can do no wrong). If regulation is applied correctly there is no reason to hose taxpayers money at nationalised industries, that are almost inevitably, badly run and inefficient.
    But we're not in the 70s now. Plenty of things were done badly in the 70s but are done well now. There's no reason publicly owned utilities and transport shouldn't be another of them. It's clear this energy "market" is a nonsense. The case for a rationalized, consolidated, simpler, safer, more efficient model is compelling. You can't go rejecting that out of hand due to childhood memories of Jack Jones and Hughie Scanlon.
    The other half of the problem was that the nationalised industries were run to the advantage of the administrative and political system, rather than the customers.

More people try and use the railways? But that would mean needing to invest more money. Much simpler to raise ticket prices to reduce demand.

Need to invest to upgrade to more modern machinery to reduce costs? But that would reduce employment in constituency X. Much easier to subsidise until the next election - cheaper in the short term....

Etc Etc.
    MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

May be surplus stock because Germany banned fireworks.

Now, where's my Panzerfaust?
    I think the previous Pope has it....
  • Farooq said:

ping said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Farooq said:

The fact

what is SVT?

Which it is.

I’m about to be transferred to a svt that will cost my new supplier ~£400 more than I pay. The shortfall is paid either by the taxpayer, or spread across all future billpayers (most likely).

This is wrong. The cap is unfair. I should be forced to pay the market rate. The only thing the govt should be doing is protecting the vulnerable (not me) by keeping the £20 up uplift.

Why don't you volunteer to pay some vulnerable person's bills for them? I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to take your money.
    How do you know if they do or don't do this already? Most people who donate to charity don't mention it every time they post a political viewpoint, as it is rightly a private matter.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited September 2021

kle4 said:

No we havent had a flag-gate variation for at least a month. This analysis is long overdue.
    In that case...

Boris is in the top left position, occupying the 'Lawful Good' position of an alignment chart, but his uncomfortable expression and posture indicates this is not a position that sits well with him, he knows he does not belong.

The chap below him I do not know, and that he has been denied both an image with his own flag, or even a courtesy EU flag like Widodo below him, shows that this was the intention - he's there to make up the numbers, and his face shows clearly he is not happy about that.

Trudeau is rewarded for being an internationally recognised liberal with two of his own flags, with the hand of friendship offered by two EU flags as well, the hand of freidnship extended to the anglophone and francophone communities of Canada. He is shown closer to the flag on our left, indicating he may need to appeal to NDP support in the coming years. The bottles of water are included to remind people of the importance of water supply in the world, even as people focus on Covid.

Biden is shown with EU flag swarming up behind an EU flag, a veiled reference to how shabbily he has just treated an EU Member

Draghi (?) occupies pride of place directly in UvdL's eyeline, as a fellow EU member, but the flag occupies the first part of the image she will see - a subtle reminder that the EU comes before nations or individuals. His downcast expression is in judgement of Biden, below, showing the EU is the rising power.

The lady in the top centre with a head tie has a very satisfied expression, knowing she will get first viewing from someone going from top to bottom. Judging from her position between the UK and Italy, I assume she must in fact be Macron in disguise.

Ursula von der Leyen looms over it all like Galactus waiting to swallow them all, but the distance from the inset images shows that this is an aspiration only, that the EU must grow stronger and larger still to realise its ambitions - it has a way to go.

...And I've run out of material for the other two.
  • kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

There is a reason why so many things were done badly in the 1970s: nationalised industries. If government was bonkers enough to take utilities back into "public ownership", how would you recommend the shareholders (a large number of pension funds) would be compensated? Taxpayers money? And for what benefit? So that you could say, ohhhh that feels nice! That would be ideology that makes Brexit look like uber-rationality. Better and more robust regulation is the answer. Nationalisation has been tried and tested and failed every time.
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

isam said:

…..

Nigel Farage is waking up to the fact that he only achieved any heights in politics because of dissatisfaction with the big three on the EU issue. Now that Brexit has shot his fox, he is desperately searching around for something else he can use to generate outrage, including ridiculous stretches like this. But the Great British public is actually a moderate bunch that sees through such crap. That is why Farage is trying to get bigger in the US, which has a much larger number of mugs.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited September 2021

It isn't just right backs, England could put out an incredibly strong 3rd XI with all the talent at the moment. There is talk more will choose other countries like Hudson-Odoi, despite having represented England, because little propsect of getting in the team.
    That sounds like Mercedes F1 team having five drivers chasing two seats - you have one dead cert so long as he wants it, two good but different choices for the second seat, and two guys hoping to get a seat anywhere else, if it keeps them in the top-tier championship.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    edited September 2021
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/how-much-electricity-does-a-home-use

I must b emissing something , mine was 2374 Kwh electricity and 15313 Kwh gas. So assume yours in my numbers are 12800 and 4200
    PS: I was going to ask what your secret was.
    ping said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Farooq said:

The fact

what is SVT?

Which it is.

My supplier, green, has just gone bust.

I’m about to be transferred to a svt that will likely cost my new supplier ~£400 more than I pay. The shortfall is paid either by the taxpayer, or spread across all future billpayers (most likely).

This is wrong. The cap is unfair. I should be forced to pay the market rate. The only thing the govt should be doing is protecting the vulnerable (not me) by keeping the £20 UC uplift.

I think I can see an extra emergency adjustment of the price cap.

But not for a month, as they wait for the first 3 week measures to bed in.

And a reverse ferret on UC, with this as the excuse, and the previous 10% salami slicing since 2015 as a further reason.

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149

Jeezo, more tartan than a shortbread factory. Certainly looking forward to Aberdeen's cultural renaissance, though would like more evidence of the original naissance.

TBF it's been doing pretty well in the university stakes since the times of James IV. Not sure it needs a renaissance.
    edited September 2021
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

I must b emissing something , mine was 2374 Kwh electricity and 15313 Kwh gas. So assume yours in my numbers are 12800 and 4200
    I think it is Pulpstar who is missing a M and instead has a k (his quoted figures a factor of 1000 out)

Otherwise, I want also want to know what appliances he's using!
    Do we know what percentage of people are on variable utility tarrifs, as opposed to those fixed a year ahead?

In other words, how salient is the actual issue with the public, when the bills arrive at the end of the month?
  • isam said:

…..

Ignoring Farage as a loon is in general a jolly good idea.
    Except you didn't. You voted for him.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    edited September 2021
    Sandpit said:

Do we know what percentage of people are on variable utility tarrifs, as opposed to those fixed a year ahead?

In other words, how salient is the actual issue with the public, when the bills arrive at the end of the month?

Still going to be at least 8% affected (ie those whose fixed year tariff expires in month n, assuming everyone is on a 1 year tariff, edit: which is absurd). And I imagine quite a few of the poorer people won't be on fixed tariffs - lodgers, hose sharers, people who have to prepay.
  • Theory: Keir Starmer has told close confidantes he is standing down (for some reason). They are worried the left would win a subsequent leadership contest, so have urged him to change the election rules.

Seems a plausible reason to have tried it this hastily and haphazardly ..?

https://twitter.com/FisherAndrew79/status/1440708088865050631?s=20

Farooq said:

ping said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Farooq said:

The fact

what is SVT?

Which it is.

How do you know if they do or don't do this already? Most people who donate to charity don't mention it every time they post a political viewpoint, as it is rightly a private matter.
    Ah, well I was just reheating the tedious response that some people give when someone suggests a tax rise to pay for some good cause. It was meant ironically but it didn't really come off.
  • Le strop is over. France's ambassador to the US will return next week.

https://twitter.com/kylieatwood/status/1440714044994777096

Theory: Keir Starmer has told close confidantes he is standing down (for some reason). They are worried the left would win a subsequent leadership contest, so have urged him to change the election rules.

Wasn't there a similar rumour about Starmer resigning some time ago, which was (of course) nonsense.

isam said:

…..

The ramping up of the rhetoric over AUUKUS probably hasn't helped. Elements of the British Right clearly got carried away.
    I haven't heard much of that TBH. Can you identify? AFAICS they are hunkered down as with the EuCo assault on AZ. "Nothing to do with us, Gov."

The megaphone diplomacy seems to be from Macron attention-seeking and electioneering for next spring under pressure from Le Pen, and from the bits of the EU that are falling for his schtick.

I think more appropriately they need to be working on how the EuCo is going to create a viable EU Defence Force (or whatever it is called). As a semi-detached member of NATO for decades, France is perhaps well-placed.

But UVDL the Useless, the great European Commission arse-protector, was German Defence Minister from 2013 to 2019, when Germany manage to reduce their operational submarines from six to one, avoidedd taking a crucial decision on what was to replace Tornado Batch One (for which they are in a pickle now), and God knows what else. So I am not very hopeful.

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Public ownership for things where you can't have proper competition. Like water, trains, energy.
    Ah, "public ownership", that old one. Where the people actually in charge are actually the trade unions. Where sloppy practices, incompetence and shit service are part of every consumers expectation. Some of us lived through those times. Any of the crappiness of the privatised utilities does not come anywhere near.
    We can have the same people in charge as now if you think they do such a good job.
    Public ownership in Britain has always meant politicians and civil servants interfering with the production and the services. It has meant underinvestment because politicians have no interest in long term decision making only what will get them to the next election. As has already pointed out BR, BT and the like were deeply crap when they were in the public sector and have massively improved since privatisation.
    Only met one FTSE100 boss. He was very explicit his time horizon for getting results was 3-6 months, and anything beyond that wasnt getting his influence behind it.

In my first job - telecoms - the horizon was about 3-5 years
    In my second job - oil industry - the horizon was 10-25 years. There were longer contracts - one was planned (but not implemented) that would have be 50 years.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

What (state run) things were we doing badly in the 70s that we're doing well now?

Theory: Keir Starmer has told close confidantes he is standing down (for some reason). They are worried the left would win a subsequent leadership contest, so have urged him to change the election rules.

More likely just wanting to get the housekeeping/internal strife out of the way well before an election and the public starting to pay attention.

Also makes it harder for any challenge to bring in a nutty candidate (same rules would apply to a leadership challenge?)
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

Yes, I think that the only reason to press for a return to the Electoral College is that he plans to step down. Otherwise changing the system makes no sense.

A simpler change that keeps OMOV would be to change the number of MP nominations to perhaps 34%. In effect that would give a system like the Conservative Party.

Le strop is over. France's ambassador to the US will return next week.

https://twitter.com/kylieatwood/status/1440714044994777096

LOL, so they could only keep it up (fnar fnar!) for about ten days, during which time the President was in the US and surely missing the ambassador in his delegation.
    MattW said:

isam said:

…..

I haven't heard much of that TBH. Can you identify? AFAICS they are hunkered down as with the EuCo assault on AZ. "Nothing to do with us, Gov."

The megaphone diplomacy seems to be from Macron attention-seeking and electioneering for next spring under pressure from Le Pen, and from the bits of the EU that are falling for his schtick.

I think more appropriately they need to be working on how the EuCo is going to create a viable EU Defence Force (or whatever it is called). As a semi-detached member of NATO for decades, France is perhaps well-placed.

But UVDL the Useless, the great European Commission arse-protector, was German Defence Minister from 2013 to 2019, when Germany manage to reduce their operational submarines from six to one, avoidedd taking a crucial decision on what was to replace Tornado Batch One (for which they are in a pickle now), and God knows what else. So I am not very hopeful.

"God knows what else" - she was so concentrated on improving the German armed forces social and cultural internal structure.... that she entirely missed an upsurge in honest-to-god Nazis in the military....

Oh and picked a contractual fight with the best gun company on the planet, on the basis that their guns were crap. And got her head handed to her in court...
    Sandpit said:

At present it is roughly half and half. Last number I saw was I think 13m (out of 27-28m households) on fixed.

kinabalu said:

gealbhan said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

FPT for RCS

Unlikely but possible. Genes can be changed while you're alive, we know that already.

If we've evolved an ability to record emotionally scarring genetic memories then that ability could be a good survival mechanism that would be selected via evolution. So those ancestors who developed the ability to warn their descendents via their own genetic memories would be more likely to pass on their genes.
    It's all about smell, which IS the most evocative sense, but I still find it unlikely. Eg there's a smell that has an unnerving impact on me, plasticine. When I get a whiff of that it triggers odd and unpleasant feelings; the actual aroma is nice, so it's not that, it's more like a deeply ingrained association of this smell, plasticine, with something menacing. But I bet this is just a kink in my brain rather than anything to do with what my forebears did. Although plasticine was invented a long time ago (1897) so it's possible that one of my grandparents had a run-in with it.
  • Jeezo, more tartan than a shortbread factory. Certainly looking forward to Aberdeen's cultural renaissance, though would like more evidence of the original naissance.

Aberdeen really was a shithole when I first went up there in the late 80s. It was suffering a huge hangover from the first oil boom and crash and simultaneously was metaphorically waking up next to some dodgy looking bird it had thought looked fantastic the night before but now looked a lot different in the cold light of day.

I was there for a couple of years and then left for warmer climes (North Africa and the Middle East) and then much colder climes (Norway). When I returned in around 2010 I mentioned to my wife (who had also worked offshore for a decade) that it had changed into a really nice city with loads of good venues, restaurants and bars and a really good feel to it. That view has only increased in the decade I have worked there off and on since. Even if I don't like travelling for work, I genuinely look forward to spending a week or two in Aberdeen and would recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet weekend away somewhere.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    What is 'strop' in French? Google Translate doesn't know.
    (Nor any other language)
    Foxy said:

Yes, I think that the only reason to press for a return to the Electoral College is that he plans to step down. Otherwise changing the system makes no sense.

A simpler change that keeps OMOV would be to change the number of MP nominations to perhaps 34%. In effect that would give a system like the Conservative Party.
    Heh, well we provide a pretty good balanced sample of opinions!

So, should I urgently trade out my position on Starmer as next PM (currently would be a profit) which is based on my opinion that he and Johnson will fight the next election and his odds still have further to come in?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

The actual energy backbone - National Grid - is publicly owned, and there's zero competition in the domestic water supply market - so the likes of Severn Trent are as good as. As @MaxPB said all the energy companies are are brands, a website and a call centre attached.
    National Grid is not publicly owned. It is a private company (of which I am a tiny shareholder).
  • rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

In my first job - telecoms - the horizon was about 3-5 years
    In my second job - oil industry - the horizon was 10-25 years. There were longer contracts - one was planned (but not implemented) that would have be 50 years.
    Yep as a basic standard in the oil industry the horizon is generally a minimum of 10 years because that's how long it takes to get from licence award, appraisal and development through to plateau and CoP on even the smallest of fields. More generally it is in the 20-25 year range. This is why Norway has always been a better place for oil companies to do business than the UK. They may have higher overall taxation regimes but they understand that what oil companies want is stability. When a field development takes 10-15 years you don't want the Government changing all the rules every 3 or 4 years - which is exactly what the UK Government does continuously.
  • Carnyx said:

Jeezo, more tartan than a shortbread factory. Certainly looking forward to Aberdeen's cultural renaissance, though would like more evidence of the original naissance.

TBF it's been doing pretty well in the university stakes since the times of James IV. Not sure it needs a renaissance.
    I was tootling about Old Aberdeen & associated campus with a friend in a wheelchair last week and it is pleasant if a little ghost-townish. As someone brought up in Aberdeen it's cultural influence always seemed somewhat muted on the rest of the city. A place I didn't know about is the Cruickshank Botanic Gardens, also very nice if not ideal for a wheelchair beginner.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    Now back in Germany enjoying dinner in Freiburg DomPlatz. Election fever is, well, not obvious, although Merkel is in the news for her latest speech. The parties' slogans are as dull as their politics, "for you in parliament", "for stability", etc. Although the AfD has "your country, your rules", but unlike the others their candidates don't brave being photographed for the posters.
  • Carnyx said:

I was tootling about Old Aberdeen & associated campus with a friend in a wheelchair last week and it is pleasant if a little ghost-townish. As someone brought up in Aberdeen it's cultural influence always seemed somewhat muted on the rest of the city. A place I didn't know about is the Cruickshank Botanic Gardens, also very nice if not ideal for a wheelchair beginner.
    One of my favourite walks is down from Union Street to Old Aberdeen. There is the most awesome second hand bookshop on the Spital where all the graduates sell their books once they leave Uni. Great for getting obscure University texts on all manner of subjects.
    geoffw said:

(Nor any other language)

une colère
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    The prime minister of the United Kingdom in his own words …. https://twitter.com/phantompower14/status/1440610386651222024
  • Some people think I’m lying when I tell them that Canada’s Prime Minister has been re-elected.

It’s Trudeau.

Just in case they hadn't realised.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,097
    rcs1000 said:

Surely this should be the key measure going forward:

In hospital numbers down 13% on last Tuesday. Another week of that (which is possible based on case rates in older groups to now) puts England comfortably under 5000 for first since end of July.

Question is what happens next with current case rise (predominantly young atm)

https://twitter.com/ThatRyanChap/status/1440333337835425800?s=20

@Chris???

Where are you???

Come to mention it... @Heathener, where are you too???
    Hi I'm here. Watching figures with caution and neither pessimism nor optimism.
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

What (state run) things were we doing badly in the 70s that we're doing well now?
    If you replace "well" with "better", essentially all of them.
    geoffw said:

(Nor any other language)

If it's like a Weekend, Le Strop.
    MattW said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

If you replace "well" with "better", essentially all of them.
    I think essentially all services, public and private, are better today than they used to be.
    Don't @ me with your counterexamples.
  • If this is the reaction, @Mij_Europe, doesn’t it say more about Paris thinking too much with its gut than its head? Johnson is a wind-up merchant—that’s his schtick—partly because it distracts from his ruthlessness (in this case, costing France €€€)

https://twitter.com/TomMcTague/status/1440706594602323988?s=20
  • Some people think I’m lying when I tell them that Canada’s Prime Minister has been re-elected.

It’s Trudeau.

That must be news just in.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

What is the "it" that has been tried?
  • Jeezo, more tartan than a shortbread factory. Certainly looking forward to Aberdeen's cultural renaissance, though would like more evidence of the original naissance.

Aberdeen really was a shithole when I first went up there in the late 80s. It was suffering a huge hangover from the first oil boom and crash and simultaneously was metaphorically waking up next to some dodgy looking bird it had thought looked fantastic the night before but now looked a lot different in the cold light of day.

I was there for a couple of years and then left for warmer climes (North Africa and the Middle East) and then much colder climes (Norway). When I returned in around 2010 I mentioned to my wife (who had also worked offshore for a decade) that it had changed into a really nice city with loads of good venues, restaurants and bars and a really good feel to it. That view has only increased in the decade I have worked there off and on since. Even if I don't like travelling for work, I genuinely look forward to spending a week or two in Aberdeen and would recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet weekend away somewhere.
    I was there at University and beyond between 79 and 87. I thought it was a very attractive city then. Funnily enough I only left due to an oil price crash of 86.
This discussion has been closed.